New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Call to Brew! [Crossroads]

In the darkness ahead of you, you can see a small girl floating between two trees. Her face is hazy, and a ghostly cough seems to be emanating from behind her. She holds up her clawed hand, and you feel a sudden cold in your lungs.

Acheri CR 3
    XP 800
    NE Small Undead (Incorporeal)
    Init +6; Senses Darkvision 60 ft. ; Perception +7

AC 16, Touch 16, flatfooted 14; (+3 Deflection, +2 Dex, +1 size)
    hp 22 (3d8+9)
    Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +6

Speed Fly 30 ft. (perfect)
    Melee Incorporeal Touch +5 melee (1d4 plus cursed disease)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.

Str ---, Dex 15, Con ---, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 16
    Base Atk +2; CMB +2; CMD 16
    Feats Improved Initiative, Iron Will
    Skills Fly +8, Perform (Dance) +5, Sense Motive +3
    Languages Culture-dependent (often Ojibwe)

Cursed Disease (Su): If an acheri uses its claw attacks on a living victim, the creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 14), or come into contact with the disease that killed the acheri in life. Different acheris have different diseases, but common ones include dysentery, cholera, filth fever, tuberculosis, or typhoid fever. In addition, once per day may curse a victim within 60 ft. of itself, forcing the target to make the save even if they have not been hit with the acheri's claw attacks. Regardless of whether or not they succeed on the save, all victims of this ability are immune to this ability for 24 hours. After becoming infected, the victim must beat the disease's normal DC rather than the DC of the acheri's ability in order to be cured. The save DC of this ability is Charisma-based.

Rejuvenation (Su): In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy an acheri through simple combat: The "destroyed" spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. An acheri that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check (1d20 + acheri’s HD) against DC 13. If someone were to cast remove disease on the acheri and then kill it within an hour of performing the spell, the acheri cannot rejuvenate. Otherwise, the only way to reliably kill an acheri is to find its corpse and wrap red ribbons around its neck and ankles (at which point the spirit ceases to exist immediately).
    _________
    Ecology

Environment: Temperate Forests
    Organization: Solitary
    Treasure: Incidental

Life is not always easy at the farthest reaches of civilization, and death is something that must be accepted. Of course, the death of a child is never easy, but it can become a hundred times worse when the child angrily lashes out from beyond the grave. Those children who are killed by disease sometimes return to this world as violent spirits known as acheris. These incorporeal undead, taking the form of floating gray-skinned children, wish to inflict their fate upon others.

It is said that acheri visit nearby towns in the dead of night, dancing in the center and inviting other children to leave their beds and dance with them. It is only then that the spirits reveal their true nature, digging their shadowy claws into the tender flesh of their victims and infecting them with a plague. Acheris often let their victims live, allowing them to run bleeding and crying back to their parents. They delight in watching these children inadvertently spread the disease, becoming engrossed in the resulting misery with an appropriately child-like glee.

Acheri are very strongly tied to this world, and as a result it can be very difficult to finally put such creatures to rest. The most reliable way to do so is to find out who the acheri was in life, and tying red ribbons around their necks and ankles. Red is a symbol of purity, and it is said that by purifying the corpse you cut the link that keeps the monstrous spirit here.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2014-01-30 at 06:09 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Since I am one of those old dogs who doesn't learn new tricks easily, I'm gonna ask that someone else convert the Rhine maiden's actual stat block. I've made the requested changes as far as 3.5 goes. Pathfinder's stat block might be good for DM's but it's painful for monster creation.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

alrighty, I think I got a decent idea on how this works. Just as a test, I'll start on something small and simple(ish): The Jackalope
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneBoxing View Post
    Ok, i added som stuff about the horn. It has some magical properties and it's needed to craft some magical items. Also, i have some vague idea of creating a more ritual-like divination spell that uses it as either a focus or material component, but i haven't come up with anything yet.
    Looks great to me! I always think monster-based items and equipment add great depth to a setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Since I am one of those old dogs who doesn't learn new tricks easily, I'm gonna ask that someone else convert the Rhine maiden's actual stat block. I've made the requested changes as far as 3.5 goes. Pathfinder's stat block might be good for DM's but it's painful for monster creation.

Debby
    Well, like I've said, we don't have to use the PF statblock. I still build from the 3.5 block because I'm so much more used to it. All you have to do is pay attention to skills and change the bab line.

But if you want me to, I'll edit it to PF and repost.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Debby
    I absolutely hate the new statblock. I hate, hate, hate it. But then again, I too am someone who doesn't like new configurations when the old one is perfectly fine. I'll convert it for you, though.

Admiral Squish, do you think the Lutin needs shillelagh?

EDIT: Looks like a posted too late. No matter, I find the process very tedious anyway.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2014-01-29 at 06:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

By Debihuman

Rhine Maiden
    Medium Fey (Aquatic, Shapechanger)
    Hit Dice: 9d6+9 (40 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 30 ft., Swim 60 ft.
    Armor Class: 15 (+2 Dex, +3 Deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/CMB/CMD: +4/+6/18
    Attack: Rapier +6 melee (1d8+2/18-20)
    Full Attack: Rapier +6 melee (1d8+2/18-20)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Death Throes
    Special Qualities: Amphibious, Break Enchantment, Change Shape (human), Guardian of the Rhine Gold, Low-light Vision, Immunity to Cold, Unearthly Grace, Transparent, Vulnerable to Desiccation Damage, Water Dependent
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Skills: Diplomacy +15, Knowledge (Local) +13, Perception +11, Sense Motive +11, Stealth +14, Swim +14
    Feats: Ability Focus (Wrath of the Rhine Maiden), Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Power Attack
    Environment: Temperate Rivers
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: Standard (50% uncut gems and gold nuggets)
    Alignment: Usually Neutral
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment:

In their natural form, Rhine maidens are indistinguishable from the water they inhabit; only the faint outline of a titillating female figure gives away their presence. When they choose, they look like pale, water-drenched human women with long flowing hair. Rhine maidens are graceful, beautiful, and passionate. They are also quick to anger. They prefer short, intense dalliances with a variety of suitors, often instigating jealousy between them.

In sharp contrast to their wanton behavior, Rhine maidens take stewardship of their Rhine gold very seriously, abandoning even the most ardent partner at a moment's notice if need be.

The rivers inhabited by Rhine maidens are noted for their gold deposits. Anyone wishing to pan for gold in a Rhine maiden's river must first receive her permission or risk her wrath.

Rhine maidens stand 5 feet tall and weigh 120 lbs. They speak Common and Sylvan.

Combat

Rhine maidens are loathe to fight unless their Rhine gold is threatened, in which case they do not hesitate to battle to the death.

Break Enchantment (Sp): Once a day, as a standard action, a Rhine maiden may cast break enchantment as an 18th level sorcerer.

Change Shape (Su): A Rhine maiden can shift between its humanoid and water forms as a standard action without provoking an attack of opportunity. Only a specific female human form can be assumed.

Death Throes (Ex): When slain, a Rhine maiden bursts into a geyser of water causing 1d4 points of damage to anyone within 20-foot radius.

Guardian of the Rhine Gold (Su): Rhine maidens are tasked with guarding a magical lump of gold that that can be turned into a magic ring but only by someone who first renounces love. Anyone who steals the Rhine gold becomes cursed, taking a -4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks until the gold is returned or until the curse is broken. The curse cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell. Removing the curse renders any ring made from the Rhine gold non-magical unless a Rhine maiden breaks the enchantment.

Transparent (Ex): While in the water, a Rhine maiden is difficult to see, and it takes a DC 15 perception check to notice one.

Unearthly Grace (Su): A Rhine maiden adds her Charisma modifier as a bonus on all her saving throws and as deflection bonus to her Armor Class. (The statistics block already reflects these bonuses).

Vulnerable to Desiccation Damage: Rhine maidens take 50% more damage from any spell, spell-like or supernatural ability that causes desiccation damage.

Water Dependent (Su): A Rhine maiden is mystically bound to a single river and must never stray more than 300 yards from it. Any who do become ill and die within 4d6 hours. A Rhine maiden's river does not radiate magic.

Wrath of the Rhine Maiden (Su): At will as a standard action, a Rhine maiden may focus her anger against any foe she can see, gaining a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and weapon damage rolls against that foe. These effects last for as long as the foe remains in line of sight of the Rhine maiden or until she chooses, whichever comes first. In addition, that foe must succeed on DC 19 Will save or be shaken for 1 hour. A successful save negates. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 feat bonus.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-01-30 at 12:38 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    I absolutely hate the new statblock. I hate, hate, hate it. But then again, I too am someone who doesn't like new configurations when the old one is perfectly fine. I'll convert it for you, though.

Admiral Squish, do you think the Lutin needs shillelagh?

EDIT: Looks like a posted too late. No matter, I find the process very tedious anyway.
    Honestly, I think the PF stat block is equal, if not a little better than the 3.5 one, it's just that we know how to work the 3.5 block better. It's all a matter of practice.
    I think I'm gonna post the modified 3.5 stat block in the first post to make it easier on the homebrewers. Maybe add a few things to keep in mind about pathfinder, like the changes to skills.

I don't know, it could probably use a little more offensive punch. Also, I just noticed the attack line of the Pf version says 'weapon'.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Here's another one! What a fun thread.

Geldegwsets (CR 5)

NG Large Humanoid (Giant, Aquatic)
    Init +1; Senses: Low-Light vision, Perception +8

Defense:
    Ac 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16 (+1 dex, +7 natural, -1 size)
    Hp 73 (7d8+31)
    Fort +11, Ref +3, Will +5

Offense:
    Speed 30 ft., Swim 50 ft.
    Melee: Unarmed Strike +10* (1d8+11*)
    Ranged: Rock +7 (1d8+10)
    Space: 10 ft. Reach: 15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Rock Throwing, Water Blast (3d6 nonleathal, dc 19)

*These numbers include penalties and bonuses from power attack.

Str 25, Dex 13, Con 22, int 8, wis 16, cha 12
    Base Atk +5, cmb +13 (+15 to grapple), cmd 24 (28 vs bull rush and trip)
    Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Improved Grapple, Skill focus (survival)
    Skills: Knowledge Local +3, Perception +8, Sense motive +7, Survival +11, Swim +19; Racial Modifiers: Swim +8
    Languages: Common, Geldegwsets
    SQ: Amphibious

Special Abilities:

Heavy Body (Ex): Geldegwsets have an unusually heavy lower body. They gain a +4 bonus to their cmd vs bull rush and trip attempts. However, because of their short, stumpy legs, they have a base land speed as if they where one size category smaller than they are.

Long Arms (Ex): The Geldegwsets long arms deal unarmed strike damage as if it was two size categories larger than it is, and has reach as if it was one size category larger than it is.

Water Blast (Ex): When the geldegwsets' water pouches are full, it can empty them all at once in a 20 ft cone. All creatures in the cone take 3d6 nonleathal damage and are knocked prone. A dc 19 fortitude save divides the damage by half and negates the prone condition (the save dc is constitution based). All non-magical fires in the cone are extinguished. To use this ability, the geldegwsets must first fill its' water pouches. This is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity when the geldegwsets is standing in water, and a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity when the geldegwsets is swimming. If the geldegwsets is on land, it cannot fill its' pouches at all. It is quite common for a geldegwsets to walk around with its' pouches allready filled.

