New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World III

Thomas followed along with the incantation as the King provided it, his intonation and pacing flawless. His voice had an almost musical quality to it as he chanted, though his expression was one of calm, professional concentration.

But when it finished, and the field rolled away, and Von Geister, The Ghost King Of All Hollows once more put himself into the world?

Then Thomas fell to a single knee, his clenched fists supporting himself as he bowed his head and body in supplication.

"My King. I am humbled to have assisted you."

Behind him, Isabelle is in a similar position, though she elects to remain silent.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    A strange feeling - a mix of embarrassment, pride, and hope - washes over Satoshi as the people of his hometown see him off. He recognizes the faces of several former nay-sayers among them, individuals who had originally doubted his capability and mocked his decision to become a Shinigami. Seeing their change of heart lifts his spirits significantly, and he allows himself a small smile as he passes. When Cynthia approaches, he takes a knee as she presents him with a homemade keepsake. He humbly accepts the pendant and places it around his neck; now he can't help but crack a grin, and he gives her a big hug as he thanks her for the gift, promising to take good care of it.

After bidding his friends and well-wishers farewell, the newbie Shinigami continues on his way to Seireitei. After passing the Seireimon partition, he navigates the winding labyrinth of buildings to IntSec's territory, where he seeks out Urameshi to announce himself and receive further instructions...
    The veteran remains his dour-looking self, although he does crack a smile when Satoshi approaches.

"Heard you had your first kill out in the field. How are you feeling, kid?"
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #453
    Orc in the Playground

"I regret that I was not here to provide assistance. But I have been setting the groundwork for your conquest in Las Noches. It was almost too simple to infiltrate Las Noches. Yurius is a formidable opponent, but he has become too involved in his diplomatic measures. I would not make the mistake of considering him complacent, but he is but one 'man', as it were." Alexandra continues her bow, deferring completely to the being that had occupied her mind, made her what she is today.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

[Prison of the Ghost King]

"Your work has been peerless Thomas my boy, you will surely be glad of how our work will proceed now."

"As for you Alexandra. None of this would have been possible without your tireless efforts. That these final proceedings had no work for you to undertake directly is a disservice, but even then you took up work elsewhere, such diligence."

"But now, let us go from this place so that I may bask once more take in the airs of a wholesome world. I have been in this timeless pit for far too long."

A bony finger trails the air, taking delight in the simple act of opening a garganta. And just like that, Von Geister is off, leaving a path to be followed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    Commander-General's office

As the feed goes dark, Li grabs a Reiphone and leaves the office. As Koutarou is absent, the Commander stops at the Duty Officer's desk. "Sound an announcement. We'll be on highest alert until location of the Ghost King has been discerned. Send word to Recon and tell the to focus all patrols on Japan. Recall all possible Combat Division members from Rukongai, leave behind only a skeleton crew to keep the peacekeeping project running. We're preparing for attack." Then, the Commander leaves for the Central Hospital. Li has an operation to undergo.

All things considered, the situation leaves a lot hope for. Masaru still hasn't completed his training, and Koutarou stubbornly left for Hueco Mundo to train in solitude. What the Vice-Commander hopes to find there is unknown to Li, as there has been nothing in that area for 50 years, ever since the Menos performed their vanishing trick. Things aren't really to a good start when the two persons who would be most suited to spear-heading a charge into the Cult's headquarters are not present.

It might be time to deploy alternative measures. But first, a new leg.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

6. - Top - End - #456
    Orc in the Playground

To his merit, Koutarou did leave an "emergency button", such as it was, something to allow Li to get in touch with him at a moment's notice, if necessary.

How quick he would be to respond remains to be seen, of course...
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2014-04-20 at 05:01 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    The veteran remains his dour-looking self, although he does crack a smile when Satoshi approaches.

"Heard you had your first kill out in the field. How are you feeling, kid?"
    That smile makes Satoshi a bit uneasy; it's the kind of expression that makes him think that his superior has something devious planned for him, possibly along the lines of the Tsuchigumo fight. The thought sobers him to a degree, mixing a subtle tone of insecurity into what would have been a reply filled with relief and satisfaction. "It was a hard fight, but I'm still alive, somehow...I'm just glad I could keep my hometown safe. It was weird, though: I didn't think I had the kinds of abilities that I used back there...at least not to the degree that I used them."

8. - Top - End - #458
    Orc in the Playground

"Shinigami training will do that to ya. I'm just glad you weren't too busy shaking in your boots to remember it.

Normally our recruits don't get their feet wet in that fashion. We try to make the circunstances controlled enough to allow them to get rid of the fear and nervousness that comes with setting foot on the battlefield for the first time.

You performed admirably, Satoshi. You actually killed your first Hollow unarmed and by your lonesome.

I'll be looking forward to such performance in the future. Don't you dare disappoint me, soldier."

Urameshi offers a quick salute to his recruit.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #459
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    "Shinigami training will do that to ya. I'm just glad you weren't too busy shaking in your boots to remember it.

Normally our recruits don't get their feet wet in that fashion. We try to make the circunstances controlled enough to allow them to get rid of the fear and nervousness that comes with setting foot on the battlefield for the first time.

You performed admirably, Satoshi. You actually killed your first Hollow unarmed and by your lonesome.

I'll be looking forward to such performance in the future. Don't you dare disappoint me, soldier."

Urameshi offers a quick salute to his recruit.
    Urameshi's follow-up carries a different tone than what Satoshi expected, and it makes him think twice about the experience. Not only had he fought his first battle and won, but just as Urameshi (and Usui before him) said, he had done so without his zanpakuto and with no adjacent support, and he still hadn't hesitated, despite facing an enemy about which he had known next to nothing. Any other course of action might have resulted in casualties among the townspeople, and placing himself in jeopardy for their sake was a bold decision that he should not casually dismiss.

Satoshi keeps this in mind as he salutes his superior officer in return, saying, "I won't let you down, sensei."

((Again, I’m not sure what will come next, so I’ll leave it up to you.))

10. - Top - End - #460
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Jehoel, silent since Mikael's arrival, quickly takes an interest in Tamaki's story. He leans forward, an avaricious curiosity entering his eyes.

"Fascinating..."
    Tamaki eyes glide over to Jehoel's form from the book he was reading after hearing him say that singular word. Tamaki figured that Jehoel might have seen it all. But from the sound of it this was something that intrigued him greatly.

"Excuse me Jehoel-san, but do you know something of the phenomena that I experienced? Or is this the first time you've heard of it?

11. - Top - End - #461
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jehoel nods.

"I can think of a few possibilities, but I cannot be entirely sure. Regardless, it is a fascinating and extremely rare occurrence that anything like that could happen. You have the potential to become a very interesting individual indeed, Tamaki. That is not something I say lightly."

He pauses for a moment.

"Tell me, would you like my aid in developing that potential? It would be...difficult, but I can guarantee results."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Jehoel nods.

"I can think of a few possibilities, but I cannot be entirely sure. Regardless, it is a fascinating and extremely rare occurrence that anything like that could happen. You have the potential to become a very interesting individual indeed, Tamaki. That is not something I say lightly."

He pauses for a moment.

"Tell me, would you like my aid in developing that potential? It would be...difficult, but I can guarantee results."
    Tamaki looks at Jehoel very seriously as he considers his words and proposal. Slightly tilting his head and closing his eyes his brought a hand up to his head so that he could have a finger tap against his temple in a steady rhythm. He thought about what Jehoel said. He could definitely tell that his experience was not something normal, and that it could have some other effects on him than just his powers. Plus there was something else. The air here, just being here was having an effect on him. It didn't feel bad, actually it felt rather good. Like he and his powers are being supercharged. Jehoel might have some insights that he himself couldn't have. Plus while the training would be difficult it could be his only chance.

Stopping his tapping and opening his eyes Tamaki nodded to himself before looking at Jehoel. "I think I would like that Jehoel-san. I believe it would be prudent considering my situation."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

Later, elsewhere:

[Soul Society]
    Chambers of the Central 46, parliament of Soul Society

"... you ask permission to build more of these things? This is very uncharasteristic of you, Zheng Li Lin", a masked figure states from his seat. "I thought the peace with Hollows would mean less need for weapons, not more."

"This is not just about the Hollows", a figure in commander's haori answers. "Though I have to correct you. We are not in peace with Hollows, we are in peace with Las Noches. As I showed earlier, there are still parties outside their city who wish us ill. But I'm more concerned of humans." Zheng Li Lin flips a new picture slide to the fore.

"Previously Soul Society has not been part of the nuclear deterrence policy of Earth. However, our non-participation as well as our traditional non-interference policy were both based on the presumption of human ignorance. For the last two centuries, we've been thinking that humans with knowledge of the spiritual world are both few in numbers and unorganized." Li takes in a deep breath. "Sadly, both of these premises have been proven false. We have greatly underestimated the effects of increases in human population. As evidenced by a cult worshipping Hollows as well as the numerous Quincy factions that have been unearthed within the last few months, the number, power and organization of human mediums is greater than it has ever been before. Hence we have to seriously reconsider the implications of human technology being used against Soul Society."

A low murmur fills the great hall as the divinely-empowered representatives discuss with each other. Finally, one of them, a woman this time, speaks: "Your words carry a heavy truth in them. However, why nuclear weapons? Why do spiritual weapons not suffice?"

Li frowns. "The Shakonmaku and the Sokyoku, along with the new railgun system, are more than enough to protect Seireitei. However, they are both non-transportable and can not be used against earthly targets. We can't create a credible deterrence with defense alone, we need offense. Nuclear weapons don't have these setbacks, and they have the benefit of being a known quantity to humans of Earth. They know what they are and what they can do."

"But doesn't this policy, by necessity, require breaking of Gotei's non-interference and non-disclosure policy towards humans?", the man from before asks.

"At least partially, yes", Li replies. "Some of the Quincies already demand us to treat them as a sovereign nation as pertains to spiritual matters. You have already reviewed their accord. As I understand it, accepting that treaty practically mean we sanction extra-legal actions for a human party, such as ownership of military-grade weapons, in direct violation of laws of their own human nation. This creates an uncomfortable precedent of us exerting authority over human affairs. To keep our actions on a sound legal and logical basis, the rational next step would be to formally establish connection with human national leaders and explain the situation to them."

"But wouldn't direct contact with human politicians also increase the risks of humans taking political actions against us?", a third council member asks.

"The risks of not telling them are far greater. We already so many rogue human factions interfering with the spiritual world that it's reasonable to assume at least some of them are leeching off resources from national bodies. Filling them in at least creates possibility of human self-regulation."

"So you're basically hoping they themselves will hunt down or keep in check problematic mediums", the first man states more than asks.

Li nods.

"Hold on. Why can't we just treat them as Substitutes? Isn't that what you suggested in the case of Arrancars?"

Li sighs. "Subsitution of humans has always been a contentious issue. There are many reasons why treating Arrancars born from Menos as such is much simpler, than granting those rights and responsibilities to human. For one, Arrancars are already dead. Their primary residence and area of influence is in Hueco Mundo, not Earth. For two, they exists outside influence of karma. They can't be condemned to Hell for things they do in their role as Substitutes. For three, there were no complications or contradictions with existing Arrancar laws, because prior to founding of Las Noches, there was no such thing." Li brings in another slide. "Meanwhile, Substitution of humans puts them in an ambivalent position both before human and metaphysical laws. Even at its simplest, its akin to handing weapons to civilians. History has shown that human substitutes are very prone to using their powers for selfish or 'heroic' purposes, going outside or even against their duties as Shinigami. Using spiritual powers to gain unfair advantage during a mortal life is the primary reason why Substitution has been outlawed at our end multiple times throughout history. The only way that advantage, and thus incentive to seek it, can be removed is by human nations incorporating spiritual powers into their legal systems."

"... but won't that lead to increased use of spiritual powers and technology on Earth?"

"Probably, yes. Speed of human technological development and the attempts by Quincies to marry spiritual powers with contemporary human weapons both suggest Earth would equal or surpass Soul Society in that regard in just half a century."

"But Earth doesn't have enough Reishi to support such levels! Where would they get that?"

"... from us, most likely."

"I don't think that is the issue here. I'm more concerned about human attitudes towards death. Once they know for fact that life up here isn't much different from what they have down there, they will put the pressure on us to make things better."

"That is not the only option. As I pointed out earlier, human medicine is already approaching the point where biological immortality becomes feasible. If we allow them secrets of spiritual longevity, it may be they simply decide not to die."

"But won't that ruin balance of souls between worlds?"

"We don't know the answer to that yet. In the long run, possibly."

Behind their masks, the council members glance at each other nervously. "And you said Royal Guard member Kisaragi Saruhiko shares these concerns?"

Li nods. "The concerns, yes, though not my suggested solutions to them."

The woman clear her throat. "What are the alternatives?"

"I'm glad you asked", Li says with a smile, and rolls open an age-old scroll of parchment. "The alternative to confiding leaders of Earth in spiritual affairs, is repetition of Project Fury from few centuries back. Since we can't allow existence of this many spiritually powered people on Earth, we will simply... move them into afterlife, where they can be properly equipped and indoctrinated."

"You're referring to the extermination of the Wiesweide", the masked man snorts. "So basically we round them together and kill them all."

"That is correct."

The woman sighs. "We will have to think on this."

Li bows respectfully. "I will leave the decision in your capable hands." With those words, the Commander packs the paraphernalia for the presentation and makes an exit.

---

[Soul Society]
    Main Senkaimon park

Walking with hands behind back, Li strolls through the transformed Senkaimon yard. The giant oak and the trees from Aokigahara look like they've always been there, even though just a few months ago there was still stone and concrete in their place. The grass between the trees is a bit downtrodden, though, as hundreds of Shinigami feet have stampeded over it within the last weeks in preparation of operations to come. Now at night, it is rather peaceful, fortunately. It's a good time for the Commander to take some time off from managing a warmachine and just enjoy the feeling of walking unaided. The new prosthetic provided by Takenaka Chouko is working like a charm. In some ways, it is superior to Li's remaining flesh-and-blood leg.

If things just could go on this way. The Commander's eyes glaze as Li reminiscences upon the fifty years of peace and career as an academy teacher. It would've been such a good ending to a long life, to retire knowing the conflict was over. After more than a thousand years of the world perpetually being at the brink of destruction, the calm would've deserved to last at least as long.

But it seems it was nothing but wishful thinking. Old eyes had been unable to see the smoldering spark hidden under the leaves. And now, Li has recommended the leaders of this world to fight fire with fire. Li's younger self would've been ashamed of that. Is there any principle left, really, that Li has not betrayed?

Oh well. Duty calls. With some hope, that disgusting Cult can be brought to justice before Central 46 makes its decision. Sighing, the Commander begins briskly walking towards the HQ barracks.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    [Soul Society]
    Main Senkaimon park

Walking with hands behind back, Li strolls through the transformed Senkaimon yard. The giant oak and the trees from Aokigahara look like they've always been there, even though just a few months ago there was still stone and concrete in their place. The grass between the trees is a bit downtrodden, though, as hundreds of Shinigami feet have stampeded over it within the last weeks in preparation of operations to come. Now at night, it is rather peaceful, fortunately. It's a good time for the Commander to take some time off from managing a warmachine and just enjoy the feeling of walking unaided. The new prosthetic provided by Takenaka Chouko is working like a charm. In some ways, it is superior to Li's remaining flesh-and-blood leg.

If things just could go on this way. The Commander's eyes glaze as Li reminiscences upon the fifty years of peace and career as an academy teacher. It would've been such a good ending to a long life, to retire knowing the conflict was over. After more than a thousand years of the world perpetually being at the brink of destruction, the calm would've deserved to last at least as long.

But it seems it was nothing but wishful thinking. Old eyes had been unable to see the smoldering spark hidden under the leaves. And now, Li has recommended the leaders of this world to fight fire with fire. Li's younger self would've been ashamed of that. Is there any principle left, really, that Li has not betrayed?

Oh well. Duty calls. With some hope, that disgusting Cult can be brought to justice before Central 46 makes its decision. Sighing, the Commander begins briskly walking towards the HQ barracks.
    "You leave a dangerous and troubled Soul Society behind with rhetoric like you showed back there." Saruhiko offers as he slowly materializes next to the weathered Commander Captain. "Is this the legacy of the Third Commander Captain? Executing humans for what they might do, not what they have done?"

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

Li raises an eyebrow in surprise and turns to look at who's speaking, then slows down to a pace more suited for discussion. "No, this is very much about what they have done, Kisaragi-dono", Li replies sadly. "What you were concerned of has happened. We have two human groups of unprecedented power and hostility after our heads. We can't leave them alone, because they won't leave us alone. It's only a matter of time before they drag in sovereign nations of Earth, if they have not already." Li stops to admire some flowers planted outside Black Dragon Gate.

"Though I must note it is a bit thick for you, of all people, to criticize that proposal, nevermind that it has not been accepted yet. You yourself said: your kind are to us, what our kind is to humans. We limit our presence on Earth for a reason, like you limit yours in Soul Society. The existence of spirits on Earth harms the very fabric of reality" Li kneels to smell the flower, sighing when standing up.

"And when humans rise to our levels, they cause the same harm as we do. It is a sin for Shinigami to meddle in affairs of men, but just as well it is a sin for spiritual powers to exist on Earth. We can't have our cake and eat it too. We can't look away and pretend to maintain balance while allowing humans to ruin it. It's now time for Central 46 to decide which is the lesser evil."

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Li raises an eyebrow in surprise and turns to look at who's speaking, then slows down to a pace more suited for discussion. "No, this is very much about what they have done, Kisaragi-dono", Li replies sadly. "What you were concerned of has happened. We have two human groups of unprecedented power and hostility after our heads. We can't leave them alone, because they won't leave us alone. It's only a matter of time before they drag in sovereign nations of Earth, if they have not already." Li stops to admire some flowers planted outside Black Dragon Gate.

"Though I must note it is a bit thick for you, of all people, to criticize that proposal, nevermind that it has not been accepted yet. You yourself said: your kind are to us, what our kind is to humans. We limit our presence on Earth for a reason, like you limit yours in Soul Society. The existence of spirits on Earth harms the very fabric of reality" Li kneels to smell the flower, sighing when standing up.

"And when humans rise to our levels, they cause the same harm as we do. It is a sin for Shinigami to meddle in affairs of men, but just as well it is a sin for spiritual powers to exist on Earth. We can't have our cake and eat it too. We can't look away and pretend to maintain balance while allowing humans to ruin it. It's now time for Central 46 to decide which is the lesser evil."
    "Perhaps it is so but as we of the Royal Guard do not look down on the mortal world...it is time for you to do the same. I am certain we will continue this discussion for some time to come. Have you made your preparations Commander Captain? It is almost time for us to leave." Saruhiko glances up at the sky, worrying his hands slightly before fixing the aged Shinigami with his soft gaze. "It is unlikely you will be returning any time soon."

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

"us?" Li blinks in surprise, then sighs. "Ah yes. I thought this day would come again. Except this time, I'm not allowed to decline, am I?" Li looks up at the sky. "... yes, I've made my preparations. Been making them ever since that incident with Sabitsura. I've been expecting to leave this world for a long while now, just... not like this. I thought I'd be killed by Sabitsura, or Izanami, or Yurius. Heaven knows they had their chances." Li turns to look at the direction of the Central Hospital. "Can I take someone with me?"

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

"us?" Li blinks in surprise, then sighs. "Ah yes. I thought this day would come again. Except this time, I'm not allowed to decline, am I?" Li looks up at the sky. "... yes, I've made my preparations. Been making them ever since that incident with Sabitsura. I've been expecting to leave this world for a long while now, just... not like this. I thought I'd be killed by Sabitsura, or Izanami, or Yurius. Heaven knows they had their chances." Li turns to look at the direction of the Central Hospital. "Can I take someone with me?"
    "I'm afraid not." Saruhiko offers with a slight bow as if to excuse himself from the whole ordeal. "You go to a better place, a more peaceful place where Arrancar and Quincy and mortal issues will not be something to bother with. I suspect you'll find it boring." he chuckles softly. "You are permitted to take someone if you wish. You will find my quarters easily accommodating to what ever you desire."

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

"It's not going that bothers me. I'm just sad that in the end, the only one I could save was myself." Li sighs heavily. A thousand years of life. Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of peers, pupils and underlings. All of whom Li had tried to teach, tried to make them learn from Li's mistakes, only to see them fail and fall down...

"It wasn't me who was supposed to learn, to survive and persists all these aeons. A parent should die before their children, a teacher should live to see their students surpass them. But I suppose I'll have to leave that behind me now." Li looks at the ground, shaking Li's head.

"... I'll meet you at the Senkaimon park in an hour."

---

Fifteen minutes later, Central Hospital

There's a knock on Nanoha Shigure's office door, and when called, an intern peeks in. "Nanoha-sama? The Commander-General is here to see you."

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's not going that bothers me. I'm just sad that in the end, the only one I could save was myself." Li sighs heavily. A thousand years of life. Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of peers, pupils and underlings. All of whom Li had tried to teach, tried to make them learn from Li's mistakes, only to see them fail and fall down...

"It wasn't me who was supposed to learn, to survive and persists all these aeons. A parent should die before their children, a teacher should live to see their students surpass them. But I suppose I'll have to leave that behind me now." Li looks at the ground, shaking Li's head.

"... I'll meet you at the Senkaimon park in an hour."

---

Fifteen minutes later, Central Hospital

There's a knock on Nanoha Shigure's office door, and when called, an intern peeks in. "Nanoha-sama? The Commander-General is here to see you."
    "Life is never easy or what we expect." Saruhiko sighs, letting the age Captain walk off.

- - -

Nanoha Shigure looks up from his work, still not taking it easier even after his demotion from Vice Captain. Some time in the mortal world had helped but here he was, hard at work on stacks of paperwork still held over from his previous job. He frowns at the words, moving to slowly pour some tea as Li steps in. "Honored Grandmother, it's been some time since your promotion. Come to slum it with us doctors?" he offers, trying his best to keep up some vague appearance of not working himself into the ground.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

Ignoring the tea, Li walks to Shigure and hugs him. After a moment, the Commander lets go and looks him in the eyes. "Do you still smoke? I recall you were aiming to get a leave of absence for ill health", Li jokes. "How about full retirement? Starting now?"

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Ignoring the tea, Li walks to Shigure and hugs him. After a moment, the Commander lets go and looks him in the eyes. "Do you still smoke? I recall you were aiming to get a leave of absence for ill health", Li jokes. "How about full retirement? Starting now?"
    "This is most unorthodox." The surprised Shinigami coughs, gently patting the elderly Captain's back though doesn't pull away. "Oh I see, you came to the hospital because you're unwell. Take a seat and I'll find you an anti-psychotic!" Shigure offers, laughing a little as he tries to move Li to arms length, keeping a firm hold on her shoulders. "That's what this is about right? Shinigami...don't retire."

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

"I've been reoffered a position in the Royal Guard", Li explains and steps back, making a small pirouette on the leg that used to be injured. "I'm fixed up now, so I see no reason to refuse. But I'd like to have someone to drink tea with me on guard duty. Are you interested? I promise it's going to be less taxing than your work here."

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've been reoffered a position in the Royal Guard", Li explains and steps back, making a small pirouette on the leg that used to be injured. "I'm fixed up now, so I see no reason to refuse. But I'd like to have someone to drink tea with me on guard duty. Are you interested? I promise it's going to be less taxing than your work here."
    "I am very happy for y-" Shigure starts though goes silent at the offer. "If that is your desire honored Grandmother. I suppose it's an hour I shouldn't decline if they'd let a ruffian in like me. When do we leave?"

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

Li gives Shigure an apologizing look. "I think I said 'starting now'. I'm sorry to be this sudden, it's just... never mind. You don't have to come if you don't want to, Shigure. But our guide will be waiting for us at Black Dragon Gate in 40 minutes."

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Li gives Shigure an apologizing look. "I think I said 'starting now'. I'm sorry to be this sudden, it's just... never mind. You don't have to come if you don't want to, Shigure. But our guide will be waiting for us at Black Dragon Gate in 40 minutes."
    "Just thought that was a little bit of hyperbole." Shigure chuckles, shrugging a little as he sets his zanpakuto down onto his work desk. "We both know that you couldn't do anything without me, your number one Vice Captain. I guess we'll meet up there then. Should pack some things an say some good byes. Assume you've already got that covered."

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Li smiles. "Almost, Shigure. Almost." Li leaves him to his preparations, then walks to the lobby hall. Li tells the duty officer to send a word to Vice-Commander Koutarou, then, when duty officer's attention is elsewhere, takes off the Commander's haori and hangs it on the lobby coat rack. When the officer next looks around for Li, the elder is already gone.

On the way to Black Dragon Gate, Li thinks. Saruhiko had said the King does not care for lesser worlds, but maybe there's a way to change that. Shigure once said love, the ability to care for and feel compassion for others, is the greatest strenght Shinigami can have. Maybe that is the key. One day, Li knows they will both be absorbed back to the King. It's a long shot, but maybe, just maybe if their hearts are pure and their conviction strong enough, some inkling of their compassion will be inherited to that being. Maybe then, it will wake from its sleep and turn back to the world to see how its children are suffering.

Li nods at Saruhiko at the place of meeting. "I'm ready. Nanoha Shigure will come with me", the aged spirit says, casting one last look at the buildings they once helped to make and maintain. "Let's go."

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Saruhiko waits patiently, time hardly something it had to worry about. He stands slowly when Li returns, offering only a single nod. "As you wish. I will wait here but you may go on ahead. Prepare your palace accordingly." He waves a hand, a large red torii falling from the light blue sky before a passage of bamboo and shrines opens forth. "Welcome to the Royal Guard, Green Dragon Li."

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

Said Dragon bows, then steps through the gate.

Gotei will have to find itself a new Commander-General again.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Las Noches, Outer City Ring Border of Art and Education Districts; After 3 Months Have Passed]

At the border of the Art and Education districts, there is a new business place that has taken the area by storm. It was a one-stop-shop for those needing anything worked in metal, decorative or utilitarian.
    Weapons, armor, tools, furniture, jewelry, and other, more esoteric items.

The large man that ran the shop did it all, and did it with a broad smile on his face.

Today he could be found working at the forge on one side of the building, which featured a large space open to the street, to not only promote airflow, but also allow passer-by to see what was going on.

Specifically, today he was teaching a group of four smaller (not that that was hard with his bulk) Arrancar how to create basic swords.

"The key is in how you work with the metal once it's hot. If, like in our case, you're starting with high-quality steel but in a sheet or bar format, you want it to get red hot but not white-hot, and almost immediately start working it. Like so!"

His hammering on the red-hot rod of steel in front of him only barely exceeded the boom of his voice...