New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pact: A complete breakfast cereal brought to you by Wildbow [spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    In that case, he can plead the fifth to certain questions, he's merely a witness, not the accused.
    Thats. Not. How. The. Fifth. Works.
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    You aren't allowed to plead the fifth for some questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by me again
    Once again, Fifth Amendment is an all or nothing thing.
    That said, getting a defense attorney in an unrelated case to ask that question is even more unlikely than a prosecutor going after him for involvment in Molly's murder. Prosecutor may even be able to object due to irrelevance, might. Either way, it's something that I can't see plausibly happening.
    A cop being a part of numerous crimes is relevant. A cop being completely bat**** insane relevant. Sort of destroys any credibility he has. A cop losing the trust of the jury is the kind of thing that wins cases for the defense.

This is exactly the kind of thing that would screw Laird over. And its exactly the kind of thing Blake just did.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pact: A complete breakfast cereal brought to you by Wildbow [spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Thats. Not. How. The. Fifth. Works.
    From your own link:

Witnesses may also choose to plead the fifth when they take the stand. Unlike the defendant, however, witnesses can be forced to testify (usually through a subpoena). As a result, a witness can choose which questions he or she feels comfortable answering.
    So yes, unless your link is wrong, that is how the fifth works.

A cop being a part of numerous crimes is relevant. A cop being completely bat**** insane relevant. Sort of destroys any credibility he has. A cop losing the trust of the jury is the kind of thing that wins cases for the defense.
    That doesn't mean that the defense attorney is going to ask about whether or not a respected police chief has assassins under his control without some real evidence to support that, otherwise it makes them look desperate and grasping at straws.

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I notice that the only Others who talked with him were Padraic, Essylt, and "Bob." (So named because I can't remember his actual name) The others were Barbatorem, locked in his circle, Letita, who attacked him on Joanna's orders, and Ornias, who has only been invoked 6 of 7 times and thus has not entered yet.

Padraic engaged Blake in polite conversation, despite noting the lack of "thorns" that "little Rose" had. It was only when Blake reacted badly to Essylt's caress that things started to get frosty. It's looking like the Others are giving Blake more of a fair chance than the humans are.
    The one's he's talked to, yes. But you're forgetting the ones that surround his home and try to lure him by doing things like faking attacking a pizza deliveryman or sneak up on him if he comes outside. Those Others don't seem quite so friendly.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The one's he's talked to, yes. But you're forgetting the ones that surround his home and try to lure him by doing things like faking attacking a pizza deliveryman or sneak up on him if he comes outside. Those Others don't seem quite so friendly.
    Hrm. I had forgotten about the terrifying pizza siege. Well that's that theory scuppered then. I still think Padraic would be one of the few to approach for a familiar deal, especially if Blake can play on Laird's accidental snubbing of him last council meeting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

That doesn't mean that the defense attorney is going to ask about whether or not a respected police chief has assassins under his control without some real evidence to support that, otherwise it makes them look desperate and grasping at straws.

If you want a more detailed explanation you can find one here.
    He'll probably lose his testimony. And the jury is allowed to make inferences from the invocation of the fifth. Saying "I plead the fifth" to "Yes or no, do you have assassin's working for you?", (except dressed up in demonic legalese) its gonna get taken as a "yes" by everyone except the legal system when it decides to try him. Including the jury of whatever case he tried to testify for.

He has admitted to the whole world all of his wrongs. He will lose his position. He's worthless since now any case he is involved in he'll just get asked the same list of questions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

A new New York IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait a minute... I'm a fool! There in Canada. There is no fifth.

Anyway... so I'm just going to pretend that little debate never happened and it was all about kittens.

On that note: Laird is an ass. Also notice how his Molly plan had multiple parts? Something tells me Maggie wasn't the one to kill her.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

On that note: Laird is an ass. Also notice how his Molly plan had multiple parts? Something tells me Maggie wasn't the one to kill her.
    It tell us that Laird has (suprise) plan for long game.
    Last edited by Madwand; 2014-02-11 at 06:15 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I think Laird wants Jacob's Bell to be a Lord's territory, with him as the Lord over it (I don't know if people have noticed it, but Laird is the term for the head of a Scottish Clan). What was noted by Blake is very important: while Laird can't lie, if he spins a parable he has lots of freedom to twist the parable into his wishful thinking. this means 2 things: he can't really afford to deal with both the Sorceror and Blake at once, instead preferring to a single front war. It would be a great idea for Blake to get a cease-fire between him and the Sorceror, putting pressure on Laird, allowing Blake to get more time to get his magic up and running (tools, familiar and demesne), as well as get used to the whole political situation. It will also grant time to perhaps enslave a demon of his own (apart form the barber) so he has a bit more tools to play with. Meanwhile getting Maggie on board as part of the coven might be beneficial: she has shown she knows how to deal, even if she (has been) is in a tight situation (starved for knowledge). to give her knowledge is to make her more powerful. let her swear fealty to Blake will help Blake have a bit more freedom and a source of power. With more power comes more influence, which has the fortunate opportunity of trading it for Karma, reducing the debt, bying even more time to get more allies (practioner/Other), rinse and repeat. It will, however, be hard since maggie played a role in Molly's death.

Also, a prediction: Blake will find out he can feed Rose power and transfrom her form a vestige into something real by making her his familiar, thus making her permanent. Though I'm not entirely sure what the power implications will be for this. He has promised it though...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

8. - Top - End - #128

You know, I think Laird wants Jacob's Bell to be a Lord's territory, with him as the Lord over it (I don't know if people have noticed it, but Laird is the term for the head of a Scottish Clan)
    Well, fact that Jackob' Bell don't have Lord is telling. I am guessing that when location become large/prosperous enought there is metaphysical shift. Said change create position of Lord and uplift everyone.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Colossus in the Playground

They have referred to the Lord of Toronto. Makes me thing only the very largest cities have one.

After reading the comments, there's one thing that I have to ask. Am I the only one who thinks that Laird really isn't that bad? For me, his position makes a lot of sense. Just from the description of the Barber, I'd be all up for removing Diabolists by any means possible. So I don't quite get the hate.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    They have referred to the Lord of Toronto. Makes me thing only the very largest cities have one.

After reading the comments, there's one thing that I have to ask. Am I the only one who thinks that Laird really isn't that bad? For me, his position makes a lot of sense. Just from the description of the Barber, I'd be all up for removing Diabolists by any means possible. So I don't quite get the hate.
    But he's attacked people who have never summoned a demon. Both Molly and Blake are NOT diabolists. Yet he still tries to hurt them. Indeed in all honesty he is making it more likely Blake will fire the Barber or Ornias or bankruptcy as his other options get cut off. Hell, the goodwill of Blake is probably the only thing that prevented Ornias from being dropped already.

There are a few real options here.
    1) Laird has good intentions, but is a murdering moron. He doesn't believe Blake actually has demonic firepower yet, but he believes Blake is one of your standard diabolists. He thinks he is stopping a demonologist before things go bad. Still doesn't excuse his attempts to get Blake killed or his conspiracy to murder Molly.
    2) Laird is just a straight up murderer. Blake is just acting as a distraction for him. Lets him get strong while everyone is focused on the big bad Blake. He may or may not know that Blake can fire demonic weapons. He may or may not know that Blake isn't the sort of person to fire his weapons. Whatever the case he believes himself to be safe.

However, there is no possible way he is not a murderer or at the very least part of a violent criminal conspiracy. (See what happened to Molly.) Killing/Attacking innocents means your the baddie.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

But he's attacked people who have never summoned a demon. Both Molly and Blake are NOT diabolists. Yet he still tries to hurt them. Indeed in all honesty he is making it more likely Blake will fire the Barber or Ornias or bankruptcy as his other options get cut off. Hell, the goodwill of Blake is probably the only thing that prevented Ornias from being dropped already.
    Thank. You. This is what I've been saying all along. Laird and the Jacob's Bell practitioners as a perhaps over-generalized whole are making it easier for Blake to use the barber, or Ornias, or any other demons he finds as a ragequit button, while making it harder to go legit.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think he's going to ragequit and burn the town. I do see him firing the Barber at select targets. Like say Laird.

Its also possible Laird is banking on his Blake's goodwill. Hell, he might even use some sort of chronomancy to check if he'll use up Blake's goodwill and get demoned. Which of course would make Laird particularly evil.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Thank. You. This is what I've been saying all along. Laird and the Jacob's Bell practitioners as a perhaps over-generalized whole are making it easier for Blake to use the barber, or Ornias, or any other demons he finds as a ragequit button, while making it harder to go legit.
    Which doesn't matter if they think they're safe from any of Blake's attempts (which they clearly do) and that there's no way for Blake go legit and for them to still get what they want (which is true). By their view, they risk nothing.

14. - Top - End - #134

Which doesn't matter if they think they're safe from any of Blake's attempts (which they clearly do) and that there's no way for Blake go legit and for them to still get what they want (which is true). By their view, they risk nothing.
    No, they are taking risk. To quote:

Quote Originally Posted by "damages 2.2"
    “If you fail badly enough, I could lose everything. In order of severity, there’s failure where you’re ineffectual, failure where you get yourself killed, and greater failure still where you might get everyone here killed.
    But they are taking this risk..

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Very well, slight risk (since as he points out, there's plenty of ways for Blake to fail to do anything to hurt them), but required risk to achieve their goals.

