New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Mythos Inspired Homebrew Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin
    You forgot Hansel and Gretel, I think.
    Haha, looks like I've got something else to do when I've got free time.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance
    I think I'm going to replace it with something, Mostly because anyone I show it to has no clue who he is >.>
    Here's an idea for you.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1949 View Post
    Do please note that I hid the suggestion to tap this series behind spoiler tags for a reason...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    Xefas, if it's not too much trouble to explain, can you tell me what...well, what cosmology you use for your Mythos classes? I want to look them up to see if I can maybe get inspired and create a Mythos class of my own.
    As Greaserfish said, Planescape, but with some added content. I've wanted to write out a little timeline summarizing the addition of primordial titans into the setting, but even as a summary, it would be quite long, which is why it hasn't been much of a priority. But, now that I know some people are interested, I may have to bump it up in importance.

Man, I can never seem to get these right. What about this for an excellency?

Spoiler
    Show
    Cacophonous Understanding Mantra
    People speak different things. That's just how it is. It separates cultures, making each one unique and different. It keeps secrets, it gives messages, it does all sorts of things. However, with a thousand-thousand lifetimes contained within him, the Seneschal is not a mere person.
    You automatically understand (though not speak) all non-secret languages. In addition, you may use the Speak Language skill to learn secret languages as if they were normal languages.
    Advanced
    God-Blaspheming Tongue: You can automatically speak all languages that you understand.
    I would say the Advanced part can just be added to the main section. You can speak and understand all non-secret languages, and you may use the Speak Language skill to learn secret languages, even without someone to teach you. I think that's okay.

Behold, the beginnings of the Mythos Dvati!
    Keep going!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    Where the Teramach has Power, the Akatstarepti burns with it. Where the Teramach has savage, uncontrolled brutality, The Akatstarepti has a cold intellengnce behind it's incredible destruction. It is to Mythos class what the Mythos classes are to normal. And good Tiamat the fluff has gotten ridiculous at this point.
    I think it sounds more like an Epic Prestige Class in the vein of the Holocoast Sun, if you want to know the truth.

Which I think would actually be really awesome. Imagine a class that has Land-Shaping Limitation Ignorance up at all times, unconditionally? With Mythos that multiply the number of natural weapons from the Body Of Samsara's Supernal Monster by twenty, or fifty, or a hundred, so that you could actually have hundreds of bristling spines or snapping maws or iron fists to tear asunder the world? Or an expansion upon With A Perfect World, I Would Be Dead that upraises your Reavers from low-level Teramach into an army of god-slayers in their own right, directed only by your omnidirectional vendetta against the Multiverse?

A Monster that poisons and burns the world with every breath. It shatters and corrupts armies with its touch, absorbing not just their essence with the Protagonism-Devouring Legend Singularity, but their bodies and minds and memories, creating a gestalt extra-cosmic horror that, even should it die, will never leave the warped minds of those who are returned to life. A creature that inspires such incomparable fear that men worlds away hear of its existence are stricken with terror, and whose mere presence can shatter even the most storied of wills.

A God among Monsters should not be a base class.
    It would be a disservice.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I would say the Advanced part can just be added to the main section. You can speak and understand all non-secret languages, and you may use the Speak Language skill to learn secret languages, even without someone to teach you. I think that's okay.
    I'll take that as I'm getting better, then!

Keep going!
    As well as that! Onto more Mythos!

Exceptional Mythos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Invigorating Narcissistic Embrace
    As long as you and your twin are on the same plane, you may, as a free action, grant some of your vitality to them, in a twisted version of self-centeredness. By sacrificing any amount of your lifeforce (as long as your HP goes no further than to 1), your twin recovers the same amount of HP, any excess becoming Temporary HP.
    Basic
    Getting a Hold of Thereself: Whenever you would fail a saving throw, you may instead use your twin's bonus to the saving throw in your place (you do not re-roll the saving throw, however). You both gain a +3 bonus to Will saves.
    Self-Righteous Mutilation: In addition, as long as both twins are willing and understand the effects, you may pass any amount of damage you suffer to your twin, up to a maximum of half the damage dealt in that attack. You both gain a +3 bonus to Fortitude saves.
    Unity of Touch: As long as you and your twin are physically in connection with each other (including through a rope, weapon, clothing, or other obvious connection, but not counting 'on the same ground'), both of you gain the following class abilities as long as at least one of you has them: Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Fast Movement. You both a +3 bonus to Reflex saves.
    Advanced
    Double-Layered Twinsoul:You gain a second basic manifestation of this Mythos. This second manifestation does not need to be the same as the one that your twin chooses.

Fantastic Mythos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Undying Bond of Forbidden Hope
    Prerequisite: The Invigorating Narcissistic Embrace Mythos
    When you take this Mythos, you must permanently lose a single point in a mental attribute (as your twin must take this Mythos as well, they must also pay this price when they obtain it), and must stay within 10 feet of each other for 24 hours.
    Forevermore, neither you nor your twin can ever die from a death effect, damage, attribute damage or drain, or any other source of lethality. If such an event would happen, the character is instead sent to -9 HP and is automatically stabilized. The twin that is not currently suffering this effect knows exactly where in the multiverse there other half is, down to the exact distance if they are on the same plane, as well as feeling a heart-wrenching pain in their chest for as long as they are under 0 HP.
    The only way to kill either twin is for both to be brought down to -9 HP, and then having a single attack damage both of them at once (such as from a Fireball). There is a second way to kill the twins, but it is almost unthinkable, considering the effort and deep-rooted connection needed to forge the Mythos and bond; if both attack one another at the same time with a melee weapon (including thrown weapons and natural weapons), the bond is forever broken, and this Mythos is lost without refund.
    Last edited by Adam1949; 2014-01-09 at 12:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

Haha, looks like I've got something else to do when I've got free time.
    I'd also add Nuada and Nuala, and Sakon and Ukon. Turns out twins in fiction have a wide range of ways to be, well, twins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    "I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!")
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    So the real question is, what is a Ling?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Shed your mortal coil and become a Demon/Outsider.
    Protoss Archons (with Ulrezaj as the evil flagship of the lot) are probably to your liking then. Bleach's Ichigo is also a pretty good go.

An evangelion sample should be attempted whenever possible so... Kaworu Nagisa/Tabris perhaps?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Network
    I'd also add Nuada and Nuala, and Sakon and Ukon. Turns out twins in fiction have a wide range of ways to be, well, twins.
    I considered those as well, but ultimately there are only three "Iconics" in a Mythos Race. However, I will be certain to include abilities that manifest as such things as 'sharing a single body' and 'gaining the skills and powers of the other'.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken
    An evangelion sample should be attempted whenever possible so... Kaworu Nagisa/Tabris perhaps?
    Funny thing, I was actually thinking of using a bunch of Rei-clones floating about in Tang as one of the Seneschal examples. Maybe I can still showcase her, either as that or as a different form of the Dvati.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooPaladin View Post
    I think it sounds more like an Epic Prestige Class in the vein of the Holocoast Sun, if you want to know the truth.

Which I think would actually be really awesome. Imagine a class that has Land-Shaping Limitation Ignorance up at all times, unconditionally? With Mythos that multiply the number of natural weapons from the Body Of Samsara's Supernal Monster by twenty, or fifty, or a hundred, so that you could actually have hundreds of bristling spines or snapping maws or iron fists to tear asunder the world? Or an expansion upon With A Perfect World, I Would Be Dead that upraises your Reavers from low-level Teramach into an army of god-slayers in their own right, directed only by your omnidirectional vendetta against the Multiverse?

A Monster that poisons and burns the world with every breath. It shatters and corrupts armies with its touch, absorbing not just their essence with the Protagonism-Devouring Legend Singularity, but their bodies and minds and memories, creating a gestalt extra-cosmic horror that, even should it die, will never leave the warped minds of those who are returned to life. A creature that inspires such incomparable fear that men worlds away hear of its existence are stricken with terror, and whose mere presence can shatter even the most storied of wills.

A God among Monsters should not be a base class.
    It would be a disservice.

Oh, It's all that, and more. Like I said, it's equal, or more powerful to tier 1. Optimization would shatter this class.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

That... Doesn't strike me as a good idea Shadow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    That... Doesn't strike me as a good idea Shadow.
    Does anything I do strike you as a good idea?
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Does anything I do strike you as a good idea?
    Hmm...

I will get back to you on this. It is a hard question to answer.

But on a serious note. This sounds like it might end up wrong.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

13. - Top - End - #103

But on a serious note. This sounds like it might end up wrong.
    Or it could end up fun... OR BOTH!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... No. I am pretty positive it will end up as that class people ask for and gets denied with a sarcastic laugh. Like Frank & K or dandwiki stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox3 View Post
    The ones that immediately jump out at me are the various hollow manifestations from Ichigo (Bleach; Video of the various forms) and the kyuubi-manifestations Naruto from the anime of the same name (Video)
    Thank you! Those work perfectly! I can throw in a Daemon Prince from Warhammer 40k, and then Ulrezaj means I only need 2 more examples.

Spoiler
    Show

Abyssal Bargaining-Brutalized Fool:
    In the eyes of the Paladins and Demon Hunters the Scotanova are damned to the Abyss, squandering their time in pursuit of fruitless trees and goals that will never come to fruition. Paths of power that lead to nothing but corruption and cowardice, when the true path is devout righteousness. The Scotanova knows better then this, seeing in the Abyss the basic route to power that is so easily available, and devastatingly seductive all the same. The common masses, as much as they may huff and puff in rebuttal, know that deep within their hearts they too long for such power, and the Scotanova is all too willing to grant it. For a price, that is.

The Scotanova becomes adept at imparting Abyss bound gifts onto those willing to take it. The process of placing a gift upon a mortal is a full round action, in which the recipient of the gift must be willing and restrained in some fashion. Upon the gift being imparted a brand, scar, or other marking is placed upon the recipients body that is indicative of his Abyssal born pact. The Scotanova may place the brand wherever he sees fit, though most often place it in hard to notice areas. The brand is approximately the size of the Scotanovas or the Recipients fist, whichever is smaller (In the event of both parties somehow lacking limbs, a fist shaped rock will do).

The Scotanova may never grant himself a Brand, though may accept it from other Scotanova's. The Scotanova may grant an amount of gifts equal to his charisma modifier (Minimum 1).

Basic
    Power Addictrix Megalofiend: The Scotanova may improve a single physical or mental stat of the Recipients choice, granting a +2 Profane Bonus to it for 24 hours. In exchange the Scotanova gains an equal Profane Bonus to any stat of his choosing, so long as it is of the opposite side of the Physical/Mental Ability Score, these benefits last 24 hours aswell. However, the recipient of the gift is imbued with a fragment of the raw turmoil that is the Abyss, and must take a penalty equal to the Profane Bonus to a Mental/Physical Ability Score(s) of his choice, split up as he deems fit. For instance, the Scotanova may grant a +2 Profane bonus to a Barbarians Strength, and gain a +2 Profane Bonus to either his Charisma/Intelligence/Wisdom (But not his Strength/Dexterity/Constitution, as the Barbarian chose a Physical Ability Score). The Barbarian then chooses to split the penalty and takes a -1 Penalty to his Intelligence and Wisdom score (Again, due to him taking a Bonus to a Physical Ability Score).

This bonus increases to a +4 at Level 8, and +6 at level 13.

Arcane-Infused Abyssal Arteries: The Scotanova may improve a Recipient's Caster level by (1+1/4 Scotanova's Class Level) if they are a Caster who requires preparing his spells (In the event of Multiclassing or Gestalt, this bonus caster level only applies to spells casted through preparation). In exchange the Recipient loses a single spell slot (And the spell that is prepared with it) of his highest level and grants it to the Scotanova, who may cast it as a Spell Like ability a number of times per day equal to his class level/3 (Minimum 1). If the Recipient is a spontaneous caster, instead the Scotanova improves the DC of all of his spells by (2+ 1/2 Scotanova's Class Level), and the Spontaneous Caster loses 1 Spell Slot of his highest level. The Scotanova in return gains a single spell from the Spontaneous Casters highest level spell list, and may cast it as a Spell Like ability a number of times per day equal to his class level/3. Both of these bonuses last 24 hours, at the end of which the Scotanova loses his spell like ability and the Caster regains his spell slot

Still need to work out the 3rd basic and then polish the Advanceds. Either way I have a small list of concepts/trademarks I plan on making into Mythos, so I can check this off the list (Sort of)

Spoiler: List
    Show

Impart Demonic Gifts on willing or unwilling subject
    Shoot beams of hellfire and other such nastiness, normally as Breathe Weapon
    Brutalize Minds
    Demonic Growth Spurt/Mutation=Evolve into Specific type of Demon(?)(Current demon list= Balor, Succubus, Dretch, Vrock, Marilith)
    Create Cults, grow stronger as result
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2014-01-08 at 09:34 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

16. - Top - End - #106

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hmm... No. I am pretty positive it will end up as that class people ask for and gets denied with a sarcastic laugh. Like Frank & K or dandwiki stuff.
    To be fair, I imagine that most groups would probably do the same thing with most of the Mythos classes. I know that most of my GMs probably wouldn't want to use them.

While the higher tier base classes (such as the Wizard) can definitely end up overshadowing the other players, most groups are used to that even if they wouldn't recognize that fact. The Mythos classes on the other hand end up overshadowing the other Tier 3- classes without really even trying.

Imagine if you will a group of a Warblade, Barbarian, Crusader and Teramach, all 7th level. The Teramach is stronger and faster than the barbarian, has more flexibility than the Warblade and is tougher than the Crusader. This is of course completely intentional, but for many groups, that's probably going to be too much.
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2014-01-08 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Comphrensibility
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I decided to stop working on my Mythos Hunter (which I will give details on when they are more solid, but expect a very flexible favored enemy mechanic) to start work on my Mythic Elf, who was the reason I started making the Mythos Hunter again. I prepared for this task by reading The Complete Book of Elves, which was enough to make me hate elves. Hating elves, of course, is the proper mood I wanted to be in while writing the Mythic Elf.

The sort of core attitude of the Mythic Elf is "I'm better than you, and I know it." Elves are beautiful and graceful and they have an absolutely enormous superiority complex. Everything they do is wonderful, and everything that other races do is pathetic and pitiful compared to them- in their eyes, at least. Everyone else is, well, subelf.

Here are the ideas for it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Exceptional
    -[Elven Pinnacle Specialization]Become a better elf of your subrace. Advanced manifestations make you an even better elf of your subrace, or you can get features of other subraces. In addition, you look more like the ideal of your subrace.
    -[Gentle Sub-Elven Compassion]When you're around nonelves, they take a penalty to skill checks and elves take a bonus to skill checks. You can show off how awful the nonelves are to others to make them like nonelves less. The nonelves being around is critical to the elves getting bonuses to skill checks.
    -[Casual Genius Learning] Something that takes advantage of elves living longer. Gives bonuses to skills.
    -[Total Elven Cooperation]Something that makes elves like you more.

Fantastic
    -[Awesome Purity Realization]Gain a halo, and get protection from nasty, mortal conditions.
    -[Lesser Being Subjugation] Subjugate members of other races under your Boots of Elvenkind.

Legendary
    -[Immortal Spirit Awakening]Become young again, never age, and become an outsider. When you die, you're sent to a plane of your choice.

And here is what I have done.

Spoiler
    Show

The Mythic Elf

It is said that elves are special among the races. Fluff text fluff text elf elf elf fluff text fluff text elves are the best fluff text.

New Feat:

The Legacy of Perfection
    Prerequisites: Elf, one mythos
    Choose one Mythos-granting class that you have levels in. You may treat the following Mythos as if they belonged to that class. You ignore alignment requirements for gaining [Exalted] feats. Your maximum hit points increase by 1 for every [Exalted] feat you possess.

If you somehow lose this feat, or no longer qualify for it, you cease to gain the benefits of the granted Mythos until you regain this feat or qualify for it once more.

Special: If you are a drow, you may choose to ignore alignment requirements for gaining [Vile] feats and have your maximum hit points increase by 1 for every [Vile] feat instead. But, if you’re the sort of Drow who’s taking this feat, the original bonus is probably much more relevant for you.

Exceptional Mythos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elven Pinnacle Specialization (not even begun to be complete)
    Prerequisites: -
    Upon taking this mythos, your body shifts and becomes more ideal for your subrace. Your ears extend slightly, and your features become just a little more angular and just a little more idealized. Often skin becomes smoother, or its imperfections become strikingly beautiful instead of ugly. Other features depend on subrace. You are instantly recognizable as yourself, even by those who knew you before, and they may not even notice your mild transformation.

This mythos provides no initial mechanical benefits, instead relying on the manifestations for effect. You gain the manifestation based on your specific subrace.

Basic Manifestations
    Aquatic Elf: You gain the Amphibious special quality,
    Drow:
    Grey Elf:
    High Elf:
    Star Elf:
    Wild Elf:
    Wood Elf:

Advanced Manifestations
    Interwoven Elven Blood: You gain another basic manifestation from above.
    True Blood Purification: I don’t know, the ones above aren’t done yet. You cannot have both this and Interwoven Elven Blood (you may take Interwoven Elven Blood as often as you wish)

Note: The author will update this list to include all the fricking types of elf when they have completed the rest of this class. Seriously tho. There are like twenty types of elf with LA +0. And I’m sure there are even more elves without LA +0.
    why are there so many kinds of elf

Gentle Subelven Comparison
    This is not stealing. This is a mere comparison, a realization, if you wish. Those other races are far inferior to your own, and they should be allowed to know the truth, shouldn’t they? They shouldn’t be forced to live, thinking that what they do could ever match up to what an elf can.

You gain an invisible aura 60 feet in diameter. If non elves are in this aura, any skill checks performed by them are decreased by an amount equal to twice your highest mental ability modifier, and any skill checks performed by non-elves are increased by half of the same amount. With every level you gain, the size of this aura doubles.
    Two unusual effects may be noted as regards to this aura. First, any non elven craftperson in this aura makes his check to proceed on their work as if they were unpenalized. However, at the end of their work, they must make one final skill check, with a DC of the DC to make the item. If they can pass this final skill check, then the item is normal- for a non-elf, at least. If they fail, then the item they make is hideous and ruined. It is treated as if it had the broken condition, but it can never be repaired, save by an elf. The final, special check must be made if the craftsperson spent at least an hour in the aura while they were working on their project. If you somehow acquire this object, you may use it in a diplomacy check to convince others the inferiority of non-elves (or the like), and it gives this check a +5 divine bonus. You can only use one example per check.
    Second, an in charge of an elven community may perform a special ritual. After walking around a settlement where most citizens are non-elves, then walking around their own settlement, they make it so that elves and non-elves in both cities gain the respective bonuses or penalties from the aura, as if they were inside of it. Most elves with this mythos are not intelligently aware of it. However, they do have some instinct that looking around a city to see the human or dwarf or whatever wares and then walking around their own will only confirm that elves are far superior to the other races.

Casual Genius Learning
    Look at the humans. An average human farmer can farm, and that’s it. He’s not a farmer and a concert pianist and a trained mage and a skilled marksman, like an elf would be. And this holds true for most of the races. Even the ones who can live as long as elves simply aren’t a smart as them. Why not?

You gain a bonus to three untrained skills equal to your highest mental ability modifier, and you can use those skills untrained. If you ever place ranks in those skills, it decreases your bonus to them by an equal amount. When you gain access to Fantastic Mythos (or, if you already have access) this bonus doubles, and when you gain access to Legendary Mythos (or, if you already have access to them) the bonus instead triples.

Total Elven Cooperation
    Prerequisites:-
    "we're not racist against drow because they're dark, we're racist against them because they're eeeeeevillllll"

Fantastic Mythos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Purity Realization
    Elves are naturally purer than the other races. Its a simple matter of what they are. As elves age, they can sometimes become luminescent, their spirits shining through their bodies.

A halo of light surrounds you. It does not shed true light, and is mainly for cosmetic purposes. Generally, this light is a faint white- however, depending on the individual elf, it may also be a stunning silver, bruise-grey, or an unlight of sorts, a visible, supernal darkness. While this light shines, you gain immunity to disease, poison, fatigue, exhaustion, and being sickened or nauseated.

Lesser Being Subjugation

Legendary Mythos
    Spoiler
    Show

Immortal Spirit Awakening
    Prerequisites: Awesome Purity Realization
    Death is for lesser beings. Let the others die. They should, in fact. Less of them on this earth means more room for elves- it means that you should never suffer their pathetic existence anymore.

You no longer suffer age penalties, and you will never die from old age. Upon gaining this mythos, your body changes, erasing all signs of aging past the prime of your adulthood from your body. If you are not at the prime of your adulthood yet, then you age to that point naturally and stop. Your type turns to Outsider, though you retain your elf subtype. You are treated as native to the material plane and one other. When you die of any cause, your body vanishes in a burst of light the same color as your halo, and appear in a safe place on that other plane you have chosen. If this plane regularly handles the souls of the dead, you arrive at the same place as them. If you actively worship a deity who resides on that plane, you may choose to arrive at the home of that deity. You arrive there uninjured and with all your equipment, and you may use any means to exit the plane, as usual.
    The only way to permanently slay you is to kill you less than an hour after you have formed in the other plane. This does not apply when you simply choose to visit this plane- only when you come there after your death.

Anyway, I'm not that good at balance, so I would love some feedback on it! Please let me know what you think! I'm vaguely worried about the "capstone" mythos giving a benefit that's better than the capstone of most classes, but there are some prestige classes that give the same benefit two levels later, so I'm not that worried??? Plus, Mythos classes do tend to give pretty nice benefits...
    Today is the day to sing to people while asleep.

Sometimes it takes me a few days to respond to comments directed to me on a thread I've posted in. Please don't think I'm ignoring you, it can just sometimes take me a while to formulate a response.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by tallonRook View Post
    *mythic elf stuff*
    ...Dammit, now I'm obligated to make a Mythic Dorf.

19. - Top - End - #109

ok, just thought i'd put these out there.
    @tallonRook, can i suggest sticking a Thalmor on that banner? The others might work better (i don't know them) but the Thalmor are as elf supremacist as it gets. Hell, that fantastic mythos is supposedly their ultimate goal for all their members.

@Adam1949, have you looked at the dualists class by Circle of Life? It might be good for some extra inspiration.
    Last edited by commander panda; 2014-01-08 at 09:21 PM.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

20. - Top - End - #110

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Thank you! Those work perfectly! I can throw in a Daemon Prince from Warhammer 40k, and then Ulrezaj means I only need 2 more examples.

