New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: "Let's get this straight. YOU'RE the sidekick!" A Mutants & Masterminds Camp. Jou

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    I'm gonna get some copies of the 2e books to run for my brother and his girlfriend next time they come to visit me. This thread has inspired me.
    Always glad to be an inspiration. I'm so rarely considered a good role model.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafu View Post
    I'll see what i can do about finding a day when we can play again. We may just honestly have to do it online if something doesn't pan out. If we had to we could use Xbox live for voice chat or something if a group Skype session wouldn't be possible
    Yeah, we'll work something out. I'll try and catch you online later and schedule something.

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    Have you heard of a site called Roll20? It's specifically made for playing tabletops on the web, has voice chat, dice rollers and other handy features.
    Oh yeah, I use it all the time to run games and we use Roll20 even in our face to face sessions for maps and rolling and such. We've just not had much luck with keeping things together unless we're face to face. Although since we're actually invested in this campaign, that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

2. - Top - End - #182

Default Re: "Let's get this straight. YOU'RE the sidekick!" A Mutants & Masterminds Camp. Jou

Alright, I added some notes into the initial post that lead to the campaign related posts and a quick summary of the various characters. I think I've got them all, but I might be wrong.

My Campaign Journals

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome. Awesome to the max. Now we just need character pictures for the supporting cast.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

4. - Top - End - #184

I'll try and get them all together and posted soon.

My Campaign Journals

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome. I know how rounding up your players for even an ongoing game can be like herding cats. Typically Pizza is used as bait but I find I get the best results with tequila and chocolate.

6. - Top - End - #186

Awesome. I know how rounding up your players for even an ongoing game can be like herding cats. Typically Pizza is used as bait but I find I get the best results with tequila and chocolate.
    I've used home cooking as a lure in the past (the session with Stardust came about because she heard I was making chili) but our biggest problem now is conflicting schedules. McCrow's player has college during the morning and work at night and Fanboy's player usually works until 11-12 at night 7 days a week so it's hard to find a time that they both feel like meeting up and playing until 4am.

The long wait is definitely giving me time to scheme and plot, though whether that's good or bad is debatable. I'm a little worried that my ideas are turning crazy.

My Campaign Journals

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kidjake View Post
    The long wait is definitely giving me time to scheme and plot, though whether that's good or bad is debatable. I'm a little worried that my ideas are turning crazy.
    Good, give it enough time and your ideas might just get as crazy as theirs.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Yeah, we're all a little scattered right now. Schedules have been making things a little difficult

9. - Top - End - #189

Finally got together for a new session Saturday, although it took me a bit to get it written up because of a hectic few days. It's a bit shorter than most of our sessions, but I think we made some interesting progress all the same. With a little luck we'll have another one soon, or at least another parallel campaign (like Mann started off as) with whoever I can get together.

Spoiler: Death
    Show
    Michael wakes up in a strange, otherworldly place. A twisted world of strange colors and flickering shapes, he finds himself drifting; unable to control his motion. He sighs as he drifts. "Great, I'm dead and in hell." he mutters, floating towards his inescapable destiny. He suddenly notices a diner that he and Mann had frequented several times in the past few weeks for lunch and realizes that he's still in Ventnor City. "Oh that's just great. I'm dead and trapped in New Jersey. When do I get to hell?" he mutters bitterly.

Glancing around, Michael realizes that the concept of space is nearly meaningless in his new existence. If he doesn't focus on his surroundings he can see miles in every direction at once; the experience is disorienting. While the streets are mostly empty, he does see several individuals in his immediate vicinity.

A ghostly figure in a security guard uniform, a hulking biker with a caved in skull and a skinless mastiff the size of a pony are among the others he sees drifting westward with him. In the distance to the west Michael sees a pillar of eerie green light which seems to be the focal point of their journey. Letting his gaze drift free he sees dozens of others drifting with him but much further along, many of them he recognizes from his days as a guinea pig. The unfortunate souls who were put down when they sought freedom.

Even further to the west, in the pillar of light itself, is a massive vaguely humanoid creature nearly 12ft tall with a skeletal frame, overly lanky limbs and tight, leathery skin similar to a mummy's. Michael focuses his attention on the creature as one of the drifting souls drifts too close; the creature's jaw distends obscenely and it engulfs a young black man with sharp fins on his arms and back. The creature seems slightly less skeletal, but all the more inhuman as its victim is absorbed.

Michael is a little nervous at this point and the creature looks up, glancing around the damned spectres floating ever closer. A hollow voice whispers "You will all return to me that which is mine." and then Michael sits up.

His face slams into the metallic ceiling overhead and he glances around, he's in complete darkness; naked and laying on a cold metal surface. It's not the first time he's woke up in a morgue so he wastes no time in kicking his drawer open and slipping out, finding himself in a room adjacent to the general testing chambers.

Michael searches the room, hoping to find the clothes he was brought in with; but gives up when he realizes that they were probably too damaged to be worth saving. He decides to just brave the outside corridor in the buff until he can find his quarters and bolts out the door, slamming directly into a surprised Mann in the hall.

Mann stares at Michael for a moment, glancing at a clipboard in hand and then back again. "You're lucky, we didn't think you were going to come back this time. It's already been two days. They sent me down to see to your...disposal."

"My 'disposal'?" Michael asks bitterly, "The hell were you going to do, toss me in the furnace?"

"You were dead, what would you care?" Mann asks pragmatically.

"Well I got better." Michael growls "So why don't you make yourself useful and help me find some pants?"

Spoiler: Public Relations
    Show
    Two days prior...

"Son of a bitch." Fanboy says groggily as he comes to in the car. Lucky Dan and the unconscious form of Richard Bronson are on opposite sides of him and a Bradley wearing a dress is in the front seat with McCrow. "What happened?" Fanboy asks, sitting up straight and looking around.

Roger just shrugs. "S*** happened."

Fanboy rubs his neck and finds blood there. "DID SOMEBODY SHOOT ME?" he asks in shocked confusion.

Roger snorts, "Barely."

Everything comes back to Fanboy in a flash and he starts cursing irritably; his mood isn't improved much when they show up at the warehouse and Prophet directs their attention to one of his screens. News crews are at the scene of their last battle and a surviving S.C.A.R. agent has given a fairly decent description of everyone involved, they're calling it an act of terrorism against a government facility. The death toll also seem to be grossly exaggerated.

McCrow becomes red in the face with rage. "Terrorist!? They want to call me a terrorist? I'll show them a f-ing terrorist! WE'LL show them a f-ing terrorist! Where the hell's Tiffany?" he storms off cursing and ranting. "Tiffany!"

Fanboy starts to panic, all of their good will is burning up before his eyes and there's nothing that they can do about it. They haven't released their names yet, but that's just a matter of time...

Fanboy immediately calls Parks and tries to explain himself, but Parks cuts him off with a sigh. "It's over Samell. Whether you did or whether you didn't, it doesn't matter; I'm not in charge of S.C.A.R. anymore, they've given control over to Wilson and are keeping me and my men on for the time being purely in a support role."

Fanboy tries to warn Parks that Wilson is actually the serial killer but Parks responds that it's the word of a group of accused terrorists vs the word of a highly decorated officer and multiple soldiers. Fanboy insists that Michel and Mann could clear this up, but Parks responds by telling Fanboy that Mann claims to have been unconscious for most of the fight and Michael is dead. Fanboy excitedly points out that Bradley was a witness, he shot General Wilson and watched him regenerate! Parks points out that either Bradley is lying, or he's admitting to the attempted murder of a United States military official; neither is going to curry much favor with the DHS. Parks also mentions that Roger's ranting in the background about 'Showing this city an act of terrorism!' isn't helping things.

Fanboy exasperatedly asks if there's any way to prove that someone's a superhuman and Parks admits that there's none that he knows of short of invasive testing and he doesn't have the clout to pull that off anymore. Before they hang up Parks says that for what it's worth he believes them, but he's done all he can for them and is looking at losing his own career as a consequence. Fanboy says that if worse comes to worst, that Parks is welcome at the warehouse.

Parks thanks him, but says that he's not sure if moving from 'Unemployed' to 'Aiding Suspected Terrorists' is a lateral move.

Fanboy is disheartened but calls Finch, figuring that this is what they're paying the greasy bastard for in the first place. Fanboy quickly explains the situation and the blackhearted PR expert seems oddly unperplexed.

"Is that all?" Finch asks with his trademark nonchalance. "They're claiming it was a government facility right? Well we're claiming it was a secret government prison (Fanboy points out that that's basically the truth and Finch replies that he won't let that hold him back) filled with dissidents. They claim terrorist attack? We say peaceful protest and an unfortunate gas line blockage. By the time the media knows who's side they're on we'll have backdated permits and 2 dozen professional sign carriers claiming to have smelled a gas leak before the explosion."

"You can do that?" Fanboy asks incredulously.

"You want to claim they opened fire on your little group? I'll get some bodies and video of-"

"No, no..." Fanboy cuts him off. "Let's, umm...save that. What about the DHS, should we be expecting them to raid our compound?"

"From what I hear, that lawyer Weisner is pretty good at this sort of situation; he'll keep the official stuff off your back. Of course from what you've told me, it sounds like this Wilson guy doesn't go through official channels. Keep sharp and stay out of sight until Friday. I'll remind people why they love you."

"What happens Friday?" Fanboy asks nervously.

"Friday is your coming out party. The mayor is going to be holding a press conference about the state of crime in this city. Don't know if you've heard, but several young men have 'tragically' been gunned down by a vicious group of bikers in the last week, I have it on good authority that these hooligans are going to have some choice words for our dear mayor." Finch explains.

Fanboy is both comforted and disgusted by their continued association with the man.

Fanboy decides to share Finch's reassurances with McCrow and walks in on Bradley filming the aging hydromancer threatening to show this city terror like it's never experienced before if they don't watch their mouths. He's ranting that when he decides to terrorize the city, IT WILL STAY TERRIFIED!

Fanboy watches the spectacle in stunned silence for a moment and then wrestles Bradley for control of the camcorder. McCrow doesn't appreciate this attempt at censorship and throws himself into the fray with both fists. Fanboy's lack of powers makes this a fairly one sided fight, but McCrow relents when Fanboy says that he's heard from Finch.

Fanboy explains the intricate web of lies that Finch is weaving for them and McCrow seems into it until he gets to the part about them being peaceful protestors.

"That's slander!" McCrow shouts angrily. "Where does he get off pinning this hippy s*** on me?" McCrow continues to rant about Finch's solution and instructs Bradley to set the camera up again.

Fanboy just groans and and shuts the door.

Spoiler: Rescuing an Old 'Friend'
    Show
    It takes two days for Fanboy's power to return and as Finch instructed, they've spent this time inside; away from leering eyes and incriminating cameras. The cabin fever starts catching up to them fast and everyone swears that they're being messed with. Various personal objects disappear for an hour or two and then show up later in the strangest places. With all the kids running around (Lucky Dan's family moved in and has started bonding with Sandy and her kids) it seems likely that they're to blame, but nothing's been pinned on them yet.

Everyone's worried and gossiping about their current situation when Depaliamo pulls McCrow and Fanboy aside to speak to them. He probes them about the killer and asks if it's true that this guy is murdering supers and taking their powers. They don't appreciate this line of questioning and start whispering that maybe Depaliamo needs another few months in their Hole to reaffirm his loyalty. Depaliamo grows pale and shakes his head. He inquires if this guy is really running the DHS now and their suspicion grows.

"It's just...this guy's collecting supers right?" Depaliamo says nervously. "Didn't you turn over Johnny to DHS?"

Fanboy and McCrow's eyes both widen and they stare at each other in shock as they remember the beating that Johnny casually gave them and picture the kind of damage that the killer could do if he decided to add Johnny's powers to his own.

They aren't quite ready to settle the bad blood between them and Johnny on the Spot, but they know that they can't just leave him sitting in his cell. The discussion is short and unanimous: if the DHS is going to claim that they attacked a government facility and label them as terrorists then they aren't going to disappoint them.

They mull over several plans to extricate Johnny, but decide against a full frontal assault since their reputation most likely wouldn't survive the wholesale destruction of a shopping center even with Finch's gift for spin. Instead, they settle on disguising themselves as shoppers and searching for an entrance on site.

Fanboy dresses as casually as he can, but they discover that Roger apparently doesn't even own a shirt anymore, just two pairs of pants, an assortment of unflattering speedos, a pair of boots and a bullet riddled trench coat. "McCrow....you're a millionaire!" Fanboy says incredulously. "How the hell do you not own a shirt? What happened to that suit I bought you?"

Roger just shrugs and says that shirts have a tendency to get bloody, he doesn't bother with them anymore. Fanboy starts to ask how the hell McCrow functions in society and then remembers their first meeting and has his answer. Poorly.

They scour the warehouse for suitable clothes, but Fanboy is closest in size to McCrow and he's still about two off. When they finally load into their dark, windowless van; McCrow is sporting an Adventure Time t-shirt that hugs him a mite too snugly and exposes most of his navel. McCrow grumbles that he feels ridiculous, but Fanboy quips "We're going to Walmart, you'll fit right in."

Once they arrive they start poking around every nook and cranny as casually as possible, trying to find the entrance to the base below. They're looking for a door that's locked and they find several, so they narrow their search to: A door that's locked and can't be kicked in by McCrow. They find only one of those.

It's off to the side, down a hallway marked 'Employees Only' so they aren't too concerned with being spotted. McCrow wails against the door fruitlessly until his leg gets sore and he has to sit down. Fanboy heads to the grocery section and purchases two gallons of water, sneaking them back to McCrow who immediately sets to work creating droplets while Fanboy uses ESP to scout the area ahead; all he sees is an immense stairwell that extends beyond his sight.

The droplets slip behind the door and eventually manage to undo the latch, allowing our heroes inside. They rush downstairs as quickly and as quietly as they can and by the time they reach the bottom McCrow is panting heavily and red in the face. Fanboy mentions that he might want to look into some cardio and McCrow responds with an incomprehensible wheeze and dismissive wave of his hand.

They're so distracted arguing with each other that they barely notice the three S.C.A.R. agents walking down the hall that they just turned into. For a brief moment everyone stares at each other and then the soldiers shoulder their guns and open fire. Fanboy holds up his hand to absorb the first volley and Roger dives back around the corner and collapses to the ground to catch his breath and his droplets charge forward excitedly.

Fanboy slams one soldier into another, knocking the wind out of both of them and the droplets take this opportunity to leap onto one of the fallen men and gnaw at him viciously. The uninjured soldier opens fire with a full-auto burst and one of his bullets grazes Fanboy painfully. Roger continues trying to catch his breath.

Fanboy launches the uninjured soldier back down the hallway and into the wall, but the guy rolls with the blow and seems fine. The other two soldiers climb to their feet, one opens fire at Fanboy; the other attempts to shake off the droplets. Roger takes a glance around the corner but continues panting, a stray bullet blows through the wall next to him.

Fanboy telekinetically grapples one of the soldiers, attempting to crush the man's throat and suffocate him. The other two men open fire and Fanboy stumbles back, his force field threatening to give. McCrow rests a hand against the wall and closes his eyes, searching for water inside.

The soldiers open fire once again but one of them is hamstrung by one of the droplets, the man goes down with a shout that fades away to a pained gurgle as the second droplet bites savagely into his throat. Fanboy leaps behind cover to avoid the incoming fire and Roger erupts into his watery battleform, charging down the hallway with a roar.

The soldiers open fire wildly into Roger's battleform and he collapses at their feet, his water rapidly becoming red around him. Fanboy attempts to grapple one of the soldiers, but has to dodge out of the way to avoid a volley of his own. The droplets continue eating the fallen soldier.

One of the soldiers fires at Fanboy to keep him in cover, while the other puts another clip into Roger. Fanboy leaps out of cover and snatches one of the men, slamming him into a nearby wall to knock the wind out of him.

The remaining soldier opens fire at Fanboy, but Fanboy uses a hero point to negate his attack. The second soldier struggles against Fanboy's telekinetic grasp, but can't escape.

Fanboy continues crushing his grappled soldier and the other slaps in a new clip and takes aim, however a thick liquid arm snatches the weapon out of the soldier's hand and Roger struggles to his feet.

The unarmed soldier delivers a powerful front kick into McCrow, but his leg sinks into Roger's liquid form up to the thigh. Roger clamps down painfully and hurls the frightened man into the wall face first, stunning him as Fanboy continues force choking his man.

As the soldier attempts to regain his feet, McCrow forces the barrel of the man's own assault rifle into his rectum with all the force his hulking form can generate. The man shouts in pain as McCrow's water form melts away, leaving Roger holding the rest of the gun. Fanboy's soldier finally passes out and he tosses the man aside, wincing at McCrow's display.

"Damn, that's just-" Fanboy starts, but is interrupted by the sound of McCrow pulling the trigger.

Roger's still panting and his shirt is riddled with fresh bullet holes, "That son of a bitch wouldn't stop shooting me." he growls, shaking with rage. "He could dish it out, but he couldn't take it."

Fanboy almost begins a fresh argument with this line of reasoning, but realizes that they just got into a firefight in DHS HQ. He suggests that he and Roger should take a couple of S.C.A.R. uniforms to try and blend in and Roger agrees; although he has to mix and match since the uniforms are so damaged. The droplets are sent ahead to cause mayhem and the PCs change clothing quickly.

As Fanboy finishes up, he notices that Roger is going from soldier to soldier with a boot knife; mutilating the faces beyond recognition. Fanboy asks what the hell he's doing and Roger points out that this way they won't know who's missing. He suggests that Fanboy start dressing them in THEIR clothes to throw them off the track even further.

Soldiers are on the way, so Fanboy points out that time is of the essence. Roger reluctantly agrees, but bends down to disfigure the last face. Fanboy grasps his arm and tells him that this guy is still alive and McCrow says that that's the point. They argue for a brief moment, but Roger throws Fanboy off and before the telepath can react, it's too late to argue for the man any longer. Whoever he was, he's unrecognizable now.

Roger wipes his bloody hands on the Adventure Time shirt and they continue down the hallway, hearing the sound of gunfire up ahead as apparently the droplets have found their targets.

They recognize the area they're in as being adjacent to the testing chambers and quickly navigate their way to the holding cells; avoiding the approaching gunfire as best they can. The holding cells are currently unguarded and they begin peering into them, the first one they come across houses a thickly built creature that's more beast than man. It's raging at the walls and Fanboy notices that it's left several imprints of its face in the metal walls. He grins ear to ear and says that he'd like to get to know this guy.

The creature turns around and notices the pair of them in their stolen uniforms. "Aren't you a little small to be a S.C.A.R. trooper?" it growls at Fanboy.

"Are you with us, or against us?" Fanboy asks bluntly. The creature ***** its head and Fanboy continues "We're here to burn S.C.A.R. to the ground. Are you in or out?"

The beastman laughs and nods. "Open my cage and I'll kill whoever you want."

Fanboy shrugs, "Good enough." and with a flick of his wrist he tears the creature's door out of place. Before he can say a word the beast has burst forth and bolted down the hallway on all fours with a terrifying roar. The creature is going so fast that as it takes the corner it briefly runs along with walls and out of sight.

The only other current occupant of The Hole is Johnny himself, who's sitting on his bed dejectedly. The crippled speedster glares at the pair when they approach his cell. "The f*** do you a-holes want? Come to finish the job?" he asks angrily.

"Johnny, we're going to get you out of here. There's a psycho gunning for you." Fanboy explains, studying Johnny's cell door.

"Oh, we wouldn't want that. What's he going to do? Blow up my home? Steal all my money? Destroy my f-ing knees and leave me a cripple? Oh wait, someone beat him to it." Johnny says with a sneer.

Fanboy asks McCrow if Wilson could steal powers from a dead man and Roger just shrugs. Fanboy sighs and removes the cell door regardless. "We don't like this any more than you do you greasy guido bastard." Fanboy hisses, hoisting Johnny telekinetically. "You're coming with us, but give us a reason and your crippled ass goes into the ocean once we're out of here."

Johnny grumbles but doesn't seem to doubt that they'd do it, so keeps any further opinions to himself. They flee back the way they came and McCrow attempts to call in a bomb threat to clear out the crowded shopping center above them; he finds that they're too deep underground to get a signal out.

As they hurriedly turn a corner, they discover why the gunfire has stopped. Half a dozen S.C.A.R. soldiers lay scattered across the hallway, torn to shreds. The beastman is huddled over one of the fallen soldiers and is still raining down blows and snarling. Fanboy gets his attention to suggest he join them and for a moment, the creature seems to consider doing the same to him. It shakes its head and seems to clear its mind for a moment, before agreeing that it was time to go.

McCrow suddenly has an idea and breaks off from the group. Fanboy demands to know what he's doing and catches McCrow tossing a lab, the older man is releasing propane and any other substance he comes across into the air and gets a wicked glint in his eye when he suggests torching the place.

Fanboy thinks for a moment and decides that they're really in too deep to stop now, so he agrees. They go from room to room smashing anything that looks flammable and setting fires. McCrow also begins destroying random water lines to keep the sprinklers from working. They're pretty pleased with themselves, that is until and explosion rocks the compound accompanied by an earsplitting roar. The roof begins crumbling and they glance back before they leave, just long enough to see a man stumble out of the morgue bathed in flame. The man is screaming, though whether in pain or rage is impossible to determine, and plunges into a wall of flames; appearing to absorb them into himself, growing larger and more intense. By the time they scamper up the stairs the man is more than 12ft tall and only vaguely humanoid...and still growing.

They take the stairs quickly, but when they emerge into the shopping center it's a raging inferno. A good portion of the floor has given out and the flames are spreading unnaturally fast.

People are panicking, their escape is cut off and the heat is unbearable. Roger begins removing the S.C.A.R. armor and suggests that Fanboy does the same. Fanboy obliges but asks why they're stripping. Roger grins and says that he doesn't want S.C.A.R. to get the credit for this. Fanboy grins in return and slips on his mask.

Tossing his body armor aside and standing bare chested amid the flames McCrow grits his teeth and forces a geyser of water to explode from the floor and ceiling, washing over the area and clearing a path outside. Fanboy uses his abilities to keep any nearby civilians from getting caught in a sudden collapse and two of them begin directing an evacuation of the building.

They're surprisingly thorough and scour the store to make sure nobody is left behind, when they emerge carrying Johnny and covered in soot, a news crew swarms them. McCrow bows out of an interview and slips away to avoid being noticed; but Fanboy gives the camera a winning smile and says that wherever disaster strikes; he'll be here for the citizens.

Somebody asks if the rumors that General Wilson has lobbed against them are true and Fanboy stares directly into the camera and responds. "Certain factions of the government are afraid of us. Afraid that we will make them redundant..make them useless. I don't blame them for being concerned with job security, but stunts like THIS," he says gesturing at the fire "Cannot be excused."

The crowd erupts, many are cheering the heroes for saving the day; others are asking if the government is responsible for today's tragedy. Fanboy waves them off with a smile and causes a mass hallucination that allows him to escape without them even realizing it.

Maybe blowing up a shopping center wasn't such a bad career move after all...

Spoiler: and Dismemberment
    Show

"I'm glad you boys could join me." General Wilson says as Mann and Michael enter his office. The two men are confused because they thought Parks was the one who had called for them. They're both distressed to learn that Wilson is their new boss.

The General moves to shake their hands and thanks them for their assistance the other day, Mann is as professional as always and downplays his contribution to driving off the terrorist faction known as McCrow and Friends; however Michael wears a visible scowl as Wilson tries to take his hand. Wilson asks what's wrong and Michael scoffs, saying that he's not in the habit of shaking the hands of men who have murdered him.

Wilson seems taken aback for a moment and Mann frowns in confusion before Michael elaborates. "Do you not remember me? You ordered my death every day for six months. You turned my life into a science experiment and then got mad when I didn't break when you were done."

Wilson is relieved that his secret is still safe and shakes his head sadly. "We try to do the right thing Mr Stockton, we don't always succeed. Regardless of how you feel about me however, I'm sure you'll agree that what we're doing NOW is necessary. Many of these superhumans we've accidentally unleashed on the public are monsters and MUST be contained. Take this case for example." Wilson says, tossing a folder of pictures on the table.

Mann begins laying them out and sees an attractive young woman with dark hair and and a deep smile. The photos are an assortment from over the past few years and they're mostly your typical family outing pictures. The last one however shows her crushed, bloody remains smeared across a parking lot.

"Her name was Michelle, what's left of her was buried on Wednesday." Wilson states plainly. "She was violated and beaten with more force than any human could generate, and we know exactly who did it."

Michael and Mann look up from the photos, Mann's jaw is set in anger but Michael's rage seems to have been diverted by the gruesome images.

"Six years ago this girl was a freshman in Professor Bryan Gerald's classroom. He coerced her into a relationship that ended with her in the hospital and charges being pressed against Gerald. He hasn't gotten over their time together. From some of the police reports she's filed over the years he seems to have blamed her for the loss of his reputation, job and family. Seems like he got his vengeance." Wilson explains.

"How do you know it's him?" Michael asks.

"We have a short list of people of interest from the crash; people who are believed to have escaped the crash before emergency crews arrived. We've been following him for a while now. It seems to have been time well spent."

"We'll find him." Mann assures Wilson.

"Make sure to bring him in ALIVE." Wilson stresses. "We need him for questioning."

Michael raises an eyebrow. "What kind of questioning?"

"I'm not at liberty to say." Wilson answers.

"Are you keeping him here or offsite again?" Michael presses further.

"Off-site. I've got a new facility being constructed as we speak." Wilson says, getting annoyed.

Michael shakes his head "I don't like the thought of losing another prisoner due to lack of personnel, I really think that-"

"Luckily, you don't have to like it." Wilson interrupts bluntly, "You just have to DO it. Now, consider yourselves dismissed."

Neither Mann or Michael appreciate Wilson's attitude, but set out to find Professor Gerald regardless. They take what files they can find on him and requisition what they need for their assignment; Mann is surprised when Michael straps on a gun identical to his but Michael explains that after getting hit by Mann's sedatives, he's convinced that Mann can handle him if things get too rough.

They track down Professor Gerald's home without much effort and are surprised to see the Professor casually exiting the building as they pull up. "Excuse me, Professor?" Agent Mann calls out as they approach. "We'd like to ask you a few questions."

Professor Gerald stops in his tracks and asks how he can help them. Michael lies and tells the Professor that they have reason to believe that somebody is threatening his life and that they need to bring him in for further questions. Professor Gerald laughs and waves them off.

Mann cuts to the chase and tells him that they have reason to believe that he's connected to the death of Michelle Gray and the Ventnor City Bus Hijacking. The Professor seems shocked for a moment and then smiles calmly, "How did you know I was on the bus?" he asks sheepishly.

Michael admits that they didn't until now, but demands that the professor turns himself over to the authorities. The professor agrees and extends his hands in a gesture of submission. "Of course." he says pleasantly.

They cuff Professor Gerald and lead him to their car, surprised at how easy it was this time. As they're loading him up, he gets chattier.

"I knew that it was only a matter of time before we started making the news." Professor Gerald says as Mann starts the car. "I've been waiting for someone to show up for me ever since that young man, what's his name, Fanboy? Ever since he started making the news I just knew that someone would be coming for me." he says, sounding pleased with himself.

"I'm surprised that he chose such a ridiculous name. He could have been our ambassador to you people, but instead he's just one more clown in the circus...." Professor Gerald continues, tsking.

Michael snaps at him "Does this babbling have a point?"

A strange sound starts to come from the back of the car, the sound of metal dragging against asphalt.

"Oh, just making conversation. You know, I've adopted a moniker of my own." Professor Gerald says, his voice several degrees deeper than before. "Don't think me pretentious, but Bryan no longer seems fitting for one such as me. You may refer to me...as Cottus."

"Who?" Michael asks as he glances back to see that the professor takes up the entire back seat at this point and is still growing. "Mann, stop the car!" he shouts and braces himself as his partner slides to a stop. The two of them leap out in time to watch their roof burst from the pressure inside.

"Cottus." the growing form of the professor repeats, shrugging off the shell of the car as he continues to expand. "Forgive me, perhaps I should have chosen one of his better known brethren. Perhaps you are more familiar with the exploits of Briareus or Gyges?" his booming voice chuckles. The creature emerging from the car is nearly 30ft tall with 3 sets of arms; the first set is massive and thick; the second are leaner but still muscular and located under the first; the third are thin and gangly and protrude from his abdominals.

Mann and Michael continue gawking as 'Cottus' finishes his transformation.

"You know. The Hetaconchires? The hundred armed titans who assisted the gods ascension to Olympus?" the professor shouts exasperatedly.

Mann and Michael glance at each other as they draw their weapons. Mann removes his tranq gun from its holster as Michael draws his .45 and the two of them start spreading out.

"WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE EVEN DO IN SCHOOL?" Cottus bellows, red in the face as he hurls the broken remains of the car directly into Michael. Stockton is smeared over about 20ft of road before the twisted wreckage comes to a stop.

Mann fires a tranq into Cottus's stomach but the hulking monster doesn't seem to notice. It does however perform a mighty leap towards Mann but the agent manages to roll out of the way at the last second. Meanwhile, Michael starts to crawl out of the now burning wreckage and starts popping bones back into place.

Cottus lunges forward and snatches up Mann who responds by firing a dart directly into the brute's face. Cottus drops his victim and stumbles backwards a step, light headed. At this point Michael is back in the game and he opens fire with everything he's got. The bullets bounce off the titan's skin; but the intent behind them enrages Cottus all the more.

In the blink of an eye Cottus has snatched Michael up in one massive hand and puts his fist (along with the hapless Stockton) through the brick wall of an adjoining building. The blow shatters every bone in Michael's body, yet he manages to mainain his grip in his gun. Cottus follows up his aggressive display by using Stockton to crush a car flat and Michael's new .45 gets lost in the commotion. Mann opens fire with his tranq gun again and despite Cottus's immense size, the drugs begin taking effect.

Seeing that things could possibly against him, Cottus drops Michael and attempts to leap away. His system is sluggish and he barely manages to make it halfway up an adjoining building, he spends the rest of his turn climbing the building and Mann takes careful aim; firing once more. The dart catches Cottus in his big, bare ass and the monster collapses at the top of the building. ((I couldn't roll a Fort save to save my life as Cottus. Even re-rolling them I couldn't hit a simple DC17.))

Michael can walk again and tells Mann to get them a transport while he finishes this. Mann places a call back to HQ and requests a helicopter to come take this thing away. Meanwhile, Michael runs up to the building and decides to climb to the top to continue the fight. He rolls a 10 and I tel him that he makes it just past the 1st window sill and warn him that this might take a while. His player laughs and says "I'm going to climb this building to kick his ass or die trying! I don't care how long it takes." The next turn he rolls a 3 and falls about 10ft, knocking the wind out of himself. He says "I give up, I'm just going to lay here; I'm sure Mann can handle things from here."

Mann on the other hand decides to take the stairs and charges up them at full tilt. Once Michael realizes that the stairs might be the answer to his predicament gets up and charges after Mann. No sooner do they reach the roof than Cottus has regained consciousness and is shakily getting back to his feet.

Mann raises his weapon to fire and Cottus interrupts him with a powerful overhand blow, squashing Mann like an irritating fly. Michael, realizing he's unarmed and that Cottus is on the rampage pulls out every ounce of his acrobatic talent to run up Cottus's lower body; nearly reaching his waist. Since a naked man has few accessible hand holds Michael makes do with what he has and bear hugs Cottus's...man parts.

Cottus is obviously unhappy with this development, but it quickly gets worse as Michael swings his legs and uses the generated momentum to donkey kick the rampaging professor's testicles. Cottus gasps in pain and sinks to one knee, the sudden motion causes Michael to lose his grip and tumble to the roof.

Michael lunges for Mann's tranquilizer gun but Cottus snatches him up first and with a wordless roar hurls the accident prone agent down the block where he bounces over and destroys several parked cars before coming to a rest as a bloody pile of meat and nerves.

By the time Michael has recovered Cottus is gone and he makes his way back to the roof top to check on Mann, as he finally steps onto the roof he draws breath in shock.

Mann is still laying where Cottus left him, most of his insides on the outside and suffering more broken bones than most men can name. Neither of Mann's legs are facing the same direction and his entire chest cavity is crushed obscenely. Michael drops down to check Mann's pulse, but discovers that Mann's right arm is no longer connected to the rest of him and his eyes have rolled up in shock. Mann's entire body feels like a wet sack of broken glass.

Michael tries to think of something he can do, anything at all; but first aid was never his strong suit and his limited training has seemingly abandoned him after years of ignoring it. In the distance he can hear the steady 'whump, whump, whump' of Mann's requested air support and begins waving his arms wildly; hoping that someone more qualified that himself may be able to save his partner's life.
    Last edited by Kid Jake; 2014-08-27 at 02:27 PM.

My Campaign Journals

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

AT LONG LAST, THE SAGA CONTINUES!

"Oh that's just great. I'm dead and trapped in New Jersey. When do I get to hell?" he mutters bitterly.
    *looks up "Ventnor City, New Jersey"*

*turns out it's a real place*

Huh.

Even further to the west, in the pillar of light itself, is a massive vaguely humanoid creature nearly 12ft tall with a skeletal frame, overly lanky limbs and tight, leathery skin similar to a mummy's. Michael focuses his attention on the creature as one of the drifting souls drifts too close; the creature's jaw distends obscenely and it engulfs a young black man with sharp fins on his arms and back. The creature seems slightly less skeletal, but all the more inhuman as its victim is absorbed.

Michael is a little nervous at this point and the creature looks up, glancing around the damned spectres floating ever closer. A hollow voice whispers "You will all return to me that which is mine." and then Michael sits up.
    Calling it now: Cthulhu-brand Super-Juice.

The cabin fever starts catching up to them fast and everyone swears that they're being messed with. Various personal objects disappear for an hour or two and then show up later in the strangest places. With all the kids running around (Lucky Dan's family moved in and has started bonding with Sandy and her kids) it seems likely that they're to blame, but nothing's been pinned on them yet.
    Hehehe.

Spoiler: For DM's Eyes Only
    Show
    How long before the place goes full Haunted Mansion?

Once they arrive they start poking around every nook and cranny as casually as possible, trying to find the entrance to the base below. They're looking for a door that's locked and they find several, so they narrow their search to: A door that's locked and can't be kicked in by McCrow. They find only one of those.
    Ah, the old Barbarian Trapfinding.

The roof begins crumbling and they glance back before they leave, just long enough to see a man stumble out of the morgue bathed in flame. The man is screaming, though whether in pain or rage is impossible to determine, and plunges into a wall of flames; appearing to absorb them into himself, growing larger and more intense. By the time they scamper up the stairs the man is more than 12ft tall and only vaguely humanoid...and still growing.
    ...And is promptly forgotten about. Oh, well, I'm sure that won't come back to bite the in any way.

"WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE EVEN DO IN SCHOOL?" Cottus bellows, red in the face as he hurls the broken remains of the car directly into Michael. Stockton is smeared over about 20ft of road before the twisted wreckage comes to a stop.
    Does Michael have a "Worf" flaw or something, because I've noticed that most fights seem to start with him getting ludicrously gibbed.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-08-27 at 03:02 PM.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    AT LONG LAST, THE SAGA CONTINUES!

*looks up "Ventnor City, New Jersey"*

*turns out it's a real place*

Huh.
    Yeah, I wanted a real place that was a decent size but wasn't important enough that people would really recognize it, so I looked over some atlases for a place that was on the ocean and noticed that Ventnor was near Atlantic City; I figured that it might be fun for the super stuff to spill over into a casino at one point so bam, we're based in NJ. I really liked the idea of a world changing event which forever alters the course of history happening in a city that people's first instinct is 'That sounds made up.'

Calling it now: Cthulhu-brand Super-Juice.
    Not too far off.

Hehehe.

