New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Oblongata Rising: A D&D 4E Campaign (IC)

Alaric gratefully nods at the barkeep, and is about to go pay when some niggling thoughts in the back of his mind get the better of him.

"Aurelios? Abby? Can I talk to you for just a second?" he asks, gesturing towards one of the empty tables.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

"Chandler, if you have time at some point could you try and sell these?" Abigail says indicating the barrel (and any other stuff the party has collected I suppose.)

"Sure." she replies to Alaric and goes to take a seat.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Aurelios Human Swordmage|Wizard
    Character Sheet | Description

Aurelios sweeps across the room and balances atop a stool at the table. It seems as though the man is not at ease unless he is precariously perched somewhere, as though being well grounded was a vice, not a virtue.

"if you wish to, we can talk. But before we spend too much time in public you may want to wash. Soaked as you are in blood and flesh may draw the wrong kind of attention at some point." Aurelios raises an eyebrow at the man.
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-01-26 at 01:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    "Chandler, if you have time at some point could you try and sell these?" Abigail says indicating the barrel (and any other stuff the party has collected I suppose.)

"Sure." she replies to Alaric and goes to take a seat.
    "I'll see what I can do," Chandler says uncertainly, "But the Oblongata's going to start wondering where their dragon went, and a pile of this stuff on the market's bound to attract some unwanted attention. It'll take some time, either to wait for the market to cool down or to sell outside of the city."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Alaric nods distantly at Chandler's advice on fencing the loot.

"The blood dripping off me will still be wet by the time we're done, I promise.

"Friends, I'll admit I'm not the sharpest knife on the block, but I know a bad client when I see it. You said it yourself, Aurelios: that ink on Chandler could mean that he's compromised, and if he's compromised, we all are. Now, I don't know anything about Tharizdun, and I don't lean towards trusting the workings of a god if I ain't ever seen their temple in a crowded city. If Chandler's mixed up in something like that, well . . . I had some high times with the man, but I've no particular loyalty to him that'll make me stay if it means rubbing shoulders with some crazy cult.

"Marley seems a smart sort, but it don't take a genius to see that he's got one eye over his shoulder and one foot out the door. You two're the brains of this group, near's I can tell. What kinda options do you see here? Cause I ain't comfortable with what's on this menu, and I'd as soon eat somewhere else, you get me?"

Alaric wasn't too sure what a menu was, but his Uncle Ash (WHO LOVED HIM AND MISSED HIM) used to spit that line whenever he didn't like a job they'd been hired for.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail thinks for a moment and says, "At this point I'm not sure we even have a client at all. Chandler can't know what we're doing and we haven't been asked to do anything else. We could go talk to his employer, but I have no idea if that's a smart thing for us to do or not. He could be the one who had the mark put on Chandler, he could have his own schemes, or he could be what Chandler says and we could wind up leading trouble straight to him.

I'm not a total mercenary and leaving this gang around to get up to whatever they're planning to doesn't sit particularly well with me, but without, or maybe even with, all of you guys I'm not particularly safe in this city or anywhere House Wands operates. So taking on a gang without anyone backing us up and paying us for our trouble isn't really a situation I'd be too happy with.

However, I'm not sure if all of the others would be ok walking away from this now. So, we're in a bit of a pickle."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Oris asks the barkeep where a library (or equivalent for reading research) could be found.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Oris asks the barkeep where a library (or equivalent for reading research) could be found.
    The barkeep sits down the glass he was cleaning, and shrugs.
    "Depends on what you're lookin' for, mate. Almost every nobleman in the city has a personal library. There's a couple low-end bookstores around here, even. Closest one's called 'The Mermaid', two blocks from 'ere. But if you're looking for the best, it'll have to be the Westcliffe. It's up in the Trades Ward, that's where the nobles all buy their books from."
    Spoiler
    Show

Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    The barkeep sits down the glass he was cleaning, and shrugs.
    "Depends on what you're lookin' for, mate. Almost every nobleman in the city has a personal library. There's a couple low-end bookstores around here, even. Closest one's called 'The Mermaid', two blocks from 'ere. But if you're looking for the best, it'll have to be the Westcliffe. It's up in the Trades Ward, that's where the nobles all buy their books from."
    Oris turns to his fellow party members and says: I am taken by curiosity on this tattoo. Would anybody be interested in accompanying me to partake in research?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It is strange that you would not notice the tattoo..." frowned at Chandler. She had remained silent for the majority of the conversation, only occasionally glancing at the others. The presence of the barrels of dragon meat continued to make her uncomfortable. "You do not seem all that bothered by it," she said, deciding to just ignore it. "Is finding a new tattoo common among your people?"

