New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Noncivilized World: Message in a Dream IC

Asha manages to extinguish the flames before they do any more damage, and the healing fixes the burns and bruise the man got from the beast's attack. He groans weakly, and mutters something incoherent again and tries to lift his hand before going limp again.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

2. - Top - End - #1142

Asha looked down startled at the movement. She expanded another charge hoping to wake the man up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charges (1/3)
    (2d8)[5]
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Lily lowered her bow, feeling triumphant but, truth be told, a little sick to her stomach. Now she had to go about the hard part- meeting these people and their... companions of a rather large persuasion. Oh, who was she kidding, she was going to go and talk to a bunch of Giants and hope that they didn't plan on eating her alive.

Lily strode into the camp like she owned the place. "You," she addressed Stiira, "Do you speak the Giant's tongue?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Lily is now sickened. Also, I checked and none save Stiira and Tuntematon have spoken (other than Asha's command word) since Lily's appearance. It stands to reason that she would assume the majority of the party speaks Giant.

4. - Top - End - #1144

Asha looked at the new halfling concerned. Switching to her second tongue she spoke. <Giant>"My people fought the giants. Do you require assistance against them?</Giant> She then repeated the question in the common tongue.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Now that the fiery beast was done for, the miniature centaur began to search for a couple of dozen stones suitable for using in his sling. As he searched, he turned to the stranger and began to speak the language of the Halflings. "I do speak the language of THESE giants, though if you mean the jättiläiset, I can't help you there. These people aren't really all enormous, though. Not normal sized like us, but still, not enormous."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take 20 to search for the stones, or I'll roll if you really want a roll to see how long.

Search: (1d20+1)[10]

On a side note, I realized that I hadn't used any gratuitous Finnish in a good while, so I figured the first conversation with the new character would be a good time to bring back that old character trait.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Lily jumped a little when the whirlwind-summoner began to speak in the strange tongue, then repeat it in one more familiar. Still, the soothing cadences of her native language were preferable in this situation, to say the least.

She turned to Tuntematon. <Halfling>"I'm glad that you speak their language, although I do know some of what the...." she gestured at Asha, "...pointy one is speaking. You are a bit... taller than I am, so I can see why these Giants may not seem as large. Those Jallatl...Jrtl... larger Giants you are talking about must scrape the sky!" </Halfling>

Lily looked askance at Asha, fidgeting with the mummified elf hand around her neck, then switched to lightly accented common. "It's... kind of you to offer, but I would appreciate it if you would put that pointy thing away before I am impaled. Then we can discuss the slaying of Giants!

7. - Top - End - #1147

Quote Originally Posted by aReallyGreatAxe View Post
    Lily jumped a little when the whirlwind-summoner began to speak in the strange tongue, then repeat it in one more familiar. Still, the soothing cadences of her native language were preferable in this situation, to say the least.

She turned to Tuntematon. <Halfling>"I'm glad that you speak their language, although I do know some of what the...." she gestured at Asha, "...pointy one is speaking. You are a bit... taller than I am, so I can see why these Giants may not seem as large. Those Jallatl...Jrtl... larger Giants you are talking about must scrape the sky!" </Halfling>

Lily looked askance at Asha, fidgeting with the mummified elf hand around her neck, then switched to lightly accented common. "It's... kind of you to offer, but I would appreciate it if you would put that pointy thing away before I am impaled. Then we can discuss the slaying of Giants!
    Asha's eyes landed on the hand and then glanced over at Eldien. Backing over to the elf she gripped the bone spur tighter. "You won't hurt her. She is of my tribe now."

8. - Top - End - #1148

Griffon

Question Re: Noncivilized World: Message in a Dream IC

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Asha looked down startled at the movement. She expanded another charge hoping to wake the man up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charges (1/3)
    [roll0]
    The man continues to ramble gibberish, though Asha can make out a few words amongst it. "...that... done... ....insane..." Suddenly he starts coughing, first in small bursts, then more violently and as it goes on the sound turns into more like mad laughter. Then it stops as quickly as it started, and he falls silent to lie still again.

Lily lowered her bow, feeling triumphant but, truth be told, a little sick to her stomach. Now she had to go about the hard part- meeting these people and their... companions of a rather large persuasion. Oh, who was she kidding, she was going to go and talk to a bunch of Giants and hope that they didn't plan on eating her alive.

Lily strode into the camp like she owned the place. "You," she addressed Stiira, "Do you speak the Giant's tongue?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Lily is now sickened. Also, I checked and none save Stiira and Tuntematon have spoken (other than Asha's command word) since Lily's appearance. It stands to reason that she would assume the majority of the party speaks Giant.
    "Wh-what giants..." Stiira has been slowly edging away from the new arrival, though the fact that she is also small like her had kept here from outright running away. That is, until she spots the dried hand hanging from Lily's neck. She lets out a small yelp and hides behind Aidan, who is closest to her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, amusing confusion. ;)

Asha's eyes landed on the hand and then glanced over at Eldien. Backing over to the elf she gripped the bone spur tighter. "You won't hurt her. She is of my tribe now."
    Eldien still holds on to her spear, though she lifts it to a less hostile position. She seems more relaxed now that the fire beast is gone. "Who are you?", she asks Lily, "I didn't know other small folk than dwarves lived here, and you look more like Stiira than them."

Inside her head, Asha has to again listen to the blabbering of the overjoyed Paimon. That was fun! Shame the fight didn't last any longer, flames can be great dancers.. Oh, do you think that this new person dances? You should ask. Hmm, I think I should compose another song...
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-05-07 at 07:05 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanok snorts, ever impatient with the dialogues of these southerners. "Who are you? Why are you here? And what was that beast attacking us?"
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Lily's eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. This strange creature didn't seem to like her very much. "I wasn't planning on hurting her, but thank you for letting me know."

Eldien still holds on to her spear, though she lifts it to a less hostile position. She seems more relaxed now that the fire beast is gone. "Who are you?", she asks Lily, "I didn't know other small folk than dwarves lived here, and you look more like Stiira than them."
    Kanok snorts, ever impatient with the dialogues of these southerners. "Who are you? Why are you here? And what was that beast attacking us?"
    Lily smiled a bit, glad that someone other than the pointy one was speaking to her. She folded her hand over her heart in the traditional greeting of her tribe. "May the river's blessings be upon you. I am Lily Giantsbane. That honorless beast... I don't know what it was, but it seemed to die just as well as any other. I am here because I was told to be. In a dream." Lily's face turned bright red after admitting this fact.
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2015-05-07 at 05:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1151

"A dream..." Asha let the bone spur slide back into her hand, the skin closing up around it. "If you saw this dream, you are with us. But who did you murder on the way here to get that token? There is enough tension in these lands without wanton killing."

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"A dream..." Asha let the bone spur slide back into her hand, the skin closing up around it. "If you saw this dream, you are with us. But who did you murder on the way here to get that token? There is enough tension in these lands without wanton killing."
    Lily relaxed a bit as Asha disarmed, but her confusion did not lift. "Murder? This 'token' belongs to the elders of my tribe! I would never dream of harming them!"

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanok moves to pick up his still-warm spear, and stares at the mountain while doing so, "It's no matter. She saw the dream, she's with us. Let's go."

Spoiler
    Show
    We need food, and now we need a lot since we're a traveling circus now.

Gonna make a survival check for food while traveling at half speed.

Survival: (1d20+15)[22]
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

14. - Top - End - #1154

Kobold

The centaur smiled at the newcomer while he was gathering more slingstones. "I see that Tietier has visited you as well. I know some of her, though not as much as I do of Alnin, her sibling. Oh, I haven't even introduced myself yet. I'm Tuntematon, prophet of Alnin. It seems that Alnin is blessing you with encounters with the strange lately as well."

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    Kanok moves to pick up his still-warm spear, and stares at the mountain while doing so, "It's no matter. She saw the dream, she's with us. Let's go."

Spoiler
    Show
    We need food, and now we need a lot since we're a traveling circus now.

Gonna make a survival check for food while traveling at half speed.

Survival: [roll0]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathgar View Post
    The centaur smiled at the newcomer while he was gathering more slingstones. "I see that Tietier has visited you as well. I know some of her, though not as much as I do of Alnin, her sibling. Oh, I haven't even introduced myself yet. I'm Tuntematon, prophet of Alnin. It seems that Alnin is blessing you with encounters with the strange lately as well."
    Lily's mouth quirked up in a surprised smile at the mention of Alnin. "A prophet of the trouble-making God? This will be a strange journey indeed." She gestured at Kanok. "But he's right, we should go. How should we carry your injured friend?"

Spoiler: Gods
    Show

Lily's tribe generally favors Muira, goddess of rivers, lakes, tradition, and enmity towards Alnin.
    Luckily, Lily's not particularly religious.

16. - Top - End - #1156

Asha growled and spat on the ground near Lily's feet. "She stays away from Eldien. And from me."

17. - Top - End - #1157

Griffon

Lily's mouth quirked up in a surprised smile at the mention of Alnin. "A prophet of the trouble-making God? This will be a strange journey indeed." She gestured at Kanok. "But he's right, we should go. How should we carry your injured friend?"

Spoiler: Gods
    Show

Lily's tribe generally favors Muira, goddess of rivers, lakes, tradition, and enmity towards Alnin.
    Luckily, Lily's not particularly religious.
    "We don't really know him, just found him in the Dead Valley yesterday, about to be eaten by some weird creatures. We figured it wouldn't do to just leave him there, but it's a bit of burden to carry him around. I hope we find a place to leave him in soon." Taesha walks up to the man and throws him over her shoulder, "I'll carry him today, if Kanok takes the halfling?"

"Right, that reminds me", Taesha points at the other halfling, "He's not one of us, but our prisoner. We found him on the Fifth mountain, and suspect his tribe is up to no good."

EDIT:
    She looks up at the mountain to the mountains rising to the west. So, which way are we going?
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-05-11 at 03:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanok shrugs at Taesha's question, grabbing the halfling by the legs and flipping him over one shoulder like an in-animate sack. He then begins walking uphill, towards the caldera. He tries to pick out the least difficult path.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival for easiest path?

Survival: (1d20+15)[18]

You could make a case for that being a knowledge geography check instead, so if this doesn't work, that's fine with me.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

19. - Top - End - #1159

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    Kanok shrugs at Taesha's question, grabbing the halfling by the legs and flipping him over one shoulder like an in-animate sack. He then begins walking uphill, towards the caldera. He tries to pick out the least difficult path.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival for easiest path?

Survival: [roll0]

You could make a case for that being a knowledge geography check instead, so if this doesn't work, that's fine with me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Survival is ok.

There is no obvious used path in sight, but Kanok finds a route which allows them all to proceed without having to resort to climbing and lifting. At least for the time being.

Some of them go hunting on the way, and while the Fiery Maw is not the most lively moutain, they manage to catch a lone mountain goat and two big lizards that look edible. It's enough to feed the whole company today and almost for another day too.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Survival DC is 12 in this terrain, which means you got 14 portions from these checks. There's 11 mouths in your current troupe, though some are small and Asha's Everlasting Rations provide for one, so you use up 8 portions per day. Taking into account what you had from before, after you stopping to rest and eat today, you'll have almost 2 days worth of reserves.

Tuntematon also searches for suitable slingstones and finds about twenty that will do the job. While looking, he notices that many of the loose rocks of the area are lighter than what he would expect.

At the time of early dusk, Eldien draws their attention to a distant figure on the eastern sky, currently over the Dead Valley. "I believe our winged follower has returned", she says, squinting her eyes, "Don't think he has located us yet."

Spoiler: Spot DC 20
    Show
    You confirm her sighting.
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-05-12 at 05:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1160

Kobold

"Alright, looks like we need to put our discussions on hold for a little bit, I see our winged pursuer has come to our general direction. Let's find a depression to hide in, and I'll call on the aid of Alnin to help us obscure ourselves. It'll only be a mist, but on this mountain, we may pass the depression off as a volcanic vent. Maybe have the person best at hiding stay out and see when the birdman flies off." The centaur then turns to the captive halfling. "Oh, and if you try to pull ANYTHING, well, just think about what you'll say to Sheirin when you get to meet him today."

With that, the centaur immediately starts to look for such a place to hide.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will search for a suitable depression, then when we get into it, Tuntematon will cast Obscuring Mist.

Checks to see if I can find such a depression myself:
    Search: (1d20+1)[15]
    Spot: (1d20+2)[3]

21. - Top - End - #1161

Griffon

"Alright, looks like we need to put our discussions on hold for a little bit, I see our winged pursuer has come to our general direction. Let's find a depression to hide in, and I'll call on the aid of Alnin to help us obscure ourselves. It'll only be a mist, but on this mountain, we may pass the depression off as a volcanic vent. Maybe have the person best at hiding stay out and see when the birdman flies off." The centaur then turns to the captive halfling. "Oh, and if you try to pull ANYTHING, well, just think about what you'll say to Sheirin when you get to meet him today."

Spoiler
    Show
    Will search for a suitable depression, then when we get into it, Tuntematon will cast Obscuring Mist.

Search: [roll0]
    Spot: [roll1]
    "And you were supposed to let me go by know!", the halfling shouts in return, "What does it matter anyway. You're too far from most of them already, the only one who could still follow you is the birdguy, and he ain't strong enough to fight all of you by himself."

There is a formation of rocks that could grant cover to at least some of your large party. Whether they still could be spotted, depends on how perceptive the winged man is.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post

At the time of early dusk, Eldien draws their attention to a distant figure on the eastern sky, currently over the Dead Valley. "I believe our winged follower has returned", she says, squinting her eyes, "Don't think he has located us yet."

Spoiler: Spot DC 20
    Show
    You confirm her sighting.

Spoiler
    Show

Search: [roll0]
    Spot: [roll1]
    Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    "And you were supposed to let me go by know!", the halfling shouts in return, "What does it matter anyway. You're too far from most of them already, the only one who could still follow you is the birdguy, and he ain't strong enough to fight all of you by himself."

There is a formation of rocks that could grant cover to at least some of your large party. Whether they still could be spotted, depends on how perceptive the winged man is.
    Lily squints up at the sky, but sees nothing. "Is this 'birdguy' dangerous? If so, I'm fine with shooting him. Seems to solve most problems." She looks quickly at the halfling prisoner. "Sorry if he's your friend. But I like not dying."

23. - Top - End - #1163

Griffon

The party decides its best to try to catch the flier following them, and come up with a plan to get him down. They gag their prisoner and sprinkle some of the illusion dust they have on Lily, and it creates strange tricks of light, making her look like him, at least to the casual observer. Then Lily climbs up the hill, to wait for a opportune moment to run back down to get the birdman's attention. The others hide in the cover of the rocks, weapons ready. Kanok removes his armour, so he can move more freely. Stiira hides at another spot, some tens of feet away from them.

They wait, and after a time the birdman circles closer, his gaze passing by the area where they are.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+4)[17]

He doesn't change his course, which suggests he hasn't noticed anything suspicous.
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-05-25 at 03:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1164

Griffon

When their target is close enough, Lily runs down the hill waving her arms wildly. She doesn't shout, as the disguise hasn't altered her voice any. The birdman spots her and quickly changes his course towards her, descending while he nears.

He resembles much a human or elf, except that his head is more cone-shaped than the members of those species, and the body is more lithe. Then there are of course the large grey wings that sprout from his back. He's carrying a longbow and quiver, but has no armour over his clothes or other visible gear.

Spoiler: Visual aid
    Show
    Though with longer hair, no armor and not holding the bow like that.

He flies over Lily's head, twenty feet above ground level. "You got away then?", he shouts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20)[19]
    Disguise: (1d20+8)[11]
    Spot: [roll]1d20+9[roll]

EDIT: Agh, messed that up. Well, he made the Will save already, so it doesn't matter.

He squints his eyes. "Wait..."
    He flaps his wings and it looks like he's about to fly higher again.

Spoiler: Party's turn
    Show
    You've got one surprise round, before initiative is rolled.
    The raptoran is 20 ft. above Lily.
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-05-27 at 11:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Lily quickly throws the net before the moment evaporates.

Attack: (1d20+4)[10]

26. - Top - End - #1166

Griffon

The raptoran instinctively evades the flung object and the net flies past him. The winged man's eyes widen. "You are not Riih!"
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-05-27 at 01:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanok rushes out from his hiding place at a dead run, leaving his squished captive behind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moves 50ft closer.

I should be below him next round after 10ft, right? Is there anything he could jump off of that's higher than the ground, like a boulder? Regardless, can he keep his "20ft running headstart" for a jump on his next turn?
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

28. - Top - End - #1168

Griffon

Kanok tries to grab the raptoran, but he's too high for him to reach. Taesha hurries after him, watching her step this time, and throws a spear at the birdman, aiming at his left wing.

Spoiler
    Show

Called Shot on the wing: (1d20+2)[4] (-2 penalty from easy difficulty, and -2 from 1 range increment included)
    Damage: (1d6+3)[4]

If hit, in Pathfinder he would need to make a Fly check or descend 10 feet. Since that is not a skill in 3.5 however, I'm going to rule it as a Fort save DC 10 + 1/2*damage taken. (That original DC 10 is ridiculously low imo.) This sound ok to you?

It could also be a Concentration check, but since only casters usually invest in that skill, I think a Fort save would be more fair.

EDIT: I think it's becoming very clear that the spear is not Taesha's weapon. Her record with that is... less than great.

It flies past its target.
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-05-29 at 03:27 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1169

Asha grabbed the halfling and pulled him within view of the birdman. Her bone spur pointing straight at the Halfling's gut. "This the friend you were looking for? Land so we can talk."

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aidan also takes aim at the birdman's wing, and lets loose an arrow.

Spoiler: attack
    Show
    (1d20+7)[24]
    (1d8+1)[4]

Not sure if I'm out of 1st range increment or not, so just add the modifier if necessary.