New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 7: Will Work For Makeouts

I would in fact think of "hella" as a California thing, largely because I remember hearing it used in high school far more than in any kind of media whatsoever.

Maybe that's it? Having never actually been to New England, I might simply be aware of the infrequent usage of "wicked cool" in media and not aware of its more common regional usage.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    If you want to argue with the 'Never Wrong' Wikipedia, be my guest.

Hella,
    Well as long as the two of us are in agreement here I don't see any reason to continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #243
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Wikipedia, Valid Source Ahoy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked
    Boston slang for "very"

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedFilia View Post
    I would in fact think of "hella" as a California thing, largely because I remember hearing it used in high school far more than in any kind of media whatsoever.

Maybe that's it? Having never actually been to New England, I might simply be aware of the infrequent usage of "wicked cool" in media and not aware of its more common regional usage.
    I only heard it said after that episode of south park where cartman went around saying it all the freaking time and ticking off stan. Also, as a resident of new england, (but not boston) I can confess that wicked is mass slang. I also wouldnt be surprised if its become more of a joke thing, like the mckenzie brothers from canada (eh, hosers?)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, Claire. Let's go with that.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Sure, Claire. Let's go with that.
    Well, at least she TRIES. (OR she's just jealous )
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

7. - Top - End - #247

NecromancerGuy

I don't even, Claire.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, at least she TRIES. (OR she's just jealous )
    Well, she'd have the right to say that her problems are actually a little tougher than Marten's (but he's the one who goes round wangsting).
    Spinnin' that Disc...

9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground

About this wangsting talk: I prefer it that he talks openly about the stuff that bothers him, it is not like he looks himself in his room and refuses to come out because the world is over. It surprises me that such low level complaining to his friends already falls under wangst for people.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2014-03-05 at 06:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250

Ahaha, YES! CLAIRE'S BACK!

KISS HIM, GIRL!
    Last edited by Loreweaver15; 2014-03-05 at 06:49 AM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

11. - Top - End - #251

RogueGuy

Claire or Emily. And as much as I think there'd be conflict between them as a result, Emily is just far too oblivious to... everything.

So right, Claire.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Firbolg in the Playground

Somehow, I actually believe that treatment is exactly what Marten needs.

"YOU WILL SHUT UP UNTIL YOU ACCEPT MY NON-JUDGEMENTALNESS!"

13. - Top - End - #253

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Somehow, I actually believe that treatment is exactly what Marten needs.

"YOU WILL SHUT UP UNTIL YOU ACCEPT MY NON-JUDGEMENTALNESS!"
    I'm just confused as to what's going on and how you're parsing it.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Marten is obviously uncomfortable with the whole affair, but he's also sitting on the bloody fence and doesn't seem to actually make a personal progression because of his undecisiveness.

An assertive woman like Claire's defensive non-judgementalness might actually motivate him to take a better life lesson. It's sad to say, but Marten needs assertive women to get going often

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I suspect that Claire is being a bit too confusing for Marten to take much away from this. But if she just confuses him into shutting the fudge up, that'll be something.

Marten keeps saying that he's cool about what happened, or that he doesn't want to talk about it. But he somehow contrives to mention it to all his friends, in a way that verges on the passive-aggressive. And some of those friends have bigger issues of their own, or could be thinking about other friends who might need more moral support than Marten.

Suddenly I'm flashing on that Scary-Go-Round strip. Even if it wasn't a dig at QC, really...
    Last edited by Discus-Spinner; 2014-03-05 at 08:27 AM.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Claire thinks that Marten feels like she's judging him, and she's getting defensive about it because she isn't. Except he didn't think she was judging him at all, and was just kind of standing there. Claire is just good at leaping to conclusions, remember the thing with Tai being a "home-wrecker?"
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

17. - Top - End - #257

Marten is obviously uncomfortable with the whole affair, but he's also sitting on the bloody fence and doesn't seem to actually make a personal progression because of his undecisiveness.

An assertive woman like Claire's defensive non-judgementalness might actually motivate him to take a better life lesson. It's sad to say, but Marten needs assertive women to get going often
    I take it more as Marten has no idea what he should do or feel about all this, and is hoping his rather eclectic assortment of friends and coworkers will have some advice or something he can work with. As for Claire, I get the feeling that she has her own issues with marten and how she feels about hearing he hooked up with someone, but cant come out and admit it, but she feels guilty about that and so is trying to convince herself that she isnt judging him.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #258

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Claire thinks that Marten feels like she's judging him, and she's getting defensive about it because she isn't. Except he didn't think she was judging him at all, and was just kind of standing there. Claire is just good at leaping to conclusions, remember the thing with Tai being a "home-wrecker?"
    There was at least something to jump to conclusions about in that case. Here it's just... bleh...
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #259
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    About this wangsting talk: I prefer it that he talks openly about the stuff that bothers him, it is not like he looks himself in his room and refuses to come out because the world is over. It surprises me that such low level complaining to his friends already falls under wangst for people.
    It's not the high level of complaining so much as the low level of stuff-other-than-complaining. Which is understandable, since a comic must needs abbreviate real life.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

You mean, "women" as Claire isn't exactly a women, well originally in any case. Though I guess she took the drugs so she kind of is now.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    You mean, "women" as Claire isn't exactly a women, well originally in any case. Though I guess she took the drugs so she kind of is now.
    No.

He means women.

Because that's how you ****ing refer to transgendered people. By the gender they identify as. Not with ****ing scare quotes.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    The only reason Claire isn't "a women" is that she is one person, and thus a woman instead. That some people use crappy definitions that misgender her says nothing about her and everything about the quality of those definitions.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hasn't Steve also pushed Marten to get going once or twice? It seems to me like what Marten "needs" to get out of a moping phase is just somebody to let him know that he's moping and he needs to cut it out. Woman or otherwise might be beside the point.

24. - Top - End - #264

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    It's not the high level of complaining so much as the low level of stuff-other-than-complaining. Which is understandable, since a comic must needs abbreviate real life.
    It's sort of like depression. There's the version where it has extreme depths and get stuck there for far too long and then there's the version where everything is just generally lower and sta, when they're happy they aren't as happy as they should be, their base level neutral state is less happy, and their depths are lower than they should be.

Marten's angst would be the latter sort. If I were a wannabe psych person that would diagnose fictional characters I'd say he had that form of depression that wasn't being treated or recognized for what it was.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #265

The thing is, I can totally empathize with him right now. I mean, he has no steady girlfriend, he has no immediate prospects unless he plans to start hitting on his interns, he realizes casual hook ups arent for him, so he is kind of hanging here, not sure what he should do next. Its not the worst place to be, which is why he isnt sitting in a dark corner crying along to depressing music, but its also not a good place to be as he feels a bit lonely and unsure, romantically speaking. All his friends are hooked up and there he is, mr single pants.

Now he has to figure out what his next step will be. For example, he could go about his daily life, hope a SMIF chick hits on him again or some other random event takes place, he could just ignore trying to start a relationship and concentrate on his work/band and if something should happen, so be it, if not, he isnt worrying about it right now anyways.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Is anybody else having trouble getting today's page to load?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Not working for me either.

EDIT: I lied. Just took longer to load than usual. Ah, Steve.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2014-03-07 at 02:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    All his friends are hooked up and there he is, mr single pants.
    Actually, not all his friends are hooked up; he classes the interns as friends, for a start (without even mentioning Hanners). Emily seems to be fairly happy as a single loon, but we don't know what's going on inside Claire's head - and it's far more complicated for her to do anything about that than for anyone else. Which is why Marten moping at her looks highly insensitive to me.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Not working for me either.

Bro-dar might actually exist in this world. After all, there were the three Bros who always turned up at the right moment to chant.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    SMIF chick
    Sorry, a what?

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Geez, I didn't even recognize Steve anymore... Has it been that long or is my memory that crappy? I assumed it was just some weird creepy dude who randomly invites himself to join other guys going out.

Way to leave us hanging there, though... Well, we'll see how things go next week.

In retrospect... I kind of understand Marten. I mean, he didn't act great, what with forgetting his hook-ups name which is a pretty **** move if he was in it for something more than a random hook up but otherwise I guess he just isn't used to one-night stands. Someone remind me, how long did his thing withe Padma last again?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental