New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: We're All Mad Here: Let's Play Rune Factory 3!

Great update. The reveals are fun, and... revealing about the characters.
    Beat Dragoon this time
    Last edited by Javan; 2014-12-10 at 06:57 AM.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clarke

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme
    "So that's what happened? No problem. I'll go talk to that human."
    Bah?!"
    I can use my massive traitor-to-everything powers for good sometimes.
    "Bah."
    I don't know why but this scene was really funny to me.
    What have I started? :)
    Enjoyed the reveals, you do a very good job setting the scene with your descriptions of Ramza's emotions. Though am curious if Gaius will attempt to give away his family next.

And yeah bonuses, thanks for the update.
    Thank you to starwoof for the awesome Astrid avatar.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
    I beat Javan and Dragoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Javan View Post
    Beat Dragoon this time
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    What have I started? :)
    A very good question Dragoon. I'm sure the answer is a very bad thing.
    Made the English version of Moemon Leaf Green. LP by Deme
    Part of the Super Robot Wars GC Translation Team Complete!
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
    A very good question Dragoon. I'm sure the answer is a very bad thing.
    :O not you too!
    What has been started?!?
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clarke

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

So, I started off by being sick, and then there were holidays.
    Speaking of which, has everyone been enjoying their holidays? Mine was pretty good, all-told.

Anyway, since I'm only now getting back around to my normal schedule, have a bonus update! This was done at about the tail end of the worst of my (still-lingering) sickness, so just before Christmas. I am feeling much better.

Bonus! Wooly Extravaganza!
    Spoiler
    Show

I've been sick as a dog, so now that I'm a little bit on the mend, let's have a... Bonus update!
    Specifically, we'll be looking at some villager reactions to Wooly Ramza.

I'm reloading an actual save file for this -- specifically, one all the way from Spring 6th.
    Spring 6th? Wow. I stopped actually saving regularly a while ago.

The good news is, from this vantage, no one knows the truth! So we can see everyone's (The characters who do know do not get special dialogue, they just use their regular dialogue for the day. Ramza is Ramza.)

This is being done in no particular order, let's try Carmen and Carlos, because they're the first ones out and about.

Carmen: Not the most interesting.

Carlos at least offers pets.

Not that Ramza isn't mortified by the idea.

Well's feelings are already pretty established.

Karina petting him is much better than Carlos, apparently. Ramza: Cutting out the middleman in the "bring a cute dog to attract girls" gambit.

I think we've seen this one. Woolies: Only about as formidable as ambulatory apples.

I'm not lost! I'm ambling about aimlessly because I want to!

Shara's reaction's nothing exciting, but Monica's nicer to Wooly!Ramza than Human!Ramza. Well, at this point, anyway. This is before her character development.

I don't wanna!

Don't make me into an accessory, Gaius!

I like that they take the time to translate this specific bah.
    Ramza is uniformly uncomfortable with the idea of being shaved.
    (...Is this the wooly festival I've loaded onto? There's festival confetti.)

Well, they don't work on half-woolies as well as they don't work on humans.

Ramza is also uniformly uncomfortable with the idea of being shot.

Aww, man... I didn't take her for thinking about things that way.

Reactions: It's Cute; Die, Monster, You Don't Belong in this World; USE BODY FOR CHARACTER'S MAIN ACTIVITY.

Case in point. Please don't use Ramza's poor fluffy body.

Unexpectedly moved by the cute.

I assume implied threatening hugs.
    That said... Pia seems to react much more strongly when she realizes it's Ramza, doesn't she? :3

Don't get any ideas, Sakuya! (Too late).

I apologize if I'm not totally on my game; I'm having some very painful coughing fits while I'm playing this bit, and it's taking up good thinking space.

Pestering everyone!

Last one, time for your bets! Will she think he's cute, want monsters to get out, or want to paint him rainbow? Place your bets!

Oh, a surprise upset! I bet no one expected --

...There we go. Good to know you're Daria, Daria!

RAINBOW!
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Poor Ramza, everyone wants to use him for crafting.

To be fair, though, if you were wandering around outside town and saw a golden wooly, you'd probably want to harvest from it too.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    So, I started off by being sick, and then there were holidays.
    Speaking of which, has everyone been enjoying their holidays? Mine was pretty good, all-told.

Anyway, since I'm only now getting back around to my normal schedule, have a bonus update! This was done at about the tail end of the worst of my (still-lingering) sickness, so just before Christmas. I am feeling much better.

Bonus! Wooly Extravaganza!
    Yeah a bonus update, that is cool to see, did like some of the comments here from Ramza. I also wonder if they translated Ramza comment to Sherman since he can sort of tell what a Wooly is thinking. While Ramza wouldn't be sure what to say to say Raven.

It is good to hear that you are feeling better, hope you continue to recover.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fun update.

Hope you feel better soon.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, get well soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Short but fun. Ditto on the getting better part.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

It continues to be strange and amusing! Hoorah!
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Hope you feel better soon Deme.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Well, that was...longer than I thought. Between holidays, being sick, and going away for a week, somehow, most of January's passed me by!

But I am not dead yet, so here's an update! For the record, I'll be getting back to Thracia 776... And I'm still working up the nerve to formally put Pokemon on a "I need to take a step back and see if I can't fix this" hiatus. (I am also working on some larval brainstorming for my next project.)

Chapter 26: Oblivious
    Spoiler
    Show

I stood for a moment, catching my breath. Being a little bit more free -- from secrets, or debts, or guilt, or yourself -- is staggering. I mean, I know nothing is different, now that Shara knows -- not in a concrete way. The world isn't changed.
    I try to tell myself that, holding the little golden flower she gave me.

And, you know, it's odd; I have the weirdest feeling like I hadn't moved in basically forever. Have you ever had that feeling? That weeks, or maybe a month, had passed, while you were standing there for just a moment?
    Trippy.

That said, I decided to use this slightly changed view of the world, with its bright, expanded sky and my springy little step to go help someone.

Meaningful options were slim.

(...Did Shara actually say she loved me?...I think I might stand there forever again at the thought.)
    I banish that intruding thought from my head and go see Monica.

"Is something the matter?"
    Monica prickled.

"I-I never said that..."

I take a step back, out of good caution.
    "So, did something happen."

"I want to give the present Shara gave me to Shara!"

"You want to return the gift to her?"
    It's a little late for re-gifting, isn't it?
    "Noooooo!" She groaned in frustration. "I want you to give her the same thing she got me!"
    "Ah, so you want to be matching."
    "Yup!" When Monica's excited or happy about something, she really is a cute little girl. It's a short-lived moment, as she reflects on the troubles that brought me to her.
    "Shara said that she picked it up in Privera Forest, but I can't go there..."

"Alright, so I'll go get it for you."
    "Really?! Are you gonna be OK by yourself?" She leans forward, her eyes big with shock.
    "Yeah, I'll be fine..." I mean, it's just the forest...

"ha ha..."Yeah, don't let me get too confident... "So, what did you get from Shara?"

"This!"
    She whips out a shining jewel.

That shouldn't be hard. Do I have one in storage?

"Just wait here, I'll go find one."

Well, while I try and remember what I do and don't have, I'll go see what everyone else is up to.
    Starting with Carmen, looking over the resort's guest registry.

"It'd be nice if our fishing community just grew and grew. All we need is love and fishing!"
    Love and fishing, huh? Isn't Love and Peace the usual?
    ...Well, I guess Peace doesn't feed people.

I wander up for recipe breads, and will follow that to see if there's anything to see at the inn.

"What brought that on, Pia?"
    "Lots of stuff! But...I was thinking about how easy it is to just drift along. I think I like being anchored, more."
    Being anchored... I'm not sure if I am. I mean, I feel...More and more sure of what's here -- people like Pia, and Raven, and Shara, who really know me...
    But then, I have to wonder about the anchors I can't see. The things I don't know. What if I end up getting anchored in two different directions?
    "Ramza?" She tilts her head at my silence, and her hand reaches across the desk for my shoulder. "Are you OK?"
    "...Yeah, I'm fine."

I don't stay talking to her after that. Outside, a storm begins to howl.

Then she sighs, the mood changed.

"What?"
    "You know, when my mom smiles, no one can turn her down. I wish I could smile like that..."
    "So you can impress people with your elegance and maturity?"
    "So my customers bend to my will!"
    ...Actually, her mom's best when she's vaguely threatening.

In the end, I end up going to the forest in the middle of a howling storm -- a typhoon, maybe even, with branches crashing down in the distance, the canopy shaking like a frightened child. The rain practically went sidewise, hitting me in the face.

What conditions to mine in. And with enemies around me, no less.

But eventually, my hair more or less gone wild with wind, drenched, and shaking like a baby, I wander to the flower shop's second floor with my prize.

"Now Shara and I can be matching! Yay!! Here! This is for you!"

...Yeah, OK. Worth it enough.
    "You're welcome."
    "Now Shara and I are a match! I hope Shara likes it."

My reward is a cookie.

After that, the storm of the past several hours vanishes, as if it had never been...

Well, except for my crops. I've got work to do.

And I end up working late into the night. I don't have all the seeds I'd need, but on the whole, it worked out OK -- and I even had a little strength to spare to just muck about with materials, trying to practice forging.

All in all, not bad; and I got a new axe from it, too.

The next day, that which survived the storm bears some fruit. It's nice, seeing a row of a good harvest, even after all this trouble.

I wonder if the settlement even noticed -- it is out in the middle of the desert, after all.
    "Of course we noticed." Kuruna explained, when I asked about it. "There's not as much rain, but the downpours we have are torrential... In the rainy season, it's important for the settlement to stockpile whatever supplies we can for spending our hours indoors; entertainment is...especially rare."

"I do. I'm not as voracious a reader as Ondorus, but I do enjoy them."
    "I thought so." She's pretty cultured, and has that sort of mature, intelligent air...

"Oh, it's just that books kinda strike me as...your 'thing.'"
    "My 'thing?' That's hardly an answer, comrade."
    I flail for a second, babbling a long string of things which aren't answers.
    "You know...You just seem, I dunno, cultured."
    "I...see. Thank you."
    "Why was that so upsetting?"
    "Well, I..." She paused and toyed with the fall of her cape. "I don't want my comrade judging me as 'nerdy' or such, based on my appearance."
    Hm, so even someone like Kuruna worries about her image?
    ...No, maybe that's wrong. Thinking back on it, how concerned she is about being a good elder, and the pride of her people... Kuruna probably worries about her image more than anyone else.

A-a-a real date? But Shara said -- but I can't just turn her down -- but -- but -- but -- she doesn't know, so it's all useless -- but, if I told her no, would she start to wonder why -- but she can't. She shouldn't. She...
    She's such an ordinary, normal girl...

While I ponder that, knowing full well I'll go, I'll go cook up my crops for sale.

Ah, smell that popcorn...

Something crashed upstairs.

I headed up the ladder to find...
    "Collette?"
    She was standing in the front of my room when I came upstairs. Sniffing the air.

She freezes, caught.
    "Did you come here because you wanted to eat my popcorn?" That smell'd make anyone hungry, but for someone whose default mode is hungry..."Sorry, but I shipped it already."
    "I-I didn't come here just to freeload delicious, tasty, crunchy, buttery popcorn, you know!"
    ...Are you sure?
    "Then why did you come?"
    She finally lets go of her rigid 'Oh, no, I'm caught,' posture, her face flushing. She dodges my gaze for a second, before returning to face me with a smile.

"What, to test? Wouldn't it make more sense to cook for your dad, though? He could provide more feedback than I could."

What's with that sudden crankiness?
    "Huh? But if you want to become a great chef, Blaise would certainly be able to help more than me!"
    Collette sighed.
    "Fine! Fine, you win!"
    And stomped out.

After that, um, confusing bit...I went to the shop and bought some eggplants to replace my ruined crops, and I found Karina upstairs.

"No, it's your job."
    "Actually, I'm not really the daughter of the general store. I'm actually --" She paused, her gaze intent at the space directly over my head. For a second, everything hung still on the space of her words. She scrunched up her face.
    Then she relaxed, and returned to her usual slack expression.

I headed out to see Daria next, and caught her at her painting, glancing at the rainy forest through her windows.

"I don't have the power to grant you that...What name were you thinking of?"
    "Well, I was going to name it Daria's Rainbow Garden!" She smiled brightly, ecstatic in her happy little dream.
    "Please don't make it your own." I mean, that'd probably involved painting the crops I have growing in that field rainbow, anyway.

As I walk back through the puddly woods, and onto the flower-strewn streets, I got thinking about names. About names for places.
    About...
    I have no idea where I am.
    AUGH! Somehow in the past month-and-a-week, I completely forgot to learn where I am! What a useful thing to know it would be...
    Maybe I should go ask Shara about it.

"Our town of Sharance is located in the Kingdom of Norad."
    "Norad?"
    Have I heard of that before?
    I must have. I mean, I did come here for a reason... So, I must have...
    But when? Is it where I'm from? I've come this far, but it still doesn't mean anything to me.
    "Yes, it's a small kingdom surrounded by larger ones."

"Really? So you must be pretty familiar with it by now." Ondorus mentioned it; I'd be interested in hearing more.
    "Well, actually...I never was very interested, so I don't remember very much of it."
    "oh."
    Oh, so...So...If it's surrounded by other kingdoms, am I from one of them? Or from Norad?
    I guess it depends on how close to the border Sharance is...

Without any more "real" answers than before, I walk to the Apothecary in the rain.

"...I...I...Somehow, I've come to dislike them," I try, wanting to avoid getting useless needles stuck in me.
    But when I say that, she just smiles -- and, you know, it's actually one of the gentlest and most sincere expressions I've seen on her face. She pats me on the shoulder, very lightly, like touching something delicate.
    "Then I'll make it medicine then. One that really works."
    Oh, that's very ni...Wait.
    "W-What are you getting ready for...?"[/color]

As I walk along, I think about some of the weirder interactions I've been having; even Marian seems to almost consider how I'm feeling. And Collette wants to cook for me... And Pia's been very nice, and Raven and I are close, and Shara said...Surely she meant that, like, um, a friend, right?
    She says that to everyone. Maybe.
    Maybe Sofia can help clear it up.

"Hey, Sofia...How do you feel about me?"
    She gasped.
    "This is out of nowhere!"
    Her eyes flitted, nervously, about the room.
    "Hmmm...What's the best way to put this?"
    A deep breath. A long silence as she put herself together.
    She blushed, her face bright red, as she shouted,

...Uh, that's...
    That's...
    "What's the opposite of dying in a fire?"
    But before I can ask it, she runs off in a hurry.

Well, that was...
    I wonder if it's being trapped, immortally, in ice...

Today's recipe bread:

...Hooray silverware?

After that, to the inn; a fairly ordinary routine.
    "How goes trying to smile like your mother?"
    "Not so good. I wonder if it's rooted in experience?"
    "Experience?"

"Something dangerous...?"
    "It's something I heard from an old friend of hers..."
    I can imagine it.

"Sakuya...?"
    "Suddenly I'm getting a chill..."
    "Yeah, I can believe it..."

Upstairs, the shop has some unusual things...Including a way of walking on water that's easier than using a magic seed. I buy that, and some recipe bread...

And a little magic, too.

And sword recipes.

After that, it's about time I go say hi to Carmen.

"Yes. I would be happy to accompany you."
    ...Smooth, Ramza. That didn't sound like you forgot how to relax at all.
    She grins, no matter how terrible that sounded.
    "Th-thanks! Now we can go stream fishing!
    I go permission from Carlos this time, so now we can go to Oddward: Archway."

"Okay. I want to catch a big one today."
    I'm not going home until I can feed a family with a fish!

She slings her fishing rod over her shoulder, natural as can be.

"This sort of weather is interesting to some fish, so we'll be bound to see something special."

She grinned, maybe a little sheepishly, in face of the weather outside. Even though we weren't trying to get anywhere drier, we ended up running the way there, dodging monsters and covering our heads. The rain fell around us like silver -- it's funny, really, how often I end up hanging around in the rain.

In the end, we ended up standing there, not saying a word. The flow of the river downhill was all we heard, and the sound of the rain -- just sounds of water, moving endlessly to and from the distant sea.

It's not an uncomfortable silence; at least, I'm not uncomfortable with it. I'm not being asked to do anything, or be anything, or trying to judge either of those.

Well, except fish.
    No luck there.

Carmen brings up another struggling fish.

And another.
    Man, they just love her...

I sigh.
    "I knew it. I can't catch anything today."
    Carmen laughs at my misfortune.
    "Ah ha ha. Oh well..."
    I shake my head slowly.
    Still, that little jibe aside, she leans a little bit closer and says, in a slightly quieter voice,
    "But I'm having fun fishing with you."

"I'm having fun, too. Maybe because I'm with you."
    It's nice, being with Carmen. She's...such a normal person -- everyone else can be nuts (not always in a bad way). Or reminds me of, well, what a sort of not-ordinary person I am. Carmen just seems to bring everything into her world, where the fish are jumping, and there's a family with a dinner and emberassing stories...

Carmen flushes and jolts back upright, her blue eyes wide.

I smile.
    "I just have so much fun when I'm with you."
    Because it's nice to belong in that world.
    Because it's nice to have a peaceful silence.

The silence that follows has a different sound, as the bobbers sway in the current. Strained. Carmen chuckles to fill the air.

I look at her nervous face for a minute, her boyish haircut framing that girlish smile, trying to play it cool.
    "I guess you have that side to you. It's cute."

Um, did I maybe...Go too far?

I went too far, as she swung her free hand, clasped as a fist, in the air.

And the ground.
    I bet that scared off all the fish...

"Ha ha, sorry." I mean it, I do, but then I say something...That I can't help but immediately wonder if I'll regret. "But, it's true."
    "Ah! Cut it out! I'm blushing!"

She turns like she's about to leave, or hit me, when suddenly she freezes.
    "Look at the sunset! It's so red!"

The sunset, seen through the pouring rain, is red and golden; the reddish trees glow in the filtered light, and the rain seems like molten copper.
    "You're right."

"It is very pretty..."
    Our embaressment, and my teasing, forgotten for a minute, we watch the sunset in silence.

She inches a bit closer to me -- or I move a bit closer to her -- or we both move, just a little bit, and stand next to one another in the middle.

No distant past. No future where I'll need to work out what's next. No lies, because no one's saying anything at all.

There's a noise like a string tightening.
    "Huh...? Is a fish biting?"

The rod I'd just been idly holding onto jerks, and it's all I can do to keep my grip. The moment's gone, and now it's all I can do to try and reel in the fish.
    "Oh! Yeah, it is! Pull up!"
    "O-Okay!"

The fish fights at the end of my line, diving deeper and deeper into the water. Each time I pull up, I see a flash of silvery black, and then it's gone in the splash of water again.
    "This fish is pretty formidable. At this rate..."

She slips one arm around my waist, and another wraps around the pole with mine. We dig our heals into the sandy riverbed.

And we fight the fish, until at last, it sails upward, a thrashing arc in the wet air between us.

"We got it..."
    She pants, in barely audible agreement.

Then, her breath caught, she laughs triumphantly.

I did it!
    "Thank you very much! Carmen," I added, at the last second, because somehow, it didn't seem quite right.

"Man, he was a tough one...Maybe he's the King Fish of this waterfall?!"
    I look at the fish I'm holding. I feel a bit bad for it, flopping around like that. I guess I need to decide quickly.
    "It's a little small for that, I think. Maybe it's just a plain fish?"

She laughs.

"Good job, Ramza. Now you take that fish home with you."

I glance at the fish. I don't use a barbed hook, and it's definitely still alive...
    "I was thinking... I want to let it go."

"I want to battle it again..." A real, one-on-one match! Just me and this fish!
    ...Somehow.

I laugh.

She trails off as I place the fish in the water. It goes swimming off, and soon fades into the river's depths.
    "N-nevermind. Let's go home."

I drop her off by the resort.

A scarlet blush spreads across her face.
    "Umm..."
    She gulps, and tries again.

"What?" I ask. I mean, what's with that look?
    She takes a few steps towards me -- but stops. Her brow furrows. She takes another big gulp of air, and then...

She dashes off, towards the door.

The door shuts sharply.
    ...Did I say the wrong thing?

With a rain still falling, and that still floating around my head, I head down to the forest...

And decide to test my new shoes.

First, I find a little island in the middle of the lake. Nothing there, but it's a cool island. Got monsters.

The other island I find, though...

Well, that's a biggun.

I take out my sword and rush towards it, swinging. My sword doesn't really do much to it -- I might be pretty outclassed...

And after I clear out the gate, there comes a stinger full of poison, lancing white-hot into my shoulder. Ow, ow, I did not come prepared for poison.

Or for wave after wave of claw-slashes. Honestly, this might be too much for me...
    And the poison keeps going on and on...
    I think it's time for a tactical retreat.

I port out, vowing vengence.

Vengence and healing items.
    Next time, island monster. Next time!

So, a few voting notes:
    #1, Outside of Carmen, we're mostly level with the other girls, in terms of events. So, once I get done with Carmen, for being closest to done, which of the girls ought I to focus on next?
    #2, So, we appear to be at least temporarily completely out of bulletin board requests (besides simple requests, which I usually ignore, because darnit but I hate running around trying to get things for people). Now, I can think of two ways to make up for the lack:
    a) Just don't replace them; fit more days, and thus more mailbox requests, into an update.
    b) Take girls on dates in the afternoon (Any suggestions as to whom?)
    Last edited by Deme; 2015-01-22 at 03:52 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say... Sofia. Because she was very amusing in this update.

And... are the dates a plottish thing that would have to happen eventually? If so, do those in the afternoons. If not, skip them - more days per update, or possibly just keep the same days/update and take that extra work off your plate for a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Well, we need to go on a date with Sofia at one point, in order to trigger one of her events -- though I'm not absolutely sure when. Other than that, no, the plot will not ask us to do anything with it, and it's not time-sensitive.
    Last edited by Deme; 2015-01-22 at 04:31 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

16. - Top - End - #226

Default We're All Mad Here: Let's Play Rune Factory 3!

Well, we need to go on a date with Sofia at one point, in order to trigger one of her events -- though I'm not absolutely sure when. Other than that, no, the plot will not ask us to do anything with it, and it's not time-sensitive.
    Thanks for the update it is good to see you are doing better, and enjoyed the update. Ramza obliviousness is done very well.

My joking suggestion for focusing would be Sakuya, just to see how Shino reacts to his actions. Though more seriously, taking Sofia on a date would be funny. Also, if necessary doing a couple more days per update could work as well. Though if it would be easier if you did the normal amount of days and a bit less to write, that would be fine too.

I also just started playing this and the cost of some things in this game are so much more than Rune Factory Frontier/Tides of Destiny. And the fact time does not pause in house/stores threw me off.

Also from the bonus, I just remembered my favorite line,
    Ramza: Cutting out the middleman in the "bring a cute dog to attract girls" gambit.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme
    ...Well, I guess Peace doesn't feed people.

Hm, how about focusing on Daria next? We haven't really seen much of her yet. As for the dates, I'm not really partial to either option. Whatever you think works best.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm not opposed to Daria, but don't really have preference. I'm also leaning towards dates in the afternoon. Glad you're back Deme.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glad to read you're not dead. Though this year I was ready for your mini hiatus, you basically did the same thing last year.

I would say go with Daria as well.
    And I vote for dates in the evening as well. Maybe... Could you alternate, some updates with dates, some with more days?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Javan View Post
    Glad to read you're not dead. Though this year I was ready for your mini hiatus, you basically did the same thing last year.

I would say go with Daria as well.
    And I vote for dates in the evening as well. Maybe... Could you alternate, some updates with dates, some with more days?
    Dang, you're right! I did! ...Maybe I should get out my happy lamp and sit by it more often during this time of year.
    In terms of more days/dates, I can try alternating a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post

I also just started playing this and the cost of some things in this game are so much more than Rune Factory Frontier/Tides of Destiny. And the fact time does not pause in house/stores threw me off.

Also from the bonus, I just remembered my favorite line,
    Ramza: Cutting out the middleman in the "bring a cute dog to attract girls" gambit.
    Yeah, things can be really expensive; I suspect, given how easy it is to make mountains of money, that Norad's suffered some severe inflation or something.
    Last edited by Deme; 2015-01-25 at 08:42 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

21. - Top - End - #231
    Halfling in the Playground

Glad to see that you're feeling better and that this LP is still going! I'm not posting much, but you can be sure that it's still in my bookmarks and I check it regularly.

As for a date, I vote for Sofia. I'm kind of wondering if the game can top "I hope you die in a fire"...

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Happy Valentines Day! If you're not with someone special today, well, at least you have an update. And the update loves you, and I love you for reading it.

Chapter 27: Romantic Comedy
    Spoiler
    Show

The next day...

I ran into a problem. Out of feed. When'd that happen? I'll buy more grass seeds, but there won't be much to tide everyone over but crops...

Delita shrugs this concern off, mostly.
    "<Monsters are durable; we'll work something out.>"
    Yeah, but...
    Oh, well. I can't fix it -- no one sells cut grass.

Then I head out to Kuruna's place, to try and get to know a little more about her. I'd like it if, one day, I could convince her about humans, but... Until then, I need every resource.

"Yes, we've been friends for a long time."
    "Friends, huh...?"
    Suddenly, a look of embaressment covered her face. She waved a hand, to try and dissuade me.

"What do you mean?"
    I mean, she said they're friends, not dating, right? Are there friends that aren't just friends?

At this, a hand snook up to cover her red face and adjust her glasses in a single move.
    "...Nothing. Nothing at all."
    "All right, then."
    Just friends... I don't know why, but I feel a little relieved.

I head home and check my mailbox.

...Well, I know how important it is, so I wouldn't mind helping her with it. Maybe if I understand it, I'll understand her.

I run into Collette on the path outside my house. She seems particularly energetic today.
    "What's got you all excited?"

"She always bakes a batch whenever I hang out at Marian's."
    Suddenly, your whole relationship makes sense.
    "I'll have to see if I can get the recipe from her, then."
    I'd like to know things without them appearing magically in my brain for a change.
    "Yeah, and Marian always makes tea to go with the cookies. But for some reason, my memory's always hazy after I drink it!"
    "I'd keep my lips away from that tea if I were you. Just a suggestion!"

Karian, at the shop, sat up and actually looked at me for a moment.

"What?!"
    I squirm. I mean, I've never really thought about -- I mean, how am I supposed to -- I mean, I'm not that sort of...
    Is she asking me because she wants to know if I like her? I mean, I... What am I supposed to...

I freeze, trapped under her soft green eyes.
    "...I...I might."
    I don't know how I feel. About anyone. It should be simple...But I'm not sure I can make things be simple.
    But there are people that, when they look at me, I feel a little different. When I talk to them, I feel a little bit better. It's scary, and confusing...

I don't know if I've ever liked anyone before.

Karina ducks her head, and busies herself with the items just behind the shelf, moving with a slow deliberateness.

Sofia ambushes me outside of the shop.

"About what you will talk about tomorrow..."
    "What's that?"

...That's...
    That's opposite, right?

Do I want to know what the opposite of that is? Encasing in ice? An Ice Shrine?
    "Uhh...Yes?"
    I try, hoping she did not actually burn everything.

Which leads, confusingly enough...

"I..."
    WHY IS EVERYONE ASKING ME THESE THINGS?!
    "...I..."
    Then again, Pia's warm embrace, her hair fanning out in the water... That moment when I felt, somehow, understood...
    "I...Someone important to me."
    I can put aside what any of that means, but I know that: Pia, and even Sakuya, are really irreplacable people.
    "And which one are you speaking of?"

Her smile is like ice cubes.
    "No, umm..."

I head to the flower shop and buy some grass seeds...On my way out, I see Daria running by, and end up chasing after her.
    And running.
    I end up running all the way to Vale River after her flaring cape.

"There I am?"
    "Yes, Assistant! You're a hard man to find!"
    "You do understand that I'm not your assista--"
    She barrels past me verbally anyway.
    "This time, I'm looking for --"

She delivers it very dramatically.
    "So could you find it?"
    "Ummm?"
    A round stone? From where?

"W-Wait a minute! Where do I find one of those?"

"She's..."
    I don't get that sort of recklessness after all.
    "Just throw yourself into it, and you'll find out! Embrace the discovery!"

I mutter to myself,
    "Hmmm...What to do? A round stone... Is it a gem? Maybe I'll ask an expert."

While I'm headed to the blacksmith, I buy this absolutely beautiful sword; it's much better than my current one, at least.

"Rocks become round by erosion. You might find one in a riverbed..."
    "The river bed, huh...? Thanks!"

I'll swing by on my trip through the town, then!

...Eeyup.

I headed out to the Oddward Valley's falls, in the hopes of finding...

Exactly what I found, a stone pounded round by the waterfall.
    "I bet that's what Daria's looking for! Let me..."
    I reach in, grabbing it from the slick bottom of the water.
    Well, that was easy enough.

I know she'll just paint it rainbow, but...
    It's very pretty.

I manage to catch up with her and hand it off.

Her eyes widen and sparkle like the still-damp surface of the stone.
    "..."
    Her face, pale under the splash of dry paint, grows intent -- brows furrowed, her bottom lip held under her top teeth, parted, very slightly -- everything but her eyes gone very still, and those darting.
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't think there was something...compelling, about the way her eyes hold the reflection of the stone, as if it were the only thing in the world: this thing, which she's already envisioning transformed.

A look of satisfaction and wild joy creeps in, slowly at first, and then cresting to a full smile.

"Oh, good..."
    She looks up from the stone to assess me.
    "Ramza, you have good instincts! I'm impressed, my dear assistant!"
    I sigh. For all that she's resolved to work with the stone... She's equally set on working with me.
    "Fine... I guess I'm your assistant..."
    I'll admit defeat.

But when I do so, Daria pauses for a moment, and looks at me. Very thoughtful, at my posture and my expression and -- and everything.
    "Ramza..." she says, in a small voice. Her gaze dips.

It's...so completely unlike her, to sound so hesistant.
    "...?! What's the matter?! Why are you suddenly so timid?"
    "I just felt bad...Always demanding everything of you, when you don't like it..."
    "What?! What?! Are you really Daria?!"
    "You don't have to use so many '?!'s"
    She pouts. I think...I might have actually offended her by being so surprised.
    "I can be considerate, if I want."

"Daria..." I smile. "You know, when I see how happy it makes you...I guess I really don't mind."
    I wish I could do something so completely.

She nods, gratefully, and then...

The moment is gone.
    "Oh, you can go home now. Here, take this with you."

"Daria..."

My reward is a dazzling assortment of mentals, from Bronze to Platinum.

While I'm in the area, I go to see if those cookies have been made: no dice, though I did get some information about Marjorie.

"They laughed and said they just had so much in common and patted me on the head."
    "Ah."

...In other words, troublesome children.

I walk back toward the bulletin board...

Where, to my surprise, there's a relevant request.
    Before I undertake it, I decide to get today's recipe breads...

The cooking bread was especially good.

Pia's got something to tell me the moment I step foot into the inn, before I can get to buisiness.

"Sometimes, two things just go together, you know? Like squid and my mouth!"
    Uh-huh.

"...I..."

I don't think she meant to make it sound like that.
    Honestly, I wasn't sure how I'd get on with anyone at first; it all seemed a little strange.
    Well, not that I had a great frame of reference.

"Speaking of Sakuya..."
    I head around the counter.

"About the bulletin board?"
    "That's right. You ready, Pia?"

Pia skipped towards us, giddy laughter filling the air.
    "Alright. Then you mind coming with us? We'd be in everyone's way here."
    "Hm? Okay."
    Where is this going?

The rain that was falling's given a brief pause, all the better for...Whatever this is.

"Uh."
    Start what?
    Sakuya coughs, clearing her throat, and then smiles with a polite efficiency.
    "Well, thank you all for coming today."
    "Huh...?"
    Where is this going?
    "Please just sit down and make yourselves comfortable."
    The ground behind me is still wet from the rain.

This is immediately disregarded.
    "Well, I'm going to sing a song!"
    "Why?!"
    ...Is this still part of the routine?
    Pia tilts her head, her expression innocent and thoughtless.
    "What?! But you said you liked my song!"
    Sakuya's hairbells ring as the stamp of her foot trembles up and outward.

"Oh, yeah! I forgot, this was that! The, um, s..."

"Stand-up comedy."

There's a pause, where they've turned to look at me.

Pia's giggles almost overpower the dejected sigh from Sakuya's throat.
    "We don't have a unique draw, so we thought we could draw in people with stand-up. What did you think?"
    "Well, ummm..."
    Half the time, I didn't know it was happening.

Sakuya groans, cutting me off before I can really answer.
    "Well, I didn't really need to ask."

"If only I were smarter, I could come up with better material." With a wistful glance down at the cobblestones, she adds, "You know, I heard there was some medicine that could help..."
    Then she snaps out of her own thoughts, looking back up at me and smiling.
    "Oh, I'm just glad to get your opinion. We'll work on it some more."

"Okay!"
    "Oh, but, I made it this far..."
    ...I don't mind being relied on, so much...

I take a few steps back.
    "Y-yes. Okay..."

Medicine...Maybe I should ask someone about it.

...While I know it's the best way to help...
    I have to admit, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Either way, Marian's in the back of the Apothecary, stirring away at her cauldron.

"That's the first thing you say...?
    Although it's not far off the mark, actually."
    Marian's eyes shoot open, her gaze absolutely intent.
    "Marian, is there any medicine that makes you smarter?"

Marian hmms about this, crossing her arms.
    "You mean like a Mental Supplement? But I guess it doesn't really make you smarter, technically... What about it?"
    "Well, I just thought I'd want some is all..."
    "You mean you'd take the medicine?"
    "Well..." Not me, exactly...

Her hand suddenly clamps down on my shoulder.
    "W-what? Why did you pat my shoulder...?"
    And why won't you let go?
    "You just made my day! I'll make it for you right away!"
    "What? Wait, I didn't ask you to --"
    I just wanted to know what there was!

"You just wait right there!"
    "She's not listening..."

Time passes so, so, so slowly. Things bubble and explode. Marian, hard at work, doesn't look at me -- she's all intent and focus, like a tiger in the jungle.
    At last, she turns, a big, happy smile on her face.

"You sound surprised about how much you made..."

"Oh, well, it's not for me..."
    I start backing away. Marian reaches for a teacup.
    "Wait, you don't need to get me tea! I'm not staying long!"
    She relaxes.
    "Really? Just the water and the medicine then."
    "No, what I'm trying to say --"

She springs across the space between us, the bottle in her hand -- the bottle's mouth on my mouth -- something sweet and syrupy on my tongue -- down my throat.
    I sputter and cough, but it's down now.

I blink. I have not exploded. I'm pretty sure I have full control of my limbs. I wave a hand, experimentally.
    "Huh....? Nothing seemed to have happened..."
    She waves a finger in front of my face.
    "Any tingling or poison?"
    "What did you put in it...?"
    "Then it's a success. You probably got smarter."
    "Hmm...It's not like it's anything I could tell right away.
    But it doesn't seem to have any side effects. It's probably safe to give Sakuya..."
    "Sakuya?"
    "Well, she's the one who actually wanted medicine to make you smarter."

"...Yes, of course she's not listening. I knew she wouldn't..."

I run back toward the inn, when suddenly...

I feel a blazing heat, like the summer sun's behind me. My vision flares white.

It feels...familiar. I cast a desperate glance around for errant gates. Or Raven.

But I've transformed before I even really realize it; there's nothing here, though...
    "I-I need to get back to human form..."
    What brought this on?

Before I can head somewhere more private, the door to the inn opens.

Ah, I've been -- Oh, wait. No. It's just Pia.

"Ra-"
    "...Shh."
    I motion frantically, in case someone comes up. She immediately stops before she actually says my name...

And rushes towards me to wrap me in another hug.
    "You never just walk around like this! It's so precious!"

I definitely don't want to be talking in the middle of the street, but she won't understand me if I don't!
    What am I supposed to do...
    Just as I'm about to just straight-up ask her to let me go...

Exactly why I didn't appears.

Sakuya comes running up to where Pia's petting my head and digging her fingers deep into my wool, where her fingers brush my skin. It's...oddly relaxing.

I shoot Pia a pleading look; maybe she missed it, but she says to Sakuya,
    "Yup! He's so cute!"
    "No, not that..."

Then she looks at me over Pia's shoulder.

She meets my eyes, and for a moment, I'm gripped by a little fear. I...I don't want someone knowing, if I don't know they know. If I don't decide they should know.

Maybe I'm still a coward.
    "..."
    Her expression grows at first worried, and then just a little bit hard.

"What?!"
    Pia gapes, and glances back and forth between her adoptive sister and myself.
    "What if something happened to a customer?"
    She makes a shooing motion with her hand, smiling at me.
    "Go on now."

I start to head off. I guess no matter how hard I try...It might not be enough to make being really honest safe.

I pause, and consider Sakuya. 'A monster's a monster,' huh?
    I shake it off, and head back to the Sharance Tree, where no one could see me.

Leaving Pia watching first my retreat, then Sakuya's.
    "...Poor Ramza."

I transform back when I'm under the shadow of the tree, and head into the inn.

Where Marian's there? Really?

"Huh? Why's Marian here?"

"What?!"

Is that...does that...
    "It seems like it creates an unbalance of rune energy in the body. Grandma said that Ramza might be okay, but Sakuya might not be."
    "Oh... (That's why I transformed.)"
    Wh-what does your grandmother know?
    I do not ask as much as I'd like.

Sakuya's here, after all.
    "Oh!" I flinch. Sakuya's been trying to be self-reliant...
    She smiles, and while I'm sure she can't...I feel like she's her mother.
    "I said you just had to watch. I'm sure it was someone else, wasn't it?"
    "Oh...well..."
    "I heard it was for you, Sakuya."
    I turn and glare at her.
    "Why did you have to mention that?!"

"Hmmm. For me? What's that mean?"
    "Oh, well..."

Her mother steps out from a back room, and comes up to her daughter's side.

"You're the one who told me to stop relying on him so much."
    "That was about before."

"Well, let's all calm down..."
    "Ramza." Her voice is steel.

"I'm sorry..."
    Mother and daughter glare team-up.

Someone's completely oblivious.
    "Why?!"

"Ah, they're all at it again." With a shake of her head, she announces that she's heading home.

Don't leave me here!

"A kind but intense innkeeper, a great buisinesswoman, and a strange staff member..." I think about the three of them, hard at work...And at odd little family drama.

I'm exhausted.

By the way, if I were to do some fan-art contest (across LPs, where fan-art can mean any fan-work), with some games I bought spares of on humble bundle as prizes, would anyone be interested? I don't want to run a meaningless contest.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Karian, at the shop, sat up and actually looked at me for a moment.
    Suspect that's a mistake.
    By the way, if I were to do some fan-art contest (across LPs, where fan-art can mean any fan-work), with some games I bought spares of on humble bundle as prizes, would anyone be interested? I don't want to run a meaningless contest.
    I'd give it a shot, it sounds fun.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Happy Valentines Day! If you're not with someone special today, well, at least you have an update. And the update loves you, and I love you for reading it.
    Happy belated Valentines' Day!
    I enjoyed the update, as usual. Thanks.

I may or may not be interested, it depends on my schedule and inspiration... Not the answer you were looking for I know...

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Ultimately depends on the games, but it sounds like fun!
    Not to mention I kind of promised Moemon fanart ages and ages ago and never followed through on it...

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

The games in question being Long Live the Queen (x2)
    I mean, I could just pass them out randomly, but I like getting things. That said, if no one would be interested in a competition, I guess I will. I mean, no sense in just wasting the codes.
    Last edited by Deme; 2015-02-17 at 03:02 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

Did you do an LP of that game? I seem to recall reading one on this site, but never posting on it...

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

I did; it's been updated some since then, since it was released on steam, but yeah, I LPed it. It's even in my signature!
    Last edited by Deme; 2015-02-19 at 05:29 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

I did; it's been updated some since then, since it was released on steam, but yeah, I LPed it. It's even in my signature!
    lol. So it is.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Happy very belated Valentine's day. I'll have to pass on the fan-art contest. The only artistic skill I have is writing. However, I've been very busy hacking code into Super Robot Wars: GameCube. I've had a very successful week.

As for the game, everything seems to be picking up. I'm looking forward to more.
    Ran @TweetsFromOYW
    Super Robot Wars 1 LP