New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Universe

1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Steven Universe

That was a good episode and a great ending.

Now we always knew this was an alternate universe in a way....But now the dollar....Have we seen the Dollar in Steven Universe Before? Because a Diamond on their Currency....

He did figure it out. Polymorphic Sentient Rock people. I mean, its always been completely obvious, but he is the only one to take any notice whatsoever, and realize that their essentially only rocks with bodies attached for transportation.

Plus I always like "The Mad Oracle" as a trope.

And to quote pearl:

Humans Live short insignificant lives
    Man I love all these Hints and little drops of information. How much of His ramblings are to be true? We will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Polymorphic rocks is an exact description of Crystal Gems and how they "work", though he probably doesn't know since even Steven didn't know much and he lived with them. It's also worth noting that the gems were involved with this version of American history, since we see them crossing the delaware way back when, so a not to them being on money is almost to be expected.

Another note is that "Diamond" is the unofficial name for the gem we keep seeing depictions of in the background. Despite Pearl's claims, "Diamond" clearly IS a big bad since she was apparently able to stop Rose and the uncorrupted masses of Crystal Gems apparently solo. Given that Gemkind is apparently fixing to CONTROL planets her being hostile is to be assumed.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Bwahahahaha!

Now thats Brilliant. I love how all the 2 Gem fusions look well designed and fantastic, however when they ALL fuse together they look like a ugly abomination with over-designed elements, two mouths a whaspy voice, green clown hair and spider-like limbs.

That was probably a middle finger by the designers who kept getting "OMG GET US A 3 Gem fusion!" messages.

Outside of that, very very awkward story (In a good intentional way). Probably should have wen't with Opal.

Also Steven is most likely Immortal as well.....Oh lord. That has got too suck. For a Human being that is.
    A little condescending

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

The only way that could have been more awkward is if Greg had to kiss the combined fusion form.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: No way!
    Show

I mean, I would have scoffed at this, had not freeze framing other stuff spoiled plot stuff before. This may be real
    A little condescending

6. - Top - End - #96

Garnet does have two gems...

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

And three eyeballs, is the most powerful of the whole group.

It has been mentioned that spending too long in a form overrides your personality. Maybe thats why she is so reserved. To prevent instability.
    A little condescending

8. - Top - End - #98

Saw the newest episode, a very affectionate Dragon Ball parody. Or maybe a homage?

Spoiler
    Show
    Best moment was when Garnet took her hair off... and it was weighted.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

This is such a great series. Most of the episodes seem to be laught-at-loud funny so far, AND they tell surprisingly smart stories while at it too. I mean, on one level it's stuff for kids... and on the other, it's references to things kids won't get for a while.

Spoiler: Island Adventure
    Show

Sadie was awesome, and the way they handle the side character's relationship is interesting. Loved Steven's star-eyed, uncomprehending reaction to it. I guess they might be building up to some Steven-centric episodes where the Gems have to explain human love to him? It might be almost as intentionally-awkward as Fusion Cuisine.

Spoiler: Keep Beach City Weird
    Show

Wow, that's really nice. At the same time ridiculing the conspiracy nuts, and using the conspiracy to point out in yet another way that gems are not human, and have lots of control over everything...

Spoiler: Watermelon Steven
    Show
    That tied surprisingly well to what we previously knew of Rose's, and Steven's, powers. The healing spit had already been demonstrated, after all...
    The implications of how powerful Steven will be one day are rather scary.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Yaaaaay! I finally found a thread discussing this show! I love this show, and I have been looking for somewhere to discuss this! Man, I don't know where to start!

Okay, first, with this question, I've seen some of you refer to pictures of the gems (involving the American revolution, and punching out an apex predator), could you link to the pictures here, or point me to the pertinent episode(s)?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    Yaaaaay! I finally found a thread discussing this show! I love this show, and I have been looking for somewhere to discuss this! Man, I don't know where to start!

Okay, first, with this question, I've seen some of you refer to pictures of the gems (involving the American revolution, and punching out an apex predator), could you link to the pictures here, or point me to the pertinent episode(s)?
    The picture in question is from the episode in which Steven ages mystically, IIRC. Garnet shows him a picture of the Gems, in full revolutionary getup, crossing the Delaware. In that picture, Garnet is punching out a shark.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    The picture in question is from the episode in which Steven ages mystically, IIRC. Garnet shows him a picture of the Gems, in full revolutionary getup, crossing the Delaware. In that picture, Garnet is punching out a shark.
    Thank you very much!

So, does any one else think that the statue facade of the temple is a depiction of a 5 gem fusion? I know there isn't much evidence for it, but here's what I'm basing this idea on; it has the two-faced thing that Alexandrite has, but it has Rose Quartz's hair, and I've seen a screenshot (though it might have been concept art) that shows that the statue has five pairs of arms/hands

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

The statue is unknown of what it truly is, but it has similarities to the three gem fusion abomination.

Also, his mother didn't know that her son might need to breath.
    A little condescending

14. - Top - End - #104
    Colossus in the Playground

Not necessarily - this isn't the first time that something Rose left behind was not exactly safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Those things are usually Deathweapons.

This was a message for her son. Never knowing that he would need to Breath to survive, she hides the tape in a place where he could normally not survive. She never realized this not needing to breath and all.
    A little condescending

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

She might have thought that he would have enough gem in him to not need to breathe. Or, more likely, If he can magically age/de-age himself, what's to say he can't stop needing to breathe? This might have also been the only way she could be sure that it would reach him. She might have been worried that it would get destroyed, damaged or lost, had it been anywhere else.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

No talk about the new episode?

I mean, it's all SPOILERS, but I liked it. Also nice references to earlier episodes.

18. - Top - End - #108

The new episode is all kind of crazy.

Spoiler
    Show

So now we know that the Crystal Gems aren't exactly on great terms with other Gems. But if that's the case, why does Pearl want to return?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

A very promising episode indeed.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think that Pearl really wants to return to the other gems. I think she just wants to see space and travel again. To not feel trapped in one place, to feel some control over her situation.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn. Good episode. Was a real sense of "Oh yeah, we are escalating this". Liked that the clang of the feet meant that the body was more hard and practical. The gems may be non-human but they still seem functioning as human. Whilst this gem looks like a Robot.
    A little condescending

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

You're right, I wonder if the Gems felt a connection with humans because of that, or if they became more like humans because of their long association with them.

Also, I've been thinking about the monster gems. So it's been fairly firmly established that a Gem's state of mind can affect their abilities, right? And if there was a war between gem factions (I feel like it's been implied that there was), maybe there were soldiers, on either side, who came to regret their actions, against humans or other gems, and began to see themselves as monsters. I doubt that this feeling was disputed by the 'normal' gems. Over time they transformed into the monsters they believed they were.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

I think with their shapeshifting abilities the more Humane ones became more Human. I mean look at Rose Quartz. She loved humanity, an I would say wen't 99% human. I mean look at the skin tone.

And I bet something more insidious. The more rebellious gems TURNED their Former Allies into monsters. As dangerous as the monsters where, they where incomparable to the powers of the Crystal Gems. In a desperate war, they did the unthinkable.
    A little condescending

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    I think with their shapeshifting abilities the more Humane ones became more Human. I mean look at Rose Quartz. She loved humanity, an I would say wen't 99% human. I mean look at the skin tone.

And I bet something more insidious. The more rebellious gems TURNED their Former Allies into monsters. As dangerous as the monsters where, they where incomparable to the powers of the Crystal Gems. In a desperate war, they did the unthinkable.
    New episode... So many questions. So many implications. Just... Wow.I really want to know where Steven and Connie go from here.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I don't think it would be the rebelling gems (I'm assuming that you meant Rose Quartz and friends). It seems the sorta tactic that the... Extrasolar? Gems would use (basically make life as hard for the rebels as possible to get them to recant).

As for that new episode, I really liked it. It was adorable and kinda sad at the same time. (I really liked Garnet's face when she found out Steven fused). I also feel that they started fusion practice in response to seeing Peridot. A just-in-case measure in case the other gems do come back.
    Last edited by RagingBluMunky; 2015-01-16 at 01:03 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

You know I did not like this episode and I figured out why:

It was weirdly sexually charged. The camera movement, the angles, the actions, the character design and plot.

All weirdly sexually charged. Which is just creepy when it relates to Steven and his generally asexual world. All sort of sexual things that happened before had a sort of innocence to them or where not charged like this.

The reason I find this is because some of the episode doesn't make sense, unless you view it through the lens of sexual metaphor and such.

Im not sure why they did this. But I didn't like it. I don't like this.
    A little condescending

26. - Top - End - #116

That was kind of the point, no? It was supposed to be awkward because these are what, 8 year olds?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Well yes. It was intensely awkward.....Why? What purpose did that serve? I mean you have so many themes to choose from when it comes down to adulthood, or maturing, or the like. What was the point of that detour, it didn't even end up having anything to do with Steven (Stevonnie is a separate person in my book)? It felt like somebody was bored, and was watching Ramna 1/2, and said "Eh, why not?".

Im not sure whats its point. Unless Steven will have a habit of fusing to go to raves. Its not like the episode began with: Steven Wants to learn about Raves!

It was like: Gem Fusion Related Stuf-STOP! Sexy time! RAVE PARTY! CREEPY CAMERA ANGLES!

What was its point for the audience as well? I mean geeze.
    A little condescending

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Well yes. It was intensely awkward.....Why? What purpose did that serve?

What was its point for the audience as well? I mean geeze.
    The awkwardness was for the adults and (maybe) tweens. Like the gameboys in the DJ table. Does "the audience" even recognize those?

Spoiler: Spoily spoiling
    Show
    For the kids? It shows that dancing might be awkward, but it can still be fun.

For tweens, it talks about how being yourself is fine, you don't have to become the perfect person to be allowed dance. Being perfect doesn't automatically mean having fun.

For adults, it is about sexual harassment at a dance party. Kids in-show, and maybe out-of-show, won't even get what's happening. And it's also about the embarrassment of your kids growing up and being sexual.
    "It's impossible! Or at the very least inappopriate."

"Yes, well, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, but you two should unfuse this instant."
    "Wait, what? Pearl, you were so worried Steven wouldn't be able to do this. Aren't you proud?
    "Of course I am. I, uh, Garnet, help me out here."

This continues to be a really clever and well-written series. :)
    Last edited by endoperez; 2015-01-16 at 01:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

...No I mean WHY! I mean, we could randomly have Steven Transformed into whatever and then have something happen to him.

Stephen becomes a Banker for an episode and learns how it sucks to work for a family that doesn't love you. Its about life sucking

Stephen goes to an Alternate Dimension of Judge Dredd and has to team up to kill a bunch of Rouge Judges. Its about life's cruelties.

I mean why not? My point was this was a stupid awkward sucker punch of a theme, It doesn't feel like it belongs. Stephen didn't really age, so its just creepy and doesn't even fit its theme in its own universes.

So Il just leave it as: I thought this episode was bad because its theming, tone and atmosphere feels off (Which is 90% of Steven Universe). Also its awkward for adults but not in a clever way. Like partying is one thing, the initial creepy zoom in on Stephonnie? Just creepy. And for no good reason. This episode just feels like no good reason.
    A little condescending

30. - Top - End - #120

...No I mean WHY! I mean, we could randomly have Steven Transformed into whatever and then have something happen to him.

Stephen becomes a Banker for an episode and learns how it sucks to work for a family that doesn't love you. Its about life sucking

Stephen goes to an Alternate Dimension of Judge Dredd and has to team up to kill a bunch of Rouge Judges. Its about life's cruelties.
    None of those have anything to do with Steven's character arc. We got a lot out of this episode - Steven can fuse (with humans, no less) which sets up potential Steven-Crystal Gem fusions, Steven and Connie's romance-ish subplot gets progressed. Most importantly, Steven discovers that while he's not afraid of giant monsters, there are other scary things about being grown-up that he still has to learn to deal with, which is important because of how desperate he is to become an equal of the other Gems.

So I'll just leave it as: your complaining just feels like no good reason.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2015-01-16 at 05:50 PM.