New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XVI: The Wrath of Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I think it really depends on what part of Europe one is talking about. It's a big place, after all. Mapping a single set of cultural values on it makes about as much sense as mapping a single set of cultural values on all of North America.
    Indeed. The swiss, for example, complained loudly when some of the aforementioned naked hikers wandered across the border. But the level of indifference towards partial nudity in european beaches (mostly populated by germans, british, and the local country population) compared to the shocked reactions of US friends with me tells me that, on average, Winterwind is definitely on the money.

Of course, none of that has much to do with the social values of 18XX Spark-infested Europe when addressing a situation in which a powerful spark in a private train carriage is being interrupted while changing by an old friendly British spy. The British guy being more prudish than the Transylvanian gal is all in accordance with the ancient stereotypes, and by having the half-naked individual being the one not giving a damn, it makes it for a good humour scene, rather than generating feelings of violation.

Or in short: if Agatha had been offended, it couldn't have been used as a punchline.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #632
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's one thing that some people tend to get (half)naked in public. You usually get arrested and fined for it, except if you are on a beach. It's completely different if you enter someone's room while they are getting dressed. That's plain rude, and is usually followed by a "whoops, sorry". This freaking out is very much alien to me. Especially what happened with Roy's resurrection scene in OOTS (come on, did he have any chance of not being naked in that situation?). I can understand Agatha's and Wooster's "Eeeek" in this situation though. Neither of them expected the situation. Imagine yourself in place of Agatha, getting dressed, when suddenly someone enters your room with a gun in hand. Or Wooster, hunting a dangerous villain and finding a naked Agatha instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Of course, none of that has much to do with the social values of 18XX Spark-infested Europe when addressing a situation in which a powerful spark in a private train carriage is being interrupted while changing by an old friendly British spy. The British guy being more prudish than the Transylvanian gal is all in accordance with the ancient stereotypes, and by having the half-naked individual being the one not giving a damn, it makes it for a good humour scene, rather than generating feelings of violation.
    Also that, of course. Also, now that Agatha covered herself with a towel, it's perfectly OK for her to say "Now you can enter, Mister Wooster."
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

3. - Top - End - #633

Anyway, new comic is up. Lampshade is hung.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

4. - Top - End - #634

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Was Martellus' execution of the Jager the first time we've actually seen one die?
    I think so - we've been shown a Jager who perhaps would have died if he hadn't been rescued first over here, and I know we've been told that they aren't actually unkillable (just really hard to kill), but I don't recall seeing any of them die before...

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty sure we can see a Jaeger die while the Baron and his troops fight the wasps aboard his airship.

Meanwhile: who is the new girl and why should we care?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Colossus in the Playground

Indeed. The swiss, for example, complained loudly when some of the aforementioned naked hikers wandered across the border.
    Actually, reactions were very different. There was just another case recently, and one of those free newspapers that are lying around at train stations had a two page-spread photo on the second page of six young men naked except for hiking boots (seen from behind, but there was a lot of naked buttock). That said, it's a newspaper that seems to be actively trying to lower any bar it finds.

Still. I've seen all kinds of reactions. The official reaction from the police and local officials seems to be "it's not illegal, but maybe don't do it on a playground". A lot of people are just vaguely amused by the entire idea of hiking naked in the snow (there's a lot of bad "frostbitten privates" jokes going around). Then you get a vocal minority shouting "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!"

It seems to be a local culture issue as well, funnily. Switzerland maybe tiny, but we are not a unified culture and different cantons seem to make very different amounts of fuss about this.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #637

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Unknown on both counts, but presumably she's somehow important to the plot or she wouldn't be there? (Pretty sure there were people asking the same thing about Zola when she first appeared, and we know how that turned out ).

8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground

I like Agatha's look of pleasure at the idea that Gil might melt England on her behalf. Some girls like candy and flowers, Agatha likes acts of massive destruction. And death rays, can't forget the death rays. :)

Pretty sure we can see a Jaeger die while the Baron and his troops fight the wasps aboard his airship.
    I don't know if Klaus' backhand blow killed the Jager who shouted out "Punch?!?" when Klaus' group ran into Punch and Judy as they were trying to get Agatha off Castle Wulfenbach, but I suspect that was the goal.

She wears a Sturmvoraus pendant, so she has some connection to Tarvek's family. But her hair isn't red, so she's not a blood relative. Wooster didn't shoot her on sight so she's not a known enemy. Her clothing and speech patterns suggest educated and upper class, and she's smart enough and knowledgeable enough to put 2 and 2 together and come up with 'Agatha Heterodyne'. Beyond that, and that somebody she fears is after her, we don't know.

Yet.

I would not be surprised if she advances the plot, and is the means by which Agatha manages to meet the Master of Paris.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Unknown on both counts, but presumably she's somehow important to the plot or she wouldn't be there? (Pretty sure there were people asking the same thing about Zola when she first appeared, and we know how that turned out ).
    You might as well say most of what they did in the Castle had to be important to the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I don't know if Klaus' backhand blow killed the Jager who shouted out "Punch?!?" when Klaus' group ran into Punch and Judy as they were trying to get Agatha off Castle Wulfenbach, but I suspect that was the goal.
    I'm talking about this splash page, where we can see Jaegers overwhelmed by the slaver bugs.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of England
    Thank you, Mister Wooster, for not doing anything that would make Gilgamesh Wulfenbach melt England!
    I think I'm just going to stand here smiling smugly.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

I'm talking about this splash page, where we can see Jaegers overwhelmed by the slaver bugs.
    Especially since one of them has a bug talon through his head.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    For a Jager, just a flesh wound.

Although that seems to be a normal C.W. crewman. The Jager on the right side of the page, though, seems to have a talon through the chest...

That might smart.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Did anyone catch the callback to the first chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha
    Building a steam-powered grab-and-subdue clank out of the stove would be too showy.
    Our little Spark's grown up so fast. *tear*
    Last edited by Landis963; 2014-04-18 at 09:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

14. - Top - End - #644

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post

If you're referring to the guy with the red-and-white striped shirt in the lower left side of the splash page, I'm pretty sure that's just a regular human getting head-stabbed.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

15. - Top - End - #645
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Originally Posted by Queen of England

Thank you, Mister Wooster, for not doing anything that would make Gilgamesh Wulfenbach melt England!
    I think I'm just going to stand here smiling smugly.

I like the look on Agatha's face when she responds to that. I think Zeetha is staring to rub off on her. Also I don't think Wooster knows that The Baron is in Gil's head. I guess Bang will have to tell her.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

16. - Top - End - #646
    Barbarian in the Playground

So the nudity and screaming was all a show. That's twice since this book started that I have totally called it. Smugness? No, no, sirs and/or madams, none of that here.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    So the nudity and screaming was all a show. That's twice since this book started that I have totally called it. Smugness? No, no, sirs and/or madams, none of that here.
    Err... not exactly. It went like this:
    1) Wooster opens the door
    2) Agatha: EEEK!
    3) Wooster EEEK!
    4) Agatha: Oh, it's just you. Shut up and get in here.
    5) Wooster: Argh! No!
    6) Agatha: Some international man of mystery you are. Aren't you ashamed?
    7) Wooster: Ashamed? I'm too terrified of Gil to be ashamed!

Agatha was only screaming because a stranger snuck into her room while she was changing. Once she knew who it was, she was not only okay with it, but took advantage of circumstances to tease him.

Wooster, on the other hand, was only screaming to drown out his mind screaming "Gil isn't going to stop at just killing me!"

None of it was a show, but none of it was shame, either.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-04-18 at 02:44 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Agatha was only screaming because a stranger snuck into her room while she was changing. Once she knew who it was, she was not only okay with it, but took advantage of circumstances to tease him.

Wooster, on the other hand, was only screaming to drown out his mind screaming "Gil isn't going to stop at just killing me!"

None of it was a show, but none of it was shame, either.
    As I understood it, she did it deliberatly to startle any possible intruder - she even said so in today's comics.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #649

Yeah, I think today's page makes it pretty explicit that it was all a plan to stop people from coming in and finding the lady she's hiding.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ah, as in a plan on her side, not a joint plan between them. Okay, I see what you mean. Sorry, my bad. I thought you meant the whole thing was staged, not just her part in it.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-04-18 at 03:03 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So this is Head-In-A-Jar Guy's (ex)wife? Not what I was expecting.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2014-04-20 at 11:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I should have. But I didn't think to check The Works (the card game released prior to the comic's introduction) to see if they matched at all. Not that it would have mattered, necessarily, as she's under gone something of an Art Shift since way back then.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

23. - Top - End - #653

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I should have. But I didn't think to check The Works (the card game released prior to the comic's introduction) to see if they matched at all. Not that it would have mattered, necessarily, as she's under gone something of an Art Shift since way back then.
    Selnikov! That's the guy that I thought was occupying Klaus in Mechanicsburg while he lurked around in Gil, maybe to earn a new body. Still, the consensus seems to be that Klaus is bi-located in both his old body and inside Gil.

Did Selnikov ever exhibit a fondness for tea?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Selnikov! That's the guy that I thought was occupying Klaus in Mechanicsburg while he lurked around in Gil, maybe to earn a new body. Still, the consensus seems to be that Klaus is bi-located in both his old body and inside Gil.

Did Selnikov ever exhibit a fondness for tea?
    He seems to be a wine/spirits kinda guy. And while he mentioned his wife, he never mentioned any fondness for tea in his ranting about his new... condition in that strip, or the ones immediately prior.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

25. - Top - End - #655
    Troll in the Playground

I must agree, she looks much too good for him. And younger than I'd have expected. The old lech.

I wonder why Martellus is after her. Is it due to her husband - who may still be alive, and maybe even out of his jar by now - or has she been being naughty on her own?

If Agatha is going to do the dishevelment act for visitors with Wooster in the room, that changes the implications of what's going on. I hope the monks are broadminded.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

And whom did Wooster think he was ambushing?

27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I must agree, she looks much too good for him. And younger than I'd have expected. The old lech.
    Actually, he seems VERY happy to be rid of her.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

28. - Top - End - #658
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Actually, he seems VERY happy to be rid of her.
    Which is why I was confused. Maybe she's a much more unpleasant person when her life isn't in danger?

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

Which is why I was confused. Maybe she's a much more unpleasant person when her life isn't in danger?
    Possibilities:
    1. As an old lecher, a divorce just frees him up to marry the next pretty young lady that he has already had an eye on
    2. As a matrimony of convenience, they do not get along, and he thinks her a shrew because she dares to not obey his every wish
    3. As any matrimony, they have grown cold to each other for various reasons, and he has been looking for a way to end it for some time now.
    4. As a sturmvoraus (sp?), he suspects her to be a spy

I'm thinking 1 right now, but it could be any of them, really. Or others I have yet to think of.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-04-21 at 10:48 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #660

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Applies to women as well. Im not saying thats the case here, but some high ranking noblewoman might act differently while ruling her little social circle and henpecking her rich husband than she would as a desperate runaway trying to survive.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."