New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Trog's Tavern CCXLVII

Livia kneels briefly to offer Spade a hand up, where he could ride on her shoulder, if he liked. She hoped he wouldn't take offense and see it as practical. She had longer legs and would move faster. Whether he accepts or refuses, she quickly follows the man outside.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

The mug of hot chocolate the flinching kitsune flung shall not shatter upon the ground as it may have otherwise. The mug itself is caught in deft, gloved hand as it sails past a woman cloaked from head to toe in flowing black robes. Regrettably, the chocolatey goodness it once contained may splash and spill upon the floor, but the mug itself has been saved that it might be used again.

The robed woman attempts to stroll up to the kitsune and politely return the mug to her.

"I think you may have dropped this, child."

The kitsune might notice that this robed woman appears to be a kitsune just like her. A nine-tailed kitsune no less.

"You should ask for a refill. It's too far too cold outside to travel anywhere without drinking a piping hot beverage to warm you up first. If you haven't the coin for it, I'll pay for it if you'd be willing to chat with me for awhile. It has been far too long since I've had the pleasure of speaking with one of my own kind."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Spade doesn't mind at all being carried. It's only a natural response given his size.
    And well, if he tries to slip one of his holy symbols into her pocket when she's not looking well, that would be purely coincidence, wouldn't it?
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

A changeling shaped patch of air is suddenly filled with a changeling!

The weird, black, armored reptile/insect/deer thing staggers slightly when she suddenly transitions into the tavern, raising one leg to brush a lock of candy-red mane out of her eyes and taking a quick visual survey of the state of the tavern.

Aside from the creature webbed to one of the walls it looks like things haven't changed to much.

A scowl briefly cross her face when she spots the blackened remains of her phone still sitting at her table.

With a sigh she lights her horn and causes a wave of livid green faerie fire to wash over her body, once more disguising her as an utterly normal looking human female.

"Security program," she calls aloud. It might look like she's talking to no one. "Please contact Emissary N'alae and inform her that I've been returned unharmed. All of my communications equipment has been destroyed."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

The hologram's blank expression does not change, so the pause looks a little...off. "...I will do that, although I am having difficulty processing the offenders' logic. Murder attempt...kidnapping...sudden return of kidnapping victim? Perhaps I should just be more aggressive in security enforcement so that this does not happen again." Oh dear.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

6. - Top - End - #66

Allomyrina gives a short sight through her nose before shaking her head. "I doubt logic had much to do with it."

She drops back into her chair and picks up the remains of her phone. With a scowl she tosses it into a nearby waste bin.

Wonderful.

Now she'll have to go pick up a new one.

At least she had the sense to buy the insurance plan to go with it. Insurance plans for expensive technology are pretty popular around the Nexus.

Wonder why?

"This place seems to have a terrible habit of attracting the mentally unstable..."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Alexandrian View Post
    The mug of hot chocolate the flinching kitsune flung shall not shatter upon the ground as it may have otherwise. The mug itself is caught in deft, gloved hand as it sails past a woman cloaked from head to toe in flowing black robes. Regrettably, the chocolatey goodness it once contained may splash and spill upon the floor, but the mug itself has been saved that it might be used again.

The robed woman attempts to stroll up to the kitsune and politely return the mug to her.

"I think you may have dropped this, child."

The kitsune might notice that this robed woman appears to be a kitsune just like her. A nine-tailed kitsune no less.

"You should ask for a refill. It's too far too cold outside to travel anywhere without drinking a piping hot beverage to warm you up first. If you haven't the coin for it, I'll pay for it if you'd be willing to chat with me for awhile. It has been far too long since I've had the pleasure of speaking with one of my own kind."
    The kitsune lowers her guard and slowly takes the mug.

"T-T-Thanks!"
    she sais. Then she hands it over to a waitress and points at a near table. She is obviously a bit intimidated.

"We could go there if you want, I got some coins but nothing that will need my attention for a while."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Intimidated? By the mysterious kitsune who looks like the spitting image of a cultist/evil wizard wearing assassin gloves who caught a flying mug in midair without even so much as batting an eyelash?

A perfectly reasonable reaction. I'd be intimidated as well were I in her shoes.

"Sure. That spot is as nice as any other."

The friendly robed woman replies as she moves toward the table.

"So, where are you from?"

9. - Top - End - #69

It's more the nine tails that make her intimidated then everything else..

"I'm from here. The Nexus, if your new here."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

10. - Top - End - #70

WolfInSheepsClothing

Two surely looking space marines enter the tavern and approach the counter, massive gun riffles slung over their shoulders. They take off their helmets and a swarm of rats burst from the suits, flowing out onto the bar in both directions. The suits deflate and crumple as their occupants form an orderly party along the bar top, ordering three-hundred shots of whiskey sour.

That was interesting, wasn't it?

On the other end of the tavern is a young woman, dressed in worn but well maintained leather gear, nursing a dark drink and looking very much like somebody Looking For Group. A ferret darts about her feet, sniffing at passers by inquisitively. From time to time, the woman pulls a shiny gold coin from her pocket and spins it on the table.
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

11. - Top - End - #71

At some point Allomyrina realized that she was going to need her ruined phone in order to prove that it is, in fact, ruined. With a huff she fishes it out of the waste bin and stuffs the useless pieces of scrap in her pocket.

And then?

Then the rat swarms arrive.

That warrants an eyebrow quirk, to be sure.

She's about to make a vague comment regarding them when suddenly-!

It's strange. Not quite a compulsion in the proper sense. Just the odd feeling that she should talk to that woman with coin. Clearly Allomyrina has no grasp of PC dynamics.

"Good evening."

A beat. Allo glances toward a nearby window.

"...or maybe not. It's been more difficult than normal to divine what time of day it is, lately."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Arty, a young, brown-haired centaur of proportionally eighteen years of age trots by the girl's table and stops.
    "Drinking alone, Miss? That's no fun." he says with a friendly grin.

13. - Top - End - #73

WolfInSheepsClothing

The woman looks Allo up and down approvingly.

Evening.

She says and the light outside the window shudders and falls dark as the time of day's waveform collapses. Deals like these are best made at night, after all.

She looks at the centaur and seems to be considering whether to respond. The ferret on the floor scurries between his legs, running a figure eight before returning to the woman and scampering up her leg. She scritches the ferret idly and seems to make up her mind.

Not alone at all. I seem to have found some... company. Join me.

She flags down a passing barmaid.

Order what you like. I have a proposition. But first, your specialties?

She looks from the centaur to the woman, inviting them both to speak.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Arty smiles at the little creature. When it's done, he "sits" down to be closer to eye-level and orders some water and a very large salad. Centaurs are notoriously rowdy drunks, and while there's no chance Arty's half-ton weight could get drunk off of one mug he doesn't risk it. That half-ton also demands he spend a lot of his time eating, though, so he has to make due.
    "Um, I'm a doctor. Mostly medicinal, with a little magic. Just a bit." he says, nervously fidgeting at his shirt's only button.

15. - Top - End - #75

Free food?

Free food is the best kind of food!

After a bit of consideration Allomyrina decides on a vegetarian burger. Maybe as well give it a try, right? See if they're as good as the ones back home.

"I work in infiltration, primarily. Infiltration, subterfuge, sabotage, the collection of information and objects that one might not otherwise wish to go missing..."

So...

She's a skill-monkey.

Totally a skill-monkey.

16. - Top - End - #76

WolfInSheepsClothing

The woman considers for a moment, then smiles.

A doctor and a thief. Yes, that should do nicely. I have a job that needs doing. Discretely. Normally I would do it on my own, but there have been... unavoidable obstacles that prevent me from proceeding further without assistance. Payment will be an acceptable sum for the job, plus some should we happen to find anything valuable during the job.

She pulls a coin purse from her belt and set it on the table. It clinks nicely and hints at a hefty sum of coins within.

Payment after the job is finished. I'll answer any questions that I can now, and if you are both satisfied, we will leave after we eat.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Arty receives his food, listens to the lady, and then swallows the large mouthful of vegetables he'd been eating. He tries to be polite to folks, but for whatever reason his whole species just has lousy table manners.
    "How discretely are we talking? I don't have any training in things that aren't fixing people up, sciences, and shooting a bow. And while I'm sure you're aware, I'm not a small fellow." he says, patting his flank as if to make this obvious.

18. - Top - End - #78

Allomyrina hasn't touched her food yet, though she does offer small smile.

"I'm afraid I'm not in the business of accepting proposals before I know what they are."

Well.

That's just common sense, right?

You wouldn't want to agree to do something that's potentially suicidal.

Or, like, crawl down into one of those horrible crypts that's full of snakes for some reason.

No one likes crawling through snake-crypts. Or at least no one worth mentioning.

19. - Top - End - #79

WolfInSheepsClothing

The woman nods to both of them. Valid concerns.

Of course. Something of mine was taken from me and is being kept at a facility outside of town. The facility has security, but it is largely nonlethal. There are also guards. The facility is largely medical in nature. Specifically, medical research.

She pulls out a rolled piece of paper and lays it out on the table. It reads "Mirrdyne" across the top in block lettering with a lot of jargon beneath that amounts to "There is a lot of weird stuff in the nexus, let us dissect and weaponize it for you!"

They hire out of the nexus but are mostly staffed by humans. A non-human with the proper knowledge could easily gain access, banking on security not being able to tell one non-human from the next.

She looks meaningfully at Arty.

I have the proper falsified IDs ready to go. Once inside, it should be easy for you create a gap in the security for the rest of us. After that, I will likely need somebody... sturdy, to remove the objective from the building.

