The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default could belkar do be resurrected by OOTS?

my question is do you think it is possible for belkar to die is such a Heroic way as the OOTS would feel guilty/obligated enough to resurrect him?

such as say he dies trying to stop Durkon from killing the rest of the party or something?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: could belkar do be resurrected by OOTS?

Quote Originally Posted by captpike View Post
    my question is do you think it is possible for belkar to die is such a Heroic way as the OOTS would feel guilty/obligated enough to resurrect him?

such as say he dies trying to stop Durkon from killing the rest of the party or something?
    Sure, they could feel guilty and obligated, but the prophecy pretty much says that they won't be able to even if they feel that way.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Remember, the prophecy is "draw his last breath," not merely "die" - so coming back like Roy did would not be in line with the prophecy. Coming back like Durkon did, however, is quite feasible...
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy

4. - Top - End - #4

It is possible, I suppose. I know I would not want them to, but everything is possible.

However, if that happens it will be hard to explain why the Oracle's prophecies chose this exact time to stop being accurate. Or it would imply that he would die again (or become a vampire, perhaps?) before the end of the year.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well Roy seems to be counting on Belkar dying soon and isn't planning on raising him, and I doubt that Belkar could do anything heroic enough at this point to change Roy's resolve to let the clock run out on him.

However, they did bring Belkar back to life in the SS&DT alternate continuity, so it IS technically possible that they might do it in the main online comics as well (but probably not).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

"What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

"Last breath--ever."

If Belkar dies and then comes back, that would no more fulfill the prophecy than if he simply didn't die.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

7. - Top - End - #7

maybe he will get a ring that as a "does not need to breath" property

8. - Top - End - #8

maybe he will get a ring that as a "does not need to breath" property
    Still need to never have birthday cake again, not have a use for an IRA, and, hardest of all to evade, not be in the world.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

Not celebrating another birthday could be read as him not coming back as undead. OTOH would he celebrate his birth as undead? Coming back as a ghost would seem most suitable if he were.

OTTH could there be a simpler explanation: Belkar changes sex permanently? So Belkar would then celebrate her birthday?

I'm sure that whatever Rich has planned it will be interesting, obvious in retrospect, and hilarious.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    I'm sure that whatever Rich has planned it will be interesting, obvious in retrospect, and hilarious.
    Or it's just that Rich plans to kill Belkar but not remove him from the strip somehow.

11. - Top - End - #11

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Still need to never have birthday cake again, not have a use for an IRA, and, hardest of all to evade, not be in the world.
    Not quite: the Oracle says Belkar 'isn't long for this world.' That phrase is normally a euphemism for death, but I'm wondering about the word 'this'. Going to the Snarl world is an obvious way out, but then he'd still celebrate his birthday etc.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Not quite: the Oracle says Belkar 'isn't long for this world.' That phrase is normally a euphemism for death, but I'm wondering about the word 'this'. Going to the Snarl world is an obvious way out, but then he'd still celebrate his birthday etc.
    Maybe they don't have cake on the world in the Snarl.

That said, he would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That said, he would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    What if he gets Reincarnated? I don't think ive seen too many authors handle that in any sort of D&D based work, so it would be interesting to see how Rich would do it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #14

I find it...unlikely...that Rich is going to write the kind of ripoff that, "When I said Belkar Bitterleaf, I meant that he would randomly start going by another name after reincarnation. When I said The Halfling, I meant that he would soon be an elf. When I said He, I meant that he would soon be a she. When I said Your Friend, I meant...aw, when was Belkar ever your friend?" would be.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I find it...unlikely...that Rich is going to write the kind of ripoff that, "When I said Belkar Bitterleaf, I meant that he would randomly start going by another name after reincarnation. When I said The Halfling, I meant that he would soon be an elf. When I said He, I meant that he would soon be a she. When I said Your Friend, I meant...aw, when was Belkar ever your friend?" would be.
    "So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #16

I think he could die heroically, but even if the order tried to resurrect him, he wouldn't want to come back.
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

17. - Top - End - #17

What would his afterlife be like anyway? fire and brimstone? I don't know much about planes in 3.5

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    "So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
    Tarquin is the The Giant??? OH NOES

19. - Top - End - #19

What WOULD be interesting is if the Oracle can't see into the Rift. What if Belkar ends up there?

I still think he's going to die, permanently, but speculation is fun.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

20. - Top - End - #20

DruidGirl

Maybe he'll get reincarnated, but somehow, through unforeseen circumstances involving the Overdeity of Cats and Shojo's ghost's second cousin twice removed, he'll end up reincarnated into an iron lung and stuck there permanently, which will breath for him, so he won't ever draw breath for himself ever again....

21. - Top - End - #21

PaladinGuy

We've already seen one way a raise/resurrect could fail to work even if there was no specific block from outside three times (one of them implied as having happened years before): you can't raise someone who doesn't want to be raised. If Belkar is enjoying his afterlife, he knows better than anyone (since he was the one who explained why the attempt to resurrect Shojo failed) that he can say, "Um, no--having fun here. Good luck with that Snarl thing."
    Last edited by eilandesq; 2014-01-18 at 07:19 PM. Reason: slight correction

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    What WOULD be interesting is if the Oracle can't see into the Rift. What if Belkar ends up there?
    That's actually possible, now that you mention it.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Then the Oracle can still see him, because the Oracle can just read the book when it's printed and see what happens in the Rift.

Similar to how he "understood" Haley: he "read the published book", as it were.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: could belkar do be resurrected by OOTS?
    "I'm not dead! I'm getting better! I don't want to go on the cart. I feel fine! I think I'm goin' for a walk! I feel happy!"

Seriously though, I doubt Belkar dies before the climax of the story. There won't be much point to resurrecting him. (I'm still half-expecting a prophecy twist of some kind.)
    Last edited by Talya; 2014-01-18 at 11:13 PM.
    Creator of the Vow of Nudity

Spoiler
    Show

We didn't cast the [Fire]...
    LGBTitP

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I would love for Belkar to die and get Resurrected in some way that technically fulfills the prophecy...

...and then a few strips later get dusted and permanently killed. It would be an epic troll of the forums.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Well if he was a vampire in the Snarl world he wouldn't be eating cake, he'd be drinking blood.

Not that I'm saying this is at all likely but twisting prophecy is always fun.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

I know!

Time travel!

Belkar will die before the end of the year - and a million years before his own birth! He'll live in a world where cakes and IRAs haven't been invented yet.

(Of course, he is a gourmet chef, so cakes are right up his alley. But he prefers a decent kitchen, not a cave.)
    Last edited by Tiiba; 2014-01-22 at 03:11 PM.
    Just a heads-up: That coffee we gave you earlier had fluorescent calcium in it so we can track the neuronal activity in your brain. There's a slight chance the calcium could harden and vitrify your frontal lobe. Anyway, don't stress yourself thinking about it. I'm serious. Visualizing the scenario while under stress actually triggers the reaction.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    What if he gets Reincarnated? I don't think ive seen too many authors handle that in any sort of D&D based work, so it would be interesting to see how Rich would do it.
    He would, of course, come back as a kobold
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir View Post
    Well if he was a vampire in the Snarl world he wouldn't be eating cake, he'd be drinking blood.
    Blood pudding!

(does it count as cake?)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

No. There is no way, no how that Roy Greenhilt will allow "Death's Little Helper" to cheat his just rewards. The Order might feel guilty enough to buy a nice headstone, maybe bury the Belkster in a ceremony under a thunderstorm, but they won't Raise him from the dead.

Also, the spells Raise Dead and Resurrection are not the same thing in Dungeons & Dragons. The former is a 5th level spell that brings a recently deceased target back to life, while the latter is a more powerful spell, able to revive those dead for long periods of time, missing parts of their body, and even those turned into Undead (and then destroyed). Resurrection is, obviously, the more expensive of the two.
    Farewell Durkon! May you merit to enter Valhalla and share a drink with your pa!