New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: DrK's Gestalt Game IC

Amy gives Alyssa a nod and turns back to the guards.

My apologies sirs, but the mistress would also appreciate the location of a good library?

At the word appreciate, another gold coin is handed over.

Spoiler
    Show

Amy is, vaguely, playing the caravan guard / butler / tour manager for the merchant and Lady.

I haven't bothered bluffing or diplomacying as she's basically just asking a polite question and paying for the moments of attention. If you want those rolls, let me know (and everyone better be ready for a fight...).

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

The guard looks at Amy before glancing at the rest. Grunting he points down the street leading SE. "Guild hall for crafters is down there. Best library that ain't in Zeech's palace or the Temple of Vecna is in the playhouse. Now get out of my sight before I fine you for loitering.
    THe city is packed around you as you walk through the streets, every crossroad filled with yet another statue of the mad prince and currently performing street artists of various types...

Spoiler: Big map
    Show

Spoiler: Where to?
    Show

Still not sure where you are going?
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #513

Chimera

Pergrim turns from the guards and, following the others, makes his way into the tumult of Alhaster. He had always felt more at ease in cities. Even as a child, when his parents told him the story of the city bat and the country bat, he had argued that the country bat hadn't given her urban cousin's home a proper chance.

This city, though, was different. It was full of life, but you could hardly tell.

"This whole place feels off," he murmurs. "But we'd best get to the guild hall and register before anything — I wouldn't be surprised if the guards send somebody to check up on us. After that, we could find an inn and see if we can't find this Lashonna."

4. - Top - End - #514

Flumph

Amy nods at Pergrim's words.

I read about this place when studying how to govern a town. On paper there is much to applaud here. Actually being here is quite different. It feels like there are altogether too many people and not enough hope to go around.

She pauses, eyeing the crowd with her hand on the hilt of her sword.

The Guild is this way. They should be able to recommend suitable accommodation, although we may struggle for much space during the festival.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb grimaced. The city made him uncomfortable and he was willing to let the others know. It seemed like an intriguing place no doubt, and he should let the other city-dwellers network and do what they do best.

"Let's get situated then if needed. The dragon people whisper of sounds interesting, but we had best head for the lady shortly too. I will let you lads lead the way..." His tiger was well behaved for now, but the druid sensed his growing anxiety.
    No longer have time to participate in games. I apologize.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

The throngs slow you down but you soon reach the guild house. A massed throng of activity around the building as craftsmen and woman and other artisans set up stalls. As you all approach the guild house the pair of heavily armed dwarves begin to get a lot of appraising looks as the well made weapons and armour of clear good quality craftsman. Eventually a large fat woman limps down to see you, a mask held gently in front of her face, "Craftsman aye? You registered. We don't welcome oustiders aye?"

7. - Top - End - #517
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Baervard

"Aye." Baervards says and shows the lady his papers. "I'm here on business." He says, then takes a look around at the crowd. "Rune circles." He says loudly to the guildma'am, pretending to shout above the crowd. "My partner Pergrim will handle all the local guild arrangements." He nods towards Pergrim and takes a step back, looking carefully through the crowd this time, his trained eye on details of crafts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just looking at what the going standard seems to be in the local area. He has pitiful Appraise ranks (+3 bonus) but knows much about the actual crafting of armor and weapons (+20 and +9, respectively). Mostly just interested if the local stuff is of low, medium, or high quality on average.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

The woman pauses, clearly appraising the dwarves equipment before she smiles a narrow smile. "Dwarves are always welcome here. We appreciate the dwarven artisan's skills." Looking about the stalls Baevard can clearly see there is a hierarchy. Those in the streets stalls are poor and shoddy whilst those nearer the stout stone are much better. The shops inside the vaulted halls are the best quality and are already packed.

The woman points to a small stall, a few planks of wood and a tent at the base of the building near one of the 4 arched doorways. Not the highest honour but close. As she sees how you react she smiles again... "Now. There is the matter of your fee to the guild eh? Standard rates are 200gp for initial joining and then 12% of any profits that you make, not including the 5% voluntary tribute to the Tyrants temple and lord Zeech. "

9. - Top - End - #519

Chimera

Pergrim nodded. "Voluntary, of course." But inwardly he notes the woman's choice of words — lord Zeech, not prince. He didn't know enough about the faith of Hextor to tell whether "tyrant" was an insult or not. As for the placement of their booth, and the price, he thought it best not to argue too much.

"This should do quite well for us; we understand it's a busy week. And it's good to find such a well-regarded place as this," he says, counting out the coins for their entrance fee.

Spoiler: checks
    Show

Sense Motive = (1d20+9)[17]
    Diplomacy = (1d20+13)[18]

10. - Top - End - #520

Flumph

Standing quietly behind Pergrim, Amy listens intently to woman's words.

Spoiler
    Show

Lord vs Prince? Know (local): (1d20+12)[13]
    Tyrant title? Know (religion): (1d20+18)[25]

11. - Top - End - #521

Flumph

Seeing the dwarves looking around the trade hall, Amy steps quietly to the Guild representative.

Pardon, ma'am. We have had quite a journey to get here. Could you recommend somewhere appropriate to stay?

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

She takes the money and nods. "Stall be ready with your papers at second bell tomorrow morning. It'll have the officials seals from Prince Zeech's servants as well." She regards Amy for a second before nodding and pointing down the main road. "Best suggest the Horned Devil. Despite the name it ain't so bad. Its quiet, mostly rich merchants. Normally have rooms." Amy knows that the "Tyrant" is nothing special, its a local name for the high priest's of Hextor here as the God is known as the Lord Tyrant.

"If you're looking for somewhere a bit more down to Earth try the Hammer down by the arena. Its mostly pit folk, fighters and the armourers. You may like it. "

13. - Top - End - #523

Flumph

Amy gives the woman a polite bow before stepping back and towards the door a little, waiting for the others to finish.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Baervard

"Sounds fair." Baervard says. "While I had not intended on selling this trip it's good to be prepared. My companions have some other arrangements to make that we must see to. Horned Devil and the Hammer? Thanks for the tip." He says and nods. "Til tomorrow."
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

15. - Top - End - #525

Flumph

As the party leaves, Amy points in the direction of the Horned Devil.

If you want to try to go to the noble gathering we'd better play the part. The lady suggested the Horned Devil as a more upper class establishment.

Spoiler
    Show

If things are still happening inside, just ignore this until we do actually leave.
    Last edited by Tombs; 2014-09-22 at 07:49 AM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa rolled her eyes at the exchange, knowing full well they had been taking advantage of ... and with people like this, all it took was once. However, there were more important things to do than bicker with this bookkeeper. She wanted to see the library and do a little studying before they went and tried to connect with the Lady.

Time was wasting ... time the world might not have ...
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Walking down into town the party draw little attention. A pair of heavily armoured dwarves not that unusual in a town dedicated to a War Deity. The women and Jeb looking much like a noble and her entourage. Reaching the "Horned Devil" the rather foreboding name gives rise to an austere looking 3 storey stone building with fanciful gargoyles on the upper surfaces and a massive banner proclaiming its name above the door.

At the door a pair of massive heavily armoured bouncers with flails hanging from their belts look at you all deciding if you are wealthy enough for entrance. Soon enough however the magical armour, glowing power and spells decide the issue. The door is opening revealing the plush looking inn inside. A dozen large tables with red and black tablecloths and comfortable chairs, most arranged far enough apart to avoid casual overhearing. As you enter the patron approaches you. A powerful looking women, tall and muscular with curling black horns and reddish skin. She bows low, "Greetings to the Devil. Do you need rooms, food or entertainment. I can cater for all 3..."

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb works hard to contain himself in this situation. The creature of evil asking him which of three things he required of which he required none. He would wait and watch for the others to respond. The druid was grateful he had such allies here to support him in these endeavors.

19. - Top - End - #529

Flumph

Amy steps forwards and gives the patron a polite bow.

Greetings, honoured patron. My masters and the Lady require food and rooms for the festival. The Guild of Craftsmen recommended your establishment.