As the others seemed to split into their own conversations and activities, Belle looked around. "I did not get a chance to tell you at the time, but I found some things at the orc fortress," she said. "Including a name: Razgog. Your master seems well-connected. Could you ask about it for me?"

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dac View Post
    "It is strange that you would not notice the tattoo..." frowned at Chandler. She had remained silent for the majority of the conversation, only occasionally glancing at the others. The presence of the barrels of dragon meat continued to make her uncomfortable. "You do not seem all that bothered by it," she said, deciding to just ignore it. "Is finding a new tattoo common among your people?"

As the others seemed to split into their own conversations and activities, Belle looked around. "I did not get a chance to tell you at the time, but I found some things at the orc fortress," she said. "Including a name: Razgog. Your master seems well-connected. Could you ask about it for me?"
    "Mysterious tattoos certainly aren't anything I've heard of before, but when you work in Waterdeep, things start to become believable."
    He rolls his sleeve back down over the tattoo.
    "Razgog, eh? R-A-Z-G-O-G? Alright, I'll talk to him about it. Should be going, I'll talk to you all later, I hope."
    Chandler gathers himself, tosses Belle he package, and starts to leave the Free Arms, with a nod to the barkeep.
    "Good day, Mister Dougan."

Spoiler
    Show
    Your package, along with 150 gold, has a small slip of paper. The handwriting is neat and well formed.

Westcliff Library
    210 Silver Street, Trades Ward, Waterdeep
    E. Castle
    915.399, p.217
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Abigail thinks for a moment and says, "At this point I'm not sure we even have a client at all. Chandler can't know what we're doing and we haven't been asked to do anything else. We could go talk to his employer, but I have no idea if that's a smart thing for us to do or not. He could be the one who had the mark put on Chandler, he could have his own schemes, or he could be what Chandler says and we could wind up leading trouble straight to him.

I'm not a total mercenary and leaving this gang around to get up to whatever they're planning to doesn't sit particularly well with me, but without, or maybe even with, all of you guys I'm not particularly safe in this city or anywhere House Wands operates. So taking on a gang without anyone backing us up and paying us for our trouble isn't really a situation I'd be too happy with.

However, I'm not sure if all of the others would be ok walking away from this now. So, we're in a bit of a pickle."
    "I have no reason to leave this place yet, and reason to believe some of what I search for is here. If the wind wishes me swirl around in this eddy for a bit, I am contempt to not alter its course as of yet.

My curiosity has gotten the best of me, and further I am worried for my friend. I have abandoned too many already, I will not do so again."
    Aurelios thinks about the carp floundering on the deck of a doomed boat. "Our choices have consequences, it is abot time I make mine count." With that, Aurelios’s decision is made. He leaps off the back of the chair and lands near the door.

"Friend Oris, I would accompany you if my company be welcomed." As he awaits an answer, he searches the contents of his bag. As far as he knew, he had no agreed upon price for helping Chandler, only a favor for a friend in diress.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yarael View Post

"I have no reason to leave this place yet, and reason to believe some of what I search for is here. If the wind wishes me swirl around in this eddy for a bit, I am contempt to not alter its course as of yet.

My curiosity has gotten the best of me, and further I am worried for my friend. I have abandoned too many already, I will not do so again."
    Aurelios thinks about the carp floundering on the deck of a doomed boat. "Our choices have consequences, it is abot time I make mine count." With that, Aurelios’s decision is made. He leaps off the back of the chair and lands near the door.

"Friend Oris, I would accompany you if my company be welcomed." As he awaits an answer, he searches the contents of his bag. As far as he knew, he had no agreed upon price for helping Chandler, only a favor for a friend in diress.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Regardless, 300 gold pieces are inside the bag.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yarael View Post

Oris nods I would be glad to have you. Anyone else?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

Belle opened the paper, staring at it for a little bit. She finally closed it, and looked to Oris with a nod. "I guess I'll help."

16. - Top - End - #286

EvilClericGuy

Victor walks closer and says, "I will be little help in your research, but I want to know where this leads. I will come with you."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dac View Post
    Belle opened the paper, staring at it for a little bit. She finally closed it, and looked to Oris with a nod. "I guess I'll help."
    Quote Originally Posted by allonym View Post
    Victor walks closer and says, "I will be little help in your research, but I want to know where this leads. I will come with you."
    Glad to see that there are some willing to accompany me. Oris smiles
    Last edited by gac3; 2014-01-26 at 08:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail gives the group of would-be-leavers a look of puzzlement and says, "You do realize how late it is don't you? Do you really think a library would be open at this time?"

She turns back to look at Alaric and says, "You see? Some will be going through with this for no possible gain, heedless of all risks regardless. Anyway, I'm going to go to bathe and then sleep. I'm exhausted. Perhaps in the morning one of the others, who apparently think they don't need to sleep, will have figured out a way for those of us who aren't keen on risking our lives for nothing to get paid for what the city watch should be doing."

And then Abigail leaves to do as she said.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

Belle looked at the bunny-eared girl weirdly. As far as she could tell, no one had said anything about taking off at that exact moment.

Strange.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Dougan watches Abigail grab a key from the counter and go upstairs, and then turns back to the rest of the adventurers.

"So, eh, which one of you is payin' for the rooms?"
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Volker, the strong, silent type

The elementalist had stood quietly at the side of the room throughout the discussion, mostly lost in thought. What part could Traban play in all of this... will he honor his part of the bargain... I wish I had paid more attention when he would visit father. Perhaps his daughter could still be found? Hmmm. It may be wise to stay with these folks now that we are all mixed up in this together...

He glances into the package with his name on it as Chandler makes his way out the door and a few of the others chat at a table.

Glancing over at Belle, he straightens and seems to come back to the present, giving her a flashy smile. "I'll join you in the morning. There may be some things I could look up as well."
    Moorhollow total d20 rolls: 8 (by #237)
    Natural 20's = 0, Natural 1's = 1

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll pay for the ladies." Marlek said tiredly. He placed the appropriate money and trudged upstairs as well.

Reaching his room, he physically blocks the door with a chair and covers any windows with any available furniture; he's not going to take any chances. Once he's satisfied with the room's security, he lies on the bed and falls into a deep sleep.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl11 View Post
    Volker, the strong, silent type

The elementalist had stood quietly at the side of the room throughout the discussion, mostly lost in thought. What part could Traban play in all of this... will he honor his part of the bargain... I wish I had paid more attention when he would visit father. Perhaps his daughter could still be found? Hmmm. It may be wise to stay with these folks now that we are all mixed up in this together...

He glances into the package with his name on it as Chandler makes his way out the door and a few of the others chat at a table.

Glancing over at Belle, he straightens and seems to come back to the present, giving her a flashy smile. "I'll join you in the morning. There may be some things I could look up as well."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your package contains 300 gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    "I'll pay for the ladies." Marlek said tiredly. He placed the appropriate money and trudged upstairs as well.

Reaching his room, he physically blocks the door with a chair and covers any windows with any available furniture; he's not going to take any chances. Once he's satisfied with the room's security, he lies on the bed and falls into a deep sleep.
    Dougan nods to you and takes Marlek's money.
    "Tank ye' very much, sirrah. Have a good rest."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Seeing everybody split up, Alaric leans back and sighs.

"Right then . . ."

He considers his options. On the one hand, he could potentially leave as the morning and get the dust of Waterdeep off of his boots before noon. There was no percentage in staying here. The job was done. There was no more to be done here.

And yet . . .

Deep down, Alaric is a glutton for the zealous thrust and leap of life's experiences. He'd known many, but to enter into combat with a group that named dragons for clients and could pay off an entire city guard . . .

"I'll be paying for my room, then" he says. Shortly after, he's shed his dirty clothes and flung himself into bed, there to sleep it all off like a bad hangover.
    Last edited by herodofcows; 2014-01-28 at 12:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Oris says he will pay for his room.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming everyone rests, let us continue.

As the sun rises, you all find a brief solace in the beds of your respective rooms, despite the uncomfortable beds. Around noon, each of you returns to consciousness.

8 of you return to consciousness in the inn.

