New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Girl Genius XVI: The Wrath of Klaus

Zeetha's face is almost tolerable in this one.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay....when you adapt from one media to another certain things need to change. In a radio drama you need to say everything that is going on because otherwise people won't know. Comics, however, are a visual medium. They operate on a show don't tell policy.

I see no reason what so ever for the "He's hitting me with a hammer" line to stay in this and it actually looses its humor for me.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2014-01-27 at 02:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Hammer Time!
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

strangely this interlude makes as much sense to me as the original storyline.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iponly View Post
    You know, I read all of spacetrawler, and it was great. Then he decided to change his art style for the new comic he started after spacetrawler, and I can't stand it.
    I really hate it as well.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Okay....when you adapt from one media to another certain things need to change. In a radio drama you need to say everything that is going on because otherwise people won't know. Comics, however, are a visual medium. They operate on a show don't tell policy.

I see no reason what so ever for the "He's hitting me with a hammer" line to stay in this and it actually looses its humor for me.
    It would work if it were more exaggerated. "He's hitting me with a hammer! Ow Ow Ow! Hitting me! With a hammer! OW OW OW! HAMMER! HITTING! OW OW OW OW OW! HE'S LEAVING DENTS! SOMEBODY STOP HIM!!!"

Of course that would lead to a wall of text type speech balloon...

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

I'm hearing a speeded up version of Verdi's "Anvil Chorus / Gypsy Chorus" right now.

Not the "Anvil Head Chorus": I've got no idea how that goes...

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

To the Hammer Space page!

Edit: link added just in case someone didn't know
    Last edited by BannedInSchool; 2014-01-29 at 09:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I'm hearing a speeded up version of Verdi's "Anvil Chorus / Gypsy Chorus" right now.

Not the "Anvil Head Chorus": I've got no idea how that goes...
    Odd, im hearing a variation of the 1812 overture and its cannon sequence. Just imagine every smack with a hammer is a cannon blast.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, Phil, Kaja, and the Experiments are apparently experiencing quite the storm on their semi-evacuated tropical vacation island: http://girlgeniusadventures.com

11. - Top - End - #191

On the plus side, they seem to be rather enjoying it. I admit, a good storm can be a lot of fun to play in with the right mind set.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I admit, a good storm can be a lot of fun to play in with the right mind set.
    Yeah, playing outside during a Category 1 or 2 hurricane is rather interesting.

I draw the line at 3, personally.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

So little time left... Will we miss a day?

Yeah, playing outside during a Category 1 or 2 hurricane is rather interesting.

I draw the line at 3, personally.
    When Katrina went through Louisiana, we played outside through the whole thing. Though where I live, it was equivalent to about category 3-4.
    CAELUM NON ANIMUM MUTAT QUI TRANS MARE CURRIT

14. - Top - End - #194

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    So little time left... Will we miss a day?
    What timezone are we talking? Because it's 7:45am in the UK and still no Friday strip...

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

*pours a 40 for the death of one of the longest update streaks that I am aware of in drawn webcomic history*

April 18th, 2005 - January 29th, 2014

That's a pretty damn impressive streak that survived multiple health scares. Took a guest cartoonist to break it, it seems.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-02-01 at 03:35 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    *pours a 40 for the death of one of the longest update streaks that I am aware of in drawn webcomic history*

That's a pretty damn impressive streak that survived multiple health scares. Took a guest cartoonist to break it, it seems.
    Does a guest cartoonist even count?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Does a guest cartoonist even count?
    If it didn't then the streak would have been broken when they went on vacation.

Still, I see your point. I imagine the arguments are already starting where they keep track of/care about such things.

Perhaps an asterisk will be applied when the Foglios start back up.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-02-01 at 03:49 AM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

18. - Top - End - #198

While they never missed an update, I remember it sometimes being a day late.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    While they never missed an update, I remember it sometimes being a day late.
    From what I recall they always hit with something by 11:59 pm Eastern Time M/W/F (even if it was a B/W pencil that was later colored in). I've missed a couple of days of checking here and there over the last few months or so. But I'm fairly sure the update still always hit by that time. Mostly because someone would have said something in this thread.

Might have come real close a couple of times (like minutes away), but as far as I am aware, this is the first actual for goodness slip.

NOTE: Can't always trust the days given on the archive pages, as I've noticed they can be a bit wonky at times, for whatever reason.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

It's a very good update streak, but they have nothing on Howard Tayler - the author of Schlock Mercenary. He updates daily, started on June 12th 2000 and never missed a day. It took a fire in the server building to even delay his updates (as far as I remember). I have yet to see someone as orginised and inhumanly dependable.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

21. - Top - End - #201

From what I recall they always hit with something by 11:59 pm Eastern Time M/W/F (even if it was a B/W pencil that was later colored in). I've missed a couple of days of checking here and there over the last few months or so. But I'm fairly sure the update still always hit by that time. Mostly because someone would have said something in this thread.

Might have come real close a couple of times (like minutes away), but as far as I am aware, this is the first actual for goodness slip.

NOTE: Can't always trust the days given on the archive pages, as I've noticed they can be a bit wonky at times, for whatever reason.
    So the latest they delay is by midnight. In Europe, that makes it somewhere before dawn, the time when I would never read the update before next morning. That makes sense. I usually see the update on the afternoon, but sometimes in the evening or next morning.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    It's a very good update streak, but they have nothing on Howard Tayler - the author of Schlock Mercenary. He updates daily, started on June 12th 2000 and never missed a day. It took a fire in the server building to even delay his updates (as far as I remember). I have yet to see someone as orginised and inhumanly dependable.
    I knew someone was going to bring up Schlock. which is why I said one of. The other ones that comes to mind are things like Skin Horse/Narbonic and Irregular Webcomic/Darths and Droids.

However, as massively impressive as Tayler's accomplishment is (and it is massively massively massively so), in my mind it's still not quite the same as knocking out a full page comic three days a week. How the hell the Foglios/Wright managed it for almost nine years, I haven't a clue. I think people underestimate how difficult that is.

Still, I have been expecting this for a while now. For the longest time, they had it up at precisely midnight MWF, nearly without fail. The longest they were ever delayed was for around 45 minutes or an hour (due to the aforementioned health emergencies).

However, in the last year, year-and-a-half or so, their Real Life schedule looks to have finally caught up with them. Instead of updating precisely at midnight, it would usually come up within a couple of hours of midnight. Often times though, it would update sometime during the actual day. And, as I said earlier, sometimes they made it by the skin of their teeth. In that time, I haven't once seen it up early (the now outdated Sneaky Gate).

Today is the first day that I am actually aware of that it has entirely slipped the update window. Maybe it was the guest cartoonist. Maybe it was Cheyenne not finishing the colors in time. Maybe it's the uploader. Don't know. But I do think it is worthy to note it's passing. If only to salute the accomplishment of knocking out a full page comic without fail for nearly nine years.

Technical Note: Yes, I am aware that they put up a repeat once (twice?) at Christmas. Meh. I am also aware that some might not count the paper doll strips as 'updates'. Double Meh.

So, as I said, I pour a forty out in acknowledgement of a damn fine accomplishment. No more, no less.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-02-01 at 05:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

And for some of us who just got here, we're asking, "What do you mean no Friday update? It's right there!".

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

I am pleased to see Zeetha is physically much superior to Othar. At least in this odd universe where Agatha can apparently unhinge her jaw...

25. - Top - End - #205

I like Agatha's expression on the last panel.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

No surprise at all that Zeetha can take Othar. Her skills are up near Gil's and Gil can take down Othar without a huge problem. And the last panel is great.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can't tell if Othar is a complete moron or just really, really thick skulled. Either way, it is impressive that he can still think when the coup de sludge was about to be given.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Very, VERY VERY thick skull.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think Zeetha's hammers were meant to be smaller. Both Othar's incredulousness and Agatha's comment about the "proud race of carpenters" lead one to think the hammers were supposed to be tool-sized, not weapon-sized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Considering that tht duel with hammers, they are certainly meant for hitting other people and not nails.