Spoiler: For DM's Eyes Only
    Show
    How long before the place goes full Haunted Mansion?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Next time I get bored.

I'm going to try and make the haunting start subtle and gain momentum, but if there's a big enough lull somebody might just get possessed to keep life from becoming easy for them.

Ah, the old Barbarian Trapfinding.
    I found it hilarious that he had plenty of energy to beat on the door, but going down a couple flights of stairs nearly gave him a heart attack.

...And is promptly forgotten about. Oh, well, I'm sure that won't come back to bite the in any way.
    IC I think the reasoning was that the fire man would provide a distraction in case S.C.A.R. tried to follow them. OOC McCrow's player said that he wanted to wait and fight the fire elemental when it was at its best.

Does Michael have a "Worf" flaw or something, because I've noticed that most fights seem to start with him getting ludicrously gibbed.
    All of his points went into buying up Regeneration and Kicking Things, so both his Defense and Toughness were pretty much neglected. His player questioned the point of dodging when it takes less effort for him to just grow new lungs. As for why he's always the first one attacked, I don't think I do a good job of representing Michael's smart mouth in the write up. His battlecry is basically 'Bet'cha can't hit me nanner nanner!'

He runs it constantly for two pretty good reasons.
    1. Death is his bitch, why should he care if he makes someone mad?
    2. He'd rather the heavy hitters aim for him than the people around him. He can walk away from whatever they throw at him, others like Mann (as demonstrated) can't.

My Campaign Journals

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

A pleasure to read as always.

I wonder how much damage the reanimated fire elemental will do before McCrow and Fanboy decide to try and recruit it for their little war.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

This is always very funny and well written. I can't wait for the next update.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome! This was a good update

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

I'm so glad people enjoy reading this. Really. Especially considering half of the things that never get posted because they're said amidst half drunken, nerd rage filled banter. An audio log would give you the best look at why things tend to turn out the way they do but at the same time I'm pretty sure half of our back and forth should never leave the group >=D

16. - Top - End - #196
    Banned

You should commission someone to turn this into a comic strip. It's that awesome.

17. - Top - End - #197

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ah, another episode!

I've been wondering what's missing from my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    You should commission someone to turn this into a comic strip. It's that awesome.
    I believe this is actually being discussed at the moment. Or at least the details of how to make it happen .

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    A pleasure to read as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketman8 View Post
    This is always very funny and well written. I can't wait for the next update.
    Awesome! This was a good update
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Werebear View Post
    Ah, another episode!

I've been wondering what's missing from my life
    Glad we're still entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I wonder how much damage the reanimated fire elemental will do before McCrow and Fanboy decide to try and recruit it for their little war.
    I'm assuming that they'll let it keep burning until it burns something of theirs. I'm not sure if they even know whether they intend on trying to recruit it or murder it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Heh, thanks. I actually tried to commission a mock cover a month or two back hoping to spring them on my players as a joint birthday present, but the guy fell through. If I can get a decent quote on a few pages I'd love to get a small-scale kickstarter started, seeing this ilustrated would fulfill several lifelong dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafu View Post
    I'm so glad people enjoy reading this. Really. Especially considering half of the things that never get posted because they're said amidst half drunken, nerd rage filled banter. An audio log would give you the best look at why things tend to turn out the way they do but at the same time I'm pretty sure half of our back and forth should never leave the group >=D
    Yeah, it might not come off as epic if they heard us arguing with McCrow for half an hour over whether or not he could wear another man's face to get a disguise bonus. I'd still like to record a session with everyone and post it one day though, maybe a Paranoia one-shot?

My Campaign Journals

20. - Top - End - #200

Well, not sure I like the monster parasite in the afterlife when there's one of those in life. Seems a bit doomed if you, doomed if don't with your players. Well, the rest is still a nice read. Nice and pulpy.

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Well, not sure I like the monster parasite in the afterlife when there's one of those in life. Seems a bit doomed if you, doomed if don't with your players. Well, the rest is still a nice read. Nice and pulpy.
    Thanks. I agree that it's sort of a 'Heads I win, tails you lose' situation with the PCs, but that's the price you pay for godlike power. Looming, godlike threats.

Not to get into too much detail about the creature in the afterlife but I will say that
    Spoiler
    Show
    It isn't stealing powers (though similarities between it and Wilson aren't a coincidence) and it didn't come from the canisters.

My Campaign Journals

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Not to get into too much detail about the creature in the afterlife but I will say that
    Spoiler
    Show
    It isn't stealing powers (though similarities between it and Wilson aren't a coincidence) and it didn't come from the canisters.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the other way around, yes? Like I said, "Cthulhu-brand Super-Juice."

23. - Top - End - #203

Spoiler
    Show
    It's the other way around, yes? Like I said, "Cthulhu-brand Super-Juice."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, there's reason that an anthropologist was listed among the potential founders of the project.

My Campaign Journals

24. - Top - End - #204
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

You guys are so awesome, you get my very first fan art:

Spoiler: Fanboy
    Show

Spoiler: McCrow
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by D-naras View Post

Show

Show
    Those are awesome.

Made my day.

My Campaign Journals

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Show

Show
    Ok that's just downright sexy.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Show

Show
    Haha, those are so rad! Well done. This story definitely needs more illustrations.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Banned

... when did Fanboy ditch the Stormtrooper armor?

29. - Top - End - #209

I think it was actually in the second session. Which is weird, because any time I mention Fanboy I still picture him wearing it.

My Campaign Journals

30. - Top - End - #210

This one was really rushed today. Around 3:00 McCrow called me and asked if I could DM a game today since one of his friends was interested in trying Mutants and Masterminds out; I told him sure and at 5:00 we were playing, so if things seem halfassed...it's because they were.

It was still an interesting session though and it managed to advance our main plot a tad, so I thought it was worth sharing anyway.

Spoiler: The New Blood Project
    Show
    For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The day that Roger McCrow and Samell Hamilton decided that they were too big to bow to the DHS, the DHS decided that they were too big to ignore. Thus was born The New Blood Project.

Nobody knows how many prototypes have been produced, least of all the prototypes themselves; however know how many prototypes remain: seven. The final line of beta testing before The New Blood Project gives the world the supermen that it believes the world deserves.

General Wilson personally greets the last batch of volunteers after a thorough physical; dividing them into pairs and congratulating them, pair by pair. The last pair he approaches consists of a emaciated Asian man with greasy, unkempt hair putting on ragged clothing that smells of the street and a well manicured blonde man in an immaculately tailored suit; adjusting a neatly pressed silk tie.

Wilson speaks to both men briefly, from his files he knows that the asian man's name is Adam Zing; a homeless man who'd accepted $50 and free lodging in exchange for participation in a project that (unknown to him) had a less than 50% survival rate. Surprisingly, the blonde man is Dr Steinz; a renowned psychiatrist who volunteered for the project out of the blue; his enthusiasm was suspicious but the project needed all the bodies it could find.

Once the pleasantries are out of the way, General Wilson explains that they've passed their physicals with flying colors but the project still needs field testing before the project is considered a success. He tells the two men that he's contracted outside help to oversee their training and sends them down the hall to meet their supervisor.

Several doors down, Mr. Zing and Dr Steinz find an attractive young woman milling about and she introduces herself as Tiffany. She skips the niceties and asks what they can do, her abruptness catches them off guard and she transforms into her diamond form. They stare at her with a little awe and with a flick of her wrist she sends a razor sharp shard past Mr. Zing's face; drawing blood (to her surprise, she didn't mean to hit him; but didn't apologize either) and opening his face. "What. Can. You. Do?" she repeats.

Neither of them had explored the full extent of their powers, however Mr. Zing extends his hands and focuses his energy until a burst of air whips about the room; lifting a table and flipping it violently against the wall. She seems impressed and nods. They start calling him Mr. Amazing, whether patronizingly or endearingly it's hard to tell.

Tiffany asks Dr Steinz to showcase his ability but Steinz declines, saying that whatever this project may have done to him, he believes that his true strength lies in rational discussion, leading to a satisfactory resolution for all involved. Tiffany decides that she doesn't like this pompous windbag and summons another crystalline shard to her hand, however Dr Steinz simply sighs and rests a hand on her shoulder; saying that violence among colleagues accomplishes nothing and urges her to seek a peaceful resolution to their disagreement, he points out that her diamond form is wholly unnecessary and that if they're to work together, their partnership should form from a place of mutual respect and trust; not fear and intimidation.

She walks away shaking her head, hating the weenie more than before; but no longer in the mood to eviscerate him.

Spoiler: Field Testing
    Show
    They discover that Wilson has charged Tiffany (and by extension themselves) with assaulting the arms storage of a local mobster named Nikolai Chavenski. Wilson was very explicit that he wanted no survivors and the cargo intact.

They requisition a truck from the garage and Tiffany forces Dr. Steinz to drive; saying that he's no good for anything else and she needs her hands free to murder. It doesn't take long for them to make their way to a barn just outside of town, eight men in overalls are unloading a massive truck while six other men stand guard around the perimeter, assault rifles drawn.

It's impossible to miss their truck baring down on the property and the soldiers shout warnings to turn back; however Tiffany hangs out the window and sprays a volley of crystal into one of the armed men's chest; the man collapses to the ground, bleeding. The soldiers open fire with everything they've got and everyone but Tiffany ducks for cover, she simply lets the bullets drop off her like water off a duck. Several workmen take cover behind the truck while the rest bolt into the barn itself.

Tiffany leaps out of their vehicle and suffers a barrage of bullets so severe that she stumbles back a step. Mr Amazing panics and tries to flee, to his surprise he transforms into a thick gas and slips out of the car through the bullet holes. Dr Steinz steps out of the car casually and approaches the soldiers with his hands up in a gesture of peace.

"I'm unarmed gentlemen." he calls plainly. "As you can see, I'm of no threat to anyone; least of all yourselves. No, the ones you should fear are the murderers behind you; they would slit your throat to the last man if you give them the chance."

Four of the armed soldiers grow panicked, spinning around and opening fire on their comrades behind the truck. Two are killed outright and the others leap down to avoid the spray of bullets, the rest of the workmen begin loudly barricading themselves in the barn. Tiffany lunges forward and seizes the last soldier in his right mind and snaps the man's neck effortlessly. Mr Amazing floats above the chaos and causes a powerful gust of wind which tips over the truck and crushes the men using it for cover.

Dr Steinz approaches the barn door and knocks politely. "You're putting up barriers between us, but you know that they're unnecessary. We all want the same thing; so please, drop your weapons and come out so we can talk this through."

A single dissenting voice begins shouting, asking the rest of the workers what the hell they're doing and trying to talk some sense into them; the rest scoff and reply that everything's going to be fine. Tiffany pops open a crate to check what's inside and finds several high quality assault weapons with various accessories. Mr Amazing slips into the barn with his gaseous form and descends on the dissenter, cutting the man off from oxygen and causing the guy to pass out; allowing the rest of the workers to dig their way out in peace.

As the workers inside file out, Dr Steinz steps aside and calls to the soldiers saying "You see how these men charge you? They have murder in their eyes."

A quick volley of lead kills all but two of the workers who suddenly realize what's happening and charge back inside in a blind panic, one of them dives behind a crate for cover; the other huddles under a low shelf. Mr Amazing strikes the man behind the crate with a burst of wind and knocks him unconscious; Tiffany continues pulling apart crates, finding more guns in various models.

"What's that man's name?" Dr Steinz asks one of the soldiers, indicating the man who fled further into the warehouse.

"Joseph." one of the soldiers replies helpfully.

"Ah, of course." Dr Steinz says with an appreciative grin. He suddenly looks worried and points at the four soldiers who have gathered in a circle behind him, he tsks. "Look at the man to your left. Now look at the man to your right. They're both traitors and mean to turn you in to the authorities." he says scoldingly.

As Dr Steinz walks into the barn he hears four assault rifles bark repeatedly and four dull thuds, then silence.

"Joseph." Dr Steinz calls out. "Joseph, please don't be afraid. I'm a doctor, I'm here to help."

He hears a whimper and kneels down, glancing until he sees the trembling form of the last Russian. "Joseph..." Dr Steinz says with a pained sigh "I know that it hurts. I know that you're scared and confused and don't understand what's happening, but just listen to my voice and it will all be okay. Now take a deep breath. Good, good... Now NEVER exhale, alright Joseph? No matter how much it feels like you need to."

Tiffany approaches as the Russian begins turning purple and asks what's going on. Dr Steinz waves her off dismissively and says that everything is fine. She orders Steinz and Mr Amazing to start loading the truck but he shakes her head, smiles and says "I believe it would go faster if YOU loaded it."

Two hours later Tiffany has loaded all the crates she can into their vehicle and scowls at the useless men inside, glad she kept them out of her way but unsure of exactly why she didn't want them underfoot. She finds Dr Steinz sitting in the manager's office drinking a cup of coffee and paging through a magazine and Mr Amazing passed out on a couch, covered in chips and cookie crumbs. She tells them it's time to go and asks what they think they should do with the rest of the merchandise.

Dr Steinz says that Wilson should be informed of it and leave it at that, but both Tiffany and Mr Amazing want to sell it. The problem is that neither knows anyone that wants it. Tiffany suggests selling it to the Russian mob, since they bought it once they'd probably want it enough to buy it again; but not even Mr. Amazing thinks that's a good idea; so she agrees to let Wilson's men come by later and pick it up.

As they climb into the car however, she sends a text to Fanboy telling him to grab McCrow and come pick up some guns; she figures that she'll squeeze them for some cash later.

The drive back is uneventful and Wilson is ecstatic to hear that they're combat ready. After getting everyone's description of the events, he says that they've even exceeded his expectations. He extends his hand and Tiffany takes it, he smiles broadly and she feels funny; but says nothing. Wilson turns to Dr Steinz who accepts the offered hand and also feels like he's suddenly missing something. Wilson offers his hand to Mr Amazing, however the addled homeless man doesn't like to be touched and just waves his appreciation back.

Wilson tries to hide his disappointment, saying that they've done so well that he's going to give them each three days rest at a local hotel. He says that he doesn't want them to strain themselves so that the next leg of their evaluation will be accurate.

Spoiler: Facing Luvless
    Show
    Mr Amazing enjoys his downtime immensely, he empties the mini-bar as fast as they restock it; orders room service so often that he makes himself sick and when he leaves; does so with his pockets full of tiny bottles of liquor and various snacks.

Dr Steinz spends his time catching up on work, letting his secretary know that he expects to return to practice within another week or so and assures her that his vacation is going swimmingly.

Tiffany attempts to rob a jewelry store. I say attempts, because before her powers she was just a particularly daring shoplifter; after her powers she became a daring catburglar and successful smash and grab artist. She discovers that her powers aren't functioning properly and calls Wilson about it while still outside the store she just attempted to tear a hole in. He says that he'll schedule her a physical, but puts it off until the three days are up. By the time she's looked over, her powers are back and the physician says that it's most likely just her body adapting to all of the new changes.

After Tiffany's checkup is over, General Wilson assembles her and the team and says that he has the ultimate test. Even Parks' lapdogs couldn't pull this one off. He explains to them that Doctor Luvless has been leisurely robbing a bank for the past two hours, for some reason he's just barricaded himself inside and keeps provoking the police. Wilson says that he's keeping the press out of this, but wants it resolved quickly and demands Luvless brought in alive.

The team agrees and bolts off to save the day. Once they arrive they discover four of the black and gold Luvbots standing on the steps like silent guardians. They make no move forwards, however several bodies lay on the steps themselves and the police seem to refuse to go past a certain line. The cops fire off the occasional round, but it does nothing of any note and seems to ding harmlessly off the Luvbots.

Tiffany approaches in diamond form and demands to know why the police aren't doing anything and they respond that they aren't throwing their lives away for nothing. She furrows her brow, snatches one of the officers and hurls him at the bank doors where he lands with a hard splat. Before he can even stand up one of the Luvbots fires off a ray point blank that leaves him as nothing more than charred ash.

"Well that answers that..." Tiffany says with a surprised look.

Mr Amazing turns into his gas form and rushes the steps, however his form is incorporeal, not invisible and the Luvbots fire; their super-heated rays scorching even his intangible body. He slips into the bank itself and discovers Luvless sitting boredly, tinkering with a with a small sphere. Doctor Luvless looks up and smirks. "Well you're new." and tosses a pair of the spheres which quickly project a hard light exterior which becomes the familiar form of the Luvbots.

Dr Steinz asks one of the still shocked officers if there's a back entrance and then heads around to try and force it open.

Tiffany charges forward, smashing one of the Luvbots with a powerful blow as Mr Amazing suddenly decides that inside isn't where he wants to be and floats into an overhead vent. Dr Steinz finds the back door and attempts to kick it in, but accomplishes nothing. The Luvbots outside fire on Tiffany, scorching her even through her diamond exterior and Luvless fires up into the vents after Amazing, however he misses the homeless hero and instead blows a hole in the roof.

Tiffany suddenly decides she doesn't want to fight the Luvbots (she hadn't fought them before and didn't realize how scary they were) and scampers up the wall everything she's got; just in time to see Mr Amazing fleeing from the hole in the roof. As they pass each other, Amazing shouts "You don't want to go in there!" and she glances down, seeing Doctor Luvless and four more Luvbots. Dr Steinz has found a pipe in the alleyway and is attempting to pry open the door, but accomplishes nothing.

Mr Amazing smashes one of the Luvbots on the step with a personal tornado as he flies past them and beyond their range; Tiffany finds Dr Steinz and carries him to the roof; she tells him that she's going to jump down with him and then he can talk to the robots and make them stand down. Dr Steinz looks at her like she's crazy and tells her that he isn't some sort of magic robot whisperer. She doesn't listen and leaps down anyway.

Dr Steinz hides behind Tiffany as she barely tanks the first wave of blasts from the Luvbots, he calmly explains to Doctor Luvless why the good doctor should take a nap, but Luvless shakes the mental control off and laughs appreciatively at the attempt. Tiffany throws a crystalline shard into Luvless's knee that stops his laughter dead and nearly makes him collapse.

Mr Amazing continues directing his tornado to smash Luvbots on the outside while dodging their fire. Doctor Luvless fires at Dr Steinz with his Powerstaff, missing the gabby psychiatrist and putting a new hole in the wall. The rest of the Luvbots open fire and Tiffany lunges forward, slicing through one neatly. Dr Steinz looks at Luvless's staff and has an idea.

"Doctor Luvless, doctor to doctor; your contraption intrigues me. Obviously that's more power than any one man can control, wouldn't you like to share the burden for a bit?" Dr Steinz asks pleasantly. Doctor Luvless doesn't know why, but tosses the staff to Steinz; happy to be rid of it. Tiffany immediately shouts for Steinz to use it, but after looking at the dozen different buttons on it Steinz refuses. She asks why and he says that it's because he's a doctor and thus smart enough not to press random buttons on a strange device.

Tiffany lunges onto Steinz and plucks the staff from his hands greedily. She presses a random button and immediately begins to levitate; she cackles with joy. Dr Steinz is red in the face, he nearly stammers but finds his voice and says as calmly as he can manage "You need to give me the staff so that we can capture Doctor Luvless once and for all."

Tiffany agrees, though she's not sure why, and tosses Steinz the Powerstaff; however Steinz' distraction allowed Doctor Luvless to break free and he responds by extending a golden gauntlet. There's an indescribable pull and Steinz has the staff yanked from his hands, Luvless snatches it easily and smiles.

"Thanks." Luvless says and with the press of a button he's simply gone.

Both Steinz and Tiffany just stare at where he used to be, nearly slack jawed as Mr Amazing finishes the last of the Luvbots outside. The Luvbots inside begin opening fire and Steinz rushes for the door, abandoning the hostages inside, as Tiffany suffers the brunt of their attacks. As Steinz runs out the door and Mr Amazing is going in Steinz shouts over his shoulder "Don't go in there!"

Mr Amazing smashes a Luvbot inside, providing Tiffany the chance to also abandon the hostages and bolt out the bank door after Steinz. Dr Steinz gets to their car first, leaps behind the wheel and manages to get it cranked and in gear just before Tiffany reaches him. As he's pealing off Tiffany fires a crystalline spray that shreds the side of the vehicle and nearly pops his tire. Tiffany begins cursing and pointlessly runs after him, forgetting all about Mr Amazing still in the bank.

It's a harrowing fight, but Mr Amazing manages to rally the police, storm the bank; kill the Luvbots and free the hostages without any further injury. He's hailed as a hero all around although he doesn't show his true form, afraid that the public might turn away from him if they find that he's one of the homeless.

Spoiler: Epilogue
    Show
    Dr Steinz barges into General Wilson's office, incensed. "That woman is THE MOST unprofessional, treacherous mercenary I've ever met. I REFUSE to be placed under her inept supervision."

General Wilson looks up from his papers at the unhappy doctor and stands to face him. "You will go where I assign you until the project is officially over. I don't want to hear anymore about-"

"You will reassign me to a professional for the remainder of my term. You don't want to waste talents such as mine on a B-list hit-crew." Steinz says calmly and forcefully.

General Wilson stares at the doctor for a moment and tells him to sit down. Dr Steinz starts to repeat his 'request' and Wilson barks. "SIT DOWN!"

A vacant look goes over Dr Steinz' face and he flops to the ground without really knowing why. He looks around himself in confusion.

Wilson's face cracks in a predatory grin. "You will learn some respect Steinz. Although I do agree...you seem to be wasted as a prototype. Luckily for you, an opening has just appeared and I think you're the perfect man to fill it."

As Wilson helps Dr Steinz to his feet he says "Report first thing in the morning and I'll introduce you to your new partner. A fella named Stockton. I think you'll like him."

My Campaign Journals