New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: [13th Age] A rather steep descent (IC)

Violet's healing arts prove to be more than adequate to the task. The man coughs a bit but is no longer in a life-threatening situation. After two failed attempts he manages to whisper "...Gorrit? My brother"? with a terrified voice and a painful expression.

2. - Top - End - #92

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the blue light is magical, maybe Root's instinct for the arcane can tell him something?

Wisdom + Arcane Accident = [roll0]

Incidentally, I forgot to add my familiar bonus to my last couple of Wisdom checks, but I'm supposed to get a +2 bonus on these (which I'll add from here on out).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems more like an Intelligence check to me. Not that the result will change, mind you

Root broadly recognises the effect-this was magic dispelled, devoured, stripped from the world. He is reminded of certain bat swarms that were kept by his tribe shamen, trained to hunt arcanists and devour any residual sorcery. Of course, the plan backfired far more often than not on their breeders.

3. - Top - End - #93

RedWizardGuy

Nal'tor storms into the room, ready to strike at the dwarf-forged, but finds only Milltyn clambering through the window. He roars furiously and spins around, looking for any sign of their enemy. Then he spots the mirror.

'You! Follow me!' Nal'tor shouts back to the halfling before jumping into the mirror - hopefully he won't crash on the wall behind it!
    Quote Originally Posted by OverdrivePrime View Post
    We could be The Band of the Squeaky Horn. Let our battle cry of "honk, honk %&#*$%@-#$*&%@$ers!!" be feared throughout the land!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Violet's heart twinged with sympathy, thinking of the two brothers still out of reach in the Bitter Woods. Her eyes shimmered with unshed tears as she delivered the bad news, "I am so sorry, but we arrived too late to save him."

This is obviously Eraldo Nomisser, one of the brothers Lady Petalbrook sent them to find.
    Last edited by Flower Girl; 2014-02-09 at 08:34 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Milltyn Goodfellow Halfling Fighter
    Character Sheet|Description
    Spoiler: Combat Statistics
    Show

{table]STR|18|+5|AC|19
    CON|14|+3|PD|14
    DEX|16|+4|MD|11
    INT|
    |
    |Init|+4
    WIS|10|+1|HP|24/30
    CHA|12|+2|Recoveries|
    0/9
    [/table]

Apparently the cursed dwarf-forged had not come this way and was still holed up inside. Nal'tor needs be a little systematic less he miss the assassin's hiding place, Milltyn's head was abuzz while he continue to climb.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Climb the wall of building.
    Strength and Level +5 plus Scoundrel with a knack for escaping +5 = (1d20+10)[13](23)
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-02-09 at 11:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven - Dwarf Bard

Draven still has his eyes on the door, his axe in hand, in case more of the dwarf-forged come this way. He glances over at Eraldo and Gorrit. "I am sorry about your brother," he says. "Can you tell us what happened?"
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

7. - Top - End - #97

HalflingPirate

Nal'tor is absorbed by the mirror and finds himself in a vast, cavernous room. A large pyre burns in its centre, not powerful enough to pierce the darkness at the corners. On its walls and columns you see large mirrors-scores and scores of them, a stylised picture above each one. No sign of the dwarf-forged, though. The man of the Silver Folk looks carefully, when...

"I wouldn't advice on picking a random one, mortal. More than half of the gateways will kill you most painfully...which might be a break for monotony, but certainly without any use.".

The voice is silky soft and alluring, every syllable hinting at secrets and mysteries. Nal'tor turns and sees a pair of huge red eyes cloaked by amorphous shadow looming at him. They seem to move a lot, always avoiding the pyre's light.

"Interesting...a member of the Silver Folk. Surely not a friend of the dwarves or their rebellious fanatical children? Yes, I suspect that it is so. And if I am correct..."

The eyes move a little closer.

"Then we might be able to do business. What do you call yourself, Silver one?"?

8. - Top - End - #98

HalflingPirate

Eraldo Nomisser closes his eyes in pain and shame. "No, not him. He was the gentle one, the talented one, no...Gorrit..."

The mans breaks into sobs for a couple of minutes, then manages to gather himself.

