New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power III: Fail to the Void!

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    We're saying a combination of two things: that with this kind of effect she should be seriously injured, and surprise that she got injured at all.

Obviously she's going to be fine.
    Maybe she'll discover that she's sterile, get an artificial leg and fight with brittle bones.

...that's how you compensate for superpowers, right? Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Oh yeah? Well my finger-swords go through your shields! Neener neener!
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2014-01-25 at 08:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Guys, she just needs to hide behind some cover. Her health should regen pretty quickly.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    If she sent her own troops in, she would tip off the galaxy to her presence. The military would quickly figure out that their is a new hostile force and begin to prepare themselves.
    I might be inclined to believe that, if we'd seen Galactic Defence defending, well, ANYTHING so far. The Void Angels clearly don't give two hoots about them; on multiple occasions, they've attacked a station which has at least one representative of Galactic Defence on board (the Chief), so it's not like they were hitting a civilian target that's outside GD's purview, since he was presumably assigned there and isn't on holiday or something.

That means, either the Chief hasn't got around to telling his bosses that the station has become a magnet for mercenary attacks (which seems unlikely given he's competent at everything else) or Galactic Defence just doesn't care. It can't be because the Chief thinks Danica can protect them; he's eager to keep Danica OUT of Galactic Defence's hands, but he can't handwave the damage to the station, so it would make sense for him to mention this to GD to keep her cover, and just tell Danica to lie low while they're around.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I think that's because he slashed with both hands in both directions.

This reminds me of a scene in Primo Levi's The Truce, where Soviet soldiers from Siberia cut the spinal cords of German soldiers and leave them to die.

From an in-comic perspective, if her back is now broken, she could have a chance for character development. I mean, she could have to figure out how to escape and survive when she doesn't just have overwhelming power.

I suppose she will just discover that she can do something new. SEE THE TRUTH!
    Now I'm confused. No art blooper, no cop out?
    And I'm somewhat curious how this will be resolved. There are 5 pages left, I wonder how they will cram it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Now I'm confused. No art blooper, no cop out?
    And I'm somewhat curious how this will be resolved. There are 5 pages left, I wonder how they will cram it in.
    Page 1: Danica is on the ground helples. Just as the sword finger robot alien guard thing goes to finish her off, we get a vorp angel tackle on the guy while another drags her off.

Page 2: As she is being pulled to safety she watches in horror as the people who were trying to kill her get killed by the people who are trying to kill her because when your enemies fight, thats apparantly a bad thing to her. Add in a few panels of her shouting out no or we have to save them.

Page 3: The vorp angel who dragged her out of there shoves her in an escape pod and launches it, leaving himself behind. Cue more dramatic screaming as she watches through the porthole as the vorp angels ship gets destroyed. She passes out from her injuries. Oh, and through the magic of... well... magic. She isnt targeted by the countess in her little escape pod.

Page 4: The station goes back on alert as they detect an incoming vorp signal. They bring in the escape pod and find danica lying on the ground badly wounded. Cue looks of horror.

Page 5: She is in a hospital bed giving her debriefing, first panel goes something like, "... and then I woke up here." The chief tells her good job and she wallows in her guilt a bit more. Then a single panel cliffhangar. Could be a dramatic line about how the military will finally step in, or could be a splash panel of the countess and her army forming up to invade.
    Last edited by Traab; 2014-01-26 at 07:47 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Page 1: Danica is on the ground helples. Just as the sword finger robot alien guard thing goes to finish her off, we get a vorp angel tackle on the guy while another drags her off.

Page 2: As she is being pulled to safety she watches in horror as the people who were trying to kill her get killed by the people who are trying to kill her because when your enemies fight, thats apparantly a bad thing to her. Add in a few panels of her shouting out no or we have to save them.

Page 3: The vorp angel who dragged her out of there shoves her in an escape pod and launches it, leaving himself behind. Cue more dramatic screaming as she watches through the porthole as the vorp angels ship gets destroyed. She passes out from her injuries. Oh, and through the magic of... well... magic. She isnt targeted by the countess in her little escape pod.

Page 4: The station goes back on alert as they detect an incoming vorp signal. They bring in the escape pod and find danica lying on the ground badly wounded. Cue looks of horror.

Page 5: She is in a hospital bed giving her debriefing, first panel goes something like, "... and then I woke up here." The chief tells her good job and she wallows in her guilt a bit more. Then a single panel cliffhangar. Could be a dramatic line about how the military will finally step in, or could be a splash panel of the countess and her army forming up to invade.
    That would sad ending. Poor Void Angels, their only crime was to be murderers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

8. - Top - End - #218

Admit it though, you can practically SEE this being the end result.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So how long before the Chief and a squad of his crew take that Void ship that's had its bombs defused and jumps out after Danica?

I so could see them picking up Danica in that escape pod after the battle is finished since the Countess didn't tell her troops to hunt down any escape pods since having no ships to pick them up they're left to die...

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

What's with the escape pod ideas? Are we forgetting that we're talking about a Star Sentinel here, who can fly through space at the speed of light, travel between distant stars faster than the speed of light, and tear through battleship hulls like they're made out of butter? An escape pod would be meaningless to her. It wouldn't protect her in any way, and wouldn't stop her from busting out and saving the dumb shmuck that stuck her in there.

I mean, unless she was literally paralyzed by this attack, but Mookie doesn't seem the type to go for permanent, actually debilitating injuries like that. Although then again, maybe she'll get it fixed with nanites or some garbage and continue to whine about how her spine is now half-metal even though it doesn't actually inconvenience her at all.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kwatsu View Post
    I might be inclined to believe that, if we'd seen Galactic Defence defending, well, ANYTHING so far. The Void Angels clearly don't give two hoots about them; on multiple occasions, they've attacked a station which has at least one representative of Galactic Defence on board (the Chief), so it's not like they were hitting a civilian target that's outside GD's purview, since he was presumably assigned there and isn't on holiday or something.

That means, either the Chief hasn't got around to telling his bosses that the station has become a magnet for mercenary attacks (which seems unlikely given he's competent at everything else) or Galactic Defence just doesn't care. It can't be because the Chief thinks Danica can protect them; he's eager to keep Danica OUT of Galactic Defence's hands, but he can't handwave the damage to the station, so it would make sense for him to mention this to GD to keep her cover, and just tell Danica to lie low while they're around.
    Well, just because the military is incompetent does not undermine the merit of the countess's plan. In only means that she grossly over-estimated her enemy, assuming they were competent, and the galaxy is probably doomed

Though seriously, the lack of the military is indeed a glaring issue. There really is not a reason at all why the military has not been seen or heard from, especially when you consider that the station is the all so important source of galatic data. I mean the military should probably have forces that could arrive in a single jump, and should have sent forces to investigate after the first attack. Heck it could have added something interesting to 2nd chapter, as the military would arrive to the station to investigate what happened and the chief would be trying to keep Danica hidden because of what he knows would happen if they found out about her.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2014-01-26 at 06:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

So, this happened.

Void Archangel, activate the self-destruct. You already seem willing to blow up your own ships, at least now it will serve a tactical purpose.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Vile hypocrite? Hypocrite for doing what exactly? Did the vorp's have some kind of "no man left behind" protocol? cause it seems like "failure means death" is the standard around them... With how he was so ready to dispose of his first group that failed him it seems like execution for failure would be common amongst their ranks. Why rebel now?

Really, i feel like we missed a page here.

In a way it DOES seem reasonably that they would revolt, but at the same time it begs the question why they never revolted before. You kinda of have to ask why they would ever get started in an outfit like this if they cared about about the lives of others. Heck the one guy his calling his commander "vile" and yet these same troops would not hesitate for a second to blow up an entire space station of civilians.

I mean think of how other minions work out... Many are just too afraid of their boss to ever rebel. Others are just as vile as their boss so they don't care if minions get executed. And Some are honestly loyal no matter how despicable their boss.... In a way you can get why the minions would not rebel. If they don't fit the minion role, then you have to ask why they follow the villain in the first place.

14. - Top - End - #224

GnomeWizardGuy

Some minions just want to party.
    Spoiler: Wooooo (epilepsy warning?)
    Show

(I don't know why I made that...)

edit: V: fair enough. Don't want a stupid GIF to actively hurt someone.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2014-01-27 at 01:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

whoa Trazoi, be careful, I think that thing needs an epilepsy warning...

what? just saying...
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #226
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Vile hypocrite? Hypocrite for doing what exactly?
    I guess he's a hypocrite for running away instead of applying that "failure means death" thing to himself.

17. - Top - End - #227

Wooo hoooo! Me too! Mookie Disco Epilepsy!

Spoiler: Warning: contains Mookie, War in Hell and Flashing lights!
    Show

Not made by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Permanent link for posterity.

Spoiler
    Show
    SHHWIIISH!

FWEEEN! ZAP!

SHHHHRRRAAAK!! "AAAAAGH!" "AAAAAGH!"

SHLIKT! SHLIKT! SHLIKT! "Too aaaaah!"

SHLIKT! SHLIKT! "AAAAAAAGH!"

Avatar by Tom Siddell, author and artist of Gunnerkrigg Court.

19. - Top - End - #229

NecromancerGuy

Was waiting for the tension killer. Lunica being struck from behind multiple times and having slash marks about her spine but just treating it was "don't be scared of the pain" will do it.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually like this - the...whatevers, are actually a genuine threat and feel like one. Danica can't just kill them like the others, and her plan to let the void angels escape isn't working, except for the one guy she doesn't want to escape (50/50 as to whether he will or not). There's still lots of potential for snark here, but there's also the potential for...and I hesitate to utter this word in a Mookie thread...tension!

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

I'll give him that... Danica failing like that is somewhat unexpected. We know SHE'll make it but the angels seems pretty much crushed. Though, I do wonder what kind of armor makes you tougher than a spacecraft.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

22. - Top - End - #232

I want to know why claw strikes turned the metal door into a pipe bomb. Thats a lot of deadly shrapnel impaling people from a slice. Also, thank god these star power killing aliens have no ranged weapons.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, even if the pieces don't make sense, at least there's potential for tension now, right?

Though now I'm questioning the role of Void Angels in all this.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Hey, even if the pieces don't make sense, at least there's potential for tension now, right?

Though now I'm questioning the role of Void Angels in all this.
    Given their client and their boss have just flung them under a bus, and they're being ripped apart by bizarre aliens after recruiting the person they were supposed to be killing (AND after bombs were hidden on their battleships without them knowing) I imagine the Voidies themselves are asking a similar question.

25. - Top - End - #235

Well, I like the fact the same threat has lasted a few pages now. In a typical Dominic Deegan story we would have had several threats be puffed up and deflated by nonsense in the same time span.

The main problem with this is that the only reason there's tension is that Danica is acting stupid. She still has no stake in this fight; it's her enemies fighting each other. She should have used the confusion to kill or incapacitate Archvorp, dismantle the shipnearthestationblowup mechanism (if possible) and then leave. But that would have been easier, thus less tension.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

These guys may be the best in hand to claw combat but how seriously can we take them if that's all they're good for? It'll take them years just to conquer exterminate a single planet (unless their numbers are humongous). Sure they're scary in the gladiatorial ring but they'd be microbes in a galaxy wide war.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    These guys may be the best in hand to claw combat but how seriously can we take them if that's all they're good for? It'll take them years just to conquer exterminate a single planet (unless their numbers are humongous). Sure they're scary in the gladiatorial ring but they'd be microbes in a galaxy wide war.
    How many people are you going to get to volunteer to be the planet that is exterminated to stave off the enemy for a year?

I'm fairly certain their ships have ship to ship weapons, seeing how that fight from the previous invasion we saw was taking place in space.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2014-01-27 at 12:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    <snip>
    I predict this will end with a 'Hail to the Sentinel*'.

*Deegan
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2014-01-27 at 01:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    How many people are you going to get to volunteer to be the planet that is exterminated to stave off the enemy for a year?

I'm fairly certain their ships have ship to ship weapons, seeing how that fight from the previous invasion we saw was taking place in space.
    This millenia their ship to ship technique is similar to their hand to hand technique: ramming and even uses disposable ships in the bargain.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    This millenia their ship to ship technique is similar to their hand to hand technique: ramming and even uses disposable ships in the bargain.
    This is just standard villain fare. The Countess needs to appear to be so overpowering that her troops can afford to use hand-to-hand combat and still come out overwhelmingly ahead in this fight. We'll see them use legitimate weapons later. It's by no means good writing, but I don't think this fight is intended to be representative of the best weaponry they have available