The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default X-Com: The Fourth Dimension (OOC Thread)

Welcome to the reboot!

Participating player roster with character sheets.
    Player PC
    Surrealistik Kaeravak
    Grey_Wolf_c Cinder Ashborn
    Azktor Khitan Godspeaker
    Hircine Akamenos
    Irish Musician Ferrum
    Deadline Dagrun
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-04-20 at 12:59 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: X-Com X-D (OOC Thread)

Reserve Post #1

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Reserve Post #2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Reserve Post #3

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Reserve Post #4

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Reserve Post #5

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so I like to try and regularly poll my players to get their opinions on my games and how they think things are going. I may not always agree with your thoughts, but I will listen and give your opinions weight in my decisions. Bottom line, my goal is to make sure that you all are having fun – I can’t promise that this game always will be fun, but that is my goal and if you aren’t having any fun ever then I am doing something fundamentally wrong. So if that ever becomes the case I want you to tell me so that we can try to work towards a solution, or at least have a dialogue so we each know where the other is coming from.

To that end, I’ve put together a (hopefully) brief survey for you to go through to give me an idea what you want out of the game. Think of it as opening up the options method in the middle of the game and changing the sliders around (although the Video and Audio options are sadly fixed in place! ) Please select whichever level you’d prefer out of the available options (or pick somewhere in between two levels, or make up your own so long as you can explain it). Of course, people do have different tastes so I may need to figure out how to blend things to keep everyone happy (or just be schizo and switch randomly from one preference to another ). I do also have preferences of my own, of course, and I will probably post what my own ideal vision for the game is after you’ve all answered. Then we’ll just work out how to keep everyone happy from there.

Amount of Out-of-Combat Roleplaying – This is a D&D game so killing things will always be the core gameplay. But how much fluffy roleplaying do you want in between sessions of murder?
    1) Living World – I would like a wide array of breathing, growing characters in a world with a life of its own. Things will happen off-screen that I won’t even know about unless I go looking for them. Similarly, I would like many opportunities to interact with these characters so that my own PC can change and grow as the game goes on.
    2) Cinematic Experience – I would like a number of interesting characters to interact with, and regular opportunities to bounce my character off them to see what happens. However, I would prefer the characters to only react to things “on-camera” so that these NPCs only change from my own actions (and/or the actions of the other PCs).
    3) Close-Knit Cast – I would like a small number of characters to interact with on occasion, but I would prefer them to be limited in number so that I can focus my PC’s attention on them. It would be nice if they would change and develop as the game goes on, but they’re primarily there for my PC to play off of.
    4) First Person Shooter – I would like the minimum amount of characters possible, with mostly them just there for a semblance of plot and for me to mock for being stereotypical cardboard cutouts – the angry sergeant, the incompetent commander guy, etc.
    5) Murder Death Kill – If it’s not a PC, the only interaction I want to have with it is me killing it.

Complexity of the Plot – Again, this is a D&D game so expecting the next Schindler’s List is probably setting the bar a little too high. Nonetheless, how much do you want this game to force you to think (outside of how to kill things most efficiently)?
    1) Wheels Within Wheels – I would like a plot that’s ten layers deep, with things going on beneath the surface that I may never uncover. If I become lost in the web of intrigue, then I bare the full responsibility for not puzzling things out better.
    2) A Dense Tapestry – I would like there to be a lot of intrigue in the game, giving me mysteries and hidden motivations that I will need to puzzle out in order to succeed. However, things are straightforward enough that I can at least figure out what I do *not* know – yet.
    3) A Web of Intrigue – I would like there to be some surprise revelations and mysteries to unravel in the game, but I would prefer for them to come one or two at a time so I only have to focus on one unknown at a time.
    4) A Marked Path – I would prefer to have a pretty good idea what comes next and what I need to do, step-by-step, without having to worry too much about unintended consequences.
    5) Murder Death Kill – If the plot was a monster I’d kill it. Just throw wave after wave of things for me to kill and I will be happy.

Linearity of the Plot – Somewhat similar to the above question about complexity, but slightly different in that rather than being about how much information is available, it has more to do with your level of agency in directing what the plot centers on.
    1) The World is an Oyster – You have full control over your character’s destiny. If you want to say that your characters all take a year off of fighting the X-Ds to become showtunes singers, we’ll do it and play it out (somehow).
    2) You Can Do Anything But That – You have full control over your character’s destiny, but only in how it relates to killing the X-Ds and saving the world. You can use whatever tactics you’d like to wage the war, but it’s war that you will wage, and you will LIKE IT.
    3) Here Are Your Orders – You have some choices to make, but it will usually be from a small selection of options presented by me. There will still be consequences for your actions and choices, but they are from a finite list rather than the infinite array of options that you could do.
    4) Follow the Yellow-Brick Road – While you will have a few branching paths to choose from, generally the plot will proceed down a fairly linear path, following your team’s progress from mission to mission that are chosen for plot reasons by Officers from On High.
    5) Murder Death Kill – No plot. No choices. Featureless room after featureless room where I kill things that resemble X-Com aliens. No real reason needed as to why.

Scale of the Plot – Last question about the plot, I promise! This is related to how large in scope you would like the plot to be – and it might well have an impact on how the game plays out and the level of choices that you will need to make.
    1) X-Com, The Epic – I want this story to be as epic and large scale as possible, featuring wars between worlds, depicting sweeping clashes between armies one minute and then zooming in to a single soldier attempting to hold the line the next. Similarly, I want the PCs to work their way up to commanding the entire war, hopping across multiple continents as they take matters into their own hands while the NPC armies that they put together fight on another front.
    2) X-Com, The War Movie – While having a wide world with lots of things going on at once would be fun, I would prefer for the game to focus on the war itself. Saving the world for all the innocent civilians to live in is nice and all, but I’d rather focus on the actual fighting rather than its impacts.
    3) X-Com, The Action Movie – Saving the world is nice and all, but I would prefer that the world be kept out there, somewhere, with the focus more centered immediately on the PCs and their direct impact on the world. Our choices are still important and will determine whether the world survives or not, but the game plays out with a sharp focus on what we are doing and why.
    4) X-Com, The Buddy Cop Movie – Rather than worrying about the entire world, I would prefer if the action was kept more limited, to a small area that the PCs are charged with keeping safe. The war against the X-Ds is more of a backdrop to the PCs’ struggles against a localized version of the threat.
    5) Murder Death Kill – Murder. Death. Kill. Featureless rooms full of enemies to kill for no reason other than that they exist.

Tone – Now for a slightly different question. What do you want the tone of the game to be, the filter that colors the events of the game?
    1) Grimderp – In the grim derpness of the future, there is only the war against the X-Ds. Taken to just shy of self-parody (and then taken a little further ), the hopelessness of the situation is all-encompassing. Even if the PCs somehow eventually win at great cost, it will be a completely pyrrhic victory.
    2) Nobledark – The war is bleak, but there is still hope. Even if the PCs fail, they will still have tried to save the world, and the X-Ds will remember this war for a long time to come. And even in the bitterness of war, there are still moments of peace that make the fighting worth it.
    3) Grimbright – There are some dark corners to the war, but all in all the sun will still rise in the morning no matter what happens. And just like in Evangelion, the power of friendship will triumph over all.
    4) Noblebright – The X-Ds are dastardly villains, but there is no wrong that the PCs can’t right (eventually). While the war might occasionally take a dark turn, generally things will work out in the end.
    5) Murder Death Kill – When your only reason for existence is killing things in featureless rooms for nonexistent reasons, tone doesn’t really come into play all that much.

Lethality/Difficulty – How hard do you want me to try to kill your PCs and/or make them fail in their efforts? Granted, this is X-Com so I’m pretty much obligated to give you guys some level of grief, but how serious should I be about it?
    1) Impossible Ironman – I *will* kill your PCs, and I *will* make you cry. Cry bull**** over how blatantly unfair my encounters are, that is.
    2) Classic – Efforts will be taken to make the game harder and more deadly than your standard 4e game. I will still probably avoid one-shot effects as those are never much fun, but monsters will hit hard, often, and there will be more of them than usual.
    3) Normal – Your pretty standard 4e D&D fare, honestly. Death is still possible but it’s relatively rare, particularly at higher levels where you have a number of get-out-of-dead-free cards that give the PCs a decisive edge over my poor monsters.
    4) Easy – For some reason even the chance of death is too much for you. You would prefer more of a story that you play through, where death is always a vague threat but it has virtually no bite.
    5) Murder Death Kill – Seriously? I don’t even know what this option means in this context.

Permanency of Death – How hard do you want me to make it for you guys to come back from the dead, should death eventually decide to pay one or more of your PCs a visit?
    1) Dead As a Doornail – Once your PC dies, the only option is to make a new character. Fin.
    2) Just Mostly Dead – While death is not easy to recover from, there are ways to come back – quests for a resurrection, respawning as a revenant/cyborg, etc.
    3) Death – Merely a Setback! – Your stereotypical D&D game where death is easily fixable with 500GP worth of diamonds.
    4) Revolving Door – Due to desperation on the gods part, or whatever, the normal rules are suspended and the PCs can pretty much come back at will. Death will still be a setback, but mostly just a minor inconvenience that will just give the X-Ds some breathing room until you come back again.
    5) Murder Death Kill – Are you even trying anymore?

Pacing – How quickly do you want the game to move, in-game?
    1) Ludicrous Speed – The PCs level up very quickly, sometimes multiple times during a quest. We level up to 30 in a blink, and then the game is over.
    2) Fast – The PCs level up at a faster-than-normal pace, to account for the fact that this is a play-by-post game and things take a while. This may mean that events don’t have as much time to play out, however, as foes rapidly become out-leveled.
    3) Normal – Your standard 4E leveling pace of about 10 encounters/level.
    4) Marathon – A slower than normal pace of leveling, giving plenty of time to meander around and kill goblin-level threats.
    5) Murder Death Kill – I hate you.

Update Frequency – How quickly do you want the game to move, out-of-game? Keep in mind that there are limits to my ability to accommodate this.
    1) Daily – Pretty much what it says on the tin, we have updates every day, more or less rain or shine. I will not be able to do any faster than this, although you’re certainly welcome to make multiple posts a day in non-combat situations if you wish.
    2) Weekdays – Somewhat less than every day, with just about daily updates during the week but breaking during the weekend.
    3) Frequent – Roughly every two days or so, so there will probably be an update on the weekend at some point.
    4) Weekly – One update every week or so, which will lead to fairly slow pace but will give plenty of time for strategizing.
    5) Murder Death Kill – This is the last time I make this an option on a survey.

Tolerance of Homebrew – How tolerant are you of me monkeying around with the rules?
    1) Freeform – Whatever I decide to do to change the rules, you’ll go along with it.
    2) Sacred Cows – While I’m free to alter things most things, you don’t want me to touch X (please give an examples here)
    3) Good Sense – If a homerule makes sense in the context of the game, you’re fine with it.
    4) Thems the Rules – You don’t want me getting my long fingers in any part of the game, because I will inevitably screw it up from what a bunch of people at WotC, who were actually paid to design this game, came up with.
    5) Murder Death Kill – Remember above where I mentioned that this would be the last time I would put this down as an option? I lied.

Enemy Variety - Speaking of homebrew, what sort of things do you want to spend most of your time fighting?
    1) Give me everyone. EVERYONE! - You will face the full-brunt of my demented imagination. One minute you'll be fighting mutons, the next you'll be fighting sectoids mounted on dragons. Essentially, all of the favorites from X-COM but with the addition of the wide variety of monsters from 4E, plus whatever homebrew I can cook up.
    2) Give me MONSTERS - While you will fight a combination of stuff from X-COM and D&D, they will all be explicitly centered around the theme of other-worldly beings. Thus, far realm abberations are fine additions alongside the standard X-COM foes, but no dragons, orcs, demons, etc.
    3) Give me D&D - Essentially while the game will focus on fighting the Far Realm, it's more about a D&D game with X-COM flavor. So I will substitute D&D monsters regularly for X-COM foes - ogres instead of mutons, mind flayers instead of ethereals, etc.
    4) Give me X-COM - If it wasn't in one of the X-COM games, you don't want to see it here. To make things easier one me I will probably just reskin some things that are appropriate, but you would even SEE a dragon in this game.
    5) Murder Death Kill - You don't care what it is so long as you can kill it. I get it already!

Why do you like X-Com? - This is a fairly open-ended question, for once. What parts of X-Com would you like to see my try to shoe-horn into the game? Base building, resource management, grand strategy, managing and developing minion dudes, research, tactical combats (pretty much a given already with 4e)?

Anything else? - Whatever else you’d like to talk about in regards to what you’d like to see from this game.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-10 at 06:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'm here, but am at work and swamped, so survey will have to wait a few hours.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Managed to find some time; here goes:

Amount of Out-of-Combat Roleplaying:
    3ish

Coherence is important, particularly in a game that will be by definition combat intensive, though 'off-camera' events and NPC responses are perfectly fine and expected, especially if they're influenced, directly or indirectly, by the successes, failures and choices of the PCs.

Complexity of the Plot:
    2 or 3; 2.5.

To be honest though, I see elements of 4. Though we play as elite grunts, we are grunts nonetheless. It is generally up to command to figure things out, though intrigue to chew on is always welcome.

Linearity of the Plot:
    2 or 3; ~2.75.

Command is unambiguously in charge, there is no question about this. Normally they give us orders, define the objectives and we execute them and achieve those objectives on the tactical level however we see fit; at best me may at times have a choice of where we are to be deployed in the event of several compelling options that Command requires a 'tiebreaker' for. Other objectives arise over the course of a mission, whether by Command's explicit mention, or opportunism/our own initiative/observations/priorities. However, I can see exceptions to this rule potentially arising in extreme cases, hence the need to keep 2 in mind.

Scale of the Plot:

In general, but the impacts of the war, as well as the backdrop of broader combat should factor and be fleshed out.

Tone:
    1 or 2; 1.5

X-Com has always been about winning out against overwhelming odds, and often with uncertain victory, Pyrrhic results and troubling implications.

Lethality/Difficulty:
    1 or 2; 1.5

Instant kills are definitely uncool, but there's something to be said for unwinnable battles/no chance encounters where discretion is the better part of valour. There should be fights that must be avoided or otherwise circumvented/overcome in some way aside from conventional combat, while most combats should be challenging and dangerous outside of adequate tactics and planning.

Permanency of Death:
    1 or 2; 1.5

Death should be made to mean something, and there should be an unquestionable fear of it. Though some researched technologies may allow for resurrection in certain cases, a 'cybernetic' equivalent where the corpse is mostly intact and there isn't death due to overkill (being reduced to negative hit points, disintegration and similar types of death that utterly obliterate the corpse, or most effects that result in instant death when reduced to 0 hp or less), death will be otherwise permanent and indelible.

Pacing:
    2/3.

Honestly though, I'm also down with leveling at the discretion of the DM, what most players find fund as the game unfolds, or relative to our challenges, rather than keeping to any set or expected average rate of progression. This should probably be kept dynamic and flexible.

Update Frequency:
    1-2.

Keeping games moving and engaging is absolutely key to their survival in a PbP medium without question.

Tolerance of Homebrew:
    in general.

Beyond that, I'll be honest, I was hoping to employ my own house rules:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=199598

and to further field test my E10 rules:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=7141875

if you or the group aren't cool with em though, I'm perfectly fine with that and am down with vanilla 4e.

Enemy Variety:
    as a rule.

X-Com enemies transcribed into 4e as faithfully as possible. Affiliates of the aliens such as cultists in the vein of the Cult of Sirius or EXALT could be possible enemies however.

What do I like about X-Com? The thrill of facing down impossible odds against seemingly unbeatable foes and winning by the skin of one's teeth and out-thinking the foe, whether tactically or strategically.

I wouldn't mind having minions/superminion types or soldier swarms supporting/reinforcing us on certain missions, with the ability to command and deploy them; that might be kind of cool and it would give value to social skills; Diplomacy, Bluff and Intimidate could all be used to improve their combat performance, prevent them from fleeing/panicking, and make them more cooperative even in the face of daunting odds.

Overall though I would expect this game to be predominantly about the tactical level combat, with decision making about how to apply a certain level of resources/requisition allocated to us by Command: do we want better equipment, more tactical support (airstrikes and the like) or more redshirt minions?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to preface that these answers will be for an X-COM D&D game only - I expect less RP and more death in this specific campaign than I would normally sign up for in a normal game. With the disclaimer out of the way:

Amount of Out-of-Combat Roleplaying - 3. Other than the squad, commanders and the occasional mysterious backer in a black monolith, I expect to not interact with anything other than people caught in the crossfire of the missions.

Complexity of the Plot – 3. The same level of complexity as the videogame is fine, but hopefully with different twists.

Linearity of the Plot – 3. I want to play a grunt that goes where ordered, kills what shoots back, and rescues or protects he who needs it, but unless we also add a meta-play of running X-Com, my character shouldn't need to care about funding, politics, etc. (they will inevitably have opinions about those things, in the same way they will care about the weather).

Scale of the Plot – 2-3. I'd rather feel that our actions are having an important effect, all told, on the world, rather than just being one more cog in the process. I'm fine with starting out as the latter and slowly working our way up, but I don't want to end up sitting behind a desk commanding armies.

Tone – 2. Dark is fine, but some kind of light at the end of the tunnel that I can be reasonably certain is not an oncoming train is necessary. I will take RL as my depressant pill, thanks.

Lethality/Difficulty – 2, I think. On any other game 3-4 would be my speed, but X-COM is X-COM. Just lets not go all the way to Dwarf Fortress level of insanity, please.

Permanency of Death 1 - 2. Like in X-COM, give us a chance of surviving even lethal injuries. Sitting out missions won't be fun (unless we start using alts), and I intensively dislike permanent injuries, but if you can figure out a way to make almost-death a set-back, but with a chance of recovery, that would be perfect.

Pacing – 2. Every 5 or so encounters seems to hit a sweet spot in PbP, I believe.

Update Frequency – 1. I'm good with multiple updates per day, if my turn comes around that often, and I'm good for twenty back-and-forths during non-combat. I'm seldom without internet and subscribe to all my PbPs, so I tend to answer quickly, too. I am nothing if not patient with PbPs, but I'm not going to lie to you: I enjoy it much more when things move at a quick pace.

Tolerance of Homebrew – 3. I'm fine with Surrealistik's PbP adaptation, not as much with his E10 rules (which I barely understand). I'm the ultimate fence-sitter who can see the point on both sides of the argument of 4E's "tax feats", so if you want us to give us free stuff, yay! If you think we get too many feats as it is, oh well!

Enemy Variety - 3-4. Stick with the classic and modern X-COM enemies, but feel free to introduce more varieties to account that 4E doesn't work with just one type of enemy (i.e. the way it was being done in the original PbP is perfect IMnpHO)

Why do you like X-Com? Tactical combat. Yes, base-building is fun, as is budgeting and guiding research and development (although I prefer the modern "can't sell the stuff you build" to the old "you need to turn the game into a shop simulation if you want to get ahead"), but I did not expect it in the 4E D&D adaptation. If you find a way to do it (difficult in a multiplayer), good. If you can't, I won't miss it.

Grey Wolf
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Something that's stuck out to me from your two surveys, Surrealistik & Grey_Wolf_c, is that you're pretty solidly in favor of using exclusively or almost exclusively enemies from the X-Com games. I would like to ask a follow-up question to that. So it seems clear that you want to fight the enemies from X-Com, which makes sense, and that you don't want this to become some sort of generic 4E game where you're just fighting aberrations like mind flayers and such.

Fair enough, but I do want to point out that there are a number of less overused aberrations that could make for interesting enemies in conjunction with the standard X-COM foes (call them new bio-weapons that the X-Ds have developed). Particularly since the old X-COM enemies are so well-known - if you see zombies there's cryssalids around here somewhere, etc - familiarity will make this game interesting but I'm worried a bit too predictable. Furthermore, the X-Ds are not invading Earth, they are invading a fantasy world with a variety of creatures that are arguably even more spectacular than they are. I feel like we may be missing opportunities for interesting situations if we limit ourselves to the standard X-COM conflicts (if the X-COM aliens make Thin Men after meddling with human DNA, what would they make from dragons)?

So, to summarize my follow-up question, provided that the X-COM aliens that we all know and love are solidly front and center, would having some select new homebrewed aliens and appropriately themed 4E monsters be okay, or do you absolutely only want things from the game to make an appearance as foes?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    So, to summarize my follow-up question, provided that the X-COM aliens that we all know and love are solidly front and center, would having some select new homebrewed aliens and appropriately themed 4E monsters be okay, or do you absolutely only want things from the game to make an appearance as foes?
    (Note: Call me Grey Wolf. If nothing else, it's easier to type)

This is now your game. If you think you can remain faithful to the spirit of X-COM while introducing new varieties of aliens, go for it. Like the producers of Sherlock, I consider "canon" something we as a species build, not an untouchable perfect past state. That said, I would like this game to be "X-COM meets fantasy world". I'd rather They were still aliens - all that changes is that We are fantasy races. An important part of X-COM is the "weird other" feeling. I'm game with the idea that they attempt to infiltrate each society with their thin men as appropriate, and if you want to surprise us, I'm sure you can dig up obscure enemies from the sequels and what-not, but I'd rather you didn't go too far in the blending of the aliens with the standard fare of D&D.

Grey Wolf

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's sort of my point Grey Wolf - obviously anything that's not human in a world even vaguely based on the real one is weird and strange by definition. But in a fantasy world? The aliens as presented aren't really that much stranger than elves or tieflings or dragonborn. Now I don't know if your old DM limited things only to humans, but I'm guessing "no". So I'm not sure how to preserve that air of "something truly strange and wrong" in a fantasy world.

At the same time, it affords us new opportunities that I don't think have a lot of fiction. Aliens don't tend to invade a fantasy world. What do the gods think about this situation? The demons/devils/elementals/fey/etc? Having a fantasy world adapt to an invasion from another world has something fertile new ground not covered in standard invasion stories as a result, I think. And that could also be an interesting plot point to play off of - to the people of this world, who are already used to seeing strange and unusual things (to us) every day, how would an invasion from another world be any different? I think that could be more interesting than retreading the ground covered by X-COM's invasion of the strange and otherworldly. But that's just my opinion - for now I'm more interested in yours, and figuring out how to merge our preferences together later.

Also, I'm looking through that homebrew you linked Surrealistik, and will be posting my own ideas about potential homerules for the game when I get the chance to type them up and put them into clear words.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-10 at 10:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Keep in mind that the fantasy world that the game initially was intended to take place in was more 'fantasy-lite' rather than being the default 4e setting with X-Com style Far Realm critters; while the PC races may have existed, it was my understanding that a lot of the peripheral species outside of them did not.

Aliens experimenting on and mutating/'repurposing' terrestrial life however, whether through viruses, magic, technology or other means? That's pretty cool, and it fits really.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Now I don't know if your old DM limited things only to humans, but I'm guessing "no".
    Since you bring it up, you may want to take a look at how he divi'ed up the world: it was quite interesting (and much of Cinder's backstory was built around it; same for some of the other characters).

Well, that's sort of my point Grey Wolf - obviously anything that's not human in a world even vaguely based on the real one is weird and strange by definition. But in a fantasy world? The aliens as presented aren't really that much stranger than elves or tieflings or dragonborn. So I'm not sure how to preserve that air of "something truly strange and wrong" in a fantasy world.
    Since you are asking me, I would say that what would make the x-ds alien to a fantasy world is technology. Here is a whole society who know nothing of magic. If they want to set fire to something, they don't have a guy in robes chant at it, they have a guy with a metal contraption breath fire from a tube. The potential for shock is enormous, in ways that original X-COM wasn't, sort of compensating for the fact that human shock at alien life would be lessened in a fantasy world.

Grey Wolf

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Aliens do have reality warping psionics if not magic though, but I imagine this would largely be constrained to telekinesis and telepathy.

Robotic enemies of various kinds would also be a go-to for new enemy types.

That all said I don't think even technology would be particularly shock inducing at first glance (it's when the scis/techies find out magic has little to nothing to do with its functioning that this sets in) given the broad array of magical artifacts/items that exist. What really sets the X-Ds apart is they're so completely unlike anything that the Prime Material races have encountered before in just about every way.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Might be a good idea to PM the others that haven't yet responded in this thread; it's possible they're unaware of it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I did send out group PMs, don't see why they wouldn't have gotten the same PMs that you did, given that I copypastad everyone's name from the old recruitment thread. That being said, if we don't get any replies in another couple days I may need to send out another wave and/or open up a re-re-recruitment thread.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Might be a good idea to PM the others that haven't yet responded in this thread; it's possible they're unaware of it.
    I'd say they haven't posted because it's Sunday. I never have understood why, but a lot of people seem to post less, or not at all, during weekends.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-12 at 07:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Saturday I can understand, Sunday not so much, but fair enough; let's wait and see if anyone else posts on Mon/Tues.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: X-Com: The Fourth Dimension (OOC Thread)

I will read and response right now! Have been in a place with really bad internet for the last 3 weeks, but now i'm back home!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Amount of Out-of-Combat Roleplaying
    3, I usually would chose 2, but for this game 3 is more suitable I think!

Complexity of the Plot
    3, but some times could be 4 as well...

Linearity of the Plot
    3, but with some aspect of 2 as well, maybe some mission could be a bit more open ended.

Scale of the Plot
    3, maybe with some 2 at higher levels, with the presence of small-scale wars.

Tone

Lethality/Difficulty
    3, some battles/mission could be 2.

Permanency of Death
    At lower levels: 2; At higher levels: 3, maybe we could get some alien technology that help reviving our heroes or something like that.

Pacing

Update Frequency

Tolerance of Homebrew

Enemy Variety
    4 Give me X-COM!!

I love X-Com, it have a good plot, it make me have that sense of emergency, and it is an amazing strategy game! The base build and using alien technology in our advantage is also fun!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, well that's three - just need at least one more person to reply now. I'm going to extend an invitation to Irish Musician to join us as well, that way we'll have at least 4 for sure, and no more than 6 even if everyone does reply.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm here as well. I've waited to post since I haven't found the time to complete the survey just yet.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2014-01-14 at 02:48 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, well that's three - just need at least one more person to reply now. I'm going to extend an invitation to Irish Musician to join us as well, that way we'll have at least 4 for sure, and no more than 6 even if everyone does reply.
    great!

Just in case I will re-post my character: Khitan, Speech color SeaGreen
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-14 at 12:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azktor View Post
    Just in case I will re-post my character: Khitan, Speech color SeaGreen
    Good idea:

Cinder Ashborn,Pixie Harrier, Speech colour Sienna

GW

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Hey guys, Inspectre PM'd me and asked me join y'all! What roles do we need filled? I can, really, make anything you need.

Survey:

Amount of Out-of-Combat Roleplaying - I'd say a 2.5 on this one. I love RP and being able to write it out is something I have loved doing on the forums. And it is why I stay here even though I have had countless characters get dropped due to games dying.

Complexity of the Plot – I too would say about a 2.5

Linearity of the Plot – 2 or 3 here as well I think.

Scale of the Plot – More a 3 here for me, with bits of 2 slumped in there.

Tone – 1 to 2 I'd say, maybe.

Lethality/Difficulty – I've always liked "getting by the encounter by the skin of your nose, so I too will say 1.5.

Permanency of Death - I have no qualms about having to reroll a character and I would even say that I Would LOVE to have a character die in a campaign, as I have not yet had one die in a game. I did have one die, but it was more of a "do you want your character dead or to roll up a new one?" so I opted for a new one. So I don't really count that one

Pacing – In Pbp I have always been one of the school of quick quick quick leveling. So I'd say 1.25.

Update Frequency – .01

Tolerance of Homebrew – I love homebrew classes/races, so I'm up for whatever there. In terms of rules, I love Surreal's rules as well and actually use them when I DM, so I will suggest we use those.

Enemy Variety - Up to you boss

Why do you like X-Com? - I actually have no idea what X-Com is, however I'd love to get a least a little history on it and read up on it so I'm not totally lost. Just from what I have picked up from reading other people's posts, it is an alien/human war that we aren't necessarily going to win, but we probably will.

EDIT: I see a defender isn't here from the other game, should I make a defender since it looks like we don't have one?
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2014-01-14 at 02:49 PM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:
    The Godkiller - OOC - Map

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Musician View Post
    Hey guys, Inspectre PM'd me and asked me join y'all! What roles do we need filled? I can, really, make anything you need.
    It seems we have a controller, a leader and a couple of strikers, so a defender wouldn't go amiss.

GW

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It seems we have a controller, a leader and a couple of strikers, so a defender wouldn't go amiss.

GW
    Cool. Will look at the character making post and go from there. Anything you specifically want as a defender?
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:
    The Godkiller - OOC - Map

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest, I don't "want" a defender or, for that matter, any other specific type. I want a character you will want to play until the heat death of the universe, so, quite literally, whatever makes you happy.

In the battle we played, our defender was ham-stringed by lack of ranged attacks, so I would say to keep that in mind, but since the DM has changed, I am not sure that is still a relevant caution. X-COM is a "ranged cover" game, which 4e lends itself to emulate, sure, but in the end it all comes down to what monsters the DM picks.

Grey Wolf