New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Universe

1. - Top - End - #751
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Steven Universe

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Also I did notice Jasper and Peridot had the diamonds on their suits, I just didn't realize the importance of the diamonds being yellow, nor did I realize the connection it has to Pearl's space suit.
    Jasper explicitly says they report to Yellow diamond and the diamond colors are clearly present in other areas. Pearl's diamond suit was pretty much a dead givaway that something was up given it lacked a Star and she was already erratic in regards to cosmic stuff in that episode. They basically painted the entire structure of it all out in bright, blocky letters that aren't that hard to follow.

As for Ruby and Sapphire, I'm hoping that something will come of it but I doubt the showrunners will be nearly so clever. Partially because two people who have no seperate experiences and physically can not function without one another is kind of creepy as hell, and partially because lets face it, introducing two characters then doing nothing with them is boring any way you slice it. Hell, I'll be blunt, Garnet's been kind of creepy ever since this whole living relationship stuff started getting emphasized. She's been pushing people into clearly unhealthy directions and every other thing she does suddenly has to loop back into it. It's dominated her personality and every single episode she's had past that point.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Colossus in the Playground

I think you're reading too much into it, but, onto the points, in order.

The Way Garnet describes herself("I am made o-o-o-o-of. Lo-o-o-o-ove." "I am a conversation"), and the way she's described by others but does not object to(notably, Steven calling her a relationship) coupled with her descriptions of what fusion means("Stevonnie. You are not one person, and you are not two people. You are an experiance,") and describing what happens to Garnet when Ruby and Sapphire come apart, I take it that "Garnet" is seperate entity-a third person if you will, for the purposes of ownership. It's not her love, it's the love that her two component pieces share for each other, however, at the same time, she is not an entity-Garnet doen'st want a relationship with anyone because she's Ruby and Sapphire joined together and "three's a crowd"

Not being able to be Garnet Forever probably has less to do with the stability of their relationship and probably has more to do with the fact that being fused possibly means having to be in perfect constant communication unless you can over power the other and are strong enough to keep the fusion by force(Like Lapis dominating Malachite). Continuous communication logically must be exhausting, and it's demonstrated that despite not needing sleep, Gems can still get tired. It's entirely possible that she has to come apart every so often so that her components can rest-I even posted a half joking theory along these regards a little bit ago.

Incidentally, I just got a mental image of Garnet being so exhausted after a mission that not only does she face plant fall asleep like she did at the end of Chile Tid but separates, being too tired to stay fused. Then they wake up and it takes them a second to realize they're not fused.

Third point-That response could be interpreted in several ways.

Note how the "pair" did't match-that was a blue sock with a red one. I believe that it's a reference to how Ruby and Sapphire are going to "stay like this(Semi-permanently fused) forever."

I also don't see anything in the side as Ruby and Sapphire arguing. Unless you're talking about the thing where they were talking to each other through Garnet, which, based on which eye was visible when each thing was and it being her red eye that shed a tear, I took it as Ruby reacting significantly more strongly to the sight of the worst possible version of what she shares with her beloved being forced on her dead friends than Sapphire did, and while Ruby was having a major freak out, Sapphire was more focused on calming ruby down. Their emotions weren't in sync, so they started to come apart, but luckily managed to hold it together long enough to deal with the situation.

At least that's my theory.

Speaking of that scene-the first thing I thought when Garnet started coming apart was "I wanted to see more Ruby and Sapphire, but not like this."

Changing Topics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Someone posited that Sardonyx might be a fusion of Steven and Jasper, either happening by force, by accident, or by steven doing it on purpose as part of a plan to save Lapis.

Th person who posited the theory also posited that it might result in a Heel/Face turn in Jasper, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

Thoug I did get the mental image of King Steven Quartz "Pink Diamond II" Universe accidentally building himself an army of "Universal Gems" who are vehemently not Crystal Gems and are only associated with them because Steven is a member.

I choose to blame this on the above theory.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Personally I just want to know where those socks even came from, Steven wears sandals!

4. - Top - End - #754

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Jasper explicitly says they report to Yellow diamond and the diamond colors are clearly present in other areas. Pearl's diamond suit was pretty much a dead givaway that something was up given it lacked a Star and she was already erratic in regards to cosmic stuff in that episode. They basically painted the entire structure of it all out in bright, blocky letters that aren't that hard to follow.
    I hadn't noticed that Pearl's space suit had a diamond on it. That's literally the only thing I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    Personally I just want to know where those socks even came from, Steven wears sandals!
    That...is a very good question.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

I would hope Steven wears socks during the winter.

Alternatively, it's Connie's. Somehow.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

That uniform stuff is pretty amazing. There are a couple of other points that I don't think have been mentioned in this thread?

In the episode where the Gems go to the Strawberry Fields and find the old temple, and fall through the roof, there are four figures. Rose is portrayed with a star symbol, protecting people from a blue figure surrounded by diamonds (that's been pretty hashed-out). On either side of that main fight, there are two other figures, both with triangle-symbols. It's hard to tell in the screenshot I posted, but they are respectively white and yellow.

Finally, on Peridot and Jasper's spaceship, there is an insignia of three interlocking triangles - blue, white and yellow.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

eggynack: I just want you to know, imagine a +1/thumbs up from me on pretty much every post you write, since this forum doesn't have it.

You're just finding this out?

In other news, to get you up to speed, Cleoptra's died of a snakebite and there's a bunch of big men in long boats harassing europe.
    Could you please not be rude? It's not fun at all to read and I imagine it's not fun for posters like LaZodiac to be at the recieving end of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

As for Ruby and Sapphire, I'm hoping that something will come of it but I doubt the showrunners will be nearly so clever. Partially because two people who have no seperate experiences and physically can not function without one another is kind of creepy as hell, and partially because lets face it, introducing two characters then doing nothing with them is boring any way you slice it. Hell, I'll be blunt, Garnet's been kind of creepy ever since this whole living relationship stuff started getting emphasized. She's been pushing people into clearly unhealthy directions and every other thing she does suddenly has to loop back into it. It's dominated her personality and every single episode she's had past that point.
    Way I figure it, as the show stands, fusion is Garnet's flaw. She hasn't had one, up to now, and it's been portrayed largely as a strength, as it should be, but it's also the only serious weakness we know about from her. Amethyst has her insecurities, and Pearl, well, Pearl is basically just one massive flaw at this point (and I frigging love it), but Garnet has been the stable one, and this is her point of instability. I doubt she's going to get some permanent split, but I'd be surprised if we didn't get more Sapphire and Ruby action, and I'd be similarly surprised if the show didn't hammer away at this issue some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    eggynack: I just want you to know, imagine a +1/thumbs up from me on pretty much every post you write, since this forum doesn't have it.
    Glad to hear it.

9. - Top - End - #759

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Rose is portrayed with a star symbol, protecting people from a blue figure surrounded by diamonds (that's been pretty hashed-out).
    Wait, who's the blue diamond fella? If it's Blue Diamond, and Blue Diamond was indeed defeated by Rose, why is there still a Blue Diamond component to the emblem on the ship?
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2015-06-22 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #760

Imp

Either she didn't defeat him permanently, only repelled him, or someone else filled the position.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Troll in the Playground

The popular theory is that both White Diamond and Blue Diamond were defeated on earth. I could try and find the whole theory, but long story short it involves the temple in the strawberry battlefield. Yellow diamond is the only one left on homeworld.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

12. - Top - End - #762

I can't help but feel these questions would be incredibly easy to answer. If only, you know, Steven actually bothered to remember that pillow they had this entire time now that he knows there's an actual dude stuck in there trapped. For a sensitive guy he sure does like to leave people suffering for like twenty episodes before doing anything.

Which is probably the shows biggest flaw. Every single question you as an audience have could be answered in five minutes by most of the main characters. There's no real dramatic tension because it's not really played as a major failing of the cast. They just kind of set up plot points then leave them hanging for months at a time for no reason.

13. - Top - End - #763

There's no proof that the gem in the pillow is a capital G Gem.

The Mirror Gem was a living gem, but that doesn't mean that the other Gem powered artifacts are.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #764

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    There's no proof that the gem in the pillow is a capital G Gem.

The Mirror Gem was a living gem, but that doesn't mean that the other Gem powered artifacts are.
    It's referred to as having a will of it's own and thus we can infer a mind. Even then, it being exactly the same as that other artifact that has a gem trapped in it in terms of motif and displaying symptoms similar to other trapped gems like the lighthouse indicates that it's clearly some form of gem.

Besides, even then, if you wish to get technical, the gems are bound to the objects both times with the exact same silver lining. So we can say with confidence that it's visually similar, displays similar mannerisms, has it's own will, and is functionally identical to the mirror, except that unlike the mirror it isn't broken quite so dramatically.

15. - Top - End - #765

How do you know it's a person gem and not a Corrupted Gem?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #766

How do you know it's a person gem and not a Corrupted Gem?
    The difference between the two has yet to be formally established, despite everyone except Steven presumably already knowing.

Which is another item for the list of "things this show needlessly plays keep away with", because it spent half a season to spill even the bare minimum that everyone figured out by episode three.

17. - Top - End - #767

What pillow are you even talking about?

18. - Top - End - #768

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    What pillow are you even talking about?
    The desert glass. Which is a pillow. Because clear names are something Rebecca Sugar values.

19. - Top - End - #769

The desert glass. Which is a pillow. Because clear names are something Rebecca Sugar values.
    There's also a type of gemstone called Desert Glass in the real world so that might be related.

Anyway, we don't know if it's an actual Gem like Lapis or not. Regardless, Pearl has it now.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I can't help but feel these questions would be incredibly easy to answer. If only, you know, Steven actually bothered to remember that pillow they had this entire time now that he knows there's an actual dude stuck in there trapped. For a sensitive guy he sure does like to leave people suffering for like twenty episodes before doing anything.
    I hadn't even really thought of the desert glass as a thing that could be freed, so it's not much of a surprise that Steven doesn't either. And, given what happened with Lapis before they stopped her, and the fact that the desert glass was going erratic before they claimed it, I wouldn't call the issue of freeing the gem a cut and dry issue. Gems are frigging dangerous, and while Steven could plausibly bring this one to their side, it's similarly plausible that it could bring about some catastrophe. Lapis was only really stopped because she happened to have the power to fly into space. What if this gem lacks that sort of ability, and is even less willing to negotiate? For someone who's brought up the issue of potential town/planetary damage, and who once condemned Steven for thinking Peridot could be reasoned with, you're awfully cavalier about the idea of unleashing a potentially insane gem onto the Earth.

Which is probably the shows biggest flaw. Every single question you as an audience have could be answered in five minutes by most of the main characters. There's no real dramatic tension because it's not really played as a major failing of the cast. They just kind of set up plot points then leave them hanging for months at a time for no reason.
    I dunno that I'd call the decision to not just have the gems toss out crazy exposition dumps and divulge all of the world's mysteries a flaw of the show. Steven Universe just kinda has a slow and subtle pacing, unfolding information as it goes. That the episode has spent probably a good five minutes talking fusion just this week, especially in Keeping it Together, and that there's still a long way to go in terms of explaining it completely, shows to me that you're drastically underselling how long it would take to answer the questions of this show, and how many questions there are in general. Cause, y'know, not every question is something like, "What's up with yellow diamond?" Some of my biggest questions are things like, "What is the relationship between Jenny and Kiki Pizza like if we spend some really good time on it?" and, "Is Mayor Dewey ever going to seriously explore his Pearl crush?" and even something higher level like, "What is the Pearl/Garnet fusion?" There's not no reason for them leaving your plot points hanging. The reason is that there is a ridiculous density of plot points, and they can only spend so much time on your high end mythos stuff.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I watched the whole series all the way through recently at the behest of a friend, but after coming here, I realize now that I should probably watch it again because I'm having a hard time recalling most of the details from past episodes that everyone else is talking about. For instance, I totally forgot that Desert Glass was even a thing. Hmm...

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Fallout View Post
    So, I watched the whole series all the way through recently at the behest of a friend, but after coming here, I realize now that I should probably watch it again because I'm having a hard time recalling most of the details from past episodes that everyone else is talking about. For instance, I totally forgot that Desert Glass was even a thing. Hmm...
    Well, you probably should watch it again, cause it's awesome, but the really detail oriented stuff probably isn't all that important. Like, there are absolutely call backs to obscure stuff, like bringing up the Lunar Sea Spire in The Test, and having the Centipeedle as the crux of Monster Buddies, but as you've likely experienced it's not all that difficult to keep up when that happens. And, y'know, I hadn't really thought about the desert glass again until just now, so it's not like we SU folk have obscure continuity details running around in our heads at all times. Or, I sometimes do, cause the show it the best, but it's more because I'm occasionally weird like that than because it's necessary. Ultimately, this is the way you keep track of stuff like this, by reading people saying interesting stuff about that stuff. Or, yeah, you could watch it all again.

23. - Top - End - #773

Any really obscure details will make sense later and be really obvious once they're important.

Garnet being Ruby and Sapphire is one of those things that's like, really shocking at the time but really obvious in hindsight.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #774

I started rewatching it, but really couldn't get into the early episodes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Well, first episode's kinda wonky, apart from Pearl being awesome, but I think the second really holds up, and there are other really great episodes among those early ones.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's good to know then. I guess my main thing was that I didn't realize how deep this show was gonna go when I started, so I didn't know what all minor details to pick out and keep track of. Granted, I'm sure no one did either, but at least you learn to pick up on it when you're following along, rather than backlog bingeing like moi.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    This is also what I'm partially what I'm afraid of, since I distinctly remember not being impressed by the first episode especially. But yeah, I will watch it again eventually, just, not right now.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

27. - Top - End - #777

Out of curiosity, is anybody keeping up with the "Keep Beach City Weird" character blog?

I think it is amusing

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Well, first episode's kinda wonky, apart from Pearl being awesome, but I think the second really holds up, and there are other really great episodes among those early ones.
    Yeah, I still get chills from Laser Light Cannon. That part at the end when Greg looks up tearfully where for a brief moment his lost love was visible is really touching. If I were to get someone into the show and could only show them five episodes, they would be:

1) Laser Light Cannon (the stronger of the two opening eps, establishes mythology and has a sweet Greg moment at the end)
    2) Giant Woman (one of the most enjoyable early eps, fun song, introduces concept of fusion)
    3) Steven's Lion (beautiful "fight" sequence, introduces Lion)
    4) Bubble Buddies (Connie, shows that Steven will learn new powers, Connie)
    5) Tiger Millionaire (early exploration of a Gem's inner demons)

I'm interested what other people's choices would be for "episodes to show a newcomer that display this show at its best."

Out of curiosity, is anybody keeping up with the "Keep Beach City Weird" character blog?

I think it is amusing
    God yes. I wish there were more references to his blog on the show, in my view it's the best part of his character.
    Last edited by Fralex; 2015-06-28 at 11:27 PM.
    You can always rely on the kindness of strangeness.

29. - Top - End - #779

Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    Yeah, I still get chills from Laser Light Cannon. That part at the end when Greg looks up tearfully where for a brief moment his lost love was visible is really touching. If I were to get someone into the show and could only show them five episodes, they would be:

1) Laser Light Cannon (the stronger of the two opening eps, establishes mythology and has a sweet Greg moment at the end)
    2) Giant Woman (one of the most enjoyable early eps, fun song, introduces concept of fusion)
    I'd remove Giant Woman and tack Lion 3 at the end.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post

I'm interested what other people's choices would be for "episodes to show a newcomer that display this show at its best."
    I'd probably keep up a strong fusion bent, because I think those are the show's best episodes. Giant Woman would be there, because it doesn't rely strongly on past stuff and introduces the fusion stuff. After that though, I'd consider moving through Coach Steven and Alone Together, because they're two of my favorite episodes of the show. Maybe add Sworn to the Sword to the end of the list, for more Connie and more awesome, though that has some Rose reliance that I'm not fond of, and maybe Bubble Buddies too, for Connie origins and yet more awesome. At some point, this definitely turns into just a list of my favorite episodes, which I might just make, and at some other point, the answer is probably to just have them watch the whole series.

God yes. I wish there were more references to his blog on the show, in my view it's the best part of his character.
    I read up until it stalled for awhile, and haven't kept track of the influx of posts that happened as a result of the recent episode of his. It's probably better stuff than most of what he gets up to, mostly because he's likely my least favorite character. It'd be fine if he were just dopey and caught up in his weird stuff, but his dopiness has such a kinda dark and mean edge to it. I'd like it more if he were a relatively nice guy who was maybe a bit insane, rather than everything feeling like it has some odd agenda to it.