New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: DrK's Gestalt Game IC

Alyssa

As the horror of the naga's penetrated even Alyssa's mighty will, her connection to her spells was shattered, leaving her alone and practically unarmed. Blinking in frustration, she tried to move away from the nagas, least they constrict her with their coils.

However, before she could do anything, Pergrim arrived at her side, using the healing power of one of his items to wipe free the effects of the naga's visage.

With a throaty laugh, she called out to the nagas. "Oh, I am not done with you yet, worms! Burn again!"

As if on cue, the fires from her previous spell continued to burn, flaring once more before finally dissapating. Even as those flames disappeared, she called upon her connection to the divine and called down a column of flame, striking between where the disappearing naga had previously stood and the still visible unengaged one.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Firebrand burns anyone hurt last time one more time (since no one took a full round action to make a DC 20 Ref save to put out the flames). So (5d6)[13] + 50% for each naga (+100% for each swarm). Not sure that there is a second Ref save for 1/2 (since they're on fire), but if so DC is 20 (still a -2 on the save from smite spell). Totals = 19 for nagas, 26 for swarms

Then five foot step to L27 and cast flame strike, target N28-29, O28-29. Hoping to catch the invisible naga in this. (11d6)[37], Ref save vs DC 21 for half damage; half is fire, half is divine (if it matters).

As for Grillin ... "I'm not dead yet! I'm feeling better!"

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 77/77; AC: 18 (20 vs evil); F +8 / R +11 / W +13 (+2 saves vs evil)
    Turn undead 4/6; Smite spell 0/3

Active effects
    chain of eyes (20 hrs)
    greater mage armor (20 hrs)
    endure elements (2 days)
    quick potion (20 hrs)
    celestial brilliance (20 days)
    heart of earth (20 hrs)
    protection from evil (10 min)
    haste (6 rnds)
    Inspire Courage (2 rnds) +3
    magic circle (110 min?)
    Spoiler: Divine Spells
    Show
    0 (6): detect magic x2, light x2, amanuensis, message
    1 (6+1): endure elements, protection from evil, protection from evil, shield of faith x2, divine favor, burning hands
    2 (6+1): resist energy x2, consecrate, lesser restoration, lesser restoration, remove paralysis, detect thoughts
    3 (4+1): dispel magic x2, remove curse, wind wall, searing light
    4 (4+1): celestial brilliance, restoration, spell immunity, death ward, holy smite
    5 (3+1): disrupting weapon, flame strike, plane shift, true seeing

Spoiler: Arcane Spells
    Show
    0 (4+1): caltrops, silent portal x2, prestidigitation, acid splash
    1 (6+1): chain of eyes, lessor orb of fire, lessor orb of fire, true casting, shield x2, mage armor
    2 (5+1): quick potion x2, alter self, scorching ray, seeking ray, web
    3 (4+1): fireball, greater mage armor, greater disrupt undead, fly, stinking cloud
    4 (4+1): resilient sphere, assay spell resistance, orb of fire, heart of earth, summon monster IV
    5 (3+1): prying eyes, firebrand, earth reaver, wall of stone
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-03-12 at 05:47 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

The party attack with great gusto. Nan who had appeared beside the snake trapped in the flapping air stabs forward 3 times, spera flashing like a snakes tongue as she pierces its body 3 times near killing it and leaving in quaking in fear. Seconds later the creature's final energies are expended as the flaming brand reduces its mortally wounded body to ash.

Baevard explodes through the blade barrier with Jeb, both shedding blood and flesh before he draws forth the rod of Law, the potent force of the artefact even driving back the darkness of the pit for a second and heals the young cleric/mage's mind. Back in the room of torture the swarms crackle and burn with holy fire as Grillin's soul is literally hammered into his body. The two swarms, one much roasted by holy fire, the other merely singed swarm over Baevard and Grillin!

Spoiler
    Show

(3d6)[8] to Grillin and Baevard
    DC 20 or nauseated
    DC 20 of (1d4)[1] INT poison

The two surviving naga's twist and squirm before a raging column of fire engulfs them descending from the heavens like a great spear of fire!

