New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb who like reach weapons

Hello everyone I'm new here and this is my first thread
    lets get started I made a half minotaur WITH A 25 FT REACH
    I tried to make this SRD as much as possible. This is what I did to make it happen.
    1. Half-minotaur then take the born large perk. the reason I did this instead of just using a normal minotaur is because normal minotaur is a LA 6 (I think) so large size with reach that's 10ft

2. monkey grip. use a weapon 1 size larger that's 15

3. glave weapon. that's 20

4. Cast enlarge weapon on command and V O LA 25 ft

other:
    1. going for the war hulk class
    2. took short haft feat so that I can attack at 10 feet away
    3. if your curious I took 3 levels in hex blade and 3 levels crusader ie I,m level 8 at the time of this wrighting
    4. my damage is 4D8 crit 20x3

So let me know what your thoughts are thanks

ONI

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: who like reach weapons

I believe you may be in the wrong forum. This be Homebrew territory!

That aside...25 foot reach is rather impressive.
    "Bro, don't you even cast?" Azar, Dwarven Cleric

"There is a treasure chest ahead. It behooves us to investigate it thoroughly" -Tear

"I can't even understand this boat" -PBG

"It seems that potatoes are beyond my ability to comprehend..." -Me

I draw things sometimes

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

This is the wrong forum for that.

Also, Born Large isn't a trait I'm able to find. Closest thing I could find was a "Born Big" on the DanD wiki, as a homebrew option. But Half-Minotaur makes you large size regardless, so that doesn't particularly matter.

Monkey Grip lets you wield a larger weapon, but reach weapons double your reach. They do not grant you reach based on weapon size. You can have a collossal weapon as a medium creature and still have 5ft reach. Just the way things work.

But then, the Glaive doubles reach rather than adding 5ft, so Half-Minotaur+Glaive gets you 20ft reach.

Cast Enlarge Weapon on command however, does not do anything. Because larger weapons still don't give you more reach.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

So much easier to get reach than that. Get a low LA race/template that makes you large for 5ft reach, take the feat from lords of madness (I think Inhuman Reach) to gain 10ft total reach. Get the magic spear from MIC that can be changed between a short spear/spear/long spear. Long spear gives you 20ft reach. Cast enlarge person and it'll be 30ft instead. A 3 level dip in warshaper adds 5 feet to base reach so you'll have 40ft reach. Burning Brand from ToB adds 5 feet to reach for a total of 50ft.

Remember that reach weapons double your reach, so basically every 5ft added to your reach is 10 feet with a reach weapon.

This is just stuff off the top of my head, so I could be wrong about some of it. Still, lots of options.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLycan View Post
    So much easier to get reach than that. Get a low LA race/template that makes you large for 5ft reach, take the feat from lords of madness (I think Inhuman Reach) to gain 10ft total reach. Get the magic spear from MIC that can be changed between a short spear/spear/long spear. Long spear gives you 20ft reach. Cast enlarge person and it'll be 30ft instead. A 3 level dip in warshaper adds 5 feet to base reach so you'll have 40ft reach. Burning Brand from ToB adds 5 feet to reach for a total of 50ft.

Remember that reach weapons double your reach, so basically every 5ft added to your reach is 10 feet with a reach weapon.

This is just stuff off the top of my head, so I could be wrong about some of it. Still, lots of options.
    So, what low LA race are you using that is both Large and still humanoid (to qualify for Aberration Blood and Enlarge Person)? The usual suspects are Giant/Monstrous Humanoid. In fact I can't think of any large Humanoid at any LA.

Also, you missed the Extended Reach feat from Savage Species. If you're using Inhuman Reach, Extended reach will boost that another 5ft. There's also the Willing Deformity from Heroes of Horror to add another 5ft.

There's also no need for that weird size changing spear, any reach weapon will be just as good. The go-to weapon for stuff like this is spiked chain.

So if you start off as a Human, add enlarge person. You are now large (10ft)
    Take Willing Deformity, +5ft (15ft)
    Take Inhuman Reach, +5ft (20ft)
    Take Extended Reach, +5ft (25ft)
    Take Warshaper, +5ft (30ft)
    Equip a reach weapon, x2 (60ft)

If you can find a 19th caster level Wu-Jen, you can go up to Colossal instead of Large, giving 30ft base reach. The rest of that then pushes it up to 50ft, 100ft with a reach weapon.

If there was a way to start off with a Large Humanoid that I'm just unaware of, then using Enlarge Person (to become huge) instead of Giant Size (much rarer and/or more expensive) can still get you up to 70ft reach.

Burning Brand only lasts "for the rest of your turn", generally if you're looking for lots of reach, it's because you want to extend your threatened area (otherwise you can include stuff like Lunge as well). It also has the side effect of making all of your damage for the round fire damage, which is usually going to be a bad thing (but can sometimes be beneficial). Either way, I prefer to just not count that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I do believe that character builds and the like belong in the D&D section of the forums, and, in this case, in the 3.5e/PF/d20 section.

When posting a character build, try listing your source whenever possible (SRD sources are less important, as they are more easily recognizable). Google will usually tell you where something is, but not always, and it's nice to know where to look.

The SRD has no trait (or feat, which is what I assume you mean by "perk") called Born Large, which is the only thing you mentioned that I hadn't heard of before.

So far as I can tell, Half Minotaurs do not get increased reach with their size change. Also, larger weapons do not have larger reach. That character would have the standard 10-foot reach granted by a glaive, and the restriction to only squares ten feet away.

There's a (iron heart) stance in the Tome of Battle that increases your reach by five feet on your turns.
    In Complete Arcane, the spell Giant Size can make you as large as Colossal, which increases your reach quite a lot.
    Jon Snow and Ghost avatar (not currently in use) by Gurgleflep 15370262 328.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    So, what low LA race are you using that is both Large and still humanoid (to qualify for Aberration Blood and Enlarge Person)? The usual suspects are Giant/Monstrous Humanoid. In fact I can't think of any large Humanoid at any LA.
    You're right, it was late and I was tired, not sure why I didn't think of that.

Burning Brand only lasts "for the rest of your turn", generally if you're looking for lots of reach, it's because you want to extend your threatened area. ((snip))
    Add burning brand to that and tard out and get whirlwind attack. What's that, like, 220ft diameter PBAoE? Make sure you use power attack and a 2h weapon. Take out vast armies in a single attack.

Kidding, of course. Everyone knows the folly that is WW attack.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLycan View Post
    You're right, it was late and I was tired, not sure why I didn't think of that.

Add burning brand to that and tard out and get whirlwind attack. What's that, like, 220ft diameter PBAoE? Make sure you use power attack and a 2h weapon. Take out vast armies in a single attack.

Kidding, of course. Everyone knows the folly that is WW attack.
    No need to use Whirlwind attack. Whirling property is +1 and lets you whirlwind attack 3/day. (Real trick is either finding a slashing weapon with inclusive reach, or finding a way to make a spiked chain count as a slashing weapon)

Bonus points if you also happen to find enough feats somewhere to take Knockback+Improved Bullrush, Improved Trip, and Shocktrooper. So as you whirlwind attack everything you get to knock everyone around basically wherever you want, including into each other (using Shocktrooper for its bullrush abilities instead of Reckless Charge for once, being able to knock enemies back with bull rush at an angle and knocking them into each other for fun tripping shenanigans).

Sure by the time it's all online it's horribly inefficient, but it is fun. Some quick math says a 110ft radius should include roughly 1500 5ft squares. Make of that what you will.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: who like reach weapons

Also, you missed the Extended Reach feat from Savage Species. If you're using Inhuman Reach, Extended reach will boost that another 5ft. There's also the Willing Deformity from Heroes of Horror to add another 5ft.

There's also no need for that weird size changing spear, any reach weapon will be just as good. The go-to weapon for stuff like this is spiked chain.

So if you start off as a Human, add enlarge person. You are now large (10ft)
    Take Willing Deformity, +5ft (15ft)
    Take Inhuman Reach, +5ft (20ft)
    Take Extended Reach, +5ft (25ft)
    Take Warshaper, +5ft (30ft)
    Equip a reach weapon, x2 (60ft)

If you can find a 19th caster level Wu-Jen, you can go up to Colossal instead of Large, giving 30ft base reach. The rest of that then pushes it up to 50ft, 100ft with a reach weapon.

If there was a way to start off with a Large Humanoid that I'm just unaware of, then using Enlarge Person (to become huge) instead of Giant Size (much rarer and/or more expensive) can still get you up to 70ft reach.

Burning Brand only lasts "for the rest of your turn", generally if you're looking for lots of reach, it's because you want to extend your threatened area (otherwise you can include stuff like Lunge as well). It also has the side effect of making all of your damage for the round fire damage, which is usually going to be a bad thing (but can sometimes be beneficial). Either way, I prefer to just not count that.
    thanks everyone for there input it helps out allot!! I will take all this into Consideration . some of these ideas don't really add up like
    Take Willing Deformity, +5ft (15ft) D&D tools states that Benefit

You gain a +3 bonus on Intimidate checks
    so IDK what is what??
    but if anyone has anymore suggestions please let me know

ONI

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by oniyasha View Post
    Hello everyone I'm new here and this is my first thread
    lets get started I made a half minotaur WITH A 25 FT REACH
    I tried to make this SRD as much as possible. This is what I did to make it happen.
    1. Half-minotaur then take the born large perk. the reason I did this instead of just using a normal minotaur is because normal minotaur is a LA 6 (I think) so large size with reach that's 10ft

2. monkey grip. use a weapon 1 size larger that's 15

3. glave weapon. that's 20

4. Cast enlarge weapon on command and V O LA 25 ft

other:
    1. going for the war hulk class
    2. took short haft feat so that I can attack at 10 feet away
    3. if your curious I took 3 levels in hex blade and 3 levels crusader ie I,m level 8 at the time of this wrighting
    4. my damage is 4D8 crit 20x3

So let me know what your thoughts are thanks

ONI
    Actually go with strongarm bracers+goliath with a huge spiked chain with the enchantment (or uncanny reach) feat with the deformity tall. 30ft reach and you can attack adjacent creatures. Then just go the dodge-mobility-spring attack-whirlwind route and hit everything in a 30 foot radius of you with your highest attack bonus.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Reach weapons suck for fighting in close. You can't hit adjacent targets and with reach 30 ft., you're even more screwed when adversaries close.

FYI, Reach is a function of the wielder's size and the weapon's special tags or lack thereof. It has absolutely nothing to do with the weapon's size. Monkey Grip doesn't give you extra reach.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread