New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power III: Fail to the Void!

Roland Emmerich: In order to kill the Star Powered, the Countess makes all the stars explode!

Michael Bay: The trailers are for Emmerich's film. What we get is thirty minutes of space action scattered around ninety minutes of a cringeworthy Danica/Bill rom-com as da Chief makes inane and vaguely racist jokes.

Frank Miller: The Void Angels are now a blatant caricature of Al Qaeda, which doesn't stop Danica from having sex with all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Roland Emmerich: In order to kill the Star Powered, the Countess makes all the stars explode!

Michael Bay: The trailers are for Emmerich's film. What we get is thirty minutes of space action scattered around ninety minutes of a cringeworthy Danica/Bill rom-com as da Chief makes inane and vaguely racist jokes.

Frank Miller: The Void Angels are now a blatant caricature of Al Qaeda, which doesn't stop Danica from having sex with all of them.
    What about pre- nutjob Frank Miller?
    - Or Danica's a scar bodied anti hero (Sin City).
    Edit: For Grant Morrison's part, I'm not joking. These two clowns, Mook and Garth, can't make a good characterization but good enough to make a My Little Pony (G3 or 3.5) fanfic.
    You should read Animal Man or JLA Run.
    Last edited by t209; 2014-01-09 at 04:03 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

New Comic is up.

No surprises there. Well, apart from Danica being oddly racist for someone living on a ambassadorial space station and who therefore probably sees new alien species around every other week.
    Not a robot

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doompuppy View Post
    No surprises there. Well, apart from Danica being oddly racist for someone living on a ambassadorial space station and who therefore probably sees new alien species around every other week.
    Well, I wouldn't say racist (because it's clearly specist) but it is an odd reaction, assuming the number of alien species isn't that limited she'd expect to know them all or its mere curiosity because she doesn't know her...

So, will the Countess blow up the archangels next and then Danica saves them and they turn into good guys?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doompuppy View Post
    New Comic is up.

Which might be why she is so confused to see an alien race she has never heard of before. But yeah, what is she is not the most diplomatic of questions WHEN SHE IS RIGHT EFFING THERE! Hell, even adding in the word race would have done a lot to fix that. And getting rid of the pause, "Um, what race is she?" There, now it doesnt come across as a little girl going, "Ugh! What the hell is THAT?!"

As for the rest of the comic, wow, are we seeing the start of a danica/vorp angel alliance against the countess? Because im seeing something approximating the countess about to declare war on the vorpers. On the one hand I approve because short of mitch waking the hell up and talking to her, this is probably her best chance to finally get some info on wtf is going on in the universe right now. So far she knows literally nothing but the vorp angels have tried to kill her three times, and there have been 9 invasions from some wormhole somewhere in galactic history. On the other hand, I dont approve because danica is going to try an "enemy of my enemy i my friend" argument with the chief, and he will agree, despite the fact that he is the head of security for a space station, and not legally allowed to make alliances with intergalactic terrorists that just this morning tried to wipe out said station. This is the equivalent of JFK airport teaming up with al queada because there is a team of even worse terrorists out there out to destroy them both.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Why the hell is Void Archangel having this conversation not only in public, but in front of the enemy he's just converted to his cause?

This is stupid! Void Archangel TOLD the Countess he had arranged a meeting with Danica, and the Countess took it perfectly calmly. She even said she was going to send representatives! Not assassins to help the Voidies to kill her--representatives, implying that she knew this was going to be some sort of diplomatic encounter--she even unironically calls it a "meeting"--rather than an ambush.

Now granted, he didn't say he was going to try and convert her, but now she seems to take anything less than "kill her on the spot" to be a reason for frothing rage, when before she was calmly thoughtful about the whole idea of having him meet up with Danica. It's like Mookie forgot all about that call with Void Archangel, since she was behaving rationally (and we never saw hide nor hair of the representatives she was supposed to be sending).

And finally--at first glance, I literally read the second panel as "SOMEONE WILL PAY FOR THIS OUTRAGE!" Good grief.

EDIT: Yeah, reading the new comic again: this conversation makes no sense at all given Void Archangel has already told the Countess they've had trouble fighting Danica on two separate occasions, AND that he was arranging a meeting with Danica, which the Countess agreed to. I think Mookie just flat-out forgot any of that happened, or the Countess's reminiscing has pushed the memory of it out of her brain.
    Last edited by Kwatsu; 2014-01-10 at 07:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

....but....how could Mookie forget something so....recent? surely no one has that bad of a memory?

I'm thinking he intentionally changed it. like going "oh wait, I made the villain look too reasonable by making her agree to the meeting thingy, GOTTA MONSTERFY HER AGAIN!" just like he did with the genocide retcon thing.

its like he is yo-yoing between one kind of villain and the other, between Countess "I'm a sympathetic villain with understandable motives" and Countess "I'M AN UNREASONABLE MONSTER, ALL SHALL DIE." making her look more like she has multiple personality disorder, or he just decided to suddenly change what kind of villain she is halfway through without going to the effort to making it gradual, of actually eroding the villain's grip on the situation little by little and slowly destroying her until she becomes that monster naturally and in a way we can believe it happened.

or he thinks this is all somehow consistent and that he is somehow showing a well-rounded character. Somehow. I can't grasp Mookie Logic.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Is Countess the new Mustache Warlord?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

The ancient enemy, of course, is Void Archon, whose people are the technological successors of the empire. The coward is Danica, whose Star Powered ancestors weren't willing to strike the killing blow when they had the chance all those millenia ago.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Is Countess the new Mustache Warlord?
    I'd say she's the new DJ Callan, given that she's the big badguy but she mostly just sits around, she keeps changing personalities from affably pragmatic to irrational monster, we see flashbacks of her that cause gaping plotholes, and she can't plan her way out of an empty bathtub.

At least Mustache was consistent in his evuhlness. That makes him more like Blackhole Bill.

Come to think of it, Blackhole Bill has been the only villain in this comic to display the slightest amount of competence. He's either the new Mustache or the new TIM.

Edit: Or here's another way of looking at it: Archvorp is the new DJ Callan, and Countess is the new Snuggly. Their relationship is almost the same: she's off-kilter and spouts cartoonish supervillain dialogue, he's calm and collected but still just as stupid. They fight commit crime.
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2014-01-10 at 12:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

No, no, no, you see, all these flashbacks are actually taking place alongside the "modern" timeline! You see, the Countess of the past issues was actually the reasonable mother figure in the flashbacks, but then the daughter killed and replaced her in the past, and now the Countess is suddenly the daughter!

You see! Time travel explains everything!
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

It does beg the question that if timeless space is so timeless that these aliens are able to pop in and out invading over multiple millenia in a single of their generation, why do they perceive the Star Powered Sentinels as "ancient" enemies?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    It does beg the question that if timeless space is so timeless that these aliens are able to pop in and out invading over multiple millenia in a single of their generation, why do they perceive the Star Powered Sentinels as "ancient" enemies?
    There is a scientific answer for that.

Shut up.

(Shut up is the answer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwatsu View Post
    This is stupid! Void Archangel TOLD the Countess he had arranged a meeting with Danica, and the Countess took it perfectly calmly. She even said she was going to send representatives! Not assassins to help the Voidies to kill her--representatives, implying that she knew this was going to be some sort of diplomatic encounter--she even unironically calls it a "meeting"--rather than an ambush.
    To be fair, I read that interaction as clearly sounding like "meeting" was code for "ambush-murder". The Archangel stressed that he was "meeting" Danica, that she was going to be alone and he would have all of his troops, and did the Countess want to come watch what happened next? She said no, she didn't want to dirty her hands, and that she would send representatives "from her legion", meaning deadly soldiers. The emphasis there seemed to be on betrayal and violence.

Of course, she immediately berated him for wasting resources and reminded him that you could always gain new ones, which basically is what he's now doing, so it still makes no goddamn sense.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    No, no, no, you see, all these flashbacks are actually taking place alongside the "modern" timeline! You see, the Countess of the past issues was actually the reasonable mother figure in the flashbacks, but then the daughter killed and replaced her in the past, and now the Countess is suddenly the daughter!

You see! Time travel explains everything!
    Wow, time travel really does change everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    To be fair, I read that interaction as clearly sounding like "meeting" was code for "ambush-murder". The Archangel stressed that he was "meeting" Danica, that she was going to be alone and he would have all of his troops, and did the Countess want to come watch what happened next? She said no, she didn't want to dirty her hands, and that she would send representatives "from her legion", meaning deadly soldiers. The emphasis there seemed to be on betrayal and violence.

Of course, she immediately berated him for wasting resources and reminded him that you could always gain new ones, which basically is what he's now doing, so it still makes no goddamn sense.
    To me the language of it all seemed very reasonable rather than literal. "Dirty her hands" didn't seem to be literal; more in the sense you'd talk about sullying your hands by hiring a mercenary. But *shrug* different readings.

On the other hand, this comic is still stupid any way you slice it.
    Last edited by Kwatsu; 2014-01-10 at 02:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Did we ever get to see the representatives that she sent?

I think it's ambiguous enough that Void Archon could have thought he was negotiating from a position of strength while the Countess thought Void Archon was setting up an ambush.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Brandon Sanderson - We'd get an elaborate description of the magic system involved in firing beams of energy.

---

Danica Maris: Orion for Hire

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

the Void leader is really bad at selling himself... I mean he just admitted to his client that his best weapons were no use against the target. Not exactly a good way to keep your client in you services. A more diplomatic explanation is simply saying that trying to destroy the target was becoming too costly; Which is technically true, but leave the false impression that he is capable of killing her if he really wanted to... he just doesn't because he'd loose more than she is worth.

Not to mention that void becomes even LESS threatening now that they have indeed confirmed that Danica already beat their best... granted they already come off as minor threat at best, so its actually not that big of a problem if they are done as villains... though if mookie wants these guys to keep playing a villain then it will take A LOT to create any sense of tension. Otherwise the above would have been better; if mookie wants to keep this guy around as a villain, then the least he could do is leave the impression that Void does have bigger weapons up his sleeve

I think it's ambiguous enough that Void Archon could have thought he was negotiating from a position of strength while the Countess thought Void Archon was setting up an ambush.
    Almost seems like the set up for something comedic.

Void: I have arranged to have a meeting with her
    Countess: Ah excellent, i will send a "representative" to this "meeting"
    -end call-
    Void: Minion prepare the complimentary snacks and beverages!
    Countess: Minion prepare the complimentary guns and battleships!
    -Que a very awkward "meeting"-

Or something like that.
    But yes, one of the big off's about this is that she said she would send someone to the meeting and that someone never showed up... if he shows up now it will be AFTER the meeting.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2014-01-10 at 03:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    the Void leader is really bad at selling himself... I mean he just admitted to his client that his best weapons were no use against the target. Not exactly a good way to keep your client in you services. A more diplomatic explanation is simply saying that trying to destroy the target was becoming too costly; Which is technically true, but leave the false impression that he is capable of killing her if he really wanted to... he just doesn't because he'd loose more than she is worth.
    I get the impression from the interactions between Archon and Countess that their relationship is not simply one of client/mercenary. What species is Archon? Could he be a male member of Countess's race and is actually taking orders from her (but trying to hide this fact because they don't want anyone to know that Archon's race is really all frontrunners for the wormhole invaders).

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

I get the impression from the interactions between Archon and Countess that their relationship is not simply one of client/mercenary. What species is Archon? Could he be a male member of Countess's race and is actually taking orders from her (but trying to hide this fact because they don't want anyone to know that Archon's race is really all frontrunners for the wormhole invaders).
    no, he and the countess don't really have much in common that would suggest they are of the same species, and Danica was not surprised to see him as opposed to her which would suggest that she has seen his kind before. There is also nothing that really suggests their relationship is any closer than that of client and merc.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    no, he and the countess don't really have much in common that would suggest they are of the same species
    Mostly I was thinking they're both blue and running with it

and Danica was not surprised to see him as opposed to her which would suggest that she has seen his kind before. There is also nothing that really suggests their relationship is any closer than that of client and merc.
    What suggests to me their relationship is closer is, for example

http://www.starpowercomic.com/the-client-is-never-wise/

"with you on our side, our client will gain a powerful new weapon". If he was just being paid to kill a bunch of star powered sentinels, he'd call up the Countess and say "I turned the last one, job's over". Instead he acts as if the Void angels are under the employ of the Countess and the Countess alone, which is odd for what appears to be a very large mercenary group. He even knows the star powered sentinels are ancient enemies of the Countess, which is information that she probably wouldn't have shared if it was just "I have a job for you, kill these magic light people for me". They seem to be more like allies than her hiring out the Void's for a simple mass assassination job.

22. - Top - End - #82

I think you are trying to see too much in the Varcha&Countess relationship. Mookie simply didn't think it through and went with what he found cool in a couple of passages, and now his comic has already become the content of a tanglefoot bag.

But, you know, I think it would really make the story better, if it turned out that they just want to bang each other really hard, they just can't see each other's intentions and therefore don't go with it. And then the reveal! And then the effects! And... then... the...

I can't go any further. But I think it would make the comic better.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Brandon Sanderson - We'd get an elaborate description of the magic system involved in firing beams of energy.
    Danica dies five minutes in because the superpowers are too rigidly-defined for her to make up new ones on the fly. And then Da Chief becomes a god.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Just watched Space Dandy.
    It's much better than this.
    I just wish Mookie would read Flashman series, or other incompetant coward with heroic reputation story.
    P.S- He's also a friend with Tim Buckley, which I felt that they should form the Dumb Writers of Boston foundation.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Just watched Space Dandy.
    It's much better than this.
    I just wish Mookie would read Flashman series, or other incompetant coward with heroic reputation story.
    P.S- He's also a friend with Tim Buckley, which I felt that they should form the Dumb Writers of Boston foundation.
    yea like Ciaphas Cain, (obligatory HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!) or as I said before, Booster Gold.

or heck, how about Deadpool, or Black Mage, or Arthur Dent, just Arthur Dent given Star Power, or Zaphod Beeblebrox given Star Power. and we could replace the white star thingy with Marvin's head. it would be 100 times more entertaining with anything like that.

as for writers:

Dan Shive: one of the beams Danica shoots turns people into girls, and we spend half to most the comic on her relationship with her boyfriend, who turns out to be an alien who can change gender at will while his friend is a robot who is trans-biological (the robot thinks he is human stuck in a robots body and wants to "transition" to human) who himself has a trans-robotic friend who believes he is a robot stuck in a human's body. wacky hijinks ensue.

Sandy Mitchell: Danica tells the story in first person while saying that half the stuff about her is propaganda, while Da Chief puts in footnotes for accuracy and whatnot.

George RR Martin: The Ninth Wormhole is just a vaguely hinted at threat, the Star Sentinels are an overworked small guardian force that can't enforce order everywhere in the galaxy, and most of the comic revolves around the politics in center of the federation and how they make life horrible for everyone involved.

Jim Butcher: Danica has been a Star Sentinel for years, but some sort of tragedy ensued because she got her powers, and despite her best efforts destruction tends to happen around her partly because of her blastiness and she ends up accidentally killing a large amount of people because of it and she is slowly beginning to make deals with various alien or evil entities to ensure peace and safety for everyone while becoming more and more hardened and broken in the process

Little Kuriboh: Danica constantly breaks the fourth wall and is a jerk all the time, everyone has a catchphrase, and there is an endless parade of gay jokes.

JRR Tolkien: We begin thousands of years ago when the first wormhole opened, then we have some failure involving men and the corruption of power, then we trail off into more history involving various details about certain races that are awesome but tangential to the tale that goes on forever, then detailing each and every planet in further detail and the legendary battles that happened there, and wasn't there supposed to be something about a last star sentinel doing something?

Robert Jordan: we begin thousands of years ago when the first wormhole opened and then we have some failure involving men and the corruption of power that screws things up cosmically, so that only women are granted the Star Power, Danica is chosen as the Star Power and goes on a quest to rally the federation to her banner and is a complete jerk, accompanied by other Star Sentinels who are also jerks, who are accomplished manipulators of galactic politics which leads to getting into the various cultures and social groups of the world as the conflict with each other sparks and turns to battle and traditions are in upheaval because of Danica's existence, while we focus on Danica's friends doing various smaller things in other places with at least two love interests for each, both of them coming from a different culture, and wasn't there supposed to be a last star sentinel doing something?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think that we're about to learn that void archon formed a fleet of intergalactic killers because his mommy didn't hug him when he was a child and then when he grew up nobody really gave him a chance. Then he'll be a mostly ineffectual good guy and we can forget all about how he used to commit large-scale murder and execute his own employees.

The Countess will die in this arc because she lifts weights.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe the Countess didn't actually murder her mother. Maybe she was actually to kill scare away her mother's lesbian lover.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Maybe the Countess didn't actually murder her mother. Maybe she was actually to kill scare away her mother's lesbian lover.
    Maybe her mother wanted to run away from the battlefield to lower her self-esteem and lead her to suicide!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

29. - Top - End - #89
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Maybe her mother wanted to run away from the battlefield to lower her self-esteem and lead her to suicide!
    Clearly her mother was never very fond of her desire to be a blue skinned long tongued princess rakararrr!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

How much people does the Countess actually command, aside from the Void Angels? So far we have only seen her and seminar room full of cheerbots. Maybe she is just a crazy old cat lady with a big bank account but without cats and wrinkles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin