New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power III: Fail to the Void!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwatsu View Post
    EDIT: Newspost suggests Mookie is working on a Dominic Deegan documentary.
    My wish came true. The concept hadn't even crossed my mind before but now I realise that this is what I want.

Truly, we live in the best of all possible worlds. And it always gets worse.

It should be called 'See the Inconvenient Truth' and must definitely be narrated by David Attenborough.

Here is the Dominion Ape in its natural habitat: the white void.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    I was flattered to learn that they wanted to make an entire DVD about, well, me!
    The comic is called Dominic Deegan not Michael Terr- Oh forget it.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2014-01-18 at 02:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

I...

I'm speechless.

I understand that this is a tiny independent producer, but...

Of all the webcomics they could make a documentary about, why Dominic Deegan??

Dominic Deegan stopped being at all relevant long before it finished. And surely they must know the artwork was overall a total joke and only slightly improved throughout the comic's run. How do they think it's going to look to show these junior-high scribbles in a documentary? And... And...

In all probability, they're planning to make documentaries about a number of different webcomics, but...

Dominic Deegan??

It could be that Mookie misunderstood their intentions; they might be making a documentary about webcomics in general and Mookie will just have a tiny cameo. Maybe...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    I...

I'm speechless.

I understand that this is a tiny independent producer, but...

Of all the webcomics they could make a documentary about, why Dominic Deegan??

Dominic Deegan stopped being at all relevant long before it finished. And surely they must know the artwork was overall a total joke and only slightly improved throughout the comic's run. How do they think it's going to look to show these junior-high scribbles in a documentary? And... And...

In all probability, they're planning to make documentaries about a number of different webcomics, but...

Dominic Deegan??

It could be that Mookie misunderstood their intentions; they might be making a documentary about webcomics in general and Mookie will just have a tiny cameo. Maybe...
    Could it be a goon or 4chan prank? Edit: After watching this video I can confirm that they are the perfect studio to do DD. Geek specific comedian. What.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2014-01-18 at 09:32 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Could it be a goon or 4chan prank? Edit: After watching this video I can confirm that they are the perfect studio to do DD. Geek specific comedian. What.
    oh, I see the media fracturing has produced a geek specific comedian. not unexpected. the direction of media nowadays, at least online, is to personalize things to the point where everyone is catered to and their interests given to you, most for advertising purposes, while all else is filtered out, this produces more and more islands of specific media and culture for smaller and smaller groups (this is both a good and a bad thing for reasons I won't go into now)

but yeah, I'm not surprised, *looks at the video* ooooooh we're getting a studio run by a university methinks. I think they're going to be looking at stuff like the orc rape stuff than anything else in DD, probably webcomics in general, I think they're just going to mention the notable controversy thing and leave it at that.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh you have GOT to be kidding me!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not only is she not going to murder 50 flavors of *^% out of the vorp archangel, she is going to be little miss keeps her word only given under threat of murder and save the void angels? Oh, and great job beating up the boss and then leaving him there next to his control panel to blow up your station out of spite. (Not that either of them are aware the station has dismantled the bombs already, even though they should be able to guess)
    I swear its like she is intentionally picking the least logical path to follow.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

*sigh* This isn't fun to read, and it's even less fun to try joking about it. It's so contrived it's like snarking a line graph.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

*sigh* This isn't fun to read, and it's even less fun to try joking about it. It's so contrived it's like snarking a line graph.
    Right looks like Danica has been watching the wrestling channel... I hope she remembers she can just create a giant teddy bear with claws for them to be hugged by!

Well if they're going to be absurd may as well sit back and discuss what they've missed!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

And now the void soldiers have devolved into the female lead of a bad horror movie. Meanwhile Danica gains the instant respect and undying loyalty of ten thousand vorpers, and will be leading the invasion against timeless space next book probably. This whole thing could be wrapped up before April.

9. - Top - End - #159

...Yeah. I think I pretty much covered all the problems with this in my post about the last strip. Except this strip adds the additional layer of stupidity that Danica doesn't try to kill or even incapacitate Archvorp. Hey Danica, how do you think he's going to react, now that you've humiliated him in front of his soldiers and revealed that they can't trust him? I don't think keeping your coerced oath to him is going to lighten his mood very much. And you left him right next to the button that blows your station up.

...He's going to be impressed by her ability to make stupidest right decision under pressure and become friends with her, isn't he?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's like celery: Nature's toothbrush for your colon! O la la!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Y'know, Danica really acts like an overconfident God-Mode PC in a particularly dire RPG. She doesn't bother to do anything but make grand gestures when they are either (A) Cool; (B) Screwing over the DM's Plot; or (C) Both. And the DM has no choice but to sit back and look bemused while the PC steamrolls everything put before her.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    ...Yeah. I think I pretty much covered all the problems with this in my post about the last strip. Except this strip adds the additional layer of stupidity that Danica doesn't try to kill or even incapacitate Archvorp. Hey Danica, how do you think he's going to react, now that you've humiliated him in front of his soldiers and revealed that they can't trust him? I don't think keeping your coerced oath to him is going to lighten his mood very much. And you left him right next to the button that blows your station up.

...He's going to be impressed by her ability to make stupidest right decision under pressure and become friends with her, isn't he?
    I foresee two variations that are likely.

1) (aka the better option) "Hmm, you saved us star powered, when you could have easily fled and left us to our doom. Obviously our contract with the countess is done, so you will not see us attacking you again." Basically, they will "thank" her by no longer trying to kidnap/kill her or her friends.

2) (aka the lame ass option) "HAIL DANICA! HAIL THE VOID!" Now she has a loyal army of faceless mooks that have switched allegiance because she actually tried to help while their boss was going to throw them all away so he could live. There are all sorts of messiah angles that could be played here. Danica is "The Light In The Void" or something to that effect, and so they will follow her will from now on against their mutual foe, the countess and her 9th wormhole army. This is unfortunately likely due to the chosen one angle mookie loves ever so much.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #163

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Y'know, Danica really acts like an overconfident God-Mode PC in a particularly dire RPG. She doesn't bother to do anything but make grand gestures when they are either (A) Cool; (B) Screwing over the DM's Plot; or (C) Both. And the DM has no choice but to sit back and look bemused while the PC steamrolls everything put before her.
    Hey it's not Danica's fault the DM screwed up the enemy levels. This way she's going to get her own battle ship and crew of Vorpers.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Hey it's not Danica's fault the DM screwed up the enemy levels. This way she's going to get her own battle ship and crew of Vorpers.
    I dunno if a Battleship without Point Defenses and a Crew of Redshirts are assets so much as shiny traps

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

15. - Top - End - #165

GnomeWizardGuy

I dunno if a Battleship without Point Defenses and a Crew of Redshirts are assets so much as shiny traps
    Pfft that's just the DM being clueless again, time to blow this railroad campaign and become space privateers.

16. - Top - End - #166

Btw, I just wanted to add, the last panel is awesome. I have no idea WHY the bad guy decided to stand up straight and tilt his head back, considering up till then it was more of a lean forward type of posture, but since thats the only way she could have nailed him in the throat with a drop kick, I will allow it.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Aster Azul View Post
    I still remember meeting Mookie at a convention a few months ago. I fully intended to tell him how bad I thought Dominic Deegan was, but he was just SO NICE. SO FRIENDLY. SO HAPPY. With such a HUGE BEARD.

Oh well.

Yeah, you can't hate that guy or his comic. Not really. It's just sort of humorously disappointing, like a superhero with flatulence.
    Guess what I found... http://balazo.net/2010/09/going-to-wor/
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

AAH! Danger! Take it away, take it away!

Seriously though, I hope this conflict lasts more than one update.
    The enemy design is nice, and "At once" sure is better than "hail to the void".

It's hard seeing it happens after knowing Danica can pierce through battleships like they were paper bags.

19. - Top - End - #169

You... you've had anti-Sentinel weaponry this whole time?!

Why didn't you give it to the people who were supposed to be fighting the Sentinel?!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post

Why didn't you give it to the people who were supposed to be fighting the Sentinel?!!!!
    I'm more worried about why, when faced with a bunch of guys waaay on the other side of the room who quite visibly had only melee weapons, Danica's first response is to put up a shield and patiently wait for them to talk to their boss and then walk over to her. Rather than, you know, blast them with beam spam while keeping her distance in the long, featureless hallway.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #171

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Seriously though, I hope this conflict lasts more than one update.
    We're on page 18 of a fixed 24 page issue. The conflict might last more than one update but it isn't lasting for much longer.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    I'm more worried about why, when faced with a bunch of guys waaay on the other side of the room who quite visibly had only melee weapons, Danica's first response is to put up a shield and patiently wait for them to talk to their boss and then walk over to her. Rather than, you know, blast them with beam spam while keeping her distance in the long, featureless hallway.
    Uhm.. because Danica is pretty pacifistic reluctant when it comes to blasting her opponents? Also, because DRAMA.

But honestly, I have no idea how this could possibly develop towards a satisfying ending of the chapter. Issue. Whatever.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Uhm.. because Danica is pretty pacifistic reluctant when it comes to blasting her opponents? Also, because DRAMA.

But honestly, I have no idea how this could possibly develop towards a satisfying ending of the chapter. Issue. Whatever.
    Well, VArcha will likely detonate the last bomb while Hop-Frog is working on it. Who will be fastest - Froggy or Mr. RandomEvilDude? DUN DUN DUNNNN!

24. - Top - End - #174

Well, considering how quick she was to betray them, it turned out to be a good decision to keep the best weapons to herself. The bigger question is why she would ally with them in the first place if she was going to massacre them after they made a single blunder, and why they would agree to an alliance with such a psychopath.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Because Mookie just came up with that and decided to hastily put it in to clumsily try to up the tension.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

The only source of tension here is: what new power Mitch is going to magically "unlock" to get her out of this? My money's on a Patronus.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

I've got to say, this is one of the worst action scenes yet.

It doesn't look like they're cutting through her shield, although from inference to previous panels that's clearly what's happening. There isn't the slightest hint of motion or direction in those claws. It looks more like they're standing still and letting Danica raise the shield around the claws.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

So yeah, you could write a comic where this turn of events makes sense. But Mookie isn't going to bother.
    Spoiler: How This Makes Sense
    Show
    As mentioned before, The Countess runs a Space Magic-powered force that is trying to take over Real Space. Having suffered dire losses in the process of dispatching the Good Space Magic people ("SPS") she is now operating through mercenaries that she pays via Space Magic equipment. Since she plans on eventually conquering everyone she'd rather not produce rivals by giving away her best stuff so she only gives them stuff that will give them an edge over their Real Space targets.

The Void Cult is one of the Countess's mercenary factions. While crazy and incompetent, they follow orders fairly well and have managed to perform adequately armed with low-end Space Magic (e.g. Stealth Tech and high-powered munitions). Now, the crazy/incompetent aspect is usually to the Countess's benefit -- they won't see that they're stupid pawns and, if they do turn, they'll be easily wiped out by an organized force. In this case, the Cult isn't doing so well. First, they dispatch grossly inadequate force to take out a new SPS and then follow up by "recruiting" her and taking her into the heart of their power. So, the Countess triggers her contingency plan.

After all, she was planning on taking out the Cult eventually and, as they are crazy/incompetent, it is easily conceivable that they could outlive their usefulness at any time. So the Countess has had a Space Magic Ship with a force of her Space Magic Marines ("Legionnaires") trail the Cultist Flagship in the event they ever needed to be taken out.

The basic contingency plan was as follows: the Legionnaires breach the Cultist Flagship and kill all personnel who know anything about the Countess or her Space Magic. Then they retrieve all Space Magic stored on the flagship (i.e. the best stuff) before destroying it with a Space Magic Bomb. Why? Because that's the only way to be sure that everything and everyone is accounted for.

In this case, the Countess has added an additional detail to her Legionnaires' mission profile: kill the SPS. As veterans of the last Space Magic War, they are well equipped to kill even seasoned SPS and know the full scope of their powers. Unfortunately, you need to get up-close-and-personal to penetrate SPS defenses but, well, the Legionnaires were going to do that anyways.

In a competently written story, the Legionnaires would rip away the Paper Tiger of the Void Angels and force Danica to flee before their superior firepower -- sacrificing the Evil Mooks she swore to protect. This would humble her and cause her to actually think about what it means to be a Hero instead of just drop-kicking everything in her path.

Obviously, this is not going to happen. But I can dream

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

In a competently written story, the Legionnaires would rip away the Paper Tiger of the Void Angels and force Danica to flee before their superior firepower -- sacrificing the Evil Mooks she swore to protect. This would humble her and cause her to actually think about what it means to be a Hero instead of just drop-kicking everything in her path.
    Plus, it helps establish that dropping superpowers on a random person is not necessarily the best idea.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Plus, it helps establish that dropping superpowers on a random person is not necessarily the best idea.
    Which is antithetical to all that Mookie stands for

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad