New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 7: Will Work For Makeouts

Now that's a question for the ages

Should you remain prude in front of your companion robot, or it's like getting nekkid in front of a pet?

(Pintsize doesn't count)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

We won't find out until Monday. Because Jeph is a butt.

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    And this is news to us?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    And this is news to us?
    The first part might be, depending on if you'd checked for an update yet.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Can we just feed Marten to an allosaurus already?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    So.... the secret to getting a girl to jump you is to make pancakes?

Why has this been a secret for so long?!?
    I didn't think it was a secret. It's just that it's tricky to be in position to make her breakfast if she hasn't already jumped you.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post

Should you remain prude in front of your companion robot, or it's like getting nekkid in front of a pet?

(Pintsize doesn't count)
    Well, obviously in case of Pintsize the answer is "god no, don't do it, for the love of all that is good in this world". Otherwise... I guess it would feel a bit more awkward inf front of Momo than e.g. in case of Winslow but... it's kind of personal preference. And maybe something you should take about with him/her beforehand.

If we ever find out.

Though, I'm curious if Jeph based this on a personal experience or not...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #128
    Colossus in the Playground

At least now we know why marigold isnt freaking out. Because its marten depression week. We have to focus on him crying over how much it sucks not having a girlfriend that cares about you and who you care about and how empty meaningless sex feels. Its like listening to a subtle abstinence ad, with humor.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I've been following this comic for years, and I've really grown to hate almost every character. Every year they seem to grow more unbearable. At first it was Faye but by now it's almost the whole cast.

Maybe because there isnt any character growth? I dunno, has anyone else experienced this?
    I can do a thousand now.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm certainly getting sick of Marten's whining and moping.

11. - Top - End - #131

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    I've been following this comic for years, and I've really grown to hate almost every character. Every year they seem to grow more unbearable. At first it was Faye but by now it's almost the whole cast.

Maybe because there isnt any character growth? I dunno, has anyone else experienced this?
    welcome to the real world, is all I can say to that.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

12. - Top - End - #132

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post

(Pintsize doesn't count)
    I don't think it's really quite *prudery* to not want to be naked in front of another sophont without cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

I would ask why you keep following the comic then but I recall there are just a lot of people who love following bad stuff just to complain about it...

Well, usually I'm much more interested in the humor when I follow a story (at least a story like that) but there's definitely character growth at least for a few people... Hanners, Marbear, a while ago somewhat for Faye...
    Although, in general, I think character growth is overrated. Not everybody needs to change for a story to work. Some people are just the way they are and they are fine with it. (Well, Marten is not fine with how he is himself but still)
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Faye looked at the beginning like that kind of character who is a jerk but when you get close to her she happens to be a kind and nice person to her friends...only that, in Faye's case, she's a jerk but when you get close to her she happens to be a jerk to her friends too. But it's OK, because her friends apparently like that. And she acts as if she were awesome and had the right to treat everybody like crap.

I think that Hanners and Momo are quite likeable, and they are growing and evolving. I like Dale too.

Samantha and Raven are funny. I kind of like Cosette and Penelope too.

Marten is kind of meh...the guy is kind of nice, yes, but only because he's polite and never does anything out of malice...he doesn't really does anything too look him up for. I'm quite neutral to him, he's background.

Dora started as super-cool awesomepants perfect girlfriend, and was later downgraded to normal messed human being (which is in fact, cool). I'm quite neutral to her too.

I strongly dislike Clinton, and I'm neutral to Claire, Emily and Tai.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I would ask why you keep following the comic then but I recall there are just a lot of people who love following bad stuff just to complain about it...

Well, usually I'm much more interested in the humor when I follow a story (at least a story like that) but there's definitely character growth at least for a few people... Hanners, Marbear, a while ago somewhat for Faye...
    Although, in general, I think character growth is overrated. Not everybody needs to change for a story to work. Some people are just the way they are and they are fine with it. (Well, Marten is not fine with how he is himself but still)
    I think I've been following the comic for ten years, or very close to that long. It's not a bad comic, it's just populated by ****ty people.

Ive followed OotS for a similar period of time, and it wasnt until really recently when I started going back through old story arcs that I realized just how awesome of a writer the Giant is. There's been real character development. And an overarching plot, too, which maybe helps.

QC the characters arent going anywhere in their own lives and they arent going anywhere in their relationships. Ten years of it and I've sort of realized the point of the comic, I guess. I used to think it was funny, 4 panels and a gag, or a week story arc and whacky hijinks. But looking back on a decade of these people's lives, it's almost a tragedy. Which would be unfair to call someone's mediocre life a tragedy, but christ it's like they're still 20.

I guess you could say the same about Peanuts or the Simpsons, though.
    I can do a thousand now.

16. - Top - End - #136

Or Seinfeld. Or Friends for the first half of the run (I wouldn't know about the second half since I didn't watch much of it from after 1999). Or Doonesbury before the musical. Or pretty much any webcomic that doesn't have much in the way of plot continuity. The reason why it's more noticeable than usual here is because this is a combination gag-a-day and character-driven strip, which means it can get away with the minimal standards of continuity common to comedy-based comics while also introducing some measure of continuity as fast or as slowly as it cares to. And that's why some characters develop while others just disappear for years on end and reappear completely unchanged. And why Marten's entire life gets to be a punchline.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedFilia View Post
    Or Seinfeld. Or Friends for the first half of the run (I wouldn't know about the second half since I didn't watch much of it from after 1999). Or Doonesbury before the musical. Or pretty much any webcomic that doesn't have much in the way of plot continuity. The reason why it's more noticeable than usual here is because this is a combination gag-a-day and character-driven strip, which means it can get away with the minimal standards of continuity common to comedy-based comics while also introducing some measure of continuity as fast or as slowly as it cares to. And that's why some characters develop while others just disappear for years on end and reappear completely unchanged. And why Marten's entire life gets to be a punchline.
    That does really well in summing it up, thanks.

This latest arc just really makes stuff seem like a tragedy. Not in the immediate way of Marten's bitching, but after ten years, he's still a bitch. Poor guy :(
    I can do a thousand now.

18. - Top - End - #138

QC the characters arent going anywhere in their own lives and they arent going anywhere in their relationships. Ten years of it and I've sort of realized the point of the comic, I guess. I used to think it was funny, 4 panels and a gag, or a week story arc and whacky hijinks. But looking back on a decade of these people's lives, it's almost a tragedy. Which would be unfair to call someone's mediocre life a tragedy, but christ it's like they're still 20.

How old are they, anyways? It's been 10 years, but only like, a year or 2 in-comic, maybe less. They're all in their mid-to-late 20's as far as I can tell except for Sven.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2014-02-16 at 01:47 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

I THINK at the start of the comic Marten and Faye were 21/22 while Dora was 25 or so. And Hanners had her, I wanna say, 22 birthday during the comic, when Sven and Faye hooked up initially.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

How old are they, anyways? It's been 10 years, but only like, a year or 2 in-comic, maybe less. They're all in their mid-to-late 20's as far as I can tell except for Sven.
    That's a good point. It's been almost a day-to-day play of their life, hasnt it? Like a week of comics covers 24hrs of the QC universe.
    I can do a thousand now.

21. - Top - End - #141

That's a good point. It's been almost a day-to-day play of their life, hasnt it? Like a week of comics covers 24hrs of the QC universe.
    Nothing that even. You could have a couple weeks worth of updates to cover a single party. You also got some time skips here and there, though not huge ones or anything. Im sure if you tried hard enough you could figure out some sort of timeline, or be lazy and ask jeph.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Turns out that Jeph had a reason to show Mopey Marten on Friday. So I'll give him a pass.

Marten even got a bit of self-realization out of it, so win-win

============================
    Edited so to not Double Post:
    ============================

I'd completely forgotten about the way Hannalore acted the last time Marigold had some luck with the opposite sex. Or, indeed, when she decided to be the Town Crier in regards to that occurance.

Should be interesting to see how Hanners reacts this time. Though I suppose it might just depend on who she hears the news from.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-02-17 at 03:36 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Should be interesting to see how Hanners reacts this time. Though I suppose it might just depend on who she hears the news from.
    Well, she might explode from... not sure what to call this.
    Anyway, Dale, if you think that's the best day of your life just wait until you start doing the really fun stuff. (Though, starting out with maple syrup I guess it was quite a bit more interesting than most first times)
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #144

Back to the topiv of time passing. This was apparently months since he and faye broke it off. I didnt feel like tracking down their breakup date, but if someone does we can at least see how much went on in between.

25. - Top - End - #145

I know it's store policy to use the Hose if he doesn't calm down

26. - Top - End - #146

NecromancerGuy

I think they may just use his powers of flight and/or levitation to get things off of high shelves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

I guess he knows Marigold's turn-on... pancakes?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I think they may just use his powers of flight and/or levitation to get things off of high shelves.
    I'm afraid those only work when he got just laid... which would make for some weird situations in the shop...

I'm not quite sure if I'm entirely comfortable with the "casual sex makes you miserable, relation ship sex makes you happy" message, intended or not. Not to promote random casual sex but... Or it's not about casual sex but about Marten being Marten.
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #149

You've got to remember that it was also Dale losing his virginity. No wonder he is happy.

30. - Top - End - #150

(in case anyone is wondering how I knew that..)

Sometimes you just know

And, frankly, that is the way it should go, with someone you really like and have for a while