New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Why would somebody play an non-caster?

All of this matters little in the end. The fighting man will shrug, and roll up a new one in minutes. It's only the player enjoyment that matters after all.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Azkur View Post
    Thank you. I'm trying but I can't put it better than this.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This is hyperbole. You're not going to die from playing a low tier class; lack of abilities and lack of vitamins don't equate.
    well, lack of abilities and power, can certainly contribute to your characters death...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

So half of the posters say that it's because casters are "easy mode".

However, mundanes even suck atbeing a challange, since you only need an horridly built wizard(barr Conjuration, anybody?) to create a liability,

4. - Top - End - #94

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    However, mundanes even suck atbeing a challange, since you only need an horridly built wizard(barr Conjuration, anybody?) to create a liability,
    I seem to recall a quote about how casters beat martials at everything, including sucking.

Something about how fighters can just stab themselves while wizards can banish themselves directly to the 9th layer of Hell.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Err, I think most agree that the main reason people choose to play a non-caster is because they want, as in that is their wish and a source of enjoyment.
    Last edited by Gwendol; 2014-02-03 at 02:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

For my part, it's because the inherent limitations in being a mundane or a gish as opposed to a straight caster make working out builds more interesting. Building a caster is like filling in a blank sudoku grid.
    I have a bad habit of writing O-Chul as O'Chul, like he's some kind of blue-bearded Scots-Irish crusader. I habitually pronounce "Mystic Theurge" as "Mystic The Urge".

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

MonkGuy

Possibly. I know people who can literally eat the same meal for days on end without getting tired of it.
    There are people that have, for example, eaten the same thing for breakfast for decades.

I'll just point out the other problem with the ''so many options they are so awesome'' casters: They can do too much. And not everyone can handle that much. So when some demons attack the player gets overwhelmed by the options. Of course, it works best in games with time limits on actions. Where a player has a set amount of time to take their turn or loose it. Even better if you count ''no time'' things in the game against the real time limit...like knowledge checks. Player: "I see demons, roll knowledge, DM tell me all about demons''. DM tells player about demons for 30 seconds and then says ''Sorry your time is up, you stand there for the round, next player go."

Though common sense rulings, not doing the rule worship, and other such things really make casters not so awesome. So if you play in a game like that, mundanes are fun.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Though common sense rulings, not doing the rule worship, and other such things really make casters not so awesome. So if you play in a game like that, mundanes are fun.
    Mundanes are fun regardless, if that's what the player wants to do. Even in a high op game, there's something satisfying about landing a twisted charge on an opponent for over 1,000 damage and making them pop like a balloon.

If nothing else, mundanes can achieve big numbers. A lot of players like big numbers.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I don't really know what you mean by "common sense rulings". Is that like outright house rules? Cause a lot of the best stuff that casters do is incredibly within the rules, to the point where there is no interpretation required.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kudaku View Post
    I seem to recall a quote about how casters beat martials at everything, including sucking.

Something about how fighters can just stab themselves while wizards can banish themselves directly to the 9th layer of Hell.
    It's in Flickerdarts Sig and it's a quote from JaronK.
    (Currently afk halfway across the country.)

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    I don't really know what you mean by "common sense rulings". Is that like outright house rules? Cause a lot of the best stuff that casters do is incredibly within the rules, to the point where there is no interpretation required.
    It depends on your interpretation, of course.

Well, common sense would tell me the Solars would make a defense against Gate abuse and/or come after any mortal that used it on one of them. But the player of a caster would say ''the rules don't say that happens, so it does not happen.''

Though there are lots of wrong interpretations out there....like the idea that a creature can voluntarily drop it's immunities.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

It depends on your interpretation, of course.

Well, common sense would tell me the Solars would make a defense against Gate abuse and/or come after any mortal that used it on one of them. But the player of a caster would say ''the rules don't say that happens, so it does not happen.''

Though there are lots of wrong interpretations out there....like the idea that a creature can voluntarily drop it's immunities.
    I've seen the argument there, and I tend to disagree with it, but that's irrelevant. Gating solars can hang out in the corner while the wizard, perfectly within RAW, can alter self and polymorph into a ton of different things, shoot a solid fog that ends an encounter, hit golems within AMF's with a ball of fire, and do a million other things that break the game utterly. Druids are even better at this kinda thing, because most of their great stuff reads like PO, with spells like entangle, control winds, and venomfire, all doing exactly what they say. You can come up with some sort of argument for some things, maybe even some things I've listed, but there's always going to be a core of utterly ridiculous things that you have absolutely no counter-argument for, and that will be more than enough to wreck things.

13. - Top - End - #103

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    It's in Flickerdarts Sig and it's a quote from JaronK.
    Thanks

14. - Top - End - #104
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    I find that the term "house rules" is often bandied about here with disdain, as though tweaking such a complex and fragile system to not be so fragile is the worst kind of sinful/shameful act a DM can commit. And yet I would wager the majority of DMs use at least a few, while the ones that claim not to instead have some form of gentleman's agreement in place instead. Even Tippy uses at least the latter.

So yeah, I'm proud to say that our games have houserules, and we think nothing of it. Both the DMG and CRB actively encourage it, after all (the latter, a bit more explicitly.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I find that the term "house rules" is often bandied about here with disdain, as though tweaking such a complex and fragile system to not be so fragile is the worst kind of sinful/shameful act a DM can commit. And yet I would wager the majority of DMs use at least a few, while the ones that claim not to instead have some form of gentleman's agreement in place instead. Even Tippy uses at least the latter.

So yeah, I'm proud to say that our games have houserules, and we think nothing of it. Both the DMG and CRB actively encourage it, after all (the latter, a bit more explicitly.)
    Sure, house rules are fine. Just clarifying what we're talking about here. House rules are mostly only problematic when they come up in optimization-talk, and when they are bad.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

However, mundanes even suck at being a challange, since you only need an horridly built wizard (ban Conjuration, anybody?) to create a liability,
    Spoiler: Tangent: Horribly built wizards
    Show
    A horribly built wizard is still something that's difficult to do on accident. And no, banning conjuration does not make a wizard into a liability. They still have access to divination (and the spontaneous divination ACF), enchantment, illusion, necromancy and transmutation. There are plenty of spells in every other school to still allow the wizard to reign nigh-supreme near the top of the food chain (obviously not THE top, since THE top is occupied by a conjurer ).

Have you actually played a high level (12+) wizard? For some people, the bookkeeping is too much - having to rewrite your prepped spell list every D&D morning can become a huge hassle, especially when you're picking spells that are spread across four books because half of them weren't printed in Spell Compendium. For others, most notably those with mastery of the system, the ability to end every encounter with one or two spells can be a drag. Defeating everything your DM throws at you in one round may be fun for you, but look at the other players (including the DM!). If they never get a chance to do anything but narrate how their characters shuffle about uncomfortably while you get your thing on, then they're probably not having fun. D&D is not about just you - it is about everyone at the table (including the DM!) - and every table is different. Some people want to play Lancelot, not Merlin, etc.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2014-02-03 at 03:49 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Kind of seconding everyone, their mother and the kitchen sink on the "Because I'm not in it to win, I'm in it for the fun/RP." Even as someone drawn to the magic class of every game he plays (Psychic, Warmage, Mage, etc.), I don't really like the amount of prep that the DnD prepared casting classes require. I'll play a sorcerer and still be effective by being a good generalist (or maybe thematic if being a sorcerer is a plot point). I'll play a Warmage and be great at throwing around damage right away with no forethought because that's the character. I remember playing a Mage during several runs in DA. Most effective one was a brutal debuffing, healing machine. However, I still needed the tanks to do damage while I ran away if things got ugly. It was fun, but I wasn't the only character on my team. Sometimes I want to play the guy who the Wizard is buffing instead.

Plus, as one of my friends put it: "I play a Crusader because at the lower levels, your prepared caster runs out of spells rather quickly, while I can keep smacking and recovering all day long." Especially to newer players, looking at a Wizard or a Sorcerer and seeing that they get, what, 4-6 spells a day at level 1, plus a small d4 hit dice (not an argument against a cleric, obviously), it's not encouraging to play at low levels, which some people forget is still played.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Part of why I choose mundanes as opposed to casters is, as others have said, because I personally find it to be more fun/flavorful to fight creatures with a hunk of metal than slinging spells. Sure, a wizard could mimic a fighter very closely and exceed one in fighting ability with the right buffs, but that just doesn't have the feel/flavor I'm going for.

The other reason I choose mundanes is that they can do their thing at will. Swinging a sword can be done every round for a very long time. You might lose some hp, but that's also pretty renewable (fast healing, etc). Whenever I've played a wizard/other caster in a campaign, they've run out of spells very quickly, and my dms don't usually let us do "well, it's been 5 minutes and all your spells are gone, time to rest for 8 hours". (This is why I really want to play a warlock at some point- at will abilities and a decent amount of options? heck yeah).

Different strokes for different people, I guess.
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

No offense but is my impression that you are solely on this thread (and by extension the reason you created it) to throw in some exeggarated view of stereotypical munchkins, spike it with one or two stock phrases like Stormwind Fallacy and just watch how many people take the bait in any way inaccurate...?
    We'll build a fortress
    To keep them out
    And in a world gone silent
    I'll be your sound

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Spoiler: Tangent: Horribly built wizards
    Show
    A horribly built wizard is still something that's difficult to do on accident. And no, banning conjuration does not make a wizard into a liability. They still have access to divination (and the spontaneous divination ACF), enchantment, illusion, necromancy and transmutation. There are plenty of spells in every other school to still allow the wizard to reign nigh-supreme near the top of the food chain (obviously not THE top, since THE top is occupied by a conjurer ).

Have you actually played a high level (12+) wizard? For some people, the bookkeeping is too much - having to rewrite your prepped spell list every D&D morning can become a huge hassle, especially when you're picking spells that are spread across four books because half of them weren't printed in Spell Compendium. For others, most notably those with mastery of the system, the ability to end every encounter with one or two spells can be a drag. Defeating everything your DM throws at you in one round may be fun for you, but look at the other players (including the DM!). If they never get a chance to do anything but narrate how their characters shuffle about uncomfortably while you get your thing on, then they're probably not having fun. D&D is not about just you - it is about everyone at the table (including the DM!) - and every table is different. Some people want to play Lancelot, not Merlin, etc.
    While I haven't played a high level wizard, I have played a high level druid. And there are two points here I strongly disagree on.

1) At least in the case of druids, I found that if I was changing my spell list, I was only making minor changes. This may be more because the druid can spontaneously summon, so I may be willing to accept that wizards need to change out more.

2) Yeah, encounter-ending spells. I'll agree to this. Although if the DM throws things which can dispel or the like, this isn't as much of a point.

3) I get wanting to play a warrior, not a wizard. The thing I don't get is that there are ways to play a warrior where you have options. Playing a fighter/barbarian/whatever in combat means "I full attack. Then, I full attack. Oh, he moved away? I charge/move and attack." In comparison, gishes and ToB have options. Don't want a magical fighter, go look up ToB and play a warblade.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Replicate this moment as a Wizard and I might consider playing one:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, judging by how badly they're holding those swords, they probably are poor BaB. So both might be wizards?
    LGBTA+itP

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HammeredWharf View Post
    Looks like my answer is a bit unusual, but here goes: because I like optimization. As a wizard, winning at D&D is way too easy. You win when you pick wizard as your class and get >16 intelligence. Most casters are similarly boring. As a mundane character, however, you have to carefully pick your abilities and actually put effort into your build. That's more interesting.
    I kinda take issue with this. A lot of people claim that playing as a caster is playing on "easy mode" but that's a matter of poor DM'ing.

Running a game to challenge casters is certainly a more complex prospect than doing the same for non-casters but it's eminently doable. Spells and spellcasters have limits and failing to account for these is not the fault of the person who built the caster.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

23. - Top - End - #113
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Well, have you ever fought against someone that abuses attacks of opportunity?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahoy, fair adventurer, it be the line to get into the Salty Tavern of Optimized Character Builds. The roughest, toughest tavern ever to be built in an hour from a single plank of wood.

Only the most broken min/maxed wizards can get in. You need to have contingencies [flexes beard]. You need to have contingencies for your contingencies [flexes even more, creates even more beards]. You need to have contingencies on your eyeballs! [flexes his eyes, creating beards]

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

There are at least two different forms of houserules. One is the basic "RAW is literally not functioning here and absolutely must be fixed to make the game run", and another is "RAW works OK but we don't like its implications". (A third might be "RAW is perfectly fine but lacks some implications and complications we want to introduce".) The first of these is, of course, present in all practical games. The second is reasonably common, but can go wrong rather more easily, either because the implications of the RAW way are actually more sensible than the alternative dreamed up, or because the houserule does not function as intended. The third has the further problem of being unnecessary and often deleterious, like the addition of critical fumble rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Well, judging by how badly they're holding those swords, they probably are poor BaB. So both might be wizards?
    Touché, friend.

But while I admit that the bend of one's foil at the contact of another's shirt is a glorious moment, it rarely is found as EPIC as a confrontation of poorly-sword-holding fictional knights at the top of a cliff with lens flare and catchy aura effects, so I was forced to pick imagery based around this latter case.
    Last edited by Dr. Azkur; 2014-02-04 at 01:29 AM.
    I may or may not go by 'Doc'.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    All liches have phylacteries, but not all phylacteries have liches.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

But while I admit that the bend of one's foil at the contact of another's shirt is a glorious moment, it rarely is found as EPIC as a confrontation of poorly-sword-holding fictional knights at the top of a cliff with lens flare and catchy aura effects, so I was forced to pick imagery based around this latter case.
    You just had to bring up fencing. Now I'm stuck imagining what happens when those things have gone through too much stress and snap instead of bending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    You just had to bring up fencing. Now I'm stuck imagining what happens when those things have gone through too much stress and snap instead of bending.
    Well I'm a fencer, and it's one of my passions so yes, I do have to bring it up.

And it's actually quite hard for a foil to break (or an épée or a sabre for that matter) if you are using it correctly (and If you're not using it correctly then I don't know what you're doing up there, get down from the stage and get it together). I've seen two foils snap in a decade of fencing, both were during practice, the first was a kid who was unexperienced and was oblivious that if the blade is bending down then you're doing it wrong, and kept doing it until the obvious happened.
    The second perpetration of the hideous act was an accident, and it happened to me, I was practicing lunges against a rubberlike wall with new shoes (which were unhealthily slippery) when I twisted my ankle and went way too forward with the blade unaimed and again, the foil bent downwards.

So yeah, it doesn't happen often, and it's only when the blade bends downwards instead of up (look up a video, the arc is always up).
    Last edited by Dr. Azkur; 2014-02-04 at 02:39 AM.
    I may or may not go by 'Doc'.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    All liches have phylacteries, but not all phylacteries have liches.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by chaos_redefined View Post
    3) I get wanting to play a warrior, not a wizard. The thing I don't get is that there are ways to play a warrior where you have options. Playing a fighter/barbarian/whatever in combat means "I full attack. Then, I full attack. Oh, he moved away? I charge/move and attack." In comparison, gishes and ToB have options. Don't want a magical fighter, go look up ToB and play a warblade.
    Which is exactly why you don't play a straight up fighter. Instead, you use fighter in combination with other base classes to get into martial PrCs which have some actual special abilities, and in combination with a race that has its own special abilities, to create a character that has a lot of options while still being exclusively or almost exclusively mundane.

A human straight up fighter is obviously boring. A half-red dragon troll fighter/frenzied berserker not so much...
    Last edited by Pan151; 2014-02-04 at 02:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

So why would somebody play an fighter then, if it sucks beyond belief?*

*I chose Fighter because while CW Samurai sucks more, nobody plays CW Samurai.
    I prefer Warblade, so this part is irrelevant.

As for non-casters in general, without reading the rest of the thread (because I've never seen one of these go past page two without devolving into tangentially-related arguments), the answer is: 'Cuz I feel like it.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

There seems to be a weird subtle dichotomy growing in this thread: "Mundane classes are fun/magical classes are boring.".

I suppose it is impossible to play a boring Fighter or fun Cleric...right ?
    Last edited by Isamu Dyson; 2014-02-04 at 03:37 AM.
    Looking for beasties that'll challenge your players in combat? Step right in!