The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: X-Com: The Fourth Dimension (OOC Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    To be honest, I don't "want" a defender or, for that matter, any other specific type. I want a character you will want to play until the heat death of the universe, so, quite literally, whatever makes you happy.

In the battle we played, our defender was ham-stringed by lack of ranged attacks, so I would say to keep that in mind, but since the DM has changed, I am not sure that is still a relevant caution. X-COM is a "ranged cover" game, which 4e lends itself to emulate, sure, but in the end it all comes down to what monsters the DM picks.

Grey Wolf
    Having played as many classes, characters, and races as I have.....I can be happy playing pretty much anything. But here is a concept I have, so let me bounce it off of you.

Guy joins the army to fight the aliens, gets blown up by an alien bomb, but lives through it. His body is broken and a lot of it is missing, but he still wants to live. SO, they make him a cyborg, graft robotic parts all over him and in some instances have to replace whole limbs with robotic limbs. He gets done in the hospital and proves with his super strength and "roboticness" that he is more than just a "normal solider" now. Gets recruited into the XCom squad.

Going to make him a Warden, and before his body was destroyed he was deeply connected to the forest/wildlife. Grew up in the forests and wanted to help keep them alive by defending his world against the aliens. Even though he is now mostly mechanical, he stays true to the natural spirits in the world and retains his natural spirituality.

So, mechanically, Warforged (heh) Warden, and might MC into a Shaman for fluff. Might do that in later levels as a cool RP thing, so he is trying to connect back to the spirits after the surgery and eventually gains a spirit companion.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:
    The Godkiller - OOC - Map

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Musician View Post
    Guy joins the army to fight the aliens, gets blown up by an alien bomb, but lives through it. His body is broken and a lot of it is missing, but he still wants to live. SO, they make him a cyborg, graft robotic parts all over him and in some instances have to replace whole limbs with robotic limbs. He gets done in the hospital and proves with his super strength and "roboticness" that he is more than just a "normal solider" now. Gets recruited into the XCom squad.
    This concept wouldn't really fit the original context we were given, but, again, that means nothing with a new DM who may or may not use it. I personally would rather you didn't introduce cyborgs on our side, but Surrealistik disagrees with me on the "Us magic vs. Them technology" angle anyway, so ignore that at your leisure. Besides, there are magical ways to fix a soldier magic-wise that still produce a warforged, so all it would take is some fluffing to remove electrically powered actuators and put in magically-enhanced pottery limbs.

As for actual constructive criticism, I'd say that it would work better if the order of events was "regular soldier, got blown up, X-COM 'acquired' him from his military, X-COM is the ones responsible for turning him into a construct" rather than have the operation happen outside X-COM and then get recruited.

Any particular race he used to be? Or just vanilla human?

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-14 at 04:04 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

This concept wouldn't really fit the original context we were given, but, again, that means nothing with a new DM who may or may not use it. I personally would rather you didn't introduce cyborgs on our side, but Surrealistik disagrees with me on the "Us magic vs. Them technology" angle anyway, so ignore that at your leisure. Besides, there are magical ways to fix a soldier magic-wise that still produce a warforged, so all it would take is some fluffing to remove electrically powered actuators and put in magically-enhanced pottery limbs.

As for actual constructive criticism, I'd say that it would work better if the order of events was "regular soldier, got blown up, X-COM 'acquired' him from his military, X-COM is the ones responsible for turning him into a construct" rather than have the operation happen outside X-COM and then get recruited.

Any particular race he used to be? Or just vanilla human?

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Guess when Inspectre gets on again I can ask him what he thinks about the whole cyborg thing. And I am actually fine with it being "magically-enhanced" forged iron (his name now is Ferrum actually) instead of it being strictly "electronic systems" kind of a thing. Which, given his Warden status, might work better anyway.

I like the idea of him becoming a cyborg due to XCOM's hand as opposed to outside of their reach as well. That is a nice twist I didn't think about while I was writing up that quick description. And I am going with he used to be just a vanilla human. Just an average Joe, that wasn't necessarily scrawny like Cpt America was, but more of just a normal guy who volunteered, and happened to get blown up in the process.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Guess when Inspectre gets on again I can ask him what he thinks about the whole cyborg thing.
    Yep, he's the one whose opinion actually counts. Me, I'm just loudmouthed, as you very well know.

And I am going with he used to be just a vanilla human. Just an average Joe, that wasn't necessarily scrawny like Cpt America was, but more of just a normal guy who volunteered, and happened to get blown up in the process.
    Fair enough, but it doesn't fit the woods connection as well as, say, satyrs or elves. Since the race will be all fluff, you might as well throw in some fun stuff.

Grey Wolf
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, he's the one whose opinion actually counts. Me, I'm just loudmouthed, as you very well know.
    I don't know about loudmouthed, but I am never at a loss for what your opinion is Which I always like hearing, whether or not I use it.
    Fair enough, but it doesn't fit the woods connection as well as, say, satyrs or elves. Since the race will be all fluff, you might as well throw in some fun stuff.

Grey Wolf
    True, but I was going with what the OP said about the cities of the world, which like you said, may now be irrelevant. I might go with a half-elf even, but now that you say Satyr, might be a fun race to put into a giant iron suit with NON cloven feet Half of his face is metal, the other is still his Satyr flesh with only one horn left over from the explosion. Hmm, good ideas to think about GW. As always thanks for being my ideas bounce-board.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for the double, but wanted to make a separate post for my character stuff. Here is my sheet for Ferrum, Warden. As I have said, mechanically he is a Warforged, but fluff-wise he won't be. He will be a cyborg created after his body was destroyed, remade by XCOM. Because, you know, they can rebuild him....they have the alchemy...

I will update this post later with mannerisms, background, appearance, and I will try to find a appropriate picture for him. I haven't yet decided the race he was before all of this, as GW has given me some good food for thought, but that will be updated in the background as well. Let me know what you guys think!
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2014-02-15 at 11:59 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually was going to make a warforged character myself for this game, so I have no problems mechanically with it. Given that most people are fine with death being serious but not quite permanent, we probably will have cybernetic characters at some point anyway. I was kinda hoping to make that a result of research though, hrm . . . how about this.

Kinda like Captain America, you are currently a unique prototype from one nation's black ops military projects. They wanted to see if they could bring someone back from the dead - either by binding your character's soul into a golem (thus making a warforged), or replacing most of the fleshy bits with metal - I'll leave that fluff up to you. Your character died in some skirmish - since it's still the early days of the war I'm not sure if it should be against the X-Ds just yet, but if you have your heart set on some sort of tale of rebirth and revenge against the X-Ds then okay - it was some scouting party that no one had any idea what they even were at the time. After your character's resurrection, he was recruited into X-COM.

Also, from the sounds of it, we'll have a defender (you), a controller, two strikers, and possibly two leaders. I'm a little conflicted about having two leaders, as if there's anything that's OP in 4E, it's having more than one leader giving out two healing surges per fight. I suppose I'll figure something out if I can't convince Deadline or Hircine to switch over.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I think this is probably a good place to start.

But basically, yes, it's a tactical/strategy game about aliens invading Earth, and the covert ops unit that fights against them.

Oh, and while there generally is a focus on ranged combat, I do intend to have more melee-based enemies. But even if I didn't, there is one particularly melee-based enemy in the basic strategy game that people are going to very much want a tank to hide behind feed to it. (Here's a demonstration video - the moment is at 1:34 - blink and you will miss it. )
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-14 at 10:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly like it when two leaders are in the party. Esp if one focuses more on healing, and the other leans more to striking or controlling....or even defending. That way we do have one actual healing, and another character than can heal, but focuses more on disrupting the enemies or buffing allies.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Character repost:

Kaeravak, Tiefling Fire Elementalist: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=668285

"Speech", Thoughts, "Telepathy"

Backstory:

Spoiler
    Show
    Kaeravak is less a true tiefling and more of an artificial construct, a prototype creation bioengineered by the artificers and wizards of Nuwessen in an effort to produce warriors that would be equal to the threat poised by the Far Realm. To this end, they sought to combine the properties of various beings into manageable, weaponized forms; in his specific case they attempted to marry the fire affinity of fiends with humanoid subjects of considerable mental fortitude and discipline that would remain cooperative post-transformation. Once a human soldier renowned for these traits, as well as his noted endurance and ability to withstand punishment, Kaeravak volunteered and was eagerly accepted for the experimental and dangerous process that transformed the eager trooper into the part-devil creature he is today.

Kaeravak abilities were carefully indexed and documented, featuring exceptional skill in pyromancy and pyrokinetic manipulation that proved consistent with initial hypotheses. In little time, much to the delight of his handlers, the ex-human proved able to effortlessly shape and control blazes into cutting flames and deadly ordinance, concussive and incendiary alike. With such demonstrated success it wasn't long before the magewrights felt their precious sample ready for a field test.

With the formation of the X-Com unit, Kaeravak's science team finally found the appropriate venue with which to test its new creation. Should their proof of concept succeed, Nuwessen's future would be assured, even in the face of this daunting new threat; or so its leaders imagined. Sending along shadowy observers to accompany and evaluate the false tiefling, he was volunteered unto the project to serve as tactical artillery and heavy ordinance.

I personally would rather you didn't introduce cyborgs on our side, but Surrealistik disagrees with me on the "Us magic vs. Them technology" angle anyway, so ignore that at your leisure.
    Hey, not at all! I like and support the concept, it's just that I don't see the natives being too phased by what the alien tech can do since they usually have a magic equivalent.

As for an abundance of Leaders, more encounter heals doesn't invariably mean easier or less threatening fights overall; this may be true for the first few encounters when we're swimming in healing surges, but if we don't somehow economize on their expenditure (could be a problem without Defenders, and Controllers lacking in hard control), we are definitely going to have problems later in the day/mission on account of exhausting them.

Further, if we're playing E10 rules where mob damage scaling is basically doubled except for non-minions, then I can't see those additional heals being too strong at all, as economizing becomes that much more difficult.

EDIT:
    Noticed that Irish's prospective backstory is similar to my own; perhaps he was another experimental prototype meant for use against the X-Ds authored by the same science team?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post

EDIT:
    Noticed that Irish's prospective backstory is similar to my own; perhaps he was another experimental prototype meant for use against the X-Ds authored by the same science team?
    I like this idea, most definitely.

And on your point of controlling, I went with the storm warden, so I will, hopefully, be doing lots of sliding and making the enemies come to me as much as I can!

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, not at all! I like and support the concept, it's just that I don't see the natives being too phased by what the alien tech can do since they usually have a magic equivalent.
    Certainly, but the results are not the difference between magic and technology - the method is. To set people on fire, wizards spend 20 years in some tower learning. With a flamethrower, you can be proficient in a month. Shooting arrows with a longbow has to be learnt at 7 y.o. and practised for the rest of your life. Any person with one eye and two hands can shoot a gun, etc. In military history, technology beat medieval weapons not because they were better (e.g. a welsh longbowman could shoot further than, and much, much faster than any crossbow or early gun) but because it took no time to train a peasant you just plucked from the fields. I still feel that to a medieval-stasis world like D&D, technology could be a shock in a similar way to aliens arriving to modern word would be to us: yes, we could understand the concept in theory, but the practical reality of it would leave us breathless.

As for an abundance of Leaders, more encounter heals doesn't invariably mean easier or less threatening fights overall; this may be true for the first few encounters when we're swimming in healing surges, but if we don't somehow economize on their expenditure (could be a problem without Defenders, and Controllers lacking in hard control), we are definitely going to have problems later in the day/mission on account of exhausting them.
    Agreed. X-COM missions are in many ways about the economy of resources in protracted battles: Should I use my grenade? Will I have time to reload? Missile now, or could I be in even more hot water later? If in a 5-person group we go through 9 surges in a combat, we will run dry very quickly - but in X-COM 4E, you can't just say "OK, now we'll camp for the extended rest". There is no resting until we go back to base.

Heh. I was about to suggest that if he does go with faun/satyr, he might have been one of the fey that followed Cinder when she pursued the orcs well beyond the feywild, and was one of the ones that almost didn't make it back.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-15 at 11:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Managed to find some free time to tackle this survey.

Amount of Out-of-Combat Roleplaying
    2 but I wouldn't be against having a living world to interact with.

Complexity of the Plot
    2 or 3 work well enough for me.

Linearity of the Plot
    3 though again I wouldn't be opposed to 2.

Scale of the Plot

I definitely would like the game to focus on the war but seeing the effects on the world is important in my opinion. So I'll go with 2.

Tone
    1. If it's even possible winning the war should come at great cost.

Lethality/Difficulty
    2. Classic Ironman is where I stand.

Permanency of Death
    2. Overcoming death shouldn't be impossible in most situations but it has to be a major hurdle to overcome.

Pacing
    3. I'm fine with a normal pace but am willing to compromise at a fast pace.

Update Frequency
    2. I normally don't post on weekends.

Tolerance of Homebrew
    3. As long as nothing too crazy is introduced it should be fine.

Enemy Variety
    2. One of my biggest gripes with the mid to late XCom game is the lack of new and interesting adversaries.

Why do you like X-Com?

The tactical combat, facing and eventually overcoming a superior enemies invading force, the aliens, research & interrogations, and a prolonged conflict that takes its toll. Also finding how far you're willing to go to win.
    Anything else?
    I'd like to see EXALT and the Cult of Sirius actively working to disrupt the work of XCOM. Also this is more for my character but he'd like to take part in autopsies and interrogations.

Akamenos
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Certainly, but the results are not the difference between magic and technology - the method is. To set people on fire, wizards spend 20 years in some tower learning. With a flamethrower, you can be proficient in a month. Shooting arrows with a longbow has to be learnt at 7 y.o. and practised for the rest of your life. Any person with one eye and two hands can shoot a gun, etc. In military history, technology beat medieval weapons not because they were better (e.g. a welsh longbowman could shoot further than, and much, much faster than any crossbow or early gun) but because it took no time to train a peasant you just plucked from the fields. I still feel that to a medieval-stasis world like D&D, technology could be a shock in a similar way to aliens arriving to modern word would be to us: yes, we could understand the concept in theory, but the practical reality of it would leave us breathless.
    I'm talking about magic/enchanted items, not the performance of actual wizardry/magic, which requires comparably little training to use in 4e.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I'm talking about magic/enchanted items, not the performance of actual wizardry/magic, which requires comparably little training to use in 4e.
    I know that 4E has streamlined a lot of the old edition learning requirements, but the feeling I got is that even magic swords require training in sword fighting to use - yes, their enchantments help you use it, but an untrained person (i.e. everyone not a hero, "level 0") they are as likely to injure themselves as they are to use them effectively. The 4E world relies on heroes (explicitly said to be a cut above the rest when it comes to "adventuring", even at level 1) to defend their world, while the X-Ds seems to have an endless supply of troops because they can recruit and train any of their number to use their technology.

But anyway, I get your point, and hopefully you get mine, but as always, it's up to the DM to decide what causes shock and awe about the X-Ds. "Opinions are like nostrils: everyone has a couple" and all that.

Grey Wolf

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

I see where you're coming from in that the sheer quantity of technology they're able to field vis a vis magic items which have similar functionality and training requirements, could be a basis for astonishment (assuming that the world isn't a 'Tippyverse' of sorts where they're mass produced). A wand that shoots lightning is likely to be fairly uncommon as contrasted to an X-D gun that's standard issue.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I see where you're coming from in that the sheer quantity of technology they're able to field vis a vis magic items which have similar functionality and training requirements, could be a basis for astonishment (assuming that the world isn't a 'Tippyverse' of sorts where they're mass produced). A wand that shoots lightning is likely to be fairly uncommon as contrasted to an X-D gun that's standard issue.
    Actually, given the narrative, it could be that this particular world our characters inhabit has no magical items at all. If we want our level progression to match the usual one, XCOM will have to start their own magitech industry with what we can recover from the blasted corpses of our enemies (and what ammunition we recover from our own scarred bodies ).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-15 at 12:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

I think, we should have magic, and that should be our main advantage against the aliens (some aliens could even have some magicals weakness)....

With time we could have a couple of technological advantages at our side, but it should come with great effort, but still would be a war of magic vs tech.

Somehow I fell we should play this game in other system hehe, like d20 modern/gurps/etc/etc

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so, it's been nearly a week since I put out the survey. We've gotten five replies, which is what we need for a full party. So, if Deadline does show up we'll insert him into the game, but he was online today so I don't know if he's just held up or if he's no longer interested. Either way, we're moving forward without him - he'll have a couple more days anyway since I won't start the reboot in earnest until the weekend, as I need a lot more time to set up battlemaps and get all that stuff sorted out. But we can at least get the new party together so they can form up to be the perfect X-D killing machine *cough or the perfect Cryssalid food cough*.

So, here's what the group average seems to be - individual people would be up or down along the continuum from these, but overall the group was fairly consistent in their opinions. Usually they would fall on one side of an exact number of another - I'll indicate that with a - for a lower number, or a + for a higher number.

Roleplaying
    Option 3- Tight-Knit Cast

Complexity of the Plot
    Option 3- A Web of Intrigue

Linearity of the Plot
    Option 3- Here Are Your Orders

Scale of the Plot
    Option 3- X-Com, The Action Movie

Tone
    Option 2- Nobledark

Lethality/Difficulty
    Option 2- Classic

Permanency of Death
    Option 2- Mostly Dead

Pacing
    Option 2+ Fast

Update Frequency
    Option 1+ Daily

Homebrew
    Option 3- Good Sense

Enemy Variety
    Option 3- Mostly X-COM (Most said they wanted only X-COM guys, but a few people were fine with whatever)

So in summation - we want to play a game that is focused on more of the squad's immediate level with a more immediate scale and tight-knit cast. The game will lead towards a heavily dark but not quite hopeless tone, with death being always just around the corner and usually but not always being permanent. The game will be a little faster than usual for leveling, and will hopefully be updated daily with perhaps only one update on the weekend instead of two. Homebrew is fine where and when it makes sense to support the X-COM theme, and the enemies are generally be X-COM staples baring where it would improve variety or support that this is a fantasy world that the aliens are invading. That all makes sense to me, and something that I can definitely accommodate.

I might need a little bit of time to figure out the appropriate leveling pace and homebrew bits to tack on to improve the X-COM flavor - for now we will go with the bog-standard 4E leveling rate and rules while I figure that all out. I will keep you updated on that, however - I already have a few ideas for X-COM-related homebrew, and I will ponder which of Surrealistik's own homebrew to adopt. For now, treat yourselves all to 200 XP for your involvement in bst1's game (for the sake of leveling your first character - if it survives that long - give yourself the 200 XP as well Irish Musician for discovering how much fun it is to be blown up and wake up as a metal construct).

I will post the link to the IC thread when I have it posted - I need to write up the scene-setting details. IC thread should be up tonight or possibly tomorrow depending.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    I need a lot more time to set up battlemaps and get all that stuff sorted out.
    Will you be using Surrealistik's spreadsheet, and google docs for maps? They worked wonderfully last time, and should make your life a lot easier.

Also, be aware that the characters already have a bit of home brew in them - two free feats for everyone (Versatile Expertise & Improved Defences) out of the bat. Not quite Surrealistik's free feat recommendation, but definetely not vanilla 4E either. Important since Irish just joined, and he should follow the same character building rules.

Finally, I should mention I lobbied for the "skyranger" to be a giant eagle (the other team got a winged serpent, IIRC) and for the hidden base to be an old dwarven marble mine by the name of "Hew Stone". Old DM refused to allow the dreadful pun ("Hew Stone, the eagle has landed"), but did give us the giant beasts to ride to battle. While I can accept that the base need not be named for my pun-convenience, I did like the giant animals for riders can we please keep them?

Grey Wolf, excited to get the show on the road again

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Link to the new IC thread here.

I made the appropriate adjustments to reflect that the two Skyrangers were wooden carrying frames mounted on the backs of a giant eagle and serpent. Alas, they won't be a concern anymore. Also, I didn't catch that mention of Hew Stone, so for now you'll need to settle for Mount Irongullet (which was an old dwarven iron mine, so is that close enough?)

It is my plan to use those google maps & docs if I could get a link, or instructions on how to set up my own copy at least. I'll probably create the maps in Maptools and upload them to Google docs, if that works?
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-15 at 10:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I didn't catch that mention of Hew Stone, so for now you'll need to settle for Mount Irongullet (which was an old dwarven iron mine, so is that close enough?)
    Close enough. This game is probably too serious for dated movie references anyway.

It is my plan to use those google maps & docs if I could get a link, or instructions on how to set up my own copy at least. I'll probably create the maps in Maptools and upload them to Google docs, if that works?
    That is indeed how it works. Link to an example map, link to an example sheet. Surrealistik can give you an original for that one.

The important thing is that we can move ourselves in the map (which helps a lot in 4E - describing Cinder move is an exercise in futility) and check how well our rolls worked out without needing to wait for you to post, which helps when declaring actions.

Grey Wolf

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I never received the promised PM, and only just found this thread. I'll try to get the survey filled out tomorrow.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I just checked the PMs that I sent out, and somehow you name was not included in either one of them. You have my most sincere and deepest apologies for that.

Please let me know if you have any questions. All you need to do is fill out the player survey and post your character sheet with 200 XP from participating in the old thread. New IC thread is here.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

I just checked the PMs that I sent out, and somehow you name was not included in either one of them. You have my most sincere and deepest apologies for that.
    Knew it.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

So, Inspectre, I had an idea about my dude's weapons. I had a thought of them just being a part of his body. As in his right hand turns into a sword and his shield is stores in the fore-arm of his left hand. So when he wants to use them, his right hand turns into a sword and his shield kind of unfolds out of his left arm. What do you think? I am trying to think of cool, "experimental" ways to make him a little different.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

If you give me a few minutes, I'll react to your arrival in an edit, Irish. I missed that you posted just before my last one.

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

If you give me a few minutes, I'll react to your arrival in an edit, Irish. I missed that you posted just before my last one.

Grey Wolf
    No prob. I figured as soon as you had posted right after me we were writing a post at the same time

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: X-Com X-D (OOC Thread)

Amount of Out-of-Combat Roleplaying
    2-3, the initial draw for this was a little light on the heavy RP stuff, so that's kind of where I'm set up. I'm pretty entrenched in some more involved games here, so I'm not looking for more of the same on that, just something light and fun. At the same time, I'm not looking to do endless cycles of "kick in the door, slay the monster, repeat".

Complexity of the Plot
    Pretty solid 3 on this one.

Linearity of the Plot
    3 here, with a slight lean towards 2.

Scale of the Plot
    Given your descriptions, I think 2 is the best fit here. Although 1 does sound fun.

Tone
    2 works pretty well.

Lethality/Difficulty
    2-3 here.

Permanency of Death
    I'm a fan of 2 here.

Pacing
    I think 3 would be good. Maybe 2.

Update Frequency
    2 is pretty much the speed I can maintain reliably.

Tolerance of Homebrew
    3. If it's not broken, I'm generally ok with it.

Enemy Variety
    Generally, 2 makes the most sense here. Although simply re-skinning a standard monster and describing it as an X-COM style alien would be totally fine. There's going to be plenty of combat, I'd like to see it stay relatively fresh. One way to do that is to vary up the opposition. Have the sectoids mindcontrolled a dragon? Totally legit.

Why do you like X-Com?
    I like all of it. The Base building, resource management, grand strategy, managing and developing minion dudes, research, and tactical combats. If I had to choose only 3, I'd say tactical combat, research, and base building.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Is it reasonable to assume that these skyrangers would have a first supply kit as part of their regular outfitting? Cinder can't help saving the patient, but she might be able to burglar a set of bandages and a magic potion or two.

If so, I'm thinking Ferrum can help find the appropriate pile of rubble with perception, and Cinder can use thievery to open/carefully disassemble the pile without breaking its contents.

Also, a hopefully unrelated question: how far does normal vision see in the dark, and how far does low-light vision see in the dark, on a night such as this (full moon, IIRC)?

Grey Wolf