1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: OOTS characters as Magic Cards

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    More cards!

Talisman of Dorukan
    Artifact

When Talisman of Dorukan enters play, name a card set (IE: Tempest).

Creatures from that set cannot attack you, and spells from that set may not be cast on you.

5: Return Talisman of Dorukan to owner's hand.

"A mighty relic."
    I especially like this one!

Continuing:

Fyron's Crown
    Artifact - Equipment
    Equipped creature becomes black.
    Equip 1.
    This crown is not magic, but it makes its owner look REALLY badass
    ---
    Miron Shewdanker
    1(R/B)(R/B)
    Legendary Creature - Human Sorcerer

If Miron Shewdanker would take lethal damage, you may choose to pay RB. If you do, exile Miron Shewdanker. On your next upkeep phase, put Miron Shewdanker back in play.

2/2
    ---
    Plane Shift
    3WW
    Sorcery
    Choose one: exile target creature; or put target exiled creature back in play tapped.
    ---
    Phylactery
    2BB
    Enchantment
    Enchanted creature has: "If this creature would be sent to a graveyard, put it back into play with X-1 -1/-0 counters and Y-1 -0/-1 counters, where X is this creature's power and Y is this creature's toughness.
    1, tap: Remove a counter from this creature."
    Last edited by Cerussite; 2014-01-12 at 01:19 AM.
    I'm a paladin. I'm immune to fear. If you see me running, you'd better keep up.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Actually I just had a thought on Famlicide, the wording on this is a nightmere but I think it fits the full effect that we saw in the comic.

Famlicide 3B

Exile target creature.

Whenever a creature is exiled from anywhere with this card, exile all creature cards on the battlefield, then search all players hand's, graveyards and libraries and exile any creature cards that share a type with that creature.

If I remember the rules right..this should cause a cascade that removes any "relatives" of the original card, and their "relatives" and so forth until you run out of cards that share creature types.

No one in their right mind would ever PLAY this card though as due to its complexity it would be a PITA to actually use however in a multiplayer game or commander game, it should cause a nice domino effect that ends with a lot of peoples creatures removed, especially if you put a changeling in your deck.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Seems a little too expensive. Extinction - destroy all creatures of 1 type - is only 4B, and in general the secondary effect is either going to be moot screw the guy casting it. You don't see a lot of decks where there's "Human Wizard" and then "Zombie Wizard" and then "Zombie Minotaur." Cards like that are usually to counter theme decks like Soldier decks or Sliver decks.
    Familicide is strictly better than extinction: most of the time, you'll be getting rid of two types straight out, and maybe more. It's probably not worth the extra cost in the end - and indeed, that matches its usage in the comic.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

What the hell, here's a few more. They all have Morph, because they all represent things that came up rather suddenly. Like my previous cards, their powers are based on their appearance in the strip more than any specific M:tG utility, so they're likely not 100% balanced.

Mistreated Flumph
    Creature - Flumph 1W
    1/2
    Morph: WW. When you pay the Morph cost, prevent the next four damage to target creature or player this turn.
    Tap: Prevent the next 3 damage dealt this turn to target creature with flying.

Runes of Double Fantasy
    Creature - Legendary Wall 2U
    0/7 Defender (like all walls)
    You may choose not to untap Runes of Double Fantasy during your untap phase.
    Morph: XUU. When you pay the Morph cost during an opponent's attack phase, but before blockers are declared, tap Runes of Double Fantasy and up to X target creatures attacking you. These creatures are removed from the attack, and do not untap in their controller's untap phase, until Runes of Double Fantasy leaves play or becomes untapped.

Elven Liberation Soldiers
    Creature -- Elf Soldier 2G
    1/3 First Strike
    Morph: 2GG. When you pay the Morph cost, all your white, blue and green creatures get +1/+1 until the end of the turn.
    If Elven Liberation Soldiers attacks and is not blocked, you may choose to turn it face-down at the end of the turn.

Explosive Runes
    Creature -- Wall R
    0/1 Defender (like all walls)
    Morph: R
    When Explosive Runes is assigned as a blocker, it does 3 damage to each creature it blocks, then is immediately put in the graveyard.
    If any spell or effect controlled by an opponent allows them to look at Explosive Runes while it is in your hand, or face-down in play, Explosive Runes does 4 damage to them and then is immediately put in the graveyard.

Zombie Dragon Head
    Creature -- Zombie Dragon 1B
    1/2
    Morph: Remove a dragon card in your graveyard from the game. When you pay the Morph cost, Zombie Dragon Head does 4 damage to target creature without flying.
    (Note: this card is intentionally added as a possible target for Familicide spells earlier in the thread)

Piston Pit Trap
    Artifact Creature 4
    2/4 Defender Reach
    All Rogues have protection from Piston Pit Traps.
    Morph: 3. When you pay the Morph cost, target creature blocked by Piston Pit Trap is returned to its owner's hand.
    3,tap: Turn Piston Pit Trap face-down.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Famlicide 3B

Exile target creature.

Whenever a creature is exiled from anywhere with this card, exile all creature cards on the battlefield, then search all players hand's, graveyards and libraries and exile any creature cards that share a type with that creature.
    It's not legal--other player's hands and libraries are hidden zones and you're not permitted to see them; knowing everything in their library would be a huge advantage for you. You can get *them* to search their hands and libraries, but they're not actually required to find anything when they do so, so there would be no advantage whatsoever to actually casting this spell.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It's not legal--other player's hands and libraries are hidden zones and you're not permitted to see them; knowing everything in their library would be a huge advantage for you. You can get *them* to search their hands and libraries, but they're not actually required to find anything when they do so, so there would be no advantage whatsoever to actually casting this spell.

All of these cards let you either search an opponents Library or Hand....

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Se...5D+%5Bexile%5D
    Quote Originally Posted by Garazza
    You seem to be a jack of all trades. You can discuss most anything and play most card games.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Cat View Post
    All of these cards let you either search an opponents Library or Hand....

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Se...5D+%5Bexile%5D
    that list misses Bribery and Acquire for some reason.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As far as that debate earlier about the IFCC's colors goes, I think it's a moot point. They seem very likely to be "cardless characters" to me.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah, I added Exile in the search by mistake, Bribery let's you play it so I would assume that's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garazza
    You seem to be a jack of all trades. You can discuss most anything and play most card games.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground

It also misses Quash.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    That is one of the brokenest cards I have ever seen. It is imo way better than the Moxen, maybe even better than any of the Power 9.
    This is quite true, and i agree, i will change it

Maybe more of a "Magic-flavor" thing, but imo a Ring of Jumping in Magic should give the ability to jump - which is a nickname of given a creature Flying until end of turn [there is even the card "Jump" which does exactly do that]. So I would change it "Equipped creature has "1: This gains Flying until end of turn." (Still probably a bit weak)
    Personally i saw the ring of jumping as reach cause it allowed roy to get to the dragon, but then when he fell off he died, and while belkar had it he never used it to get past anyone

Doesn't seem green to me, I would make it a blue spell.
    its green because the primary creature who cast's it(the green hag person) is green

I think the effect is too powerful, outside of red haste is quite rare, so I think it is more powerful than Moat (and that doesn't grant Hexproof and is symmetric)
    You are right, i will change it

Seems to powerful to me, and is way out of limit of the Color Pie imo. While colorless can deal damage to creatures, it is massively overcosted. Just compare it to Flamecast Wheel, an Artifact for 1 with "5,T, Sac: Deals 3 damage to target creature.", which was printed in Theros. With the Untap-ability it can get pretty ridiculous, too. And on top of it is has the problem that lands generally should have abilities to make mana.
    Personally i like path of crushing doom as a mythic bomb

I think you are doing way too much hexproof stuff. Since hexproof is a keyword it appeared 54 times until now (and that includes all mentions of the word, so some of it only works until end of turn or with other limitations or even only cares about hexproof without having/granting it). I'm not sure exactly was what the first time (Scars of Mirrodin? so about 3 years ago? So probably more than 2000 cards). And that includes even some older cards with changed Oracle wording. And giving libraries hexproof doesn't do anything, since there isn't any spell that targets libraries (you could change it to "You have hexproof" - but that alone is is probably too good for 3 mana)
    This is true, i will change it, but i havent used hexproof THAT much

There is a 3G 3/3 with hexproof. Adding 6 power on top of that seems kinda broken (ok, the tokens have defender, but imo still way to good)
    ur right about this, ill probably reduce the amount of tokens or their power

I really don't know how that is a black card. Should be blue.
    ur right, its black because i am unable to type correctly

And I thought Murderous Redcap was a good card.
    yea i should probs reduce the mana cost, maybe BR

A 5/5 for 5 with a drawback? That is probably the worst creature that would be printed in the last 5 years. Ok, that is exaggeration - but I think most cards are rather on the weak side, and this is the prime example.
    true, he should cost less, but azure city belkar is going to be way harder to play

Also your Ninjutsu costs should imo include colored mana.
    what does that have to do with belkar

The "T: Gain 2 life" is imo really strange. I think I would do something like "RG,T: Put a token into play that is a copy of this." (also the card is missing its mana costs, I would probably put it at 3RG with that ability, otherwise 2RG is fine).
    ur missing the point, the point is that hydra is taken captive and everyone eats it

This Scry/Mill combination is just strange imo. It basically is better version of Scy and much more complicated with little gain. I also don't know why you need to restrict the untap ability to your opponents end step.
    Its an oracle, u dont need to understand it

This is at least a 3/3 for G (since you can cast it for X=0), which is just way too good. Either you need to add some more mana or at least limit it to X>=3 or something like that.
    Yup, i should increase the mana cost

I'm not sure what you want it to do (possible some sort of Duplicant), but as it is worded it is just a overcosted mono-black Clone. (Maybe you probably want something like the already existing card Evil Twin)
    Im about as sure as you are, the cards wording was because of the whole nale swaps with elan, arc

First of all this feels more like a white card. And than it is most likely be used to exile your own creatures repeatable to abuse comes/leaves play abilities. (So maybe limit it to opponents creatures.)
    im going to limit it to opponents creatures but at this point the mitd is undeniably black

I think it could work as a WG creature, but fighting in UW is definitely outside the Color Pie
    Ur missing the point for these creatures, the order of the stick is fighting for the azure city here, which i percieve as highly blue, and ad to that the fact that i want all the oots in every set to be playable in a 2 color deck

That is way too good and outside the Color Pie. This is repeatable creature kill in a color that can't kill creatures and a undercosted aggressive creature in a color that has the worst creatures ever. (I'm not even sure if blue has a bear! [2/2 for 1U])
    The dashing swordsman is supposed to be overpowered per this arc

The activated abilities are just outside of blue. I think the card would be fine if the first would cost 1G and the second 1R (or maybe RU)
    see roy comment

All in all: I think some cards have just the wrong colors (at least from a Magic perspective). I have the feeling that most cards are a bit weak, but there are some cards that are just over the top - and some pretty clearly. As I said, Small Town could probably be the brokenest card in Magic, and you don't want a card that has a chance to win that title.[/QUOTE]

I agree with u on a bunch of things and appreciate the chriticism

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Likely from the idea that her bow now fires arrows that have a chance to freeze the target.
    Actually it was because she was fighting for the AZURE "blue" city

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthaur View Post
    Wow, haven't used this account in a while. This topic brings tears of joy to my heart, because I was honestly thinking about figuring out a way to play D&D with Alignment replaced by your colors. And I think there's infinite methods of CARDing these guys, and it's loads and loads of fun.

Hrm, why don't I give it a shot... Forgive my formatting, I've been out of the game for a while.

Red is chaos, passion, and fire. Of those, passion is kind of fitting for Tarquin, but the others don't feel that way. Black is ambition, hate, cruelty, capitalism and honestly if I come up with more that'll feel entirely too obvious. Tarquin is primarily black, but I think with a smidgeon of white- yes, white. White is Order, Law, Obedience, and goodness kind of, which fits the Lawful nature of Tarquin. However, he's more evil than not, so yeah.

The problem is, the chaotic ability he has -is- definitely a red ability. That means that for it to work if you made him 1WBB (as I would, since he's costed pretty aggressively), we'd have to change it up slightly. I'd give him equipment personally so here we go...

I -really- love his P/T, by the way- he is a defensive fighter but still has quite a bit of nasty to him.

I would do it something like this.

General Tarquin
    1WBB
    Legendary Human Warrior Lord
    3/5
    During your draw step, you may forgo drawing a card and instead search your library for an artifact and put it into your hand.
    1WB: Tarquin gains protection from a color of your choice until the end of turn.
    1: Tarquin becomes the color of your choice until the end of turn.

This fits with his "I'm always prepared" thing. It is a nasty bit of work, since there's some gamebreaking artifacts and equipment you could find. He feels like he should have something more aggressive (I do like that about your version) but I'm thinking he's okay as he's costed. And white has an "equipment cares" piece of the color pie, so that fits too. Changing colors is usually blue, but it's mostly flavor and eh. Gaining protection (at a pretty heftyish cost, no less) is pretty good but not brutal as there are answers.

Now, lets go with Laurin.

Psychic powers are blue. I think everyone in Tarquin's group probably qualifies as WB (with the possible exception of Malack), so to distinguish her I'd make her blue. Also, I think every psychic has a creature-type of Wizard (although I'd have to check and this is the wife's comp, so no apprentice searches for me!) but that's not really relevant since they won't be tribal.

You nailed the ability, though. That is the epitome of a Black ability, and really rocks. But hrm, how to represent that Psions are better at the start of... nevermind, got it, based on cards in hand. Okay.

Laurin Shattersmith
    X/3
    3UB
    Legendary Human Psion
    X is equal to the number of cards in your hand.
    Shroud
    2UB: Draw a card.
    T: Laurin deals her power in damage to target creature.

Enables her to nastily snipe through people, avoids getting hit with spells due to her propensity for counterspells (mechanically, Shroud), and even has an overcosted card drawing engine attached to her to improve her power slightly.

Malack... well, cleric vampires have lots of strengths and powers so it's hard as hell to figure it out (I like how you did sun immunity! Goodness, that is elegant). I'd probably end up dropping it and doing something weirder, since vampires in Magic almost always got stronger when killing things. On the other hand, Malack tends to grab Thralls, so there's that. Hrm.

Honestly, since he has a ludicrously high ECL just by raw non-class levels there's a part of me that'd make him kind of an endgame finisher nasty critter. Here's a quick shot at it.

Malack
    3BBB
    Legendary Lizard Vampire Cleric
    8/5
    Wither (This creature deals damage to other creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters)
    Whenever a creature with -1/-1 counters is put in the graveyard, return it to play at the end of turn under your control. It is a Black Vampire in addition to its other types and colors.
    When Malack dies, all vampires return to the control of their owner.
    BBB, Pay 2 life: Regenerate Malack.

There. Six mana is a bit overkill but he finishes games pretty solidly. I think, anyway.

Wow, this is fun. For the record, your interpretations are equally valid (if not moreso) since color, like alignment, is a spectrum, and again, these guys qualify for infinite cards of value.
    Put the artifact on top of your library, not in your hand. That way you are sacrificing card advantage. Fetch abilities are really powerful. It should also tap him, I think. This could lead to some pretty unstoppable combos. Especially since he can't really be killed by 'target' cards.
    Last edited by SowZ; 2014-01-12 at 09:49 AM.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

Factotum--Black rather explicitly has effects that let you search your opponent's hand/library for cards and get rid of them, forever. Memoricide and Thought Hemorrhage are two very iconic examples from recent years.

Now, one of the things I think a lot of people are missing as far as classification goes is that every healthy mortal soul consists of elements of all five colors of mana; your casting costs is just the color or colors you align with most strongly. I actually did a bit of a writeup on the colors a bit ago, give me a second to find it:

White is the color of holy magic, of law, order, and religion, of duty and, to some extent, loyalty. White is also the color of tyranny, of oppression, of dictatorship; White seeks to impose its own moral framework on the universe, which can be good or evil, depending. At its best, White is selfless, inclusive, loyal, and hopeful, the color of healing and structure; at its worst, White is judgmental, oppressive, and constricting, the color of blind obedience. White is the color of both Paladins and Dictators. Most overtly religious concepts align White.

White's allied colors are Green and Blue. White gets along with Green because of its nurturing nature and emphasis on another kind of order (the natural kind) while Blue's orderly thought processes attract it to a long-standing alliance. White rejects Red's chaos and impulsivity, as well as Black's individualism and idealization of the self.

Good White characters in popular fiction include Captain America and Nick Fury from Marvel's super hero roster, as well as Kirk from Star Trek and Shepherd Book from Firefly. Evil White characters in popular fiction include Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter and the Operative from Firefly.

Politically, the most White ideologies are liberalism and socialism.

Blue is the color of intellect, of science and experimentation, of the mind, of pure thought. Blue seeks above all other things to understand, and through that understanding glimpse the true nature of things. At its best, Blue is inquisitive, curious, and celebratory of the glory of knowledge; at its worst, Blue is withdrawn, misanthropic, and detached from emotion. Blue is, obviously, the color of science, as well as the common concept of the wizard. Most studious personalities align Blue or partly Blue. Elemental water or ice, or magickal powers over those, will also align a character Blue.