Spoiler
    Show
    Naga 1 - shaken, blind, fatigued, whirwind, cowering, dead
    Naga 2 - shaken, blind, whirwind, 118 damage
    Naga 3 - shaken, 65 damage
    Swarm 1 - blind, 98 damage
    Swarm 2 - 62 damage

The invivisble naga, still bound in the whirling whirlwind hisses with rage and pain from the flames searing its body and hurls a ball of fire into the midst of the party, the crackling dark flames roasting the elemental, Nan, Jeb, Pergim and Alyssa
    Spoiler
    Show

Concentration (1d20+19)[28] VS DC 20
    Corrupted fireball (10d6)[38] half fire, half corrupt REF DC 19 for half

THe third naga, only lightly cooked and still armed with its gaze of insanity pushes through the cloud of dust and worms and near enough stumbles upon poor Alyssa, teeth trying to rip into her flesh

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+12)[19] dam (2d6+7)[17] and DC 22 fort or (1d6)[5] INT poison

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Feeling the poison drain him, Grillin curses, loudly, in multiple languages, some of which may or may not be real languages. He then flies up and away, and waits for Baevard to do the same before dealing with the swarms, at least for the moment.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action (40ft total) to fly up and away from the swarm but not through the blade barrier (don't have map, so I'm trusting you DrK to make me not fly stupid).

Will delay until baevard moves, then will use Major Image to create an illusion of a wall of Stone completely surrounding the swarms. DC 18 if they interact with the wall (unless Gnome +1 dc illusions works with the SLA, then it's dc 19)

Spoiler: buffs
    Show

True Seeing: 11 minutes
    Karmic Aura: 4 rounds DC 20
    Mage armor: +4 for 22 hours from this morning
    Overland flight: fly 40ft for 22 hours from this morning
    Bound Vestiges: DC 18 Augments: +3 saves
    Haures
    Inaccessible Mind (mind blank)
    Incoporeal Movement
    Acererak
    Lich's Immnities: Immune cold and electric
    Undead Healing
    Last edited by lelfin; 2014-03-13 at 10:20 AM.
    Casters Vs. Everything - Rilril
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin
    "FR" Shadowdale - Halevel
    The Reflection of Heroes - Palen

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nan

A ball of black-hearted flame - how was such a thing even possible? - washed over Nan. She glanced over at her colleagues - especially at Alyssa, who had seemed to be wavering at death's door already.

Instead, Nan peered into the elemental maelstrom where the burst of flame had originated, but was hard pressed to figure out where exactly the bead of flame had originated from the fireball. Instead, she called on the powers of her armbands to, briefly, give her the reach of a great giant. She stabbed again and again at the naga biting at Alyssa.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bard music is now gone.

I'm not sure about the exact positioning of the third naga, but am assuming that Alyssa hasn't moved since the last map and that the Naga is now adjacent to her. If that doesn't work and Nan couldn't reach the naga, even with the greatreach bracers, she'll instead deliver the attacks on naga 2. In which case, Nan would try to base her targeting on the square where the fireball 'bead' originated'. If need be, she'd take a 5' step and activate her greatreach bracers to reach that square.

A first successful strike will trigger an escalation of fear, will DC 19 negates.

Attack 1 (1d20+21)[31] Piercing (1d8+12)[16]
    Holy, if an evil outsider (1d6)[4]
    Attack 2 (1d20+21)[26] Piercing (1d8+12)[16]
    Holy, if an evil outsider (1d6)[2]
    Attack 3 (1d20+16)[32] Piercing (1d8+12)[15]
    Holy, if an evil outsider (1d6)[3]
    Attack 4 (1d20+11)[22] Piercing (1d8+12)[20]
    Holy, if an evil outsider (1d6)[3]

Nan is currently 29/115 HP, and AC 29 (touch 14).
    Active Effects:
    Greater Rage (Whirling Frenzy) - expires at the beginning of her next action
    Blasphemy - -4 strength for this and one more round
    Haste
    Alter Self - into troglodyte.
    Endure Elements
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Wounded once more, Jeb worries about his choices coming to this temple. He clearly cannot outpace their damage with healing, he must strike.

Jeb calls for his elementals to stop whirlwinding and start striking. He charges towards the nagas that still stand.

Spoiler
    Show

Charge on whatever naga is still alive.

Claw 1: (1d20+26)[41] to hit, damage: (2d6+19)[26] + (1d6+2)[3] +(1d4)[2] evil undead bonus
    Claw 2: (1d20+26)[41] to hit, damage: (2d6+19)[22] + (1d6+2)[6] +(1d4)[3] evil undead bonus

If both claws hit, DC22 fort vs daze for one round
    If both claws hit, (4d6+21)[35] damage from rend +(1d6+2)[6] +(1d4)[3] damage evil and undead bonus

Bite 1: (1d20+21)[22] to hit, (1d8+3)[6] damage +2 damage vs undead, +(1d6+2)[4] +(1d4)[2] damage if evil and undead

If one claw hits: Improved grap. grapple check: (1d20+27)[29]

Rake attack on pounce (OR if grappling)
    Rake 1: (1d20+21)[28] to hit, damage is (2d6+11)[19] +[roll]1d6+2[roll] +[roll]1d4[roll] damage if evil and undead
    Rake 2: (1d20+21)[32] to hit, damage is (2d6+11)[19] +[roll]1d6+2[roll] +[roll]1d4[roll] damage if evil and undead

IF EVIL, all hits (VS touch AC) require a DC14 fort save or they take (1d6)[4] initial dex damage, (2d6)[4] dex secondary damage

Elemental slams:

vs nagas
    (1d20+12)[29] damage (2d6+2)[8]

vs swarm (probably will do nothing)
    (1d20+12)[13] damage (2d6+2)[10]

in case of crit or if one is close enough for a full attack
    (1d20+12)[27] damage (2d6+2)[7]

No longer have time to participate in games. I apologize.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

The swarms vanish behind a wall of stone that appears from nowhere. Seconds later a pair of air elementals dart into the illusory stone funnel and the swirling winds send the worms scattering around the room where the creatures writhe and wriggle into the stone work creeping away.

Spoiler
    Show

One had 8hp left and the other would not survive the elementals so will disperse the swarms now as otherwise it just prolongs the combat without any point.

Even as that happens the pair of surviving Naga are assailed by the angry raging troglodyte and a massive and by now blood smeared angry cave troll. The most wounded naga is killed almost instantly as the thrusting spear penetrates it evil warped mind. The second writhing like a fish on a spear as Nan holds it upright in the way of the charging troll that rips the creature apart in bestial savagery, shreds of mangled naga decorating the Temple.

Even as the last naga dies and seconds later the blade barriers fade away the familiar shimmering and bending of reality surrounds you and the torture room and its instruments of horror twist and change as another vision of millennia past appears before you...

The ruins of the room and bodies and blood splatters fades away to be replaced by a torture chamber. Wailing victims - elves and winged eladrin - hang by barbed chains from the walls. In the foreground stand 2 figures. One is the handomse man you recognise from the first visions as Kyuss, dark haired with strong intense features dressed in flowing robes with a strange executioner's mace at his waist. Beside him is a strange tall thin creature, humanoid in form though insectile in character with 6 long arms. Its eyes are hollow sockets containing pin pricks of dark blue glowing evil and rotting flesh barely covers its long limbs and bones and festering wounds can be seen beneath its moth eaten robes. THe creature wields a long green crystal rod in one hand, a cruel hooked rod in another and with two more hands presents an ornate golden box to the young and mortal Kyuss. Opening the box the young Kyuss retrieves a pair of blood splattered tongs and extracts a writhing green worm from the box, as he views the worm the sullen expression turns into a smile of evil triumph that presages woe for all mortals for millennia to come. Holding the worm he turns to one of the captives, the worms biting fronts parts stretched out eagerly.... Before the first of the Kyuss spawn come to be the vision fades and the room returns to its current state. Bodies, flames and wreckage all that are left. The Temple eerily quiet around the exhausted and battered party.

Behind you the pit yawns invitingly, the spiral rough cut stairs leading into the heart of darkness...

Spoiler
    Show

You win! Encounter over.
    And another vision!
    -- Know (religion) or Know (nature) can provide additional info about the vision

Last edited by DrK; 2014-03-14 at 05:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

As the final naga falls, Nan feels the battle frenzy fade, replaced by the familiar heavy slowness that always follows. And then she is caught up by a strange and confusing vision. When the vision fades, she finds herself crouched on the ground, tail splayed out behind her. Her spear is pointing at the place where the insectile humanoid had been a moment before, and she is poised, ready to strike. The warrior-woman's confusion is palpable, and there is a dry rattle that escapes her thin lips.

"What fresh sorcery is this? Some kind of illusion assaulting me!"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Grillin shakes his head, and says, "It seems to be a vision of the first Kyuss Worm. Disturbing stuff, truly." He then is racked by pain, clutching his head, "My mind...yes, it's is working...no...I think it is a poison...draining my intellect..." As the pain subsides, the gnome looks at the others and says, softly, "I seem to have been poisoned by the worms...if one of you has magics to assist, that would be helpful. If not, I, uh, have other allies at my disposal. I guess it's time to be open, as I not only weave arcane magic, but also know the secrets of reaching between the planes and making pacts with...

