New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPR2] Renewed Revolution OOCV

KD, keep in mind that at this point all they're talking is strictly theory. There are no observed methods or effects on so much as "prototype" cleansing arrows.

Incidentally, said techniques can also evolve over time. The Quincy have already shown an example of technique evolution in canon, after all.

If I happened to have a character in on this, which I don't, the first thing I'd be asking is "what do Zanpakutou do differently". There's mention of how a method of creation for Quincy purifying arrows would be akin to fighting an infection by getting rid of the dead tissue, and to me it sounds like Zanpakutou actually heal said dead tissue. So: considering that Quincy power is about manipulation of spirit particles to begin with, why can't they look into making their arrows act like "antidote" to the Hollowification "poison" - or a virus to fight another virus, if you'd prefer a different analogy?
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

The canon analogy to quincy powers would be more akin to the interactions of A type blood and B type blood. Whichever gets the other transfused into them is hosed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd use positive and negative numbers as an example, but they were already taken...

Maybe matter and anti-matter as an example? If you mix Quincy with Hollow, all you get is energy with no shape or form.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    The canon analogy to quincy powers would be more akin to the interactions of A type blood and B type blood. Whichever gets the other transfused into them is hosed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    I'd use positive and negative numbers as an example, but they were already taken...

Maybe matter and anti-matter as an example? If you mix Quincy with Hollow, all you get is energy with no shape or form.
    In that context, the solution is to switch to the same "blood type" or "matter type".

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Still matter, not energy. The 'Soul' simply undergoes apoptosis.

Which in retrospect somewhat explains why canon souls that undergo soul suicide leave behind a pool of shapeless protoplasmic goo. Souls are single cells.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Well that'd be one for the books, certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Still matter, not energy. The 'Soul' simply undergoes apoptosis.

Which in retrospect somewhat explains why canon souls that undergo soul suicide leave behind a pool of shapeless protoplasmic goo. Souls are single cells.
    If all cells in a body undergo apoptosis or advanced protein degeneration, it doesn't matter how many cells there were, there's going to be just goo.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2014-02-07 at 10:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Well that'd be one for the books, certainly.

If all cells in a body undergo apoptosis or advanced protein degeneration, it doesn't matter how many cells there were, there's going to be just goo.
    It is more that I liked the imagery of the soul being a single massive single cell organism. But very well. I do tend to try to slap game-canon status into my random musings if given the chance.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Me, I'm fond of the idea that Reishi is actually dark matter, and reiatsu is dark energy.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Little focus, guys?

I hear nothing of that "virus to fight a virus" idea.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Little focus, guys?

I hear nothing of that "virus to fight a virus" idea.
    "I lay claim to all viral endeavours."

"Oh the wonderful things I have to show you."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Well, if you stop to think about it, Hollowification is a bit like decomposition. It just takes place in a much larger scale, at a faster rate, and with a faster end result.

If we think of Hollowification as basically one huge bacterial infection, wherein the Hollow "tissue" is really nothing more than Plus tissue that's been altered, the logical course for anything to purify it would be to change the tissue back. So instead of cutting the infected tissue away, you drain it, kill the bacteria and let cellular division take its course.

Basically, a Quincy purification arrow would be nothing more than one huge spiritual antibiotic.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Li is kinda already doing that, just on another front entirely. Though what Michael Harada's doing is perhaps more nanobots than viruses. On the other hand, Li still has both Li's Izanami-in-a-bottle and Geister's original white goop in cold storage.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, if you stop to think about it, Hollowification is a bit like decomposition. It just takes place in a much larger scale, at a faster rate, and with a faster end result.

If we think of Hollowification as basically one huge bacterial infection, wherein the Hollow "tissue" is really nothing more than Plus tissue that's been altered, the logical course for anything to purify it would be to change the tissue back. So instead of cutting the infected tissue away, you drain it, kill the bacteria and let cellular division take its course.