EDIT: Actually, wait, that's Johannes saying that, not Laird. I should point out that he's not one of the ones intentionally trying to make life harder for Blake, even "helping" him a bit. For his own benefit, but still. Laird (the main one that is causing Blake problems) feels more secure in dealing with Blake.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2014-02-11 at 01:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

EDIT: Actually, wait, that's Johannes saying that, not Laird. I should point out that he's not one of the ones intentionally trying to make life harder for Blake, even "helping" him a bit. For his own benefit, but still. Laird (the main one that is causing Blake problems) feels more secure in dealing with Blake.
    Yes, but Johannes thinks himself stronger than Laird. Oh, we'll see.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

All signs point to Laird being a moron. In fact, I doubt he can stop the Barber.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, apparently canadian law doesn't allow for witnesses to plead the fifth in other people's trials. Huh, this could get tricky for him.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

I feel bad for Maggie. Also I'm hoping we get more chapters from her POV.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

All signs point to Laird being a moron. In fact, I doubt he can stop the Barber.
    And what, exactly, are you willing to risk on that assumption? I don't think he's a moron. If anything he's smart enough to survive this long in a normal practitioner's life (if fairly well-to-do karmawise). Also, that trick he pulled at the council, big bravado so that the anti-barber deal is shunted onto Maggie, Crone Mara, and the Briar Girl? Purely to convince Blake not to go that way. Whether he was telling facts or not (he was telling the truth because practitioner, but we know how malleable the truth is by now) the point was to get Blake to abandon that tack. I'm fairly certain of this anyway.

Huh, apparently canadian law doesn't allow for witnesses to plead the fifth in other people's trials. Huh, this could get tricky for him.
    This tidbit, on the other hand, is much more likely to provide in-roads for Blake.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

And what, exactly, are you willing to risk on that assumption? I don't think he's a moron.
    Okay, badly misinformed. He's pushing Blake to take options, knowingly or not, that end badly for everyone. He's been systematically cutting off every option except the demons. And I don't think he's as well prepared as he acts like. The sorcerer? He's slightly worried Blake might blow everything up. Laird? He may as well be actively pushing for it.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Okay, badly misinformed. He's pushing Blake to take options, knowingly or not, that end badly for everyone. He's been systematically cutting off every option except the demons. And I don't think he's as well prepared as he acts like. The sorcerer? He's slightly worried Blake might blow everything up. Laird? He may as well be actively pushing for it.
    This, I'll grant you.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

So... that's a bit interesting. Is this an effect from the recent power usage? I don't think so. We've seen it with June. Which says some interesting things about the Rose-Blake relationship. Or as someone mentioned in the comments: Blake is really a way for Rose to affect the world.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'll be honest...

I am REALLY struggeling with Pact.

I can't put my finger on it... it just doesnt have the "MUST READ MORE" factor that Worm had / has for me.

The latest chapter actually bored me. I had to make myself finish it...

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Finally a break for Blake and Rose. Finally. They can go outside and actually take back some control. Sure it will be biting them in the backside afterwards, but until then let's enjoy this little victory

I especially loved how briar girl tried to play hardball in the negociations and how Blake and Rose idly tell her why it won't be such a great idea.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

26. - Top - End - #146

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by SanguisAevum View Post
    I'll be honest...

I can't put my finger on it... it just doesnt have the "MUST READ MORE" factor that Worm had / has for me.

For me it's two things.

Blake and The Town.

Blake never struck me as a relateable character. Sure, his family was ****ty but he had a home and no one abused him, so he ran away. This would've been fine if it didn't seem that the only reason he ran away was to get some acknowledgement out of his parents and he stayed away due to his pride no matter what abuse he encountered on the streets.
    I've got little issue with headstrong characters but this is plain stupidity.

The Town. I'm not sure if it's just me who've been missing things but I never really got a grasp of how big the town is or what it looks like. Whenever I read about it I just get the sense that it's snowy, so I've got Silent Hill in my head.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

27. - Top - End - #147

I like Pact and I wait for every update. It is not as action-pack as Worm, but for me it is plus. I really like Others and all small bits of world-building.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SanguisAevum View Post
    I'll be honest...

I really like Pact. More so then I liked the early chapters of Worm.

Blake I do like as I view him as basically being ****** over by Darth Granny + circumstances. His one little decision to stand up to his grandmother has basically torn him from his quite happy normal life and is now doing its best to kill him. He also knows that he'll never get that life back, but he hasn't really faced what that means yet.

I'm also rooting for him to survive without resorting to using demons at all. For that one meeting where he'll stand up and correct everyone when they call him a diabolist. I think that would be the ultimate victory for Blake. To not only survive, but to do so without resorting to the methods that got his family in this mess in the first place.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I really like Pact. More so then I liked the early chapters of Worm.

Blake I do like as I view him as basically being ****** over by Darth Granny + circumstances. His one little decision to stand up to his grandmother has basically torn him from his quite happy normal life and is now doing its best to kill him. He also knows that he'll never get that life back, but he hasn't really faced what that means yet.

I'm also rooting for him to survive without resorting to using demons at all. For that one meeting where he'll stand up and correct everyone when they call him a diabolist. I think that would be the ultimate victory for Blake. To not only survive, but to do so without resorting to the methods that got his family in this mess in the first place.
    Honestly I hope that one day when someone calls him a Diabolist they get nailed with the liar stick over it.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Oh dear, This does not bode well...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...