The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: X-Com: The Fourth Dimension (OOC Thread)

Simple - you don't. But since the map obviously doesn't have vision controls I can't have blind spots like on Maptools, and I was worried that I would forget about the little **** if I left him off the map. If you would like, I can try to figure out a way to track invisible enemies on my side of the screen so you don't have to try and figure out what you can and can't see.

Also, I wanted to make sure you knew that all the aliens were accounted for as they did not make Stealth checks approaching the ruins. They were expecting to find some people like Waifera that they could happily execute by shooting them in the head. Instead they found a pissed off pixie and friends, and the *next* group of X-Ds will hopefully learn from their example: *always* approach an enemy position from Stealth.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Urgh, the Psuedodog dropping broke my set up for Elemental Escalation Ignition; will have to use it on the Grunts or Grunt and Legionnaire or forgo it; can't Bolt on account of having no LoE vs another target when I Free Action shift 3 to attack the Legionnaire.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    Simple - you don't.
    That makes a lot more sense. You might want to change the IC description, though, which is where my confusion started:

The Pseudowolf and sectoid grunts are all fully visible
    Also, no need to hide him from us. Unless he is using stealth, we do know where he is, by RAW. We can't target him directly, but all kinds of ranged area attacks could target him without LoS.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Urgh, the Psuedodog dropping broke my set up for Elemental Escalation Ignition; will have to use it on the Grunts or Grunt and Legionnaire or forgo it; can't Bolt on account of having no LoE vs another target when I Free Action shift 3 to attack the Legionnaire.
    I wasn't aware you could shift 3 as a free action, so I thought you would not be able to use EE in the surprise round. In fact, looking closer, EE seems to require a move action, which you don't have in the surprise round, so I'm rather confused now about your plans.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-19 at 05:52 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, sorry about that word confusion. I will use "fully illuminated" in the future, to determine what is standing in bright light and what is in shadow. Although . . . does Low Light even matter one bit to this party?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Would Khitan with his sight without low-light/darkvision be able to see them at this distance without penalty?
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-19 at 05:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I wasn't aware you could shift 3 as a free action, so I thought you would not be able to use EE in the surprise round. In fact, looking closer, EE seems to require a move action, which you don't have in the surprise round, so I'm rather confused now about your plans.
    EE triggers as a free action when I make a sorcerer at-will attack power.

My initial idea was to drop an escalated Ignition in the diagonal between Grunt 2 and the Psuedowolf, thereby hitting them and Grunt 1.

In any event, I think the best course of action would be to throw a standard bolt at the Legionnaire and hope Ferrum can finish him off.

Alternately, how tall is the blocking terrain Inspectre?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

In any event, I think the best course of action would be to throw a standard bolt at the Legionnaire and hope Ferrum can finish him off.
    He's going to be my next target, as soon as you post. He doesn't get a turn before Cinder goes again, and if we concentrate fire on him and don't miss too much, we should be able to take him down - hopefully without needing to use your first regular turn. Then you can EE the minions, and we can call it a day.

GW
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

He can see the pseudowolf (which is now dead), and would be able to see the two sectoid grunts if there wasn't a big piece of wreckage in the way. He can see the sectoid legionnaire as a moving shadow, which is enough to launch an attack but since he can't see in the dark, it has concealment against him (-2). From his current location, the sectoid also have partial cover against him (another -2, so -4 total). If Khitan has an area of effect attack, that ignores the concealment penalty so it's down to -2. If the area of effect is an area blast, like a grenade, then it may also ignore the cover if Khitan drops the center of it on a square where the wreckage is not between that square and the sectoid.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

The broken off section of the Skyranger that the sectoid grunts are cowering behind is (1d4-1)[2] squares high above the ground, or 10' is where it ends.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-19 at 06:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

He can see the pseudowolf (which is now dead), and would be able to see the two sectoid grunts if there wasn't a big piece of wreckage in the way. He can see the sectoid legionnaire as a moving shadow, which is enough to launch an attack but since he can't see in the dark, it has concealment against him (-2). From his current location, the sectoid also have partial cover against him (another -2, so -4 total). If Khitan has an area of effect attack, that ignores the concealment penalty so it's down to -2. If the area of effect is an area blast, like a grenade, then it may also ignore the cover if Khitan drops the center of it on a square where the wreckage is not between that square and the sectoid.
    Thanks for the explanation, I think I will move Khitan before attacking, to get better sight, maybe near to Kaer or close to that piece of wreckage that is current blocking Khitan's sight.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

How soon I forget that the forums can't handle multiple dice denominations in the same roll. :p

Here goes:

(1d12+9)[4](13) + (1d6)[2](2)

Eh, mediocre damage, but a hit is a hit.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

How soon I forget that the forums can't handle multiple dice denominations in the same roll. :p
    Weren't you prone? You needed to be to be able to stealth. Another -2 won't much affect the hit (I hope), and the +7 to your defences can come handy.

GW

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually Kaeravak is currently behind partial cover, which is enough for him to maintain Stealth. As the X-Ds approached, they could not see him to start with, so he had effectively total cover, allowing him to enter stealth. He could then maintain it by remaining behind the pile of debris. Now that he has attacked, however, he will need to drop Prone, thus giving him Total Cover again, in order to attempt another Stealth check and re-hide.

That being said, I do seem to remember something about Kaeravak being prone behind the barricade . . . oh well, he hits one way or the other.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

So, are corpses considered difficult terrain?

GW

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's go with my old stand-by house rule unless there's something somewhere in the rules compendium - one body (as these are on the map) = no, two or more bodies in the same square = yes.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Going to play it safe and not expend the Escalation in case we don't get a short rest between now and the next encounter; we're probably going to want to collect Waifera and run ASAP to the Archangel due to the approaching aliens.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Going to play it safe and not expend the Escalation in case we don't get a short rest between now and the next encounter; we're probably going to want to collect Waifera and run ASAP to the Archangel due to the approaching aliens.
    Sounds like a plan. Azktor, Khitan's next. Here's hoping you'll take the last critter down. I believe you should be able to be within range if you move to the place where Kaeravak used to be.

Grey Wolf

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Posted! I think with a 22 it is a hit, even with a -4 penalty! So it should be dead...
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-20 at 03:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to guess that effectively ends combat, even with penalties, yes?
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:
    The Godkiller - OOC - Map

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azktor View Post
    Posted! I think with a 22 it is a hit, even with a -4 penalty! So it should be dead...
    Err... target is outside your range (12 squares - Hand of radiance is 10). I thought you were able to move 6, and reach Kaeravak's cover.

Remember: the red-border cover is not difficult terrain, so it doesn't slow you down.

Good news is that if you are in range, it has neither cover nor concealment (brightly lit), so no penalties at all.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-20 at 03:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Err... target is outside your range (12 squares - Hand of radiance is 10). I thought you were able to move 6, and reach Kaeravak's cover.

Remember: the red-border cover is not difficult terrain, so it doesn't slow you down.

Good news is that if you are in range, it has neither cover nor concealment (brightly lit), so no penalties at all.

GW
    Oh! good to know...will just change my move so i can get range then... never stoped to count the range, dumb of me :x

edit: there i should have range, right?
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-20 at 03:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azktor View Post
    Oh! good to know...will just change my move so i can get range then... never stoped to count the range, dumb of me :x

edit: there i should have range, right?
    Looks good to me!

GW

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that's game for that encounter. Is Hircine still with us? We kinda blew through that over the weekend, when I know he said he wasn't available. In any event, the squad now has a choice before it, and some new concerns - check the IC thread for details.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well that's game for that encounter. Is Hircine still with us? We kinda blew through that over the weekend, when I know he said he wasn't available. In any event, the squad now has a choice before it, and some new concerns - check the IC thread for details.
    I'm here and just managed to get a post up concerning what Akamneos has been up to.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2014-01-20 at 10:58 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, everyone's posted already - that was fast!

Since it seems that the consensus is to move on towards the Archangel, I will put together a battle map tonight for the next encounter. You are welcome to make another round or two of heal checks on Waifera to get her to spend a second healing surge, which will bring her up to "full". I suspect until anyone tells her to act, she will continue making Bluff checks to "play dead" on Ferrum's back in combat.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

All right, first thing I assumed we have our entire equipaments, but if that is not true I can edit my post, about the rope!

Second, I do have the use of Hand of Fate Ritual for free once a day, if it helps...I think not now, due to the 10 minutes to perform.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hand of Fate
    A ghostly apparition appears to give you basic guidance
    about a course of action.
    Level: 4
    Category: Divination
    Time: 10 minutes
    Duration: 10 minutes
    Component Cost: 70 gp
    Market Price: 175 gp
    Key Skill: Religion (no check)
    When you perform the ritual, ask up to three questions about possible courses of action. A translucent blue hand appears and indicates with a gesture what the most rewarding course of action is.
    If you describe courses of action that refer to directions or specific objects, then the hand points toward the choice that bears the greatest reward. If you ask the hand, “Should we head down the stairs or through the doors?” then the hand responds by pointing either to the stairs or the doors.
    If you ask the hand, “Which of these three levers should we pull first?” then the hand responds by pointing to a lever.
    If you describe only a single course of action, the ritual assumes that inaction is your other option. The hand either beckons you (to indicate that you should proceed) or gestures for you to halt. For example, the question “Should we explore the ruins of Solitronia?” results in the hand either beckoning you or gesturing for you to halt.
    The hand can’t assess events in the far future; its judgment extends only to likely events in the next hour. If the hand can’t indicate a preference, the ritual has no effect and expends no components.
    There are two drawbacks to using the ritual to aid your decisions. First, fate values rewards over risk, and this ritual provides guidance accordingly. It points you toward a high risk, high reward option before pointing you toward a low risk, low reward alternative. For example, if one tunnel leads to a dragon and great wealth and the other tunnel leads back to town, then the hand points toward the dragon. However, a high risk, low reward alternative is considered less rewarding than a low risk, low reward option.
    Second, the hand can choose only the most rewarding course of action relative to the alternatives provided.
    That doesn’t mean that the indicated choice is necessarily a good idea, only that it’s a better idea than the other options you’ve indicated. In the example above, if all three levers activate traps, then the hand points toward the lever that triggers a trap less lethal than the others.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-21 at 06:46 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Third, I want to know if a History check would help me to know a better path to follow until the H.H.A. Archangel? Maybe a secret underground tunnel that was write in a "X-COM Guide" that Khitan WOULD have read about or any aditional usefull information about the surroundings... in that case, History Check: (1d20+11)[28] ((I forgot to paste on the last post, so sorry for the double post :x))

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

The rest of the team might want to give Cinder a 1-turn head start. Ferrum is going to have to run, which means the chances of going unnoticed are nil. With Cinder a dozen squares ahead, if she sees something she'll have time to double back and stop you before you hit the enemy.

On the other hand, nothing the X-Ds can do is anywhere near as bad as what the UFO can do, so we might want to go all at the same time and risk running into the midst of an enemy patrol as the lesser of two evils of spending an extra turn out of cover.

Speaking of which, who in the team can hold their own in melee? Cinder can, although her OAs will be terrible until she can grab the feat. Ferrum I assume is mostly melee - anyone else?

Grey Wolf

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty well useless in melee until I get that dagger based Sorcerer MBA at-will (or a close attack power), though I have ways of getting out of it.

As for Cinder scouting ahead, sounds good to me; I'm ready for the next team deathmatch.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Khitan is not squeaky with 28hp and 17 AC 13 FOR 16 Reflex 16 Will.....and he does have some close blast/burst he could use in meele

Visions of Blood: Close Blast 3 and decrease defenses -1
    Astral Terror: Close Burst 3 push all target 2 squares
    Silent Maledtion: Close Blast 3 and Stun/Dazes the target

Edit: But, he still works better as as minion remover with Hand of Radiance.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-21 at 12:23 PM.