The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: X-Com: The Fourth Dimension (OOC Thread)

So, right now Khitan is seeing most of them right? If Khitan Described the location of the enemies, quickly, on IC would his allies see them? or at least receive a bonus to find them?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azktor View Post
    So, right now Khitan is seeing most of them right? If Khitan Described the location of the enemies, quickly, on IC would his allies see them? or at least receive a bonus to find them?
    Neither. But they would know what square to aim at - they would still be shooting at something with full concealment (-5) but it is better than aiming at a square that might not contain your target anymore.

---

Surrealistik, how would you feel about delaying to give Cinder time to escape, then blasting the pair of things? Also, how foolish would it be to escape, then full-move away from them, granting them an OA? Is the thing likely to grab me with an OA?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-23 at 11:50 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Khitan sees all of the enemies currently on the Battle Map I believe. He can point out each of their locations as a free action - however, until they beat their stealth checks themselves, the X-Ds are still effectively Invisible (-5 to hit due to Total Concealment, and they have CA against PCs that don't see them). Still, they know where to shoot, which is a big step-up.

Grey Wolf - They are oozes - the only thing they know how to do is grab. So if they get an OA, they will attempt to grab you. Ones holding onto you can't take OAs since they're tied up tying you up, but since you're Restrained with even one holding you generally you can't move anyway. In short, getting away from these little bastards is hard.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-23 at 11:51 PM.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm thinking I'll wait until you act during the next round to an Ignition at the oozes since we're both in the same initiative block now; if I do so though, it will be with an action point.

That all said, I'm getting wayyy more mileage out of this Ignition attack than I ever expected I would, lol.

5. - Top - End - #245

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Waifera and I moved up, not a very exciting round

My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:
    The Godkiller - OOC - Map

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Khitan, Kaeravak, Dagrun, and Cinder are all up!

Something that I would like to implement for the future is setting a time limit on how long on people have to post before we skip their turn and move on. So far everyone's been doing an excellent job of keeping the game moving, I just want to make sure that it stays that way.

My idea is that after I post that it is someone's turn, they have 24 hours to reply - I will count Sat/Sun as "one day" for the purposes of this since I know that Hircine is not available during the weekends. That following night if I don't have a reply from them I will do either one of two things.

1) That PC will Delay, until such time as the player comes back and posts an action.
    2) The PC will take their turn using a pre-set round of actions that you provide me for - something simple, like "Use Sly Flourish on nearest enemy, attempt to maintain Stealth" for Cinder. I will then carry out your PC's turn for you according to your actions.

Does that seem fair? Thoughts?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Ferrum is pretty easy to say what he is going to do. If he isn't near enemies, move to them getting adjacent to as many as possible even if it means an OA here or there, use thorn strike on any that are squares away (melee 2 it is), and mark all the adjacent enemies at the end of his turn. If all the enemies he can possibly get are next to him, hit 'em with Strength of stone and mark them all again.....and using his Immediates on the ones that can do the most damage to the party. Also, I can not do damage with my Warden's Fury and slide enemies instead....which is REALLY nice to be able to do.

His is pretty easy: Slide them all to him and keep marking them.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

OK, so unless their AC is as terrible as Kaeravak's, I'm eating an OA. Question: do they grab with the OA? If I can assume that, hit or not, I make it to the group, there is something I want to say IC, to finish the turn.

Grey Wolf
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

They do grab with the OA, as their at-will is their basic melee (they're globs of goo). And that does miss - is Cinder still going to risk running away? (Technically she shouldn't know that they can still grab her before she seems them take an OA, but meh - they're giant globs of goo!)

Edit: On the other hand, their attack is versus Reflex, which is almost as good as her AC, so . . . yeah. The Ichoroid's chance to hit isn't that great, either. Please confirm if Cinder is making a run for it or not before I roll the OA.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2014-01-24 at 11:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    They do grab with the OA, as their at-will is their basic melee (they're globs of goo). And that does miss - is Cinder still going to risk running away? (Technically she shouldn't know that they can still grab her before she seems them take an OA, but meh - they're giant globs of goo!)

Edit: On the other hand, their attack is versus Reflex, which is almost as good as her AC, so . . . yeah. The Ichoroid's chance to hit isn't that great, either. Please confirm if Cinder is making a run for it or not before I roll the OA.
    Yes, she'll risk it regardless. And her ref is not almost as good - it is better. Rogues are weird that way.

GW

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Missed - Cinder is lucky. That one would have grabbed hold of her head around the eyes, Blinding her, plus the usual Ichoroid stuff.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

A bit torn here; personally I think Khitan might be a better choice for dropping the Ichoroids because I'm one of the few people that can actually attack the Thin Men without taking concealment and cover penalties.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty sure Cinder was an altitude 0 to take advantage of the cover. When she escaped, she shifted up to altitude 1 as well as back. She then flew away and is currently hovering out of cover at altitude 1. That way if they grab hold of her again, when she shifts she'll be at altitude 2, out of their reach and can once again run away without having to eat a potentially very bad OA next time.

Kaeravak is likely to kill whatever he does go after, so it depends on whether the Thin Man or the Ichoroids is a greater threat, I suppose.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    A bit torn here; personally I think Khitan might be a better choice for dropping the Ichoroids because I'm one of the few people that can actually attack the Thin Men without taking concealment and cover penalties.
    Khitan can as well, he has plenty of area attacks, and it's not like staying in cover is doing him much good. I say, he can move into close combat and start blasting. Ferrum can follow for some back-up.

Your blast would be wasted on thin men this turn, now that they've separated. You'll get more bang for your buck if you hit the ichoroid while they are bunched together. Unless your fire field provides illumination, I suppose.

Edit: also, I'm not sure you even have LoE to blast the thin men. Unless you are willing to run (and that would kill your chances of hitting), no safe place you can move to would have LoE into the ship, as far as I can tell. If the UFo wasn't coming this turn, sure - but if it wasn't coming, I wouldn't have blown an AP just to get away, either.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-25 at 10:43 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Dropping a Thin Man and dropping 2x Ichoroid results in denying Team Monster roughly the same overall effects/damage output since the latter are both minions.

I can just barely angle an AoE on Thin Man 1 by moving just left of Waifera/Dagrun.

Khitan could drop an AoE but he needs to get close; I'm also not sure if he can deal enough damage to drop Thin Man 1 since he deals ~11 maximum with his AoEs while TM1 is unbloodied at 13.

That said, I'll leave it up to Khitan.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Dropping a Thin Man and dropping an Ichoroid results in denying Team Monster roughly the same overall effects/damage output since the latter are both minions.
    How do you know they are minions? If you are meta-gaming (which I'd rather you didn't, btw), presumably you deduced it from the no-roll damage, but even then at best they're some of your half-minions, since there is two of them rather than four. But ideally, the way to know if they are minions is to hit one and see if it dies.

GW

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

They're minions based on fixed (not to mention conspicuously low) damage dealt which is metagaming yes, but that's not the IC assessment:

Attacking two blob things, one of which bruised Cinder, or finishing off an injured alien who's badly perforated Khitan several times which most of the rest of the team can't hit, while just about everyone can attack the blobs.

EDIT: Nice! I'll certainly take that crit!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Perception check as a minor because I can:

(1d20)[19](19) (-2 for more than 10 squares distance as appropriate)

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that was an effective AoE hit. I'm starting to regret not having these Ichoroids be capable of pulling hit people into their squares though - Kaeravak is toeing the line of that safe zone, hehehe. But you made sure to kill the only monster with a Push first, you bastards.

Still got Dagrun and Khitan, and then those poor sectoid grunts get a chance to turn this fight around for the X-Ds (hint: they probably aren't going to pull it off ).

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Posting right now! sorry for the my absence, I was not at home this weekend...

Edit: some really lousy rolls going on....
    Last edited by Azktor; 2014-01-27 at 09:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Dagrun's action is posted up. With nothing in range, he has nothing to attack. Assuming I can sacrifice a Standard action to make a perception check (on top of the minor action I already spent), here is his second perception check:

Perception Check: (1d20+4)[8]
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Dagrun's action is posted up. With nothing in range, he has nothing to attack. Assuming I can sacrifice a Standard action to make a perception check (on top of the minor action I already spent), here is his second perception check:

Perception Check: [roll0]
    Next time, consider readying an attack for enemies getting into your attack range. The blobs are likely to charge, so you probably wouldn't loose the action.

Grey Wolf

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Next time, consider readying an attack for enemies getting into your attack range. The blobs are likely to charge, so you probably wouldn't loose the action.

Grey Wolf
    Ah, right, I forgot that we can do that. I'll remember for next time.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Ah, right, I forgot that we can do that. I'll remember for next time.
    I may have spoken too quickly, actually. IIRC, 4E does not make readying actions all that easy: you may not be able to do your move and minor actions in your turn, and then ready the standard- I think it might be all or nothing.

GW

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Readying expends your Standard and Immediate Action, but you can take your other actions I believe.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Ready An Action

Spoiler
    Show
    When a creature readies an action, it prepares to react to an event or to someone else’s action. Readying an action is a way of saying, “As soon as x happens, my character does y.” Examples include “As soon as the troll walks out from behind the corner, I shoot an arrow at it,” or “If the goblin ends its movement adjacent to me, I shift away.”

Ready an Action
    Action: Standard action. To ready an action, a creature follows these steps.
    1. Choose Action to Ready: Choose the specific action the creature is readying (the attack it plans to use, for example), as well as the intended target, if applicable. The creature can ready a standard action, a move action, or a minor action. Whichever action is chosen, the act of readying it is a standard action.
    2. Choose Trigger: Choose the circumstance that will trigger the readied action. When that trigger occurs, the creature can use the readied action. If the trigger doesn’t occur or the creature chooses to ignore it, the creature can’t use the readied action and instead takes its next turn as normal.
    3. Immediate Reaction: Using a readied action is an immediate reaction, so it takes place right after the trigger finishes.
    4. Reset Initiative: When the creature finishes the readied action, its place in the initiative order moves to directly before the creature or the event that triggered the readied action.

Triggering Opportunity Actions
    If a creature readies an action that normally triggers opportunity actions, it triggers them twice: when it readies the action and when it takes the action.
    Example: If an adventurer readies a ranged attack while adjacent to an enemy, he provokes an opportunity attack from that enemy. If he is still adjacent to an enemy when he makes the ranged attack, he provokes an opportunity attack again.

Interrupting with a Readied Action
    Often a player wants his or her character to use a readied action to attack before an enemy does. In this situation, the action should be readied to respond to the enemy’s movement. That way, if the enemy moves before attacking, the readied action will be triggered by a portion of that movement, allowing the character to interrupt it and attack first. Readying an action to be triggered by an enemy attack means that the readied action will occur as a reaction to the attack, so the character’s attack happens only after the enemy attacks.
    An enemy might use a power that lets it move and then attack with a single action. If a character readied an action to attack in response to that enemy’s movement, the readied action interrupts the movement, allowing the character to attack before the enemy does.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

28. - Top - End - #268

29. - Top - End - #269

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed, and everyone is all nicely bunched up together. Hmm . . . pity these Ichoroids don't have any AoE attacks . . . or ranged attacks (*makes a mental note to create a version that "spits" itself at a target). There's four tempting targets that can all be reached from that one square, too. They've already gotten a taste of Cinder (and liked it), their bosses would be really happy if they could squeeze out that damn tiefling blowing them all up, Waifera's already half-tied up, and Ferrum . . . well, he's a big metal thing. That's scary!

Let's see who they end up choosing . . . . (1d4)[3]