New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World III

As the challenger grapples the defender again, more of the snake apparitions form around it, slithering through the air and trying to find their way into his body through the eyeholes of his mask, his mouth, or any wounds caused by the battle. They are not attacks, rather they are slivers of the defender's Reiryoku, summoned forth by the challengers attempts to drain it.

Meanwhile, the defender sees no point in wasting its breath to reply. Instead, it redoubles its efforts to fight against him. The lack of structure in his arms and snakeheads turns out to be a hindrance this time, as they're too flexible to completely restrain the defender. The defender resumes punching, kicking and biting the challenger, even as its increased bodyheat causes its remaining clothes to combust and the bones in its arms start to fractrure from the strain.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Orc in the Playground

[Las Noches]
    (Tercera District)

While the challenger flinches at the blows... he doesn't let go, continuing the absorption process until the defender passes out, dies, or burns away, steadily increasing pressure as the snakes constrict and coil.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

The defender keeps fighting back. The snakes that make up its hair bite the challenger's appendages, their venom hideously painful if their fangs pierce their skin. Likewise, its main mouth bites hard around the challenger's right arm, its teeth sharp as diamond and tough as steel, backed by jaws with the strenght of a hydraulic press. But, while it might injure its opponent, its own body is well past its point of return. As the battle continues, its whole body combusts, burning up in bright blue flames and turning to ash.

By that point, the air is teeming with the snake apparitions, as they whirl around the challenger and get absorbed by his body.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Soul Society]
    [Combat Division - Masaru's Office]
    Masaru gave Waltz his full attention, only looking to other items when presented with example drawings or the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    [Soul Society]
    (Masaru's Office)

Waltz has a seat. "Also in the suitcase are compiled notes for several of your requests. On the more extreme end of the spectrum of effective communication, there is implanting chips that respond to brain impulses and voice commands, but it is experimental and invasive. There are several more simple solutions, such as the communications node you suggested, but of course, we can make something much less... 'bulky' as you put it, but with durability in mind. Koutetsu-fukutaichou may be called in to consult, due to his tenure in recon. And I am sure a representative from the division would also be interested in hearing of better communication."

He pauses, allowing Masaru to look through the radio designs. "From there, nonlethal supplements are easy. There's an effective design for a taser gauntlet in the second folder. It is more efficient if the user has a degree of spiritual power, but naturally, it can be given its own power source, but they will need recharging."

Another pause. "As polite as I can put it, creating a communications infrastructure is not a currently feasible prospect. There are higher priorities, like terraforming and adapting and repairing our systems for the... sudden shift."

He doesn't pause before moving onto the next point. "And the laptop provided also comes with your choice of a more practical desk-mounted paper scanner, or an automated device." He pulls out a small orb with a camera lens that looks like a floating eye, and activates it. The orb sparks to life, then floats around Masaru's desk, lighting up every so often as it scans documents strewn across the surface. It doesn't stop there, either. Shelves, coffee tables, the floor, anywhere there is paper, it will go.

"Those 'droids' actively scan any incoming paper, they have arms for opening letters and will send the scans wirelessly to your laptop in several copies, including an email, which Takenaka-taichou has graciously set up for you. Naturally, however, you are free to decline for the less ambulatory option." With a click of a device in its hand, the scanbot floats back to Waltz and powers down.

"So, what do you have to say? Brother?"
    Masaru finished looking over the notes for radios before answering.

"Hm. We'll table the chip implant idea for the moment, at least for implementation in our Division. I would say my main three goals are durability, reliability, and efficiency. I want an option that can stand up to being carried on an active soldier's person, that can reliably contact a "node" or HQ station in range, and that has a long operating life. I am willing to sacrifice versatility of "extra features", and to a degree, aesthetics. I"m sure we can discuss the nitty-gritty details in a future meeting.

The point about including Recon in this discussion is very right, and I feel badly that I did not think of it myself. Please see about arranging an appointment between one of their officers, myself, and either you, one of your siblings, Chouko, or another representative of Engineer Corps. You can set up the appointment with my assistant, Junior Officer Suou Nicole. She is out on a few errands at the moment.
    Actually, I would place a request for her to be given a similar work setup to myself, pending her own approval of the idea.

I am actually intrigued by the independent scanner droid option. Perhaps we can arrange for a trial for a couple of weeks? If that solution proves incompatible we can move back to the option of a non-ambulatory desk scanner.

Hm. Taser gauntlet...yes, that sounds like a strong possibility, assuming we can get it approved by the lawmakers for long-term use. And yes, we'd need an option for those not innately granted powers. Also, options for simple, fairly light, but still durable body armor for those same officers of the peace.

As for the feasibility of infrastructure in general, that is fine. It was more the case of a desire to "get it on the table" sooner rather than later, more than a specific desire to get it done now, now now. Repairs, adaptation, and terraforming take precedence. That said, hopefully raising the idea now means that future developments, post-terraforming, may perhaps carry a greater consciousness of the need for more advanced infrastructure of all kinds.

I believe that covers all matters necessary at this time. Unless you have further inquiries of your own, Brother Waltz?
    "

There's a bit of a twinkle in the warrior's eyes as he speaks that title for the android in front of him.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2014-08-29 at 01:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Masaru's Office)

Waltz shakes his head. He can't really smile at Masaru's reference to him, but he gives an awkward thumbs-up.

"No, I believe that will do. The options are there, I am the messenger. Takenaka-taichou has delegated some duties to us, but we are still... young, in a manner of speaking." He stands, and bows, placing the scanbot and the remote control unit on Masaru's desk.

"Do have a pleasant... ballin' day. Bro." With that, disregarding further inquiry, Waltz makes his way back to engineering.

[Las Noches]
    (Tercera District)

The hollow's scales have, of yet, proven quite resistant to damage and combustion. However, everything has its limits. He snarls in pain, the front of his body charred black as he looks around for signs of trickery. While it might seem like he pays no heed to the snakelike manifestations.... he idly charges a cero in his clawed palm, discharging it upwards if nothing else happens, and expending the excess energy he's been absorbing. After all, this was a trick he had for a while, and hollows with poisonous reiatsu weren't unheard of.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ettin in the Playground

[Hueco Mundo; Tercera District of Las Noches]

For a moment, the ethereal snakes cling to challenger's body and he can feel a strange sensation. It's like there's someone else inside his head, looking out through his eyes. "Hmmm. It seems you have bested us. We congratulate you. For a moment, we thought you didn't have it in you." Briefly, he has a strange vision overlapping with the present reality, as if watching Earth from high orbit. Then, his cero fires and the pressure disperses the snakes, sending them floating to random directions. The defender's Reiatsu fades away and so does the voice inside his head. Only thing left of the defender is a pile of ash on the ground.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Orc in the Playground

[Las Noches]
    (Tercera District)

The hollow challenger exhales irritably as he heals from the battle, looking upward to Turiel. "It is over. Where is the Tercera?"
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    Internal Security

"Okay." Miss Suou smiles. "Thank you, sir." That was pretty much the answer she was wanting to hear. Honestly, her opinion of the Soul Society and especially of the Pack has been steadily increasing day by day (with rare exceptions) since she joined.

She gives a salute, and turns around to leave.

Before delivering the final letter and then going to commandeer others to help her in the Archives, she watches the flaming icy meteors falling.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Orc in the Playground

Setsurou, by contrast, is frowning. It's not adjutant Suou's fault.

He hurries out of his chair and out in the open.

"Well expletive me."

He actually said that.

And in a moment, he's headed towards Medlog HQ.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Las Noches]
    [Tercera District]
    [Las Noches]
    (Tercera District)

The hollow challenger exhales irritably as he heals from the battle, looking upward to Turiel. "It is over. Where is the Tercera?"
    Turiel, his hands clasped behind his back, lowers from the height where he had been observing the fight, one eyebrow raised. He glances at the pile of ash, then at the Challenger. His voice comes out in a low but cheerful rumble.

"Standing in front of me. The previous Tercera has been dead for months. He was heavily injured in an attack upon Las Noches, before being finished off by his Fraccion, who then turned on each other in a frenzy. In the intervening time, none have proven themselves worth and willing to claim the spot.

You have done both. Though I do so wish you hadn't made quite the mess you did. Still, I suppose it's your mess to clean up!
    "

The man, who looks like he is carved from obsidian, gives a brief belly laugh at his own joke. Then, his teeth gleaming in a smile that's equal parts cheerful welcome and message from a stronger predator, he offers the Challenger his hand to shake.

"I am Turiel Vulkenssen, though some like to call me the Blacksmith. Welcome to the Espada, Brother. I don't believe you gave your name before?"

The Challenger may or may not have heard that name or title before. If he had, they're the sort of thing mostly just rumbled and whispered about in idle chatter, such that Hollows ever have such a thing.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Orc in the Playground

[Las Noches]
    (Tercera District)

"I limited the damage for just that reason." The tone is deadpan, so either he is that confident or it was in fact a joke.

The hollow looks impassively on Turiel's grin. Although it's kind of hard to do anything but that, given he has no mouth on his mask to register true expressions. At his question, he turns very slightly so he can face both Turiel and the bystanders.

"I am Quidel Alamilla. The second God of the sun, Quetzalcoatl. The Aztecs worshiped me. I do not expect the same devotion, but I expect respect. And if you give me the former, as I take this role I will not hesitate to reward it. If you do not give me the latter... you will find the powers of the Sun to be very unforgiving." Well. So he wasn't without charisma. The crowd can take that proclamation however they will. With that, he turns to Turiel again.

"...your city offers ascension from hollow form. I should like to make use of this... after my form settles." Turiel himself, likely being a Vasto Lorde before his own ascencion, may now recognize the state of evolution Quidel is in. It's... messy, unrefined, but there are definite hallmarks of that level of hollow. But evolution is usually rather gradual, where here, the hollow's form seems to be shifting on close examination, settling and molding into a more appropriate form. As well, his reiatsu feels... high adjuchas at best, but there is also a sense of massive flux.

Curious indeed.

[Soul Society]
    (Med & Log HQ)

Momoka sits in her wheelchair calmly until the flaming hail ceases, rolling out to pick up one of the fragments with a serene, interested smile. Like a child observing a shiny rock or shell.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2014-08-29 at 07:03 PM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Orc in the Playground

It's not too long before a Shinigami Momoka has never seen before approaches with a look of concern on his face in the gardens of the hospital.

She knows exactly who this is, though.

"Oh, good. You're alright. Aren't you?"

He actually has a name tag with the name "Joutaro" in it.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple?)

Momoka sighs as the silence is broken (or perhaps for other reasons), pocketing the stone.

"...yes, I'm quite all right... Joutaro." She manages a teasing smile. "Believe it or not, I have lived through much worse things than a few falling rocks. What's the real reason you're here?"
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Orc in the Playground

"What do you mean? This is exactly the reason I'm here. The second I saw flaming rocks from the sky I thought you'd want to get one. And if one came at you while you were picking it up you'd have no way to dodge. Need I remind you you're still in a wheelchair?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple)

Momoka looks at 'Joutaro' flatly, no smile this time.

"...really." There's an air of disappointment in her tone. "I assure you, I would like to leave this place as soon as I possibly can, with no offense to the wonderful souls seeing to my infirmity. I am still as perceptive as I've ever been for my handicaps-" Referring of course to her damaged eyes, although her hearing was always quite good. "-so, I would not have come out until it was safe." The intensity is not really angry so much as a light scolding.

"...now truly, are you going to keep treating me like a child, or is there something else you are here to talk about?"
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Soul Society]
    [Combat Division - Masaru's Office]
    [Soul Society]
    (Masaru's Office)

Waltz shakes his head. He can't really smile at Masaru's reference to him, but he gives an awkward thumbs-up.

"No, I believe that will do. The options are there, I am the messenger. Takenaka-taichou has delegated some duties to us, but we are still... young, in a manner of speaking." He stands, and bows, placing the scanbot and the remote control unit on Masaru's desk.

"Do have a pleasant... ballin' day. Bro." With that, disregarding further inquiry, Waltz makes his way back to engineering.
    Masaru nods.

"I believe that will suffice, then. And good luck on your journey of growth, you and your siblings. I hope you have a good day as well, Brother Waltz."

Masaru will spend a few minutes after Waltz leaves familiarizing himself with his new equipment. He is most certainly not wasting time playing with it like a bunch of grown-up-man-child toys. That would be silly.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Las Noches]
    [Tercera District]
    [Las Noches]
    (Tercera District)

"I limited the damage for just that reason." The tone is deadpan, so either he is that confident or it was in fact a joke.

The hollow looks impassively on Turiel's grin. Although it's kind of hard to do anything but that, given he has no mouth on his mask to register true expressions. At his question, he turns very slightly so he can face both Turiel and the bystanders.

"I am Quidel Alamilla. The second God of the sun, Quetzalcoatl. The Aztecs worshiped me. I do not expect the same devotion, but I expect respect. And if you give me the former, as I take this role I will not hesitate to reward it. If you do not give me the latter... you will find the powers of the Sun to be very unforgiving." Well. So he wasn't without charisma. The crowd can take that proclamation however they will. With that, he turns to Turiel again.

"...your city offers ascension from hollow form. I should like to make use of this... after my form settles." Turiel himself, likely being a Vasto Lorde before his own ascencion, may now recognize the state of evolution Quidel is in. It's... messy, unrefined, but there are definite hallmarks of that level of hollow. But evolution is usually rather gradual, where here, the hollow's form seems to be shifting on close examination, settling and molding into a more appropriate form. As well, his reiatsu feels... high adjuchas at best, but there is also a sense of massive flux.
    Turiel gives a sage node at the comment about the damage. He stays quiet, eyebrow raised, as Quidel introduces himself.

"Yes, we have centers to assist in the process of transitioning to Arrancar form. They are open for all, and while there normally is a waiting list, I feel it is not improper to say we can make an exception in your case."

Nobody wants a hungry Vasto Lorde running around. Nobody.

"It does look like you could use someplace to sit down and relax for a bit, though. Tell you what; I'm sure this District's attendants can take care of the first stages of repair-"

Pretty clearly not a request or suggestion to some of the nearby Arrancar forces.

"So why don't you come back to my District. We can sit back by the fire and relax a bit while you get comfortable in your own skin."

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple)

Momoka looks at 'Joutaro' flatly, no smile this time.

"...really." There's an air of disappointment in her tone. "I assure you, I would like to leave this place as soon as I possibly can, with no offense to the wonderful souls seeing to my infirmity. I am still as perceptive as I've ever been for my handicaps-" Referring of course to her damaged eyes, although her hearing was always quite good. "-so, I would not have come out until it was safe." The intensity is not really angry so much as a light scolding.

"...now truly, are you going to keep treating me like a child, or is there something else you are here to talk about?"
    "Does there have to be a serious subject in the air each time I come to visit? Or can I not simply come to see you?" He stared back into her eyes, facing her 'scolding' with a little bit of his usual cheek. "I figured, if I give you something to be a little annoyed at first thing, it'll make your smile that much bigger when I get one out of you."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple)

Momoka sighs... and smiles very slightly. Which could possibly be counted as a win. "...they are talking as if I might be here for weeks, if not months. That I should leave with glasses and some forms of medication. That I might not regain sensation in my hands." The bandages are off, at least, but she rubs her fingers together with sadness in her eyes.

"...I'm sure you'll excuse me for not finding a reminder of my state comforting, when I was out of my room to get away from those talks." Oh. Well, now 'Joutaro' might feel a little bad.

[Las Noches]
    (Tercera District)

Quidel thinks for a few moments. "...very well. I accept your invitation." Well, not much more to say than that. Turiel now has a proto-Vasto Lorde following him. This must be how Jehoel feels, leading around Shinigami that might in any other situation try to kill him. It's not really about being worried he might succeed, more about the terrible inconvenience if it did happen. Soooo much cleanup.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple)

Momoka sighs... and smiles very slightly. Which could possibly be counted as a win. "...they are talking as if I might be here for weeks, if not months. That I should leave with glasses and some forms of medication. That I might not regain sensation in my hands." The bandages are off, at least, but she rubs her fingers together with sadness in her eyes.

"...I'm sure you'll excuse me for not finding a reminder of my state comforting, when I was out of my room to get away from those talks." Oh. Well, now 'Joutaro' might feel a little bad.
    Feel bad? NEVER! He won't be defeated by pessimism!

"You HAVE been through an awful lot. It's the way of nature that your body heals slowly."

He leans forward, and places the tip of his index finger against her forehead.

"But your spirit's been hurt longer. It's long overdue for some healing as well, if you'll let it. I'm a clumsy physician, I'll admit. Yet I promised to make you happy, and I KEEP my promises."

He kneels before Momoka, looking her in the eye. Holding her insensate hands. "The Hishikawas have access to a whole brand of medicine that's out of Medlog's reach - perk of being chemists on the side. If they can't fix you, I'll pick up Kaidou. If THAT can't fix you, I'll pick up Mortal World medicine. If THAT can't fix you, then I'll invade the Spirit King's realm and find someone who can.

I'm ready to spend the rest of my life finding ways to make you better if that's what it takes. I can't run away from you any more than your heart can outrace mine."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple)

Momoka sighs again, squeezing Joutaro's hands. "...if you want to make me happy, you can do one thing."

"Give me space. When I am ready to talk... you will know. I am no fool, while I will do what is necessary to protect our home I will take no unnecessary risks. I owe that much to those I care about."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple)

Momoka sighs again, squeezing Joutaro's hands. "...if you want to make me happy, you can do one thing."

"Give me space. When I am ready to talk... you will know. I am no fool, while I will do what is necessary to protect our home I will take no unnecessary risks. I owe that much to those I care about."
    "Hmmm. That's an answer I can live with.

I'll still bring you books every now and then, though. You must be bored to tears.

I've got a letter that needs replying to, so I suppose I'll be on my way. Want me to bring something next time I drop by?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Las Noches]
    [Tercera District->Segunda District]
    [Las Noches]
    (Tercera District)

Quidel thinks for a few moments. "...very well. I accept your invitation." Well, not much more to say than that. Turiel now has a proto-Vasto Lorde following him. This must be how Jehoel feels, leading around Shinigami that might in any other situation try to kill him. It's not really about being worried he might succeed, more about the terrible inconvenience if it did happen. Soooo much cleanup.
    Turiel nodded.

"Good, good. I'd offer you tea when we get there, but, ah, well."

No mouth and all that.

"Got some great books, though. And hot-spring-fed baths, too."

The soot and blood, you know.

"Anyways, just follow me."

He sets off at a pace that is a "slow and steady jog" for himself, and perhaps a "brisk jog" for the proto-Vasto Lorde, but is definitely faster than many lesser Hollows could keep up. They transitioned from the still-chaotic Tercera District into a much more orderly sector of the Inner City.

Here there was signs of construction everywhere. As they moved further in, Quidel would see various buildings that were clearly large forging and smithing centers, metal refineries, stonemasonry centers, and other such industrial-focused efforts.
    Other areas, done up like relaxation and enjoyment sectors, seem to have small streams and rivers and even ponds of molten lava. Not many Hollows frequent these spots, but a few hardy souls seem to. Because someone's gonna be That Guy, anyways.
    Still other areas are half-covered by steam; large hot springs and saunas, some open to the air.
    Also a giant restaurant that cooks food over fast-moving streams of lava. Because lava.

Finally, they come to a square tower that rises above the rest of the Second District, though not by a large margin. It is actually many-tiered, with various square sections of rooftop popping up in a not-quite-spiral to the uppermost section of the building.
    One of the lower rooftops has a lava waterfall gracefully flowing down the side of the building.
    Another couple had open-air forges and blacksmith work areas, manned by several diligent Arrancar.

Turiel led Quidel to the sturdy-looking doors on the topmost rooftop, which were opened by a pair of guards in body-concealing outfits of flowing cloth, though both seemed of similar (large) build. They walked down some stairs into a circular central room, with doors going in several directions.

"Right then! Sauna there, washroom there, spare clothes there, sleeping area there, meditation room there, library there, etc, etc, etc.

I'll be in the library if you wish to speak. If you need a few or couple dozen hours of alone time, that's fine. There are indicator flags on the doors, one of the attendants can show you how to use them, that will tell us to leave you alone unless a fight is detected. Any questions?
    "

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple)

Momoka thinks for a moment. "...I think I should like a copy of local newspapers in the city of Ikari and Tokyo, if you can manage them. Otherwise, I'd enjoy a ink well, brush, and calligraphy notebook."

Odd on the first bit, but Momoka has always enjoyed calligraphy.

[Las Noches]
    (Segunda District)

Quidel is silent, absorbing the mannerisms of Turiel and his explanation. And then, he folds his clawed hand over his chest and bows slightly. "That will do." No thank you, but at least he bowed. After Turiel departs and he hears the explanation of the flags, Quidel first washes his tarnished scales, the prismatic surface showing cleaner than even before his battle. Then, he enters the sauna, taking up a meditative stance and closing his many eyes, focusing on nothing but the effects of his evolution.

In a few hours, his snake-headed hand has been molded into another clawed appendage. Several more, the snake-like tentacles have receded into his back, leaving only the glossy yellow wings. All the while as these changes occur, his reiatsu builds.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2014-08-30 at 11:03 PM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Orc in the Playground

Not that odd. Considering what landed her in the hospital to begin with, she's probably right to be concerned about news regarding the stage of the latest large-scale operation on the mortal world.

"Shouldn't be hard. I've got a few agents in Ikari to monitor the fallout of Von Geister's shenanigans, and they need access to local news anyways. I could probably get you a copy.

Worried about mortal awareness of our last mission?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple)

"Something approximating that, yes." As teasingly obtuse as ever. With that, she takes out... sunblock? Well, geez, MedLog is just giving her all kinds of good habits. It's a rather high grade, given her complexion. Dabbing a thin layer on her face and the exposed parts of her arms, she leans back with a serene smile.

"...now, I would rather enjoy sitting in the sun quietly." There's a faint pause. "...you don't need to leave just yet." There are probably proper chairs nearby, if Joutaro would rather sit on a even level with her. Momoka simply basks in silence, her eyes closed.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Orc in the Playground

Well, why not. He has earned a break, right?

Especially because the letter he'll have to write is going to send him down a harsh road. Best to enjoy it while he can.

"Very well. I won't spoil your basking by talking of all things."

Still. She's letting him closer now.

He'll count that as a win.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post

Spoiler: To Internal Security
    Show
    To Captain Hishikawa Setsurou,

I am sure your duties keep you busy, including the ones brought on by my own Division's recent efforts to better the lot of the people in the Rukon Districts. I will attempt brevity for that sake, then.

First, from the efforts thus far, do you have any insights or suggestions on ways to, in general, improve our work?

Second, does your Division have any sort of basic educational materials that could be distributed to those aspiring to be officers of the peace in the Districts? This would of course be on a provisional basis, pending investigation of the relevant laws and rulings of Soul Society related to the matter.

Third, are there still major spots of internal friction between the Combat Division and other Divisions? I feel as though your forces might have a better finger on the pulse of things. Our internal morale has improved, but considering what happened in short spans of time, external relations seem like they might still be...rickety.

Signed,
    Acting Combat Division Commander Hiraku Masaru

Spoiler: To Headquarters & Command Division
    Show
    To Office of Acting Commander Ishinomori Koutarou,

One of my officers, one Suou Nicole, is going to be performing some research in the Archives regarding legal matters. She can give more detail, but it would be much appreciated if it was ensured she had access to all relevant sections of the Archives.

Further, to keep matters "above board", so to speak, I will state I have sent a few other contacts out to other Divisions. The intent of this is to help improve the functionality of our recent efforts to improve the situation, both in the narrow scope of peace-keeping and in the broad, general scope, in the Rukon Districts. If any of these communications become a matter of concern, or some other part of these efforts do, please feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience so we can discuss the matter quickly and civilly.

I am sure contact between our Divisions will continue for a good amount of time.

Signed,
    Acting Combat Division Commander Hiraku Masaru
    [/SPOILER]
    The first answer to come is penned by Koutarou.

Spoiler: From the desk of the Acting Commander General
    Show

To Acting Captain Hirako Masaru, Combat Division,

RE: Research et. al

Your officer is not only allowed but encouraged to peruse the archives in such regards at any time. The law of Soul Society is an open subject to all Shinigami and adequately-authorized individuals, regardless of birth, and as such is under no restriction of classification, being that restricting access to that particular bit of information benefits no one. I only ask that should she require case examples that she cites which examples she's had access to, and of course, sealed records will remain so barring further examination - though I expect there be no need for them.

I likewise do not expect to be issues concerning your correspondence with other Divisions, not in the spirit in which they are intended and not in light of the subject matter. In the unlikely even that they should rouse trouble of any kind, you will only be second in notification to yours truly. I've left specific instructions in that regard after recent events - I do not appreciate gossip.

I encourage your outreach to the Divisions of Gotei, and hope it bears good fruit. Unity is our strength.

Sincerely,
    Ishinomori Koutarou
    Acting Commander General, First Division

Setsurou's reply arrives a few hours afterwards.

Spoiler: From the Office of Internal Security
    Show
    To Acting Captain Hirako Masaru, Combat Division,

RE: Questions

In the spirit of cooperation and taking into account the likeness of rank between both of us officers, I will respectfully abandon formality in favor of a more approachable tone. Much of what I will speak deals with technical matters and the use of such terms would serve no practical use.

Concerning basic educational materials:

We do not have them. As a rule of thumb, those seeking a career in Gotei law enforcement are directly apprenticed under an officer with experience on the subject. Outside of being encouraged to study the law of Soul Society, much of our law enforcement training is of a practical nature. Elaborating such materials won't be a problem, but for the moment you would find you cannot use them anyway - more on that further along.

Concerning the perception of the Combat Division by the others:

Funny you should ask, because your officer asked me the same thing. I will tell you more or less the same I told her: by the very differing nature of each Division's duty, each Division has a different method of work and differing priorities, but more or less the same underlying philosophy, drilled into us during our time in the Academy. It would be strange to find a member of Engineering working strictly as a spy, or for a Medicine and Logistics officer to be doing reconaissance in a battlefield full of wounded. Specialization is a necessity in any military structure, and it breeds a certain approach to a problem depending on what your job normally is - some, in fact, pursue certain careers with the exact intent of avoiding something or another they dislike doing. While those differences in approach can create a few misunderstandings here and there, I do not expect it to drive a large wedge between the Divisions in the long term. After all, we rely on each other's work to fulfill our duties. Especially given recent events, I do not expect any such misgivings to last, and they're fairly small in number to begin with.

With all that said, leadership of an entire Division requires a certain level of tact and diplomacy that not all of us are equipped for, and leadership friction can often be more destructive than Division-wide relationships. (Just between you and me, one of the reasons I'm out in the field so much is so I only have to deal with the more prominent issues - the kind that you can only have a Captain answer for.) If you feel you need help in this regard, all you need to do is ask. (I remind you once again I mean this with all due respect.)

Concerning the affairs of the Rukon:

I'm afraid at this point we've all but reached the limit of what we CAN do with our resources. I trust you understand what differentiates, in the mortal world, the military police from the civilian police. We face a more complex situation here: in spite of a necessity for a symbiotic relationship, the laws of Soul Society are engineered towards the protection of the nobles from a peasant uprising, a situation that actually toppled monarchies and other forms of autocratic governments towards the end of the 18th century elsewhere, and for which our forefathers prepared more thoroughly than their mortal equivalents - by ensuring that all spiritually capable souls were encouraged to join or drafted into the Gotei. One of our unspoken duties is to preserve the balance of power in favor of the Noble Houses, which would otherwise be indifferent to the Gotei's much larger and demanding work of maintaining the balance of the cycle of reincarnation outside of their own preservation.

And that means that the second stage of our joint operation - that is, to mount and maintain a police force in Rukon that is completely autonomous from Gotei support - is exceedingly unlikely to be sanctioned, much less supported by the Noble Houses, unless they should all be convinced that is to their benefit.

Fortunately, our forefathers were either far more benevolent than the current stock, or incredibly more dense.

Strictly speaking, the major Laws of Soul Society provide us with a possible interpretation that requires active participation from the Noble Houses to quash the criminal element, lest they contribute to a crime against themselves - and all non-contributing houses would find themselves guilty of treason by omission. Gotei lacks a Division with that explicit purpose; in spite of its title, Internal Security is meant to uncover and stop internal threats, and a peasant uprising counts as external. It is likewise not the Combat Division's job to play constable. That we are doing so right now, in spite of a larger intent behind it, relies strictly upon our provisionary authority to do so - and once the current major threats are dealt with, our effort with Operation Suikoden will no doubt become a point of contention among certain Noble Houses, in spite of the fact that the Gotei has several hundreds of times the firepower necessary to quash such rebellions before they can even whimper. The current situation, forgive me for saying, might actually help open their eyes towards this need. But we will still need to argue that need before Central 46 eventually, and we need to choose our timing carefully. I suggest we discuss such actions personally in the future.

Don't be alarmed if this letter appears to catch on fire. I have equipped it with a Kidou to rewrite part of its information so as to keep busybodies from blabbing on to other nobles about the exact circumstances we're dealing with. Thankfully, communications on this level can't be censored, but better safe than sorry.

Respectfully,
    Hishikawa Setsurou
    Captain of the Internal Security Division.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple)

Momoka sits in silence for some time, saying nothing, and breathing slowly. It'd be easy to mistake her as being asleep, but Joutaro likely knows better. She is at rest, sure, but Momoka would still not let up her guard.

(SPACE > Soul Society)

Rocketing along slowly, Chouko maintains a careful hold on the cluster of meteors as she backs up towards the seireitei, her rear-view camera keeping her apprised of her path at all times. By the time they are within a few kilometers of the Seireitei, approaching from underneath, she finally speaks up.

"All right, Koutetsu. Time to **** around a bit." She activates the Seireitei's intercom system, and moments later, her voice blares through the speakers.

"Awright-awright-awwwwright! This is DJ Takenaka reportin' from deep space! Me an' MC Koutetsu penetrated deep and fast into the big-ol'-black, and it's time for the meteor shot! Hang tight, folks, 'cause we're about to rock like an Olympic swimmer, and these hips just don't quit!"

...Okay then. After that message, Chouko smirks and swings one of the meteors at the underside of the Seireitei, crashing into it. The tremors are fierce, but the reishi-converted meteorite easily bonds with the rest of the spiritual rock. Chouko throws a second, then another... All in all, it shouldn't be overly destructive, and it lasts but a few minutes. But today is definitely not a good day for fine china.

(Phoenix Temple)

Momoka hardly pays any mind to the... eccentric message, however her eyes do open slightly as her wheelchair is bumped back in the tremors.

"...wonderful."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

[Soul Society]

Hideki's voice takes over the communication device shortly afterwards, in a much more subdued tone.

"Captain Takenaka's... Colorful message aside, prepare for minor tremors. Repeated impacts are expected to hit the underside of the continental plate for the next few minutes."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Phoenix Temple)

Momoka sits in silence for some time, saying nothing, and breathing slowly. It'd be easy to mistake her as being asleep, but Joutaro likely knows better. She is at rest, sure, but Momoka would still not let up her guard.

(SPACE > Soul Society)

Rocketing along slowly, Chouko maintains a careful hold on the cluster of meteors as she backs up towards the seireitei, her rear-view camera keeping her apprised of her path at all times. By the time they are within a few kilometers of the Seireitei, approaching from underneath, she finally speaks up.

"All right, Koutetsu. Time to **** around a bit." She activates the Seireitei's intercom system, and moments later, her voice blares through the speakers.

"Awright-awright-awwwwright! This is DJ Takenaka reportin' from deep space! Me an' MC Koutetsu penetrated deep and fast into the big-ol'-black, and it's time for the meteor shot! Hang tight, folks, 'cause we're about to rock like an Olympic swimmer, and these hips just don't quit!"

...Okay then. After that message, Chouko smirks and swings one of the meteors at the underside of the Seireitei, crashing into it. The tremors are fierce, but the reishi-converted meteorite easily bonds with the rest of the spiritual rock. Chouko throws a second, then another... All in all, it shouldn't be overly destructive, and it lasts but a few minutes. But today is definitely not a good day for fine china.

(Phoenix Temple)

Momoka hardly pays any mind to the... eccentric message, however her eyes do open slightly as her wheelchair is bumped back in the tremors.

"...wonderful."
    It's not as if he can't afford to be patient. Why pry her guard open when he knows she'll have to give it up eventually?

Still, as the tremors start, "Joutaro" is off the ground he was sitting on and by the wheelchair in the moment it might take someone to blink. Ready to assist at the drop of a hat.

The small, white lie of giving her space was easily shattered, the second he sensed something was off. It wasn't lack of trust, per se. But he reacted on instinct, something that had not once broken through his facade before.

Such was Momoka's influence over him, at the end of the day. With any luck, she would be too busy being inconvenienced by the tremors to notice.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show