New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power III: Fail to the Void!

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm not sure yet why this is happening but.. I don't see anything wrong with it... yet. Maybe we won't have any fake drama this issue and instead character development? Or at least exploration.
    Yeah, this update, it has potential. There are a couple of directions it could take. Im sure mookie will pick the stupidest one he can find, but for right now, it could be cool.

1) Basically a meet and greet and possible recruitment for the security team. Heck, she has shown a pretty hefty willingness to risk her life to save others, she might as well get some training!

2) A smaller gathering of "outcasts" Slenderwoman is former vorp iirc, she may want to introduce danica to a few others that dont exactly fit in so the outcast crew can induct another member.

3) She wants to hear all the details about the trouncing the vorps got, and her and her two friends there are making dinner.

As a side note, im kinda surprised a bigger deal isnt being made out of danica officially. She broke the vorp angels stealth tec! Thats freaking HUGE! That would be like if america created a technology that made us immune to nuclear weapons. All of a sudden, a very dangerous weapon has been rendered useless against them and its all thanks to this one lab assistant. It isnt even connected to star power, its straightforward "science" that now they have the basic concept, can be further refined. Danica should be getting frigging awards over that!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post

As a side note, im kinda surprised a bigger deal isnt being made out of danica officially. She broke the vorp angels stealth tec! Thats freaking HUGE! That would be like if america created a technology that made us immune to nuclear weapons. All of a sudden, a very dangerous weapon has been rendered useless against them and its all thanks to this one lab assistant. It isnt even connected to star power, its straightforward "science" that now they have the basic concept, can be further refined. Danica should be getting frigging awards over that!
    The two questions are did she tell anyone that she did this, and does it matter anymore? The Void Angels have been destroyed as far as anyone knows, and it's not clear if anyone else even knew how to stealth like that.

3. - Top - End - #1353

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The two questions are did she tell anyone that she did this, and does it matter anymore? The Void Angels have been destroyed as far as anyone knows, and it's not clear if anyone else even knew how to stealth like that.
    She was working with slenderwoman to track the vorp angel ships before she left the station to turn herself into a missile. Im sure they have recordings of that, and also fairly sure that it was included in the debriefing since, "Wait, how did you even know where to LOOK for the armada?" had to have come up at some point. As for they are all dead, im going to say its unlikely. Unless I forgot some comment made by the archangel about how they are bringing in every ship they have for an all or nothing assault, im sure they still exist out there. But even so, just having been able to break the tech means noone else will be able to use it against them again. After all, if the vorp angels could create it, that means someone else could always recreate it.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Firbolg in the Playground

A closer parallel would be this man, about whom a big deal hasn't been made either. Like Danica, he defeated a technologically superior enemy's stealth technology purely with science and cleverness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

5. - Top - End - #1355

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    A closer parallel would be this man, about whom a big deal hasn't been made either. Like Danica, he defeated a technologically superior enemy's stealth technology purely with science and cleverness.
    If I may add, repetitive manoeuvres on the enemy's side also helped, which doesn't deny that he was smarter.

Anyway, Grex has one hell of an office. I thought space stations were pretty small, so this is the sci-fi part, I suppose.

I like how nobody here needs a badge to give orders, just a smartphone with an animated GIF of Chief and a random background audio. It feels like a Chris Hastings thing, even though it likely was accidental.

I suppose the wounded squid got back to life? Or is she going to meet her parents via Skype? Or the President of Everything That Exists?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Anyway, Grex has one hell of an office. I thought space stations were pretty small, so this is the sci-fi part, I suppose.
    This actually hints at another issue with Star Power, which is that it kind of floats between Science Fiction and Future Fantasy (ie: Star Trek and Star Wars, respectively). In Science Fiction, the limited size of space stations, or alternatively whatever advancement has allowed them to grow large, is an important part of the piece and needs to be, if not explained, then at least understood by the writer and any implications fully realized. In Future Fantasy, on the other hand, space stations are as big as they need to be, so if Grex here needs a big flat to make the story flow, then the station is big enough to support that and explanations would only get in the way.

I think the problem here comes because Mookie is trying to shoehorn traditional Superheros (which is essentially Future Fantasy, even when it occurs in modern times or even recent history) into Sci-Fi, without realizing the inherent friction that creates between the two essentially incompatible storytelling methods. Science Fiction works because it builds off of what we know to explore things just beyond our current understanding of the universe. Future Fantasy works because it abandons what we know to either explore concepts that can't be explored normally (ie: the ramifications of time travel), or to grant a unique vantage point on concepts that are very relevant in our current world, but are hard to look at because of the baggage they've built up over the years (ie: examining racism when it isn't about groups of people that you may be a part of).

Trying to do both at the same time just takes away from both of them. Future Fantasy gets dragged down into the real world, hindering it's ability to tell stories about the un-real, and Science Fiction loses the grounding that lets it's stories seem real despite being about things that will likely never happen. It's probably possible to tell a good story that treads the line between these, but it would be a good story despite mixing the genres, not because of it. Mookie seems to have started Star Power because nobody's ever done the sci-fi/superheros mix, without realizing, or apparently even wondering, why nobody has done it. Even worse, he seems to still be completely oblivious to the conflict, and rather than committing to one side or the other, he flip-flops back and forth.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #1357

I dont think this is actually her "office" I get a strong employee rec room type of vibe off of this. Its the break room for the security staff, a place to grab a quick bite, relax on the sofa, and watch tv before you get back to work. *EDIT* As far as space is concerned, I actually have no trouble with this, because its a space station, Its a stationary structure that can be built in place, and could easily be modular enough to just keep adding on "rooms" until you no longer need the extra space.
    Last edited by Traab; 2014-08-20 at 06:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Barbarian in the Playground

This just highlights how stupid that plot development was. The Federation no doubt had hundreds of scientists working on that problem, and yet a lab assistant solves it all by herself in a few seconds just by thinking about it. Really? This ground my suspension of disbelief into a fine powder.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    This just highlights how stupid that plot development was. The Federation no doubt had hundreds of scientists working on that problem, and yet a lab assistant solves it all by herself in a few seconds just by thinking about it. Really? This ground my suspension of disbelief into a fine powder.
    Well I'm sorry. I'm not Tony Stark.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grex
    Nothing gets past you, Miss Maris. I'm not really taking you to the Chief's office. I'm taking you to my office... for a very important meeting.
    Am I the only one who wondered if Barry White was going to start playing when she opened that door?

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kwatsu View Post
    Am I the only one who wondered if Barry White was going to start playing when she opened that door?
    After all these years of reading Mookie's writing, I don't even see bolding anymore
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    After all these years of reading Mookie's writing, I don't even see bolding anymore
    I do, but that might be because I watch Atop The Fourth Wall, and reading the bolded text with emphasis to mock Frank Miller comics in particular is Linkara's style.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Heh oh yes I know what you mean I was wondering if we'd see a cosy dinner table for two with romantic lighting for effect!

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground

Gosh, you take that whole "sex idol alien race" thing a bit far, don't you? Danica isn't a lesbian, she is clearly and solely attracted to machines. (And maybe slightly to disembodied, ancient AIs) Leave your weird fanfiction out of it

So, Danica can actually get the chance to have... character development!? Really? Hurry, we better cut away to BHB escaping before this actually comes true!
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Gosh, you take that whole "sex idol alien race" thing a bit far, don't you? Danica isn't a lesbian, she is clearly and solely attracted to machines. (And maybe slightly to disembodied, ancient AIs) Leave your weird fanfiction out of it

So, Danica can actually get the chance to have... character development!? Really? Hurry, we better cut away to BHB escaping before this actually comes true!
    But what we got was a bunch of panels clarifying stuff we'd already guessed / didn't care about, followed by crying.

Yay adventure.
    Last edited by Kwatsu; 2014-08-22 at 08:59 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1366

But what we got was a bunch of panels clarifying stuff we'd already guessed / didn't care about, followed by crying.

Yay adventure.
    But hey... isn't she great?

I am under the impression that Danica really is Lunica, with Mitch being the new Dominic.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #1367

Considering "office" gets "parenthesis" around "it" im guessing this is not her private work area thats bigger than the stateroom on cruise ships. Im assuming some boring story about how she likes to be left alone and so tended to do all her paperwork and such in the break area, thus it got nicknamed "her office" Now, will danica have a breakdown over the friendliness? Or over her ptsd considering the massive heavy combat and life or death scenarios she has been in without any training at all? Or just cry over mitch? Im guessing mitch. Though in all seriousness, 2 should get attention considering that would make sense, involve character building, and be interesting to explore. She is a damn lab assistant. Her most dangerous moment up till recently was accidentally grabbing the tobasco sauce instead of the salt shaker once in the cafeteria. Now she has been blown up, chased by a bounty hunter, fought against an entire armada of ships, been taken prisoner, been nearly eviscerated from behind, captured, threatened by some genocidal lunatic, nearly been fried by some security system, and may have lost the source of her power boost. That could leave a mental mark on you, ya know? Dealing with all that could be interesting. But no, all that will be glossed over in favor of, "I miss my powers/Mitch!"

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, the thing that bugs me most about this update is how "huh" and "um" are put in lowercase letters. That's really bothering me. I think it's because it actually draws attention to them, rather than deemphasizing them. But really, it just looks weird.

Not saying the rest of the comic is good, but that's what really sticks in my craw here.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Titan in the Playground

So, Danica finally gets some inkling of her feeling for fleshy beings... It only took a whole book
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait, so now she actually cares about people? Well, it's clear these were people very close to her, so she's still not a social butterfly, but... it feels like in an attempt to develop her character, Mookie just repealed the only bit of characterization she had.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Wait, so now she actually cares about people? Well, it's clear these were people very close to her, so she's still not a social butterfly, but... it feels like in an attempt to develop her character, Mookie just repealed the only bit of characterization she had.
    In my head canon, it's continuing her characterization about caring for stuff. She just rationalizes why she cares about those things later.

22. - Top - End - #1372

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    In my head canon, it's continuing her characterization about caring for stuff. She just rationalizes why she cares about those things later.
    Exactly, its still inanimate objects she is attached to. Oh sure it implies that there are actual living creatures out there she either cared for or still does, but she is broken hearted over the loss of the objects. And yeah, it seems like a very blatant attempt to create a scenario where now mookie can go, "See, SEE?! Its not just the telescope, she liked these things because she liked people!"

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but I think it was done reasonably naturally here. I have no real problems with this - it gives Grex some characterisation as well, as a minimalist person (and also kind of a bitch).

Edit: And to be fair, being connected to objects because of who they relate to isn't exactly unusual...hell, in my own life, I was surprised at how nostalgic I got when my belt broke. It was the first one I owned, I really liked it and it was maybe 10 years old (I haven't grown much in the waist since I was 15), and that wasn't even given to me by anyone special.
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2014-08-25 at 01:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

24. - Top - End - #1374

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Yeah, but I think it was done reasonably naturally here. I have no real problems with this - it gives Grex some characterisation as well, as a minimalist person (and also kind of a bitch).
    I would say less bitch and more thoughtless. At first it did sound like she was getting upset over a bunch of random junk like her clothes or whatever. Now, had grex taken a few seconds to think about it, she might have realized that they were likely mementos she was upset over, not random things, but, that was her knee jerk response. Not bitchiness, just thoughtlessness. Once it was clarified she realized she had a serious case of foot in mouth disease.

Another thing to keep in mind, is, if this is the same person i am thinking of, she is the former vorp angel right? In that case, its entirely possible that she doesnt have any attachments to random things, so it would make sense that it wouldnt be the first reaction to pop into her head upon hearing that she is crying over her room getting blown up. If you dont have precious mementos of your own, its not surprising that you wouldnt think of that yourself.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say less bitch and more thoughtless. At first it did sound like she was getting upset over a bunch of random junk like her clothes or whatever. Now, had grex taken a few seconds to think about it, she might have realized that they were likely mementos she was upset over, not random things, but, that was her knee jerk response. Not bitchiness, just thoughtlessness. Once it was clarified she realized she had a serious case of foot in mouth disease.

Another thing to keep in mind, is, if this is the same person i am thinking of, she is the former vorp angel right? In that case, its entirely possible that she doesnt have any attachments to random things, so it would make sense that it wouldnt be the first reaction to pop into her head upon hearing that she is crying over her room getting blown up. If you dont have precious mementos of your own, its not surprising that you wouldnt think of that yourself.
    That is a much fairer analysis of it all - and closer to what I meant. I was being careless with my words. Still, I think it was a pretty good way of showing rather than telling us about Grex. Small steps for Mookie but still!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    That is a much fairer analysis of it all - and closer to what I meant. I was being careless with my words. Still, I think it was a pretty good way of showing rather than telling us about Grex. Small steps for Mookie but still!
    Truth be told, this was one of the more effective panels they've produced this entire run.

I can't wait to see how it will be retroactively ruined
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Bugbear in the Playground

It occurs to me that Black Hole Bill's flawless track record may be based entirely on redefining his constant failures. He's likely one of the worst assassins in the galaxy, but a reasonably good spin doctor. I hope this becomes cannon. :D
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

28. - Top - End - #1378

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
    It occurs to me that Black Hole Bill's flawless track record may be based entirely on redefining his constant failures. He's likely one of the worst assassins in the galaxy, but a reasonably good spin doctor. I hope this becomes cannon. :D
    "Wait wait wait, so how many people have you actually successfully killed?"

"Did that guy I shot in the head die?"

"No."

"Damn, then none.Wait, there was that guy I was hired to kill who had a heart attack while I was scoping him out. I can count that one as he DID die after I was hired."

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alternatively, he's actually just a sex worker whose ad the void angels grossly misinterpreted. Though never actually having worked as an assassin, he went along with it anyway because at the time of hiring he was wicked high on space-crack. This is based mostly on the fact that I find the name "Black Hole Bill" more suggestive than ominous.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
    Alternatively, he's actually just a sex worker whose ad the void angels grossly misinterpreted. Though never actually having worked as an assassin, he went along with it anyway because at the time of hiring he was wicked high on space-crack. This is based mostly on the fact that I find the name "Black Hole Bill" more suggestive than ominous.

Taking this too seriously for a minute, that doesn't line up with how Space Sanctuary Six's Security Services reacted to finding him.