New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Trog's Tavern CCXLVII

Spako looks up at Garrett and sighs. He'll be pulling cards from the top of the deck and placing them face-up on the table the whole time, never once looking at them. (The Deck's images are easy to find and download but sadly Google Images only has a handful of the 54, so I can't post pictures. It might make more sense, but the names should be self-explanatory most of the time).
    "I was born in a clan of desert kobolds a Champion, the rare occurrence where a wyrmling is born winged and with more apparent dragon heritage than usual. This is considered a good omen." The Midwife. "I was pampered and lorded, taught that I'd be a great hero, blah blah blah. I got sick of it. I aged slower than them, and after a while I just got sick of hearing how I'd wreck the gnomes' faces. So I left." The Rabbit Prince.

"I wandered for a while. Human and elven mercs taught me swordplay and some magic, which I've practiced since. I was rarely welcomed for my species, but I didn't mind as long as someone was around to vouch for me so I could get a room to stay at." The Wanderer, then The Publican. "I was stolen from my home one night. I think there was a raid, but I'll never know who made it out. I got stuck on a slave ship and sold as a gladiator to be food for Umbral Hulks. I lasted longer than they would think, and a buncha space orks broke us all out with some elves as backup. And they hate each other, so those Freaks had some pretty terrible PR to get that to happen." The Tyrant, then The Big Sky.

"A few of us made a little group. Nabbed ourselves a Spelljamming Helm and went to get us some salvage in an old battlefield to buy a ship for it. It didn't go so well. Something was wrong with the place. The battle played over and over for those that got near, and the dead elves played the defenders even if we weren't orks. I got speared through the chest protecting the psion." The Eclipse, The Beating. "I got saved. I can't tell you how." The Paladin. Spako snorts, and it changes to The Foreign Trader. "You're not so mysterious as that, Sir, but close enough. He's the one who gave me this Deck. Without telling me it was magic." The Joke.

"Anyway, I got back outside of my body. I tried to help my friends but it didn't go well, and some ghost nabbed my body. Found it later, but he somehow was occupying it. Managed to lock me up for a while. Then went and beat up my friends. Sliced the Professor's leg clean off with my own sword." he chokes out. The Twin, The Betrayal. "I got him for that, own body be damned. Got him out, settled myself in again. Went to fight the Captain who'd kept the madness alive." The Empty Throne. "Would've beaten him, but he stole the Deck from me. I hadn't thought to protect it since I didn't know it was powerful. He used it to rewrite the battle in his favor, and history. Pothoc Elves." The Avalanche. "He got his though. All those cards he Drew, he was bound to get something. And the Deck doesn't like being cheated." The Snakebite, which after a moment changes to The Waxworks.

"We met up again, all mostly alive. Used the unfinished ship in the hanger to make our escape. After that some people left...or just went missing." The Lost. "But I got more people. You wouldn't think they'd be good people, but I saved them from death and they'd been brainwashed a little, so despite being half undead, demons, or otherwise nasty-looking, I had a decent crew. Plus, the professor got a new leg, a badass mithril one with a griffin's claw foot." The Teamster, the Forge.

"But then I was here, without any of that. None of my friends, none of my crew, not my ship, not my eldritch horror of a dog." The Desert. "I've been living, but it's hard. Helped out some gnomes, turned out to be evil cultists. Explore a dungeon, get stuck saving prisoners from horrible experiments. List goes on. And what does that leave me?" The Idiot. Spako groans. "C'mon, Sir!" It changes to The Brass Dwarf. "Huh. Never thought of it that way. Guess it works. So. That's the story. Long enough for ya?"
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

"It is a good tale. The Nexus is an odd place, where stories join howe'er briefly. It seems you've done a fair deal of good despite the hand dealt to you," Garrett pulls out a handful of his polished and enlaid/engraved river pebbles and shakes them, "But what do you seek now? What drives you? Honour, revenge, seekin' what be lost? Perhaps you and I are kindr'd in our tranquils, pulled in diff'r'nt directions by the mixed blood of a half-breed, and compelled to follow either?"
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Spako shrugs.
    "I want to live, that's all. If I can get back what I've lost, I will jump on it, but false hope will only tear me down. "
    He collects all the cards and sweeps them back into the Deck, then sets it on the table.
    "And if you seek something and need some help, I am the keeper of Sir's Deck, but it's not restricted to me. If you feel lucky, say a number and pull that many. It grants boons and punishments. Of course, it's pretty powerful stuff. I can suppress its power so none of the effects are that permanent. The potential risk is proportional to the potential gain."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

"Survival is an instinct, not a goal, surely you are not as nulled as you say," Garrett keeps shaking his pebbles, "All life is equal in threat and promise. Read you yours if you read me mine?"

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Spako looks at him, an ear quirked.
    "I'd been given a goal, but I've lost it with my homeworld. This place has achieved it for me. I'll find a new one.
    You want it full blast? Well, okay...sounds good to me."
    he says, a bit worried for the fellow.
    (And for the record, I do this randomly, but if you'd prefer a specific kind of result let me know)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

(Random's good.)
    "So a goal's your goal?" Garrett chuckles, "Very well. Lemme have it, universe doesn't hold back, why should you?"

(Recaiden) He lives!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Spako chuckles.
    "I guess so. Just say a number and draw that many. I'd keep it low, though."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Garrett thinks for a moment, his shaking hand slowing down briefly.
    "Four is lucky, but also death. Good comes in threes, but so do the greater evils. Seven is safest of fortune's chosen. Seven."

(Recaiden) He lives!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Spako's jaw drops a little. That's low? Still, the Deck can't be stopped once activated.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Bear- Garrett becomes a werebear. It's up to you what triggers his Change. Usually those affected become more focused on brute strength to solve problems, but it's also up to you to decide how much this affects him in all forms, although it's likely worse when the ursine form is taken.
    The Crows- A small, respawning crow appears near Garrett, and will harass him constantly until it gets bored of doing so in a few days.
    The Beating- When in a fight, Garrett will find himself less capable of defending himself than usual, as blows seem to be attracted to him. If he rarely gets into fights, he'll find small objects coming at him like children's balls, debris from bar brawls, tumblweeds, etc, hit him more often than they miss.
    The Courtesan- the crow becomes sentient and talking but is bound to Garrett. As such he is less pernicious than the previous description, but is still an annoying loudmouth. He can be persuaded to help, though. Feel free to NPC him.
    The Trumpet- The crow can be commanded to Aid once every few days. When done, it turns snow white, is completely loyal, and gains the powers of a minor celestial (supernatural speed, strength and endurance for its size, some divine magic, etc).
    (Normally you just summon a minor celestial. It's effectively the same exact power, but with flavor matching previous cards.)
    The Owl- Garrett can scry any one person or place, once.
    The Tangled Briar- Garrett's presence for extended periods of time causes plants to either cease growing and wither or grow thorns and nettles.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

(That's some cool stuff. Does it all happen right now or over the next few days?)

(Recaiden) He lives!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

((It all happens immediately upon drawing. If whatever Garrett's Trigger is happens to be around, he'll transform immediately. I can also pick one if you're having trouble. If you'd like to see all the effects, I just put them up in the Directory)
    "So...you...feel alright?"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

(Pick it yourself I'd choose something stupid :p)
    "Yeah, just a bit itchy, really," Garrett looks at the crow on his shoulder as if it wre nothing strange to so suddenly appear, [COLOR="dark green"]"Heh. Say 'nevermore'."[/COLOR]

"Suck a fat one," quoth the not-raven.

(Recaiden) He lives!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

((How about...the taste of honey ?
    In the Pathfinder world the Deck is based on, werebears are pretty much harmless as they force Good alignments on people instead of Evil like wolves, so feel free to make the Lycanthropy not a big deal besides the forced physical change. You can also decide if he can change willingly and talk while transformed. For the record he definitely knows what the Trumpet lets him do.))
    "Uh, ok, if you say so. You got a couple of bad cards in there. Plus The Bear, which the deck seems to love recently. You sure you feel ok? Don't feel the desire to catch salmon or look for bee-hives and picnic baskets?"

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

(What about the owl?)
    "Life deals all sorts of cards, Boo-Bo- er...huh...anyways. Yeah. All sorts of cards. Nae biggie."

Life dealt you a steaming pile of crap!

(Recaiden) He lives!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

((yeah, that one too.))
    That's weird. The Bear has usually a pretty obvious effect. Like, at the very least it usually makes folks bigger and hairier. Or maybe that happens later to some folks? He knows there was that one guy who just flat-out turned into a bear on the spot. Oh, well. Maybe it just made him really into camping and/or breaking things. He doesn't seem bothered at all. The Owl, The Beating and Tangled Briar don't usually have tangible effects, and the rest seem to be in the bird.
    Or, at least that's what Spako's thinking.
    "So, how about I get you a drink? Water? Ale? Wine? Mead?" he asks in a friendly manner. Geez, dodging bullets like that deserves a little celebration.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm afraid I'm lacking in the mone'ary department. Besides," Garrett grins, "I get to tell your fortune now."

(Recaiden) He lives!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, come on. Let me buy you one drink. We're friends. And uh, sure, okay." Spako says, still mostly cheery.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

"Friends," Garrett's grin grows that much wider, Alright then."

He casts the stones while the crow raspberries in his ear. A variety of different engravings and metallic enlays pop up.

An oddly alluring forest, which always pops up when Garrett rolls.
    A lantern made of silver that seems to glow.
    A dull but beautiful brass key.
    A raging fire inches away from an unburnt hand.
    A crying babe in torn swaddling cloth.
    And two hearts in a velvet lined box alongside a knife.

"I always get the strangest readings here..."

(Recaiden) He lives!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Spako waves over a waitress and orders himself a drink, giving Garrett the chance to order something.
    "Well, I can't say that I understand any of that." he says, puzzled.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

"Water, please," Garrett says without looking away from the pebbles.

"The forest is just something that always pops up for me, don't worry about it. The lantern represents an inner light and something sought. The key represents something found, and when combined with the lantern is the sign of the angel Uriel. You are lighting your own path and unlocking your own doors, this is good. The next is the fire within, it must be controlled, but if used right, is a boon to you. The babe represents the past, make of it what you will, and the hearts are love with a hidden danger."

(Recaiden) He lives!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Spako chuckles. Yeah, there was a succubus on his crew, that sounds about right. She was a nice girl. Never did hit on him, which was rather paradoxical since she had used the shape of a smoking hot lady-kobold for as long as he had known her.
    "Sounds good. I'll keep that in mind. And say hi to Uriel if she stops by. And I don't even think they charge for water here. You're boring." Spako says mockingly.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

"Uriel is male and I'm a recovered alcoholic," Garrett says tersely.

(Recaiden) He lives!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Spako's ears prick.
    "Seriously? I always see the name attached to women in media. Must be the whole 'angels are technically genderless' thing. Ah, well.And you could have just said you only take soft drinks. Do the readings normally become apparent for people or do they usually stay mysterious?"
    Spako says, suddenly radiating terror that he's already insulted him and trying to steer the conversation away.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

If Garrett isn't literally on fire, you're doing good. He's half human and half elemental god of war, fire, and martial hobour and his brain's been shattered several times. He's trying to reel himself in after some bad decisions left him crippled as he is, but he's still got a temper.
    "The readings are very precise. I am not. Im still learning the art. Take the stones, they're lucky for the one they're cast for."

(Recaiden) He lives!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, my. Good thing we didn't make anger his bear-trigger; then he'd be a large bear/bear-man on fire, and that's terrible.
    Spako reaches out for them, then stops.
    "You sure? Won't you run out of them, then?"

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

"I make them as a meditative exercise,' Garrett shrugs.

(Recaiden) He lives!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, okay then."
    Spako will also order one of those little appetizer baskets of rolls. Because he's hungry and he's going to get something for this guy if it kills him, and small bits of bread are hard to resist. But mostly because he's hungry. I wonder what Trog's puts in and on their bread baskets. Butter seems too easy.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

And Garrett will greatly appreciate the food. It's hard for an eighteen year old cripple with emotional and mental issues and stunted magick and a very limited skill set and hard to break 'violent hero' mentality to get a job.

"Still haven't told me your name, by the way."

"Like he'd want to, you impertinent twit!"

(Recaiden) He lives!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, hopefully the sudden addition of slight curses and bear-brains don't make that any worse. Let's also hope nobody put honey in those rolls. Spako would feel bad. And he wasn't kidding, the last two people to Draw got bear-ified, too. Of course, using a suppressed Wish just "to stop being cold" is just /asking/ to get turned into something big and fuzzy.

"Oh, Apsu, sorry about that. My name's Spako. Spako Highclaws. It sounds cooler in Draconic." he says, standing up in his seat so he can hold a hand across the table to shake.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Its funny cause Garrett was almost a werewolf once. Long story.

Garrett shakes the scaled claw heartily, "Garrett Everett, once a knight errant of the Order of The Lantern and a proud son, now...eh, not sure what I am to be honest, other than a heated wreck."

(Recaiden) He lives!