"I...yes. The constructs. They came out of nowhere, accusing us of working with the "binders" and asking what we knew of the great Makram or something. We said we knew nothing but they didn't believe us. They accused us of being agents of the Dwarven King or a High Overlord and then...two of them began the interrogation...cutting and cutting...while another with a hound looked for a book, burning or tearing the rest. I don't know how long that took when the door hit and one said that they should finish us off. And then...oh Gorrit...

Did you meet them? Please tell me they're dead!"

9. - Top - End - #99

HalflingPirate

Milltyn easily climbs the wall and enters the room, only to see Nal'tor Kerin Atar vanishing into a swirling mirror. he notices that second by second the swirling motion slows. Soon it might stop altogether.

10. - Top - End - #100

RedWizardGuy

Nal'tor Kerin Atar whirls around, trying to pierce the darkness, keeping his weapon ready. The fact that there seems to be nobody there doesn't mean that's actually true, or that somebody won't arrive through one of the mirrors.

'And I wouldn't advise leaving one open, to mortals and... others.' He replies calmly, straightening. 'Yes, I see it now. You give a scent of mystery, but in truth, you don't know half as much as you would like to, ha!' He adds confidently. Then, he sits down with legs crossed and lowers naginata to the ground.

'I am Nal'tor Kerin Atar, reawakened, rediscovered, reborn, restored, rewinded, retracted and then re-given and rebound! That introduction should be more than satisfactory. Now, tell me, where's that dwarf-forged that came through before me? I promised him to turn him inside out, literally, and I'd like to hold true to my word. Then we may talk about what you can offer me.'

Then, he adds in his all-too-audible whisper. 'Did it believe me? It had to, I didn't really lie, did I? Did I? Of course not. That's who I am, that's what I promised and those that know a lot usually want to know even more, so that's true as well! Just look at me, I know nearly everything, but I still want to know those things I don't know. Does that make me fallible? I hope not. That would be an oxymoron, because Nal'tor Kerin Atar is infallible! But I would surely like to know who I am talking to here, this another fly in my web, hee hee!'
    We could be The Band of the Squeaky Horn. Let our battle cry of "honk, honk %&#*$%@-#$*&%@$ers!!" be feared throughout the land!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven - Dwarf bard

"Yes, I remember. They mentioned Akram Mirza ibn Jalal to us as well. Rest assured, we killed two of them. We're still searching for the other one," Draven said, trying to recall whether he had ever heard the name before.

Spoiler
    Show

Skald of Two Traditions Int check - (1d20+8)[21]
    Donald S. Crankshaw

12. - Top - End - #102

Planetar

Show

{table]STR|18|+5|AC|19
    CON|14|+3|PD|14
    DEX|16|+4|MD|11
    INT|
    |
    |Init|+4
    WIS|10|+1|HP|24/30
    CHA|12|+2|Recoveries|
    0/9
    [/table]

The halfling watches Nal'tor disappear through the mirror, then shrugs, Well that is one less fool to get us killed. Milltyn signals down to Root to go back around, and then begins searching the room for any sign of the assassin lurking in the room.

Show

Secure the room.
    Wisdom and Level +1 plus Former Knight of Light +3 = (1d20+4)[2](6)
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-02-09 at 04:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Violet nods at Draven's answer, trying to sooth the distraught man. "The hound is also dead, so rest easy." She helps him sit up, watching for signs of further injury.

"I have never heard of this Jalal they speak of. I wonder what book they were looking for." Looking over at Draven, she notices that he has also felt the brunt of some damage from the constructs. Without moving from the injured twin's side, she mouthed a prayer of healing for the bard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Draven recovery 1d8+1+2 Violet healing bonus
    (1d8+3)[4]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

After getting Milltyn's signal, Root headed inside, eyeing the darkness outside warily as he entered. In the foyer, he made sure to close and bar the door, and wedged a relatively intact chair under the bar just in case.

He heard Violet and others talking in a room off to the side, and was about to go join them until he overheard what was being discussed. The man had just lost a brother, and Root didn't want to overwhelm him with strangers. Violet and Draven probably had things in hand, so instead Root took upon himself the rather distasteful task of checking the corpses of the two assassins and the hellhound to see if there were any clues as to their origin.

15. - Top - End - #105

HalflingPirate

The voice in the shadows chuckles. "Now this is amusing. You don't look like a god or smell like one but then again, most gods tend to be so...childish. The one you seek has gone to a place that you can not assault by yourself, Nal'tor Kerin Atar. Furthermore, you're going to be stuck here in seconds-the motion will stop and if you really think you can find your way back, then you're more deluded than I thought. You will take the battle to those pests of ibn Jalal and I will tell you of the places that will allow you to do so...but you'll have to give me s few things in return.

I propose a partnership, little...god. I'll reveal you the secrets of this room and this city of meddling, usurping thieves they call dwarves, but you will have to do some tasks for me as well. I will even show you the way out freely...and this is not a word my kind uses often. What do you say?".

16. - Top - End - #106

HalflingPirate

Story after story comes to Draven's mind as he searches his memory for something useful...and finds it. The name itself he can not identify but he realises he has heard of many similar ones. These creatures often appear in fables and sagas, weaving powerful magic, bringing down hubristic fools, protecting artifacts, changing fortunes and sowing destruction with cruel whims. Names like Akram Mirza ibn Jalal are born by Djinn, Efreeti, Marids and Daos. The folk of the elements and pacts. The wishmasters.
    Last edited by Teucros; 2014-02-10 at 12:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

HalflingPirate

Milltyn and Root search carefully. The hafling's search is fruitless, while Root quickly finds that the dwarf-forged bore nothing but their weapons. The only interesting fact is that the rune they bore on their chests has been branded later on them, not upon creation. It is a rune commonly use to begin a binding ritual, although in this case there is no actual magic contained. The hellhound stinks awfully, as Branch quickly complains.
    Last edited by Teucros; 2014-02-10 at 12:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

HalflingPirate

"They wouldn't say, my lady" says Erlando Nossimer. "Are you with her ladyship? I'm sorry, but my mind is all but gone".

19. - Top - End - #109

RedWizardGuy

'He wants me to work for him!? Is he crazy? I am a renown person, who I work for is myself! It's others that work for me!' Then his faces cracks in an uneven smile. 'But he doesn't need to know that, does he? Let's agree to his offer, let's pretend I'm stuck here, helpless. This way I won't have to strain myself to return to my servants, hee hee!'

Nal'tor stands up grunting, seriousness painted all over his face. 'O mighty huge-red-eyes-cloaked-by-amorphous-shadow, I humbly accept your offer and willingly step into your ranks! May my deeds be your deeds from now on, and may I bring you honour!'

He slouches then, casting a few nervous glances to either sides. 'Did he buy that? Did he?'

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

"Of course." Violet fishes out the letter Lady Pettalbrook sent with them and hands it to Erlando. "Please excuse the late introduction. I am Violet Loftquist, and this is Mister Draven Forgeson. Lady Petalbrook sent us, with some others, to you before starting out on a task for her."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven -- Dwarf bard

"Thank you, Violet," Draven says as he feels the healing magic take effect. It's a minor magic, and he still feels a little sore, but he's not going to complain about that. "While I don't recognize the name of our foe, it does sound similar to the names of djinni or efreeti, or similar beings, that appear in stories. Those creatures are often bound in one way or another, which may be the source of the term binder. Perhaps the ancient dwarves bound a djinn, and it recruited the dwarf-forged to its side somehow. During the war, many dwarf-forged were lost or abandoned, I'm afraid."
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2014-02-10 at 08:40 AM.
    Donald S. Crankshaw

22. - Top - End - #112

Planetar

Show

{table]STR|18|+5|AC|19
    CON|14|+3|PD|14
    DEX|16|+4|MD|11
    INT|
    |
    |Init|+4
    WIS|10|+1|HP|24/30
    CHA|12|+2|Recoveries|
    0/9
    [/table]

Milltyn continues to clear the second floor room by room before heading down to the first floor.

Show

Secure each room.
    Wisdom and Level +1 plus Former Knight of Light +3 = (1d20+4)[3](7)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, stop complaining, Branch. We've both eaten worse than this." Using his staff for leverage, he pushed the corpses off to the side, and made sure to put the hellhound near the fireplace. If they were here long enough for the smell to become an issue, Root might have to cremate the thing.

24. - Top - End - #114

HalflingPirate

Nossimer sighs. "The lighthouse, yes. I will help you, of course, the equipment is near, but...if it's not too much to ask...would you perform final rites for my brother, miss? There is a crypt below. Gorit wouldn't mind being buried among the dwarves until we get home, would he?"

Once again the man is on the verge of crying. He turns around, struggling to control his emotions.

25. - Top - End - #115

HalflingPirate

Milltyn finds an interesting collection of dwarven china but otherwise nothing of interest.

26. - Top - End - #116

Planetar

Show

{table]STR|18|+5|AC|19
    CON|14|+3|PD|14
    DEX|16|+4|MD|11
    INT|
    |
    |Init|+4
    WIS|10|+1|HP|24/30
    CHA|12|+2|Recoveries|
    0/9
    [/table]

Milltyn returns downstairs once he is certain the 2nd floor is secure. He pauses as he listens to the brother's words and bows his head in respect. When he feels he can interrupt, he says quietly, "Violet, sir, forgive my intrusion. However we have a situation out here, and I think we need to discuss for a moment. Sir if you could spare us a moment? Violet?" Milltyn gestures out the door.

Once he has everyone collected together, Milltyn tells them, "I secured the upstairs, by not before seeing our friend Nal'tor disappear into a swirling mirror upstairs. Since I cannot find any sign of the last abomination upstairs, and it did not escape through the window, I can only surmise he followed it through the mirror." Milltyn pauses a moment, bowing his head.

"Gods rest his soul."
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-02-10 at 01:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

HalflingPirate

There is a powerful flapping sound and the creature in the shadows moves around Nal'tor Kerin Atar, taking care not to step into the light, with surprising speed and laughter downright cold and full of dark irony.

"How eloquent. Well, you might be fun run along, little godling. The left surface mirror on the first column will bring you to whence you came from. As for the first order of business, you will find the statue of the dwarven...hero...of old, Borun Golfrickson, the so-called Second Living Bastion of Dwarvenkind. Of course, the dwarves of his time would not approve of that brute's current fame, but that is a matter of little consequence.
    Smash his sword. Bring me the remains, and as my first boon you will be shown the way to the Forge of the Star Anvil. So says Katrillaxia, and once truly given my word is more worth than divine oaths.
    "
    Last edited by Teucros; 2014-02-10 at 02:27 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

RedWizardGuy

'Done and done! Don't worry o mighty huge-red-eyes, the sword will be shattered! When Nal'tor Kerin Atar gives his word, it is better than divine oaths, because he is divine, and he will never break his promise!' With those words he turns around and starts walking toward the aforementioned mirror, snorting. '"Never break his promise", "better than divine oaths", that was a good one! I should note it down one day.'

Then, as he steps through the portal, he shouts back to Katrillaxia. 'Golfrick Boranson, the First Living Bastard, or something like that. Got it!' And then he's gone.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Root was surprised at Milltyn's story, though perhaps not overly so, considering the bizarre circumstances they and Aspis is general found themselves in. "You should show me the mirror. Maybe I can open it up and find him?"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

"I would be honored to help you celebrate your brother's life, good sir. As soon as our colleagues make sure the constructs are no longer a threat, we will see to both your and your brother's needs." Thinking it over a moment, Violet adds, "I do not know where the constructs came from, but staying here by yourself does not seem wise. Is there somewhere else you could go? Maybe to some more family, or someone in the guild?"

At Milltyn's interruption, Violet follows him to the doorway, where she could still guard the twin if needed. She was shocked by Milltyn's story, and concerned about Root's suggestion. "Is the mirror native to this house, or one of the possessions brought down with us when the Tear hit? Maybe we should ask Mister Nossimer if he knows anything about it. I do not want to lose anyone else to that mirror."