New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Cattle Driving Necromancers-Bizarre Campaign Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Well yeah I get that much, but right now the way things are going is, "Nope, cant do that, nope, cant do that, nope, cant do that." And most of the time its followed by some big loss. Its one thing to try and keep the party from going way off the rails, its something else entirely to force them to spin their wheels and never get anywhere at all. Literally everything they have done since they got the goblin tribe under their control has been a miserable failure. Now kave says it will all have a purpose soon, and I believe him, im just pointing out that the nope train has been going for a long time now and its got to be getting frustrating for the players. Hell, its frustrating just to READ it.
    To be fair, they had a plethora of options on what to do next in front of them. The path they are on now starts with their attempt to constantly poke around places they are obviously not supposed to get in to (easily at least), and not thinking there would be ramification (lightmare) by testing systems...even though it announced complex protocol responses and at that point was noted as a giant illithid ark that would be advanced beyond their world. Though if I were in the shoes of the PCs, I'd be pretty pissed at this point...

Admittedly, I am a huge fan of these campaigns and think Kaveman can do no wrong -- so take my opinion with a grain of salt =P
    Last edited by Jonagel; 2015-10-16 at 11:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well yeah I get that much, but right now the way things are going is, "Nope, cant do that, nope, cant do that, nope, cant do that." And most of the time its followed by some big loss. Its one thing to try and keep the party from going way off the rails, its something else entirely to force them to spin their wheels and never get anywhere at all. Literally everything they have done since they got the goblin tribe under their control has been a miserable failure. Now kave says it will all have a purpose soon, and I believe him, im just pointing out that the nope train has been going for a long time now and its got to be getting frustrating for the players. Hell, its frustrating just to READ it.
    They had a few different things they could have done, but Kaveman had a great trap laying for what they were probably going to do. I didn't have a problem reading any of it, as he has shown he's too good of a DM to box his players in forever. I like that it has clearly shaken the confidence of the group and will probably affect how they problem solve going forward.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Mhm. The only bit that seemed over the line to me was not letting them back out of the whole vampire thing once they realized it was a bad idea. Everything else was more or less fair- though the Lightmare could be read as a little railroady.

Jaze in particular seems a lot more 'DM's gotten wise to the party's favoured tactics and how to counter them' than 'unfair' to me. They probably could've taken him if they'd stuck to the plan and attacked immediately, but instead they tried the 'let's make a deal' thing they've tried with everyone else, and got burned because he wasn't trustworthy.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Also keep in mind that this is a prison-type environment running on auto-pilot. The automated parts are going to seem "railroady" just due to the fact that they were designed for specific jobs.
    Last edited by Lord of Shadows; 2015-10-16 at 07:25 PM.
    "Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!"
    The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting Updated 15 Dec 2019
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"

5. - Top - End - #395
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gilphon View Post
    Mhm. The only bit that seemed over the line to me was not letting them back out of the whole vampire thing once they realized it was a bad idea. Everything else was more or less fair- though the Lightmare could be read as a little railroady.

Jaze in particular seems a lot more 'DM's gotten wise to the party's favoured tactics and how to counter them' than 'unfair' to me. They probably could've taken him if they'd stuck to the plan and attacked immediately, but instead they tried the 'let's make a deal' thing they've tried with everyone else, and got burned because he wasn't trustworthy.
    There was also the last part where jaze just happened to know how to use a security code to make it a Pyrrhic victory at best for the party because now they are still locked up and they didnt even get their vengeance on jaze. And once again, came within a whisker of losing two party members due to the doublecross. They still could have pulled off the plan had he not been able to basically activate some big security feature to no sell it. They had jaze trapped and unable to escape and he just went, "lol nope!" And now they are possibly in even more trouble as they are going to an interrogation in another isolation ward.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #396
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If the Expedition to Barrier Peaks mated with Undermountain and produced a baby that was summarily hit in the face with the Book of Vile Darkness, it would produce this campaign.

7. - Top - End - #397

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by kalasulmar View Post
    If the Expedition to Barrier Peaks mated with Undermountain and produced a baby that was summarily hit in the face with the Book of Vile Darkness, it would produce this campaign.
    Maybe with Tomb of Horrors as an Evil Uncle...
    "Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!"
    The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting Updated 15 Dec 2019
    From the Tears of Blood GiTP Forums 2004-09: "20 million dead. Whatcha gonna do with 20 million dead? You can’t bury ‘em, no time or energy to dig the graves. You could chuck ‘em somewhere out of the way. Or you could burn ‘em. But, but what if those things angered someone, or put a bad curse on 'em? Maybe gettin’ rid of ‘em is better. Just a thought. Hey, you could help us!"

8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Shadows View Post
    Maybe with Tomb of Horrors as an Evil Uncle...
    What about that damn crab for its first grade teacher? We mustn't forget its education.

Edit: I have forgotten my manners. Thank you kaveman for an enjoyable read.
    Last edited by Elandris Kajar; 2015-10-17 at 11:48 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Wouldn't a half-elf/half-orc be a Fork?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    And besides, it's a ludicrous way of breaking the game by twisting rules beyond all recognition. Kobolds have to be involved in there somewhere.

9. - Top - End - #399

BardGuy

Great Escape:

Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    In a flash the whole group finds themselves once again shackled to a wall inside a plain interrogation room. And for a third time they see the apparition of Ri-An appear and begin his rote mechanical process of dispositioning them. Before they get a chance to try and break his automated script he does manage to inform them that they have been upgraded to Level 4 for danger.

Hades: Well that was unexpectedly fortunate.

Ri-An: I am sure there is a tale filled with terror and glory, I however do not care to hear it. You will be pleased to know that the counter measure designated Lightmare has been dispersed and is no longer assigned to bring about your destruction.

Pluto: What happened to Jaze?

Ri-An: He has been relocated to an isolation holding area of an undisclosed location. I do not know where. He did leave you a message.

Seraphim: A message?

Ri-An: Yes he apparently was familiar with several very deep level procedures that surpass even my knowledge of the prison wing.

Azzie: Well bollocks…the sod wasn’t bluffin.

A scroll appears on a small table and Ri-An unshackles their bindings allowing them freedom. Seraphim picks up the scroll and can’t make heads of tails of it.

Seraphim: I have no idea what language this is even written in.

Doc: Me neither. It’s all gibberish.

Hades and Pluto look it over together and both shake their heads. No clue.

Azzie picks it up and scratches his head a bit.

Azzie: It’s music I fink. But he took the notes and spelled them phonetically.

Azzie unstraps his guitar and begins to strum out the notes written on the paper. As he plays the notes translate themselves into actual words.

Jaze: The Illithid are rubbish when it comes to music. Too abstract for them to bother with. Good to know for the future. I was dead serious about not wanting to stare over my shoulder for the rest of my life. I took a shot at taking you out and I missed. That’s on me. Had to rat myself out and force isolation, better than being incinerated. Well Played. I feel like I owe you a slight boon and I am confident the measure of good will can pay dividends allowing past transgression to fade away. If you want into the restricted cage of the library use the following:

Whisky Whisky Whisky Hotel

That let’s you in and out. It’s on a five minute timer so move in and out quick don’t take too long. You can only use that call sign once per week. I would highly encourage you to vacate this place as quickly as possible when the doors open next. The Enclave is not to be trifled with, nor I do think six thousand years has altered their objectives. Time erodes all, but if there is a creature able to cheat time I am sure it looks like them.

Doc: He sure makes it tempting to test out that access code.

Armed with the ability to bypass the library’s security and with the framework of a plan in place for how they intend to escape the holding areas and they set out with a renewed purpose. Seraphim is able to jump to the still waiting skeletal dragon and unlock the physical key. Azzie unlocks the mental tumbler and then they wait for the guard captain to pass by. Seraphim and Doc both target the captain with Evil Eye and Misfortune and do their best to rig the game in their favor. Hades rolls a 19 which is enough for him to wrest temporary control of the guard captain who is compelled to unlock the door.

Not wanting to press their luck they immediately release him once the key is turned and they find themselves one again free. In total three days have passed since their initial seclusion within the prison wing. Split between wanting to return to the vault room and wanting to test the theory library access code they elect to test the theory library access. Seraphim utilizes her skeletal dragon body hopping to be the one who attempts to pop the lock on the restricted library. The call sign works and the door opens freely and allows her entry. She makes a quick scan of the book titles and nearly twists herself our her chair with excitement. Speechless at the table she scoops up a handful of books as she continues to scan and begins piling them in her arms. A moment later she begins tossing out piles of books into the open space just outside. She leaves with about a minute left on the timer and they gather up their tomes and make a hasty retreat away from the cage. Genuine surprise sets in when nothing horrific occurs.

They acquire the following books:

Craft Wonderous Items: A primer’s guide
    Craft Wands: More than just a Stick
    Forge Rings: If you Like it Then You Should Have Put a ….
    Blood Ties: A Beginner’s Guide to Vampirism. *
    99 Problems but a Lich Ain’t One. *
    Running With the Devil *
    The Demon’s Aren’t Just in My Head*
    Magical Arms: A Call to Arms
    Magical Armor: Better Wear Protection
    Blood and Fire: The Idiot’s Manual for Specialized Undead.
    Golem Golem Golem: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Golems but Were Afraid to Ask
    Long Shadows*
    The Complete Guide To Rings of Protection
    The Complete Guide to Amulets of Natural Armor
    The Complete Guide to Bracers of Armor
    (This was a three book set)

The books marked with an asterisk bear a disclaimer. They are meant to “tie” to their reader. Once you have tied yourself to a marked book you may not read or access another marked book. Each of the marked books has a helpful forward to identify their purpose.

After a great deal of blustering and panicked jubilance they settle down and begin a thorough examination of each book. The marked tomes are step by step instructions on how to undergo a specific transformation or evolution. They are basically Template Acquisition made easy. How easy depends on if one is willing to actually bind themselves to that volume.

Most are quite straightforward. Golem Golem Golem allows for Craft Construct. The Complete Guide to’s are similar to golem manuals, they are all in one “easy bake” one shot magical item creation boosters.

Seraphim: So if I am gathering this correctly we have the ability to commit ourselves to a template. We have Vampire, Lich, Infernal, Abyssal, and Shadow Lord so far. I am guessing Half Dragon and Giant are also a possibility that I didn’t grab. We can also train someone or everyone in some crafting feats.

Me: Yes. The Crafting feats are acquired much like a stat book, but they function as an untyped bonus feat.

Hades: Just how involved will these template guides be?

Me: Read and Find Out.

The twins are both chomping at the bit at prospect of lichdom. Seraphim is virtually a lock to murder anyone that attempts to get between her and the vampirism trainer. The other’s are less enthused at their potential templates. The chance of something else being inside is worth a week’s wait for them. IN the end Hades and Pluto flip a coin with Pluto winning the chance to bind himself to the lich volume. No one objects to Seraphim and the codex she is cradling like a newborn babe.

Doc: So…just to be clear before you guys open these things I want one thing set in stone. IF these guides require a sacrifice or for you to kill another party member you are preemptively volunteering to be euthanized. Fair enough? If someone has to die amongst our party for you to transition, then you the reader are the one that has to go. Can we agree on that?

The party votes unanimously on this pact.

Pluto: I think we should hold off for a day or two before cracking them open too. Give us time to recover spells and figure out what happened in the time we have been gone.

Seraphim: OK…I can wait a day or two. We can use the crystal ball to survey everything above us. Should give us a warning if someone is waiting to ambush us.

The crystal ball scrying reveals a startling change to the previous status quo. The NPC’s under Fritz are gone as are the Frost Giants under Ackshale. No sign of the two factions is visibile or audible from the crystalline ball.

A little perturbed and leery then search from within the library for a full day and a half seeking out their wayward allies. No sign is overturned. They reluctantly give up their search and make their way back to the vault room to pop the seal on their entombed dragons.

As I alluded to earlier, they pop open the main vault to find Icy and Onyx dead. The black dragon piled up the full array of treasure and melted it into a pile of slag using his acid breath.

Pluto: That’s annoying, but still two more dragon skeletons to use. And a lot of the little vaults on the higher walls are still unopened. No need to share any of that anymore.

Seraphim: Right…let’s get down to some serious reading then.

And as for the education of the dungeon...

Drill Sgt Tucker got it through boot camp
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #400

Well damn, thats fascinating as hell. At this point I see two options. Both with a variety of opportunities. They could easily take the money and run. They just looted some stuff that would basically create a massive epilogue of fame and fortune iirc. Didnt this world lose the ability to craft all that crap? They are now holding the only known tomes that would teach the world these skills. (Yeah it could also trigger wars to try and claim the knowledge for other powers out there)

On the other hand, they now have the chance to ultra buff themselves. Not just with template stacking, but with crafting some really nice and varied gear. If they can create a truly secure place to hang out and study and craft, they can pass the week that way, then go back in and sprint strip mine the library again. God only knows what they could end up with.

On the other OTHER hand, there is still the mysterious danger of the beholder dragon and its random triggers, and hanging out too long could get bad. I think I recall you mentioning it gets let loose when the place gets too crowded. And with a frost giant army, an angry red dragon, and lord knows how many horked off adventurers outside waiting to sprint in, well, it could happen at any time. The longer they stay, the greater the danger grows.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #401
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ugh...the missing NPCs are going to be were-wolfed to balance the LA from the templates aren't they?

Edit: not complaining about the story this time. I just figure it's the next step towards flicking the next latch off the hell-basket.
    Last edited by CrispyCriminal; 2015-10-18 at 12:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Bugbear in the Playground

...A bunch of free templates and feats? And people were complaining about "bad DMing." I'd say the suffering was more then worth the payoff... Although... I have to wonder what Dis Pater's player is up too. We should be seeing his new character soon, right? I'm really liking Jaze as a character - he knows how to play the game and he plays it well.

I wonder what other templates are in there. The five that the UC grabbed are all heavily evil aligned - is that because they were looking for stuff like that among many, or did you choose templates they might want?

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

This whole time, what is Dis Pater's player doing? I'm not sure how long your sessions are, but it does seem plausible that all of this (from Dis Pater's neck-snapping to looting the library) could conceivably take place over the course of two sessions, or even one long one. Just asking because it seems that a lot is happening quickly, and the player of Dis Pater must be itching also get get in on the tome action.

14. - Top - End - #404

BardGuy

Didnt this world lose the ability to craft all that crap? They are now holding the only known tomes that would teach the world these skills. (Yeah it could also trigger wars to try and claim the knowledge for other powers out there)
    Yes the world has lost the ability to create or craft magic items. For lack of a better description the Illithid “culled” this knowledge as a potential threat. The library being breached has basically reopened that Pandora’s box.

Ugh...the missing NPCs are going to be were-wolfed to balance the LA from the templates aren't they?
    Possibly. There is a lot else that can happen.

This whole time, what is Dis Pater's player doing? I'm not sure how long your sessions are, but it does seem plausible that all of this (from Dis Pater's neck-snapping to looting the library) could conceivably take place over the course of two sessions, or even one long one. Just asking because it seems that a lot is happening quickly, and the player of Dis Pater must be itching also get get in on the tome action.
    I will give this as a spoiler: Not story impacting but definitely meta-game impacting.

Show
    Dis Pater had to put in some overtime over the next week beyond that session. We discreetly discussed his potential sacrifice as a cover for his being absent. I figured with him being out for a week I could kill two birds with one stone by killing one PC with one vampire. He spent the next weekend gone while building a new character. Some other twists may also transpire.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #405

BardGuy

Dissertations on Accumulating Power:

Show
    Blood Ties:

It is our assertion that the specimen which has locally been identified as Vampire is actually a subspecies of undead that draws mystical and divine nourishment from the consumption of living blood. These creatures demonstrate extraordinary recuperative powers, extending to and including the ability to take form of a gaseous cloud through which they can retreat to a predesignated recepetacle where regeneration can transpire. Shapechanging capability along with energy drain properties extend to the augmented form which does show weakness to running bodies of water, direct light from a yellow star, and an aversion to local flora designated “garlic”

The sub-species possesses a reproductive drive that allows for further creation of thralls or drone subordinates. It is our recommendation that specimens of this identification be cleansed from the world at large to prevent any potential parasitic epidemic. Specimens of remarkable ability or substantial threat level shall be quarantined for further observation and study.

Of Note:

We have isolated the means through which a vampiric transformation may take place through host of a living humanoid subject. The transformation process encompasses multiple steps and from our testing requires a full lunar cycle. Further research recommended to augment and perfect transformation process.

Warning:

Further consumption of this guide will bind the research material to subject inquiring. Stop if you do not wish to personally undertake the exciting and fascinating journey towards undeath and eternal slavery to the nocturnal realm.

99 Problems:

Research into these creatures has proven troublesome. The specimens we have located have provided highly resistant to observation and enclosure. Many subjects have been eradicated in an attempt to find placateable inhabitants. These once living humanoids now referred to as liches are remarkably stubborn and persist their mentality in a shell of their once mortal selves. Several specimens have grown so apathic towards their continued existence that their physical form has disintegrated away leaving only the skull. Mental and Cognitive limitations are lifted upon the transition to this particular form of undeath. Mystical and Divine augmentations allow for energy drain and paralytic touch ability. The great majority of subjects observed originated from both arcane and divine origins, with their mortal lives focused on the acquisition of spell power and knowledge. We are sympathetic towards their very similar goals to our own. Suggest quarantine and further observation. Imperative that we cull knowledge of ascended transformation that retains mental ability. Desigination demi-lich is considered a grave threat. Pardon our symantic pun.

Of Note:

The core mechanism in place to achieve transitory lich state revolves around the creation of a soulbound item or phylactery. The essence of consciousness is housed in this phylactery creating a safeguard akin to a vampire’s coffin. We have isolated the procedures intrinsically essential to this storage and are placing the guidelines to follow.

Warning:

Continued examination of this document and it’s contents will bind the rituals and costs of this augmentation to the person in possession of this Necronomicon. The evolutionary ritual will require 90 days of time along with the acquisition of three vital accessories.

Running With the Devils:

Our dealings with the adjacent Plane to this Material Plane have been a breath of fresh air. They are highly intelligent and organized with a sheer focus on increasing their domain’s power and influence. Fiercely obedient to their masters and master negotiators. It required us to reach our inner most cunning to match these “Devils”. Their race is permanently at war with their antithesis the Demon. The never ending strife between the two preserves the Material Plane uninetentionally as the settling of their differences would cause it’s rapid and nearly immediate annihilation. In accord with our Parley we acquired a specimen called Harang. A Pit Fiend of ancient bearing. He agreed to volunteer himself for study in exchange for the return of an artifact we located and the donation of 100 mortal souls. We have consulted him several times to gain insight on the developments uncovered through our research into the Underdark.

Of Note:
    In exchange for the return of their lost artifact we were gifted an alter that facilitates transference of Fiendish property to the bearer.

Warning:

Side Effects may occur. There is also a one in ten chance of a flaw for the procedure.

Cliff Notes Version for the rest:

Demon’s: Similar to the Devil’s alter the demonic book will apply Half-Fiend template with more of a demonic flavor. 1-10 chance of slight mistakes or problems.

Long Shadows: Applies Shadow Lord template. Requires 30 days and several rare ingredients to activate.

The warnings and time frames give them slight pause and prevent everyone from going all NeverEnding Story on their books. Seraphim is still dead set on the Vampirism path and Pluto is not exactly being deterred by the lich warnings. Azzie is getting slightly more intrigued by Shadow Lord and Doc is pondering Half-Fiend.

Seraphim: You do realize that once I cross over I can also bring everyone else along as a vampire as well.

Doc: Well for one thing, I don’t trust you to provide free will back to us. For a second thing we don’t want to put all our eggs in one basket. Thirdly, you are basically locking yourself into this place until your death or the death of the world.

Seraphim: How do you figure the third?

Doc: The door opens at noon. When the Sun is at it’s brightest. Makes it kind of hard to leave here without opening yourself to the biggest vulnerability you have.

Seraphim: I hadn’t really thought about that.

Doc: Also feeling a little nervous that you haven’t even bothered to contradict my concern over the free will.

Seraphim: We will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Azzie: Unless there is water running under that bridge then you aren’t crossing anyfing. HA-HA

Ultimately they decide to set up shop in the goblin controlled library with the crystal ball. They will give it a week for Seraphim to explore her book while they scry above and based on her progress Pluto will trigger his book once they re-enter the library. For that week they will also lay out a game plan for utilizing the crafting feats.

Wealth has mostly been a fleeting thing and I in essence tell that they have cart blanche to operate within crafting rules to bring themselves to their recommended WBL quota. *

We come to that's week completion at this point and I tell everyone they have reached level 9 for the following week's beginning. I also preempt them in saying that they can measure feats and item creation off level 9 instead of level 8. When I get pressed on Dis Pater I let them know he will be along in some form the following week.

*Much of their treasure has been melted, stolen, tithed, or downright extorted and this is where they get a big jump up in overall power by finally coming in line.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406

Hmm, interesting. It sounds to me like the template stacking events are going to be long term projects. 1-3 months depending, and more terrifying, the demon/devil templates warn there is a chance of "flaws" occurring. No idea what that could be, but the dm is a sick and twisted individual, im sure he has plenty of ideas. The downsides and difficulties are also being made apparent which is interesting. The shadow lord template requires rare ingredients, no clue on if they will even be able to find them, which would really suck to be bound to the book and have no way of completing it this adventure. And of course the vamp build has those nasty downsides, and some potential cracks in team unity with seraphim not exactly jumping to deny the thought of bringing them back enslaved.

If I were to go about doing this I think that I would scry for a safe place to hole up and hide/reinforce the entrance in such a way that its likely we could survive the month or three working on the various transformations. Perhaps if they can remain hidden, the various factions out for their blood will think they died or escaped somehow and give them some breathing room. Combine that with whatever these now level 9 players can craft for themselves, and they will get the chance to slam out some nasty power levels by the time they are done.

Hmm, that reminds me. What is entailed by this process? I mean, will seraph be able to continue adventuring while working on becoming a vamp? Or will she be stuck for a month in game inside her coffin or whatever and thus be vulnerable, along with the others who do their own stack?

17. - Top - End - #407
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, that reminds me. What is entailed by this process? I mean, will seraph be able to continue adventuring while working on becoming a vamp? Or will she be stuck for a month in game inside her coffin or whatever and thus be vulnerable, along with the others who do their own stack?
    I know a lich can continue to do whatever while pursuing his goal. But for vampires, that's a good question. Not often that the vampire comes before the thrall in the circle.

18. - Top - End - #408

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCriminal View Post
    I know a lich can continue to do whatever while pursuing his goal. But for vampires, that's a good question. Not often that the vampire comes before the thrall in the circle.
    Here is another odd question. Lets say she becomes a vamp, takes one of the party members as a thrall, then orders them to undergo the lich process. Wtf happens then?! Does she get a thrall lich under her control? Or for that matter, she doesnt enslave them and they decide to go lich after all. What happens to their bonuses and such? Because I have to admit, I just read up on the vampire feats and such and thats scary scary, an extra 5 armor, heal 5 hp per round so long as you arent at 0, all that negative level causing during a fight, bonus attacks, etc etc etc. Would that stack with the lich bonuses? Because a vampiric lich would be freaking terrifying with a lot of synergies in its abilities. Or is this the stage where a dm hurls a book at his players and tells him to watch out for falling rocks?

19. - Top - End - #409

BardGuy

Here is another odd question. Lets say she becomes a vamp, takes one of the party members as a thrall, then orders them to undergo the lich process. Wtf happens then?! Does she get a thrall lich under her control? Or for that matter, she doesnt enslave them and they decide to go lich after all. What happens to their bonuses and such? Because I have to admit, I just read up on the vampire feats and such and thats scary scary, an extra 5 armor, heal 5 hp per round so long as you arent at 0, all that negative level causing during a fight, bonus attacks, etc etc etc. Would that stack with the lich bonuses? Because a vampiric lich would be freaking terrifying with a lot of synergies in its abilities. Or is this the stage where a dm hurls a book at his players and tells him to watch out for falling rocks?
    Vampire by the rules does not stack with lich. So you can't be both without major DM fiat. Combining both would probably drive a sane person mad and result in falling rocks.

Thralldom and controlling intelligent undead like liches requires daily checks. So complications arise from maintaining slaves.

As to whether she could force someone to use a book...we will see
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Question for Kaveman --

Do the books bind to your soul, or your body? Could Seraphim jump to a skeletal dragon, and give it a half fiend template, then jump back to get vampire template self?

21. - Top - End - #411

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jonagel View Post
    Question for Kaveman --

Do the books bind to your soul, or your body? Could Seraphim jump to a skeletal dragon, and give it a half fiend template, then jump back to get vampire template self?
    I had built them to bind to the soul. So no body jumping to double templates is split templates to undead minions,
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #412

BardGuy

The Fangs Come Out.

Show
    Seraphim, and both twins select Greater Spell Focus Necromancy for their 9th level feats. Doc takes Vital Strike, and Azzie takes leadership. Sera takes Cloudkill and Feeblemind as spells. Doc takes Enervation and Crushing Despair. Craft Wonderous items goes to Hades, Craft Wands to Seraphim, Craft Arms to Doc, Craft Armor to Pluto, and they stockpile Forge Ring.

With levels processed their next order of business is to have Seraphim crack open the book and see just what is entailed.

Directions:

Duration: A full lunar cycle (28 days)

Materials: A fully crafted coffin. Blood of a quantity sufficient to fully immerse the recipient.. A potion of Eternal Unrest.

Procedure:

The first step of the process involves the creation of a coffin. The coffin may be of any material so as long as it is airtight and watertight.

Upon creation of the coffin the prospective vampire must fill the coffin to it’s capacity with blood recovered from a creature/creatures who have died within the previous 24 hours. The occupant must then spend one entire night within the coffin submerged in the blood. This will bind the creature’s soul, body, and blood to their eventual eternal resting place.

The blood is then to used as “stock” for a potion that must be brewed and consumed. The potion must simmer for 2 full hours with the following ingredients.

A wolf’s tail
    A bat’s wing
    A rat’s whiskers
    A vial of the caster’s own blood

Once brewed this potion is to be consumed. Consumption will lead to chronic insomnia, headache, fatigue, nausea, a burning sensation in the throat and light sensitivity. On the 28th day of the cycle the caster must once again immerse themselves within the coffin and be sealed within. The coffin must remain sealed for 24 hours. If interrupted the process fails and the subject will die. Immersion and sealing within the coffin will cause death. If the steps have been followed correctly then the user will arise a vampire.

Seraphim: Well blood shouldn’t be too hard to locate. Not entirely sure how we will craft the coffin itself but that seems feasible. Potion ingredients…any ideas?

Hades: We killed dire rats from what seems like ages ago on level 1. Should be able to scrounge whiskers from there.

Pluto: Reasonably sure there were wolves within the animal section and gallery. Figure there is a good chance of bats there too. Think we can find those.

Doc: This does mean that we need to keep you locked in your own coffin for at least one full day. And from the description of the potion’s side effects you are going to be severely limited for at least three and a half weeks.

Seraphim: So, group vote. Do we go all in on this?

Doc: It isn’t asking for any of us to take the plunge so sure.

Hades: Aye
    Pluto: Aye
    Azzie: Hell yeah.

They set about scavenging treasure chests and other leftovers from their vault excursions and put together a not exactly pretty but tight coffin.

Seraphim: Kind of bummed we have been so effective…not much left to kill around here. Got to find the blood from somewhere. I mean we do have the Goblins…

Doc: Nope. Not going to happen. You are not draining my tribe for your own blood bath.

Seraphim: It will be a great team building exercise…everyone pitches a pint or so and no one really gets hurt. Go a long way towards tribal unity.

Doc: Nope.

Seraphim: Fine. I guess we hopefully find something else to slit open when we go hunt down the wolf tail and bat wing.

The U.C. easily reach the animal wing a small sample of scrounging allows them to locate the required potion ingredients. They all happen upon a few stragglers in the way of animals that they happily “almost” kill. The unconscious and hapless lion and pair of hyenas they stumble upon are bound and returned to the library. They went cautious not knowing how much blood they would really get from each animal.

They return with the potion ingredients to the library wing and decide to start beefing up security. With the giants, npcs, and were-dwarves all MIA they are growing more concerned with ambush. They can survey the upper two levels quite effectively, but intelligence on the lower levels is non existent. They elect to set up “guards” at each of the research wings, and at the gate from Moo-Dor to the lower levels. A secondary large concern for them is Lau-Rain getting free from the prison wing. With an undead stationed at the entrance they feel a bit safer in at least having some early detection if he should escape. Lack of undead is just as frustrating as lack of living. They have a total of three dragons all animated, and soon to be a lion and pair of hyenas, which gives them six total minions. They really want closer to 9 for a security minimum. One for each six section of the research wing, a sentry at Moo-Dor, and one redundant guard for the entrance into the library and a sentry for the restricted wing deep in the bottom level.

Hades: Bottom line we need either a mass kill, or we need to really branch out further for more bodies, not just for the vampire ritual but for our own protection and synergy. I kind of wish something would try to ambush us cause we are awfully light on disposable mooks.

Pluto: Not much to be done about it. If we spot something from the crystal ball we can move on it and capitalize on it.

Seraphim: Or…we help reduce the goblin overpopulation, you know preserve resources and prevent mass starvation.

All: You aren’t killing the goblins.

Seraphim: At least consider it is all I am saying.

Doc: Uh guys…I got something on the Dungeon-Cam.

Azzie: Is it female?

Seraphim: Does it bleed?

Doc: I am not sure what it is. But I think it is very clearly sending us a message.

Everyone crowds around the crystal ball as they watch a small group of dead dwarves being hung from the ceiling near the Moo-Dor Entrance. They have all been skinned and their hands and feet are missing. Whatever is “hanging” them up is virtually invisible and either operating at great speed or under some kind of displacement. They struggle to identify the number of individuals. One of the corpses has a sign pinned on it, and a second corpse is branded with a hot iron.

Once the display is finished and those responsible leave , the group mobilizes to view everything in person. The sign is written in common and bears a single message.

“Return us our Dog”

The brand is seared into the dwarf’s flesh the smell of burning meat is still in the air. The brand is a skull swallowing a horse.

Seraphim: Pretty sure that is aimed right at us. Let’s cut them down and reanimate them.

As Doc goes to cut the first one down a sudden HOWL Of agony issues forth from all six dwarves…as they shriek at the top of their lungs…

Turns out they weren’t quite dead.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Halfling in the Playground

Things are getting grim! Its like a D&D house of horrors that the PC's have created! As much as I like the unity these evil PC's are playing (which is downright fantastic btw), they seem to have turned a majority of the dungeon into a house of horrors and backstabbed everyone they have met and offed any kind of support they could have had at this junction. With so few options left to them it seems like time is running out for them. Cant wait for more!

24. - Top - End - #414

Man seraph has issues! Its like she is obsessed with ruining the one and only decent set of "allies" they have. Like Iron said, they have backstabbed, been backstabbed by, and killed every other faction in the dungeon they have seen so far. Maybe take a break from your desire to piss off everyone. Honestly, im starting to lose my trust in her. I wonder how long after she wakes up a vamp the group will be able to rely on her. This is what she WANTS, so after she gets it, where is her drive to play happy team mates? If the other power up routes also have "Stay put or else death" steps to them, that could get nerve wracking.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Agreed. Sera's starting too look more and more backstabby. Which is kind of impressive given that she was always the most backstabby party member.

Hmm. Y'know, I'm getting the sense that she kind of has issues with authority- she plays nice with the rest of the party because they let her be in charge, but she's always quick to backstab any NPCs with a significant number of minions. So then when Doc turns against her wishes and gets a bunch of Goblin minions out of it, that sets her off in two different ways. Things could go very badly for the rest of them after she vamps.

Though I don't think she'd turn them all into thralls- that would trap them all in the dungeon. She might bite Hades to make sure Pluto stays in line, though.

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by Gilphon View Post
    Agreed. Sera's starting too look more and more backstabby. Which is kind of impressive given that she was always the most backstabby party member.

Hmm. Y'know, I'm getting the sense that she kind of has issues with authority- she plays nice with the rest of the party because they let her be in charge, but she's always quick to backstab any NPCs with a significant number of minions. So then when Doc turns against her wishes and gets a bunch of Goblin minions out of it, that sets her off in two different ways. Things could go very badly for the rest of them after she vamps.

Though I don't think she'd turn them all into thralls- that would trap them all in the dungeon. She might bite Hades to make sure Pluto stays in line, though.
    Well there is always the durkula solution. Now that they can craft magic items, some sort of shadow shield device should be possible, right?

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Am I the only one who can see the others playing along until Seraphim enters her coffin, then disrupt the ritual and kill her? At worst, they'd have to fight a few undead before getting to her.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #418

I am amused by Azzie's and Seraphim's immediate reactions to something going on on the crystal ball. Worrying about the important things.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well there is always the durkula solution. Now that they can craft magic items, some sort of shadow shield device should be possible, right?
    Pathfinder does indead have a spell called Protective Penumbra that does just this. Casting it repeadetly or making a permanent item of it shouldn't be a problem. I do hate that this spell exists, because I can't imagine why any vampire worth their salt wouldn't have access to it, but its there.
    Last edited by Axinian; 2015-10-20 at 12:09 PM.
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Am I the only one who can see the others playing along until Seraphim enters her coffin, then disrupt the ritual and kill her? At worst, they'd have to fight a few undead before getting to her.
    Based on her comments and attitude, this would be my stance were I in this party with her. I wonder if the others know that though, after all Kaveman is presenting us with that information but it may be Seraphim read it herself and kept it to herself so they may just think it's mess up the ritual but not necessarily kill her.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin