The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Avatar d20: Shadows of Kyoshi (Out of Character)

Alright guys, here we go. In case you've forgotten already, here's the groups:
    Group A/Firates? Group B
    Glarx (Kazumi) Thokk_Smash (Sefu)
    Batpope Scott (Yuan Seng) Autumnlotus (Yan Ling)
    BornValyrian (Tanuk) theterran (Anil)
    Jimmy_Whisper (Jurou) xwiry (Tulugaak)

And now, what you've all really been waiting for: I present your character bonuses!
    Spoiler: Group A - The Firates?
    Show
    • Kazumi: Master of the Inner Flame: you receive a +2 bonus on all Charisma checks and skill checks. In addition, you may also add any two Charisma-based skills to your Firebender skill list.
    • Yuan Seng: Born to the Blade: you receive the Blade Meditation (Diamond Mind) and Improved Unarmed Strike feats as Bonus Feats.
    • Tanuk: Heart of the Storm: you receive the Stormheart feat as a Bonus Feat, and a +2 insight bonus to initiative.
    • Jorou: Dragonchild: Once per day at first level (and one additional time at every fifth level), you may enter a state of draconic fury. This gives you a +2 racial bonus to Firebending checks, and your Effective Firebender level counts as if it was 4 levels higher for the purpose of maximum sustainable bending times. This state of fury lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom modifer plus one quarter (round down) of your Firebender levels. While in this state, you loose the ability to understand and speak any language.

Spoiler: Group B
    Show
    • Sefu: Way of the Touzikaze: you gain both the Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus feats for the katana as Bonus Feats. In addition, you receive a +1 bonus to airbending checks with a katana, and may use it with any seed that you could use a gliderstaff for (excepting flight). If you use it in combination with the Air Scythe seed, you may increase the damage to use d10s instead of d4s.
    • Yan Ling: Waterbender Trained: You gain the Child of the Moon class feature from the Waterbender, however it applies to your Earthbending checks. You may also use loose particles (or mud) as easily as you would solid blocks, giving you the option to deal non-lethal damage with your Earth Blast. At 7th level, you lose access to the Heads-on-Defense class feature and instead gain access to the Waterbender's Circular Attack feature at 10th level, but only when using loose particles (or mud).
    • Anil: working on it...
    • Tulugaak: working on it...

Alright, now, feel free to organize your character sheets anew and weave your backstories into one another. The IC thread for Group A should be up later this evening (if they keep progressing at the speed that they have been), and Group B will go up once I've heard from them.

Again, I really encourage you to come up with something cooler than Group A/B.

Game Introduction
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is Avatar Kyoshi’s silver anniversary – 25 years as a fully realized Avatar.

Thanks to the tireless work of Avatar Kuruk, the world has been at peace for an entire generation following the disastrous eruption of the volcano in the north-western Earth Kingdoms. Ash blanketed the entire northern half of the continent, and hundreds of thousands of people, both Earth Kingdom and Nomads from the Northern Air Temple, died due to crop failures and choking to death on the ashes of the mighty volcano Asagitatsu.

But the world is at peace no longer, and she’s got a lot of work ahead of her. The Earth Kingdoms are in conflict – in the North, an influential general by the name of Chin is getting increasing support from the peasantry for his role in organizing the Air Temples tribute while the 46th Earth King sits on his mighty throne behind the secure walls of Ba Sing Se, the Impenetrable City.

The Fire Nation’s infighting has been getting increasingly volatile for decades – the waegu, water-bound pirates, have been raiding coastal areas all around the world, including both poles. While the most powerful Great Names of the wave clans have been powerless to stop them save sanctions, there are rumours of calling in the Avatar to deal with the problem.

There’s also increasing friction between the Water Tribes – while the Northern Tribe has bowed down to Avatar Kuruk’s commandment that women, and only women, shall practice waterbending healing, the Southern Tribes abandoned the decree as soon as Avatar Kuruk’s death was announced.

The Air Nomads continue on as they have for the past hundred years. While rumours of surviving members of the White Wind still surface occasionally, people have begun thinking of them as more legend that historical fact. Teenage Air Nomads still roam the air currents, getting the youthful exuberance out of their system before they settle down. They do, of course, cause trouble with the local Fire Nation and Earth Kingdoms folk, but they’re gone so fast that they escape the wrath of the farmers.

This year will come to be known as 266 BSC.

The 4 Nations (changes from Canon)

Air Nomads
    Bound by Teachings, defined by Independence, and its people have Freedom
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tengri, the Autumn Lord, is the Great Spirit of the Air. The most unchanged from Canon – male monks in the North/Southern Temples, females from the East/West. Airbenders are raised by the Temple - males split evenly between the North and South, and females to the Temple that they weren't born in. The thought of familial attachments is completely foreign to them - their closest analogue is the teacher/student bond.

Although it's not told to anyone other than women and the Elders, not all Air Nomads were born benders. These non-bending Air Nomads were adopted away as soon as it was evident that they weren't benders.

The White Wind was present during the age of Avatar Yangchen – think the Mongols. Yeah. Raping, burning and pillaging? They did it all. So there’s traces of Air Nomad blood pretty much everywhere.

The primary source for Airbenders in this campaign is Temple-trained. There are also going to be four other (extrememly rare) origins: the Touzaikaze (airbenders hiding amongst the sandbenders of the Si Wong Desert), surviving individual master/students from the White Wind, the yamabushi (mountain sages) hiding on Mount Shirotora in the Fire Nation domain of Byakko, and spread out among the various other Fire Nation domains as onmitsu (think Ty Lee).

Earth Kingdoms
    Bound by Contracts, defined by Tradition, and its people have Perseverance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guanyin is the Great Spirit of Earth, and Oma and Shu are her lieutenants. While all the fiefdoms in the Earth Kingdoms pay tribute to the Earth King in Ba Sing Se, they are often more loyal to their immediate kings, such as the King of Omashu. Little changed from canon otherwise.

Fire Nation
    Bound by Loyalty, defined by Power, and its people have Determination
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agni, the Great Spirit of Fire, is the main ‘God’ of the Fire Nation. The Fire Nation is split into two main categories: The wave clans and the mountain clans. The wave clans are the ‘friendlier’ of the two, and they live in the low-lands (think Vietnam). They’ve also been known to harbour waegu (unofficially, of course). The mountain clans are more insular, but also more honourable. Each of these categories is also split in many smaller categories known as domains. Domains are not (necessarily) a geographical region – it’s a group of people all swearing loyalty to the same noble, called a Great Name. There is only one family line of Great Names in each domain. For example, the domain of Shu Jing (where Piandao lives in the future) is a mountain clan. The Fire Nation has two distinct languages – Common, which everyone in the world speaks, and High Court, which is the ‘offical’ language, used in documents and mandatory to learn by all officers and nobles.

Oh yeah – and every. Single. Firebender. Is. Descended. From. Dragons. Where else did you think the golden eyes came from? They don't tell people of other nations this, though. Ever.

Water Tribes
    Water- Bound by Family, defined by Community, and its people have Adaptability
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tui and La, the Moon and Ocean, are the main spirits that the Water Tribes worship. There are three major groups of Water Tribes – the Northern (which is pretty much unchanged), the Foggy Swamp (also unchanged, although there are rumours of the Foggy Swamp interbreeding with certain merchant Fire Nation domains) and the Southern Water Tribes. The Southern Water Tribes are a loosely allied group of tribes that have been known to raid the Earth Kingdoms, Fire Nation and even each other for needed supplies or for more human reasons. Waterbending training in the South and Foggy Swamp are usually one-on-one due to lower populations, while the Northern trains under a single master (or a small selection of Masters)

Campaign Rules
    Spoiler
    Show

System: 3.5e

Player Count: Looking for 3.

Style of Play: Open world with overarching plotline (pseudo-sandbox).

Allowed Content: The GitP Bending classes v2.0 (Airbender, Earthbender, Firebender and Waterbender), the GitP Martial Artist and Rangers of the same project, and any other Official mundane base class that you can justify. As for martial adepts, I'm inclined to allow TG Oskar's Blademaster (forbidding Desert Fire/Shadow Hand, as they're too supernatural) as well, while the 'core' three would not be allowed. Oriental Adventures will be used as well, so feel free to pick the (non-Rokugan oriented/non-samurai) stuff out of there, like the weapons and feats. The feats found on the Avatar d20 site are also explicitly allowed. Most "mundane" things from any WotC product should be alright, but be sure to run it by me first.

Variants Used: Class Defense Bonus, Armor as DR, Vitality/Wound Points and Initiator level = BAB (for Martial Study/Stance feats).

Character Creation
    • Backstory: Of course. Your nationality and bending/non-bending capacity is your own choice, but beyond that, the sky is the limit. You will be judged greatly on the quality of the work you put into creating your character, and while a mechanically deficient application isn't likely to get in, neither will one whose fluff doesn't draw my interest. This will be a game as much about the quality of the writing of all those involved as anything else, so plan accordingly. Please try and make your background end with you in the shady Earth Kingdom port of Senlin Harbor; that's where the campaign starts. If you don't, I'll make you there.
    • Level of Play: 1st level
    • Wealth: As Starting Class (Benders get wealth as Druids)
    • Ability Scores: 30 Point-Buy
    • Vitality Points: Max at first level, half +1 for ever other level (d6s get 3+1 [4], d8s get 4+1 [5], etc...)
    • Alignment: Technically any, although please be able to work as part of a team.
    • Flaws/Traits: While Flaws are explicitly banned, you may choose a single trait.

WARNING: If your character does not fit into the world, it will not be considered a serious submission and will be ignored. If you don’t have enough dedication to read the short descriptions provided above, you certainly won’t be dedicated enough to play. (So please, no firebenders named something like... Bob. Air Nomads come from Hindu roots, Earth Kingdom from Imperial China, Fire Nation from Japan and the Water Tribes from the Inuit people, for the most part)

Most of these rules can be found here

New Feats (For this campaign specifically)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Open Minded: All of the elements are, at heart, connected. By study of other cultures and their bending arts, you have managed to adapt one of their techniques to your own element.
    Prerequisite: Knowledge (bending) 6 ranks, DM approval
    Benefit: The next bending seed that you acquire may come from any list (pending DM approval).
    Special: You may take this feat up to three times.

Will of Legend: Your determination and force of will are so powerful that it lets you fight with spirits on equal ground without being a bender.
    Prerequisite: Base Will Save +2, Base Attack +6
    Benefit: You may ignore an amount of DR on any [spirit] creature equal to your Base Attack Bonus. Your attacks also count as magical for the purposes of overcoming incorporeality.
    Special: You may not possess any ranks in any bending skill to take this feat.

Dodge: For the purposes of this campaign, the Dodge feat gives you a flat +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class. I've always found it ridiculous that you have to specify a Dodge target.

Note: Many features of Embers will be ported over to this game – while having read Embers is not a requirement, it might be helpful to gain some context and insight. (There's also the Embers Cheat Sheet - fair warning, though, it is a TV Tropes link.)

IMPORTANT: This is very early in Kyoshi's centuries long career. Chin is still alive, Kyoshi Island is still called the Samran Peninsula, and there are no Dai Li.

Spoiler: Big 16 cheatsheet
    Show
    The Big 16 Guidelines (supplemental)
    1. What game system are you running? Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e
    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? Avatar d20 game, using the 2.0 Bending rules as found here.
    3. How many Players are you looking for? Ideally, I'm looking for about 3 players. If this goes well (and there's sufficient interest), I'm considering starting up a second group about 4/5 levels behind the first (likely with the same 'adventure' to make life easier on me).
    4. What's the gaming medium? On these forums here.
    5. What is the characters' starting status? First level, please - the bending classes in particular take a lot of DM/Player co-operation if they want to make a variety of forms, and I'd like to ease into it.
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? First level wealth, Benders get gold as a druid.
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Humans only, and you may pick from any of the classes discussed on the Avatar d20 homepage there, with the addition of TG Oskar's Blademaster (no Desert Fire/Shadow Hand Blademasters will be taken as a serious character. Devoted Spirit heals your Vitality Points, not your Wound Points).
    8. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 30 Point Buy.
    9. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Might as well use Alignment, for sheer ease-of-use reference. Just be sure that you can work as part of a team (Eg. no Chaotic Stupid, etc...)
    10. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Multi-classing is fine, but if you want to be a bender, you must take it as your first level. Due to the way the world works, you either have it, or you don't. You cannot spontaneously develop it later in life.
    11. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? I'll be making all of the Out of Combat Rolls as they come up, but you can initiate one on your own if you'd like (Eg. I'll make Spot/Listen checks for you, but you could initiate a Gather Information check to find something out).
    12. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Shown above, we'll be embracing Armor as DR, Class Defense Bonuses, Vitality/Wound Points and Initiator Level=your Base Attack Bonus (for the purpose of the Martial Study/Stance feats).
    13. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular? Yes, a background will be required. As I'm intending this to be a pseudo-sandbox, it's important for me to know what kind of feedback I'll be getting. I would appreciate it if you guys could all end up in the rough-and-tumble Earth Kingdom port of Senlin Harbor in your backgrounds (if not, I'll figure out a way to place you there).
    14. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? I'm shooting for a mix of the above, but less emphasis on the puzzle solving (unless the White Lotus or a secret society is involved. Then all bets are off).
    15. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? As discussed above, they have access to anything on the Avatar d20 website, most of Oriental Adventures (run it by me first, though) and TG Oskar's Blademaster. I'm willing to entertain the thought of allowing the second discipline of the Blademaster to be Homebrewed, but we'll tackle that a bit closer to tenth level.

Player Character Class Description/Basic Info
    Thokk_Smash Sefu Airbender 1 An airbender of the Touzikaze with a yen for adventure
    Glarx Kazumi Firebender 1 A firebender of minor noble blood who craves power (and a purpose)
    Batpope Scott Yuan Seng Blademaster (DM) 1 A wandering swordsman of the Earth Kingdoms
    Autumnlotus Yan Ling Earthbender 1 An unusual earthbender who's influenced by waterbending
    BornValyrian Tanuk Waterbender 1 An orphaned waterbender wandering the Fire Isles
    theterran Anil Airbender 1 A studious airbender wandering the Earth Kingdoms
    Jimmy_Whisper Jurou Firebender 1 A scarred firebender with a grudge
    xwiry Tulugaak Waterbender 1 A shy waterbender who seeks to emulate earthbenders

Votering Encumbrance Reputation
    Votes (6)
    +4
    Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2014-05-17 at 10:19 PM.

The Power of the Orient: A Wu Jen Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S. Kemp
    Frankly, I think the designers and novelists did great work in the post-Spellplague Realms. But, in the end, this wasn’t a new setting. It was the Realms, the Realms 100 years later, and therein lay the problem.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar d20: Shadows of Kyoshi (Out of Character)

Yaaaaaay!

Charisma checks for eeeeveryone!

Kazumi Min will speak in Dark Orchid, as is my way.
    Last edited by Glarx; 2014-05-17 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Because Tarquin is only capable of loving that which is utterly subservient to his sense of order.
    Fabulous Rogue Trader with Power Sword, Plasma Pistol and Holo-suit by The Architect. How phenomenal! Thank you very much!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glarx View Post
    Yaaaaaay!

Charisma checks for eeeeveryone!
    Hey, you wanted to be socially adept, so I accommodated the best I could (within reason).

Frankly, I think the designers and novelists did great work in the post-Spellplague Realms. But, in the end, this wasn’t a new setting. It was the Realms, the Realms 100 years later, and therein lay the problem.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

And I thank you for it. She doesn't know it yet, but Kaz will be a great leader some day. Or she'll die trying, regardless.
    Because Tarquin is only capable of loving that which is utterly subservient to his sense of order.
    Fabulous Rogue Trader with Power Sword, Plasma Pistol and Holo-suit by The Architect. How phenomenal! Thank you very much!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

No problem.

And since this has caught a few people, I'll just toss this here:
    Bending Range: The distance from which a bender can draw or extend any of her forms is 30 ft + 5 feet per two class levels. Going further is possible, but every 5 feet beyond this range adds a +2 to the Bending DC of the seed. A form that begins within this ‘safe’ range but extends beyond it can fall short, and any element being used simply falls from the bender’s control, acting naturally (water being absorbed into the ground, earth rolling downhill, etc.). If the form’s DC reaches the bender’s roll without completely finishing its course, it dissipates at that point and acts naturally.
    Also, just like spells with attack rolls, a Bending Blast threatens on a roll of 20 and deals double damage if confirmed.

EDIT: One more thing! Masterwork tools for bending do not exist.
    Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2014-05-17 at 06:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

*runs in circles, wildly excited at having an overdrive mode/barbarian rage*

Jurou will claim Fire Brick, if it please.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    EDIT: One more thing! Masterwork tools for bending do not exist.
    Can't blame a girl for tryin'.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_Whisper View Post
    *runs in circles, wildly excited at having an overdrive mode/barbarian rage*

Jurou will claim Fire Brick, if it please.
    Hey, you told me what you wanted, I tried to deliver. You've probably got a grandparent that's a dragon, by the way (Yes I can alter people's backstories spontaneously. Fear me).

Can't blame a girl for tryin'.
    Yes, I can. Watch me.
    Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2014-05-17 at 06:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yes, I can. Watch me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

So... I could buy a horse and cart for the group to ride in... should I? Would that be a worthwhile investment, or is our horse (theoretically named Horsey, until named by the appropriate subcommittee) gonna get butchered in the first few minutes of the game?

Or a wagon and two ponies, which is also doable. If we could refluff the ponies into more Avatar-esque creatures, that wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Actually, mules/donkeys would be the most cost-effective method, and I think they have a higher strength than ponies... more research required.
    Last edited by Glarx; 2014-05-17 at 06:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

While I'm sure we'll become a group promptly, I don't get the impression that we're starting as a party right out of the gate, so your cart and beasts of burden would be for you and whomever you're starting the adventure in the company of. Up to you, basically.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Wagon and mules purchased. I hope they can become ostrich-mules or some other bizarre mixture of animals.

Actually, scratch that. I want a carriage. Because I'm a noble, and I'm worth it.
    Last edited by Glarx; 2014-05-17 at 06:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Also, just like spells with attack rolls, a Bending Blast threatens on a roll of 20 and deals double damage if confirmed.
    Actually, if we're using Vitality/Wound points, they don't do double damage: They do damage straight to a target's wound points, like every other critical hit. Unless we're not using that part of the variant, which me and my 10 constitution are supportive of.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nice...I'm here. Looking forward to this =)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, if we're using Vitality/Wound points, they don't do double damage: They do damage straight to a target's wound points, like every other critical hit. Unless we're not using that part of the variant, which me and my 10 constitution are supportive of.
    An excellent point - I was just going off of memory and I'd forgotten that we were using the Vitality/Wound variant.

Quote Originally Posted by theterran View Post
    Nice...I'm here. Looking forward to this =)
    Looking at these, have any suggestions for yourself (nothing specific, just... generalities)?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Can 't wait!
    Tanuk will speak in Blue.

Any last minute equipment suggestions?
    Feel free to call me Born.

Dm-ing: Pawns of the Great Game
    Player: Ka'lakxi in Cuzto halflings

Targaryen sorcerer avatar by starwoof

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Firewood. As much as you can buy.

We need to make an ark.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BornValyrian View Post
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Can 't wait!
    Tanuk will speak in Blue.

Any last minute equipment suggestions?
    An AK-47, but, other than that, I think trail rations should be pretty useful.

19. - Top - End - #19

Anil will speak in Dark Orange

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So... How are folks?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Antsy. How're you?

22. - Top - End - #22

This is my first Avatar game, so we'll see

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

This is my first Avatar game, so we'll see
    Mine too! I'm marathoning A:TLA currently, and some of the dialogue is far more painful than I recalled.

How is one expected to get DC 45 without being level 20?

At level 1, I have a Bending skill of 8. At 20 I'll have: +2 for being during the day, +2 from synergy, +4 from my charisma modifier. Then I have another 19 to go, which I can put in one each level. Won't I only really be able to hit DC45 with any assurance at level 20?

Like, most of these DCs (at least for firebenders, I haven't investigated the other elemental seeds) are absurdly high. I guess they don't want you flying as a firebender before level 20!
    Last edited by Glarx; 2014-05-17 at 09:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Here's my math: 2 (Synergy) + 2 (Daylight) + 3 (Skill Focus) + 5 (Estimated Wisdom Bonus after level 12) + 4 (Focused Bending on the seed in question) = 16. 45-16-10(from taking 10)=19. 19 is the number of ranks in my firebending at level 16, and I'm lucky enough to have my special feature give me a temporary +2, so I'll be able to churn out lightning in a tight spot from level 14 on, as well as fly for a decent period.

It's important to remember that the number of ranks you have in a class skill you're keeping at max is level+3.

EDIT: Also worth pointing out that, yes, you'll only really be able to pop off a DC 45 skill from level 20 on, but that's what makes things that have a DC like that a great feat. Every character in the series when it starts is, in the Avatar d20 system, a 15th level character or higher, they all just happen to be extremely prodigious benders, and the exception when it comes to bending skill. Zuko could easily put down any of the other benders on his ship when the series starts, and these are soldiers that have struck fear into the heart of the world. Do NOT use the show as a jumping-off point for power level and age, except for Pakku (a whopping 3 levels higher than Katara, and 50+ years older) and Iroh. Actually, the White Lotus, as a whole, is a good example of realistic power levels based on time spent learning the bending/style of fighting.
    Last edited by Jimmy_Whisper; 2014-05-17 at 09:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Mine too! I'm marathoning A:TLA currently, and some of the dialogue is far more painful than I recalled.
    Yeah, especially Aang and Katara... they can be downright painful. Iroh's always awesome, though.

How is one expected to get DC 45 without being level 20?

At level 1, I have a Bending skill of 8. At 20 I'll have: +2 for being during the day, +2 from synergy, +4 from my charisma modifier. Then I have another 19 to go, which I can put in one each level. Won't I only really be able to hit DC45 with any assurance at level 20?

Like, most of these DCs (at least for firebenders, I haven't investigated the other elemental seeds) are absurdly high. I guess they don't want you flying as a firebender before level 20!
    There's also the Focused Bending feat, to get another +4 (on a single seed), and Skill Focus (Bending) for another +3. And you don't necessarily have to take 10 (as you acknowledged), so risk-free bending means less rewards, but with a chance of failure.

Don't worry about it for now - How about you post in the Firate's IC thread instead?

EDIT: Damn, Ty Lee'd on those two feats.
    Last edited by Kuulvheysoon; 2014-05-17 at 09:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

So I'd have to have Focused Seed in order to do it before 20, since that +4 lowers the rank from 20 to 16. (It's essentially giving 4 levels' worth of skillpoints, if that makes sense.) Isn't it strange that the only way to perform most of our seeds is if we focus in them? And given the paltry number of feats we have, doesn't that sort of reduce the amount of things we get to do? The templates are also absurdly overDC'd, so those are pretty much a waste to use (from what I can tell, anyways).

EDIT: I have Skill Focus already accounted for. Having to use one of my precious feats so that I can actually make use of my abilities is weird. Are the other seeds equally DCed, or is it just firebending?
    Last edited by Glarx; 2014-05-17 at 09:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A lot of the seeds have high DCs, but firebending is easily the most powerful in terms of combat, as reflected by a tiny nation putting up an effective land and naval war on three separate fronts, against groups who specialize in land and naval warfare.

28. - Top - End - #28

You can't take 10 if under duress anyway...so roll those d20s

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT: Also worth pointing out that, yes, you'll only really be able to pop off a DC 45 skill from level 20 on, but that's what makes things that have a DC like that a great feat. Every character in the series when it starts is, in the Avatar d20 system, a 15th level character or higher, they all just happen to be extremely prodigious benders, and the exception when it comes to bending skill. Zuko could easily put down any of the other benders on his ship when the series starts, and these are soldiers that have struck fear into the heart of the world. Do NOT use the show as a jumping-off point for power level and age, except for Pakku (a whopping 3 levels higher than Katara, and 50+ years older) and Iroh. Actually, the White Lotus, as a whole, is a good example of realistic power levels based on time spent learning the bending/style of fighting.
    Bah. This argument sways me, but it does not endear me to the system.

A lot of the seeds have high DCs, but firebending is easily the most powerful in terms of combat, as reflected by a tiny nation putting up an effective land and naval war on three separate fronts, against groups who specialize in land and naval warfare.
    Their military was also aided by technological marvels unlike any the world had seen, as well as a simultaneously military-industrial complex and cult of personality. Embers expands that a bit, from what I've seen on TVTropes, and the comparison to Imperial Japan aren't amiss (from what I recall from AP World History, anyways!). It's definitely the most aggressive of the bendings, but I don't think we can point to the Fire Nation's military victories as a testimony to the strength of their bending versus other benders.

EDIT:
    You can't take 10 if under duress anyway...so roll those d20s
    Taking 10: Benders may choose to take 10 on any bending check, unless rushed or threatened. For the purposes of this, combat does not count as being rushed, though an opponent threatening a bender in combat does prevent her from taking 10 on bending checks.
    Last edited by Glarx; 2014-05-17 at 09:57 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Keep in mind that Water/Earthbenders also need a source of their own element, while Firebenders carry theirs with them (much like Airbenders)

She directed the animals towards one of the cat-owlhouses. Perhaps there she could find some sort of work, some sort of job that would replenish her dwindling coffers. Or, at the least, perhaps she could get into a fight and burn someone's skull black. Whichever came first.
    ...Just so you know, cat-owlhouses are the in-universe (at least, for me) of a cathouse (AKA Brothel/Whorehouse). So, you may want to look for work somewhere else...