Basically, a Quincy purification arrow would be nothing more than one huge spiritual antibiotic.
    Well, what makes it distinct from Shinigami purification, in that case?

If we end up taking that tack, maybe there's a delay or something before the soul enters Soul Society?

Or would we be fine with the Quincy basically ending up with what amounts to Shinigami purification just with slightly different mumbo-jumbo attached to it?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

In unrelated (to what we're discussing here, but related to what's going on IC), I've been toying with the idea of regaining control over Miya's Mother and making her to be a straight-up villain for the RP, to add more combat to there. Of course, I need ideas about what I can have her do without slowing down the RP with more mass-combats, but I think it's a good idea.

For those of you who haven't been following the occasional hidden hints about her, this is what she (Tsukamoto Hikari) is:
    Quite a while ago, she became a Substitute Shinigami. Thanks to <story that Hasunaga just told in the Mortal World>, she became infected with something pretty much identical to La Plaga Blanca (in fact, I think I decided that it was La Plaga Blanca, for the sake of not introducing too many lookalike diseases). Thanks to the lost plot of Hades, she now looks completely humanlike again, but she makes for the perfect villain.

So, be warned: that's what I'm planning on doing.

Now, related to the conversation on hand: My Quincy character probably doesn't actually care what kind of arrows he uses, so long as it gets the job done: meaning stop the Evil Spirit from being able to attack people. I'm sure there's many Quincies across the world that hold a similar opinion.

I, as a player, think the Quincy purification should be sufficiently different than the Shinigami purification to warrant its existence. What the difference is, I don't care. If it's exactly the same, then we might as well say "Let's just give all the Quincies Shinigami powers." That's not something I want. Also, I don't think it should be strictly superior to the regular Destroying Arrow. There has to be some weakness or flaw to it - whether it's weaker, slower, more exhausting, more likely to backfire, or whatnot, I think the Purifying Arrow can't just be a "Destroying Arrow but Better."
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2014-02-08 at 12:33 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

On Quincy purification: My quincy character(s) don't particularly care. They're ruthless assassins.

So yeah, I don't really have a strong opinion.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

Working on a write-up for the idea for "Purification Arrows" that has been getting discussed in the Spirit World thread. So that I can avoid making any critical mistakes, what is the general consensus on what happens to a soul after being purified by a Shinigami Zanpakuto? It passes on to the afterlife, but what condition is it in when it gets there, etc.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Working on a write-up for the idea for "Purification Arrows" that has been getting discussed in the Spirit World thread. So that I can avoid making any critical mistakes, what is the general consensus on what happens to a soul after being purified by a Shinigami Zanpakuto? It passes on to the afterlife, but what condition is it in when it gets there, etc.
    Well, we know from canon that a Hollow struck down by a Zanpakuto is a.) no longer a Hollow, but becomes a Plus, b.) cleansed of any responsibility (and presumably guilt and likely memories) of their time as a Hollow, and c.) sent to Soul Society. These are facts.

I would say that a Hollow purified by a Shinigami's blade a.) has at least a 50% chance of remembering pre-Hollow life (while those sent by Konso likely have between 75 and 100% chance), and b.) depending on the soul's strength as a Hollow, may well end up a Shinigami of some level of power or another.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

One possible difference would be for the arrows to be unable to send people to Hell.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

Hell opens its gates by itself. I can't remember an instance where either a Zanpakutou or a Quincy sent a soul to Hell. (But then again I'm only up to the start of the Wadenreich arc.)

I think the simplest solution for the Purifying Arrow dilemma is to make it more exhausting to use. It is, after all, more complex to develop.

EDIT: I also wholeheartedly approve of the idea of MV making Miya's mom a villain.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2014-02-08 at 08:01 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Hell's gates opened that one time and then never again really.

The only other mention of it was the movie about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hell opens its gates by itself. I can't remember an instance where either a Zanpakutou or a Quincy sent a soul to Hell. (But then again I'm only up to the start of the Wadenreich arc.)

I think the simplest solution for the Purifying Arrow dilemma is to make it more exhausting to use. It is, after all, more complex to develop.

EDIT: I also wholeheartedly approve of the idea of MV making Miya's mom a villain.
    The only time we've seen a hell gate it was opened by Ichigo purifying a hollow.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kuroimaken, I'm waiting for you in the mortal world.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Eeep, sorry. Completely slipped my mind.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

I've got a character concept brewing in the back of my mind.

A Hunter of Rogue Shinigami. He runs on hot blood and manliness, and has an ice Zanpakutou.

Thoughts?

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This is the inside of Thomas's head right now:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, FYI, won't be around much again until fairly late tonight, most likely.

Draken, if need be you can godmod Thomas a bit to keep things moving. We can just assume Isabelle does what she's told by the King or Queen. (No berry, the Princess won't get to order her around yet. Also, I'll try to poke Edge a bit, I know life is probably busy for him but if nothing else we may need to know what to change Isabelle into.)

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Ryouma Tatsuya, "Kizu no Tatsuya", "Kizu no Ryouma" or "RUN AWAY IT'S THAT GUY"

Height: 2,65m
    Weight: 180 kg
    Side: Seireitei. Sorta.

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show

Ryouma Tatsuya is a hulk of a man, easily dwarfing most people in Soul Society. He is barely classifiable as "human" in this regard, in some ways resembling the giant guardians of Seireitei's gates much more than the average Plus.

His garment is likewise unusual in that it seems to sport a number of elements that reflect his size.

For starters, his feet sport a pair of metal geta, which is actually somewhat understandable since the wooden variety might not be able to support his weight. A dirty white, ragged-edged hakama covers his legs, with a black chain holding it up against his waist. It likewise holds a black and red haori closed at that height, though only loosely so, as it was clearly made for someone much larger (hard to imagine as that may be). Dense, scarred muscles can be made out from under the garment. His arms are bare save for a pair of black, steel bracers.

His wild, moss green hair is unkempt and flows to mid-back. His eyes are a startling jade, though they seem much darker in most instances, set under a pair of thick eyebrows. A manic slasher grin is almost permanently plastered on his face.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tatsuya is easy to describe but hard to define. The man clearly has 'Blood Knight' written all over his record - he likes to fight, plain and simple. He lacks subtlety, tact and even the most common of social graces. But he also makes it a point to never pick a fight with anyone weaker than himself, and he doesn't kill those who have already surrendered (the possible exception being Hollows). He also tends to hold those he meets to the same admittedly simple standards, though his lack of warning usually results in someone drawing his anger more often than not without knowing so.

He also swears a lot and has more self-confidence than common sense.

Background:

Spoiler
    Show
    For the longest time, there's been a part of the woods that no one dared enter, and which the occasional rogue Shinigami or Hollow would try to hide in. They would be found in the outskirts of said part of the woods with horrible wounds. Sometimes "GO AWAY" would be written in sloppy letters with what is presumed to be their own blood. People had theorized there was a particularly powerful hermit living there (before the warning they thought it was a regular monster).

Until the monster paid the town a visit.

Tatsuya has since been known as a resident of the outskirts of Rukongai. What people don't know, and don't care TO know, is exactly where. Not only has the man always been rather intimidating, he has never really gotten along with people. Rumors abound of who his father and mother were. One of the most colorful theories state he's the offspring of a bear and an Arrancar. Whatever the case, he caught the attention of the Gotei due to his handling of rogue Shinigami near his particular neck of the woods. While his work was, in many ways, exemplary (after all, he was dealing with lawbreakers), his methods were less so, and a civillian doing Gotei's job simply rubbed certain people the wrong way.

One man was sent to try and bring Tatsuya in peacefully. Enlist him in the ranks of the Gotei. He carried an Asauchi with him as a peace offering.

Said man was found days later babbling incoherently about 'awakening the beast' and 'what have I done'.

That was twenty-five years ago. Tatsuya has not been heard from since, and neither have any intruders in that particular area.

Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tatsuya is monstrously strong. His upper strength limit is untested, but he has been theorized to rival the giant gate guardsman of Seireitei in sheer lifting capacity, as well as shatter steel barehanded. How he manages to actually restrain his strength enough to function in everyday life remains a mystery, but the few times he has been known to be restrained, the shackles themselves never survived the experience.

This sheer muscular density, allied with his precarious restraint on his own Reiatsu, also makes him very difficult to hurt. Mundane blades have been known to shatter against his skin like brittle clay, and even the spiritual blades of Zanpakutou have had difficulty so much as drawing blood from him. In some extreme cases, he has been known to break them with some effort.

Hakuda: In spite of lacking finesse to learn the finer points of soft-style martial arts, Tatsuya is very, very competent in the hard forms. A mixture of natural talent for said arts and practice has led him to develop a style that abuses his tough skin and powerful muscles to deliver damage with extreme prejudice. To a smaller degree, he is also capable of employing slashing and piercing techniques with his bare hands.

Zanjutsu: Tatsuya is... minimally competent with most forms of bladed weaponry. Since he tends to shatter most of them, he doesn't exactly hold the use of a weapon as his highest priority.

Kidou: He's never been taught Kidou, and thus cannot use even the most basic kinds.

Houhou: Tatsuya is a self-taught Shunpou user. He doesn't have very fine control, but can achieve fairly high speeds. His main use of Shunpou is getting in closer to deliver high-powered violence, or accelerating to give his strikes a bigger edge. Most times he will forego dodging any form of ranged assault in favor of bursting right through it and crashing into the enemy.

Reiatsu Control: Meager at best. Tatsuya has yet to learn to dissociate his anger and excitement from his release of Reiatsu. Thus, the more excited or angry he becomes, the more his Reiatsu pours from him. His Zanpakutou likewise makes a very poor seal for his power - because of the nature of the way he obtained it, it is not capable of completely holding itself back even in sealed form. Tatsuya's Reiatsu causes the temperature around him to drop proportionally to the amount of power he releases. The radius and intensity of said temperature drop increases as his release does, becoming colder and colder closest to him and decreasing in strength the further one is from the source. This has no effects on Tatsuya himself. Just like any Reiatsu release, it can be resisted - but a target that fails to resist adequately may find him or herself flash-frozen or trapped. A sufficiently strong release on Tatsuya's part may cause the illusion that time is 'slowing down' because of decreased activity in the area.

Zanpakutou:
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Toukou Myou-ou (Frozen Light God of Destruction)

Release Command: "Sesshou ni nare, Toukou Myou-ou!" (Become brutality, Frozen Light God of Destruction!)

Appearance: A tanto, worn behind his back.

Shikai:
    Spoiler
    Show

Appearance: The tanto disappears, and Tatsuya is enveloped in whirling gales of frost.

Abilities: As an elemental Zanpakutou, Toukou Myou-ou is capable of creating ice at will, as well as causing the temperature in a 10-foot radius around Tatsuya to drop drastically. Tatsuya typically employs this ability to increase his defensive and offensive power by encasing himself in a suit of frozen armor, or create weapons he can throw at his enemies with his formidable strength. Less typically, he can also use it to fire blasts of frozen air or create walls with this ability, or flash-freeze his enemies.

Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2014-02-09 at 03:58 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'll try to get a post for Thomas up later tonight after gaming.

Draken, would he emerge from the cocoon in his sealed, humanoid form? Or in his released state?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    I'll try to get a post for Thomas up later tonight after gaming.

Draken, would he emerge from the cocoon in his sealed, humanoid form? Or in his released state?
    Sealed, I think.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Any thoughts on hot-blooded cold man?

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Can't see much wrong with him.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing