New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Noncivilized World: Message in a Dream IC

Tuntematon

The holy centaur saw Taesha weakening, and rushed to help. "I don't think you're in very good shape here. You seem like you're getting kind of wobbly. How bad did those spiders bite you? Let me check out your wounds more closely." Tuntematon then started treating her wounds with what he had on hand.

"And good sir Halfling, wait! Please do not leave immediately! You seem in no shape to travel alone in these woods. In fact, I think traveling alone may be what got you in this trouble in the first place. Please, good sir, let us at least help you till dawn. And while you're here, let me tell you some of the wonders of Anlin, the Unknown One."

Spoiler
    Show
    Use the Heal skill to help her resist what poison is left in her system.

Rolls:
    Heal To Treat Poison: (1d20+2)[16]
    Last edited by Rathgar; 2014-02-12 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added the bit about the Halfling

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Asha willing let Kanok take the elf. Holding her ribs she stood, shaking her head at Tuntematon's attempts to convert the halfling. "It is safe to go alone if you are good in the ancestors eyes. Though I would run faster if you kept up your speaking of this 'god'." Poor fool, he must have been the mad runt of his tribe. Though there must be more madmen in the tribe if they taught of living gods.
    Last edited by Athedia; 2014-02-12 at 04:58 PM.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

3. - Top - End - #123

Kobold

Tuntematon

"If I am mad, then who is it that gives me the power to work miracles? And who is it that guided me here by making me lost? I believe that it be hän, the deity Anlin, who gives me such power."

4. - Top - End - #124

Griffon

Tuntematon is able to prevent the poison from harming Taesha further.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, good that someone remembers what Heal can do!

Just earlier today I couldn't remember that and had my cleric waste a scroll. Oh, well, it happens.

The halflings footsteps stop, but he stays out of view. "...Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll be fine by myself. You big people make such noise, I can hide. Those monsters just got lucky."

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you guys want to continue this scene or move forward?
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

5. - Top - End - #125

"Leave him. If he says he can hide, Malphas taught me that is the safest measure. And we are loud." Asha started walking the toward the cat, "The elf still needs us, but the little one was not invited on our journey."

6. - Top - End - #126

Kobold

Tuntematon

"Well, I guess if we must let you go, we must. Be careful. Though come to think of it, you likely are better at sneaking than my people. Your feet are way fatter and less cloppy than the hooves of normal folk."

7. - Top - End - #127

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving on now, if you really want to respond to something from before, it can be done retroactively.

The group continues their trip through the forest, choosing to follow the wildcat again. It is now very dark, though the bright fullmoon Tietra does provide some illumination through the branches and leaves. They hear a wolf howl somewhere, but nothing comes to bother them.

Finally, light from another source reaches the travellers' eyes and they notice that the cat is leading them right towards it. When the group get closer, they can see that it's coming from a small campfire. Located a few feet behind it, is a small hut, made of branches and clay.

The wildcat sprints forward from the forest's shadows and passes the fire, tiptoeing towards the hut. A fur-covered hand reaches out from inside it and strokes the cat, before the whole figure scrambles out to view and rises up. To the members of secluded tribes she may look strange; she stands on two feet like a humanoid, but has a wolf-like head and her whole body is covered with long brown fur. She's wearing some more furs as clothing and several stones, feathers, bones and teeth hang on strings around her neck.

Leaning to a long staff the gnoll limps a few steps forward and the young ones realize that she is quite old.
    "You took your sweet time to arrive", she says with a growling voice and a smirk, though it could as well be a grimace.

Spoiler
    Show
    A Knowledge(religion) check could tell you something about her 'trinkets'.
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-02-13 at 09:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanok carefully shrugs the elf off his shoulders and lays her down near the fire, then straightens back up and stretches; several pops can be heard. He turns to the elderly gnoll with a look of cautious scepticism, "You sent those dreams?"
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2014-02-13 at 01:00 PM.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

9. - Top - End - #129

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+1)[8]

"We were attacked, spider people." Asha's bird settled down on her shoulder as she knelt by the fire. As Kanok let the elf to the ground she checked the girl to make sure she was healing from her wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal Check: (1d20+2)[15]

10. - Top - End - #130

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    Kanok carefully shrugs the elf off his shoulders and lays her down near the fire, then straightens back up and stretches; several pops can be heard. He turns to the elderly gnoll with a look of cautious scepticism, "You sent those dreams?"
    "Some of it", the old gnoll replies and sits down close to the fire, "Most of it came from a bit higher up. Very nice images, weren't they." She eyes the members of the group. "I had hoped more would come. But many don't care much for a few dreams, I see. You'll have to do then."

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Religion: [roll0]

"We were attacked, spider people." Asha's bird settled down on her shoulder as she knelt by the fire. As Kanok let the elf to the ground she checked the girl to make sure she was healing from her wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal Check: [roll1]
    "Oh yes, those cretins", the gnoll says and strokes the wildcat's fur with a crooked grin on her face, "They'd started to eat about a third that came to see me. Very bothersome."

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    "Some of it", the old gnoll replies and sits down close to the fire, "Most of it came from a bit higher up. Very nice images, weren't they." She eyes the members of the group. "I had hoped more would come. But many don't care much for a few dreams, I see. You'll have to do then."

"Oh yes, those cretins", the gnoll says and strokes the wildcat's fur with a crooked grin on her face, "They'd started to eat about a third that came to see me. Very bothersome."
    "A third? And you didn't think to warn us? Or were we just cleaning up your mess back there."

12. - Top - End - #132

Kobold

"Greetings, it's good to see one who is not trying to eat us. What may be the reason for us being brought here? It is by the blessing of Alnin that we even managed to make it this far."

13. - Top - End - #133

Griffon

"A third? And you didn't think to warn us? Or were we just cleaning up your mess back there."
    " 'My mess'? ", the old gnoll growls, "Is it my fault if a pair of web sprouting ettercaps lay their nest close to my home? Besides, I had to test you. If you couldn't hold your ground against a few forest monsters, you'd be no use to me. Or this poor doomed realm." She rolls her eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathgar View Post
    "Greetings, it's good to see one who is not trying to eat us. What may be the reason for us being brought here? It is by the blessing of Alnin that we even managed to make it this far."
    "Greetings to yourself, horse-man. Nah, I wouldn't eat you, too chewy for my old teeth." Her wicked grin has indeed several holes as she stares at the centaur. "Following the Lady's saner sibling, do you? Hm, wouldn't mind it if another deity took interest here, although that one is as unpredictable as the spring wind."
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-02-13 at 08:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Kobold

"Maybe so, but is it not the unpredictable spring wind that brings forth the rains that allow the land to flourish?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanok furrows his brow, as if somewhat annoyed, and interrupts the theological debate, "What threatens the land?" He has no patience for clouded words and is in no mood for light talk.

It must be something big, if she expected the Dragon Clan warrior to fight alongside a tusked warrior.
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2014-02-13 at 09:07 PM.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aidan sits down opposite the fire from the gnoll.
    I would also like to know. What is enough of a threat to cause a gathering like this?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Taesha leaned on her spear as they halted, still feeling stiff from the ettercap's poison, and certainly the worse for wear overall. She stared at the wolf-woman in surprise and almost leveled her weapon at the creature, but her allies' careful words calmed her.

The others all voiced her concerns though; what was this disaster that would befall the world, and how could they stop it. She did not much appreciate this woman's underhanded trick to 'test' them, but she had acquitted herself well. And regardless of her feelings, she needed to do this, for her tribe, and for the people of the world itself.

18. - Top - End - #138

Griffon

"Maybe so, but is it not the unpredictable spring wind that brings forth the rains that allow the land to flourish?"
    The knoll snorts, "Or thunderstorms that set the trees on fire."

Kanok furrows his brow, as if somewhat annoyed, and interrupts the theological debate, "What threatens the land?" He has no patience for clouded words and is in no mood for light talk.

It must be something big, if she expected the Dragon Clan warrior to fight alongside a tusked warrior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Etherion View Post
    Aidan sits down opposite the fire from the gnoll.
    I would also like to know. What is enough of a threat to cause a gathering like this?
    The gnoll stares at the fire for a while, the flames reflecting from her yellow eyes. "You saw the devastation in the dream. The petty rivalry between the clans wouldn't cause that. At least I hope so. As for what would", she barks and looks annoyed, "I... don't know. Or at least I'm not sure."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanok puzzles for a moment, "You have gathered us; what are you planning?" He meets her eyes, trying to discern her motives.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

20. - Top - End - #140

Griffon

Kanok puzzles for a moment, "You have gathered us; what are you planning?" He meets her eyes, trying to discern her motives.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Want to roll Sense Motive?

The gnoll shifts her gaze to Kanok. "I said I do not know for sure. But I do have some suspicions, they should be confirmed. Or proven wrong, if that's the case. And there are a few others, who might know more than I do, someone should ask them."

"Have you heard about the Dead Plains? Or ever been to Suojella mountains?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge checks can tell you something.
    Arcana, History and Local about the first.
    Geography, Local and Nature about the second.

21. - Top - End - #141

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana:(1d20+6)[13]
    History: (1d20+1)[12]

If I can only roll one I pick Arcana.

22. - Top - End - #142

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge checks:

Dead Plains:
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC 10:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a piece of barren land, located a day's journey south-east from here. According to legends, a bloody battle was once fought there, and the place is believed to be cursed.

DC 15:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Many years ago, one tribe (possibly halflings or gnomes, though it could have also been dwarves) came to posses somekind of powerful artifact. When other tribes heard of it, many wanted it for themselves, which of course resulted in a great number of hostilities and bloodshed between them. This time of discord culminated in a horrible battle that depleted many tribes of most of their warriors. And for nothing, since the artifact was lost, and the final battlefield cursed.

It is rumoured that the numerous slain warriors of humans, elves, halflings, orcs, gnolls and many others left there to rot and decay without proper burial never found true peace and still haunt the place.

DC 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    None of you made the DC. So why are you reading this? Tsk tsk...

Suojella mountains:
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC 10:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Suojella refers to a mountainous area two days walk to the west. There are five high mountaintops, named after the four elements, the one extra simply called 'Fifth'. Some old myths refer to the mountains as elemental guardian spirits. Elves, orcs and dwarves are known to inhabit the area.

DC 15:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two tribes of elves and three of orcs live in the area. The two races are on hostile terms, and the clans of the same race have weak alliances. Two dwarven tribes live higher and partly inside the mountains and are mostly indifferent about the others.

In addition, some winged humanoids are rumoured to live high up in the mountains, where members of the other races rarely ascend.

DC 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The story of elemental guardians is at least not entirely false. Elemental prophets dwell on these mountains, though the exact locations of their homes are not commonly known.

The oldest an most obscure tales claim that the mountains guard a great danger sealed within the Fifth mountain, though they are very inconsistent of its nature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Giving you a chance to respond if you like, before she says anything else.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanok scratches his bearded chin, thinking, "I saw the mountains for the first time while coming here. The speakers of my tribe have said much them." With that, he puts his back to the fire and equips his shield and spear, in a non-threatening way. He's in the habit of being vigilant.

"They say prophets dwell on four of the peaks, and the fifth contains a great danger." He speaks as if he knows what she's going to say next. In fact, he has a pretty good idea. He happens to be staring in the exact direction of Fifth peak.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

24. - Top - End - #144

Asha spat on the ground. "Dead Plains? The ancestors abandoned that land. Only a curse dwells there, fueled by the blood of so many."
    Last edited by Athedia; 2014-02-15 at 02:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"I know those tales," Taesha added after Kanok spoke. "if our chooser does not know the nature of this oncoming disaster, maybe one of the prophets will. Or perhaps it is the danger of Fifth."

26. - Top - End - #146

Griffon

Kanok scratches his bearded chin, thinking, "I saw the mountains for the first time while coming here. The speakers of my tribe have said much them." With that, he puts his back to the fire and equips his shield and spear, in a non-threatening way. He's in the habit of being vigilant.

"They say prophets dwell on four of the peaks, and the fifth contains a great danger." He speaks as if he knows what she's going to say next. In fact, he has a pretty good idea. He happens to be staring in the exact direction of Fifth peak.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrE View Post
    "I know those tales," Taesha added after Kanok spoke. "if our chooser does not know the nature of this oncoming disaster, maybe one of the prophets will. Or perhaps it is the danger of Fifth."
    "I did not choose you", the old gnoll says and shakes her head, "But the one who did doesn't know how to give clear instructions.." She snorts. "Anyway.. So you have heard of the mountains? Yes... There is an old... seal within the Fifth. It has been there for several lifetimes and frankly, I find it hard to believe that it would have suddenly broken. ...But I can't be sure. The Lady has shown you to me, so I will tell you how to find it, if you go to check on it."

"The prophets... could now something or not, if you can even find them that is. I know very little of them. There is also a mortal who might have an idea of what threatens the realm, living in those mountains. This one crazy elf sage", she spits to the fire, "who climbed the Calm Wind* some years back, looking for winged creatures, or some other nonsense. Couldn't stand him really, but he is old. Knows many things others have forgotten."

Spoiler
    Show
    *The most southern mountain.

Asha spat on the ground. "Dead Plains? The ancestors abandoned that land. Only a curse dwells there, fueled by the blood of so many."
    "A curse, the dead, and recently, also a necromancer", she speaks the last word with hatred, "A deformed creature he is. He and his witch mother were chased out of the tribe long ago. Just heard that he'd made the Dead Plains his home. I don't know what he's doing there, but the dead have never wished the living any good." She growls. "Or those who play with them. Who knows, he could well be collecting the vengeful dead that dwell there to form an army!" The old gnoll scratches her head. "Or maybe he just likes the company. And on the off chance that he's actually not up to mischief, it might still be useful to... have a word with him. As despicable as disturbing the fallen is, I admit that it might lead to knowledge that none of the living posseses. Might have to poke him with a spear to get it out though."

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to respond to any part of her speech you like. It doesn't matter if the conversation splits a little, the exact structure of it is not important.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Kanok listens quietly while the old gnoll witch speaks, gazing off into the dark forest. When she is done, he just stares off for a while, takes a drink from his waterskin, and eats a handful of berries he picked a while ago. The thought of undead fills him with a mix of fear and fury. He has seen walking dead, usually the corpses of tusked warriors who fell to cannibalism to survive (or so the shamans said) and emerged from their dark caves to find meat, and those were dangerous, but they didn't frighten him more than any other combatant.

No, what frightened him were the wendigo; horrific spirits that haunt lone travelers and lure people away from their tribes, with white fur stained with blood, antlers like a snow elk, claws like a hunting cat, and bloody jagged-bone stumps for feet. They fly on blizzard winds, howling like tortured wolves, to carry you away into the sky and turn you into one of their own. He heard their howls once, when he was young, during a particularly deadly winter storm. He still occasionally has nightmares about it. He suppresses a shiver.

He doubts that this ..."necro-mancer" is the coming calamity that the dreams warned of, but the thought of someone intentionally creating or summoning the un-dead is an affront to Fern and nature itself, and fills him with disgust and anger besides. If nothing else, Kanok wants to take the opportunity to stop such things while he can, the sooner the better, and the gnoll is right, he may in fact know something that they don't. Poke him with a spear indeed. Kanok smirks. That mountain isn't going anywhere anyway.

Without turning, he speaks, "Tell us all you know of this 'necromancer' and his mother."
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2014-02-15 at 07:37 PM.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

28. - Top - End - #148

Asha gripped Giants Fear tightly. "The ancestors are to be respected! Not enslaved. Only those worthy can come back, and only to help their descendants. He messes with the very order of life." Even though he was only using the bodies of the dead it still creeped her out. "Though I suppose it is better because it is not his own tribe."

29. - Top - End - #149

Kobold

"Where on this mountain might we find this 'crazy elf'. And what might the name of his be? It might help us in speaking with him is we know his name. And for that matter, what might your name be, good lady?"

30. - Top - End - #150

Griffon

Without turning, he speaks, "Tell us all you know of this 'necromancer' and his mother."
    "The mother was a witch, played mostly with mirages and charms of what I remember. Don't know where she learned that, it's not the kind of magic practiced in our tribe and it surely didn't make her popular. You see, they only value straightforward strength in my old tribe."

"Anyway, then she had that monster child. Nobody knew who was the father, but it certainly wasn't a gnoll. Eventually they were chased out to die in the wild. But it seems they didn't, guess the her illusions had their uses. Though she should be dead now, since it's been so long. I was but a whelp back then."

The old gnoll snorts again. "But now the son has decided to disturb the fallen. Truly, I would very much like to know where they've learned these bothersome magics; remember to ask that if you go after him. I've asked the Lady of the Moons myself, but never got a sensibly reply."

Asha gripped Giants Fear tightly. "The ancestors are to be respected! Not enslaved. Only those worthy can come back, and only to help their descendants. He messes with the very order of life." Even though he was only using the bodies of the dead it still creeped her out. "Though I suppose it is better because it is not his own tribe."
    The gnoll bursts into barking laughter. "Girl, nearly every tribe has ancestors laying around in that gods forsaken place. It was a bloodbath, the battle in the old times, the grimmest tales describe the gorgeous banquet that the crows feasted on later," she scratces her chin, thinking, "Hm, okay, a few did stay out of it, but our tribe was definitely involved."

"Where on this mountain might we find this 'crazy elf'. And what might the name of his be? It might help us in speaking with him is we know his name. And for that matter, what might your name be, good lady?"
    The gnoll rises her eyebrows, as if surprised that Tuntematon asked, "I am Kell, this one's Shun," she points to the cat. "As for the elf, you'll need to climb Calm Wind to find him. Don't think he ever came down. The locals could probably tell you more, though I'd ask the dwarves if I were you. The elves and the orcs are not fond of strangers, though they like each other even less."

"Oh, his name? ...Guess he must've had one", Kell scratches her head and is silent for a while, "...Maybe it was Alerin. Or Alunor. Hmh, something like that."