New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [RWBY] Sanctum IC III: A Gun Is Fine Too

Jack blinked in shock at the news about team Kaiser's fallen member.

When he saw their teammate lying in the bed, he let out a low whistle. As the team made their introductions to him he waited until they'd all introduced themselves and replied, shaking each hand offered to him in turn.

"Well sheeyoot, ain't this a pickle up a beowulfs bum? I weren't expectin' to get put on a team this year with what all happened ta me on my trip up here an' I shore didn't want it to be on account a somebody else's misfortune. Poor girl, I sure do hope she gets better soon.

The name's Jack Loper, well Jack Loper the 6th on accountin that my pappy an' his pappy an' alla his pappy's way back up was named same's me. I'm from a family way out in the sticks an' boonies up near Ridgeline yeah, but there ain't no 'suburbs' up thataway, unless you're meanin' them fancy human homes they gots, with real wooden walls an' stuff.

Family history aside, I'm the fastest thing on two legs, and faster than most things on three too! I probably shouldn' even be here considerin' that's what the headmaster told me when they tried ta throw my fuzzy butt out. But I telled the headmaster that I only missed openin' week on account of me fallin asleep on the train an' not wakin' up til I was halfway across the country.

Don't you worry captain, I ain't about to mess up no team dynamics or nothin'. Just let me show y'all what I can do after classes today, yeah? I'm sure you'll be impressed.
    "

Jack walked back to class with his new teammates, grinning ear to ear and feeling a little bad about it because of the poor girl who wouldn't get to live out her dream of being a hunter.

Spoiler
    Show
    man, writing Jack's dialogue is going to be exhausting

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

When Team Kaiser gets back, Rip may notice Tenebria glare at him.
    I don't think she likes him.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Hameth can't help but chuckle and chime in. Besides, if every session is this interesting, you really have no excuse.
    "Well, at least someone finds my class interesting. That's not always a given."

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Hameth does notice the dark expression, and moves to intersect his aura with Rokoran's, but backs it away once the room turns green again. ((OOC: Kedra's Aura, acting as an unintentional smokescreen.)) He jots down: "Research 'Mia' in connection with R. - DO NOT ASK, Mogrym all over again."
    "Hameth, while I appreciate you making notes, my personal history is not the topic of this lesson. This is your warning."

His voice is suddenly diamond-edged and very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    [Rokoran's Lesson]

Rip must have done something right, considering the reactions of the students around him; even Rokoran seems surprised, if only for a moment or two. It makes him wonder exactly what they saw, if it aligned accurately with his self-image...In any case, the instructor raises a good point at Kitty's encouragement, and he appropriately resonates, "Whatever I may have accomplished, it's hardly applicable in combat. I don't think any enemy would sit still for that long...I've got my work cut out for me. I'm sure everyone else will have more than enough time to catch up - and then some." Sure, it's not the most optimistic perspective, but he's just trying to help.
    "You think? If you can make yourself look different, you can also make yourself look like you're somewhere else, or not there at all. You can disguise yourself if you need to find out information, or you can make yourself look intimidating to avoid a fight. Visual manipulation is a very useful power, but it does take some effort. You'll get the hang of it, I'm sure."

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Sorry, didn't sleep very well last night.

Caelynn replies, and tries to focus a bit and make something happen...
    And all of a sudden, her hair stands on end for a few seconds.
    Crap... Was hoping focusing on electricity would have ended up providing a more interesting effect.
    "Don't worry about it. It's a start, at least. Try it on an opponent sometime, hair can be really annoying in a fight."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Dr. Jones sighed, closing the file on her tablet. Felix Gigglesworth had gotten worried when Falcon never showed up for classes that morning, so during Rokoran's class he'd gone to check up on her and found her unconscious, dust energy leaking from her pores. Immediately, he'd brought her in, and Jones had run a medical diagnostic.

It didn't look good.

It wasn't fatal, that much she knew, but somehow she'd lapsed into a coma, and there was no telling when she'd wake up from it. This was why she, reluctantly, found herself walking towards Rokoran's classroom. As the head doctor, it was her duty to inform the girl's team of the situation and assign them a replacement as soon as possible. With some degree of trepidation, she entered the classroom.

"Excuse me, Professor Rokoran," she said. "I must speak with some of your students alone. It is a matter of the utmost importance. Would Team Kaiser and Jack Loper please report to me?"
    "What is it? If you're taking students out of my lesson, I need to know why."

Lesson

In the back of class, Tenebria Corvus, feet on her desk, listens to the lesson, dutifully jotting down notes. A couple shades occasionally try to look over her shoulder and copy her, and are met with an irritated wing buffet.
    "Save the physical contact for combat lessons please, or at least wait until I'm teaching you how to enhance your physical capabilities with your Aura."
    Doctor Harald avatar by MethosH

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDM View Post
    "Well, at least someone finds my class interesting. That's not always a given."
    An amused smirk plays across Hameth's face. Well, we've had Rip turn into a senior citizen and back, Kaden produce sparks out of thin air, and the professor breathe fire. I'm just not sure how anyone could find it boring.

"Hameth, while I appreciate you making notes, my personal history is not the topic of this lesson. This is your warning."

His voice is suddenly diamond-edged and very dangerous.
    Hameth's not smiling anymore, but he nods silently, returns a few lines up, circles "Intention seeing" and adds "Probability very high." Not quite sure how you saw that otherwise, professor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Sorry we had ta step out professor, it was fer a good reason though." Jack said as the new team walked back into the class. He hesitated for a minute though, unsure if he should take a seat with his new teammates or not.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Road Back to Sanctum From The Deep Woods

It is the middle of the day, so while not "safe", the woods are not layered thick with Grimm. But for a group of four Hunters-in-Training, it's practically a picnic in the park.

There's a low growl....that comes from the stomach of the red-haired young man walking a couple feet in front of the three girls that comprise the rest of Team Sleipner.

"Mmmmmaaaaannnnn, how much longer before we're back? Doesn't anyone have an energy bar left on them or something?"

He scratches at his (currently shirtless) belly, an over-dramatic petulant expression on his face. His other hand idly twirls a beautiful staff in various circular and figure-8 patterns.

Suddenly, he leaps up into the air, a brief flash of light signaling an Aura boost to the jump. He lands on a branch about 20 feet ahead of the group...and proceeds to turn to face the girls, hanging upside-down by his monkey tale.

"I would even take a banana, even if it reinforces vicious, baseless stereotypes!"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

((@Landis: "Senior citizen?" His age deviated by a few years, not by decades...although, I admit, that is kind of funny to imagine.))

[Rokoran's Lesson]
    When Team Kaiser gets back, Rip may notice Tenebria glare at him.
    I don't think she likes him.
    Rip shakes his head lightly and explains, "It was a joke. I was referring to the slums...You know, the old ruined sectors that got left behind when Ridgeline relocated. My folks and I live in Marsh, ourselves...What about you?"

It's something of a personal question, so Rip partly expects Jack to change the subject or give an ambiguous answer; it's what he'd do, after all. What isn't expected is the icy stare that meets him from the back of the classroom as he walks in. It seems a winged Faunus girl seated back there has taken notice of his presence, and her expression clearly indicates that she's not fond of him in the least. It's regrettable, but it makes sense that his actions, subtle or otherwise, might displease others or even make him some enemies. After a moment, he tries to put these thoughts out of his mind; after all, he's joined Sanctum to become a capable Huntsman, not necessarily to make friends.
    Last edited by ImpSyndrome; 2014-01-27 at 02:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Merah," Clara says patiently, "you are my energy bar. You'd be less hungry if you conserved your energy."

Clara's clothes are sober and layered; the dress of a street punk or a waif. She keeps her hands in the pockets of her large jacket, the much-repaired garment making the white girl seem much smaller than she actually is. Young Love rides in sheaths strapped to the back of her belt, the knives crossing at the small of her back, and every now and again one of her hands leaves a pocket to touch their hilts. Clara sighs, realizing that some of it is probably her fault. Hunger is one of the early symptoms of long-term drain.

"Maybe what you need is a few hours outta my company," Clara suggests. "I can go, I dunno, write my report in the library or something, give all of you the chance to take a breather without me licking bits off of your soul."
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2014-01-27 at 01:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

[Deep Woods]

Nadia has the hood of her cloak up, as usual when she's outside. Her expression is flat, but implies a very slight exasperation; they have been walking for some time. Looking to Pangeran, in lieu of a more complex array of signs, she makes do with simply pointing to the horizon.

Sanctum is just barely visible over the treeline.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2014-01-27 at 02:00 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Past]

"What is it? If you're taking students out of my lesson, I need to know why."
    Not wanting to make a scene, Dr. Jones passed Rokoran a note explaining the situation. If he continued to protest, she'd cite 'doctor's orders' and be done with it. Remembering Aurum, she also included a note asking him to see her after class.

[The Present]

Doctor Jones sighed as Team Kaiser left, looking back towards Falcon. Poor girl, first she lost her wings, then the dust accident, and now this. She made a few notes on her tablet, then turned her attention to the rest of her work.

[Meanwhile, In Class....]

Kitty was focusing as hard as she could, but she just couldn't get her semblance to show. It just felt like there was something missing, or she was missing the mark, or ... something.
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2014-01-27 at 02:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Class

Not my fault he keeps trying to have me do his work.
    Tenebria protests, before trying to use her aura.
    Is... is that lightbulb flickering?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shen looks up with a disapproving look Merah is quite familiar with.

Can you not wait until we get back? It's not that far. Surely even your famed appetite can last for a few more minutes.

Inwardly she shudders a bit at Clara's almost nonchalant treatment of her... problem. She musters herself, however, and responds to her.

You do not have to segregate yourself from us Clara. Though I do think having something to eat would do us all some good once we get back.
    We heard a song, it went 'Twinkle twinkle little star...' What power! What wondrous power! You can take a billion trillion tons of flaming matter, a furnace of unimaginable strength, and turn it into a little song for children! You build little worlds, little stories, little shells around your minds and that keeps infinity at bay and allows you to wake up in the morning without screaming!
    -From Terry Pratchett's Hat Full of Sky

Amazing Harry Dresden avatar by Thormag

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Jet -> Mortemus Needle

Aurum sits in a comfortable chair beside a window, looking out at Sanctum as he speeds away from the place, unsure how to feel about the place. He felt a bit glad to finally be free of the constantly annoying idiocy of others his age. He constantly felt so out of place among the other teenagers he met over his team at Sanctum. They were all so... simple. Fight, Talk, Dress Fashionably, Ogle Attractive Others, Flirt, Sleep. All the same thing again and again and again. They were so utterly content with their lives. It was sickening. It was frankly disgusting! No drive to unlocking the secrets of the world around them. Happy to fight Grimm and eventually marry and have snotty little children that offer nothing to life but their small little acts. Like pawns. A society made of unthinking drones... giving their lives for the "good of mankind". That was their big mistake. There was no "good of mankind". There was only the drive for power. For more. Aurum wanted more. Always needed more. Needed to rule, to conquer... to rule over even the laws of physics, breaking them and reshaping them to serve him.

He thinks a bit more about how out of place he was. A man of science, curiosity, and a will to dominate life among such boring little people, working like little bees to further the greater good. He chuckled a little bit, imagining Alex with the feelers of an insect. That's what they were to him. Insects. Insects with stingers. Some insects more of a threat than others. He knew to treat the new generation of Hunters with caution, for the smallest of scorpions are the most poisonous. Operation Diptera was underway, and that ought to learn enough about each individual to not need to worry about them anymore. Everyone has a breaking point, after all!

Aurum's thoughts were rambling and chaotic. He needed to stop and relax. He has the stewardess bring him a rather large cup of chamomile tea. He takes out his tablet-type electronic and looks over the plans for his side-project, The Tesla Suit. After twenty minutes or so of reading, Aurum arrives in Mortemus Needle, feeling particularly ready for some work. The jet lands at the top of the spire and Aurum moves out of the large black and chrome vehicle, making his way down the spire. Eventually, he comes to the hallway leading to Doctor Ruhig's laboratory. Aurum will knock and stand there, his hands behind his back, looking plenty confident. He always had to look confident and composed around Ruhig, and usually he was. However he was still a bit... unnerved by Rokoran and Caelynn's actions. He waits for the Doctor to open the doors.

----

The Upper Classmen striding through the forest will see the impressive black and chrome jet speed away from Sanctum, the sunlight reflecting off the expensive vehicle, the large "Frontier" logo painted across the side.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Ruhig's Laboratory

Assistant Gorrels opens the door, the old scientist Dr. Wahnsinn still sitting over some plans.
    "Mr. Mortemus. I think you will be pleased with my progress. yes? how goes your excursions to a school full of violent rabble and faunus spies?I trust you've had enough of sticking your nose where it can be bitten? But I expect you came here to see how ze virus is coming along, yes? We are almost done with the primary process of separating that the pure human DNA the faunus share with us from the bestial genes that are their dark heart. I'm sure with enough time ve can find ze gene all faunus share...and then attack it."

Ruhig quietly reflected that he couldn't find any genetic similarities between faunus and Grimm, at least none that were close enough to be useful. Which he knew was obviously rubbish. There had to be a link. There just had to be! How else could you explain bestial traits, their savagery? He just hadn't found the evidence yet. Right? Yes, he just needed to test further, look farther, look deeper.
    The Faunus were clearly agents of the Grimm, how could they not see? Perhaps the Faunus had learned how to mask their own genetic structure somehow, maybe used Aura? to throw him off? It had to be anything but the possibility that they weren't agents of the Grimm, it just had to be! I mean, you might as well start treating them like people next, and it all goes down hill from there.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #75

"Well I wasn't thinking long-term segregation, Shen," Clara replies, shrugging expressively. "But recovery's not really easy while I'm standing right next to you, y'know? I used to take breaks back when..."

Clara trails off for a moment, her eyes glazing with pain. She shakes it off and picks up at the start of a new sentence. "Anyway, it's not a big deal and it's not like we can't talk over our scrolls or something. An hour, two, and some food and you should be ready to go. I'm feelin' downright giddy, frankly. I think I overfed on that last Grimm..."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Merah craned his head around when Nadia pointed to Sanctum's now-visible skyline. He grinned broadly and gave a whoop of joy.

There was a quick flip around the branch, and the monkey-boy was twirling through the air for a moment, his staff folding up and tucking away in its regular sheath against his back. He landed amongst the girls, putting an arm around Clara and Nadia's shoulders.

"Don't be so down, Clara! I'm hungry because I ate all our food by yesterday afternoon. Don't you remember Nadia and Shen giving me the stink-eye and a tongue-lashing, respectively? Man, not how I want to wake up in the morning, ladies!"

He's released them and is bounding off along the trail, then turns and is basically jogging backwards as he talks.

"Besides, Pangeran Merah always has plenty of soul to go around."

The "Ladies" is implied by the wink. They've heard and seen it about 20 times already.
    This week.

"Anyways, we all probably need some "me time" when we get back. I mean, don't get me wrong I don't mind sharing a room, but I don't feel like sharing my hygiene time. And my poor tail still has Grimm blood on it."

The dark red fur hid it well, but it was definitely a bit grody-looking. And they couldn't have helped but noticed the boy was slightly...nature-y...when he gave them the side hugs. Then again, none of them were as fresh as a spring brook at the moment.

"You did definitely go after that giant armored bear Grimm thing with particular vigor, Clara. It was a little scary, in the best way possible."

'And a little hot.' he thought to himself.

Well, he's a teenaged boy. He's going to notice things at his age. Mostly people notice him, though.

"But yeah, we just all get a bit of me-time, get some food, then meet up to finish writing our reports. "Team Sleipner kicked ***. Again. With style. Again." Bam, reports written!"

The secretaries at school were pretty much constantly in a state of "I want to strangle Pangeran Merah" by this point.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

I gave you a tongue lashing because someone has to. And you ate all my sweet ears. Do you realize how hard it is to get those?

Very hard, in that she had to make them herself. But no one will ever know that-- the kitchen staff were bribed with some of the pastries, and they were her mother's recipe-- one of the few things Shen learned from her that she enjoyed.

If you want to separate, Clara, I will not argue. I need to clean off anyways."
    We heard a song, it went 'Twinkle twinkle little star...' What power! What wondrous power! You can take a billion trillion tons of flaming matter, a furnace of unimaginable strength, and turn it into a little song for children! You build little worlds, little stories, little shells around your minds and that keeps infinity at bay and allows you to wake up in the morning without screaming!

18. - Top - End - #78

"Definitely," Clara agrees, her good mood revived by the banter. "Merah, has it occurred to you that writing down an accurate report makes it more likely that some professor or other recounts our exploits to a freshman class?"

Clara leaves that to percolate in Merah's mind while she walks, humming quietly to herself in anticipation of a hot bath.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

[Deep Woods]

Nadia sighs, looking like she's resisting the urge to facepalm. She excises the urge by running a hand through her hair, then setting her hands into a flurry of gestures.

Ate my sweet rolls too. Will haunt you in your sleep.

Nodding slightly at the sentiment of cleaning up, she considers for a moment, glancing to Merah.

No peeking.

She runs a thumb across her throat.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Is it my fault sweet ears and sweet rolls taste amazingtastical? No! Is it my fault they called to me with their incredible aroma and overpowered my brain? Certainly not!"

It's totally his fault.

"As for the reports, you lovely ladies all do all the boring details. Passing on the tales of my exploits is what the cafeteria is for!"

The staff laments how popular "Story Time With Merah (tm)" is. So much lamenting.

"And Nadia, I'm hurt that you'd think I'd peak on any of you, or any other girl. You know I'm not the sort of guy who disrespects women like that."

This is actually true. Merah is more likely to beat would-be Peeping Toms to a black-and-blue pulp than peek himself. He intends to see a naked girl the honest way.

21. - Top - End - #81

Clara snorts, smiles, and shakes her head. "You can't run from the reports forever, Fearless Leader. Just be glad that I kinda like what you call the boring stuff. It'll be good practice if I get into business later. Dunno if the whole 'huntress' thing is for me just yet. I mean...y'know, I've built my whole style around my condition. When that changes, am I even going to be the same warrior?"

Clara shrugs again - she's good at it - and hums thoughtfully. "Not that I'm not grateful. I half-expected to just get cacked, y'know? But...there are good people. They do become Hunters. Sometimes the things you learn as a kid are really true. It's a nice feeling. They didn't have to take me in. Maybe I should pay all that training forward? I dunno."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shen glares at Merah.

Sanctum wants everyone's points of view in their records. You know half the staff hates you, and it only gets worse every time you submit another two-line report.

Shen sighs. They never get through to him. At least now they have someone else who can help write reports well. Their other teammate was never very good at it either. Even if this new one had rather... disturbing eating habits.

It's good you like it Clara. We have to do almost all of it.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

[Deep Woods]

Nadia looks at Merah flatly.

It is totally your fault.

Quite suddenly, she looks to the side of the trail with a squinting expression, then she leaps into the trees, pulling her tonfa from under her cloak.

...There is a faint trail of smoke where she's heading!
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

24. - Top - End - #84

"Every time a girl just wants to take a bath," Clara mutters before sprinting off in the direction of the smoke. Habit sees her pulling her scroll out to check the Aura levels of herself and her teammates. The young woman scowls in irritation when she sees that her own has already started to deteriorate.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Merah gave an overdramatic sigh as Clara and Shen keep pressing him about boring paperwork.

"Yeesh, fine, fine, fine. I'll try to write more than the perfect encapsulation for the mission when we get back. Then will you all give me a break?"

He gave Clara a smile and a thumb's up when she mentioned going into business.

"I bet you'd be an awesome lawyer or something like that. You've got the brain and patience for it. And if anyone tried to give you trouble you'd just warn them you can shank a foo'. With two shanking shankers what shank at midnight."

He's about to rebuttal Nadia's remark about the sweet rolls when she gets to moving. Toward...smoke.

And suddenly his face is much more serious, and there's a slight depression in the ground where Pangeran Merah had been standing.

Because the boy in red and black was racing ahead of his team, a branch ahead of Nadia as they ran/jumped through the trees, his staff out and clutched firmly, his eyes and ears sharp for any nearby danger.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Ruhig's Laboratory

Assistant Gorrels opens the door, the old scientist Dr. Wahnsinn still sitting over some plans.
    "Mr. Mortemus. I think you will be pleased with my progress. yes? how goes your excursions to a school full of violent rabble and faunus spies?I trust you've had enough of sticking your nose where it can be bitten? But I expect you came here to see how ze virus is coming along, yes? We are almost done with the primary process of separating that the pure human DNA the faunus share with us from the bestial genes that are their dark heart. I'm sure with enough time ve can find ze gene all faunus share...and then attack it."

Ruhig quietly reflected that he couldn't find any genetic similarities between faunus and Grimm, at least none that were close enough to be useful. Which he knew was obviously rubbish. There had to be a link. There just had to be! How else could you explain bestial traits, their savagery? He just hadn't found the evidence yet. Right? Yes, he just needed to test further, look farther, look deeper.
    The Faunus were clearly agents of the Grimm, how could they not see? Perhaps the Faunus had learned how to mask their own genetic structure somehow, maybe used Aura? to throw him off? It had to be anything but the possibility that they weren't agents of the Grimm, it just had to be! I mean, you might as well start treating them like people next, and it all goes down hill from there.
    Aurum walks in, not paying the assistant any sort of attention but turning his head slightly to glance at Doctor Wahnsinn poring over his plans. Good. It was always such a nice thing to know that the incredible amount of money poured into this division of Fronter was being used for something worthwhile. Aurum replies lazily and matter-of-factly, moving to look over Doctor Wahnsinn's shoulders to take a quick look at the plans as he speaks. Oh? It went satisfactory. I achieved what I had sought to do in the little time presented to me. I was hardly "bitten", Doctor Ruhig, and your blatantly disrespectful tone is unacceptable. Regardless of your personal opinion as to my work and how I get it done, I have completed my task. You have yet to complete yours. I have sown the seeds of treachery among them, as well as confirming that an incredible amount of the student body happens to be Faunus. It'll all fit together perfectly...

Now... explain to me how the completed virus ought to target the body of a victim. Obviously the virus is to be fatal, but it would be astute of me to be able to recognize and comprehend my own virus, Doctor. What are the side effects? Fatal bleeding? Internal Rupturing? Does it function like a sort of cancer?
    He'll now move to sit down on a nearby chair and gently tap twice at his glasses. This will have them record the conversation so he can listen to the side-effects and details about the plague later. Aurum always concentrated better when he was alone and listening to some proper music.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

(I would wait for Jadev here but it's really just going to be another 'follows' post probably, so I will make this last post before bed.)

[Deep Forest]

Nadia stops just before a clearing, flipping her tonfa into crossbow mode, and fitting two bolts. She looks to the front liners with a nod, the sound around her deadening.

The clearing... is actually quiet without the interference, however. In the center, there's the remains of a pile of trees. It appears the gap in the trees was created manually, by the drag-marks. Closer to the center, there's a path of burnt grass... and underneath the pile of charcoal and ash, is the burnt remains of several beowulfs and a bjorn.

The only battle here is one that's already happened.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Barlowe turns his attention to the cleanup, not meeting Moloch's eye. "Er, yeah. I have noticed a slowdown in my correspondences lately, now that you mention it. A few of my friends from back then have died of course, I know that, but I'm not hearing much from anybody, to be honest. It is making me nervous, but I can't tell you why. Heh. Of course, it could also just be business as usual. The Corps works like that at times. I suppose you'd know better than I, in fact. You were, what, a Commander when you retired? I never made it past the rank of Specialist."

((Naturally, Barlowe is trying not to spread what he's heard from the Directors, not that deception is his strongest suit. What Mogrym reads out of his response depends on how perceptive he is - it could be anything from "this guy is just trying to make me feel better" to "this guy has something he wants to say, but this isn't the time or place to say it". Read it as you will. ))
    Given how paranoid the Professor can be, he's certainly picked up quite a lot on human psychology and body language. He's not at all one for knowing how to accept compassionate emotion either. Both of these traits point to the immediate thought that Barlowe is either keeping something from him deliberately, or wants to talk to him about it somewhere private. He thinks about the two possible explanations for a bit as he speaks. Mhm... It'sh frankly a bit... dishturbing. No contact with the Huntersh for monthsh now. And I've had thish convershation with my old friendsh ash well. We've all heard nothing.... Aye, that I wash! A Commander of my own shelect Captainsh, who led groupsh of teamsh. I wash quite high up on the totem pole there fer a while. And... that'sh what makesh it shtranger. I became very closhe friendsh with quite a few of the higher upsh, who alwaysh make it a point to mail me. I don't know what to think of it all.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Given how paranoid the Professor can be, he's certainly picked up quite a lot on human psychology and body language. He's not at all one for knowing how to accept compassionate emotion either. Both of these traits point to the immediate thought that Barlowe is either keeping something from him deliberately, or wants to talk to him about it somewhere private. He thinks about the two possible explanations for a bit as he speaks. Mhm... It'sh frankly a bit... dishturbing. No contact with the Huntersh for monthsh now. And I've had thish convershation with my old friendsh ash well. We've all heard nothing.... Aye, that I wash! A Commander of my own shelect Captainsh, who led groupsh of teamsh. I wash quite high up on the totem pole there fer a while. And... that'sh what makesh it shtranger. I became very closhe friendsh with quite a few of the higher upsh, who alwaysh make it a point to mail me. I don't know what to think of it all.
    That was surprising. And worrying. Barlowe would have understood if Mogrym hadn't heard much, but nothing? Nothing at all? That was worse than he'd expected.

"Speaking of your experience..." He said slowly, as if changing the subject. "Have you ever in your career fought Grimm that used tactics? I don't mean the traps and indirect attacks the Anansi use, I am talking about actual military tactics employing multiple varieties of Grimm? A friend of a friend of mine told me recently how that friend died, and it's somewhat hard to believe."
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-01-28 at 08:49 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

(I'll wait for at least Knight to post since realistically there's no way Shen could beat him there.)

Shen is alerted not by the sight of her comrades taking off, but by their feelings-- the electric tingle of surprise, the thrum of power that comes when Merah is being serious-- she feels the auras move off into the woods and turns to follow, aura enhancing her speed as she sprints to whatever they found.