New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Questionable Content 7: Will Work For Makeouts

Quote Originally Posted by dogmac View Post
    You've got to remember that it was also Dale losing his virginity. No wonder he is happy.
    That is a good point. Milestones for everyone!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Did marigold have an art change? I swear she had an art change. Her hair is less frazzled, but I think there's more...
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Daaamn. It took me 9 years after my first date to score with my girlfriend.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm not quite sure if I'm entirely comfortable with the "casual sex makes you miserable, relation ship sex makes you happy" message, intended or not. Not to promote random casual sex but... Or it's not about casual sex but about Marten being Marten.
    Little of column A, little of Column B.

Marten is definitely shown to be whining about something that he could totally see in a positive light if he wanted to. But the vast majority of QC's characters are either in a monogamous relationship or celibate.

The four exceptions that come to mind are (were) Sven, Veronica Reed, Tai, and Raven. Sven gets mocked by the other characters for his promiscuity and his character development is explicitly tied to a recent celibate stint, Mrs. Reed had a minor meltdown at her husband's second marriage over the fact that she's not in a meaningful relationship, Tai was shown as finding her poly lifestyle fun but unfulfilling, and is obviously in a monogamous relationship now, and Raven's boy-craziness hasn't been portrayed negatively, but it's not like she's ever slipped out of humor mode.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Daaamn. It took me 9 years after my first date to score with my girlfriend.
    Did you try pancakes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Did marigold have an art change? I swear she had an art change. Her hair is less frazzled, but I think there's more...
    I think that the post-shower hair has a lot to do with it, but also, well, she normally looks permanently a bit stressed and slightly sweaty, sometimes with hives. Despite her worries about being thought a slut, I think that she's a bit more relaxed here than usual, and it suits her. Plus, she's not wearing glasses, which she normally somehow manages to huddle behind.

Though the artist may have unconsciously changed her appearance a little in the process of bringing that out. I couldn't swear that her nose hasn't shrunk slightly, or that her features haven't got a little more delicate.
    Last edited by Discus-Spinner; 2014-02-19 at 04:13 AM.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Don't you know losing your virginity instantly makes you more attractive? This is the main reason people want to have sex in the first place
    But in all seriousness, while I guess there might be small artistic changes I guess a big part comes down to the after shower hair (which imo looks much better on her)

Quote Originally Posted by Connington View Post
    The four exceptions that come to mind are (were) Sven, Veronica Reed, Tai, and Raven. Sven gets mocked by the other characters for his promiscuity and his character development is explicitly tied to a recent celibate stint, Mrs. Reed had a minor meltdown at her husband's second marriage over the fact that she's not in a meaningful relationship, Tai was shown as finding her poly lifestyle fun but unfulfilling, and is obviously in a monogamous relationship now, and Raven's boy-craziness hasn't been portrayed negatively, but it's not like she's ever slipped out of humor mode.
    Well, I don't think there ever was a larger than average boy craziness about Raven but from that point of view it seems like Jeph does seem to have a tendency against casual sex, even if e.g. Tai's past wasn't potrayed in the same negative light as Sven's. (Or there ever was any negative attitude towards Veronica's career itself)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I don't think there ever was a larger than average boy craziness about Raven (...)
    Maybe I'm the weird one, but the little black book does seem unusually... boy-dedicated to me

This discussion is pretty interesting, because I'm sure Jeph's heart is in the right place, but it might just be the author's personal preference shining through. After all, he made sure to make an "Every orientation/prereference is cool" PSA during the Tai storyline when he realized that people misunderstood.
    But yeah, for both Sven,Veronica, Tai and even Steve, casual sex ultimately ends up unfulfilling and something to grow out of.

Man, now I miss Raven.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Arguably, the point is that random promiscuity doesn't suit everyone (as Marten has just found out), and characters who just fall into that pattern, for whatever reason (like "it's easier" or for boasting purposes), may find that they're not enjoying it. Equally, some people for whom it works at one point in their lives may find at other points that they're more comfortable being monogamous. Though the question then would be how many people switch the other way with equal comfort.

Or, author bias. Whatevs.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice in the latest strip that Marigold's phrasing was a classic example of a question expecting the answer "No"? It looks to me that she just wanted a bit of reassurance (and to make sure that she hadn't shocked Momo). The old Marigold would have been "Oh my god oh my god I'm a total slut and I'll never see Dale again".
    Spinnin' that Disc...

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Did you try pancakes?
    You have no idea

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

I am constantly reminded of how much Marigold looks like one of my old classmates.

I wonder how she's doing these days.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Marigold, this is the second date. If it was the first date, then she'd be as slut, don't lie Momo.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Marigold, this is the second date.
    I don't know why they didn't count Anime Night as a date, but they didn't. Possibly because they stayed in rather than going out anywhere. But then, they stayed in on this occasion too. So it was arguably a zeroth date.

Prediction for next scene; Momo, reminded about questions of personal responsibility, asks about precautions taken. Marigold blushes a lot and umms and ahs. Next frame is Momo dragging Marigold to a clinic while lecturing her like a mother on speed.
    Last edited by Discus-Spinner; 2014-02-19 at 11:55 AM.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

14. - Top - End - #164

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Spinner View Post
    Though the question then would be how many people switch the other way with equal comfort.
    That's probably impossible to pull off without looking incredibly contrived, considering what would be necessary.

(Or there ever was any negative attitude towards Veronica's career itself)
    The only negative I can recall is the quasi-canon interpretation that it's the reason why Marten is such a lilly-livered shadow of a man.

I don't know why they didn't count Anime Night as a date, but they didn't. Possibly because they stayed in rather than going out anywhere. But then, they stayed in on this occasion too. So it was arguably a zeroth date.
    Virgins and other neophytes tend to have very rigid ideas as to what constitutes a date and that it has to be formally outlined as such in order to count ever.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-02-19 at 12:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #165

BlueKnightGuy

Dammit, Jeph. Every time you start working out the psychological kinks of your female characters you have to bring in a new one to keep from getting bored with them. THIS IS WHY YOUR CAST IS SO UNREASONABLY LARGE.

And honestly, this applies to male characters as well. When was the last time we saw Wil and Penny, for example? The main reason Marten doesn't get to be happy is that if he gets to be happy and stay he's basically lost the drama engine that made him central to the comic's earlier period. Poor guy. His reason for being is angst.
    Before you ask, I didn't know what it meant when I put it in my username. Do NOT ask.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Incidentally, did anyone else notice in the latest strip that Marigold's phrasing was a classic example of a question expecting the answer "No"? It looks to me that she just wanted a bit of reassurance (and to make sure that she hadn't shocked Momo). The old Marigold would have been "Oh my god oh my god I'm a total slut and I'll never see Dale again".
    Maybe a little bit but I wouldn't say that the other variant would have been her definitive response before.. Then again, I really don't get why Jeph even had to bring it up. Do we need to define when you are a slut now? You are not a slut if he made you pancakes? You are not a slut if you really like him? You are not a slut if it's only technically the first date? You are not a slut if you use maple syrup? Sorry, I'm taking things too serious again.

Quote Originally Posted by PhallicWarrior View Post
    And honestly, this applies to male characters as well. When was the last time we saw Wil and Penny, for example? The main reason Marten doesn't get to be happy is that if he gets to be happy and stay he's basically lost the drama engine that made him central to the comic's earlier period. Poor guy. His reason for being is angst.
    While I see your point... who would want to see a group of perfectly normal, well adjusted beings go about their everyday life?
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Maybe a little bit but I wouldn't say that the other variant would have been her definitive response before.. Then again, I really don't get why Jeph even had to bring it up. Do we need to define when you are a slut now?
    I don't think this is about whether or not anyone is really a "slut". We know that the answer to that is "No". It's about Marigold still being a bit insecure, and phrasing that in stock terms, but getting over it pretty well with a bit of reassurance from Momo. (Even Marigold could have filled in that answer for herself if Momo hadn't been there. She just needed to hear someone say it.) And it's also about setting up that gag about Dale looking concussed, which was probably the real point of the strip.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by PhallicWarrior View Post
    Dammit, Jeph. Every time you start working out the psychological kinks of your female characters you have to bring in a new one to keep from getting bored with them. THIS IS WHY YOUR CAST IS SO UNREASONABLY LARGE.

But.. but...

moar cast means moar shipping possibilities!!

19. - Top - End - #169

Okay. I like this joke.

does that makes me a bad person?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Claire, that was horrible!

No, I'm not just mad that it took me so long to get the joke. Why do you ask?

21. - Top - End - #171

NecromancerGuy

More groan-worthy than a pun.

Kind of impressive, actually.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-02-20 at 01:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, pretty terrible pun but... I grinned Then again, it's not hard to make me laugh.
    "What's done is done."

23. - Top - End - #173

BardGuy

I facepalmed on faye's book.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Schubert Guy What Wrote that Vampire Article
    In the D&D game, so much of a character’s identity is expressed by the powers that character can use.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    More groan-worthy than a pun.

Kind of impressive, actually.
    Now I totally want to carry Sticky Pads and like people's books.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Now I totally want to carry Sticky Pads and like people's books.
    It only really works if they're named Faye, though.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Or May.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Oh God. Claire. She is the best character in this webcomic.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #178

That was absolutely terrible! I kinda want to carry around sticky notes now.
    Last edited by Felius; 2014-02-20 at 11:49 AM.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    People named "Faith" would work as well.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gah, those links just served to remind me that Hannelore is far and away the most compelling character in the comic.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!