Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Cattle Driving Necromancers-Bizarre Campaign Journal

Session 3 Continued:

Spoiler
    Show
    Pluto is very curious as to what his Knowledge check may portent and while we dissuade table talk to a large extent it still happens. For this given circumstance if he shares his thoughts out loud I tell him it will be in character and have to be loud enough for everyone in the room to hear. I get the following scribbled note back:

“Not sharing it with anyone right now. Holding it to myself.”

Aye Aye…

The majority of the action is centered on the biggest mass of PC’s and they utilize their abilities to basically defend the center and protect the NPC’s. Narratively speaking not much happens.

Dis Pater successfully manages to engage in 1 on 1 combat with the Grig chief and he proceeds to get his spurs handed to him. If the Grig was water he couldn’t hit him if he fell out of a boat. The Chief for his part is landing shot after shot from the back of his stirge.

After a few rounds the Stirges all pull back to watch their Chief dismantle Dis Pater and his peers are equally amused by the proceedings.

Reggie: Aren’t you going to help him?
    Seraphim: Haven’t you been paying attention? He is not the type that wants “help. He would rather die than have us intervene in a fair fight.
    Dis Pater: Actually wouldn’t mind that much…there are dozens of them.
    Chomper: Not really…they are hanging back to watch what happens too.

The Stirge has a hefty strength bonus despite his tiny stature, but Dis Pater is sturdy and as the dice begin to level out he stages a Rocky-esque comeback. As the room’s attention is heavily focused on the “honor” duel Pluto discreetly informs me that he is whispering in the Canticle cleric’s ear “I know you are not what you appear to be. Turn on your comrades when I bid you or I will expose you to all”
    That simple statement is enough for the cleric to give a start but nothing that draws attention away from the duel.

Dis Pater is really starting to get the upper hand when alarmingly loud hoofbeats and what seems to be the sound of a bull grunting ring out.

Seraphim: Our cattle doesn’t sound like that…and we didn’t give them metal shoes did we?
    Chomper: That aint our cows and no they are not metal shod.

The grigs seem much more aware of what the sound portends and it is every mosquito mounted fairy for themselves as they all peel out through nooks and hidey holes strewn throughout the room. The chieftain happily tucks himself in and lets a swing land center to take advantage of the added momentum. The Canticle and Necro-Ranchers all huddle up from a sense of shared protection and the twins heal off Dis Pater.

Their holding pattern is abandoned when they begin to hear the slaughter of their livestock from outside the room. Dis Pater and Skalagrim rush out as the casters and Chomper trail behind. Pluto is practically attached to his would be double agent’s hip.

As they breach the hallway they see a cadre of “enhanced” minotaurs rending their livestock and slashing down the remaining horses. One of the minotaurs seem to be covered in an iron skin, a second is literally dripping venom from his horns and claws. A third is literally cooking the cattle with blasts of fire.

Skalagrim: The bulls are eating our cows!
    Chomper: I’ll be damned…figured we would be the only cannibals for at least a few more weeks.

(Small side confession…given their relative ease in progression so far I ramped up the minotaurs perhaps a bit more than I should have)

The hobogoblin and najanti throw themselves at the iron bodied minotaur and are about as effective as a Kleenex plugging a hole in a dam. The entire group gets their asses handed to them in convincing fashion and are forced to retreat as their herd is dismembered and floated away. Nothing like psionic telekinesis to transport BBQ.

Seraphim: We just got cattle rustled by minotaurs…
    Canticle Paladin: You drove a herd of cattle and horses into a dungeon?
    Canticle Bard: They also are apparently using skeletons of said herd as mounts.

As things are now calming the two groups are inching further and further apart in a patient and polite “we are probably going to start killing each other any minute now” fashion.

Seraphim: I think that a preemptive truce and parley are in order…

The cavalier draws forth a longsword and hefts his shield.

Seraphim: Please?

Sorry for it being a short update. Will try to get a full section up by weekend.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yay! Kaveman's back!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

How the hell have I passed over this for months?!

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    How the hell have I passed over this for months?!
    Because it's been on and off the first page?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

KAVEMAN'S BACK!!!!

Originally Posted by Kaveman26
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seraphim: Haven’t you been paying attention? He is not the type that wants “help. He would rather die than have us intervene in a fair fight.
    Dis Pater: Actually wouldn’t mind that much…there are dozens of them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whether you guys planned it or not, this is straight out of Firefly:

Zoe: This is something the Captain has to do on his own.
    Mal: No he doesn't!!

Spoiler
    Show
    As things are now calming the two groups are inching further and further apart in a patient and polite “we are probably going to start killing each other any minute now” fashion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This and Seraphim's "Please?" hilarously rounded out the all-too-brief experience. I just laughed more than I have in days.

Is there more? You must give us more.

...and while we dissuade table talk to a large extent it still happens.
    What do you mean by table talk?

6. - Top - End - #96

BardGuy

Table talk for us is two different things. It is using information the player has knowledge of but not the character. I.e. "hey guys the doppleganger we have been tracking caught me...so its not really me". That would be a blatant example.

Or it spending ten minutes to discuss actions and coordinate attacks mid combat. A few seconds is fine. Blueprints and extensive flow charting mid flow is not allowed.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Keep up the good work, Kaveman.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Next episode pretty please?
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post
    Next episode pretty please?
    With a cherry on top?
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

And maybe some sprinkles??

(Sorry for the false positive to all those people who have subscribed to this thread!)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

I feel it goes without saying, but I'm following intently.

In gratitude for this campaign journal, I offer this praise: my primary goal on the playground is to make my campaign journal as great as any of Kaveman's.
    My name is Sean. You may call me what you want.

Designated Pizza Orderer of the Redcloak Fan Club

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

It's been three months since the last campaign update, and that was only a partial. I fear the worst.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    It's been three months since the last campaign update, and that was only a partial. I fear the worst.

He's dead?
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

14. - Top - End - #104

BardGuy

I'm defiantly still alive. Current priorities involve helping my wife with our newborn baby girl (she is almost six weeks old). So as much as I would love to update the remainder of what we finished I am on an indefinite hiatus right now. Got about nine long game days completed that would need to be written up. No eta on when that may happen yet.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Congratulations!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like your life is a good kind of madness these days. Certainly that comes first.

But however long it takes, your fanbase will be here.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Congrats!

Things started getting back to close to normal around the 4 month point for us (currently at 4.5 mo).

18. - Top - End - #108

Congrats and thanks for the update. Also thanks for reminding me I haven't finished Adversarial Process.

19. - Top - End - #109

Any update on when you might be able to resume this recap?

Lego Ergo Sum

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well he's just had a baby, so it'll be when she isn't taking up all his free time.

So that'll be in about 18 years when she goes off to college in my experience.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Congratulations Kaveman! Looking forward to seeing this update again.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Great Pelor's knuckles, you could get over-powered in 3.5 (or PF, I didn't check which it was.)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by geeky_monkey View Post
    Well he's just had a baby, so it'll be when she isn't taking up all his free time.

So that'll be in about 18 years when she goes off to college in my experience.
    I do have to wonder how long we may be waiting. This isn't a complaint, but I could see this being pushed to the wayside for a year, easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    ... "Mississippi." No one knows the origin of this strange term, but it appears written on the edges of a hexagon, two letters per side, with the last side left with only one letter. Some suspect it's Yuan-ti in origin, though the Yuan-ti have repeatedly denied it. Counting to six and uttering the word after each number will give a fairly accurate measure of the time it takes to cast a spell. Because the chanter has gone all the way around the hexagon, this interval is known as a "round."

24. - Top - End - #114

Zombie

Well, I hope this gets updated soon, having just finished it. It's been a blast to read. Awesome group dynamic there too.

edit

in danger of necro-ing this thing, I know. Others should know of it though.
    Last edited by blacklight101; 2015-01-02 at 02:02 PM.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Necro was received well in my case. That was a fun read! Hope we get to see continuations of it soon.

26. - Top - End - #116

BardGuy

Saw this got updated and back to the front page and realized it had been over a year since I had posted. Tried to wrangle some free time and break in my typing hands again. In truth I have missed writing these and recapping. Spare time is still at a minimum, but with holiday season in retail complete I figured I would try to get something up once or twice a week. Happy New Year all!

Session 3 Completed

Spoiler
    Show
    Brief Recap:

When I last left off recapping this campaign the PC’s were set to clash against a rival NPC party. Neither side was in much shape to fight as they had both just been in involved in hefty skirmishes against barbarian grigs and psionic minotaurs. Both sides had expended considerable resources and for sake of clarity I want to highlight a couple points.

Undead Minions: At this point Seraphim had her skeletal unicorn (Snowflake) but all other undead minions were currently destroyed. The dhampir clerics did have 8HD a piece tied up in skeletal gnolls they had left with the gnoll chieftain Rusk.

Other minions: Chomper has his Spinosaur, Skalagrim his anklosaur.

Seraphim is doing her best to let cooler heads prevail and prevent further violence (at least til it’s more suited to their purposes) but reason is being pushed to the wayside in favor of prejudice.
    The Cavalier and Paladin are dead set on eliminating what view as heretics and blasphemers while the Magician and Ranger are not going to avoid backing their play. The double agent Cleric is in a tight spot realizing his cover could be blown. A third party intercedes to try and put sense into place and it is from an unlikely source.

Reggie: Whoa everybody. I realize how awful they look but you got to trust me that they are on the level. My whole party got wiped out and they kept me alive. When we got inside two weeks ago there was a poor shmuck on his last leg and they healed him, fed him and took him in. Every group we have met they have fought to protect their own lives but they have sought mercy and provided protection to those willing to accommodate them. I know the undead thing is creepy but sometimes you got to play the hand dealt to you.

The Halfling gives an emphatic and heartfelt speech, a heavily omitted speech, and gets everyone to back off and relax a bit. The two sides agree to back off and give each other a day to recuperate. The group is somewhat perplexed that their reluctant companion would come to their aid and press him(by proxy me as DM) why the sudden change of heart.

Reggie:If I have learned anything from my time with you guys it’s that its better to give you time to control events. Less people get murdered or cannibalized that way. I guess to put it bluntly I feel safer knowing the demons are on my side.

With that line Dis Pater and Skalagrim straight up jump from their chairs and high five each other.

Dis Pater: I told you I would Stockholm syndrome someone within the first month!

Yep…they are congratulations each other on making the gnome so desperate that he views his captors as a better option than the “good guys”.

By happenstance this is all occurring right at the day 15 mark. As the U.C. are gearing up and prepping for a potential run in against the Canticle all the party members with hair on their bodies notice the hair standing on end. An arcing crackle sounds through the halls outside and there is a deafening groaning sound like rusted metal being pulled apart. The whole interior structure of the room they are in beginning to pulse with a faint red light and sigils that were previously invisible light up in a clear neon green.

Seraphim: Anyone have a read on the symbols?

Negative from all fronts.

They elect Chomper to poke his head into the hallway and see what is going on. I smirk while handing him a description.

The goblin barely gets his head out the door when a crackle of electricity sends him flying back into the room. His eyes are bugged out wide open and his character frantically pleads for someone to close the door.

Chomper: Lock it…bar it…throw anything you can to keep it shut. NOW! NOW! DON’T HESITATE.

Something passes the room they are locked in and sounds far beyond anything witnessed by mortals cascade against the barred portal. The illumination and sigils persist for exactly one hour then cease. The group is desperate for an explanation for what he saw. A highly distraught and traumatized Chomper does his best to explain what he caught a single glimpse of.

(I had mentioned in the initial onset of this campaign’s description that dragons existed, they were rare and barely ever messed with but knowledge of the creatures was common…if not entirely accurate)

Chomper: It was like someone severed the head of a massive dragon…and suspended it mid air. It was black as night and looked dusty. It had lots of eyes…at least six…maybe ten, all suspended at the end of stalks. It had brackets of metal drilled into it’s skin from all angles like someone did a horrible patch job using rivets. Metal rods like horns stood from the top and seemed to gather electricity. The eyes were sweeping the hallways while blasting forth rays of something. I saw a creature running and midstride a ray caught it…and it was just gone. Not even ash remained. Then the electricity caught me. I have never seen anything like that before. Just a glimpse of it left him quivering and practically paralyzed.

In character they have zero idea of what is going on or what that sighting signifies. Out of character I have some very experienced and seasoned gamers giving me a cold look and asking mouthing the question…

“Half dragon beholder?”

It’s enough of a change in status quo to leave them reeling and reacting instead of maintaining the tempo and dictating the pace of events. Currently they are depleted on undead minions, scared out of their minds over the unknown creature just sighted and what its intentions are, and aware of a rival NPC party that has had time to get their legs back under them. There is also still the lingering presence of stirge mounted grig barbarians (Dis Pater is not one to leave a grudge lightly) and some cattle thieving psionic minotaurs. We end session on that note as they try to regroup.

Side Notes:
    *The creature they sighted is indeed a dragon/beholder hybrid. More construct than independently intelligent creature. It is intended as a cleaning mechanism, like a street cleaner but with disintegration and acid. Unless interfered with it follows a specific route cleaning the halls then ends its path within a hidden recess in wall. If you mess with it’s progress it will stop is preprogrammed path and defend itself. It runs once a month. They don’t know this and how they react because of that is hysterical.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman26 View Post
    Saw this got updated and back to the front page and realized it had been over a year since I had posted. Tried to wrangle some free time and break in my typing hands again. In truth I have missed writing these and recapping. Spare time is still at a minimum, but with holiday season in retail complete I figured I would try to get something up once or twice a week. Happy New Year all!
    ...Kaveman's back? Kaveman's back! Huzzah! It really is a happy new year now (ok, it was pretty happy for me beforehand, but this just makes it better).

EDIT: So after actually reading the update now:

Spoiler
    Show
    Geeze, a dragon/beholder used for tunnel cleaning services, that's something most would call overkill. And anyone who doesn't (like whoever created this dungeon) would be someone I wouldn't want to mess with.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2015-01-07 at 01:19 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

28. - Top - End - #118

Zombie

I do wish we had that level of a cleaning crew here, it wouldn't take long at all that way.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

29. - Top - End - #119

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    ...Kaveman's back? Kaveman's back! Huzzah! It really is a happy new year now (ok, it was pretty happy for me beforehand, but this just makes it better).

EDIT: So after actually reading the update now:

Spoiler
    Show
    Geeze, a dragon/beholder used for tunnel cleaning services, that's something most would call overkill. And anyone who doesn't (like whoever created this dungeon) would be someone I wouldn't want to mess with.
    It's definitely overkill. But it fits with the overall backstory of the mega dungeon. It's also a really cool visual and strange application of that creatures particular abilities.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Kaveman is back. EPIC YES.

He comes bearing updates. MOAR EPIC YES.

He's got a Half-Dragon Beholder. SO MUCH YES.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!