Description:

A geldegwsets has thick, blue grey skin, a broad and heavy lower body with short, stubby legs and long, powerful arms equipped with flat hands seemingly more suitable for a creature three times its' size. The head is small in comparison to the body and on the side of the neck there are thin gills. A geldegwsets can breathe both over and under water, but prefers the water, and is rarely seen far from the river. Its' heavy body is designed to stand in a flowing river without being affected by the stream and to easily sink to the bottom, where it can sleep half buried in the river bed. It does not sleep after any schedual set by nature, but whenever it wants to, often for weeks at a time, to then stay awake for a similar amout of time. The geldegwsets fishes by standing in the river and using its' enormous hands as a basin, lifting up gallons of water at a time and drinking it, along with any fish caught within the water. Below its' neck are large skin pouches where excess water from these drinkings are stored. The geldegwsets can blow this water out through its' mouth, making them an excellent help when putting out forest fires.

Geldegwsets are usually very friendly, and in fact loves to have conversations with humans, listening with awe and exitement at tales of adventure, big cities and the like. When not eating, they will often stay under and beside bridges or at river crossings, waiting for someone to talk to. It is considered quite rude to cross a river with a geldegwsets beside it and not stay to talk with it for at least a minute or two. Since they have excellent memories, they are often used to pass messenges along to wanderers passing through later. They do not have a great sense of secrecy though, so messages that are private are passed along at the speakers own risk.

They rarely become violent, except when their life or the life or their family or loved ones are threatened. If somebody pollutes the river the geldegwsets will be very angry, but is more likely to yell at them than strike out at them. Relationships between geldegwsets are very private and intimate and takes place almost entirely under water. Their children live completely submerged until they are grown up. Because of this, not much is known about the geldegwsets family life, except that it is very private, and quite alien to humans.
    Last edited by KitsuneBoxing; 2014-01-30 at 12:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I copied the template from the Grab Bag contest and forgot to specify the weapon. I'll fix that. I have a reservation about giving the Lutin shillelagh because that was an ability I was going to exclusively give the clurichaun and (my version of) the leprechaun. What if I were to give them magic fang, for their animal form?

Acheri is done, I think.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2014-01-29 at 08:07 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Geldegwset
    Man, now that's an interesting monster. All the information I could find was very vague about the appearance and lifestyle of the monster. Did you find some source of more myths somewhere, or is the detail from artistic liberty?

I think the damage mod on your attacks is off. Unarmed strikes are light weapons, my math says it should be +7. The thrown rocks aren't normally two-handed weapons, so they should be +7 as well. The melee attack should be +12 as far as I know.
    You misspelled nonlethal a few times in there.

Acheri
    The Acheri looks good!
    Init should be +6, if my math is right.
    I think the attack mod on the claws should be +4. I think incorporeal undead use their dex for attack automatically.
    CMB should be +2. CMD has no +, it's a static number and I think it's supposed to be 14.
    Other than that, I see no problems. certainly a creepy monster, and I like that there's a specific way to kill it for good, like a vampire or a lich.
    I could see a low-level party having to go out to the graveyard to put one down for good.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, still a little new to the whole CMB/CMD thing. I'll fix the Acheri's CMB, and I'll fix the CMD for all my monsters.

EDIT: Yeah, I messed up the Dexterity score, I thought it was higher. I'll fix Initiative as well.

About the Lutin, do you think that magic fang would be enough?
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2014-01-29 at 11:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Sorry, still a little new to the whole CMB/CMD thing. I'll fix the Acheri's CMB, and I'll fix the CMD for all my monsters.

EDIT: Yeah, I messed up the Dexterity score, I thought it was higher. I'll fix Initiative as well.

About the Lutin, do you think that magic fang would be enough?
    Alright, I think that's everything.

Oh, yeah, forgot about the lutin for a sec. Yes, I suspect it would be enough.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

ElfPirate

Geldegwset
    Man, now that's an interesting monster. All the information I could find was very vague about the appearance and lifestyle of the monster. Did you find some source of more myths somewhere, or is the detail from artistic liberty?

I think the damage mod on your attacks is off. Unarmed strikes are light weapons, my math says it should be +7. The thrown rocks aren't normally two-handed weapons, so they should be +7 as well. The melee attack should be +12 as far as I know.
    You misspelled nonlethal a few times in there.
    I made up all the information, hope that's ok, or that my ideas can be combined with any existing lore.

The unarmed damage is with power attack included, since i figure that's how they would fight, with wild swings. With only one attack that's pretty much always your best option anyway, so it should be written as standard, as far as i'm concerned. But i can write a note of it, of course.

Many giants (including this one) have an ability called rock throwing where you get to throw larger stones and do it two handed. It specifically says in the ability that they usually add 1 1/2 times on these attacks.

I'll change the spelling, of course.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll do the Anaye too, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, fixed everything. I'll start working on the Nián Shňu next. In the meantime, I think I'll claim the Ishigaq.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll get around to finishing this soon. I want to add some unique abilities, so this may take a while longer.

Out from the ocean arises a great beast, its leonine orange face contrasting with its green, heavily muscled tauric body. As it roars, its fiery mane rises up into the air like a garden of spikes. Lightning strikes the side of its horns, though the creature doesn't seem to notice.

Nián Shňu CR 16
    XP 76,800
    NE Huge Magical Beast (Aquatic)
    Init +0; Senses Blindsense 60 ft., Darkvision 60 ft., Lowlight vision; Perception +33

AC 20, Touch 8, flatfooted 20; (+12 natural, -2 size)
    hp 299 (26d10+156); fast healing 10
    Fort +22, Ref +17, Will +14
    DR 15/Red SR 37
    Immunity Electricity
    Weaknesses Fear of Sound, Vulnerability to Sonic

Speed 40 ft., Swim 40 ft.
    Melee Gore +34 (2d8+15/19-20), Bite +32 melee (2d6+10), 2 Claws +33 melee (1d8+10)
    Space 15 ft.; Reach 10 ft.

Str 31, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 14, Wis 19, Cha 16
    Base Atk +26; CMB +38; CMD 48
    Feats Ability Focus (Frightful Presence), Awesome Blow, Bleeding Critical, Combat Expertise, Critical Focus, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (Gore), Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Power Attack, Toughness, Weapon Focus (Claw)
    Skills Intimidate +32, Knowledge (History) + 31, Survival +33
    Languages Mandarin
    SQ Amphibious

Blindsense (Ex): A nián shňu can locate creatures within 120 feet by nonvisual means (mostly hearing and scent, but also by noticing vibration and other environmental clues). Opponents the nián shňu can’t actually see still have total concealment against it.

Damage Reduction: Nián Shňu have near-impenetrable armor, but for reasons unknown these creatures have a strange aversion to the color red. Weapons that are dipped in red powder or covered in red paint or dried blood bypass this damage reduction. Covering a weapon in the nián shňu's own blood does not bypass thisdamage reduction.

Fear of Sound: Every time a nián shňu suffers more than 30 points of sonic damage in a single strike, the nián shňu must make a DC 18 Will save, or become shaken for 3d4 rounds. If a nián shňu suffers more than 50 points of sonic damage in a single hit, the creature must make a DC 20 save or become frightened for 2d6 rounds. Should the nián shňu take more than 100 points of sonic damage, the creature is panicked for a full minute and will attempt to flee to the nearest large body of water as quickly as possible.

Frightful Presence (Su): A nián shňu can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed on a DC 28 Will save or become shaken, remaining in that condition as long as they remain with 60 feet of the nián shňu. The save DC is Charisma-based. Every time another creature is affected by this ability, the nián shňu gains a number of bonus hit points equal to one-half the victim's total number of HD (minimum 1).

Swallow Whole (Ex): A nián shňu can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to two sizes smaller by making a successful grapple check. The swallowed creature takes 4d10+15 points of bludgeoning damage and 12 points of acid damage per round from the nián shňu’s gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 40 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 15). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. A Huge nián shňu’s gizzard can hold 2 Medium, 8 Small, 32 Tiny, or 128 Diminutive or smaller opponents.
    _________
    Ecology

Environment: Warm Ocean
    Treasure: Double Standard

It is said that, many hundreds of years ago, there was a village that was attacked annually by a great beast. This monster, a chimerical creature with the worst features of ox and lion, was said to rise out of the seas and attack the villagers who lived in the mountain. There was nothing they could do to stop its rampage, for its very presence sent even the stoutest of warriors running back from whence they came. The beast would savagely assault men and women in the very hearts of their villages, only to disappear at the end of each New Year. The creature would hibernate until the next New Year, where the cycle would begin all over again.

This continued for many a year, until a few brave heroes decided that enough was enough. Together, they rallied themselves and the rest of the village in order to fight back against the seemingly unstoppable foe. They gathered gongs and explosives, and as the beast came forward towards the mountains they unleashed their attacks. The monster, which seemed to feed off of the fear that it usually created, was distraught to find that these tiny people would act so courageously against it. Their red weapons hurt the monster, and their loud noises frightened it. It lashed out, before trying to flee back into the water from whence it came. The creature was ultimately killed before it could flee, however, and the villagers were quite happy to be rid of the Nián Shňu.

Yearly celebrations are still held in honor of the creature's defeat, with people using gongs and firecrackers and dressing in red. There are those that say that the beast was not one of a kind, though; these vigilant souls are convinced that there are other nián shňu living deep under the ocean. The appearance of just one, it is said, would be enough to throw civilization into chaos. Whether there are any more remains to be seen.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2014-01-30 at 05:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Finished the nián shňu. I was thinking about adding the dragon-blooded subtype, but that's only 3.5e, right?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Honestly, I think the PF stat block is equal, if not a little better than the 3.5 one, it's just that we know how to work the 3.5 block better. It's all a matter of practice.
    I think I'm gonna post the modified 3.5 stat block in the first post to make it easier on the homebrewers. Maybe add a few things to keep in mind about pathfinder, like the changes to skills.

I don't know, it could probably use a little more offensive punch. Also, I just noticed the attack line of the Pf version says 'weapon'.
    It's not just the skills. When you change to PF, you have to add feats since they give them out at every odd level.

Rhine Maiden: still needs Alternate Form changed to Change Shape in Statblock and an additional feat. I recommend Power Attack for the additional feat.

Debby

I'd also like credit in the updated Rhine Maiden please.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

When you change to PF, you have to add feats since they give them out at every odd level.
    Oh, shoot. Well, it looks like I'll have to go back and add some feats.

On the bright side, we've more or less completed nine monsters in twelve hours. Pretty good, no?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

agjknsfdfdlkgfdslgfkjga;hk!

That is how I feel about the fact that I forgot they have more feats.

But yeah, 9 monsters wooh! I'll probably be able to get 5 more monsters in today (due to quirk in my schedule, I have no classes, and it is currently 6 AM. No regrets.)
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

As much as I love homebrewing monsters, I wonder if we really need to homebrew Baba Yaga. She's been done to death. For example here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/commu...-lab/baba-yaga

Here's the link to her Dancing Hut: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/...t-of-baba-yaga

She is a HUGE beastie and I don't think I could do it any better.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2014-01-30 at 08:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

I actually had this one on my to-do list already, and no one seems to have claimed it yet, so here we go.

This small bird vaguely resembles a cross between an eagle and a goose. Its feathers are deep purple with green tips, and its beak is a bright crimson.

Zhenniao CR 5
    XP 1,600
    N Small magical beast
    Init +3; Senses low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +11
    hp 57 (6d10+24)
    Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +5
    Defensive Abilities poison feathers; Immune poison
    Melee bite +10 (1d4 plus poison), 2 talons +10 (1d3 plus poison), 2 wings +5 (1d3 plus poison)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks poison, talon or wing
    Base Atk +6; CMB +5; CMD 18
    Feats Flyby Attack, Nimble Moves, Weapon Finesse
    Skills Fly +9, Perception +11
    Organization solitary, pair, or flock (3-10)
    Treasure incidental

Poison Feathers (Ex): A creature that strikes a zhenniao with an unarmed strike or natural weapon exposes itself to the bird’s poisonous feathers.
    Feathers—contact; save Fort DC 17; frequency 1/round for 4 rounds; effect 1d3 Dex; cure 1 save.

Talon or Wing (Ex): A zhenniao cannot use its wing attacks while flying, and it cannot use its talon attacks while not flying.

The zhenniao is a feared but relatively docile creature best known for its highly toxic feathers, which have earned it the nickname “poisonfeather bird” in some regions of the world. Ironically, zhenniao are not naturally poisonous, but instead gain their toxicity through their diet. They feed almost exclusively on venomous animals (particularly vipers) and then secrete the poison from their food through specialized pores in their skin. Unharmed by this process, the zhenniao then acquires a potent defense against would-be predators and will even use this poison to prey upon creatures that would normally be too large or too dangerous for it to take on normally.

Curiously, the poison coating a zhenniao’s feathers seems to produce two completely different reactions depending on how it is delivered. A creature that merely touches a zhenniao experiences an unpleasant tingling that eventually leads to numbness, but isn’t at risk of death. Those pecked or clawed by the bird, on the other hand, experience a rapid weakening of the body that most often proves fatal. A grounded zhenniao can also slash at opponents with its wings, whose feathers are surprisingly sharp, to deliver the more lethal version of the toxin.
    Last edited by Dracomortis; 2014-02-10 at 03:12 AM.
    Sincerest thanks to Qwernt for the amazing avatar.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground

Introducing Cavern Knockers. I'll work on them when I get home, but here's a template.

Spoiler: Common Cavern Knocker (In Progress)
    Show
    Common Cavern Knocker
    Level: 1 (Rogue)
    Medium Fey (Lesser)
    Hit Dice: 1d6 (6 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 30 ft., Burrow 20 ft., Climb 10 ft.
    Armor Class: 13 (+2 Dex, +1 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/CMB/CMD: +0/-1/12
    Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d4+2)
    Full Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d4+2)
    Special Attacks: Shriek
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Deep Dweller, Low-Light Vision, Light Blindness, sonic resistance 5
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Skills: Climb +3 (+11 to maneuver), Hide +6, Intimidate +5, Listen +4, Move Silently +6, Spot +4, Swim +2.
    Feats: Improved Initiative.
    Environment: Underground
    Organization: Solitary, Mated Pair, Family (1d4 combatants with 2d6 noncombatants), or Clan (4d6 combatants with 8d8 noncombatants)
    Challenge Rating: 1/2
    Treasure: Standard
    Level Adjustment: +0

Description

Combat

Sum up tactics

Shriek (Ex): Description (1 sentence). Effect.

Racial Traits
    Abilities: -2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: although weak and repulsive, the common cavern knocker is cunning and swift of claw.
    Size: As Medium creatures, the common cavern knocker gains no bonuses or penalties due to size.
    Speed: Common cavern knocker base land speed is 30 feet. However, they also gain a burrow speed of 20 feet and a climb speed of 10 feet. They get a +8 bonus on Climb checks made to maneuver while climbing, and their Climb skill is based on Dexterity rather than Strength.
    Senses: The common cavern knocker has Darkvision out to 60 feet and Low-Light Vision.
    Light Blindness: Like all cavern knockers, the common cavern knocker gains Light Blindness. This disadvantage is detailed in the Bestiary.
    Natural Armor: The common cavern knocker has a natural armor bonus of +1.
    Claws: Common cavern knockers gain a claw attack that deals 1d4 damage. Unlike most claw attacks, theirs is based on Dexterity for attack rolls and damage.
    Shriek (Ex): ???
    Energy Resistance: The common cavern knocker gains sonic resistance 5.
    Deep Dweller: The common cavern knocker, like all of its kind, is vulnerable to fire. They also take a -4 penalty on saving throws while in hot or arid environments, as well as a -2 penalty to attack rolls and armor class. Cavern knockers undergo the effects of thirst twice as quickly as normal, and must take in twice the amount of water each day that a human would.
    Skill Bonuses: The common cavern knocker gains a +2 bonus to Swim checks and a +2 bonus to Intimidate checks.
    Languages: Cavernspeak is the native language of all cavern knockers. An intelligent cavern knocker has access to the following bonus languages: Common, Goblin, Sylvan, Terran, and Undercommon.

Spoiler: Deep Cavern Knocker (In Progress)
    Show
    Deep Cavern Knocker
    Medium Fey
    Hit Dice: Xd6+X (X hp)
    Initiative: +X
    Speed: 30 ft., Burrow 20 ft., Climb 10 ft.
    Armor Class: X (+X Dex, +X Natural), touch X, flat-footed X
    Base Attack/CMB/CMD: +X/+X/X
    Attack: Claw +X melee (XdX+X)
    Full Attack: Claw +X melee (XdX+X)
    Special Attacks: Shriek, Quake, Vengeful Strike
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 120 ft., immunity to sonic, Improved Low-Light Vision, Light Blindness, vulnerability to fire
    Saves: Fort +X, Ref +X, Will +X
    Abilities: Str X, Dex X, Con X, Int X, Wis X, Cha X
    Skills: ???
    Feats: ???
    Environment: Underground
    Organization: Solitary, Mated Pair, Family (1d4 combatants with 2d6 noncombatants), or Clan (4d6 combatants with 8d8 noncombatants)
    Challenge Rating: 10
    Treasure: Standard
    Level Adjustment: -

Description

Combat

Sum up tactics

Ability (Type): Description (1 sentence). Effect.
    Last edited by Thunderfist12; 2014-01-31 at 10:03 AM.
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

24. - Top - End - #54

KitsuneBoxing
    Oh, no, it's fine with me. It reads like a proper legend. I just wanted to know if you had a more detailed source somewhere that I could start mining for details.

I thought rock throwing just allowed you to throw rocks. I know some giants have a more detailed description that can specify using one or two hands.

LOTRfan
    Marvelous! I shall review momentarily.
    Well, you certainly accomplished a unique creature, and the difficult goal of making such a powerful beast threatened by red and loud noises.
    I would suggest adding a thing to the DR saying the creature's own blood is a different color or something, because otherwise it could be argued that as soon as you deal damage through the DR, the blood would make it so it no longer applied.
    But yeah, with the reminder about feats, it needs to have... 13, I think.

Debihuman
    Righto, I shall fix things and add your credit.

As for baba yaga, I'm surprised we didn't find that already...

Amechra
    5?! Impressive! Let's see if you can live up to your word.

Dracomortis
    Very nice! Glad to have new people contributing.
    I went through the block and all the math looks right, no complaints here.

Thunderfist12
    I know your critters aren't done, but that picture is CREEPY AS HELL.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Sadly, I might not; I've been up for 27 hours, so I'll probably crash instead.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Sadly, I might not; I've been up for 27 hours, so I'll probably crash instead.
    Unless you are a robot or some other AI, you should definitely crash instead. Even if you are it might be time for a defrag.

27. - Top - End - #57

ElfPirate

I call dibs on the Kaitorak!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Unless you are a robot or some other AI, you should definitely crash instead. Even if you are it might be time for a defrag.
    I've done 40 hour days before. I'm an insomniac, it's what I do!

29. - Top - End - #59

Psh, 40 hours, I once stayed up for four days. I'd just gotten City of Heroes and had a bulk bag of lucky charms next to me. I only got up to drink or use the bathroom.
    It might have been less that four days, but my memory gets kinda fuzzy toward the end of it.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-01-30 at 02:58 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Added a clause in for the Damage Reduction, and I added more feats. I'll start the little people shortly, but first I want to do some more research.

I've noticed that a couple of monsters on the list are already statted in the pfsrd, and that several of these monsters are only different from some more "standard" fantasy monsters in terms of a few minor fluff details; could we use those statistics, or do you want to create them all from scratch?

EDIT: Also, I'd like to claim the Yumilekax.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2014-01-30 at 05:24 PM.