Grillin trails off as he feels his soul slipping away, he gasps for air, and looks at the dwarf priest, "I guess I should thank you for the last few minutes. Please tell me you have magics to complete the deal...because my life is slippi..." he trails off as he falls down, his life slipping away.
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa

With a sigh of relief, Alyssa slumped back, her eyes closing wearily. To the group, she gave a wave of thanks. Then the vision swept over them, clearly showing the very first worm of Kyuss used to corrupt his enemies. As the vision faded, tears were rolling down her face Grillin began to speak, to tell others about the portent of the images they had seen. She spun on Grillin in her grief. "And THAT is why we could not use the worms!"

However, her rant is cut short by the look on Grillin's face as he slid to his knees and his soul departed once more. Rushing over, she caught the gnome and pulled him away from the foul room, looking to the others. "I ... I was ill-prepared for todays challenges, my friends. I have prayed for no spell that could return him to us. Can one of you do so?"

(OOC - I'll presume that in mere moments, Grillin will be returned to us ... )

Upon Grillin's return to the land of the living, Alyssa used a charge from her wand to bring him back from the edge of death and helped him to his feet. "It is time to consider a retreat for the evening, my friends. While I possess many spells still, and can heal you of your wounds with quite a few, I have little left to combat the horrors this temple seems to house. I also fear for the target of our search ... if he were but one man against these foul minions of Kyuss, how has he fared? And what if he has fallen under the corruption that these poor souls did?"

As the others considered whether to stop for the night, Alyssa shared with them the visions the group had already had previously, and checked each of them for what ailments they had.

Spoiler: Everyone can read!
    Show
    Okay, visions are my first post in the OOC - Alyssa will share the info with our newcomers. Second, I can burn quite a few spells to get us up in health. Third, I've got a lesser restoration and full restoration saved up.

Now, for the main issues - I have a few more 'combat' spells left, but nothing like what I've used so far. Our melee damage output is VERY nice, so I'm sure we could survive another 'simple' battle, but against heavy-hitting spell-casters or multiple living foes, Alyssa won't be able to contribute as much as before.

Of course, if we run into undead, she's ready to go, and can Purge undead them into non-existance. My only issue/concern with resting is that a) we lose all those extended spells we got coming here; b) anything else that knows we're here has more time to prepare; and c) every hour we delay finding Balakarde is probably another hour he's closer to certain death. I mean, I'm pretty certain that the 'middling student' is already screwed, but that moves to 100% the longer we wait

Show
    HPs: 77/77; AC: 18 (20 vs evil); F +8 / R +11 / W +13 (+2 saves vs evil)

Active effects
    chain of eyes (20 hrs)
    endure elements (2 days)
    quick potion (20 hrs)
    heart of earth (20 hrs)
    magic circle (110 min?)
    Show
    1 (6+1): endure elements, protection from evil, protection from evil, shield of faith x2, divine favor, burning hands
    2 (6+1): resist energy x2, consecrate, lesser restoration, lesser restoration, remove paralysis, detect thoughts
    4 (4+1): celestial brilliance, restoration, spell immunity, death ward, holy smite

Show
    1 (6+1): chain of eyes, lessor orb of fire, lessor orb of fire, true casting, shield x2, mage armor
    3 (4+1): fireball, greater mage armor, greater disrupt undead, fly, stinking cloud
    4 (4+1): resilient sphere, assay spell resistance, orb of fire, heart of earth, summon monster IV
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-03-15 at 10:43 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"The visions are possibly more disturbing than the horrors of this place. The knowledge may be useful in combating the evil. Though to be fair, I haven't encountered any evil this strong in all my years..."

He nods at Alyssa, "Let us make our way out past the barrier and make camp for the night. I was ill-prepared as well for this day. The temple of evil has lasted for centuries, I'm sure it won't change much if we wait a night. Once we are to a safe place, I will use the last of my healing power for the day..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Will convert two more 5th level spells.

Cure light wounds, mass x 2 (2d8+22)[26]

Last edited by Mishkov; 2014-03-15 at 12:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Baervard

"Don't get too comfortable over there." Baervard says with a chuckle as Grillin settles down. "See you again in a moment." He says after Grillin breathes his last.

Baervard nods to Alyssa. "Don't worry lass." He takes a short silver chain from within a pouch and lays it around Grillin's neck, then reaches into another pouch and takes out a handful of diamonds. He whispers a pray and a light shines within his closed fist. He opens his hand and sprinkles the diamond dust over Grillin. "Come back to the living, your place among the dead is not ready."

"Beyond the wall is sound." He says after helping Grillin up. "I do not wish to sleep in this temple unless we must."

Spoiler
    Show
    Revivify.

Baervard will use his wand of Lesser Vigor three times and heal himself full up.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Grillin shudders as he stands. Then mutters a few things under his breath, mostly gibberish, but also a few thank yous in various languages. To the other he says, "Let's search that, ah, hideous place, and retrieve the other items from the room of Knowledge. Then I'm all for sleeping."

Grillin will take his own advice and do a look see through the northern room (assuming the blade barrier is gone, if not, will wait it out). He'll haul the remaining gear out of the southern room as well, and fly it out to where he had placed the stuff from their first fight, hidden among bushes. He'll also unload his haversack of the plate
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

The party, battered and bruised and now with a heavy bag of loot retreat back across the ancient obsidian ring into the Amedo jungle where in a small clearing they are able to make camp nestled beside a pair massive fallen trees where they can sleep off the ground and away from the mud and many of the small insects.

Spoiler
    Show

Enjoy a night off, have a bit of campfire RP. Let me know when you're ready for descending into the pit

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Grillin ensures that the gear they had looted what properly hidden. Shaking his head he joins the group at the fire and sits down, his lips moving as if talking, but no sounds coming out. He opens up a bag and pulls some rations out, and starts munching them while sipping beer from a mug.

After a while he looks at the others, seeming to be focusing really hard, and says, "You guys are pretty good. As good as...well, good as I've journeyed with. Do tend to jump on stamping things out before you think, but good. Nice trick, by the way, being a troll and all." He then looks to the side, and seems to be about to say something, then stops, and deliberately turns towards the rest of the group. "Sorry for the, ah, eccentrics today. Maybe things will be better tomorrow. Difficulty with vestiges is that the more power they provide you, the harder it is to get them to agree to a pact that limits them."
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin

15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

As they placed the blades in the shallow pit they'd dug, Pergrim reflects once more on their make and obvious age. The greatsword was a marvel, plainly, with the touch of pure iron but harder than it should be, and with a sheen no unalloyed iron would have. There was a regalness about it, too; it didn't seem to belong in such a place.

The worm-blades — there was no better name for them, as they were forged in from single piece into a serpentine shape from pommel to tip, with a wavy edge that curled in around itself to form the handguard — they fit.

And they were ancient, all of them. A thousand years old? Two thousand? And still sharp, he thinks, running a hand over the spot where the Ghaele's sword had slashed him.

At Grillin's word, he nods slowly. "I confess, you had me a bit worried for you with the chuckling." He smiles, but nonetheless feels a pang of concern for the gnome; Pergrim didn't quite understand the talk about vestiges, but he plainly was in league with something otherworldly, whose intents and values were of a sort incomprehensible to mortal minds.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nan relaxed a bit as the move shifted clearly away from descending the pit toward a time to rest and regroup. She drops her reptilian form, and assists with the disposal of the remains and assorted bits of nastiness.

Back in the jungle, she has dozens of questions about what the others had learned and fought before they arrived, going through each stage of the battles a couple of times to make sure she's understood.

"This is astonishing. No wonder your previous colleagues decided that this was not for them. Truly, one would have to be desperate or driven to remain. Fortunately, I am both.

"Pergrim and I are fresher to this fight. I will be happy to take a first watch, to give others a chance to rest."

She keens a high, soft ululation as they settle in to recover, a sound that somehow encourages a feeling of well-being entirely out of character with the dangers that all of them faced in the morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    She uses Healing Hymn once we're ready to start the healing casting, adding 13 points to any healing spell cast.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"If you liked that trick, you'll love this one" Jeb said as his form shrunk down to the size of a human and then that of a gnome. The gnome that Jeb appeared as looked like an uncanny copy of Grillin himself. Jeb winked at him as he cast his healing magic for the group under the hymn.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's 56 healing to all based on my previous rolls.

"Thank you for your help this fight, Nan. These are strong creatures of darkness. But let me take the watches tonight, I'll need an hour in the morning when people are up to meditate and prepare for the day, but the lands sustain me in my need for rest and in my need for food or drink."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Chuckling at the transformation, Grillin says, "You have anything for this nasty headache? I can't think clearly...like my mind has been drained of ability. If not...well, there are others who can help but my existing friends might make it difficult."
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa

Alyssa shook her head reprovingly at Nan. "Our companions did not leave for fear ... they were called back to assist Manzorian. There is no shame in that. But I am sure the road will become more arduous before it becomes easier."

To Grillin's question, she nodded. "I have a spell that will help. And can use some others that can heal us for now."

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Restoration on Grillin to heal up his Int damage. Spontaneously cast cure critical wounds (celestial brilliance), for a total of 47 w/Nan's song.

Who else needs healing?

Show
    HPs: 77/77; AC: 18 (20 vs evil); F +8 / R +11 / W +13

Active effects
    chain of eyes (20 hrs)
    endure elements (2 days)
    quick potion (20 hrs)
    heart of earth (20 hrs)
    magic circle (110 min?)
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

THe camp is soon set up in a suitable manner for the party and the 6 renowned heroes are able to spend an afternoon and evening getting to know one another better, sharpening weapons and knocking the kinks out of armour that had been burned or bitten.

The night is actually relatively pleasant. The humid heat dissipating to be replaced with cool and the stars shimmering in the skies above, although the spire nearby does seem to have an effect as the sky is tinged with an unnatural green glow.

With nothing more dangerous than fireflies or ants the night is actually peaceful, certainly more peaceful than most of you would expect and after a hasty breakfast you all once more walk the few miles back to the massive obsidian ring and once again cross the churning worm infested parade grounds returning to the Temple where the oppressive stench of evil is almost thick enough to taste. It looks undisturbed, the corpses of the fallen enemies still lying where they were hacked or magiced down. The heat never reaching inside the Temple so the smell of rot has not begun. THough each of the corpses does seethe and undulate so infested with tiny kyuss worms.

The pit yawns open before you, a spiral of blackness descending into the bowels of Gods know where....

Spoiler
    Show

If you can all finalise spells readied and activated buffs for the day we may begin

21. - Top - End - #231
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Baervard

"...and that's why I can't go back to Potters Public House." Baervard says to Pergrim and laughs loud, then quickly shuts up as the sound of his voice seems weird in the heavy jungle. "Some people don't know how to take a joke, is what I mean." He adds in a softer voice and then turns toward Grillin.

"A good smack on the head seems to have straightened ye out some." Baervard says and nods to the gnome. "Just don't make a habit of it, hear?" Don't know much about vestiges. Hmm. "Everybody ready? Gather round before we cross my bridge. If you're close to me..." He says and sprinkles some salt on the ground in a wide circle. "...then you'll be warded against some of the Naga's nastiness. Ready?"

Spoiler
    Show
    He casts Magic Vestment on his Shield and then Magic Circle against Evil on himself. Anyone who wants to stay within 10ft of him will enjoy it's protections for the next 90 minutes.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Preparing in the morning with his smilodon companion. This time, they would travel together into the horrific tomb. He scratches the beast behind its ears affectionately before changing into a strange creature with gigantic hooks for arms. "I'll stick close, troll was so yesterday though, and I don't want people to confuse Grillin for me today..."

He lumbers forward. This form wasn't especially strong, but it was large and it could hit hard enough...

Spoiler
    Show

Strength sacrifice (1d3)[1]

Current form and companion included.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Grillin shrugs at the dwarfs remark, and simply says, "Let's hope, now if you'll excuse me..."

He move back into the jungle away from the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using wand of Eagle's Splendror.
    Binding Haures (1d20+16)[18]
    Acererak (1d20+16)[20]

Also casting Mage Armor: Duration 11 hours and Overland Flight: 11 hours And uses Hide from Undead on himself

Then he relieves himself, just to give a good reason for being gone.

He returns the group, mutter quietly, and says, "Everyone ready? Alright then, let's go."

Spoiler: buffs
    Show

Mage armor: +4 for 11 hours
    Overland flight: fly 40ft for 11 hours
    Bound Vestiges: DC 18 Augments: +3 saves
    Haures
    Inaccessible Mind (mind blank)
    Incoporeal Movement
    Hide from Undead 11o minutes
    Lich's Immnities: Immune cold and electric
    Undead Healing
    Last edited by lelfin; 2014-03-16 at 09:16 PM.
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Alyssa shook her head reprovingly at Nan. "Our companions did not leave for fear ... they were called back to assist Manzorian. There is no shame in that. But I am sure the road will become more arduous before it becomes easier."
    Nan tilts her head, clearly taken aback by Alyssa's response.

"Of course, all serve in different ways. I meant no disrespect to your friends. And if there was one good thing to come out of the awful moments of that battle, it was watching you and the others face such horrors with such grace. I am honoured to be your shieldmaiden."

Her stories around the campfire are told with fire and passion, but with a certain lack of irony that suggests a very simple world view. Still, she is nice enough.

As preparations to enter the pit commence, Nan is briefly embarrassed to hide her true form again in lizard skin, but when she sees Jeb in his new form, handless and massive, she is reassured. Soon, she is once again a troglodyte. She begins the high keening song again. Her shield takes flight, circling her, and she lifts her spear to signal her readiness to descend.

Spoiler
    Show
    She casts Alter Self and See Invisibility, uses her wand of Endure Elements, and begins using Inspire Courage (with Inspirational Boost).

Inspire Courage: +3 morale to will saves vs fear, to attack rolls and to weapon damage rolls for all of us.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Pergrim didn't dream of worms, but rats.

They'd been on his mind most of the evening as they set up camp — he'd seen one scurry into the bushes as he and Grillin buried the weapons they'd found. And of course the squalor of the temple itself, and the swarms of numberless vermin, brought back memories from long, long ago.

"When I was very young … or maybe it was my grandmother, and I'm just remembering her story," he tells Baervard and the others over the fire at breakfast. "I had a pet rat. One day it disappeared; it probably what was coming. Swarms of rats attacked the city that night, overrunning everything, eating anything that didn't move, and some of what did.

"They'd brought the moonplague with them. I remember the priests moving as quickly as they could — especially the ones the Highfather kept safe from illness — to cleanse the city while we huddled in safehalls, hoping they'd arrive before anyone else turned or died." He gestures to the tall spire in the distance, beyond the jet-black wall, as he hoists his pack. "That was chaos, but it was an accident; just chance. It's incredible that this Kyuss and his followers would willingly embrace it so."

Thinking of those priests, who carried that city's survival on their shoulders, he straightens his back and starts to trek back toward the temple — then, seeing the writhing worms that seem to infest every spot of ground, he lifts himself a few feet above the surface and flies the rest of the way, lest he touch any unnecessarily.

Spoiler
    Show

Updated soulmelds to avoid Nausea and Ability damage.
    Last edited by infomatic; 2014-03-17 at 11:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa

Alyssa smiled gently to Nan. "I apologize. I simply meant to say that our companions were willing to continue further into the temple, but were called back by the Archmage to assist in another task. I hope that they are safe in whatever they do, and that our paths will cross again one day." Before going to sleep, she cast two spells into her vials, granting two potions for the morrow.

In the morning, she rose and prayed, sharing any of her food and drink with the others. Then she gathered her items and followed the others. Before they re-entered the temple, she drank one of the potions, to grant her mystical armor, and then cast two spells. The first hardened her skin, giving it the strength of stone. The other called into being a group of floating eyes that hovered around her. "Welcome back, my sweets. Go forth and search the grounds and the temple, but do not go into the pit. Return at any signs of danger."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting prying eyes and heart of earth. Drinking a potion of greater mage armor. Ready to press!
    Show
    HPs: 77/77; AC: 17; F +8 / R +10 / W +13
    Turn undead 6/6; Smite spell 3/3

Active effects
    celestial brilliance (19 days)
    endure elements (1 day)
    greater mage armor (10 hrs)
    heart of earth (10 hrs)
    prying eyes (10 hrs)
    1 quick potion [alter self] (2 hrs)
    Show
    1 (6+1): protection from evil x2, shield of faith x2, divine favor, burning hands
    2 (6+1): resist energy x2, consecrate, lesser restoration x2, remove paralysis, detect thoughts
    4 (4+1): restoration, spell immunity, death ward, undead weapon bane, holy smite
    5 (3+1): disrupting weapon, flame strike, wall of magma, true seeing

Show
    1 (6+1): lessor orb of fire x2, true casting, shield x2, mage armor
    2 (5+1): alter self, scorching ray x2, seeking ray x2, web
    3 (4+1): fireball x2, greater disrupt undead x2, stinking cloud

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb nods at the others, "I am honored to be by your shield as well. Kyuss does not know it, but it is not rats but us that will consume his temple..." he says with a fire in his eyes. It was time for evil to be purged.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

The temple blazes with life as the party return, the spinning eyes surrounding the glowing Alysaa, the comely troglodyte with its long spear and the unnaturally graceful and friendly looking hooked horror...

Standing at the top of the great pit one of the party bestowed a stone with light before letting go.... it was a long drop before it finally stopped moving after bouncing down the ~350ft deep shaft. The small ovals flowed over the lip of the pit and plunged down. The shaft was immense, the walls where they weren't cracked and riven inscribed with terrifying stone reliefs of Kyuss the God, Kyuss the mortal and Kyuss's plans for when he ruled over the worlds with stone cities being enveloped by worms and great fields of spawn standing in adoration of one being... Awe inspiring, terrifying but awe inspiring.

Eventually as the prying eyes leave the long shaft they enter the lower levels of the Temple... The light has strange green quality as they eter the arched chamber through the hole in the room, the base of the stairway having collapsed leaving a 30ft void to jump or climb.

The room itself seems to have been a simple guardsroom. Weapons hang on the walls, strangely barbed and hooked blades that defy common sense and large execitioner's maces with blade and flanged head rest on the walls. The floor however is writhing, a great mass of moving worms as swarms of Kyuss worms writhe and move like a great carpet.

Floating in the air the eyes can just see in the dim shadows of the light a stone double door to the right, the images of sick drinking from a fountain and rising strong and filled with power a curious relief upon the doors.
    To the left there a great vaulted chamber, the lower edges of the wall green and carved with imagery of coiled and intercooled worms and lumps that look like sheet covered bodies on the floor, but without more light it is impossible to see. To the south is the most horrifying sight! A vast crater at the base of what must have been a massive central chamber. The immense cavern filled with a writhing sea of green worms and the nauseating susurrus of millions of bodies slithering all over each other. There is no floor apparent, the paving stones of the hall way each caved with symbol of Kyuss simply breaking and vanishing into the rippling surface of the lake of green worms. The lake lies about 5 foot below the level of the broken off walkway whilst the ceiling rises in ziggurat like steps to a peak some 90ft high - but lost in shadows. Low islands of broken rock pop out of the wormy expanse and bits of hallway protrude out from the walls to left and right and the opposite side of slightly glowing lake. A pair of hunched figures stand guard to the chambers on the opposite side of the lake but the details of them are obscure by the darkness....

Spoiler
    Show

So you arrive in "6"
    "8" is the room that looks filled with bodies
    "11" is the lake of worms
    -- You can't see much more as there is no light source
    Bring it on

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Muttering to himself about inconsiderate hosts that don't provide light, Grillin uses others senses to look about for the obvious foes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Detect Undead
    DrK's Gestalt - Grillin

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa

Glancing around the lower levels, Alyssa frowned at the stench and decay the area held. Peering about, she shivered slightly, wanting to do nothing more than launch a fireball into the lake of worms. For now, however, they needed to cleanse the temple ... or at the very least find out what foul machinations were afoot. And there was still a man to find.

"I suggest we investigate in the direction of the room of bodies. Ware yourselves, friends, least these creatures rise again."

Stepping close to the others, she pointed at their weapons. "I can enchant one of your weapons with a spell that will hurt the walking dead. Who would receive the boon of the Raziel?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting undead bane weapon on someone's weapon ... thinking Nan or Pelgrim, but whoever wants the enchantment. Versus undead, it increases your weapon's enhancement bonus by 2 and adds 2d6 damage.

PS - I think DrK knows we have some light (luminous armor and celestial brilliance), which is why we got info as far as we did ... it's just too dark to see further, I'm guessing.

Show
    HPs: 77/77; AC: 17; F +8 / R +10 / W +13
    Turn undead 6/6; Smite spell 3/3

Active effects
    celestial brilliance (19 days)
    endure elements (1 day)
    greater mage armor (10 hrs)
    heart of earth (10 hrs)
    prying eyes (10 hrs)
    1 quick potion [alter self] (2 hrs)
    Show
    0 (6): detect magic, detect magic, light, light, amanuensis, message
    1 (6+1): protection from evil, protection from evil, shield of faith, shield of faith, divine favor, burning hands
    2 (6+1): resist energy, resist energy, consecrate, lesser restoration, lesser restoration remove paralysis, detect thoughts
    3 (4+1): dispel magic, dispel magic, remove curse, wind wall, searing light
    4 (4+1): restoration, spell immunity, death ward, undead weapon bane, holy smite
    5 (3+1): disrupting weapon, flame strike, wall of magma, true seeing

Show
    0 (4+1): caltrops, silent portal, silent portal, prestidigitation, acid splash
    1 (6+1): lesser orb of fire, lesser orb of fire, true casting, shield, shield, mage armor
    2 (5+1): alter self, scorching ray, scorching ray, seeking ray, seeking ray, web
    3 (4+1): fireball, fireball, greater disrupt undead, greater disrupt undead, stinking cloud
    [/QUOTE]