New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] A Precursor to Doom - IC

"If you were up to a nefarious plot, heard a noise, yelled that someone was in the woods and start searching for them, would you follow them as they left? I probably would... Your ruse helped give me the excuse I needed to try to get out, but I didn't think they would actually fall for it.

"I can almost certainly get close again to pin them in from behind with my bow. However, I would probably not get quite as close until I see the rest of you moving in. I am unsure if there is another route, but there is bound to be SOME way that's easier than the way I went."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Nico nods. "If they were actually searching for you, we have waited more than long enough. Ummm... split up as you see fit, perhaps, but try not to show yourselves, or kill anyone, unless you must."

The half-elf continues down the path, attempting to continue his ruse, for whatever good it may be worth.
    Last edited by HeCaudata; 2014-02-03 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Formatting

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Your pet here isn't gonna trample me when things get rough, is he? I'm not gonna be much use face down in tha mud. Should we maybe tie him up before we get too close?" Grayson loosely holds the animals reigns out for the group to observe.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Bellin looks to Geffery, the woods, and back to Geffery before shrugging and following Nico down the path.

Puzzled she asks Nico as they walk "I'm still confused. Sometimes I feel like I don't even know...

"You'll remind me if i'm doing something I shouldn't.... right Nico? You seem to have a much better handle on these ...things... than I do."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As the faux merchant caravan heads forward, they lose a bit of their authenticity due to the lack of the mule.

They quickly find, however, that Nico's supposition was right, and that there is in fact a side-trail that leads to the clearing described by Geffrey. In the center of the clearing you can barely make out smoke rising from a smoldering campfire, and across the clearing, you can see the edge of a stream whose swift water you can still hear.

To Geffrey's suprise, there is no sign of any 'bandits' in the clearing from either vantage point.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Please get yourselves arrayed for whichever direction you decide to go, i.e. entering the clearing or continuing down the path.

I am assuming Grayson just ties the mule up, rather than asking if he should then waiting for 2 days to resolve it, as that would be the proactive thing to do ;-)
    Last edited by broodax; 2014-02-03 at 08:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

"Look, a fire." Bellin blurts out as soon as she sees it.

She begins toward the camp but hesitates and turns back to Nico with her eyebrows arched questioningly.

Is...is THIS the double trap!?

7. - Top - End - #67

NecromancerGuy

The party cautiously ventures into the clearing, with Geffrey scrambling through the brush to flank the campsite. It's clear from this distance that the fire was recently put out, and there are somewhat obvious signs that the clearing was occupied only moments ago. Sticks used to stir the fire are discarded nearby, freshly blackened, some thicker logs are set near the fire, and while you cannot make out clear tracks, the dirt has recently been well disturbed and kicked up.

As a few of you enter the clearing proper...

Wait! Is something...

Show
    ROLL INITIATIVE

Also please make perception checks to determine if you're surprised, and Geffrey make a stealth check please.

Something's Initiative - (1d20+1)[6]

8. - Top - End - #68

NecromancerGuy

Geffrey senses something is wrong, a twig breaking a few yards from the party, but he's still unable to see anything present in the clearing. He continues stealthily through the brush.

As Koldar and Bellin enter the clearing, they are stunned to hear a guttural voice call out from the empty space in front of them, "You should have kept your noses out of it!"

With no warning other than a slight rush of air, Koldar is then greeted by the source of the voice, a tall, powerfully built human, dressed in simple, high quality clothes. His muscles are already taught, as he is mid-swing with a 2-handed axe when he appears, seemingly out of the air itself.

A split second later, his companion, similarly attired, appears mysteriously next to Bellin and attacks the woman with equal fervor.

Show

"Bandit" 1 - (1d20+11)[29]
    "Bandit" 2 - (1d20+11)[21]

Everyone other than Geffrey is surprised, and he informed me what his action was going to be.

9. - Top - End - #69

NecromancerGuy

Both companions are caught totally unaware, and as easy prey for the hulking attackers, they suffer serious injuries. The two attackers seem almost winded by their sudden assault and stand with axes at the ready to attempt to defend any response from the band.

As they do so, they occasionally steal glances back toward the stream, looking for what you cannot tell.

Show
    Bellin and Koldar are both hit.

Koldar damage - (1d12+10)[22]
    Bellin damage - (1d12+10)[11]

So, all but Koldar will act now before the enemies act again. Don't bother waiting to post in initiative order, as you can all delay to your hearts content and act in any order you want anyway. If you are waiting for someone else to act first, make a quick OOC post to let them know so we don't end up with people waiting for each other.

Even Koldar, if you do want to post what your action will be in order to get it in before you're AFK, feel free. Worst case scenario is that something drastically changes (like you die!) and you need to edit it out later.

Everyone make a perception check during your action as well.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Bellin whimpers as her armor fails to deflect the blow.

Growling, she slides to a more advantageous position and lashes out with her chain.

Spoiler
    Show

5' step W

Attack Bandit 1[Spiked Chain and ArC(shocking grasp)] - PA(2), ArC(+3),KD(+2): (1d20+12)[27]

Dmg[PA(2), KD(2), ArC(4d6 elec)]: (2d4+12)[20] plus (4d6)[12] electric.

perception-(1d20-1)[14]

11. - Top - End - #71

2 arrows fly through the air at the bandit nearest Geffrey.

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    mmove to where I moved on the map..., then attack Bandit #1 +7 to attack +2 Knowledge Devotion -2 rapid shot +3 Int bonus for using an inspiration point so +10 1d8+1 +2 Know Dev damage for each shot. whew.

attack1 - (1d20+10)[13]damage1 - (1d8+3)[11]
    attack2 - (1d20+10)[16]damage2 - (1d8+3)[10]
    Last edited by TiCaudata; 2014-02-04 at 07:15 PM. Reason: formatting

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Grayson stares down the northernmost foe and calls forth the aid of the earth in the enemy's presence. A man-sized hand comes forth and engages in battle
    Spoiler
    Show
    perception: (1d20+1)[14]

Hand info: size med, str 16, bab 4, ac 15, hardness 4, duration 4 rounds, hp 12
    Grapples opponent. Touch attack: (1d20+7)[19]
    Opposed grapple (1d20+7)[24]
    Damage non-lethal (1d3)[3]
    Last edited by NeCaudata; 2014-02-04 at 07:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Nico steps forward and calls back to the assailants, "Your noses are the ones sticking themselves out, attacking travelers for simply investigating your fire!"

The half-elf pulls a bit of pork fat from his pouch, throws it at the warrior near Bellin, and intones melodiously, "Grasso limo!"

Show
    Grease as outlined on the map.

14. - Top - End - #74

NecromancerGuy

The band reacts quickly to the threat they knew was there.

While Belin is gravely injured by the axeman, blood streaming down her arm and from under her breastplate, she coolly engages the enemy. As she steps away from the enemy confronting her, her chain darts behind her and strikes the other assailant before she's even turned to face him. The spikes lining the weapon dig through the barbarian's thigh and flesh comes away with them.

"Aaagh - fools. They will be here soon, be gone before we end you!" he threatens through the pain.

He is not in pain for long, however.

Two arrows sprout from his arm and neck, and suddenly Geff is visible at the other end of the clearing, eyeing his handiwork. The muscled human falls to the ground and his axe impacts the dusty ground with an audible thud.

Grayson does his part as well, distracting Bellin's attacker with a conjuration from the very earth. As the halfling merely glances his direction, a hand made from dust and clay reaches from the bed of the clearing and lunges for the bandit. The foe is quick, though. His turn is effortless, and his axe sends the dust back to disperse in the air.

"You think I have not seen these tricks before?! Our fa..yyeeachhhhhhhg!"

His feeble self assurances are cut off as the ease of his swing turns to a comical flail and his feet leave the ground. He slips and crashes to the dirt.

He desperately scrambles up, but must brace himself with the head of his axe hard against the ground in order to avoid falling again.

Show
    First assailant is unconscious and dying. The second fails his save and falls, then fails to move on his turn.

Koldar is up, then the rest of the crew - again, no need to wait for each other.

Spoiler: Geffrey
    Show
    You notice something about the two. They look almost identical, certainly they are brothers. And they bare a striking familiarity... you feel you've certainly seen them before, or someone who looks very much like them.
    Last edited by broodax; 2014-02-05 at 12:14 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

A girlish grin covers Bellin's blood-stained face as Geffery and his arrows appear.

"Welcome to the double trap!" she says before repositioning slightly and striking out with her chain again.

Spoiler
    Show

AoO on Bandit 2: [PA(2), KD(2)]: (1d20+9)[29]
    AoO dmg[PA(2), KD(2)]: (2d4+10)[15]

5' step N

Attack Bandit 2[Spiked Chain and ArC(shocking grasp)] - PA(2), ArC(+3),KD(+2): (1d20+12)[17]

Dmg[PA(2), KD(2), ArC(4d6 elec)]: (2d4+12)[17] plus (4d6)[17] electric.

16. - Top - End - #76

Who are these guys??

Geffrey moves up and takes another shot at the bandit.

Spoiler: if needed
    Show
    Move 30' (on map) and rapid shot twice +10 for one +7 for the other (using last insp point). 1d8+3 damage for each.

atttack1 - (1d20+10)[26]damage1 - (1d8+3)[9]
    atttack2 - (1d20+7)[12]damage2 - (1d8+3)[7]

If Koldar kills, then Geffrey will search the wounded/dead

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

How soon will "they" be here? Better be ready if it's a few seconds

Grayson sees his ally's pain and moves to assist her. Reaching into his pack as he moves, he withdraws a wand and let's some it's power free into Bellin.

Spoiler
    Show
    move 10' next to bellin. Draw wand Of CLW while moving. Use wand on bellin. Heal her for: [roll]1d8+1 [/roll]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Koldar positions himself behind the Bandit, and takes a mighty swing with his great sword.

Show
    Attack Roll - (1d20+9)[11]
    Damage Roll - (2d6+6)[13] (If necessary)

19. - Top - End - #79

NecromancerGuy

The barbarian continues to struggle with his balance, leaving himself almost defenseless against the party's combined counter-attack. Bellin continues to deal out lashes with her chain as the fellow stands up.

Koldar maneuvers to trap the fellow in the area Nico so thoughtfully prepared for him, but is unable to connect with a swing of his sword.

Geffrey joins the others in the clearing, skirting around the smoldering fire's remains to loose another pair of arrows. One of these glances off the bandit's chain armor, but the other leaves a nasty cut across his scalp.

Grayson's aid to Bellin is immediately apparent, as the blood flow from her wounds stops almost entirely. Neither does the halfling get in the way of the woman's magically charged chain - as she sends it toward the man, the crackle of electricity is audible over the sound the gurgling blood flowing from his neck after the weapon connects.

He joins his companion upon the forest floor, his axe harmlessly trapped beneath his lifeless body.

Show
    Grayson heals Bellin for 8 (reflected in roll20).
    Bellin's AOO crits for 29
    Koldar misses (you only needed to roll a 3...)
    One of Geffrey's Arrows hits
    Bellin's attack also hits and the barbarian is dead.

I have decided not to leave combat at the moment... It is Nico's turn. If others want to talk feel free (talking is a free action after all).

20. - Top - End - #80

"Look closely at these two. There is something frighteningly familiar about them, but I just can't place what."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'm worried it was a who that made em invisible, not a what. What direction they'd come from again?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

When the second assailant falls, Nico rushes to the side of the one near Koldar and kneels on the ground. He spits out his words frantically, ”Familiar? To each other, or to someone else you know?” the half-elf asks Geffrey.

Nico continues his no-nonsense pace. ”I assume that one,” he nods toward the electrocuted man, ”is beyond saving, but make sure.” The half-elf rips some cloth from the man and hastily attempts to at least stop him from bleeding out.

I want some answers!

Show
    Horrible heal check for first aid - (1d20-1)[2]

23. - Top - End - #83

"Look at them, they are identical, must be twins. But who is this father they kept referring to? I worry that he is who we need to really worry about and the person I am trying to remember the face of. I doubt that he is nearby though. If there were more people around it would not make much sense for them to stay hidden for as long as they have."
    Last edited by TiCaudata; 2014-02-05 at 02:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

NecromancerGuy

As Nico furiously, but futilely, presses on the fallen man's wounds, the caw of an eagle sounds, and one can be seen circling the clearing overhead.

As your gaze lifts upward, you see a volley of javelins streaking toward the clearing from the direction of the stream. There, three tall, reptilian humanoids, covered in gray and brown scales, wearing leather armor, stand waist deep in the rushing water.

Already reaching for another javelin, one calls, "Harck'la krel, dellin'rella grend lokar!"

Arrows also streak through the air from the far side of the stream.

Show
    Perception checks to see the lizardfolk before they attacked were impossible due to range and your horrible perception skills.

Attack 1 on Bellin - (1d20-3)[14] (-4 range) Damage 1 - (1d6+1)[5]
    Attack 2 on Koldar - (1d20-3)[1] (-4 range) Damage 2 - (1d6+1)[7]
    Attack 3 on Koldar - (1d20-3)[1] (-4 range) Damage 3 - (1d6+1)[7]

Attack Arrow 1 on Nico - (1d20+5)[24] (-2 range) Damage 4 - (1d8+2)[7]
    Attack Arrow 2 on Nico - (1d20+5)[20] (-2 range) Damage 5 - (1d8+2)[8]

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    "Run off, humans, and leave our payment where it is!"

Spoiler: Nico
    Show
    You see a 4th Lizardfolk attempt to 'snipe' from the treeline on the opposite side of the stream. If you want to target him with something, let me know and I'll draw things in the right spot until the others can see him.

25. - Top - End - #85

NecromancerGuy

The javelins fall woefully short, as the mongrels don't seem to have the strength to reach their targets from the stream.

The archer, however, displays cunning accuracy, and the arrows strike Nico hard, lodging themselves in his side and calf.

Show
    15 damage to Nico, the rest all missed. It is the party's turn, beginning with Koldar - of course order doesn't matter unless you wish to coordinate some sort of action.

Please inform us of how long the grease remains.

The terrain, should you venture there, going into the stream is rough enough to prevent charging and require 2 squares of movement. The stream itself is moving somewhat rapidly, and may require some checks to cross (balance, and swim if balance fails).

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Blood drains from Nico’s face, as he gasps in pain. ”Stand down! Back away!” he tells his companions. ”We don’t have to fight!”

While pulling a wand from his haversack, Nico shouts back to the lizardfolk in their own tongue…
    Show
    ”Stop shooting! We have no fight with you, and we don’t claim your payment!”

Show
    CLWs - (1d8+1)[6]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Koldar takes stock of the three fresh targets.

I shall keep their tails as trophies.

Koldar levels his eyes and picks his target when he hears his colleague's call.

Koldar stays his blade. For now.

Spoiler: OOC All
    Show
    Delay until before the next lizzy's action at the latest

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Taking the advice of Nico, Grayson attends to Bellin's wounds with the wand and then backs away from the lizardment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    CLW on Bellin from the wand (1d8+1)[6]
    then move back 15'

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Bellin looks at Nico, her face twisted in conflict.

Nodding slightly she moves between him and where she thinks the arrows came from, drapes her chain over her shoulder and draws her bow.

Show
    "Leave us alone! We don't even want your stupid ore."

Spoiler: OC
    Show

Presumably 'sheathing' and drawing and moving should be more than one move action. So that's her whole turn.

If not, Bellin will ready to shoot the nearest enemy if should any party member be injured by the lizard folk or the mystery bowman.

30. - Top - End - #90

Show
    "These fools attacked us first, but if they have something to do with your payment we can discuss this like civilized folk.

Geffrey moves towards the rest while speaking in a low tone so as not to be overheard. "Forgive me, dear bard, but we do have a conflict of sorts with these folk do we not??"

Don't have to fight? Solving this was the only reason we came up this way!

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    perception - (1d20+5)[16]
    know local - (1d20+8)[13]