Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1457
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Also Anarion, I need to know how right I am when I'm saying that Exalted is what you want.
    Pretty goddamn spot on the money. I've had visions dancing around my head all day about the dragon-blooded troupe that would be in the midst of commanding a major military campaign only to receive a recall from troubles at home at their moment of triumph. As the opening scene.

    Edit: I need to get their book though. I only have Exalted and Sidereals, and those aren't actually within 2500 miles of my current physical location. Or pick a different system entirely to run it.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2014-04-04 at 12:28 AM.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  2. - Top - End - #992
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Pretty goddamn spot on the money. I've had visions dancing around my head all day about the dragon-blooded troupe that would be in the midst of commanding a major military campaign only to receive a recall from troubles at home at their moment of triumph. As the opening scene.
    WE ARE AS ONE THOUGHT. PRAISE HOJO.

    Edit: I need to get their book though. I only have Exalted and Sidereals, and those aren't actually within 2500 miles of my current physical location. Or pick a different system entirely to run it.
    In 2008, when I was taking my world trip, I found myself in a little Japanese hotel with a week to kill and only a copy of Manual of Exalted Power: Dragon Blooded and nothing to do. Any time I did not spend walking the city was spent reading and re-reading that book. It is, as a result, permanently engraved into my brain.

    I would also like to add that I have played a LOT of Exalted. Like seriously, a LOT. 2007-2012 roughly was non stop Exalted games and nothing else, some twice a week, plus the most prolific PBP I've ever been a part of. After that I burned out on it for a while, having played literally every character and campaign that my brain could think of. The one thing I didn't play was DBs, which was a travesty since they are best pony and I've discovered that only recently.

    I can talk a lot about Exalted; what matters and what's irrelevant, group dynamics, themes, what stuff looks like in play verses what you think might happen. I've also seen it played with half a dozen different systems and hacks. When my shift is over I'll send you a PM outlining a bunch of systems and variations and their pros and cons, as well as fun variations on the setting and ways to keep the old established facts of the universe fresh.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-04-04 at 12:36 AM.
    And come away, come away, the waters, the wild, sings the Hob,
    forgetting somewhat the words, and forgetting outright the tune.

  3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    In 2008, when I was taking my world trip, I found myself in a little Japanese hotel with a week to kill and only a copy of Manual of Exalted Power: Dragon Blooded and nothing to do. Any time I did not spend walking the city was spent reading and re-reading that book. It is, as a result, permanently engraved into my brain.

    I would also like to add that I have played a LOT of Exalted. Like seriously, a LOT. 2007-2012 roughly was non stop Exalted games and nothing else, some twice a week, plus the most prolific PBP I've ever been a part of. After that I burned out on it for a while, having played literally every character and campaign that my brain could think of. The one thing I didn't play was DBs, which was a travesty since they are best pony and I've discovered that only recently.

    I can talk a lot about Exalted; what matters and what's irrelevant, group dynamics, themes, what stuff looks like in play verses what you think might happen. I've also seen it played with half a dozen different systems and hacks. When my shift is over I'll send you a PM outlining a bunch of systems and variations and their pros and cons, as well as fun variations on the setting and ways to keep the old established facts of the universe fresh.
    I never found the Exalted 2nd edition rules that incomprehensible, personally, so I might end up leaning towards using the system, especially if it's actually pretty good with dragon-blooded. I did have one bad experience with it, where I had a few friends try it, but they weren't willing to put in the time to really learn the setting, and I just couldn't keep their attention in a session that was simultaneously character gen, world intro, and some attempt to get them to RP with each other.

    Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Anarion; 2014-04-04 at 12:54 AM.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  4. - Top - End - #994
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Looking ahead a bit, might I suggest a song for the radio tonight?
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2014-04-04 at 02:50 AM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!


    Avatar by Aruius

  5. - Top - End - #995
    Banned
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    I would like to say that the format if moving GoM talk here concerns me. I worry that having too many conversations weaving into each other will reduce the faculties available for each conversation. Also, that wading through off topic posts for relevant ones will be tedious and wear everypony down.

    Spoiler: Gathering of Mists
    Show
    Anarion, I think you're making a lot of mistakes here from some base assumptions. The conversation is reading a lot less like a dialogue and more like I'm being given a prescription; and I don't have to take it but you won't be responsible for continued sickness if I don't. That's very stark and antagonistic and my default response is combative.


    Charlotte IS focused. Charlotte is focused on creating scenes and set pieces. On empathic manipulation. On being at home in the hedge.

    You chastised her for trying to craft, cut her off for trying to do pledgecraft, don't allow the mechanics to be used for empathic manipulation because you put all rolls on a clock and limit the number of rolls per scene, and insist that she is a dangerously addled womanchild in the hedge rather than letting her assert proficiency going so far as to force a roll that could possibly undo someone else's success based on that bias.

    Rather than focus on what Charlotte should do, we should focus on letting Charlotte actually do what she is already very effectively built for.

    I think the easiest way to do this is to not view any discussion of Charlotte as a distraction from the game you have to resolve before getting back to the real stuff. The only person at the table who interacts with Charlotte directly instead of talking to me OOC about her is, unsurprisingly, the person who doesn't have a problem with Charlotte's actions and methods to nearly the same degree.

  6. - Top - End - #996
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I would like to say that the format if moving GoM talk here concerns me. I worry that having too many conversations weaving into each other will reduce the faculties available for each conversation. Also, that wading through off topic posts for relevant ones will be tedious and wear everypony down.
    Actually, yeah, I agree. If this is a talk about future games and cool stuff then here is good, if this is going to be another argument then take it outside.
    And come away, come away, the waters, the wild, sings the Hob,
    forgetting somewhat the words, and forgetting outright the tune.

  7. - Top - End - #997
    Banned
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Certainly. I still feel This is about broader trends and patterns, else I would just try to catch Anarion on Skype.

  8. - Top - End - #998
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Certainly. I still feel This is about broader trends and patterns, else I would just try to catch Anarion on Skype.
    I don't care where you do it but this thread is a place for happy thoughts. HAPPY THOUGHTS.
    And come away, come away, the waters, the wild, sings the Hob,
    forgetting somewhat the words, and forgetting outright the tune.

  9. - Top - End - #999
    Banned
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    I would like to point out that responding to an explanation of a choice for the Stories houserule with "you suck too much for this to be relevant" isn't really a good opening volley for Happy Thoughts. :f

    E: that's far more passive aggressive than I meant it to be. More succinctly, I am fine with 'don't argue', but I will protest quietly if it becomes 'don't disagree'.


    I also nominate Raz_Fox and his changeling game out of college with Thanqol the actual satan as the next game theme. If done right it should be the change of pace everyone needs.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2014-04-04 at 05:51 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Certainly. I still feel This is about broader trends and patterns, else I would just try to catch Anarion on Skype.
    Catch me on Skype anyway please. If we glean something of broad relevance, either of us can post a transcript to the thread for the reference of everyone else. And please just chat me at any random time. I'll either be online and invisible or I'll reply asynchronously.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I assume you mean the first aspiration? I was thinking of getting him some kind of gift, something that might get some reaction from him, dunno what. Or maybe I need to take him someplace. Dunno, still thinking, I guess



    Maybe. Way I see it they are distinct. The obsession is to learn about him, figuring him out. The aspiration is to surprise him, mess with his plans, and take control of it, regardless of what those plans are. Following the aspiration may lead to answering the obsession, but the reverse is not necessarily true. Answering the question of what the guy is doing and why probably won't change Amun's plan to mess with him and take control of it.

    I tried to have aspirations that tie into the obsessions, too, being sort of steps towards following the obsessions. The hope is that the first aspiration will tell Amun something about Mirror Man. Maybe it won't, but that's the plan. The third aspiration may be long term, it may not be relevant until Amun's actually figured the guy out anyway. Or maybe it will.

    Not sure, I guess.

    Personally, I would avoid directly doubling up like that. I've been thinking, and increasingly I believe that Obsessions should be focused not just on the arcane, but on arcane mysteries. Aspirations are more directly things you want to do, in or out of character, as well as things you would like to see happen. Etc. Increasingly, I suspect it is worth while keeping aspirations as short as possible without them being cheeky.

    Worth remembering, I believe Obsessions give you beats as you work towards them.

  12. - Top - End - #1002
    Banned
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Catch me on Skype anyway please. If we glean something of broad relevance, either of us can post a transcript to the thread for the reference of everyone else. And please just chat me at any random time. I'll either be online and invisible or I'll reply asynchronously.
    Wilco. I'll lead with a redo of that last post. I think there's a frission of misinformation there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Personally, I would avoid directly doubling up like that. I've been thinking, and increasingly I believe that Obsessions should be focused not just on the arcane, but on arcane mysteries. Aspirations are more directly things you want to do, in or out of character, as well as things you would like to see happen. Etc. Increasingly, I suspect it is worth while keeping aspirations as short as possible without them being cheeky.

    Worth remembering, I believe Obsessions give you beats as you work towards them.
    Yes. Aspirations should be your next goal. Literally; "investigate the haunted house", "fail to channel a ghost", and "have an argument with team mates about it" are all good (and sequential) aspirations.

    Obsessions (and possibly stories, it's unclear) are more like concepts, or categories, that provide XP every time they are triggered.

  13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Was thinking about what thing of significance we might get out of this. Dunno about the dog tags to be honest, it was only what came first to mind. Then all this talk of the phoenix and ashes made me realize that some of the ashes of the dogs could be a better idea. It's got a connection not only to the dogs, but maybe to the city itself as well. Hmm ... could probably ask him if he'd let us have the ashes to bury, to make Tessen feel a little better. Or I could ask for a dog tag and use that as distraction while we scoop up some ashes.

    Thoughts?

  14. - Top - End - #1004
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Was thinking about what thing of significance we might get out of this. Dunno about the dog tags to be honest, it was only what came first to mind. Then all this talk of the phoenix and ashes made me realize that some of the ashes of the dogs could be a better idea. It's got a connection not only to the dogs, but maybe to the city itself as well. Hmm ... could probably ask him if he'd let us have the ashes to bury, to make Tessen feel a little better. Or I could ask for a dog tag and use that as distraction while we scoop up some ashes.

    Thoughts?
    The Ashes have great resonance, but there is a real finality to them. They unambiguously represent The End Of The Road. The tags have closer connection to A Past That Failed.
    And come away, come away, the waters, the wild, sings the Hob,
    forgetting somewhat the words, and forgetting outright the tune.

  15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The Ashes have great resonance, but there is a real finality to them. They unambiguously represent The End Of The Road. The tags have closer connection to A Past That Failed.
    A Past That Failed is definitely more Amun's style than any kind of finality.

  16. - Top - End - #1006
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    A Past That Failed is definitely more Amun's style than any kind of finality.
    So, just a little bit on What This Means:

    You're standing in a hub of sympathy, a place with huge symbolic value for Detroit and various themes entwined within it. Since Awakened magic is all about various forms of symbolism this is a powerful place. Any ritual you perform using materials from this place or within this place will have ripple effects out across the city so long as it ties properly into the symbolism. Throwing your own birth certificate into the furnace here, for example, will more effectively conceal your identity (but at the same time make the process much more permanent).

    Aside from the magic amplifying effects, if you get access to some city planning departments, demolition companies, or are prepared to burn down some vacants/put down a load of street art, you can add this place to a ley line that can connect it to the Hallow on your tower (Prime can brute-force this for the short term). This is like networking those two arcane hubs, they'll flow into and change each other, becoming more powerful and more entangled. The consequences of this are Unclear But Big.

    Those are just two off-the-cuff ideas for how to utilize the symbolism of this place, they are by no means the only things you can do here.
    And come away, come away, the waters, the wild, sings the Hob,
    forgetting somewhat the words, and forgetting outright the tune.

  17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Given the effects of the Death resonance at the demense, i cant help but feel that linking a powerful sympathy with death and finality to our home hallow is probably a bad idea. At least, I struggle to see any obvious, likely and positive consequences.

    However, I figure that the deserted, ruined blocks across Detroit must have some pretty unhealthy, cancerous resonance, right? Could we use this to cauterize those places with the right bit of ley-line tinkering?

  18. - Top - End - #1008
    Banned
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Given the effects of the Death resonance at the demense, i cant help but feel that linking a powerful sympathy with death and finality to our home hallow is probably a bad idea. At least, I struggle to see any obvious, likely and positive consequences.

    However, I figure that the deserted, ruined blocks across Detroit must have some pretty unhealthy, cancerous resonance, right? Could we use this to cauterize those places with the right bit of ley-line tinkering?
    Death and the Phoenix? The hallow of promise, renewal, purpose and perfection of form, along with death and finality?

    Eternal becoming, rising from the ashes as one glorious perfect form? Maybe that's how you revive Atlantis? Turns out Atlantis is Detroit and the rumors of its splendour were Greatly Exagerated.

  19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Death and the Phoenix? The hallow of promise, renewal, purpose and perfection of form, along with death and finality?

    Eternal becoming, rising from the ashes as one glorious perfect form? Maybe that's how you revive Atlantis? Turns out Atlantis is Detroit and the rumors of its splendour were Greatly Exagerated.
    Pheonix is about life triumphant over death. Change trumping finality. The beginning replacing the end.
    If I'm following the arcane sympathies here, there's a much better chance that it'd just pump up it's resonance with the Sword of Damocles, even if it doesn't simply make our tower a Final Destination death trap like the Demesne.

    Plus, Free Council, yo. Keep yo sunken-city mumbo jumbo to yo-self, fool.

    EDIT - There's also that little thing that I don't really talk about where I'm not entirely sure that the whole Phoenix thing isn't one big Scelesti trick that we stumbled right into. So there's that, too. >_>
    EDIT 2 - I'm not saying I'm paranoid. But neither am I ruling out the idea that the abyss-wracked pheonix-clad, swaggering self proclaimed Queen of Detroit might secretly be time travelling Errant, post disastrous mega-ritual that we are currently helping her prepare for. True story.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2014-04-05 at 05:52 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #1010
    Banned
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Something Flo, Areta and I all have in common is the belief that the best part about Atlantis is that it died.

  21. - Top - End - #1011
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Stepping away from Tessen's neurotics for a moment, she did a big magic ritual that succeeded and its result was to point us straight to this place. So one thing that we could pull out of this whole thing is a better understanding of what the city needs. A magic ritual held in the building could potentially be used as a divination: say to ask questions about the future of the whole city, or, alternately to get insight into its past which has been difficult for us to learn about.

    We also should be boxing up all the different symbolic pieces we can here, from spare guns to ashes, to loose furniture because if/when we ultimately make a call to do something to the city, we've just been told that this place provides one of the best spots to do it.

    Edit: for obvious reasons from the scene evolution, Tessen isn't likely to be taking the lead on any such actions unless they come up in the conversation with Turing. Otherwise someone else will need to initiate that. I nominate Amun since city patterns and leylines were one of his things.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2014-04-05 at 06:52 PM.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lix Lorn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missing her mistress
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Death and the Phoenix? The hallow of promise, renewal, purpose and perfection of form, along with death and finality?

    Eternal becoming, rising from the ashes as one glorious perfect form? Maybe that's how you revive Atlantis? Turns out Atlantis is Detroit and the rumors of its splendour were Greatly Exagerated.
    Impression I get is that EVERYWHERE is Atlantis :P
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

  23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    I think I second that nomination, Anarion. In as much as I don't think Jack really cares enough for that approach. Grand rituals increasingly feel like they just aren't his thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Impression I get is that EVERYWHERE is Atlantis :P
    Everywhere could be Atlantis. Except nowhere is. Its almost like its Just another...big...Lie, designed to keep the pentacle pre-occupied, keep them from truly looking at the world around them...

  24. - Top - End - #1014
    Banned
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    I don't like phrasing it that way, because it says that Atlantis is a lie... But it would be totes cool and definitely the best thing if it were true. I like to believe that Atlantis doesn't matter anymore; no matter how great a heyday it was, nothing truly good will come from aping the past rather than forging a new and better future. But buying into the "lets all be Atlantis again" idea is folly, aye.

    It's like, sure, Rome fell, and that sucked, but I would rather move on to having modern America et al than sit there squabbling over how to get Rome back.

  25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    I don't know. There's just something about the dynamic, you know? The entire world is a lie, pulled over our eyes by the Exarchs. It is designed from the ground up to keep us down and box us in, to keep us from doing anything about the situation. Only, we mages are special, we know the truth and we know about Atlantis and if we can just find it, we can be exarchs too!escape the lie of the fallen world!

    It just feels like, if I was designing a world-prison to pull over the eyes of my enemies to stop them escaping and stealing my god-throne, the first thing I'd do is put something in there to cause an endless snipe-hunt. And I'd do that to mages by appealing to their sense of being more important and better than not-mages. What better target for them to chase than a myth of them having lost a utopian dream-city that they used to rule like god-kings?

    The shoe fits, basically.

  26. - Top - End - #1016
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    And come away, come away, the waters, the wild, sings the Hob,
    forgetting somewhat the words, and forgetting outright the tune.

  27. - Top - End - #1017
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    I also vote for Amun for ritual wrangling, and speaking from Turing's headspace, Tiki's cauterization idea sounds pretty solid. Assuming we can manage the ley-line wrangling, that is.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!


    Avatar by Aruius

  28. - Top - End - #1018
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Amun will certainly try to get his hands on a dog tag and some ashes, at least. He will probably leave it to Tessen to decide which of them she ends up using for the crown, since it's kinda her project and all, but it doesn't hurt to have extras for other things we may decide to do. Never know what might occur to us later on.

    I'm not sure what else we may wish to grab while we're here. A used needle? Probably lots of small things we could potentially grab. I'm also not sure what exactly we might do with the sympathy of the place at present. No current rituals come to mind.

    Death was pretty big in ancient Egyptian rituals and lore. Amun's project of building himself a pyramid and making himself a pharaoh traditionally did involve the whole mummification and death process (Amun the Mummy is a weird thought.) Amun's not a Death mage (maybe there's an alternate Amun out there in the multiverse who is), so he's not normally thinking much along those lines, and I'm not sure what he could do with any Death related plans. Not without Turing at least.

    Still, perhaps linking our hallow to a place of death could result in some pyramidic themes or ... something. Make it a tomb. My mind is honestly not sure where it's going with this thought.

    Any time anything Death comes up, I kinda default on thinking it's probably more Turing's thing/concern. But then, it is kinda present somewhere in Amun's themes as well, even if it's not something he normally deals with. Or something *I* normally think of, for that matter. Maybe I should?

    Mage is tough, man. So full of questions.

    *

    Oh yeah, that does make me wonder, what kind of resonance/symbolism does our Hallow have?

    *

    Cauterize, eh? So, like ... linking it up with the vampire place? Except they're already dead, but I guess they could be deader ... more finally dead. Uh ...

  29. - Top - End - #1019
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Oh yeah, that does make me wonder, what kind of resonance/symbolism does our Hallow have?
    Your sanctum, you tell me.

    Cauterize, eh? So, like ... linking it up with the vampire place? Except they're already dead, but I guess they could be deader ... more finally dead. Uh ...
    Could work. It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.
    And come away, come away, the waters, the wild, sings the Hob,
    forgetting somewhat the words, and forgetting outright the tune.

  30. - Top - End - #1020
    Banned
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard OOC VI: The Secret WoD Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I don't know. There's just something about the dynamic, you know? The entire world is a lie, pulled over our eyes by the Exarchs. It is designed from the ground up to keep us down and box us in, to keep us from doing anything about the situation. Only, we mages are special, we know the truth and we know about Atlantis and if we can just find it, we can be exarchs too!escape the lie of the fallen world!

    It just feels like, if I was designing a world-prison to pull over the eyes of my enemies to stop them escaping and stealing my god-throne, the first thing I'd do is put something in there to cause an endless snipe-hunt. And I'd do that to mages by appealing to their sense of being more important and better than not-mages. What better target for them to chase than a myth of them having lost a utopian dream-city that they used to rule like god-kings?

    The shoe fits, basically.
    Oh yeah, that does fit. But that's not the only way to look at it. And even if it is a snipe hunt, it's got enough truth to believable and valuable if you can learn that truth and move on.

    I'm confused though, and I think on reflection it's based on orders. What's this "escape to the Supernal" stuff? I know the silver ladder wants to escape to the Supernal and do battle, and lead humanity with them. But doesn't the free council want to elevate the fallen world? Make everything Supernal? Even if only by acknowledging it's already magical and doesn't need to compete with the five watchtowers? I very much agree with you that the prime material as a confluence isn't exactly ruined by being "fallen", and in fact wouldn't work any other way. A place where all five worlds had equal and total influence over realty is a terrifying prospect, not paradise!


    Nameless Snow Owl* would disagree, saying that time is kinda meaningless so any perfect society would be remember as the perfect society because it becomes itself. Thanqol's iterative Los Angeles nonsense makes perfect sense to her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Your sanctum, you tell me.
    I thought they decided, back when there were the pigeoniest of pigeons?

    Could work. It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.
    Reminds me of the description from an AP, where a young wizard was sent to investigate a ley line disturbance, where on on side was a stepford community and on the other, broken homes up for sale, abandoned. The house directly on the moving ley line had a happily married couple at each other's throats as the resonance tore their relationship apart.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •