New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VIII-Playgroundklok

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    They're just sooo silly... like a teenaged Finntroll.

But in a good way
    Is it possible to not like a band who have a crazy little goblin dancing around on stage?
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fay Graydon View Post
    Hey guys! Never really realised that there was a deadicated (Pardon the pun) metal thread!

But yeah, recently I've been listening to a lot of Nekrogoblikon
    That was the strangest music video I have ever watched.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    i am super jelly
    also, i'm glad we share similar views on the overall bleh quality of Black dahlia murder Comrade

How was it overall?
    Gorguts was decent, but they played a bizarrely short set (and went on earlier than Black Dahlia Murder ) and all of the like four songs they played were off their latest album, I think. Nothing from Considered Dead or Erosion of Sanity. Was pretty disappointed on that front.

Noisem was surprisingly excellent live-- I had listened previously to their sole release, the Agony Defined LP, and found it decent if unremarkable, but they managed to more than earn their place on the bill. Their guitarist is pretty kickass and has great hair.

Repulsion was awesome. Probably my second favourite set after Carcass. Scott Carlson's switched to more of a thrash metal rasp than that insanely crusty snarl he had going back on Horrified (though to be fair, that was thirty years ago), and I was slightly disappointed he didn't yell '****' at the end of Horrified as with the actual recording, but all in all a really high-octane set.

Carcass, naturally, were awesome, though I coulda stood to hear some more **** from the Reek of Putrefaction-Symphonies Of Sickness-Necroticism trifecta; mostly they played materiel from Heartwork and Surgical Steel. But it was cool to see Bill Steer actually doing vocals again, and it was certainly worth it just to see the crowd go ****ing insane when they started playing Corporal Jigsore Quandary :v

The **** with the Black Dahlia Murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

4. - Top - End - #214

I really hate to say it, but I'm greatly disappointed in the new Cynic album. The music itself is still complex and lovely, as usual, but without any bite at all. The blending of the aggression and the beauty was what made them powerful; without the death-metal elements, they're just another technically proficient atmospheric rock band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

5. - Top - End - #215

The Cynic of today just aren't the same band that released Focus in 1993. Hard to come to terms with, but, alas, true.
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

New Gamma Ray album out. It sounds like every other Gamma Ray album ever. Which is not a bad thing.

Also this seems like a good time to mention Evertale again. I've sort-of been hooked on them for a while. Classic German power metal, but surprisingly very bloody well executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    That was the strangest music video I have ever watched.
    That's quite a statement, coz I just know you've seen Deathstars music videos
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

That's quite a statement, coz I just know you've seen Deathstars music videos
    You know, I think this is even stranger.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, I think this is even stranger.
    Aye, Nekrogoblikon have that effect on people XD
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

9. - Top - End - #219

Having spent the better part of the past couple months listening to plenty of Realm and Toxik (Mike Sanders era, none of that Think This crap), I feel compelled to ask those of you who are more intimately acquainted with that type of music: any recommendations on technical/progressive thrash metal with competently executed clean vocals?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Having spent the better part of the past couple months listening to plenty of Realm and Toxik (Mike Sanders era, none of that Think This crap), I feel compelled to ask those of you who are more intimately acquainted with that type of music: any recommendations on technical/progressive thrash metal with competently executed clean vocals?
    Y'know, Think This is all I think I've ever encountered from Toxik, and I'd never heard of Realm before. Good stuff. I'll have to give it a look in more detail sometime. Though I have to ask, what's so wrong with Think This?

Anyhow, Artillery are the band that springs to mind for me. By Inheritence and B.A.C.K. are probably your best bets vocally with their original singer, but some of the singers they've had on their more recent albums are good as well, though they've eased off the tech thrash gas pedal a little bit in their songwriting.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Y'know, Think This is all I think I've ever encountered from Toxik, and I'd never heard of Realm before. Good stuff. I'll have to give it a look in more detail sometime. Though I have to ask, what's so wrong with Think This?

Anyhow, Artillery are the band that springs to mind for me. By Inheritence and B.A.C.K. are probably your best bets vocally with their original singer, but some of the singers they've had on their more recent albums are good as well, though they've eased off the tech thrash gas pedal a little bit in their songwriting.
    I found Think This to be boring and stale, lacking absolutely in the impassioned, driven riffing of their debut, with all that passion exchanged for a sterile sort of flatness about the album. It didn't help that Charles Sabin can't even be arsed to actually stay in key half the time. I remember his vocals on that album being compared to 'a really slow Kerry King solo' (also appropriately, Mike Sanders' performance on the debut was likened to 'Paul Baloff on helium').

That being said, I've come across Artillery in the past vis a vis By Inheritance, which I found lacking in aggression at the time; revisiting it now, I can't say my mind has changed. The song from B.A.C.K was better, though compared to bands like the aforementioned Toxik (which is hardly particularly aggressive fare itself) it still seems rather passive. I'm also not so much a fan of the vocals on this song either.

As 10,000 Devils goes, I actually rather enjoyed some of the vocals, but the music is even worse; I'm not sure I could even really call this thrash metal. The same goes for Chill My Bones; good vocals, dull and insipid music. I know this is gonna make me sound as contrived and puerile as a metalhead can sound, but... I just don't think Artillery is aggressive enough for me :v

Thanks for the recommendation though-- always appreciated, even if I don't necessarily enjoy what I hear.
    Last edited by Comrade; 2014-04-08 at 04:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

So... Mayhem is releasing a new album? lols.

Actually I've heard one song off the new album, and it sounds pretty good so far.

Also Opeth is working on some stuff apparently. Something for the prog rock fan :O

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

So... Mayhem is releasing a new album? lols.
    Do they even have any of the original members left? Because I'm not sure if it really counts as "Mayhem" anymore.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2014-04-09 at 04:24 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Do they even have any of the original members left? Because I'm not sure if it really counts as "Mayhem" anymore.
    Necrobutcher is still alive and kicking, apparently.

I'm as surprised as you are

Also Hellhammer. Not a founding member, but he was there for De Mysteriis..., which is what counts really.

Edit: Okay, what.

Apparently Johan Edlund is leaving Tiamat?

This sucks.

Also, he posted a really weird message on Facebook. Apparently he's leaving because of his health, but the message sounds sorta angry about the rest of the band. So... okay?

...and here I was hoping for another Scarred People. Sigh.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2014-04-10 at 04:12 AM. Reason: news

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

On a more important note, DEATHSTARS ARE BACK BABY.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

On a more important note, DEATHSTARS ARE BACK BABY.
    Ohhhh...this is beautiful!!!!!
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Nuclear Blast Records took it down.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Getting a power metal overload this month.

First it was Axel Rudi Pell and now Edguy and Sonata Arctica has released new albums all at once. I don't even know where to start.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    You will never know.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I am very glad I saw it then. Very, very good!
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

21. - Top - End - #231

]Mastodon released a new song. Vocals are a little weird sounding, but they grew on me. Sounds like they're continuing down the path that The Hunter went. Fine by me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    ]Mastodon released a new song. Vocals are a little weird sounding, but they grew on me. Sounds like they're continuing down the path that The Hunter went. Fine by me!
    I have NEVER been able to get into Mastodon even though I feel like I should. I've spun most of their classic albums 2-3 times and I just can't feel it.

Suffice to say I'm going to put a lot of effort into checking out this record as the promo cycle happens. I really want a mastodon album i can love!
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

I have NEVER been able to get into Mastodon even though I feel like I should. I've spun most of their classic albums 2-3 times and I just can't feel it.

Suffice to say I'm going to put a lot of effort into checking out this record as the promo cycle happens. I really want a mastodon album i can love!
    Mastodon are like plain rice.

They're not bad or unpleasant, but they're not anything special either. They sort of just exist.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Only just realised that an important landmark totally slipped by me earlier this year.

On 14 January 2004, Terje Bakken (better known as Valfar of Windir) died in probably one of the most metal ways ever: he froze to death. He was only 25.

Windir released only four albums, and they are some of the finest Viking metal albums ever made. Imagine what more Valfar could have done with Windir.

So yeah, I'm going to be listening to Windir's 4 albums, back to back, in chronological order, pretty much the whole day.

25. - Top - End - #235

Only just realised that an important landmark totally slipped by me earlier this year.

On 14 January 2004, Terje Bakken (better known as Valfar of Windir) died in probably one of the most metal ways ever: he froze to death.

Seriously though, that's sad news. To be honest I'm not familiar with Windir at all, but it's always unfortunate when an artist dies at so young an age.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

No discussions about recent albums?
    I've just finished the first listen of Impaled Nazarene - "Vigorous And Liberating Death". It seems solid, with more BM than expected (at least, by me) but their typical sound is still there.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Mastodon are like plain rice.

They're not bad or unpleasant, but they're not anything special either. They sort of just exist.
    right? can someone please explain the appeal?

Also, the new impaled nazarene is awesome, i love how balls out it is yknow?
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

28. - Top - End - #238

So it appears Cannabis Corpse has released the tracklist for their upcoming album, From Wisdom to Baked.

1. Baptized In Bud
    2. Zero Weed Tolerance
    3. Weedless Ones
    4. Individual Pot Patterns
    5. Pull The Carb
    6. Considered Dank
    7. Voice Of The Bowl
    8. THC Crystal Mountain
    9. With Their Hash He Will Create
    10. From Wisdom To Baked
    11. Medicinal Healing

Hilarious as always, but am I the only person waiting for them to finally parody a Suffocation track? I mean, come on, there are so many golden opportunities there. To Weed Once More? Weed of Inveracity? The Potvoking? Bud of Hatred? Pierced From Weedin'? Bongs to Deny? Jesus Blazed? Weed of the Infidel? Come Hell or High Priest doesn't even need any alteration. Put a little thought into it, CC.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

dat Death theme though...
    Anyone hear their split with Ghoul? It was *ahem* dank
    My Metal Blog

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground