New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS characters as Magic Cards

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    I can't see Elan as pure blue. Blue is about intelligence, subtlety, control, and manipulation. None of those are Elan's strengths. The first ability you gave him doesn't really strike me as blue, either.

I think V's ability to Fork every Instant and Sorcery spell is way too powerful.
    Nah, the fact that you have to actually pay mana costs and tap him balances V. Elan's way out of color, though.

I'd personally argue that any Haley card should be Black, as well.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Yeah, I didn't know what color for Elan at all. I feel like he defies a normal color convention. I do think blue is a good color for bards in general though - trickery, illusions, and cunning. It's just Elan isn't your typical bard. Maybe white for the team buffs, red for the chaos? Green and black don't really mix in there though.

I do think V is powerful, but not necessarily overpowered. The fork ability is modeled after Mirari (pay 3) and Nivix Guildmage (2UR). The scarier ability I think is the ability to turn any card into a counterspell.
    Last edited by mcl01; 2014-02-08 at 01:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mcl01 View Post
    I feel like he defies a normal color convention.
    Really? He looks like the most clear-cut character in the Order at a shoo-in for red to me.

4. - Top - End - #514

Color analysis--

Roy is very white, probably with a tinge of Green or Blue.

Durkon is pure White.

Durkula is Black, due to being a Vampire, but probably with a bit of White in him.

Vaarsuvius is Blue at her core, but with either Red or Black depending on where in the story she is.

Elan is very easily Red, with Green or White as a secondary color.

Haley is Black; depending on which aspect of 'thief' you want to go with, she may be straight Black, black-red, or black-blue, but she's Black at her core.

Belkar is harder to pin down, but he bounces around the three Jund colors--Green, Red, and Black--depending on which of his abilities you want to use for him.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Show

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

5. - Top - End - #515

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Nah, the fact that you have to actually pay mana costs and tap him balances V. Elan's way out of color, though.

I'd personally argue that any Haley card should be Black, as well.
    You don't really need to tap V. Every time you cast an instant or sorcery, he untaps and so the only limit is your mana.
    Last edited by orrion; 2014-02-08 at 01:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

You don't really need to tap V. Every time you cast an instant or sorcery, he untaps and so the only limit is your mana.
    See the other two cards I mentioned - Mirari and Nivix Guildmage. Neither of those tap for the same effect.

7. - Top - End - #517

Two qualifiers there:

She does not have haste, and thus has to wait until your next turn before being usable as a Fork.

Also, the fact that she has to tap to use the ability means that she can't fork something multiple times without other factors coming into play.

Show

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Color analysis--

Durkon is pure White.

Durkula is Black, due to being a Vampire, but probably with a bit of White in him.

Vaarsuvius is Blue at her core, but with either Red or Black depending on where in the story she is.

Haley is Black; depending on which aspect of 'thief' you want to go with, she may be straight Black, black-red, or black-blue, but she's Black at her core.

Belkar is harder to pin down, but he bounces around the three Jund colors--Green, Red, and Black--depending on which of his abilities you want to use for him.
    I say Haley is black blue, going with the theme of rogues. Durkula is probably black white, as he is a vampire that is partly good, and as of Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, black white vampires exist. Roy is probably white red or white green, because of the goodness and warrior side of him.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Color analysis--

Durkon is pure White.

I think that is mostly the way I would color them, too.

Belkar starts clearly as Black/Red, but starts shifting away from Black in a greenish direction.

The thing I would most disagree is pinning Haley as bluish - I can't really see the connection there. If I would use a third color it would be white because of the Resistance and stuff.

Elan might be somewhat problematic since some of his abilities (especially the illusion stuff) would be only really fitting for blue, but I don't see Elan really being blue from a flavor perspective.

To the most recent cards:

I don't like Haley's Hexproof. I think it is a try to display her Evasion, but we see here not only not dodging targeted stuff (518), but also dodging stuff that is not targeted (98). Also her second ability is worded horribly confusing. It should read "Whenever ~ attacks and isn't blocked, you may have it deal damage equal to its power plus two to target blocking creature. If you do, ~ assigns no combat damage this turn."

Roy's "T:Stifle" doesn't fit the color pie, and I think the other ability should maybe only add a counter if any damage is prevented (with the current wording you can simple tap him to add one counter to Roy). At least I think that was the intended effect.

And yeah, +X/+X is just way outside of blue. On top of that the ability is imo too complicated. I don't mind complicated cards myself - but figuring out which creature gets how much bonus is just horribly if you don't have a straight-forward tribal deck.

V is fine imo. Yes forking stuff is nice, but for example there is Meletis Charlatan, which can also Fork with a tap ability. Sure the Charlatan is far worse, but it costs less mana, is mono color and has a much better body. (In fact in limited you can play him even just for its body!)

And yes it is possibly to Fork a single spell somewhat multiple times, but you can basically do it only once each turn or with additional instants you don't want to copy. You can cast a spell and in response to the untap ability with Forking once. After the untap you can Fork a second time.

Maybe it would be better to get rid of the untap ability. The card is pretty flexible even without it, and it would reduce potential abuse and would make the card easier to play with.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #520
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

anybody see that deadly snarl in the fabric of reality, also laurins favor

11. - Top - End - #521
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Omg Durkula Is Eviiiil

12. - Top - End - #522
    Barbarian in the Playground

And there goes my lunch hour, playing with that website.

As before, more interested in the theme and concepts than actual balance. They're probably not balanced (being all equal cost).

13. - Top - End - #523
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

i cant see them????

14. - Top - End - #524
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Waaaaaay too much text. 8 lines max

Also without a keyword, Sacrifice all power source enchantments you control means nothing within the context of the game.

And really they're all just too damn wordy and confusing. Just not good game design at all.
    Last edited by DoctorWhooves; 2014-02-22 at 03:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Ritual of Power
    Sacrifice ~: Reveal a nonland card in your hand. Tap any number of untapped creatures you control. You may cast the revealed card without paying its mana cost if you tapped X creatures, where X is the revealed card's converted mana cost. This spell cannot be the target of spells or abilities.

Ritual of Preparation
    Add one to your maximum hand size.
    Play with the top card of your library revealed. You may cast it if it's a blue card.

Ritual of Necromastery
    B: Exile a card from a graveyard. Reveal the top card of your library. If the card is black, put it in your hand. Otherwise, put it into your graveyard. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only once per turn.

Ritual of Innateness
    Reveal a green card from your hand: Add GG to your mana pool. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only once per turn.

Ritual of Meditation
    During your upkeep, add a meditation counter to ~.
    Remove any number of meditation counters from ~: Search your library for a white card with converted mana cost equal to the number of meditation counters removed from ~ and reveal it to your opponents, then put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

Ritual of Arcanery
    Red instants and sorceries you control cost 1 less to cast.
    Your maximum hand size is 4.
    During your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a red instant or sorcery card, put it into your hand. Otherwise, put it into your graveyard.

Did my best to clean them up and remove some restrictions that were just unnecessary.

That being said, white is barely flavored properly and some of them are way better than others. They would all need varying costs to be balanced.
    Last edited by DoctorWhooves; 2014-02-22 at 03:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Breccia:
    Some have reasonable amounts of text, but some have a little too much. If a card has that much text, it never has flavor text. Also, a lot of the wording is off.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

17. - Top - End - #527

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhooves View Post
    They would all need varying costs to be balanced.
    Oh, absolutely. I was mostly trying to get the various spellcaster "feels" in a way that fit the color themes. The exception was black, which I made because I wanted something black to balance the others. And, yes, they're exceptionally wordy because of that approach -- none of these would make it to the real game in their listed version.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

so anyone want to write up thor and odin and hel and loki???

19. - Top - End - #529
    Halfling in the Playground

What about the Eye of Fear and Flame (OOTS version)? What cards would be needed to portray him, both as a 'functional battlefield asset' and as Belkar's battlefield asset?

20. - Top - End - #530
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

The Eye of Fear and Flame - 4

Artifact - Equipment

Living Weapon, Equip 4

Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has:
    2R,TAP: TEOFAF deals 2 damage to target creature
    1B,TAP: Target creature gains Fear UET

What do you think?
    Last edited by Toon Fighter; 2014-03-13 at 05:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Halfling in the Playground

That works.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Shouldn't there be a chance the EoFaF will turn on its user, since that actually happened?

23. - Top - End - #533
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

we are back and stuff

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thatonesungod View Post
    we are back and stuff
    Indeedy. Anyone have any ideas for Durkon's mom? What's the best way to show her handicap?

Peelee’s Lotsey

25. - Top - End - #535

I apologise for bumping a fairly old thread - I think this topic still has life in it. If I shouldn't have done that, I'm sorry and I'll be available for slapping for the rest of the day. But I really wanted to stat out Durkon's mother. I just didn't get around to it when the thread was more active, and then I forgot about it.

The only one-armed creature I could think off of the top of my head was Gnarled Scarhide, who can't block. Hundred-Handed One, meanwhile, has additional arms and can block additional creatures, so I imagine it makes sense to represent a missing limb as leading to difficulty in combat.

So here's my try. She can block and attack (willpower and training go a long way) but at a cost. Her ability riffs off of Dwarven Lieutenant, and she makes Dwarf EDH less awful, which is all I ever wanted. Her mana cost might be a little on the low side, but to use her properly you need a ton of mana anyway, and most other dwarves are pretty terrible.