Spoiler
    Show

Abyssal Bargaining-Brutalized Fool:
    In the eyes of the Paladins and Demon Hunters the Scotanova are damned to the Abyss, squandering their time in pursuit of fruitless trees and goals that will never come to fruition. Paths of power that lead to nothing but corruption and cowardice, when the true path is devout righteousness. The Scotanova knows better then this, seeing in the Abyss the basic route to power that is so easily available, and devastatingly seductive all the same. The common masses, as much as they may huff and puff in rebuttal, know that deep within their hearts they too long for such power, and the Scotanova is all too willing to grant it. For a price, that is.

The Scotanova becomes adept at imparting Abyss bound gifts onto those willing to take it. The process of placing a gift upon a mortal is a full round action, in which the recipient of the gift must be willing and restrained in some fashion. Upon the gift being imparted a brand, scar, or other marking is placed upon the recipients body that is indicative of his Abyssal born pact. The Scotanova may place the brand wherever he sees fit, though most often place it in hard to notice areas. The brand is approximately the size of the Scotanovas or the Recipients fist, whichever is smaller (In the event of both parties somehow lacking limbs, a fist shaped rock will do).

The Scotanova may never grant himself a Brand, though may accept it from other Scotanova's. The Scotanova may grant an amount of gifts equal to his charisma modifier (Minimum 1).

Basic
    Power Addictrix Megalofiend: The Scotanova may improve a single physical or mental stat of the Recipients choice, granting a +2 Profane Bonus to it for 24 hours. In exchange the Scotanova gains an equal Profane Bonus to any stat of his choosing, so long as it is of the opposite side of the Physical/Mental Ability Score, these benefits last 24 hours aswell. However, the recipient of the gift is imbued with a fragment of the raw turmoil that is the Abyss, and must take a penalty equal to the Profane Bonus to a Mental/Physical Ability Score(s) of his choice, split up as he deems fit. For instance, the Scotanova may grant a +2 Profane bonus to a Barbarians Strength, and gain a +2 Profane Bonus to either his Charisma/Intelligence/Wisdom (But not his Strength/Dexterity/Constitution, as the Barbarian chose a Physical Ability Score). The Barbarian then chooses to split the penalty and takes a -1 Penalty to his Intelligence and Wisdom score (Again, due to him taking a Bonus to a Physical Ability Score).

This bonus increases to a +4 at Level 8, and +6 at level 13.

Arcane-Infused Abyssal Arteries: The Scotanova may improve a Recipient's Caster level by 1 if they are a Caster who requires preparing his spells (In the event of Multiclassing or Gestalt, this bonus caster level only applies to spells casted through preparation). In exchange the Recipient loses a single spell slot (And the spell that is prepared with it) of his highest level and grants it to the Scotanova, who may cast it as a Spell Like ability a number of times per day equal to his class level/3 (Minimum 1). If the Recipient is a spontaneous caster, instead the Scotanova improves the DC of all of his spells by 1, and the Spontaneous Caster loses 1 Spell Slot of his highest level. The Scotanova in return gains a single spell from the Spontaneous Casters highest level spell list, and may cast it as a Spell Like ability a number of times per day equal to his class level/3.

Still need to work out the 3rd basic and then polish the Advanceds. Either way I have a small list of concepts/trademarks I plan on making into Mythos, so I can check this off the list (Sort of)

Spoiler: List
    Show

Impart Demonic Gifts on willing or unwilling subject
    Shoot beams of hellfire and other such nastiness, normally as Breathe Weapon
    Brutalize Minds
    Demonic Growth Spurt/Mutation=Evolve into Specific type of Demon(?)(Current demon list= Balor, Succubus, Dretch, Vrock, Marilith)
    Create Cults, grow stronger as result
    I like it so far, however, I see some possible issues. The biggest problem is that Arcane-Infused Abyssal Arteries trades one of the most important resources for a casting class to gain a very small bonus. And even then, the spontaneous caster loses far more than the prepared caster.

Take a 8th Sorcerer for example, he gets a +1 bonus to saving throw DCs but has to lose one of his 4th level spell slots, which means one less polymorph or Illusory Wall per day. That trade-off is terrible, it would be much more beneficial for him to take the Power Addictrix Megalofiend and gain a +4 bonus to his charisma which gives him a +2 bonus to saving throw DCs, +2 bonus to charisma-based skills and bonus spells.

There's also the problem of it not being clear what happens when a caster gains a new spell-casting level. The way the ability is written suggests that if the Sorcerer took the gift at level 1 he'd only have to lose a first level spell and when he gained a new spell level he wouldn't have to give it up. This is because the ability only talks about losing the spell-slot when you gain the gift, not what happens after. This is very odd as it means that the cost is greater for a higher level class, but doesn't actually gain anything better. The cost should be (at least) equivalent to what you gain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh crap, urgh I should have just written it out in the standard mythos, god dammit. It's supposed to last 24 Hours like the other Basic, it's just that I was thinking of making the third Basic manifestation work on less hours since the third manifestation is either going to be something along the lines of "Grow a monstrous appendage weapon" or "Gain bonuses to a Skill check, get the life sucked out of you in exchange". I'll fix it asap, it's temporary not permanent, on both ends.

Also, will probably scale it.

Edit: Fixed and Scaled. 20th level Scotanova can make 1st level Wizards into 7th level bosses.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2014-01-08 at 09:35 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

22. - Top - End - #112

ok, i said i was going to make a super-leap teramach mythos ages ago, but the abandoned sun hero class has one that works perfectly. So I'm just editing that (barely) for the teramach.

land breaking sky ascension
    Spoiler
    Show

Prerequisite: Beating Feeble Gravity, God Kicking Boot

fluffity fluff fluff flufftext. i'll do this part later.

Make a Jump check. Replace the number of feet you may travel with an equal number of miles. You may move up to the distance indicated by this amount. If you decide to leap over 1 mile, you create a destructive impact when you land, dealing 5d6 bludgeoning damage to everything within about (miles traveled) feet. Items that any character currently has equipped or attended do not take damage. You and anyone you are carrying are similarly exempt. This damage bypasses hardness, wrecking scenery and structures in your wake. If you decide to leap over 30 miles, the accuracy with which you do so is reduced. You land 2d6-2 miles off target in a random direction. You may subtract another 2 from this roll (to a minimum of 0) for each of the following conditions that you meet.

-You know the general area you are leaping toward, and the surrounding lands very well, having traveled among them on several occasions.
    -You succeed on a Knowledge (Geography) check with a DC equal to the number of miles you are leaping, rolled after you begin the jump.
    -You have at least five minutes to concentrate and focus on making your jump as accurate as possible.

If the speed at which you travel, or the duration of the leap is of any importance, assume that each mile takes about 30 seconds to traverse.

thoughts, anyone? I've never tried to make homebrew before, so I'm not sure if this older stuff balances well against the newer mythos classes.
    I'm thinking this should be a fantastic mythos but i might be off. If necessary, I was thinking of removing the hardness bypass feature and adding it as an advanced manifestation called Unstoppable Force Breaks Immovable Object.

this is the exalted version of land breaking sky ascension (again, taken from the sun hero) but i think this might be in holocaus sun territory.

Sky-Shattering Daystar Cataclysm
    Spoiler
    Show

Prerequisite:land breaking sky ascension, Jump 22 ranks

You leap high into the air, sixty miles or more, which, assuming an earth-like world, leaves you adrift between atmosphere and the terrible dark beyond. This first jump takes about fifteen minutes. There, you float for a few moments, before beginning your magnificent descent. You can choose nearly anywhere in the world, given enough familiarity to steer in that direction, and with the assumption that such a place is accessible to the sky. Your fall takes about five minutes.

When you finally strike the ground, you do so as a blazing cataclysm from the sky, dealing 20d6 bludgeoning damage and 10d6 fire damage to everything within one mile of your point of impact, the former of which bypasses Hardness, likely leaving a broken ruin in your wake. (Items that any character currently has equipped or attended do not take damage. You and anyone you are carrying are similarly exempt.) Those that take damage must make a Reflex save or be knocked prone. Finally, the area destroyed by your landing continues to burn with superheated air for about an hour afterward, dealing 1d4 fire damage every round to all who remain within.
    Last edited by commander panda; 2014-01-08 at 10:14 PM.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by commander panda View Post
    @Adam1949, have you looked at the dualists class by Circle of Life? It might be good for some extra inspiration.
    This... this right here? Sheer awesomeness. Although, like a lot of people in that thread said, a Dvati Dualist(s) would be utter hilarity.

New Mythos! This one breaks the rules of the Mythos racials, by being a Shintai. Obviously, this makes it a Legendary Mythos.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tantric Isolation Shintai
    Prerequisite: At least 2 Mythos gained by The Legacy of the Hidden Pair
    When you obtain this Mythos, you do not automatically gain its benefits. Instead, you and your twin are both struck with a sudden tiredness; and, when one sees the other or touches them, a powerful urge to sleep nearby them. Upon both twins falling asleep, something strange and pervasive alters them; ever so subtly, after they sleep for 24 hours, they awaken as a single entity, a sole body housing two souls.
    The characters decide which class or classes they have levels in, as long as it equals the average of their original levels (so, if a Teramach-15 and a Kathados-15 were to do take this Mythos, they could have any combination of Teramach or Kathados levels, as long as it added up to 15 levels overall). The single being then gains the Base Attack Bonus, Saves, and other such traits from their decision. If any Mythos or other class abilities are lost this way, they may be replaced when they return to a suitable level with new abilities. The conglomerate character has the best attributes from among the component parts (For example, if the two characters above had as their arrays {20 16 18 8 8 8} and {12 16 14 18 12 8}, there attributes would now be {20 16 18 18 12 8}). In addition, any Mythos they gained from The Legacy of the Hidden Pair may be changed to any other Mythos they qualify for.
    Even more beneficial, the mixed being becomes a paragon of the duo; no matter what mix of class levels they had taken, the character has all Class Skills that either twin had, and all of their Hit Dice are equal to the biggest Hit Dice of the pair (Thus, the above mix would have 15 d12 hit dice, as well as the class skills of Teramach and Kathados, and the skill points per level of the Kathados).
    However, it is not all perfect. By virtue of having two minds within a single form, the now-inseparable twins must wrestle each other for control every so often. 'You' gain an Ego score equal to (10 + your class level + your Charisma modifier), as though 'you' were an intelligent item. This Ego is a representation of whichever twin is not in control at the time, and may use it to fight against any action or thought that you take that they disagree with. In addition, you must roll a Will save equal to the Ego score whenever you wake up from slumber, take more than your Ego score in damage at once, are tortured, have your twin insulted, and anything else that you and your GM agree would cause feedback issues; if you fail the save, the twin currently in charge of the body is pushed back into the subconscious, and the other twin takes over. As a side effect, you count as the alignments of both twins (if they differed).
    Finally, the effects of having to share a single body are taxing, and you gain the Reflexive Psychosis feat without needing to meet its prerequisites.

24. - Top - End - #114

Oh, It's all that, and more. Like I said, it's equal, or more powerful to tier 1. Optimization would shatter this class.
    Well you certainly have piqued my interest. Do you have any idea when you might be posting it?
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    Well you certainly have piqued my interest. Do you have any idea when you might be posting it?
    Well, it was going to be tonight, but apparently my Mythos have decided to close themselves off from my mind. I have most of the names, just not what they do.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #116

Like Frank & K or dandwiki stuff.
    Hey now, I like some of that stuff. Scaling feats are awesome.

I have most of the names, just not what they do.
    Can we see some? I'm gettin' all hyped up over here. Don't leave me hanging.

Oh! Also, does anyone know where I might be able to find some d20 stats for hungry ghosts?
    Last edited by Primal Fury; 2014-01-09 at 12:06 AM.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Two;

Prototype of Perfection, and Dominion of shattered bodies.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    Hey now, I like some of that stuff. Scaling feats are awesome.

Can we see some? I'm gettin' all hyped up over here. Don't leave me hanging.

Oh! Also, does anyone know where I might be able to find some d20 stats for hungry ghosts?
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I like some of the Frank & K stuff. It is more that I don't agree with some of the proposed ideas.

dandwiki has no excuse, however. It is just all over the place.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Frank & K's stuff was never designed to be used all at once. Scaling feats are great - but when stacked onto a Fighter creatively multiclassed into Monk and Samurai, packing Fiend feats and one-level dips into front-loaded PrCs, you get some kind of horror that 100%s the SGT, all day, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by tallonRook View Post
    Anyway, I'm not that good at balance, so I would love some feedback on it! Please let me know what you think! I'm vaguely worried about the "capstone" mythos giving a benefit that's better than the capstone of most classes, but there are some prestige classes that give the same benefit two levels later, so I'm not that worried??? Plus, Mythos classes do tend to give pretty nice benefits...
    Wow, my Mythos Elf idea was entirely different from yours!
    ...mostly because yours is complete, whereas mine never escaped the idea stage. I recall it had Tassadar, Galadriel, and Peter Pan as its inspirations.

Anyway, your Legendary Mythos isn't broken at all. The capstones of most classes are bragging rights, don't worry about it. It looks to be no more abusive than contingent heal in practice. I'd actually advise to think about adding a little bit more to it - Legendary Mythos are gained at 13th level, where you should be able to compete with small empires by yourself, without significant effort or foresight on your part.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... so existing Mythos Classes all have Full BAB and all good saves. Is there really anything to prevent a change to this? I've half a mind to give my Occasus Medium BAB and Poor Reflex.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<