Blue's allied colors are White and Black. Blue gets along well with White’s devotion to reasonable and orderly conduct, and Black’s devotion to control over oneself and influence over one’s surrounding personalities. Blue rejects Red's chaos and passion, and Green's refusal to alter the natural order of things when improvements should be obvious.

Good Blue characters from popular fiction include Spock from Star Trek and Tony Stark from Marvel's roster (who aligns secondarily Red). Evil Blue characters from popular fiction include the Auditors from Discworld (who align White as well) and...well, pretty much ANY evil Mad Scientist character, take your pick.

Blue, like Green, is barely political in any way, and aligns most closely with philosophical ideas such as the Determinism/Free Will dichotomy (and which side of that divide the Blue character falls on may determine whether their secondary color is White/Green--for Determinism--or Black/Red, for Free Will).

Black is about the self. Self-empowerment, self-actualization; Black is the color of individualism and self-determination, and actively rejects others' restrictions on its own potential. Black is a color of extremes; naturally, it must be said that Black is a tightrope walk over an abyss of greed and corruption; Black lends itself naturally to megalomania or outright villainy, and the vast majority of Black-aligned characters in popular fiction are villains. However, a Black character who maintains a moral compass (generally, by applying that attitude towards being allowed to achieve to everyone they meet) and masters his or her own impulses is unfailingly reliable and undyingly loyal, and befriending a Good-aligned Black character means you have an ally who will, quite literally, do almost anything for you. Black is the color of merchants, but Black is often tagged onto another color as a modifier for the outlook on life that that person has. Death magic and necromancy are Black.

Black's allied colors are Blue and Red. Black gets along well with Blue's rationality and pragmatism, and with Red's passion and joy in life, but rejects White's imposed order and Green's sublimation to a different kind of order--the natural.

Good Black characters from popular fiction include Severus Snape and Horace Slughorn from Harry Potter, Death and his family from the Discworld series, Harvey Specter from Suits, and Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly. Evil Black characters are too numerous to truly cover, but Voldemort from Harry Potter and Khan from Star Trek (both versions of the character) are good examples, especially the latter for his nuance and complexity.

Politically, the most Black ideologies are conservatism and capitalism.

Red is about passion and chaos. Red is the spirit of the flame, those who burn hot, and quick, who throw themselves into everything they do with wild abandon. At its best, Red is a celebration of life and love, of the senses, of everything positive in life; at its worst, Red is heedlessly or gleefully destructive, caring only about the joy of the moment with no regard for others or even the self. Red (with a little Blue) is the artist and the thief. Fire magic is, inherently, a Red modifier to a character.

Red's allied colors are Green and Black. Red gets along well with Black's emphasis on freedom and with Green's devotion to the natural flow of life, and rejects White and Blue's impositions of order upon its wonderful, wild existence.

Good Red characters in popular fiction include Tony Stark (he is VERY evenly divided between Blue and Red) of Marvel fame, Eren Jaeger of Attack on Titan, and Sirius Black and Rubeus Hagrid of Harry Potter (the latter of whom has an equal Green alignment). Evil Red characters in popular fiction include Majin Buu of Dragon Ball and Bellatrix Lestrange of Harry Potter (who dips into Black).

Politically, the only truly Red ideology is anarchy.

Green is on the surface about peace and harmony, and underneath that, about the natural order of things. Green is a believer in life's beauty; Green is about the birdsong, the earth between your toes, living in harmony with those around you, but it is not often tolerant of those who differ from its own value set. At its best, Green is healing, nurturing, and harmonious; at its worst, Green is stagnant and xenophobic, tearing down anything that alters what it regards as natural and beautiful. Green is, naturally, the color of environmentalism, of zookeepers and farmers and those who care for flora and fauna. Nature magic is inherently Green.

Green's allied colors are White and Red. Green gets along well with Red's devotion to what comes naturally, and with White's devotion to peace and order; Green rejects Blue's cold rationality and Black's devotion to personal greatness over common harmony.

Good Green characters in popular fiction include Inara from Firefly, Legolas from the Lord of the Rings, and the Hulk half of the Hulk/Banner persona (representing instinct and raw ferocity over the very Blue scientist Bruce Banner). Evil Green characters in popular fiction include Poison Ivy from Batman and Cell from Dragon Ball (who also aligns Blue).

Green, like Blue, has very little to do with politics, as that's largely a construction of society; Green tends towards environmental activism.

By this scale, Tarquin aligns very White, and is a very good example of how Black and White are philosophies that can fall on either side of the Good/Evil alignment dichotomy. For the Order, Roy aligns anywhere on the Bant shard that you like to place him, I'm open to that debate; Vaarsuvius is Blue, with shades of Red or Black depending on the point in the story; Belkar Red and Black; Haley is a prime example of a character who aligns wholly or partially Black being absolutely one of the good guys; Durkon is White, and Durkula is Black inherently due to being a vampire; and Elan is Red, with the potential for a bit of Green. I'd also like to point out that the process of becoming a Paladin appears to remove all traces of Black from your alignment; you lose your sense of fear and self-preservation over any concerns of the safety of others.
    Last edited by Loreweaver15; 2014-01-12 at 12:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Factotum--Black rather explicitly has effects that let you search your opponent's hand/library for cards and get rid of them, forever. Memoricide and Thought Hemorrhage are two very iconic examples from recent years.

Now, one of the things I think a lot of people are missing as far as classification goes is that every healthy mortal soul consists of elements of all five colors of mana; your casting costs is just the color or colors you align with most strongly. I actually did a bit of a writeup on the colors a bit ago, give me a second to find it:

White is the color of holy magic, of law, order, and religion, of duty and, to some extent, loyalty. White is also the color of tyranny, of oppression, of dictatorship; White seeks to impose its own moral framework on the universe, which can be good or evil, depending. At its best, White is selfless, inclusive, loyal, and hopeful, the color of healing and structure; at its worst, White is judgmental, oppressive, and constricting, the color of blind obedience. White is the color of both Paladins and Dictators. Most overtly religious concepts align White.

Politically, the most White ideologies are liberalism and socialism.
    Your associations of political ideologies with colors don't make much sense to me.

Liberalism as an ideology of individual liberties leans much more over the black side of the spectrum (the good kind). The opposite would apply to conservatism, given its emphasis on the maintenance of the current order of things.
    Last edited by Cerussite; 2014-01-12 at 01:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

It's different aspects of those ideologies you should be focusing on. Liberalism aims to afford protections across the board; whole groups of people gain rights together, etc. Conservatism, on the other hand, aims to promote individual liberty and protection; you have the right, etc. Liberals believe everyone has the right to be protected equally; conservatives believe everyone has the right to be left alone equally. All politicians that we currently have in the states are hard to judge on these scales, though, because even ignoring issues of corruption the liberal/conservative divide is not the Democrat/Republican divide anymore at all.

On that note, the socialism/capitalism divide is, by the word of the creators of Magic, a White/Black one, which falls very much in line with liberalism/collectivism being White and conservatism/individualism being Black.

And that is all I'll say about that, I think, lest we get into real-world political discussion. Suffice it to say that these are not perfect examples, because confining real-world ideological differences into a five-category structure is hardly going to align everything exactly one to one :P

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's different aspects of those ideologies you should be focusing on. Liberalism aims to afford protections across the board; whole groups of people gain rights together, etc. Conservatism, on the other hand, aims to promote individual liberty and protection; you have the right, etc. Liberals believe everyone has the right to be protected equally; conservatives believe everyone has the right to be left alone equally. All politicians that we currently have in the states are hard to judge on these scales, though, because even ignoring issues of corruption the liberal/conservative divide is not the Democrat/Republican divide anymore at all.

On that note, the socialism/capitalism divide is, by the word of the creators of Magic, a White/Black one, which falls very much in line with liberalism/collectivism being White and conservatism/individualism being Black.

And that is all I'll say about that, I think, lest we get into real-world political discussion. Suffice it to say that these are not perfect examples, because confining real-world ideological differences into a five-category structure is hardly going to align everything exactly one to one :P
    Wait what? At least in my country, the conservatives are mostly people who want to go back to a military government, while the liberals fight for less government interference in everyone's lives (contrasting to the mild socialists in power), pretty much reversed in regards to what you said. Maybe it's different where you're from.
    Last edited by Cerussite; 2014-01-12 at 01:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Yeah, around here, conservatism is small-government and liberalism is big-government. Guess it's just a nomenclature difference--that's really interesting, actually! Maybe in future versions I should call them AMERICAN liberalism and conservatism.
    Last edited by Loreweaver15; 2014-01-12 at 01:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Have you ever played Magic? Seriously, cards that let you see the opponent's hand and libraries are all over the place.

Peek. Look at their hand and draw a card.

Lobotomy. Look at their hand, choose a card, and remove all copies of it from their hand, graveyard, and library.

Duress. Look at their hand and choose a noncreature, nonland card. They discard it.

And a ton of other examples.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, around here, conservatism is small-government and liberalism is big-government. Guess it's just a nomenclature difference--that's really interesting, actually! Maybe in future versions I should call them AMERICAN liberalism and conservatism.
    More specifically, I was thinking in terms of classical liberalism (Locke, Adam Smith, et al), which, as defenders of free market theories and individualism, would stand squarely in the middle of Black.

Anyway, more cards :D

Sabine, Seductive Succubus
    3RB
    Legendary Creature - Demon Shapeshifter

Flying, First Strike, Protection from Blue and Green.
    BB: Target nonblack creature has -1/-1 until end of turn.
    R: Sabine, Seductive Succubus is the type of your choice until end of turn.

Morph (2RB): You may cast this as a 2/2 creature face-down for (3). Turn it face-up by paying its morph cost.

5/5
    Last edited by Cerussite; 2014-01-12 at 01:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok after everything i picked up Duels of the Planeswalkers a few days ago, a nice cheap way of getting myself introduced to the game. Rather loving it tbh. Sadly my homebrewer juices are already a running, probably not a good idea really so instead of trying to dive straight into a full expansive sized project, (despite many idea's regarding that), i'll throw out a few for this thread.

Miko Miyazaki WWWWRRR
    Legendary Creature - Human Knight

Doublestrike, Deathtouch, Vigilance, Trample

Miko must attack if able, Must Block if Able, and Must be Blocked by all Able Enemies

Miko Deals Double Damage to players

3/2

Spoiler: notes
    Show
    A fairly expensive and fragile platform that will draw a lot of fire weather you or your opponent wishes her to or not, but is quite capable of dealing a lot of damage on the way down, and if you can buff her toughness enough to get her through that first turn or so she'll probably win you the game outright with her sheer amount of destruction.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Ok after everything i picked up Duels of the Planeswalkers a few days ago, a nice cheap way of getting myself introduced to the game. Rather loving it tbh. Sadly my homebrewer juices are already a running, probably not a good idea really so instead of trying to dive straight into a full expansive sized project, (despite many idea's regarding that), i'll throw out a few for this thread.

Miko Miyazaki WWWWRRR
    Legendary Creature - Human Knight

Doublestrike, Deathtouch, Vigilance, Trample

Miko must attack if able, Must Block if Able, and Must be Blocked by all Able Enemies

Miko Deals Double Damage to players

3/2

Spoiler: notes
    Show
    A fairly expensive and fragile platform that will draw a lot of fire weather you or your opponent wishes her to or not, but is quite capable of dealing a lot of damage on the way down, and if you can buff her toughness enough to get her through that first turn or so she'll probably win you the game outright with her sheer amount of destruction.
    Awkward mana cost. But a +2 power boost and she's dealing 20 trample damage. A little much. Also death touch isn't necessary mechanically or thematically. I like the must attack, though, that's a nice touch.

Ehh, not really. Both parties are for increasing government in some areas and shrinking it in others. (I'll avoid examples.) There stopped being a big-government small government divide long ago, and both believe in a strong centralized govt.
    Last edited by SowZ; 2014-01-12 at 03:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

I love the way Morph plays with Sabine, a LOT. However, she is, perhaps, a bit heavy on the power/toughness end of things? Sabine strikes me more as a 3/3 with Wither, especially with THAT mana cost. Perhaps make her shapeshifting ability cost one colorless instead of one red, as well.

Also, my magic judge friend would be ashamed of me if I didn't rewrite that to fit the way text is done. So, my proposal:

3RB

Flying, first strike, wither, protection from blue and from green.
    BB: Target nonblack creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
    1: Sabine, Seductive Succubus becomes the creature type of your choice until end of turn.

Morph (2RB): You may cast this as a 2/2 creature face-down for (3). Turn it face-up at any time by paying its morph cost.

3/3
    Last edited by Loreweaver15; 2014-01-12 at 03:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

I love the way Morph plays with Sabine, a LOT. However, she is, perhaps, a bit heavy on the power/toughness end of things? Sabine strikes me more as a 3/3 with Wither, especially with THAT mana cost. Perhaps make her shapeshifting ability cost one colorless instead of one red, as well.

Also, my magic judge friend would be ashamed of me if I didn't rewrite that to fit the way text is done. So, my proposal:

3RB

Flying, first strike, wither, protection from blue and from green.
    BB: Target nonblack creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
    1: Sabine, Seductive Succubus becomes the creature type of your choice until end of turn.

Morph (2RB): You may cast this as a 2/2 creature face-down for (3). Turn it face-up at any time by paying its morph cost.

3/3
    She uses hand to hand attacks and isn't particularly fast. She shouldn't get first strike, especially since first strike+wither is so OP.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    She uses hand to hand attacks and isn't particularly fast. She shouldn't get first strike, especially since first strike+wither is so OP.
    Good point! Let's just replace First Strike with Wither completely.

Also, can I point out that the OP's version of Malack is actually insanely weak?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Awkward mana cost. But a +2 power boost and she's dealing 20 trample damage. A little much. Also death touch isn't necessary mechanically or thematically. I like the must attack, though, that's a nice touch.
    Maybe i'm misunderstanding how trample work's, (or maybe Duels treat's it differently), but trample damage is only dealt if it's overflow, and since she will regularly have multiple creatures blocking her she's not likely to have much if any overflow available to throw down, in fact without serious toughness boosting she probably won't survive the first round of combat, but she's guaranteed to take a lot of creatures down with her all the same and maybe do some player damage on top.

Deathtouch alongside doublstrike is meant to represent her tendency towards "destroy all, and their little dog's too". Whilst there are certainly more destructive enemies and heroes and events in OOTS's run none of the martial types and few of the caster types really embody pure destruction the way miko did.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    First strike was just my way of putting her roguish sneak attack there.

28. - Top - End - #178

The problem with that is that when Deathtouch and Trample coincide, the game treats 1 damage as enough to kill each defending creature--so she assigns 1 to each blocker, and then the rest to the defending player, which includes the entire second strike.

So, basically:

3/2 Miko attacks, is blocked by two 5/5s

assigns 1 damage w/first strike to 5/5 A

assigns 1 damage w/first strike to 5/5 B

assigns 1 damage to defending player, doubled to 2

5/5s die before they get to deal damage; during regular damage phase, Miko deals 3 damage to defending player, which is doubled to 6.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Maybe i'm misunderstanding how trample work's, (or maybe Duels treat's it differently), but trample damage is only dealt if it's overflow, and since she will regularly have multiple creatures blocking her she's not likely to have much if any overflow available to throw down...
    Unless the rules changed at some point, you are misunderstanding how trample works.

If a creature is blocked by three creatures, the attacker decides how the attacking creature's damage is dealt.* If they choose, they can deal all damage to one blocker, and the trample damage goes through while the other two defenders are untouched.

So if a 5/5 is blocked by a 2/2 and a 1/4 creature, they can deal five points of damage to the 2/2 (and three trample to the defending player), or four points to the 1/4 (and one trample damage), or any combination up to five points of damage.

They don't have to deal damage to each defender (unless the rules changed at some point, which is possible).

*Unless one of the defender's has banding, in which case the defender decides.
    Last edited by marq; 2014-01-12 at 03:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Again maybe my experience with duels is to blame as i've only faced a mixture of red, black, white, and red+white decks so far but i've found it rare to get to the point of being able to play a 7 mana card against an opponent and them not have 4 or more creatures in play unless i'm already winning so hard i don't need a 7 mana card to win, (this goes double for white heavy deck's since there are so many ways of turning low cost low stat cards into high stat cards due to various buffs which can apply as you bring one or more other cards into play or get them killed). The expectation is that yes she'll get a whole initial damage round to wipe out 3 creatures. Followed by a second round in which she wipes out some more, but unless the remaining card is a meager 1 power she's going to get wiped out in turn, at best she'll get a little overflow.

EDIT: Just seen marq's reply, that's a fair point, i don't think duels actually lets you do that. Need to think on this some more then.
    Last edited by Carl; 2014-01-12 at 04:03 PM.