As you gather in the barroom of the Free Arms, returning your keys to Dougan, the rest of you begin to notice something. Volker Stoneheart has dissapeared.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek stood still, surrounded by small, dirty faces that peered up at him. Each one was curious, expecting. Greyhand tossed him a small sack and smiled, walking away. Marlek opened the sack, and let the coins - hundreds of gold pieces - topple to the ground. The rewards from his latest assignment. There was a roar of laughter and delight as the street urchins immediately clamored for the money. They were happy, were cheering for both Marlek and The Gloved Fist as they greedily nabbed the coins. They were happy that they didn't have to hungry that night, and that made Marlek glad.

Marlek awoke groggily, the after images of the dream still clear and fresh. The emotions that came with it...it reminded him of something deep within him. And it clashed horribly with his survival instincts.

He was not able to sleep well at all. He was torn between simply fleeing and heading for Silverymoon before Greyhand could get a lock on him or helping stop this...Oblongata group. He could tell that it was up to something big, something horrible, but yet....but yet....

His eyes fell on pile of coins he received from Chandler, so similar to those in his dreams. "Just one more day..." he muttered to no one in particular.

When he went down to return the keys, he noticed that Volker wasn't there, but guessed that that repulsive man got up early to do whatever it is he did. He didn't really care much for that man.

"I'm off to do some research...and might do a little scouting. I'll be back here in a couple of hours." he briskly told the rest. He waits for a few seconds if anyone wants to come with him before disappearing out the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    First things first; he's going to look for the Make Whole ritual. If he can't find a free copy in any of the libraries, he tries to buy a scroll at the marketplace along with whatever necessary components and repairs the stack of papers.

I got a few ideas of what to do after that, but it depends on how long I take to do this first.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Marlek stood still, surrounded by small, dirty faces that peered up at him. Each one was curious, expecting. Greyhand tossed him a small sack and smiled, walking away. Marlek opened the sack, and let the coins - hundreds of gold pieces - topple to the ground. The rewards from his latest assignment. There was a roar of laughter and delight as the street urchins immediately clamored for the money. They were happy, were cheering for both Marlek and The Gloved Fist as they greedily nabbed the coins. They were happy that they didn't have to hungry that night, and that made Marlek glad.

Marlek awoke groggily, the after images of the dream still clear and fresh. The emotions that came with it...it reminded him of something deep within him. And it clashed horribly with his survival instincts.

He was not able to sleep well at all. He was torn between simply fleeing and heading for Silverymoon before Greyhand could get a lock on him or helping stop this...Oblongata group. He could tell that it was up to something big, something horrible, but yet....but yet....

His eyes fell on pile of coins he received from Chandler, so similar to those in his dreams. "Just one more day..." he muttered to no one in particular.

When he went down to return the keys, he noticed that Volker wasn't there, but guessed that that repulsive man got up early to do whatever it is he did. He didn't really care much for that man.

"I'm off to do some research...and might do a little scouting. I'll be back here in a couple of hours." he briskly told the rest. He waits for a few seconds if anyone wants to come with him before disappearing out the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    First things first; he's going to look for the Make Whole ritual. If he can't find a free copy in any of the libraries, he tries to buy a scroll at the marketplace along with whatever necessary components and repairs the stack of papers.

I got a few ideas of what to do after that, but it depends on how long I take to do this first.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To clarify, assuming you have to go to a library, do you want to go to the nearby Mermaid Library, or the upper-class Westcliffe Library that's all the way in the Trades District?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail comes down the stairs and tosses her key over to the barkeep (or where he was last night) and greets the group with a yawning, "Mornin' everymun. So whuff's the plan today?" Then she stretches and Mittens does so as well.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

The room was simple. It suited Belle. However, she found it hard to sleep. That ever-present smell of the city seemed to have seeped into the sheets somehow. She slept without them, curled up on the mattress, her memories filled with the scent of rotting straw and dankness.

She awoke with the sun high in the sky. Groggy, she slid out of bed, dressed, and combed her hair with her fingers before making her way downstairs. Seeing the rabbit thing there with her strange pet, Belle nodded. "The ... man? Oris and the other ones. The Vees. Victor and Volker. And the wind man. We were planning on doing some research today. I think." She fingered the slip of paper in her pocket.