The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,489 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: X-Com: The Fourth Dimension (OOC Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Musician View Post
    Sigh, yet another miss
    Wait, what? You totally hit with Inevitable Strike, which was enough to kill the Centurion!

Also awesome, now I can move without fear of OAs, and Akamenos can buff everyone after Dagrun moves into position and marks up SG1 with Astral Seal (who will still have the Magic Weapon buff due to the order of actions).

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Wait, what? You totally hit with Inevitable Strike, which was enough to kill the Centurion!
    I didn't think IS worked like that. I thought it was just an extra attack, and if its extra attack hit, then you got a little more damage from it. I didn't think it counted as an completely extra attack for the original power.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:
    The Godkiller - OOC - Map

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ettin in the Playground

Inevitable Strike allows you to make an additional attack roll for the triggering attack; both of them count towards determining whether or not you've hit.

If it didn't, it would be probably one of the worst theme powers in the game.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

Inevitable Strike allows you to make an additional attack rolls for the triggering attack; both of them count towards determining whether or not you've hit.

Well.........misread THAT power completely lol

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ogre in the Playground

Inevitable Strike allows you to make an additional attack rolls for the triggering attack; both of them count towards determining whether or not you've hit.

I dunno about that - a no action free attack would be pretty sweet (*if* it got all of the bonuses to weapon damage that you can stack up onto it.)
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ettin in the Playground

No, it's extra damage, so you can't add static mods; basically, it if didn't improve your chance to hit with an additional attack roll, it'd boil down to somewhere in the vicinity of a ~40% chance to do 4.5 extra damage on average. In otherwords, it would be absolutely horribad.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ettin in the Playground

Since Hircine is ambiguously back I'm not sure if I should take his turn for him; if not, and you're forcing actions now, I'd like to potentially be the recipient of Magic Weapon before I take any actions.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

Whoa whoa, wait. Did I have a +1 to attacks?

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ettin in the Playground

No, because you acted before Akamenos could refresh Magic Weapon, and in the previous round you acted after he used it.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

Surrealistik is correct - and yes, if it is just extra damage that's not an actual "attack roll" then yes, agreed it's pretty meh.
    An actual no action attack would be OP as **** though.

And in the hopes of reducing confusion - and to hurry up and get this fight over with - I will take Akamenos's action now. What target do you want Akamenos to blast?

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ettin in the Playground

Southern one such that I get the Magic Weapon bonus and he only is subject to cover; position should be indicated.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

Or Hircine can post for us! HUZZAH!
    Southern one is weakened enough that a 6 damage hit will kill it (still has 1 temp HP and Resist 5 All).

Khitan would have missed even with the +1 to-hit due to cover (or being prone if he had moved to negate the cover), and Ferrum already killed the Centurion - so that just leaves Dagrun & Kaeravak!

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've already got Akamenos' turn covered.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll take my turn soon; currently playing in my RL DnD game.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    Or Hircine can post for us! HUZZAH!
    Southern one is weakened enough that a 6 damage hit will kill it (still has 1 temp HP and Resist 5 All).
    I think 7 is the minimum necessary to kill; 6 would be just enough to break the shield.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

Good point. Also - I'm pretty sure that the point Kaeravak targeted had cover relative to him, since two of those lines go through the wall . . .
    I think I'm going to take Dagrun's turn now and see if we can end this fight quickly, given that two minions is not terribly exciting.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-06-12 at 05:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

Damnit.
    I tried to end this fight quickly for us all and I roll a nat 1.
    Surrealistik, if you had a better tactic for Kaeravak to adopt or some way to reroll/inflict auto-damage to that last X-D, you're welcome to make use of it.
    Everyone else can take a turn now as well - I may well just fast-forward through this turn as well just to get this fight over with.
    But I wanted to see if anyone had a way to kill that last bolstering X-D through the wall before I have it shoot at someone again.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    Good point. Also - I'm pretty sure that the point Kaeravak targeted had cover relative to him, since two of those lines go through the wall . . .
    You mean the point he targeted with Ignition earlier to kill the two grunts?

It has cover relative to him, but that doesn't matter for an area burst; what matters is if he has line of effect to the burst's intended origin square, and if the actual targets have cover relative to that origin square.

As for the aliens, nothing I can do about a natural 1.

I'm thinking:

1. As many of our party members mount Tygrin as possible (how many people can do this anyways?) and ready their actions to attack when they have a clear line of fire on SG1.
    2. Cinder then uses her Fairy Dust on Tygrin to have him fly 6 squares, then he flies more squares to a space he can spike the linker from without being subject to cover.
    3. All the party members that have mounted Tygrin can then use their readied actions to Astral Seal then have Tygrin hose down SG1 in spikes (note that while Tygrin is mounted, Tygrin doesn't get his own turn; he and his mounters share actions on their turns).

I believe Inspectre would be within his rights to rule that Tygrin can only be made to take up to one move/minor/immediate/standard action per round though, no matter how many people are mounting him. In any case, one attack from Tygrin via Ferrum, and ranged attacks from everyone else should suffice.

In the future, me, Akamenos and Khitan could mount Tygrin and use him as a flying mobile heavy weapons platform; the advantage of not mounting him though is that we effectively get an extra initiative count.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that by the book Manticore Strikers only have Str 20, I'm not sure he can actually carry anyone by the book.
    But then, going by the book, horses are the most worthless mounts ever and only anemic halflings can ride them without weight issues.
    Given that Tygrin does not have a saddle, mounting him will mean riding bareback.
    Which is doable but will limit it to only two people and if they get hit in combat they will need to roll a saving throw or fall off.

There are some other considerations for the future.

• As mentioned by Surrealistik, when serving as a mount Tygrin's actions are completely subsumed into either one person's actions, or into the nether.
    • Tygrin is only Speed 6 on the ground, Speed 8 while Flying, so it's not a huge move speed boost.
    • Most of Mount Irongullet is relatively narrow tunnels. While he can fit through the southern tunnel without issue, he will need to be moving along the ground rather than flying.
    • People mounted on Tygrin will be able to remain mounted through that specific tunnel, but others might have an even lower ceiling (I believe that Tygrin also consumes two squares vertically, so remember that people mounted on him would need a total 15' of vertical clearance)
    • While mounted Tygrin will not be able to squeeze through narrow spaces - not an issue this fight but it may become one if you decide to go on a rampage through the tunnels
    • As you will learn after the fight, Tygrin is technically not allowed anywhere but the Stables/Flight Bay. So he will be hesitant to accompany you guys further - which is fixable with your social skill of choice.
    • Tygrin's participation in fights will drain a not-insignificant amount of XP - 250 for this fight since he's Bloodied, but upwards of 500 if he's at full health
    • Tygrin only has 1 healing surge. This can be worked around thanks to Akamenos, but there is still a sharp limit to how much abuse he can take, even if it's a lot more than all of you.
    • As an NPC with his own hopes and dreams, Tygrin will not appreciate being used as a living shield/weapons platform for the group - to excess. He's obviously fine killing some more X-Ds with y'all. Just don't treat him only as a rocket launcher that you point at bad things to kill them.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-06-12 at 07:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, we need to shift our chatting over to the new Part 2 X-Com OOC thread since this one is approaching the dreaded 1,500 total posts.

Here is a link to OOC, Part Deux!