New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Call to Brew! [Crossroads]

OK. I do not know Pathfinder, and I wouldn't mind sorting out fluff and general abilities before statting him Suggestions would be appreciated.

Introduction

Known by many names by cultures who huddle around the fires in the darkest night, struggling to survive until spring, Sinterklaas is a Spirit of Hope and Hospitality throughout the Winter. He is protector of the Good folk who strive to make the lives of all those in their community as well as travelers welcomes in the dark times of the year. A protector of children in particular, he tries to ensure that they are warm and healthy throughout the season. He binds the demons that are out in force in winter time from all cultures (Krampus, Wendigos, Yule Lads, the Yule Goat, winter wolves, etc.). He may direct one or many of these demons to harass those break the laws of Hospitality based on their specific crime. He is most often sighted out and about around the 12 days after Winter Solstice.

Alignment and Personality
    A cheerful spirit, Sinterklaas is usually quite easy going, always willing to welcome guests into his domain, and when he is out roaming, is appreciative of hosts who try their best to treat their guests well, giving the best they can in that situation, be it food, sleeping accommodations, healing, etc., regardless of their alignment. If he deems that that the host or guests deserve a gift in return for their kindness, he may grant them a blessing and gifts in return in information, items, and food or drink.

Items

Horns of Plenty: A paired set of polished, hollowed horns, one is a Capricorn, which produces any food requested, while the other horn is the equivalent of such, but for any beverage. Food and drink from these horns restore the health and ability scores of those who consume it. Sinterklaas can lend these items for three days at most, after which time the items return to him. If these items are stolen, they cease to work, seal themselves, and grow heavier the farther away they are from their bearers, slowing down their carrier. Winter wolves, Krampus, or Sinterklaas will appear to the thieves within an hour of the theft if they are not caught and do not drop the horns. (1 hour=1000 rounds. Roll a percentile to determine when the pursuers arrive. 1%~=4 minutes (40 rounds)). The wolves and Krampus will be sent if the thieves are considered irredeemable, with the wolves for lower level thieves, and Krampus for mid-level thieves. Sinterklaas will appear to the thieves if it is determined that the thieves can be redeemed. Pursuit will stop if the horns are dropped before the pursuers appear, and the horns will return to the rightful bearers.

Staff of Binding: A giant, gnarled wooden staff staff that is covered in carvings, that upon closer inspection depict various demons and feral animals bound in chains, as well as runes of protection and good health, and Herd animals (Moose, Caribou, etc.). The staff serves as the means by which Sinterklaas summons and controls the various demons under his control. The staff also serves as a masterwork that inflicts an additional 2d6 Holy damage (I do not know what we are using for holy aura damage.)

Bag of Infinity: A bag, which can be adjusted in size from a belt pouch from which small items can be removed to adjusted to a large sack from which Large Items can be removed. This bag operates with similar principles to a Wish spell for producing items. These items are granted as gifts, so it is up to the discretion of the DM to determine what limits of gifts the PCs may receive. Usually the gifts are close fit to what is needed by the individual (ex. a household which is starving may receive a set of plates 3 times a day). Broken items or items with all charges used may be placed in the bag and removed to be repaired and re-charged.

Stone Boat/ Sleigh: Sinterklaas has a Stone Boat which is appears to be a large canoe 40 ft. long, 6 ft at it's wide and 2 ft tall walls. (Dimensions subject to change). The Stone Boat can take up to 9 passengers and their gear (All gear can be stored in the Infinity Bag if needed). The Boat travels across all bodies of water in the desired direction regardless of the weather conditions. The Stone Boat can also travel through air or through the Spirit World, although no passengers can be taken in this method. When in contact with land, the Stone Boat becomes a Stone Sleigh of the same dimensions as the Boat, pulled by the Yule Goat.

Stats

I will have to look into to this. Suggestions welcomed.

Servants

These are the demons that Sinterklaas has bound to his service. I have created terms that the servants would be released on an individual. If these should be removed or edited, suggestions are welcome. These are not meant to bully your PCs on how to behave, since they are rarely unleashed, although the stories are quite common. Stats and better descriptions will be will be done later.

Krampus

Drags bad people off to Hell. Only released upon the greatest crimes done by a host. (See the myth of Lycaon as an example)

The Wendigo

The first Wendigo, is unleashed upon travellers who commit great crimes.

The Glutton (Giant Wolverine)

Unleashed on those who hoard food excessively, and denying the food from those who need it, particularly meat. Eats their meat and scatters the rest, damaging fences and wagons. Can change from the size of a normal wolverine to a Giant size

Yule Goat (Giant Goat)

A goat the size of a Reindeer, the Yule Goat is unleashed on those who hoard their food excessively, and denying the food from those who need it, particularly produce. Eats the produce and scatters the rest. Will also eat any hay, thatching, and fabric as well as break any bottles and glassware such as wine bottles. Is used to haul Sinterklaas' Sleigh. Can change to the size of a normal goat.

Yule Lads

12 mischievous humanoids about the size of gnomes, they are usually unleashed on those who need to change their ways, but have not violated any Laws of Hospitality. Examples of their antics are similar to a poltergeist (moving chairs, messing up any tidying done, etc.). Treating the Yule Lads as guests (setting out scraps of food for them to eat, traditionally a piece of bread and salt, but any food will do), as well as treating all others with hospitality may be rewarded with a personal domovoi, or house spirit, to clean and prepare for you, so long as you keep to the Laws of Hospitality.)

Winter Wolves

Usually sent in packs of 6, with a raven sent as a guide after those who break the Laws of Hospitality as Guests and flee to the road, Winter Wolves hunt down and kill the criminal. If the criminal joins a group who are not guilty of similar crimes, the raven will inform the group of the crime the individual is guilty of and request that they stand aside. If the criminal is defended, the wolves will deal non-lethal damage that will be automatically healed at the end of the encounter. If a wolf is reduced to half it's HP, it will attack the weakest of the targets within range (this can be determined from number of HP, and relevant saves).

Domovoi

A house Spirit, a Domovoi cleans and prepares meals for the owner of the house, creating food with the Create Food Spell when necessary. A Domovoi must be treated with respect, and it is expected for one to set aside portion of thier food each day for the Domovoi. If the Domovoi is feeling mistreated, it may stop working. If the owner breaks the Laws of Hospitality, the Domovoi will leave the dwelling.
    Last edited by Mith; 2014-04-24 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Add more ideas

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Whilst I wait for your decisions on the Anaye I'll take up Tammatuyuq as well.

Edit: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post17352082 Skatene is done, Tammatuyuq is in the thread below it.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2014-04-26 at 12:36 AM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    Whilst I wait for your decisions on the Anaye I'll take up Tammatuyuq as well.

Edit: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post17352082 Skatene is done, Tammatuyuq is in the thread below it.
    Wow, these are both really evil baddies! I like how they're both female cannibal giants with similar modii operandi and CRs, but you still managed to make each of them feel distinctive.

One question, though: why would Skatene have the "immunity to cold" trait if she's native to what's now Georgia? It makes sense for Tammatuyuq to have immunity to cold, being from Canada, but not Skatene. I spent my honeymoon in Atlanta last Christmas, and lemme tell ya, they have a VERY different idea of what constitutes "cold" down there.
    My Homebrew Projects

Crossroads: The New World - Tribes, colonists, trade confederacies, and empires both new and old collide in an alt-history North America, circa 1750 A.D. (On the road to publication!)

Author of Motor City Breakdown, Co-Author & Accuracy Consultant for Ashes of the Motor City
    Major Contributor, Tenebrous Seas Wiki

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Oops, I'll fix that. I forgot they both weren't Inuit.
    Orcs and Goblins

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry, I didn't realize that you need an answer!
    Making them divine rank 0 sounds great, and needing a weapon of the gods to kill them sounds like DR/epic to me. I'd love to see what you come up with in the end, it sounds like fun.

Now, a little more in-depth:
    Flying Head
    I suppose the answer depends on which version of the myth you're going to go with. If it's the one where the head of a particularly violent death is reborn to seek vengance, undead. If it's an alien monster that descended to haunt the tribe, then probably abberation.

Sinterklaas
    I think there's a lot of good ideas here, but I'm not sure how well they'll connect together. I suppose I'll have to reserve judgement until I see the final version. I think a couple of these servants could be best made into unique monsters, but that's a lot of work to be done...

Skatene
    Math check: Looks good!
    I note your attack lines say 'or by weapon +10'. Is that intentionally blank to give the DM a choice? Or did you mean to add one and forgot?
    I think decapitate as a free action is a bit much. I mean, if positioned properly, she could decapitate 32 victims and still have a full round of actions, and that just breaks my brain. Maybe a swift action?
    Overall, I like the creature, but I think it could use some more abilities. Maybe a sleep ability? I dunno. (if you do add something like that, the decapitate action definitely needs to be upped.)
    Oh, and it should definitely have skill points in bluff.

Tammatuyuq
    Math Check: Looks good!
    Again, there's a 'or by weapon +8' in your attack lines.
    The abilities all look good, though you could change the disguise self one's name so as to avoid confusion with alternate form.
    Again, I definitely like the creature, but I feel it could use another ability of some sort.

I'll go update the first post!
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

The blanks are intentional for the DM to decide as they are never mentioned as having weapons but there's nothing to suggest they couldn't use one if it was handy.

I could change Skatene to a swift action and give her extra sneak attack dice.

Unsure what else i could give tammatuyuq besides racial skill bonuses.

Divine rank 0 would be too low after reading more. The two Gods fighting them are at the very least Intermediate deities who fail completely until they get artifact level arms and armor for the head of the pantheon. It's less DR/Epic and more (completely and totally invulnerable except to damage from a very specific source". I would have to design them as Gods, not monsters, and I would have to omit or seriously revamp their origins. Plus there's a lot of them, they're all unique beings, some of which will be difficult (Delgeth is a man-eating antelope who stands so tall his head is in the clouds), but they're also dead except for the four i mentioned above. Plus Amechra sort of already claimed the Anaye.

Whilst I await your decision I'll start work on Tah-Tah-Kle‘-Ah and the Siat / Bapet.
    Orcs and Goblins

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Sinterklaas

As somebody who grew up with the Sinterklaas tradition, i feel like i have to say that this version doesn't really resemble our traditions.
    I know the idea was to make him look like Odin, but this version just has the name Sinterklaas in common with our traditional version. Maybe the demonic servants could fit since they are supposedly the origin of the Zwarte Piet tradition.

Too much Odin, too little Sinterklaas for my tastes.
    But i grew up with this stuff, so it may be different for you guys.

8. - Top - End - #248

...Hmm. That does pose more problems. I'm still not entirely certain what I want to do with full-on gods in this setting. Why don't you just put them on the back burner for now, I'll bring it up when we get to the new main thread.

On the subject of sinterklaas, perhaps it would be wiser for me to handle this guy myself, with some more community involvement in the creative process and a whole lot more research.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    On the subject of sinterklaas, perhaps it would be wiser for me to handle this guy myself, with some more community involvement in the creative process and a whole lot more research.
    You can ask me any question you have, i know the tradition very well. Although i don't know much about how that tradition was around 1750.

Fun fact: Sinterklaas is a basis for the Santa Claus tradition.

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Steckie View Post
    You can ask me any question you have, i know the tradition very well. Although i don't know much about how that tradition was around 1750.

Fun fact: Sinterklaas is a basis for the Santa Claus tradition.
    SAY WHAAAAAAAA?!

I will most certainly seek out your help to clarify some things. I think I'm gonna aim for a proto-santa, something that all the father christmas traditions of europe and america can be traced back to without all too much stretching.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

SAY WHAAAAAAAA?!

I will most certainly seek out your help to clarify some things. I think I'm gonna aim for a proto-santa, something that all the father christmas traditions of europe and america can be traced back to without all too much stretching.
    That's right, you owe me for all the presents you ever got for Christmas!

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I am willing to hand of the Sinterklaas to someone else, and I recognize that one might want to do Saint Nicholas rather than my tie in to the Germanic Yuletide, which I am more familiar with. I was trying to do it in a way that made him resemble the majority of Northern cultures version of a Winter Solstice being of goodwill.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post17407820

Tah-Tah-Kle‘-Ah is done, siat is done underneath it

If possible I'd like to try the Kiwahkw and Inupasugjuk next.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2014-05-02 at 08:09 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #254

And just like that, Bhu moves up to 2nd place!

Alright, review time!
    Tah-Tah-Kle'-Ah:
    Overall, I quite like this one.
    Math check: Looks good!
    The spell like abilities seem thematically appropriate, and at CR 10 I don't think any of them are overpowered to be at-will, though I think you're supposed to attach a caster level at the start.
    I'm not sure about shadow landscape, though, it is a ninth level spell, and that's like 30 miles of landscape that's evil as long as she wants it to be. If we're gonna have her be altering the landscape to that extent, I would think she should be a higher CR.
    I'm not sure about tongues. We are removing all the instant 'speak any language' spells, but we never figured what we were gonna do about outsiders with the ability.
    I definitely like this lady. Very evil, very fitting with the myths.

Siat/Bapet
    That description, man. That's just great.
    Math check: The BAB should be +6. Everything else can be fixed through that.
    DR/obsidian definitely fits the legends, though it reminds me I really need to some up with the material rules for it. Though, looking at the combination of it with the other abilities, wouldn't it be easier to combine the DR, energy resistance, and fast healing into regeneration that's overcome by obsidian?
    I think that with the 14 cha and the bonus to bluff/diplomacy, you could probably safely describe them as attractive. And in this world, the seduction things makes more sense. I mean, physically, they would just look like attractive tuniit with huge... tracts of land.
    Overall, they have a lot of potential to be used in interesting ways.

Inupasugjuk
    Now, I normally don't weigh in before there's a monster, but these guys are actually tied into the setting more deeply than many others.
    In Crossroads, the Inupasugjuk are the ancestral source of the Tuniit giant bloodline, the reason there are ten-foot humans running around all across canada. In the last major ice age they used the roam freely into the mainland, as the ice-bridges they used to descend from the north pole were always thick enough and always present year-round. They also interbreed with humans (usually female giant on male human), which started the spread of the tuniit bloodline that eventually became almost ubiquitous in the east before the inuit made contact. When the world warmed up, they were less and less able to cross over, and now they only reach the mainland occasionally in the coldest winters, though they are a bit more common sights in the islands north of canada.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Re Tah-Tah-Kle'-Ah: She's based off the Night Hag which has spell likes of similar level (in the Night Hags case Etherealness) 1/day. I hadda give her something similar to keep her up to par. Also, SLA's caster Level is assumed to be equal to the monsters HD unless specifically mentioned otherwise. I gave her tongues because the myth mentions her "speaking he languages of the tribes to fool them into believing she was one of their kind".

Re Siat: Charisma isn't synonymous with appearance. Baba Yaga has a high Charisma and she's universally described as hideous. WIll fix the math error. Originally i was gonna give them just DR, but when I kept running into stories about how virtually nothing hurt them i went with the current combo, which in some ways is tougher to overcome than simple regen.

RE Inupasugjuk: You know these things are absolutely enormous right? The myths describe them as having 'fingers the size of walruses'. They're in Godzilla scale.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2014-05-03 at 06:27 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

16. - Top - End - #256

Tah-Tah-Kle'-Ah
    Alright, alright. I would add a line about the kind of creature/s she designates as the area's guardians, though. It would lend itself very well to being a whole side adventure path on its own.
    Did not know about the caster level thing. I don't use SLAs a lot.
    Yes, I get why you would put it there, I'm just saying I'm going to have to make a decision on that later. Wasn't tell you to change it.

Siat/Bapet
    I'm fully aware that charisma is not the same as appearance, but if they do seduce people, then it logically follows that they're attractive. I can't find any references to them as ugly, so it's entirely possible they're quite attractive.
    Well, not really, if you think about it. Any untyped magic source will hurt them, like a warlock's blast, or force damage. I'm sure there are other ways to reduce/ignore resistances too. If it's regeneration, you don't have to specify what it's resistant or immune to, it just turns everything that's not on the list of things that can hurt it into nonlethal damage. Without obsidian, it would be possible to knock one out if you overwhelm it with raw damage, but you couldn't ever actually kill it.

Inupasugjuk
    That's why it's almost always male human on female giant. I don't think I can describe how it works clearly without getting a little too graphic, but I'm certain you'll be able to find the tale that explains how it works.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

I presumed their not exactly pretty because all the seductive types in native american myths seem to be the 'hag using glamer or charm to fool men' archetypes.

I could give them the Invulnerability ability but it's damn nasty.
    Orcs and Goblins

18. - Top - End - #258

That's a pretty common theme world-wide. There's gonna be something psychological behind it, honestly. But these guys don't have any sort of beguiling magic or illusions or alternate forms, they're just themselves.

I can't find any abilities by the name of invulnerability beyond an armor quality that gives DR/magic. what's it do, and what's the problem with just plain ol' regeneration?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

Siat/BapetI think that with the 14 cha and the bonus to bluff/diplomacy, you could probably safely describe them as attractive. And in this world, the seduction things makes more sense. I mean, physically, they would just look like attractive tuniit with huge... tracts of land.
    Their resemblance to Tuniit might actually be a major plot-point, since it means they might be able to pass themselves as someone they players will assume is trustworthy (or at least, they won't automatically assume them to be an evil monster they should kill on sight). Maybe the players might help uncover the missing link between the Tuniit and the Siat cousins?

I assume that Siat/Bapet are all immune to the poison of their own species' breast milk? It seems to go without saying, but it might be worth mentioning.

RE Inupasugjuk: You know these things are absolutely enormous right? The myths describe them as having 'fingers the size of walruses'. They're in Godzilla scale.
    Yeah, I think we'd figured they'd be Colossal. The myths are pretty vague about they actually mate with humans, but then again, so is the SRD when it comes to half-giants (though I can't seem to find the race-description that fails to mention how their race came to exist ).

------------

No progress so far on the Flying Head, I'm afraid. I've been working hard to keep my job lately, which leaves little time for D&D. Though I have been working on compiling Mavakith's list of Chinese monsters into something we can insert into the first post of this thread. I feel like we don't have anywhere near as many imported Chinese monsters as we do European ones, but it makes sense that practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine would bring a few live samples with them, rather than paying the exorbitant shipping rates to bring their dried and pickled body parts all the way over from the Middle Kingdom, when they could just be growing their own in Fusang.
    Last edited by SuperDave; 2014-05-04 at 11:36 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

That's a pretty common theme world-wide. There's gonna be something psychological behind it, honestly. But these guys don't have any sort of beguiling magic or illusions or alternate forms, they're just themselves.

I can't find any abilities by the name of invulnerability beyond an armor quality that gives DR/magic. what's it do, and what's the problem with just plain ol' regeneration?
    there's no problem it's just that the Siat cant reattach limbs or regenerate, they just can't be hurt.

Invulnerability is a potentially troublesome homebrew ability that' resists damage from all sources but one (including untyped damage). In other words if you have Invulnerability 15/Obsidian, you will never take damage from any attack that does less than 15 points of damage. Unless it's obsidian in which case your Invulnerability doesn't work.
    Orcs and Goblins

21. - Top - End - #261

there's no problem it's just that the Siat cant reattach limbs or regenerate, they just can't be hurt.

Invulnerability is a potentially troublesome homebrew ability that' resists damage from all sources but one (including untyped damage). In other words if you have Invulnerability 15/Obsidian, you will never take damage from any attack that does less than 15 points of damage. Unless it's obsidian in which case your Invulnerability doesn't work.
    Well, the exact flavoring of regenerate doesn't require the creature to regrow things. I mean, no more than fast healing would. Like how DR can represent either weapons being ineffective or the wounds from non-overcome blows healing instantly. In game terms, it just makes anything that's not the thing that overcomes it into nonlethal.
    Honestly, the severed limbs regrowing thing was always odd to me. I mean, who has abilities that let them sever limbs in combat? I don't know of any.

Yeah, I'd rather avoid homebrew stuff, if only for the sake of simplicity when it comes to permissions.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Well, the exact flavoring of regenerate doesn't require the creature to regrow things. I mean, no more than fast healing would. Like how DR can represent either weapons being ineffective or the wounds from non-overcome blows healing instantly. In game terms, it just makes anything that's not the thing that overcomes it into nonlethal.
    Honestly, the severed limbs regrowing thing was always odd to me. I mean, who has abilities that let them sever limbs in combat? I don't know of any.
    Actually, you could use sunder as a way of severing limbs since it's used in the hydra entry and in the kraken entry. Really it should have been expressly stated how sunder works with severing limbs in the sunder entry rather than hiding it in the monster entries.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Actually, you could use sunder as a way of severing limbs since it's used in the hydra entry and in the kraken entry. Really it should have been expressly stated how sunder works with severing limbs in the sunder entry rather than hiding it in the monster entries.

Debby
    Hmm... Well, that would work in those specific cases, but there are a lot of questions it would raise in almost every other case. Like, if you cut off a man's leg, how does that effect his speed? His carrying capacity? Would he take a penalty to resist trip/bull rush? What if you cut off one leg of a creature with four legs? Or twelve? How would those be different? If you lose an arm, how does that affect strength checks? Is it possible to adapt to such a change with training to reduce any such penalties?
    I mean, the loss of a limb affects much more than just not being able to use that limb to attack. And if they were to make rules for such a thing, they would have to make a whole different set of rules for each kind of monster body plan represented in the game.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

On a slightly unrelated note, I have a close friend who works with fantasy art work and mythology and similar such. She's just about collected a BFA in Studio Art (specializing in painting) and Graphic Design. Do you need or want anyone to bring the art down on some of these critters?

25. - Top - End - #265

Well, I am definitely looking for artists. We're not at the point where we can start hiring artists yet, but I could always put your friend on the list of artists to keep in mind when it gets to that. Can you send me a link to some sample of her work? Like, a deviantart page or something? If you don't want to just post it, you can send it to me in a PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

While severed limbs weren't part of WotC's game, there are 3rd party rules for Pathfinder online. See here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasterin...of-a-Body-Part

They also have rules for prosthetics. See here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasterin...rt/Prosthetics

Not sure if you want to incorporate this but at least you have rules for it.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2014-05-08 at 01:07 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

The Flying Head (Kanontsistóntie's)

Spoiler
    Show

With an ear-splitting shriek, an enormous human head comes swooping out of the night sky on owl-like wings, its fiery red eyes burning with hate.

Flying Head CR 2
    XP 600
    CE Medium Undead
    Init +9; Senses Darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +7
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Defenses

AC 16, touch 16, flat-footed 10; (+0 Size, +5 Dex, +1 Dodge)
    HP 3d8+9 (22 hp)
    Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +5
    Vulnerable fire (+50% damage), Immune Undead traits
    Offenses

Speed 10 ft.; fly 50 ft. (good)
    Melee Bite +3 melee (2d8+1); Slam +3 melee (1d4+1 plus Grab); 2 Talons +3 melee (1d4+1)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    SQ Oversized bite
    Statistics

Str 13 (+1), Dex 20 (+5), Con —, Int 6 (-2), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 17 (+3)
    Base Atk +2; CMB 3; CMD 18
    Feats Dodge, Improved Initiative
    Skills +5 Fly, +7 Perception, Intimidate +3
    Languages Iroquoian (native-speaker), or Wyandot/Huron (native-speaker). Some flying heads pick up a smattering of English and French, mainly curses and blasphemies, which they seem to enjoy shrieking at the top of their (nonexistent?) lungs.
    Special Attacks Grab; Rend (2 talons, 1d4+1); Shriek (at-will, 30 ft. radius, 2d6 sonic and shaken, DC 14); Whirlwind (3/day, 1 round, 10–30 ft. high, 1d4+1, DC 12)
    Special Abilities

Shriek (Ex)
    As a standard action, a flying head can emit a blood-curdling, heart-stopping shriek which can be heard up to a mile away. Any creature with a sense of hearing within 30 feet of the head takes 2d6 sonic damage and becomes shaken, unless they make a DC 14 Fortitude save (in which case they take only 1d6 points of sonic damage, and do not become shaken). A subject cannot be affected by shriek of the same flying head more than once in 24 hours.

Grab (Ex)
    A flying head’s scalp is covered with several feet of coarse, unkempt hair, which entangles anything which comes near the head. It gains the grab special ability when using its slam attack, and can attempt to grapple any creature of Medium size or smaller in this way.

Oversized Bite (Ex)
    Though it is a Medium-sized creature, the Flying Head's mouth is approximately the same size as that of a Gargantuan humanoid, so its bite attack deals damage as if it were three size-categories larger.

Whirlwind (Su)
    The flying head’s other name, Dagwanoenyent, literally means "whirlwind”. A flying head can transform itself into a whirlwind 3 times per day (see the whirlwind special ability).
    Ecology

Environment temperate forests
    Organization solitary, or flock (2-5)
    Treasure none
    Advancement 4-5 HD (Medium), 6-12 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: —

Flying heads are undead man-eating monstrosities which haunt the dark forests and mountains of New England, Nouvelle France, and the lands of the Haudenosaunee (a.k.a. The Iroquois League/Confederacy). Although they are capable of eating anything organic, and are known to scavenge on occasion, they strongly prefer live prey (humans in particular).

When standing on the ground, a flying head is taller than a grown man, with birdlike talons and either batlike or owl-like wings which emerge from a wild mane of unkempt hair. Flying heads can be male or female, and they exhibit just as much variety in their appearance as humans do: there are even as-yet unsubstantiated reports of flying heads with pale faces, fair hair, and bushy European-style beards. But whatever their particular facial features, they are universally hideous, and their angry expressions and glaring eyes do little to improve their appearances.

The origins of flying heads are not well understood, and legends about their origins conflict with one another. Some say they are the result of horrific murders, and that they emerge from mass graves, or that some murder-victims heads simply sever themselves from their own necks and fly away into the night. In other legends, flying heads are human beings turned into monsters for heinous crimes such as cannibalism. And yet other simply suggest that flying heads are simply primordial monsters, which have existed since the dawn of time, independent of human crimes or evils.

Scholars suspect that flying heads may be related (in whatever way the undead may be said to be “related” to one another) to the rolling heads of the Great Plains.

A flying head weighs about 5,000 pounds, and stands about 8 feet tall.
    Last edited by SuperDave; 2014-07-29 at 10:45 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Normally when calculating DC's I do something along the lines of half HD+relevant ability mod. My first thought was half HD+con, but well... you know. So i'd probably go with Charisma. That'd give you a DC 14 save?

As for weight, I got somewhere around 5600, assuming I did my math right when expanding the skull
    Last edited by Perturbulent; 2014-05-19 at 05:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Perturbulent View Post
    Normally when calculating DC's I do something along the lines of half HD+relevant ability mod. My first thought was half HD+con, but well... you know. So i'd probably go with Charisma. That'd give you a DC 14 save?

As for weight, I got somewhere around 5600, assuming I did my math right when expanding the skull
    Alright, fixed both points. Thanks for doing the math, Perturbulent! (I realized that the head isn't eight feet from top to bottom, the top of its head is just 8 feet off the ground. So I rounded down to 5,000).

I'm still not sure I want to leave the Foul Scent ability in place, but I'd say this Beastie is mostly done. Admiral Squish: any thoughts on this? Maybe a math check?
    My Homebrew Projects

Crossroads: The New World - Tribes, colonists, trade confederacies, and empires both new and old collide in an alt-history North America, circa 1750 A.D. (On the road to publication!)

Author of Motor City Breakdown, Co-Author & Accuracy Consultant for Ashes of the Motor City
    Major Contributor, Tenebrous Seas Wiki

30. - Top - End - #270

Sorry about my silence, I have been rather absorbed. I've got like five word files open, each working on a different thing.

Flying Head
    Ahh, I have been waiting to hear this one.

Math check:
    HP is off. The Cha-to-HP should be +9.
    All the rest checks out.

The attack line is a little weird. Does it have claws and talons? You should use a consistent term to describe them, if not. The formatting is odd, too. It should look like:
    Bite +3 melee (1d6+1); 2 Claws +3 melee (1d4+1); Slam +3 melee (1d4+1 plus Grab); 2 Talons +3 melee (1d4+1).
    the rend ability isn't applied to the attack line, it goes under special attack as: Rend (2 talons, 1d4+1)
    Grab would also be noted under special attacks in addition to the mention in the attack line, it doesn't need it's own writeup.

Foul scent doesn't have to be its own entry, either, you could call it stench and put it as an aura (it's a special thing, it goes under the initiative entry in the top section, not usually included in monster entries). Stench is slightly different. It's a 30 foot radius, and anyone who fails the save is sickened for a listed number of rounds. for a Cr 2, I would suggest something relatively low, like 5 rounds. So, it would look like: Aura: Stench (DC 14, X rounds). You could put a flavor description of the ability in the writeup and use it to clarify the save is charisma-based for this monster.

I actually had to look a bunch of that up, so there's nothin' to be ashamed of. All in all, a very cool monster, and I'll update your count/link in the first post momentarily.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show