Spoiler
    Show

Insert name of Guild here...

I'm assuming this is a tiefling, not an actual demon or devil?
    Knowledge (religion): (1d20+18)[38]

Also, is there anything which might indicate whether she is an infernal or abyssal speaker (such as a sash with such writing on it)?

If it's not a tiefling, Amy will be polite but notably more on edge speaking to her.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

The tiefling smiles, an inisignia around her throat proclaiming her loyalty in Infernal to Asmodeus. She grins revealing pointed teeth.A suite is 2 good for the night. 3silver for rooms for your men. No armour, one side weapon in the bar if you please. First round need buy a drink to toast Prince Zeech's health in his 2nd decade of glorious rule.

21. - Top - End - #531

Flumph

Amy returns the smile as she hands over a pouch containing 50gp.

This will cover the first week. Three suites for the masters and the Lady, plus a pair of rooms. We'll be in the bar later so we can toast the health of your great city.

She pauses and gives the patron a grin.

And yours as well, of course.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa kept outwardly calm, but internally she was boiling! This place stank of evil and cruelty, and she hated every moment they were in it. If it weren't for the high stakes they were playing, she would have brought this place down around Zeech's ears ... for now, his punishment would have to wait. They must find out more information about the coming calamity, and see if Balakade had come here, or found any information.

Waiting impatiently, Alyssa stared straight ahead, ignoring the world around her as she waited for her room. Surely such an imperious attitude would serve her well here, of all places.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

23. - Top - End - #533

Chimera

They settle themselves quickly in their rooms, Pergrim searching them as best as he is able for hidden doors, spyholes and the like. While he didn't share Alyssa's obvious repulsion for the city, he held no illusions about its denizens. They might appear outwardly law-abiding, but you'd have to be a fool to turn your back on them if the guards weren't in sight.

As they make ready to leave, he lingers about the bar for a few moments, inquiring about the location of Lady Lashona's estate.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show

Search rolls
    (1d20+28)[42]
    (1d20+28)[45]
    (1d20+28)[39]
    (1d20+28)[36]

Gather Info rolls (Presumably will take time, but it'd happen while they're walking

(1d20+13)[25]

We all trying to head to Lashonna, or the library?

24. - Top - End - #534

Flumph

As they head to the servants rooms, Amy murmurs to Jeb

I wish I'd brought a brace of Alarm spells. I can't imagine anyone bothering to rob the two of us, but our rich, noble friends may be in danger. That said, there are plenty of other people staying here. I can't believe they all have guards standing over them every hour of the day.

As they walk, Amy will eye the doors of the other rooms and their locks, trying to determine how much safety they really offer the people behind them. When they arrive, she pauses at her door and turns back to Jeb.

You aren't a man of the city and I'd wager you don't frequent this type of inn. Do you want me to check your room for hidden surprises? I doubt I'll be as good as our master craftsmen but I've some experience of sleeping in unfriendly places. Or, do you think we should take some more serious precautions?

When she's finished talking to Jeb and moving in, Amy will walk back down to the tap room to wait for the others. She'll buy a round for the house and lead a toast to the health of the city and the proprietor of this fine establishment. After that, she'll find some of the more serving-class folk and play the serving-maid, chatting along and finding out what the gossip is in town. If there is a friendly-looking card game going on, she'll join that (nothing too high-stakes or aggressive-looking - she's careful not to throw money around). If possible, she'll steer conversation towards this party Lashona is supposed to be attending.

The others will find Amy in the tap room, being sociable with the people there. When they look like they want to move, Amy will excuse herself from the company saying she needs to attend to her duty.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm imagining a small, single room with a little basic furniture, a heavy door and a lock. Basic but secure. Is that about right?

Search checks:
    (1d20+21)[29]
    (1d20+21)[37]
    (1d20+21)[30]
    (1d20+21)[28]
    (1d20+21)[33]
    (1d20+21)[33]
    and remembering I get extra rolls and bonuses for being an elf (hidden doors) and a geometer (magic glyphs and traps).

Downstairs, I'll drop 10gp on drink. Should buy a round at this time of day? Let me know if it needs to be more.

Not expecting to get much from Gather Info, but worth a shot since I'm not asking about anything that isn't apparently common knowledge for people who have been in town a while:
    (1d20+3)[9]

Gambling; not looking to join a game where I can lose much. If I start winning I'll deliberately throw a few hands to bring any profit down. I don't mind coming out on top, but no intention of taking any serious money from anyone here. Profession (gambler):
    (1d20+5)[14]

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

With money taken care of you are shown to your rooms. Which, apart from a small statue of Prince Zeech in pride of place in every rooms are pleasant, clean and well made. You are soon able to settle in and reconvene in the main bar room.

A table in the corner with partial shrouds around it gives the 5 of you a fair degree of provacy and the food and drink is delicious, as long as none of you choose to partake in the strange drugs and intoxicants included on the menu. You do note that there several strange dishes such as Purple Worm jelly and grilled Tojanda on the menu alongside the normal range of cuisine.

As the party settle down Pergirm asks about a bit about the mysterious Lady Lashona getting a range of answers. sadly it seems that recently the Lady has become extremely reculsive. Rumours of an assassination attempt by the the Church of the Ebon triad have left her scared so no-one has been able to get an appointment, and many say she will be staying in seclusion for several months. However, one merchant confides in you, its known that she has agreed to come to Prince Zeech's private party at the palace in a week's time. With the proviso that Zeech protect her of course.

Pergirm, in a surprising turn of information finding establishes that Arhmin Loratio, the owner of the exclusive inn "Deluxury" holds some tickets to distribute at his leisure, to ensure that the ball is full and Prince Zeech feels suitable loved by the populace.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb nods to Amy, "Please do. Tomorrow I intend to become something more menacing like an ogre or half-orc and pass myself off as a bodyguard for our 'noble' friends. Would solve a few of our appearance problems."

Spoiler
    Show
    What do the bodyguards look like race-wise? Do I sort of have free reign of brutish things or are there only a couple/picking something like that would make us stand out more?

After all the information has been relayed to Jeb, he turns to the group in low tones and mentions, "So it's clear that we inquire about tickets from this Loratio fellow, but then it looks like we have a week of time to kill. There were tales of a three headed dragon and undead in a grove nearby. Would people be interested in venturing out in our downtime or are there more city affairs we will need to take care of in the meantime?" Jeb makes a face at the last part. He clearly wishes to be free of the city as quickly as he can but will abide by the group's consensus.

27. - Top - End - #537

Flumph

That's traitor's grove? A sightseeing tour sounds interesting to me.

28. - Top - End - #538

Chimera

"I know this city isn't your sort of place, but the sooner we find this Lashonna the sooner you'll be free of it," Pergrim says. "And like as not, that'll mean getting in somebody's good graces here. If this Loratio's got tickets to the ball's she'll be at, I suggest we see about impressing him."

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb tips his head slightly to Pergrim, "Aye, that's our first priority, but if we find ourselves with tickets and some time on our hands, a trip may help to clear our minds. Let's think on it once we acquire access..."

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Deluxury is a large and extensive inn/brothel overlooking the wide plaza leading up to the palace gates. As you arrive the guards in long flowing purple robes over chain mail hesitate before nodding you into the plush dimly lit interior. A semi-clad women chained to a pole singing a noun haunting melody adding a strangely melancholic air.

As you're seated, mentioning you wish to speak with Master Loratio the serving women nods and suggests an expensive vintage of wine, the bottle being a whopping 20gp before the master arrives...

White fur, an elaborate moustache and a fine suit he looks at the party curious too are the vintage they chose. I am Master Loratio, I was told you wanted to see me, I can only assume its tickets to Prince Zeech's ball. I may have some, but only for suitable adventurers of noble renown..

Spoiler: talk yourself up..
    Show

Each person need tell him a story or deed and a diplomacy or bluff/intimidate as appropriate to go with their tale

Choosing a good (expensive ) vintage gets a +2...