She looks to Allo.

Once inside, however, I will need access to higher security areas. The technology they employ is beyond my ability to manipulate, unfortunately. I made it within the building once before, but was unable to proceed far enough on my own expertise. Since then, they have modified their defenses to prevent another incursion by my original method. Should things go according to plan, there will be very little risk of any combat encounters. In such an event, I am capable of handling a fight if you are unable to.

The ferret scurries up her arm as she speaks, looking back and forth between Allo and Arty before scampering on the back of her chair and down onto the floor again.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Arty quirks an eyebrow.
    "Not being able to tell? Are you honestly making the assumption that a human corporation wouldn't be able to tell the difference between say, an elf, and a human with most of a horse replacing his legs?"

21. - Top - End - #81

WolfInSheepsClothing

No, I'm saying they won't be able to tell you from a certain Doctor Krowstick who, should you agree to sign on, won't be making his shift later this evening.

She pulls out an ID card of a centaur with similar hair patterns and colouration to Arty. At a glance they look similar enough.

During my first attempt to break in, I saw a guard mistake two minotaurs for the same satyr. As near as I can tell, the company operates on xenophobic propaganda to sell its business and hires like minded individuals, turning to non-humans only when necessary. Unpleasant, but it will serve to get you inside, should you decide to join up.

22. - Top - End - #82

This would be one of those times when Allo would use her phone to look up information on this business. Unfortunately a crazy warlock of some kind fried her phone not too long ago.

Thankfully it was ensured.

"I should be able to move unseen if I need to," Allomyrina says. "Or I could impersonate one of the personnel. Preferably someone who would normally be overlooked. The less scrutiny the better."

She's very good at impersonations!

Not so good at being psychically aware of personal information, though.

"What, precisely, needs to be retrieved?"

Considering the 'dissect' part of the business card, she's guessing it's something alive.

23. - Top - End - #83

WolfInSheepsClothing

She looks to Allo, her face suddenly intense in a way it wasn't before.

My child.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

His coloration, by the way, is brown; his lower body is the same color as the hair on his human half.
    "Well, at least those are both furry bipeds with hooves and horns. The muzzles really should make it obvious, though. Idiots. Do you always carry magic ID's on you?" he asks. I mean, unless she just had a whole bunch of these of any possible species.
    And then that bomb is dropped. Oh, my.

25. - Top - End - #85

WolfInSheepsClothing

I planned ahead.

She says, turning back to Arty. She pulls out several more ID cards belonging to various members of Mirrdyne.

Made copies during my first incursion.

She was apparently rather busy during her last break in.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Arty smiles again before his expression darkens.
    "Alright, but if that's true, what's this about someone sturdy?Do you expect this child of yours to be contained in something, or are they simply that large? Because if it's to save a life I'll do it, but I'm not a pack animal nor am I suited for acting like one for a while."
    Arty's more of a runner than he is a carrier.

27. - Top - End - #87

"I see..."

Well.

That certainly makes things a bit more personal, doesn't it? Allomyrina makes a mental note to gather as much information and evidence as she can on this little field trip. She has the uncanny feeling that the law enforcement of the Nexus might be paying this corporation a little visit when all is said and done.

She begins looking through the ID cards, getting a feel for the face of each. Hopefully the type of clearance and other useful information is included as well. Once she finds one to her liking she picks it up to examine it more closely.

"Is this operation time sensitive?"

Or in other words, are you expecting your child to undergo vivisection in the near future.

28. - Top - End - #88

WolfInSheepsClothing

She is only a child, but I do not know what condition she will be in, and I might... not be in the proper condition to carry her if need be. It is possible that she might prove... difficult to move as well.

She looks back to Allo.

I hope to begin at the soonest possible convenience.

Allo finds a card bearing a human face. They look old and grey and crotchety. Their clearance seems to be top level but most of the information on the card is in jumbles of numbers and bar codes. The card likely serves as a door key as well, judging from the look of it.
    Last edited by Jacklu; 2014-01-06 at 12:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Arty's frown deepens.
    "Please, can you give me any idea what kind of condition? I'll come, saving people is my job, but if I'm expecting carrying a VIP who's shooting lasers at me I'll have to bring my heatproof pants."
    You know. It's funny. Because he can't wear pants.

30. - Top - End - #90

Allomyrina closes her eyes and takes a deep breath before exhaling slowly. Matching a voice from a picture alone is difficult to say the least. But sufficient glamor should be able to deflect any notice. If there's anything Allomyrina excels at it's making sure she won't be noticed when she doesn't want the attention.

"I'll do what I can to help you get your child back. And should this company be as despicable as its business card suggests it is I'll do what I can to make sure this happens to no one else."

She's honestly having trouble imagining how the place is still around.

Must be ferreted away somewhere Outside where Remnant won't do anything.

Thankfully the Irregulars have no such compunctions.