New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [RWBY] Sanctum IC III: A Gun Is Fine Too

[Deep Woods]
    Team Sleipnir and Mogrym

The clearing is just as the team left it. Around 20 meters wide, with a pile of unearthed and burned trees piled atop the remains of several grimm. While nothing has changed, this doesn't necessarily make it any less uneasy.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Deep Woods]
    Team Sleipnir and Mogrym

Merah's mannerisms had slipped most of the way back to "serious", but with an experienced and well-armed Hunter with them, he felt a bit better being out here near the scary fire pile.

"We didn't find anyone when we cam here, Prof. Just...this. Smoke, but the fire was out. I think we came across it...20 minutes ago? Thereabouts."

He glanced sidelong at the scarred man.

"You ever seen anything like this before? Shen said whoever did this was not only hecka powerful, they were...spooky calm. No emotion at all calm. Which, no offense Prof, doesn't sound like you. You're professional, but I dunno, I get the vibe you're more of a "control emotions in combat" sort of guy, instead of a "zen killing spree" dude."

The whole time he's talking, Merah's eyes are scanning the treeline, and his ears occasionally twitch. He's watching and listening for trouble, the only sign of the tension he's disguising being how his tail stays close to his back, with just the tip twitching back and forth now and again.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    [Sanctum]
    Team Sleipnir

She holds two hands up as Mogrym approaches her for a hug. In past interactions this has not been uncommon. Apparently she really values her personal space.

As always, her expression is rather muted, but there is a notable unease still hanging about her.
    Proffesor Mogrym frowns a tad, taking the situation completely serious. Not only was he a paranoid man, but whatever had happened apparently really bothered the upperclassmen. Obviously whatever had happened was quite spooky. Mogrym took the words and reactions of his favorite freshman team seriously. They frequently knew what they were doing, and for them to have come to Mogrym meant that they believed something was strange or threatening enough to consult a faculty member, was a big thing in his eye. He notices her unease and gives a reassuring nod. He never was the best at comforting others...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Clara hadn't yet gotten to telling Mogrym about her transfer, and having him find out like this makes the pale girl's cheeks burn in embarrassment. Light dims in her vicinity, for a moment, as she loses control of her drain and then regains it.

"It's this way, Professor," Clara says politely. "We were on our way back from a field exercise when we spotted the remnants of a battle, sir."

Clara opens her mouth to apologize about her silence, then shuts it. What is there to say? The Professor isn't stupid - one team had an open slot, another had only one survivor. A natural fit and explanation for her presence. Still, she stares away from him, feeling oddly like she's betrayed his trust or her former teammates or both.
    Mogrym had already heard of her transfer, and while he did feel a little bit disappointed and sore over one of his favorite's transferring, it was for the best. He always wanted the best for his students, even if they often hated him for his philosophy and lessons. He wasn't upset with Clara, just a bit saddened by the loss of a brilliant Huntress-to-be. He offers a few short words. Ah... thank you for the overview, Msh. Clara. And, hey, kid.... don't worry about the transhfer. I already heard. It'sh nothing to feel guilty about, alright? You did what ya had to. Don't think you'll be sheeing any lessh of me though. Wouldn't want to loshe contact with shuch a bright young Hunter. He offers a solemn smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadev View Post
    Shen shakes Mogrym's hand as he offers it. She's always been fond of the scarred old warrior. He reminds her somewhat of her grandfather.

There's a lot of burned-up Grimm corpses, but the whole thing looks odd.
    Mogrym shakes Shen's hand, his extremely strong and cold metal prosthetic squeezing tightly at her hand. It's a familiar handshake of his, just strong enough to possibly crack a knuckle. It wasn't on purpose, but this arm was meant to fight and deal damage, not shake hands. Mogrym's other hand is currently a bit busy fiddling with the pistol in his pocket. Nice to shee you again, Misshy. Burned up corpshesh? ...Huh. Shtrange. I... that'sh shtrange. He's a bit in thought, and he makes an unpleasant face. Like he's remembering the taste of biting into a particularly soggy and old ham sandwich. We'll... get it looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Merah grins when Mogrym comes down to greet them, savoring the utterly cheesy moment. When the scarred professor moves toward him, the monkey Faunus flings his arms around the old professor and squeezes. Considering how tough Mogrym is, there's no chance of him being hurt.

"Alright, yeah! Hug time! Bring it in, Prof Mog! Right on!"

Somehow the team's irrepressible leader had managed to discretely slip the comb out of the older man's hair and deposit it in his hand.

He got a bit more serious as Clara spoke.

"Yeah, it's not too far. But it's pretty **** weird."

And with that, they're back off out the door and gates toward the forest!
    Mogrym accepts the hug well. If anyone was to be hurt from that, it would be Pangeran. Mogrym's breasplate is special, and when pressure is applied to it, it causes small spikes to pop out slowly. The more pressure applied, the more the spike pops out. His thick brown leather coat covers his back and sides from the armor's spikes, but Pangeran's stomach is facing Mogrym's, and as such he might get some uncomfortable prickly feelings. The armor was built so that if Mogrym was ever lifted or bit at by a Grimm, it would deal a hell of a lot of damage to said Grimm should it bite down. The comb is easily lifted off of him. Ahhh. Eashy there, eashy. Don't want to activate me armor or anything. You'd end up like week old cheeshe on a grater. Good to shee you again though. I'm glad to hear Clara hashn't killed ye already. "By accident", of courshe, ahahaha. His laugh is hearty, but a bit pushed. He's still concerned too much to be as friendly as he'd like. Well. Alrigh', let'sh go.

[Deep Woods]
    Team Sleipnir and Mogrym

The clearing is just as the team left it. Around 20 meters wide, with a pile of unearthed and burned trees piled atop the remains of several grimm. While nothing has changed, this doesn't necessarily make it any less uneasy.
    Mogrym makes his way to the clearing with the Hammer/Staff at his back, the Aether Rifle in his arms. For someone as... bulky as Mogrym is, he's suprisingly stealthy when he needs to be. The rifle is aimed forward, and his artificial eye is looking forward constantly, using it's many different visions to simultaneously apply infrared, darkvision, and echolocation. He doesn't see much save for a few animals.

When he arrives, his brow instantly furrows. He's looking about, rifle aimed forward constantly. He looks about, inspecting how whole trees have been uprooted and burnt. It would require an incredibly amount of strength, the likes of which he only knew three other human beings possessed. The first was an individual known as Captain Clegg, a pirate infamous for stealing dust shipments. However, he was killed long ago by a bounty hunter, and both of which have long since been forgotten. The second was a Hunter Captain he worked with and remained good friends with after he left the corp. Her name was Brilla Firehearth. She was currently retired and peacefully resting with her grandchildren somewhere. The other was a man known as Connal. He knew Connal quite well, for during the years when Mogrym was a Privateer Hunter he had been put to the job of finding the rebel and locking him away before his strange cult-like following caused any more damage or cost any more lives.

He had battled Connal many times, along with having tracked him over the country for a few years. He recognized the specific methods of combat, along with the familiar feel of Connal's powerful aura. After looking around, he speaks. He looks a bit pale, and certainly seems to be a bit jumpy. ...You are lucky, children, to have found thish location after the actsh had occurred here.

[Deep Woods]
    Team Sleipnir and Mogrym

Merah's mannerisms had slipped most of the way back to "serious", but with an experienced and well-armed Hunter with them, he felt a bit better being out here near the scary fire pile.

"We didn't find anyone when we cam here, Prof. Just...this. Smoke, but the fire was out. I think we came across it...20 minutes ago? Thereabouts."

He glanced sidelong at the scarred man.

"You ever seen anything like this before? Shen said whoever did this was not only hecka powerful, they were...spooky calm. No emotion at all calm. Which, no offense Prof, doesn't sound like you. You're professional, but I dunno, I get the vibe you're more of a "control emotions in combat" sort of guy, instead of a "zen killing spree" dude."

The whole time he's talking, Merah's eyes are scanning the treeline, and his ears occasionally twitch. He's watching and listening for trouble, the only sign of the tension he's disguising being how his tail stays close to his back, with just the tip twitching back and forth now and again.
    He nods and continues to speak solemnly. Aye... thish is a foe beyond any of you... I've sheen thish sheveral timesh in my life, but not for many a year... He looks about, instantly on the look out. Connal was always a clever man, and who knows... Are you absholutely certain you didn't shpot anything, or anyone as you passhed by? He's glancing about, the sounds of the forest now sounding like a cacophonous thunder as his thoughts raced. Connal, back again? It'd be terrible. The reappearance of the rebel would simply cause his many followers to restart their rampages! I believe in the relationship of rage and sherenity in combat. Sherenity and peace of mind go hand in hand with rage and anger in combat, but sherneity should alwaysh control the anger, or mishtakes will be made. You musht balance emotional fury with the calm collected behavior of a military force. Only then can you unlock your true potential without the dishtractionsh of attachment...

Thish followsh none of those rules. Thish wash done without any short of feeling. No shign of human emotion at all... Children... thish ish a messhage. A tell-tale shign of a dark horizon...
    He pauses in his steps and blinks a few times, bad memories going through his mind.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

"What do you want us to do?" Clara asks quietly, cutting to the heart of the matter. "I don't back down from fights, but...sounds like whoever did this might interrupt my dearly-held addiction to living. What message, Professor?"

Clara, unlike many students, didn't mind Mogrym's lisp or his ways, really. When she's being honest with herself, Clara admits that part of that has to do with being one of his favorites. But, for the most part, it's simple respect. Clara got into fighting for fun - the first day she saw Mogrym, she recognized someone who got into it for a whole different reason. He was part of what inspired her to take Sanctum as an opportunity instead of just a prison.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Nadia saw the smoke, we came here, and saw the pile. Never a glimpse of any person. Or animal. Or Grimm."

He paused, his head turning back and forth a couple of times as he more obviously looked about them.

"Which is...still true. Shoot. The creepy continues."

Then Clara asked one of the two most important questions. Merah asked the other.

"Prof, you act like you know who did this. So...who was it? And...if this happened, so close to the school..."

Seriously it's less than 20 minutes at a good running clip, and easily visible from where they were.

"Don't you think we should, I dunno, warn someone?"
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2014-01-29 at 10:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

I checked. There was no one else around here. At least no one within my sensing range.

Shen is getting somewhat nervous. Though Mogrym's presence is certainly helping with the sensation of the previous aura, his nervousness is somewhat contagious. It's not helping that everyone else is feeling it too. Shen tries to wall it off, but she's not totally successful in doing so, and it shows somewhat on her face.
    Last edited by Jadev; 2014-01-29 at 08:24 AM.
    We heard a song, it went 'Twinkle twinkle little star...' What power! What wondrous power! You can take a billion trillion tons of flaming matter, a furnace of unimaginable strength, and turn it into a little song for children! You build little worlds, little stories, little shells around your minds and that keeps infinity at bay and allows you to wake up in the morning without screaming!
    -From Terry Pratchett's Hat Full of Sky

Amazing Harry Dresden avatar by Thormag

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

[Deep Woods]

Nadia doesn't draw her weapons, but she's scanning the treeline like she plans to as Mogrym makes his assessment. When Merah speaks, she looks to him, making a few gestures.

Did warn someone. Not our responsibility now. Our responsibility to be careful.

She does turn to Mogrym, however.

Who was this?

The intensity of her eyes carries into her signage.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2014-01-29 at 08:44 AM.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Mogrym frowns here and takes a glum look down upon the ground. Ms. Aniash... Yesh, I think I know of her name. I remember hearing of her, though I've never met her before. She'sh dead? A death ish not anything too incredible in the corpsh. Why... what'sh sho intereshting about thish? Wash it the specific death? He nods and moves to finally get off the chair. It's rather painful for Mogrym. He's old and his rheumatism was acting up.
    "There was a 'horde rush' in a settlement called Silversheen. She and a partner attempted to break the tide, splitting up to protect the town while Rayne tried to find the horde's center. She was found dead after the Grimm retreated. I've looked it up. There's not much in the way of official reports, what with Rayne not being an active Huntress, but apparently she was found much further from the town than she should have been, in terrain that would have made for an ideal ambush. They must have used several feints to lure her into a trap: a slow, patient, clever trap. She probably never saw it coming until the trap closed around her."

"As I said, however, there is little in the way of solid evidence. Just unusual circumstances and her partner's rendition of events. There are no witnesses to her actual death, only the events leading up to it and then the discovery of her body, leaving me with little more than facts that don't add up and insinuations that don't bode well. If I were to push it with the evidence I have, I would be ignored as rationalizing a friend's death. I may well be, to be honest. I never was able to take the death of friends well."

((Fanon: Horde rushes, where Grimm assault a town en masse, were rare even in the bad times. Grimm don't like populated areas, which is why the setting is mostly crowded cities and wilderness. Small settlements simply aren't as safe, because Grimm don't work as hard to avoid them.))
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

[Rokoran's Lesson]

After finishing his conversation with Jack, Rip will be practicing the same kind of illusion as he produced earlier. Unfortunately, he'll find it more difficult to reproduce now, no thanks to a certain light fixture flickering and causing his shadow to jump from one position to another at random intervals. After a few failed attempts, he'll give up on it and try to produce some simpler effects, like the shock Kaden had created. Seeing the effects of Alex's concentrated Aura, however, will disrupt and intrigue him; it's one thing to give it a tangible form, like an elemental property, but to simply imbue it with effect is something entirely different. That concept will give the shrewd archer a few creative ideas, and he'll write them in his notebook to study later...

Spoiler: Rip's Aura notes
    Show
    Aura use: property vs. effect?

Properties: fire, storm, shadow (Ask Prof. about known properties)
    Effects: force, blocking, propulsion (Experiment, observe different effects)

Potential combos
    Fire + propulsion = fire breath?
    Storm + force = lightning bolts?
    Shadow + block = active cloaking? <- Did I just do this?

((I just thought of something: when Hameth said he definitely wanted to speak to Rip later, was he just thinking that, or did he actually say it?))

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    [The Past]
    Not wanting to make a scene, Dr. Jones passed Rokoran a note explaining the situation. If he continued to protest, she'd cite 'doctor's orders' and be done with it. Remembering Aurum, she also included a note asking him to see her after class.

[Meanwhile, In Class....]

Kitty was focusing as hard as she could, but she just couldn't get her semblance to show. It just felt like there was something missing, or she was missing the mark, or ... something.
    Rokoran looks at the note, and nods.

Meanwhile In Class

"Kitty, you're trying too hard. It isn't about effort. You need to relax. Just imagine. Don't force it."

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    An amused smirk plays across Hameth's face. Well, we've had Rip turn into a senior citizen and back, Kaden produce sparks out of thin air, and the professor breathe fire. I'm just not sure how anyone could find it boring.

Hameth's not smiling anymore, but he nods silently, returns a few lines up, circles "Intention seeing" and adds "Probability very high." Not quite sure how you saw that otherwise, professor.
    "Trust me... you haven't seen anything yet."

He grins.

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    "Sorry we had ta step out professor, it was fer a good reason though." Jack said as the new team walked back into the class. He hesitated for a minute though, unsure if he should take a seat with his new teammates or not.
    "Yes, I know. Not a problem."

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Class

Not my fault he keeps trying to have me do his work.
    Tenebria protests, before trying to use her aura.
    Is... is that lightbulb flickering?
    Rokoran glances up at the light, then narrows his eyes slightly. They seem to glow a little more than usual and he slowly looks at Tenebria.

"So it's you that's doing that. Interesting."

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    [Meanwhile, in the Back of Rorokan's Classroom]
    Rev's pen scribbled notes diligently as the lecture carried on. While he appeared focused on the lesson, however, there was a conversation going on beneath the surface.

I told you they would pick Jack to fill in. He thought, a little smugly.

The Wolf snorted. They are fools, then.

What is your problem with him?

He is a rabbit, trying to run with wolves. It growled. He is a poor fit for that pack. The girl, at least, had the right spirit.

I think you're just focused on the 'rabbit' thing. So you consider the archer a 'wolf' as well, then?

He is a predator. The rabbit is prey.

He might surprise you, though. As Father's fond of saying, 'Man is more than even men know'. They'll fight soon enough, I'm sure. If you still think that afterwards, we'll have steak for dinner.

Raw?

No. He smiled slightly to himself as his turned the page in his notebook.
    Rokoran gives him a puzzled look. There's something funny going on, but he can't quite figure out what.

how long is this class?!
    Tenebria whispers to Rev
    Too long.

Shush.

"More than three pages' worth, at least. Five more minutes, I'd guess?"
    It better be. If that guy tries to look at my notes one more time, I'm getting my rifle.
    Tenebria growls as she blocks the shade's view with her wing.
    "Your rifle will not be required. All he can see is a blank page, I've made sure of that."

And indeed, there's a slight silver shimmer over her notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Rokoran's Classroom

Alexandra sighed before looking up at the clock. After seeing how long they had left she looked down at her hand as he classmates did their best to summon forth various effects with their Aura. Unfortunately unless it was for smashing something or defending herself she could barely get her Aura to react. Another sigh let itself loose from her lips as she decided to try again, despite the many times she had before. She closed her eyes like usual and did her best to summon forth her Aura.

She tried to produce something, anything like her classmates. Fire, water, lightning, heck she would even take dirt! Unfortunately the only thing that came forth was her Aura. It was visible to anyone looking at her. Unlike Kedra's it was concentrated and very powerful. It condensed around her providing a layered sheen to herself. If someone were to reach out and touch her they would find that though it was thin the sheen of Aura that surrounded her would prevent them from touching her directly! It was very powerful, yet to those with the correct senses they could also tell that it was currently very inflexible. Either way it might have been an impressive sight to those who were unaware of the power that the tall girl possessed.
    "Good. Enhanced protection. Strong, but rigid, so not much use if you need to be moving around. Try to work on making it more flexible."

And then the bell goes.

"Those of you who managed to produce an effect, work on improving it for next time. Those who didn't, try and get one. If you've got any questions or concerns, come and talk to me now. Hameth, I need to speak with you, so please stay here for a moment. Class dismissed!"
    Last edited by GrandDM; 2014-01-29 at 11:14 AM.
    Doctor Harald avatar by MethosH

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDM View Post

Meanwhile In Class

And then the bell goes.

"Those of you who managed to produce an effect, work on improving it for next time. Those who didn't, try and get one. If you've got any questions or concerns, come and talk to me now. Hameth, I need to speak with you, so please stay here for a moment. Class dismissed!"
    Hameth takes the precaution of striking out the "Research 'Mia'" line, then gathers up his stuff. Meanwhile, he's pulling his Aura in close and waiting for the opportunity to test how Rokoran sees. Once the professor turns his back (or is distracted by another's question), he will walk to conversation range as quickly and inconspicuously as he can, then ask the following question: I've always used my Aura to gain a tactical advantage over a purely physical one. Will we be working on gaining a physical advantage, or expanding and diversifying the tactical?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    [Meanwhile, in the Back of Rorokan's Classroom]
    Rev's pen scribbled notes diligently as the lecture carried on. While he appeared focused on the lesson, however, there was a conversation going on beneath the surface.

I told you they would pick Jack to fill in. He thought, a little smugly.

The Wolf snorted. They are fools, then.

What is your problem with him?

He is a rabbit, trying to run with wolves. It growled. He is a poor fit for that pack. The girl, at least, had the right spirit.

I think you're just focused on the 'rabbit' thing. So you consider the archer a 'wolf' as well, then?

He is a predator. The rabbit is prey.

He might surprise you, though. As Father's fond of saying, 'Man is more than even men know'. They'll fight soon enough, I'm sure. If you still think that afterwards, we'll have steak for dinner.

Raw?

No. He smiled slightly to himself as his turned the page in his notebook.

Jack's ears twitched slightly. Whether he heard something, or even if there was something to hear, it wasn't apparent. But the timing was a little too spot on.

End of Class

As people began filing out of class, Jack rushed up to his team leader.

"Say chief, since we're all on the same team now do ya mind if'n Ah move my stuff into y'all's room? It won't take more'n a lick ta do, Ah just want ta get settled afore somethin crazy happens." Jack asked.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post

Jack's ears twitched slightly. Whether he heard something, or even if there was something to hear, it wasn't apparent. But the timing was a little too spot on.

End of Class

As people began filing out of class, Jack rushed up to his team leader.

"Say chief, since we're all on the same team now do ya mind if'n Ah move my stuff into y'all's room? It won't take more'n a lick ta do, Ah just want ta get settled afore somethin crazy happens." Jack asked.
    "Of course. Rip will be glad not be the only guy in the room." She frowns as another thought comes up. "We'll put Falcon's stuff in my closet for the time being. I don't use it, anyway."
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-01-29 at 11:58 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    "What do you want us to do?" Clara asks quietly, cutting to the heart of the matter. "I don't back down from fights, but...sounds like whoever did this might interrupt my dearly-held addiction to living. What message, Professor?"

Clara, unlike many students, didn't mind Mogrym's lisp or his ways, really. When she's being honest with herself, Clara admits that part of that has to do with being one of his favorites. But, for the most part, it's simple respect. Clara got into fighting for fun - the first day she saw Mogrym, she recognized someone who got into it for a whole different reason. He was part of what inspired her to take Sanctum as an opportunity instead of just a prison.
    Mogrym sighs deeply, quickly aiming his gun at a harmless squirrel that had the misfortune of scurrying from one tree to another. He doesn't fire, but immediately after swears and laughs under his breath, before nervously chuckling at his jumpyness. He'sh back, children. There... wash a man called Conall Callahan, a faunush who was once a bright young shtudent. I had just graduating into the Hunter corpsh when he entered Shanctum, and I remember hearing great thingsh about him... He wash a leader of a fearsome team known as Carnage. He wash ruthlessh, shtrong, and dedicated, and many thought him to be a younger kind of me. However... after he graduated... there wash a terrible accident, and he remained the only member of hish team alive. He never fully recovered and became a public enemy. He sighs slowly, not quite liking still being here.

"Nadia saw the smoke, we came here, and saw the pile. Never a glimpse of any person. Or animal. Or Grimm."

He paused, his head turning back and forth a couple of times as he more obviously looked about them.

"Which is...still true. Shoot. The creepy continues."

Then Clara asked one of the two most important questions. Merah asked the other.

"Prof, you act like you know who did this. So...who was it? And...if this happened, so close to the school..."

Seriously it's less than 20 minutes at a good running clip, and easily visible from where they were.

"Don't you think we should, I dunno, warn someone?"
    He nods to Pangeran, now beginning to walk away from the site. Yesh... you... you're right. Come on, we need to get out of here. The return of shuch an enemy can hardly be a good omen.... You four need to come with me and have a talk with the Headmashter. I'm certain he'll want to organize a faculty shearch party to make sure he'sh not in the area anymore. We might need your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadev View Post
    I checked. There was no one else around here. At least no one within my sensing range.

Shen is getting somewhat nervous. Though Mogrym's presence is certainly helping with the sensation of the previous aura, his nervousness is somewhat contagious. It's not helping that everyone else is feeling it too. Shen tries to wall it off, but she's not totally successful in doing so, and it shows somewhat on her face.
    Mogrym begins quickly walking away, taking backward glances occasionally to make sure everyone was alright. That shtill meansh that he could be lurking somewhere out there... He'sh very dangeroush, and very powerful. But it'sh alright. There are more of ush then there are of him. Come on, hurry up.

[Deep Woods]

Nadia doesn't draw her weapons, but she's scanning the treeline like she plans to as Mogrym makes his assessment. When Merah speaks, she looks to him, making a few gestures.

Did warn someone. Not our responsibility now. Our responsibility to be careful.

She does turn to Mogrym, however.

Who was this?

The intensity of her eyes carries into her signage.
    (I really liked that song, kinda perfectly laid the mood of the scene.)

You head me, didn't you? He'll start running/jogging back to Sanctum.

"There was a 'horde rush' in a settlement called Silversheen. She and a partner attempted to break the tide, splitting up to protect the town while Rayne tried to find the horde's center. She was found dead after the Grimm retreated. I've looked it up. There's not much in the way of official reports, what with Rayne not being an active Huntress, but apparently she was found much further from the town than she should have been, in terrain that would have made for an ideal ambush. They must have used several feints to lure her into a trap: a slow, patient, clever trap. She probably never saw it coming until the trap closed around her."

"As I said, however, there is little in the way of solid evidence. Just unusual circumstances and her partner's rendition of events. There are no witnesses to her actual death, only the events leading up to it and then the discovery of her body, leaving me with little more than facts that don't add up and insinuations that don't bode well. If I were to push it with the evidence I have, I would be ignored as rationalizing a friend's death. I may well be, to be honest. I never was able to take the death of friends well."

((Fanon: Horde rushes, where Grimm assault a town en masse, were rare even in the bad times. Grimm don't like populated areas, which is why the setting is mostly crowded cities and wilderness. Small settlements simply aren't as safe, because Grimm don't work as hard to avoid them.))
    (We should probably hurry this scene to make way for the search party thing.)

Mogrym quietly contemplates all of this. Time's were certainly strange... The Mortemus boy monopolizing companies all over, the government infrastructure weakening along with the Hunter Corp. Grimm getting stronger and smarter. Thish ish... frightening and shtrange. Everything about thish is just... wrong. Out of place. Barlowe. There's forcesh at work all around ush. Can you feel it? I... feel a strange emotion in the air. A calm before a shtorm.... It might jusht be me... But, I dunno. Think of all of it? The hunter corpsh are shlowly becoming nothing more than artifactsh, and there'sh much fewer of them then before during the troubled timesh. The government is collapsing... There'sh whispersh of the return of... dark forcesh. It'sh.... hard to comprehend.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shen follows, glad to get out of the clearing. Though the news is worrying, Shen is confident in her teachers' ability to deal with this problem, even if they have to help.
    We heard a song, it went 'Twinkle twinkle little star...' What power! What wondrous power! You can take a billion trillion tons of flaming matter, a furnace of unimaginable strength, and turn it into a little song for children! You build little worlds, little stories, little shells around your minds and that keeps infinity at bay and allows you to wake up in the morning without screaming!
    -From Terry Pratchett's Hat Full of Sky

Amazing Harry Dresden avatar by Thormag

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tenebria leaves with her team member, walking with Rev as she leaves.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Mogrym quietly contemplates all of this. Time's were certainly strange... The Mortemus boy monopolizing companies all over, the government infrastructure weakening along with the Hunter Corp. Grimm getting stronger and smarter. Thish ish... frightening and shtrange. Everything about thish is just... wrong. Out of place. Barlowe. There's forcesh at work all around ush. Can you feel it? I... feel a strange emotion in the air. A calm before a shtorm.... It might jusht be me... But, I dunno. Think of all of it? The hunter corpsh are shlowly becoming nothing more than artifactsh, and there'sh much fewer of them then before during the troubled timesh. The government is collapsing... There'sh whispersh of the return of... dark forcesh. It'sh.... hard to comprehend.
    "Yes, well. When those 'dark forces' do return, they'll have to fetch up against our students. That's going to come as a nasty surprise. Now, my apologies for being abrupt, but I've got to go ensure that said nasty surprise is in our favor." He calls back into towards where Oswald is still toiling. "Thanks for helping me with the mess, Oswald. I owe you a drink. I've got to head off to class, now."
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Kitty sighed and gathered up her stuff as the bell rang. Her own aura was somewhat underdeveloped, so she hadn't managed to accomplish much. Still, she'd managed her semblance before, and she'll be able to do it again. Meanwhile, she moved to meet up with her team.

"Hey girls," she said. "After classes are over, you wanna hit the beach?"

----

Meanwhile, Mr. Lacuna had been let in, and was making his way to the forge....
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

[Leaving Rokoran's Lesson (for real this time)]

Once the bell sounds off the signal for class' end, Rip packs away his notebook and joins the rest of his team, quickly catching up and matching strides with them.
    "Of course. Rip will be glad not be the only guy in the room." She frowns as another thought comes up. "We'll put Falcon's stuff in my closet for the time being. I don't use it, anyway."
    "True that," he comments with an ever-so-slight hint of nerves. "One guy sharing a room with three girls? Much too unbalanced for my taste...I don't think I've ever been more afraid for my life on a regular basis, nor would I ever care to be again."

20. - Top - End - #140

Kitty sighed and gathered up her stuff as the bell rang. Her own aura was somewhat underdeveloped, so she hadn't managed to accomplish much. Still, she'd managed her semblance before, and she'll be able to do it again. Meanwhile, she moved to meet up with her team.

----

Sure, why not?
    Caelynn replies, walking with her team.
    how many classes are left, anyways?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    [Leaving Rokoran's Lesson (for real this time)]

Once the bell sounds off the signal for class' end, Rip packs away his notebook and joins the rest of his team, quickly catching up and matching strides with them.

"True that," he comments with an ever-so-slight hint of nerves. "One guy sharing a room with three girls? Much too unbalanced for my taste...I don't think I've ever been more afraid for my life on a regular basis, nor would I ever care to be again."
    Kaden laughs as they walk. Their path leads them out of the building into the open air. Yeah, this looks about right.

Kaden stops abruptly on the walkway. "Sorry, but we've gotta get one thing sorted before lunch, yeah? Jack, the Doc wants you to join the team? Fine by me, but there's one thing you've got to do first. Hit me. Doesn't have to be your best shot, don't want to mess up the grass and all, but make it a good one. Deal?"
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

22. - Top - End - #142

Tenebria can be found practicing her sniping skills nearby Team Kaiser.
    Team Sleipner may overhear her shots
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

----

Sure, why not?
    Caelynn replies, walking with her team.
    how many classes are left, anyways?
    Alexandra pulls out her schedule feeling a little better about the Aura class thanks to Rokoran's words about her attempt, and in doing so letting her know that refining that could be her homework. She looked at the schedule as she said, "Well girls first is lunch, thank god I'm starving, and then after that it Combat tactics, and pragmatism. Oh....This is dad's class. Well I can at least give you girls some warning. Dad is smart and cunning. He actually might throw in a practical so we can stretch our legs. Oh! If he does do that a word of advice, my dad isn't afraid to fight dirty....At all....Even against his own daughter.

As for that beach idea Kitty? That sounds heavenly right now. Not to mention fun and stress relieving. Should we invite some of the other teams?"

With her piece said Alexandra leads the way enthusiastically to the lunch room. After grabbing her tray and food, piled up high on top of each other, she starts digging in with gusto.
    Last edited by AnimeKid; 2014-01-29 at 05:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Alexandra pulls out her schedule feeling a little better about the Aura class thanks to Rokoran's words about her attempt, and in doing so letting her know that refining that could be her homework. She looked at the schedule as she said, "Well girls first is lunch, thank god I'm starving, and then after that it Combat tactics, and pragmatism. Oh....This is dad's class. Well I can at least give you girls some warning. Dad is smart and cunning. He actually might throw in a practical so we can stretch our legs. Oh! If he does do that a word of advice, my dad isn't afraid to fight dirty....At all....Even against his own daughter.

As for that beach idea Kitty? That sounds heavenly right now. Not to mention fun and stress relieving. Should we invite some of the other teams?"

With her piece said Alexandra leads the way enthusiastically to the lunch room. After grabbing her tray and food, piled up high on top of each other, she starts digging in with gusto.
    "Absolutely," said Kitty. "We can even have a volleyball match!"

Kitty stepped away for a moment to grab a whole shrimp, liver, and onion pizza with a white sauce, set on a bed of fries and onion rings, before rejoining her group.

"Speaking of family, my dad should be arriving soon with a shipment of metals for the forge. I might stop by and see him between classes."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

Caelynn grabs a cheezburger and fries.
    Really? I'll have to be wary then.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tenebria can be found practicing her sniping skills nearby Team Kaiser.
    Team Sleipner may overhear her shots
    Rip, of course, recognizes the resounding blast of a sniper rifle right away and turns to investigate. "I'll be along in a few," he tells Kaden and Jack. "Let's see what this is all about..." He slowly and cautiously approaches Tenebria, careful not to distract her; as a marksman himself, he knows to respect the concentration of a hunter, even during practice. Once he gets close enough, he'll notice that she's the same Faunus girl who was glowering at him from the back of the room during Rokoran's class.

As soon as she's done sniping, he'll comment, "Nice shooting...So, what's this? Trying to establish a pecking order among us marksmen?" Should she try to play it off, he'll add, "C'mon, don't be coy with me. You and I both know that there are a dozen better places for target practice around the campus...and yet, here you are, sounding off like it's a holiday just as I happen to pass. You telling me that you did this for any other reason than to try and show me up?"

27. - Top - End - #147

Rip, of course, recognizes the resounding blast of a sniper rifle right away and turns to investigate. "I'll be along in a few," he tells Kaden and Jack. "Let's see what this is all about..." He slowly and cautiously approaches Tenebria, careful not to distract her; as a marksman himself, he knows to respect the concentration of a hunter, even during practice. Once he gets close enough, he'll notice that she's the same Faunus girl who was glowering at him from the back of the room during Rokoran's class.

As soon as she's done sniping, he'll comment, "Nice shooting...So, what's this? Trying to establish a pecking order among us marksmen?" Should she try to play it off, he'll add, "C'mon, don't be coy with me. You and I both know that there are a dozen better places for target practice around the campus...and yet, here you are, sounding off like it's a holiday just as I happen to pass. You telling me that you did this for any other reason than to try and show me up?"
    Alright... spot wind direction, adjust to account for it... fire.
    Then she pulls the trigger, and a bulletins through a nearby tree, leaving a clean hole through it.
    Oh, it's you.
    No, actually. Though it is nice to know someone recognizes my superior skill.

She replied.
    Yes, I am.
    She replies caustically
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alright... spot wind direction, adjust to account for it... fire.
    Then she pulls the trigger, and a bulletins through a nearby tree, leaving a clean hole through it.
    Oh, it's you.
    No, actually. Though it is nice to know someone recognizes my superior skill.

She replied.
    Yes, I am.
    She replies caustically
    "It's me," Rip repeats questioningly. "What's that supposed to mean? What, am I a...a threat or something...? I don't think we've even met before..." As for her other dismissal, he asks, "OK, then why would you choose this place over the others?" Note that he doesn't comment on her "superior skill" remark; he knows next to nothing about her, so for all he knows, she could be spot-on.
    Last edited by ImpSyndrome; 2014-01-29 at 05:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

"It's me," Rip repeats questioningly. "What's that supposed to mean? What, am I a...a threat or something...? I don't think we've even met before..." As for her other dismissal, he asks, "OK, then why would you choose this place over the others?" Note that he doesn't comment on her "superior skill" remark; he knows next to nothing about her, so for all he knows, she could be spot-on.
    A rival.
    Tenebria simply replies, as she blasts a hole into a tree, showering splinters on the grass.
    Because it's close to the school, it's a great vantage point, and I'm facing a forest. Trees make pretty good targets.
    She replies as she aims at a leaf and fires, missing and hitting a leaf a couple inches nearby.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

A rival.
    Tenebria simply replies, as she blasts a hole into a tree, showering splinters on the grass.
    Because it's close to the school, it's a great vantage point, and I'm facing a forest. Trees make pretty good targets.
    She replies as she aims at a leaf and fires, missing and hitting a leaf a couple inches nearby.
    This girl is uncanny, both in her perception and in her short, neat mannerisms. "OK, first of all," Rip responds after taking a minute to compose his thoughts, "I can't imagine why you'd think that way if we haven't even met before. Second, I've got no interest in a rivalry or whatever. Third, there could be people in that forest, unless you've already checked on that." Which she probably did. "And fourth, trees also make good...well...trees...and I doubt the Academy will appreciate your blasting their trees into mulch."