The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: X-Com: The Fourth Dimension (OOC Thread)

Dagrun can hold his own in melee ok. I don't recall if Ranged 5 powers allow for AoO at the moment, but if they don't, then he's just as comfortable in melee as he is moderate range.

@Inspectre - Dagrun has Low-Light vision, and a move speed of 5 squares as a dwarf.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Dagrun can hold his own in melee ok. I don't recall if Ranged 5 powers allow for AoO at the moment, but if they don't, then he's just as comfortable in melee as he is moderate range.
    I think only close Burst, close blast, and meele does not provoke OA (unless you have feats like Staff Expertise..)
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-21 at 12:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

I don't recall if Ranged 5 powers allow for AoO at the moment
    They do. All ranged (anything) cause OAs. That is why healing powers that target one person at range are nevertheless bursts.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's just say that Akamenos isn't built for handling opponents up close.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hircine View Post
    Let's just say that Akamenos isn't built for handling opponents up close.
    No, but if Cinder ends up flanking with him, at least she won't be a target in his attack - all of Akamenos' powers work with melee weapons, from what I could see. Now, I don't think Akamenos has a melee weapon, but that can be easily remedied. What is he proficient with?

GW
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, but if Cinder ends up flanking with him, at least she won't be a target in his attack - all of Akamenos' powers work with melee weapons, from what I could see. Now, I don't think Akamenos has a melee weapon, but that can be easily remedied. What is he proficient with?

GW
    Simple melee and simple ranged weapons only.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hircine View Post
    Simple melee and simple ranged weapons only.
    We'll get you something for melee then. The base weapon isn't that important - you just want to have something to fall back upon if escaping melee is not in the cards (Maxim 47: Don't expect the enemy to cooperate in the creation of your dream engagement).

For now, Inspectre: is there some random piece of military equipment (even a simple dagger) that he can borrow? Team: anyone carrying spares?

----

Irish: yep, speed 6 at dead run. Are you giving Cinder a head start, though, or moving in parallel?

Grey Wolf

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Irish: yep, speed 6 at dead run. Are you giving Cinder a head start, though, or moving in parallel?

Grey Wolf
    Yeah, head start. Figured she could do a little scouting and keep an eye out for us.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:
    The Godkiller - OOC - Map

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Just had a thought: since you guys have an extra round at the battlefield while giving Cinder a head start, can some of you see if you can locate and grab the ship's medicine kit? Ferrum is busy tying Waifera to his back, and I believe someone was going to give her some healing, but if you are free, it was a DC13 Perception* to find and DC10 Thievery check to open. It might come in handy.

Grey Wolf

*Technically, DC15 with +2 circumstance bonus.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

I'd kind of like to grant Waifera a second healing surge before we move out. It sounds like we've got a couple of rounds, so I'll post up that roll, and a quick Perception check as well.

Signature of Holding

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Does her Song of Rest only apply to allies? If not, she regains +4 bonus HP each time she spends a surge.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Does her Song of Rest only apply to allies? If not, she regains +4 bonus HP each time she spends a surge.
    Only during short breaks, which we are carefully avoiding to save time.

(Mind you, with enemy incoming in 30 seconds, we would not have been able to have a short rest regardless. Also, those are some close-knit patrols. Fair enough that one of their groups suddenly disappeared in a flash of fire, but man, that's some quick response)

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-21 at 06:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Short rests only? Sucks.

And tbh, noisy as we were, I'm not too surprised about the patrols at all, haha.

Also, just to confirm, the only houserules we're using are free Versatile Expertise and Improved Defenses correct, or are we using my own house rules (E10, Essentials or otherwise)?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Question, does the Versatile Expertise feat let me use my Warhammer as a Holy Symbol? If not, Dagrun will almost always have his Holy Symbol out instead.

Signature of Holding

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Question, does the Versatile Expertise feat let me use my Warhammer as a Holy Symbol? If not, Dagrun will almost always have his Holy Symbol out instead.
    No, but it's irrelevant, since holy symbols are slotless and thus (unless you have more than one) are "always on".

The house rule of the original DM was that we had as many of Versatile Expertise as we wanted, so you would have one for the hammer, and one for the holy symbol.

By Surrealistik's Home Rules, instead, I would get the crossbow Expertise that allows me to ignore cover, but (since you only get one) would loose the expertise on the rapier; all in all, I prefer the "as many expertise as you need" version.

Grey Wolf

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

You could just take Versatile Expertise (Crossbow/Light Blade) since you can pick a weapon group and implement type.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    You could just take Versatile Expertise (Crossbow/Light Blade) since you can pick a weapon group and implement type.
    That looks horribly munchkin-y. I assume the crossbow is the implement type? And wouldn't, in any case, that only work with crossbows-as-implements?

In any case, it's not a major concern. If we do switch to your HR, I'll pang for the loss of the +1 to light blade attacks, but I'm sure I'll find use for the "ignores cover" part of the crossbow expertise (in fact, in the last combat I would've come out ahead).

Grey Wolf

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in favor of allowing another expertises - for free -, besides the versatile. I would love to get Staff Expertise (Mostly due the not provoking OA)...
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-21 at 07:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

I can see the interpretation that you _have_ to use it as an implement. On the flipside, by what I feel to be a stricter reading, it's just enough for the thing you're using to be an implement of the chosen type without having to actually use it as one in order to get the attack bonus.

But yeah, definitely prefer having the ability to pick an expertise/defense feat of your choice.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, finally, let's get some rulings here. Going to try to go top to bottom here.

Azktor - You have managed to salvage all of your equipment, yes.

Yes, you would need 10 minutes to cast the Hand of Fate Ritual, unfortunately. Eventually you could probably cast it in 5 rounds or so using Surrealistik's house rules for rituals and expedited casting, but I believe that won't be possible for a few more levels yet.

Okay, and with that awesome History roll, you get a brief history of Mount Irongullet! Some of the information might prove useful, some of it maybe not. Spoilered for length.
    Spoiler
    Show

Mount Irongullet was a promising mining venture from about a century ago. At least, it started out that way. Various misfortunes started to befall the venture shortly after stone was first pulled out of the mountain. It was just the usual dangers of mining at first - the occasional accident, nuisances like feral kobolds and giant spiders moving in - but worse things started to happen. Several of the mine's owners met ill-timed ends in rapid succession, leading to claims that the mine itself was cursed. And yet, the mine continued operating, the rich veins of iron and even a little gold motivating the dwarves to continue digging.

Decades passed, and a sprawling tunnel complex was created inside of the mountain. Tunnels led both deeper into the mountain and out along the surface away from it. Primarily these side tunnels were used for dragging out scrap rock and to help transfer fresh air into the mountain from breathing shafts.

Eventually, however, the dwarves' mixed luck finally ran out completely. A brief war was fought for control over the mountain between Hausenberg and the Kingdom of Forectu. At the same time, the dwarves finally dug too deeply, as they always do. They broke into a chamber at the root of the mountain far below ground, and awoke Tyranzaxx the Pyroclast, an immense and terrible red dragon. Tyranzaxx laid waste to the mines, and then broke out of the mountain and went on a rampage through the mountains separating Forectu and Hausenberg before a squad of adventurers from Forectu finally brought him down with the aid of a squadron of griffon riders from Hausenberg. That signaled the end of the war between the two powers, and they declared Mount Irongullet as neutral ground off-limits to both sides, lest some other terror be dug out from its slumber within the mountain.

Mount Irongullet remained uninhabited for nearly two decades, until the X-COM Initiative chose it as its base of operations. Since then the mines have been selectively rebuilt and restructured, turning it into a formidable mountain fortress. Seeing little reason for having multiple routes into the base, many of the side tunnels snaking out from the mountain were collapsed or otherwise blocked, along with the access shafts carved for air flow. Still, they couldn't collapse them all for a variety of reasons, and it's quite possible that there is still an operational shaft somewhere in the airship graveyard. (There is now - but you'll have to search most of the graveyard probably to find it.)

Secret Roll - Just Cause
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d6)[5]

I will set up the next encounter under the assumption that Cinder is 1 round of movement ahead of the group. For the purposes of keeping the thread moving I would prefer to just start the encounter rather than have Cinder go on ahead, see what's there, and then come back and report so you guys can spend more time debating what to do before eventually going in to fight them anyway. If you really want to avoid a fight due to Cinder scouting ahead though, we can talk about it.

Please note that while Cinder has special rogue stuff that lets her move at full speed while using Stealth, I believe that everyone else takes a -5 penalty to Stealth unless they are moving at no more than 2 squares a round - barring special feats and abilities of course. Anyone using the Run action (such as Ferrum to keep his move at 6 squares) will be at a -10 penalty to Stealth and will take a -5 penalty to attacks and grant combat Advantage until their first turn begins (as normal for the Run action).

In regards to getting Akamenos a melee weapon - you guys are surrounded by broken pieces of wood. You can have infinity plus one clubs (but only if you don't attempt to destroy the world economy with them or something). If you want something better, make some perception checks and you might find a body that still has a sidearm of some sort - we'll make it DC 20 though since bodies don't grow on airships - unlike clubs.

You folks are welcome to make perception checks to find that medicine chest before you leave, as well as another set of Heal checks on Waifera. I would prefer that you do it in your next post though, so that we can focus on the upcoming combat and limit the back-and-forth as much as possible.

Song of Rest does indeed only apply during a short rest, and she needs to sing or play in order for that to take effect - not a major detail, but it is sound that could potentially give your location away.

Note that while I call them patrols, that's just to denote that they're just small groups of X-Ds, rather than squads or platoons of the buggers. But there are probably a few dozen X-Ds swarming amongst the crashed airships looking for survivors - and if they're willing to expend that many troops on what is essentially a clean-up operation, that should tell you just how much they want X-COM DEAD. Second, their rapid response time is due to the fact that you spent the first couple minutes after the crash waking up from concussion-land and digging yourselves out. Rather than going in all as one big group, they're spread out, coming in towards the airship piecemeal. Third, those two nearest airships are fairly close, and they have groups of X-Ds combing over them. If there was explosions and fighting from one of those two airships, you could hustle over there fairly quickly yourselves if you had nothing better to do (i.e. everyone at your current location has already been dragged out of the rubble and shot in the head, then shot again for good measure).

Tell you what, I'm going to be a nice guy. You may choose one of two options - Option One - you can take one single Expertise feat for free, provided that it is focused on one specific weapon/implement group - no crazy Expertise feats that grant you different bonuses for two or three different groups, and no silliness that lets you take a weapon like a crossbow and count it as an implement and a weapon. Option two - You can take as many Versatile Expertise feats as you want, essentially granting you +1 to-hit with everything.

Likewise, you may take Improved Defenses (+1 to all NADs), or one other feat that grants you a bonus to Fort/Reflex/Will defenses.

We will *NOT* be using Surrealistik's E10 rules at this time - but I reserve the right to implement them at a later date. For his "essential" house rules, we will use #1 (Rituals), #3, #4, #6 - we will not use #2 since that's kinda already covered by the above Expertise stuff, nor #5 as I do not believe that we will be using a standard "buy/find magic items" for the most part, thus not needing to worry about the OP-ness of Boons. I will consider implementing #5 if it turns out that we will be handling magic items as usual, however.

Likewise, Surrealistik's "less essential rules" #2, #3 (expect even weirder stuff from me), #5, & #6 (what happened to rule #4?). We will not be using #1 as like the "magic-items/boons" comment above, we will not be doing standard magic-items. I will be making a "inherent bonus" alternative feature, however, that will be available for the party to pick up once certain requirements are met. Again, if we go back to a more standard magic-item structure, I will probably implement this house rule at that time.

Versatile Expertise does not let you swap one for the other I don't *think*, although it does give you +1 to-hit with each. Honestly, since I know there are various options for using weapons as implements nowadays, I would be fine with just handwaving it and saying that your holy symbol can be built into your weapon since it is "slotless". Would that cause problems for anyone?

Did I miss anything? Okay . . . on to murdering all of you.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    I will set up the next encounter under the assumption that Cinder is 1 round of movement ahead of the group. For the purposes of keeping the thread moving I would prefer to just start the encounter rather than have Cinder go on ahead, see what's there, and then come back and report so you guys can spend more time debating what to do before eventually going in to fight them anyway. If you really want to avoid a fight due to Cinder scouting ahead though, we can talk about it.
    If anyone wanted to avoid a fight, they should've stopped Cinder from being the scout. When she said she would warn them of enemies by causing them to scream away their position, she meant it.

In regards to getting Akamenos a melee weapon - you guys are surrounded by broken pieces of wood. You can have infinity plus one clubs (but only if you don't attempt to destroy the world economy with them or something).
    Ooooh, I'm so tempted right now to ask for one of those infinite (+1 clubs) you mention.

Note that while I call them patrols, that's just to denote that they're just small groups of X-Ds, rather than squads or platoons of the buggers. But there are probably a few dozen X-Ds swarming amongst the crashed airships looking for survivors - and if they're willing to expend that many troops on what is essentially a clean-up operation, that should tell you just how much they want X-COM DEAD.
    FWIW, I was being facetious. It makes sense that in a clean up operation , there is a lot of troops dispersed, but not so far from each other they can't rush to help when one of the almost-deads turns out to be alive-enough to cause trouble (such as, well, us).

Tell you what, I'm going to be a nice guy. You may choose one of two options - Option One - you can take one single Expertise feat for free, provided that it is focused on one specific weapon/implement group - no crazy Expertise feats that grant you different bonuses for two or three different groups, and no silliness that lets you take a weapon like a crossbow and count it as an implement and a weapon. Option two - You can take as many Versatile Expertise feats as you want, essentially granting you +1 to-hit with everything.
    Is it unreasonable to grab the versatile now, and at level 4 retrain it for the light blade expertise? (I'll probably take the crossbow expertise at that point, so I would have both, having paid for one of them).

Did I miss anything? Okay . . . on to murdering all of you.
    Been waiting all day to hear that

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-21 at 10:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope, it's not unreasonable. You may take additional expertise feats if you want them, but since the tax is already being paid for you, I'm not sure why you would unless you wanted to cover more than one weapon group. Note if there's some cheesy combo that you can get by stacking expertise feats, but normally can't because you can only have one expertise feat or something, I will slap you and tell you "no".

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, it's not unreasonable. You may take additional expertise feats if you want them, but since the tax is already being paid for you, I'm not sure why you would unless you wanted to cover more than one weapon group. Note if there's some cheesy combo that you can get by stacking expertise feats, but normally can't because you can only have one expertise feat or something, I will slap you and tell you "no".
    Nah, it's for the extra stuff. Ignoring cover is nice, and getting +tier damage with CA is tailor-made for rogues. I'm not planning on carrying any other weapons, so I am fine with losing +1 tier to hit with every other weapon group. No strange combos will happen (I'm not much of a min-maxer).

Thanks!

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-21 at 11:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Currently on my phone, but didn't want to miss the chance to make a 2nd heal check for Waifera and a perception check for the medical supplies:

Heal check (DC 15): (1d20+9)[15]

Perception check (DC 13): (1d20+4)[10]

Signature of Holding

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

(what happened to rule #4?)
    Haha, good eye; typo fixed.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Combat is ready - it's pretty damn choppy though. Don't have time to set up the combat tracker at the moment - apologies. In any event, since Cinder can only see the legionnaire (aw, he's trying to hide - so cute!), and the one sectoid by the bodies out in front of the airship (the other three are invisible), you should be able to check whether she hits on her surprise round if she chooses to attack. Please also set an initial starting position for your PC on the battle map. Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

And we're off. Kaeravak & Khitan are up, and the Thin Men are disappointed that Cinder is invisible and 50' away. They were so looking forward to ambushing the ambusher. The UFO, however, is thrilled that it gets to make another round of Detection checks to find her at the end of this round.

For those interested in speeding the combat up a little bit due to the choppy init blocks, and who know what they're going to be doing anyway (i.e. running for the airship while crying "oh god, oh god, please don't detect us mighty UFO"), I would be willing to let you post a set of reserve actions - i.e., post your actions now so that they can be resolved when your turn comes up later. Note that if you do post, I will take those actions when your turn comes up (unless you make a post before I get back), regardless of whether they're suboptimal in the ever-changing conditions of combat. You're certainly welcome to edit and change your actions up until the point that I get to you in the initiative order. Note that I will only be posting in the early mornings and evenings though relative to EST, so it may take me awhile to update the board/run through whatever X-Ds are up next. You are certainly welcome to wait until your turn in the initiative order actually comes up, of course - this is strictly an optional policy.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-22 at 06:40 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, so much to catch up on!! On the Expertise thing....since I am not really going to be having an implement or anything, as far as I know, I think I am going to switch our my Versatile for Heavy Blade Expertise. Along with the +1 to attacks, it also gives me a +2 to def against Opportunity attacks which I think will be quite useful for me in the future.

On another note, I like the plan of just going straight into combat, since we all know that is where we are going to be headed anyway

ONWARD TO KILLING THINGS!!!!
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:
    The Godkiller - OOC - Map

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Added new rules to the Less Essential houserules:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=61

Also don't like the look of those readied actions; I think I'll let Khitan go first, haha.

Seriously though, if he can bloody that Legionnaire, I've got a better chance of hitting and finishing it. Enemies are currently too far away and too spread out to escalate the elements on.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh ****, Silacoids? Lol. Guess someone else is gonna have to tackle those what with their being fire immune and all.