The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: X-Com: The Fourth Dimension (OOC Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Oh ****, Silacoids? Lol. Guess someone else is gonna have to tackle those what with their being fire immune and all.
    I knew there was a reason you were putting up with Cinder.

Re: Thin Men readied actions:
    Readied actions are dangerous, but lack flexibility: if we never get in range, or stay out of LoS, we have a chance to make the thin men lose their turn. It would be easier if we knew where the second one is hiding (I would've tried, but a perception check is a minor action, and I wasn't about to not attack only for that).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-22 at 11:52 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Cinder will definitely be helpful here, no question.

As for the readied actions, yes, we could make them lose their turn, but there's little point if it comes at the cost of ours. If they manage to stall us, it's still probably a win for them because time is on their side.

In terms of avoiding triggers, not bunching up and remaining out of their line of sight are probably good ideas.

We have a couple of Wisdom specced people that can attempt Perception checks; just keep in mind that you take a -2 penalty to your checks if the target is more than 10 squares away as they surely are.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Question, what is the green box on the map? (Pink/purple is our starting zone, blue is a safe zone, right?).
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

That's where Cinder starts.

There are no safe zones (Cyan is the alien starting area, Dark Blue is areas of low rubble that's Difficult Terrain).

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

There are no safe zones
    I believe Cyan is a safe-from-shiny-death-from-above area

GW
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Just to confirm, is this simply an airship wreck we encountered on the way to the Archangel?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Just to confirm, is this simply an airship wreck we encountered on the way to the Archangel?
    It's the wreck of the blimp that was carrying Ferrum, IIRC. But yes, this is not the HSS Archangel.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-22 at 12:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for being such a nub, but...is Khitan able to hit him (with Hand of Radiance) from where he is standing now? and if yes, what penalty he would have?

That pile of debry gives the Leginnaire full cover...and Khitan only have normal sight, so it is a bit confusing to me (And 'm at my work, can't do a better research about rules right now )

Spoiler: Hand of Radiance
    Show
    At-Will ✦ Divine, Implement , Radiant
    Standard Action Ranged 10
    Target: One, two , or three creatures
    Level 27: Target an additional creature.
    Attack : Wisdom vs. Reflex
    Hit: 1d4 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-22 at 01:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Oh ****, Silacoids? Lol. Guess someone else is gonna have to tackle those what with their being fire immune and all.
    Tackle you say? Cuz....I can do that
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I would've tried, but a perception check is a minor action, and I wasn't about to not attack only for that).

Grey Wolf
    I can use a minor on looking for the other Slim, I don't really do much with my minors, so I have them to spare usually. So in the future if we need minors to be used for things like that, let me know and I can do it. That is....if we don't find him before my turn
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:
    The Godkiller - OOC - Map

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azktor View Post
    Sorry for being such a nub, but...is Khitan able to hit him (with Hand of Radiance) from where he is standing now? and if yes, what penalty he would have?

That pile of debry gives the Leginnaire full cover...and Khitan only have normal sight, so it is a bit confusing to me (And 'm at my work, can't do a better research about rules right now )
    Inspectre might say differently, but as I understand his intent, it is Yes, with full cover (-5).

The thing that is weird is that if the solid debris is impassable and 2-5 squares high, it should kill Line of Sight, but that is not how it was treated last battle. Maybe there are holes in the wood through which you can barely spot the alien?

(Also, remember to use the minor action to do a perception check. We need info on the hidden aliens, and the more rolls, the better the chances someone will spot them. You can give away their positions, which will help with getting around the readied actions)

Grey Wolf

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, so Waifera is as healed as she can get for now (having used two surges should put her right at her bloodied value). When it comes around to Dagrun, he'll be using a minor action for a perception check, but won't be in range of any of the baddies. I was figuring he'd advance to one of the spots of cover in order to stay near the center of our ally group should healing need to happen, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Also, I'm not seeing the combat tracker anywhere, could I get a link to it?

Signature of Holding

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Ok, so Waifera is as healed as she can get for now (having used two surges should put her right at her bloodied value). When it comes around to Dagrun, he'll be using a minor action for a perception check, but won't be in range of any of the baddies. I was figuring he'd advance to one of the spots of cover in order to stay near the center of our ally group should healing need to happen, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Also, I'm not seeing the combat tracker anywhere, could I get a link to it?
    Combat tracker is not ready yet - but to know if we hit or not, just use the one from last combat.

I would suggest that if you are not planning to attack, you double move to inside the cyan zone so you are not in danger of being targeted by the roving UFO. You may want to go the long way around to stay out of LoS from the Thin Man. I'd assume he has max range of 10.

In any case, try to end more than 2 squares of someone else. The bastards have area-of-effect poison attacks.

DISCLAIMER: I have not checked the map to see if the above is feasible.

Grey Wolf

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

In any case, try to end more than 2 squares of someone else. The bastards have area-of-effect poison attacks.

Grey Wolf
    This.....will be a little difficult for me

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Musician View Post
    This.....will be a little difficult for me
    You need to drop Waifera before advancing. Which is going to be tricky, admittedly, since we don't want to drop her outside the safety zone.

Sooooo.... yeah, good luck with that. I'll try to strategize more later, but I'm at work and can only sneak looks at the map.

Grey Wolf

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

You need to drop Waifera before advancing. Which is going to be tricky, admittedly, since we don't want to drop her outside the safety zone.

Sooooo.... yeah, good luck with that. I'll try to strategize more later, but I'm at work and can only sneak looks at the map.

Grey Wolf
    So I pretty much plan on you guys taking out those dudes as much as we can before I have to drop the Waifera off and do some fighting. However, I will be able to make it, running, to the other side of the first bit of the chunk of the Skyranger that is in the "safe zone." It provides full cover and they won't be able to see her on the other side of it.

OR

I could just fight with her on my back. I can only assume I'd be able to give her some sort of cover from attacks and even though we'd be targetable together, if it is a blast she should be at least somewhat shielded from them as well. Not to mention if she doesn't attack at all, they should focus on me and not worry about her at all. Of course.....I could ask her and let her decide

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Musician View Post
    I could just fight with her on my back. I can only assume I'd be able to give her some sort of cover from attacks and even though we'd be targetable together, if it is a blast she should be at least somewhat shielded from them as well. Not to mention if she doesn't attack at all, they should focus on me and not worry about her at all. Of course.....I could ask her and let her decide
    Do this. Also, we should try to coordinate to stay within 5 squares of one another, that way, even if they focus fire you, I can bring you back up quickly.

Signature of Holding

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

I would suggest that if you are not planning to attack, you double move to inside the cyan zone so you are not in danger of being targeted by the roving UFO. You may want to go the long way around to stay out of LoS from the Thin Man. I'd assume he has max range of 10.
    Where was this info about the cyan zone stated?

And I'd be leery of assuming Thin Men can't shoot beyond 10 squares; maybe the range of their poison spit is limited in this way, but if they're packing plasma, I rather doubt that their gun range is more limited than a hand crossbow.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Where was this info about the cyan zone stated?
    In the tactical considerations spoiler here. Note that our current battlemap is just a zoomed-in version of that one.

Edit: Also note the glee of the DM here at the possibility that Cinder will not reach the safety zone this turn (even though she still has her regular turn), which indicates that there is a safety zone to reach.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-22 at 06:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Holy **** I had completely missed that post; if I'd known my IC reaction would be totally different; think it got crowded out by Hircine's post when I checked in on the thread.

Either way, the cyan area's significance should definitely be stated on the combat map; added.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Holy **** I had completely missed that post; if I'd known my IC reaction would be totally different; think it got crowded out by Hircine's post when I checked in on the thread.

Either way, the cyan area's significance should definitely be stated on the combat map; added.
    Go ahead and add it. My staring zone can be deleted, too.

GW

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably double moving into that total cover with a stealth check. If I can get someone 1-2s square north or south of me, I can cover them with Guardian's Counter.

EDIT: Or not because poison spit AoE is bad news bears.

Waiting on Khitan before committing.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I'm here. Sorry about all the confusion - I was in a hurry to get the battlemap pieced together last night and may have glossed over some things.

The grey/white terrain with black borders was originally meant to be Line of Sight/Line of Effect blocking terrain - in effect, a small section of wall that people could duck behind to go unseen provided that they kept that piece of cover between them and whoever was looking for them. However, if you're at the corner of a wreckage piece, just like the corner of a hallway, you can still potentially be seen and shot at by people using the cover rules (rule of thumb - trace lines between the corner of the square you occupy to every corner that the target occupies. No lines blocked = No Cover, 1 or 2 Lines Blocked = Partial Cover (-2), More than 2 Lines = Full Cover (-5).

That's only for the corners, though - standing in the middle of the wreckage or with a bunch of it between you and your attacker should block Line of Sight/Effect as well (barring AoE stuff like grenades), meaning you can't be attacked at all. That still doesn't block sound, however, so if you screw up a Stealth check (like the Sectoid Legionnaire did), people can still hear you and know exactly where you are standing behind that wall.

Now, this is completely my screw-up - I should have explained this better - my bad. As such, I'm willing to offer two options, whichever you guys would prefer - 1) This specific piece of wreckage is like swiss cheese - you can shoot through it, but things on the other side have Full Cover (so nothing changes - but things can shoot back at you through it as well). 2) We say that this block of wreckage functions as normal, which means you can't shoot the Sectoid without swinging out to one side - either way out East or up by Cinder.

Cinder's shot can still be counted by saying that she was one square north of her current position, and moved south after using Gloaming Cut, instead of being to the south and moving up after the shot. I changed the battle map a little to expand her starting area so this was an option - she should be able to move freely within that whole area up there, I just didn't draw the starting zone all the way out to the West like I should have.

The cyan zone is the "Safe from UFO" zone, yes. While within the square around the airship you are safe from detection. While outside of it, it will continue to make escalating Detection checks, until it eventually finds you and comes after whoever is still outside the safe zone.

The airship in question is the "Tailwind", a supply airship that Ferrum was aboard. The H.H.A. Archangel is just to the east, about 150' from the "Tailwind".

The combat tracker should now be online and ready for use for this combat - the link on the battlemap should take you there.

Waifera would rather fight than be left alone to potentially die somewhere - just say that you would like her to fight and she can do something. To make it simple we'll just have her go on Ferrum's initiative count, after Ferrum. You don't need to know what she has to use, just make a post saying something along the lines of "At-Will", "Heal (Who)", "Encounter", or "Daily". Daily is a healing power - you get HP back for hitting whatever she uses it on, so you should save that one for something big.

She is now at "full HP", or 13/26, thanks to Dagrun's healing skills. Nobody has found the medicine chest yet though from the Skyranger - maybe they will be one inside the Tailwind . . . if it hasn't already been ransacked by the X-Ds just for giggles.

Finally, an admission about the Silicoids that Surrealistik noticed in the combat tracker - these are the Silicoids from X-COM: The Bureau, which completely redid them. Instead of piles of semi-mobile rock, they're oily black oozes that leap on people. I liked the rebooted version, so I'm using them here, but since I might also want to use the "real" Silicoids at some point, I'm changing the name of the creatures you're fighting (since they're both called "Silicoids", and that could get confusing). So these things will henceforth be known as . . . "Ichoroids". Yeah, start laughing now - they won't be so funny once you see them in action (if they hit).
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-22 at 07:19 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Definitely #2. No desire to trigger Thin Man overwatch on my approach to the cover here; also if they've got poison spit readied, they give no ****s about the intervening superior cover due to the origin square of the AoE existing beyond it.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    Cinder's shot can still be counted by saying that she was one square north of her current position, and moved south after using Gloaming Cut, instead of being to the south and moving up after the shot. I changed the battle map a little to expand her starting area so this was an option - she should be able to move freely within that whole area up there, I just didn't draw the starting zone all the way out to the West like I should have.
    No need to change anything. I checked my position, and I had LoS to two corners of the guy I targeted. I've drawn the LoS in the map in blue (delete it to prevent confusion once you see it).

In fact, I've been kicking myself, because Cinder had full cover there, and I could've used the more powerful Sly Flourish and still would have been decently defended. But it was late, and I rushed the decision. Oh, well, an extra 7 damage would've been nice, but hopefully it won't be game-changing.

Grey Wolf

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Well sonofa - you're right! No worries about that then. Unfortunately, Khitan has no targets within 10 squares and should probably just double-move.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    Well sonofa - you're right! No worries about that then.
    :: Bows ::

I aim to please

Seriously, though, hopefully when you said you would want help running the game, you meant the kind of vice-DM'ing I've been doing today. I don't want to step on your toes.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-22 at 08:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yes - I'm hoping that you and Surrealistik can correct me if I make a rules error - mostly those are done out of ignorance than deliberate DM Fiat.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm here now! Do you guys think delay action would be wise? so that maybe a couple of the sectoids come into Khitan's range...

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azktor View Post
    I'm here now! Do you guys think delay action would be wise? so that maybe a couple of the sectoids come into Khitan's range...
    In other circumstances, maybe. In one where staying outside the cyan line means chancing death, no. It is dangerous, but we need to move in, if we can.

That said, you may want to consider calling me a hypocrite, since depending on enemy moves, I may stay outside the line myself - but only because if I understand the description correctly, if we are detected, the UFO won't arrive immediately, and Cinder is very difficult to pin down, so I can rush to safety as long as I am close.

Grey Wolf

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

All right, thanks for the answers/clarifications! I think then, that double move + perception roll would be the most wise move right now....