• its not great

75 20.00%
  • its completely unfunny

61 16.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Is Erfworld funny?

okay, so they never actually promised it would be funny, but surely if it's going to compare to OotS, then its got to be. So take the poll and say wether or not you think Erfworld is funny.
    proud founder of the cult of
    orthodox Banjoists
    we currently have: 4 members

(copy and paste that into your signiture to join, and send me a sacrificed goat and/or a message saying you have joined)

Visit Weebl you'll like him if you like funny things

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Is Erfworld funny?

I like the humour in erfworld, finding out the references can be difficult though, but that is part of the fun.
    Inner Circle The Cookie Raid

Spoiler
    Show
    Credits: Avatar; ChrisTP Signature: Sneak, Trog, Ceika and Gengy
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    Life is the set up and Death's the punchline line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    I give you the Master of sarcasm, (and puns).
    DEATH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Aww, dammit! You know I can't smite you when you're wearing those things!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Oh, Captain Jack Sparrow, you must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

frown Re: Is Erfworld funny?

Hm. It doesn't "click" for me. Who knows if later on it will, but so far, it hasn't. Sorry!
    JoseB

o/` Ooooh, sweet mystery of liiiiiIIIIIiiife... o/`

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

A great webcomic in my opinion. It's funny in its own special way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Where was heard the mingled measure
    from the fountain and the caves.
    It was a miracle of rare device
    a sunny pleasure dome with caves of ice.
    A damsel with a dulcimer
    in a vision once I saw.
    It was an Abyssinian maid,
    and on her dulcimer she played,
    singing of mount Abora.
    Could I revive within me
    her symphony and song.
    To such a deep delight 'twould win me,
    that with music loud and long,
    I would build that dome in air!

5. - Top - End - #5

It's not hilarious, but it is 'deeply amusing' so I ticked off on the above.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

It started out very funny, then got a bit less funny, and I think it's because it's meant to be read as a whole--I think it would be a lot more enjoyable if 8 comics were posted every four weeks rather than two a week because reading two a week separates them too much....You get bogged down in plot and don't notice the humor.

Also I think it would help if we knew what sort of universe we're set in....Like for OotS, we know what type of jokes to expect, and knowing that it's a D&D parody allows there to be more subtle jokes even if the comic focuses on plot. In erfworld so far, it's just r->w and things like "croakmancer" and the like--nothing world-specific.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Some bits are amusing, but much more is just confusing. Confusion isn't really funny, to me.

Oots is funny because it pokes fun at D&D and other paper-pencil RPG games. Just about any Oots strip is funny.

I don't understand what Erfworld is poking fun at. There a thread here wherein the author says he doesn't plan on explaning any of the humor. So...I suppose this is written for the people who "get" it, and not for the rest of us.

Oh, and I have to add that the baby talk ("Erf" for Earth, "Dwagon" for Dragon, etc.) is just annoying to me. Sorry.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Speech impediments aside, "Gobwin Knob" sounds to me like what we used to call oral sex, when I was in high school.

That's funny!

OK, not laugh-with funny, but at least laugh-at funny.

That's not exactly a glowing review is it? My bad.
    Summer

9. - Top - End - #9

A comic doesn't have to be funny to be good. However, Erfworld tries to be funny and fails miserably. If it focused completely on the plot and did away with the baby-talk, it would actually be a very good comic.

And example I would like to give is how they stuck the punchline of, "That would have been a good time for it to work" at the beginning of the next comic. It completely ruined the joke for me seeing it in the next comic instead of the one it was intended for. It's all about the timing.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    And example I would like to give is how they stuck the punchline of, "That would have been a good time for it to work" at the beginning of the next comic. It completely ruined the joke for me seeing it in the next comic instead of the one it was intended for. It's all about the timing.
    That made it all the more entertaining for me. We simply have different opinions, now please stop spamming this forum with negative messages. They are not appreciated by anyone who does not enjoy other people's hard work being trashed, a condition I believe is referred to as 'sadism'.
    Thank you and good day.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

11. - Top - End - #11

Ooooh yeah, this was the one I was looking for.

He dun seem to be spamming to me. He seems to be expressing his opinion on multiple threads. Spamming is ... different, I say. Is this some anti-criticism attitude filtering down (the Author seems kind of negative to people popping in to say something ruined it for them.)? I think Erfworld is far too good to need protection.
    Anyway I enjoyed it being on the next page but I see, yeah, I kinda aggree in one way, but it works well as it is.

*sigh* I wish we could have full-scale Erfworld art.
    It is sooo beautifoul! *sigh ;^_=

12. - Top - End - #12

I really don't enjoy this comic too much.

Based on the *limited* storyline that's been revealled, I can say that this doesn't tickle my fancy. I really love the art style, but the humour references allude me.

I think that I'll try it for 10 more pages of the comic before coming to a final conclusion. But I don't want to read something that I don't really understand and can only appreciate the art style.
    Pokémon Stuff: FC 3093-8484-9162 | Friend Safari Sunkern, Swadloon, Quilladin | List of Pokémon
    B-Kachu: Oo! Inconspicuous cookie with a string attached to it! *nom*
    Last.fm | Steam ID | YouTube

Quotes inside:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer View Post
    • B-Man is frickin' kick-ass in person.
    • The Metric System is more Awesome than Americans, and you all know it!
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    I'd respond, but I suddenly suspect that you are far too young to post here.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

yes, i think it is a lot funny

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

It's very good for me, not as OOtS (perhaps I better know the D&D stuff) but some things make me laugh. I'm waiting for more :)
    Hearts on Fire!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

I really enjoy subtle humour and also slap in your face humour.

So yes, I find Erfworld very amusing indeed.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

the best fun i get out of it is making fun of it with my friends
    Like my Tompkintar?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

I have read them all, but I must say I still don't really find it funny. Maybe it's not supposed to be funny? I also have to say I really don't get the plot either. And as far as what they're parodying, I have no idea. I can only guess that if someone was familiar with that last item then it would be a very good comic. I can see that there is obviously something lacking in my own experience that the author expects. Because of that it's like physicists making quantum particle jokes that nobody gets except other quantum physicists.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

For what it's worth, i'm enjoying Erfworld. It isn't laugh out loud funny, (excluding today's 'flaking' effect from exposure to too much 'flower power') but I like it. Some people have commented that they are confused by being plumped down into a world they don't understand, I find it somewhat entertaining... e.g. 'Okay, so magical abilities are granted by peices of clothing'. It's not an entirely new setting, it's a for kids turn based rpg, i've played a few of them, [didn't much enjoy them] but I like how serious the characters take themselves in this comic. 'Watch out for dwagons! Serious bussiness!'... the advent of o ryl owls? Kinda through me for a loop, now I don't know where the humour in the story is going. I liked the joke, but it seemed out of place. Can't wait to read more and figure out what the heck is going on in this world.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I think the reason why it isn't funny for me is exactly the reason why it's hilarious to other people: I fail to get most of the references.

I have never seen a peep in my life, and while I am familiar with the story of Linvingston, I had no idea who Hoffa was until I looked the name up. I also have no idea what "flaking" means to hippies, and why it is amusing to a passing-by observer. I have to wait until the humour is explained to me by the kind people at these forums, and let's face it - if a joke has to be explained, it won't make you laugh. It will make you go "Oh" insead of "Ooooh! That's just brilliant!"

I wish I could enjoy this comic as much as other people do, but apparently my background prevents me from doing so. Quite sad, really.
    Last edited by Rime; 2006-12-27 at 03:41 AM.
    \"What a useless scroll. It just says, HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR over and over again...\"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I do not find the comic itself funny, but it is certainly entertaining (to me). There are funny things and/or jokes, some obvious, others not. But Erfworld as a whole, is not a comedy, it's a story.

What I do find funny is how irrate some of the forum-goers get. Like it, don't like, just try not to ruin the fun for the rest of us. Please?
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm loving the Erfworld goodness.

Although...AAAAIIEEEEE, they use Rands as currency!

Thanks a lot, guys. I'm traumatized for life now; what's next, having a Galtomancer? *shudders*
    Legacy of the Bieth - my B/X D&D campaign setting. Abbasid/Almoravid North Africa, spaghetti westerns, and Roadside Picnic.
    LotB tumblr and Google Plus campaign page

Awesome

22. - Top - End - #22

I think it's funny--usually either the concept of the strip itself or one of the jokes amuses me. I agree with another poster that this is also probably better read in chunks rather than one page at a time (in that respect, much like Girl Genius).

I don't think everyone has to get the jokes. Not every comic is made for everyone--just like some folks respond to a book or a movie or TV show differently. I loves me some Shakespeare, but my old medievalist prof says he's a hack and prefers Marlowe. And no, this comic doesn't compare to high classical literature (with all due respect :) ) but the idea's the same. One person's trash is another's treasure and vice versa. If ya don't get it, it's just not for you. Move on.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Erfworld's approach to humor works really well, for me. every single strip, thus far, has induced at least one deep-down belly laugh (in 12, it was the ORLY shrieking "OMGWTFBBQ" as it got toasted). the sparse writing style helps; it primes me for noticing unexplained details. keep up the hilarious work.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

I love what I've seen so far. Lord Stanley, talking about the using the Arkenhammer to crack walnuts, saying "Sometimes you've got to bust a nut"; Jillian flying around on a Marshmallow Peep; and the names--as a fan of really bad puns, they warm my heart.

Oh, and Wanda's hot. :)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the it is all a big parody of many different things wrapped around a "serious" story.
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rime View Post
    I also have no idea what "flaking" means to hippies, and why it is amusing to a passing-by observer.
    Sorry you aren't getting all the jokes. I believe I'm one of the oldest people on either of these forums at 53. I was, in fact, nearly old enough to be a first-generation hippie, and had friends whose older brothers and sisters were at Woodstock, if that means anything to you.

"Flaking" comes from "flaking out", which means to act oddly or to fall asleep from exhaustion or other stresses, either physical or pharmacological. I suspect in this context that the two meanings are combined.

I wasn't a big fan of the strip at first, but it's starting to grow on me.
    Baby Pink Dwagon by Dr. Bath.

27. - Top - End - #27

My opinion's divided at the moment. Whilst not inspiring me to chuckle as loudly as I did when I first read OOTS, it still makes me laugh at some points. At others, I don't get it.
    I've laughed at the ORLY speak every time a new strip with them appears, and laughed in the first scene with Wanda. The rest of the time I've been a bit confused. But I'll stick with it- what's the point in avoiding it?
    Thanks to Tape Measure for my avatar!

Steam Name- [GitP] Dragor. Captain of the random disconnect, Lieutenant of the 'Uncloaking in front of somebody' Brigade.
    League of Legends- Supernaturalist

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

well they openly admitted it's not the same as OOTS. so far i haven't really found it funny, but since it's not a parody comic maybe we're all having expectations of it. yeah somtimes the odd spelling is kinda weird. but it is kinda funny how everyone is a mancer of something.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragor View Post
    My opinion's divided at the moment. Whilst not inspiring me to chuckle as loudly as I did when I first read OOTS, it still makes me laugh at some points. At others, I don't get it.
    I've laughed at the ORLY speak every time a new strip with them appears, and laughed in the first scene with Wanda. The rest of the time I've been a bit confused. But I'll stick with it- what's the point in avoiding it?
    The orlies are funny, I found the OMGWTFBBQ in strip 12 quite entertaining.

I think a large part of the humour is subtle, or situational, and thus is missed until the story unfolds more.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I like how the characters will be discussing something completely serious, totally deadpan, and then a dumb joke comes out of nowhere and blindsides you.

No, it's not often the most sophisticated humor around (O RLY? YA RLY!) but it's still funny. :D