New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shichinin no Samurai (IC)

Ai glares at the goblin, and lowers her wakizashi, but still keeps it pointed at the pirate. "Very well. But I suggest you keep very still. And. Don't. Try. Anything. You'll have a lot of explaining to do."

Looking around the dock, she notices that most of the other impromptu defenders are relatively well. Most of them, but not all. As one of them lifts the dead catgirl to shore, she bows her head in respect. I shall weave a tale for you, defender. After a moment, she addresses the others.

"Well, pirates in Edo--no longer. The authorities will hopefully be here soon, to help clean up this...mess."

She turns her attention back to the goblin. Ripping some cloth from nearby debris, she proceeds to tie his hands behind his back. "What brings pirates to the capital? And more importantly, who sent you?"

At the same time, she can't help but think that it's going to be rather complicated explaining why a traveling minstrel jumped in to defend against a pirate attack...

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Intimidate:[roll]1d20+3 Rolls in OOC
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-02-24 at 05:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62

Renka takes a shuddering breath after vomiting blood. "Sanka... Dropped her..." Her voice was soft and weak as she worried about the sword she dropped while fighting, not wanting to abandon it.
    Lovely Mokou avatar by Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mokou-tan View Post
    Renka takes a shuddering breath after vomiting blood. "Sanka... Dropped her..." Her voice was soft and weak as she worried about the sword she dropped while fighting, not wanting to abandon it.
    Tsukiko looks down in shock at what was once a corpse, and now is a very living being, and nearly drops her. Once she regains her composure, she smiles and says, "I see Izanagi has saved you from the clutches of Yomi." She sets Renka down gently and continues, "Don't worry. I'll find your blade for you." With that, she turns back out to sea and searches for Sanka.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception Check: (1d20)[10]

Might not be the best person to look for this.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2014-02-24 at 06:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Shishi wipes the blood off Kamikirinoken and walks back to retrieve the blade's heavy leather scabbard. She slings the sheathed nodachi across her shoulders, swinging her left arm over the grip and holding the blade in place with the crook of her elbow. Washi cries out and flies up to land on the scabbard of her blade, where the bird proceeds to groom itself.

Adjusting the clothe over her mouth and nose, Shishi walks up to the other defenders, keeping a respectful distance from the group. "She's alive?" Shishi astonishingly asks. "That hit sounded so solid, I didn't think..."

Shishi quickly scans the waters, trying to spot her follow catfolk's blade in them. She then turns her attention to the smoke-filled waters. "Think any more are headed this way?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception to spot sword - (1d20+7)[22]
    Perception to spot on the waters - (1d20+7)[20]

5. - Top - End - #65

HalflingRangerGuy

Utashi smiles to himself with a sort of grin satisfaction his skills had clearly deteriorated, but his blade has struck true when the need was greatest Perhaps you are more than an empty vessel after all, old man, but you are still far from your former self, stay humble. The thought pushed the high of battle from his mind, and he remembered the fallen woman and why he had come to the docks in the first place. Panic struck him. No! It can't be! Not after all that had transpired. She can not be dead! Unaware of the commotion on shore, he began to frantically search the waters around his feet where he had seen the womans blade fall. Praying he would not find what he feared he would find. Dear spirits, please. Not when I was so close.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20)[15]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Aiko stumbled, her head in her hands as she tried to shake off the headache and ringing in her ears. Ugh... It's been a while since that's happened. Her hands came away from her face bloody; there would probably be a new scar or two, such as all gunslingers earned eventually, but she still had both of her eyes. Something to be thankful for.

She looked around for her weapon, soon finding it, a twisted mass of blackened metal and splintered wood, worthless, although it seemed as though the lock would be serviceable with a new plate... She slung the destroyed weapon over her shoulder, and turned to survey the battlefield.

The girl! Aiko dashed over to the other defenders who had gathered near the waterline. Surprisingly, she seemed to still be alive, barely. She's a lucky one... I thought she was done for, she thought. Still, she needed a healer, fast, and where were the Shogun's men, anyway?

She turned to those still standing; "She needs a healer, and we should have reinforcements, incase they send another wave. My horse is not far from here, I will return as soon as I have found those we need."
    Last edited by Ahmanae; 2014-02-25 at 06:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Surveying the destruction along the coast, the dead bodies, the blood, the smoke. Mizuno is struck by how much carnage could happen in so short amount of time, looking back at the bodies that lay behind him, his eyes still wide with the shock of battle, his blood soaked wakizashi slide from his grasp

I'm.. alive...

He brings up his shaking bloody hands in front of his face

Mama, your boy is a man now... and a monster

Mizunosits on the blood soaked bench of one of the boats his swords at his feet, he is turned away from the coast, his hands clasped in front of him, eyes out to sea, no one can see tears down his face, or the nervous smile that briefly crawls across his mouth.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Renka's dropped blade is easily recovered between those searching for it.

Farther up the beach is a small knot of civilians tending to their injured, with more joining them from the direction of the fires still raging at the north end of the docks. Many more uninjured men and women are bailing water onto the fire, and they seem to be getting it under control.

A handful of samurai on horseback appear from the same direction as well - they are heavily armed and clearly prepared for a fight, but they slow from a full gallop to a mild trot as soon as they can see the carnage on the beach.

The leader signals for his horsemen to stop and help the civilians, then rides further down the beach to greet your ad-hoc militia.

"It seems we're too late... can anyone tell me what happened here? We came as soon as we heard the cannons but it seems we weren't needed after all." The samurai leader is a tall man neatly trimmed black facial hair and pale blue armor. His left shoulder bears the crest of the shogun, while the right bears a different crest. (Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty DC 15 to determine identity of the crest.)

Meanwhile Ai is busy with the goblin - she tries to press him for information, but the dimunitive pirate is tight lipped, saying nothing.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

9. - Top - End - #69

Shishi glances at the samurai briefly, before looking back and Ai and the goblin captive. She didn't have much interest in dealing with one of the Shogun's men, and decides someone else can do the explaining. With a slight bow, the catgirl backs away and goes to join the Kitsume.

"Not talking? Oh well. We might as well make some use of him," she says grinning and gently scratching the falcon perched on her scabbard. "Washi here gets pretty hungry after a fight. He just loves eyeballs, the fresher the better. And goblins have such nice, large, juicy eyes.

"You hungry, boy? You ready for a snack?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate - (1d20+5)[17]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Tsukiko carries Renka's sword back to her, sits down beside her, and says quietly, "Well...I know you died. What happened?" When the samurai leader rides down, Tsukiko looks up and gives him a respectful bow somehow, while still sitting down.

11. - Top - End - #71

Renka smiles as her sword is returned to her. "Amaterasu has need of me. She gave me life to live for her. What miko could refuse?" It was obvious she was struggling to talk. "At least I know that it wasn't a hallucination." She laughs softly, coughing a little towards the end.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Aiko turned the Shoguns men, and bowed. "I am Tsukahara Aiko, of Karatsu; it is a pleasure to meet you. Pirates bearing the Shoguns crest attacked the harbor, but they fled when we killed or captured their landing party. Our comrade is gravely wounded, I would appreciate any aid you could give her."

Spoiler
    Show
    If I can make the knowledge check untrained, here's my shot;

[Roll]1d20+2[/roll]

Okay, so I can't roll in an edit. It's in the OOC.
    Last edited by Ahmanae; 2014-02-28 at 11:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Ai grins when Shishi addresses the goblin. Here's someone who knows her work well.

She glances up at the samurai, and bows, slightly. The kitsune with the gun appeared to be talking with them. Good. The less she herself stood out, the better. Though by fighting the goblins she had already made herself rather conspicuous.

The catgirl, apparently, was also not as dead as she seemed to be. She was saying something about...Amaterasu? Strange.

Now I had better decide which cover story I'm going to be using...

14. - Top - End - #74

HalflingRangerGuy

Utashi watched closely as another catgirl pulled the blade from the water. It was not as he feared, and seeing the woman miraculously revived ashore he looks contentedly relieved.

He takes some time to clean his blade and observe the defenders. There were 5 young girls with catlike ears, and a young man. Utashi figured all were around 20 years of age. The spirits mocked him. He was no closer to his goal.

When the shoguns samurai arrived, he finally made his way to the shore, playing the part of the crippled old man, he listened, but did not say anything.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon Shishi's introduction of the falcon, Washi, to the equation, the goblin begins to sweat. At first he says nothing, but after a few moments of further consideration he finally cracks.

"I'll tell you everything! Everything, just let me live! And let me keep my eyes!"

He begins by laying out the basic plan of the pirates:

"It was simple, really - Admiral Chen, our leader, he had one of the Shogun's ships taken at night, weeks ago. He had it studied - copied the paint scheme onto one of our larger ships; let us sail right into the harbor. Then, while the ship caused a distraction, we'd come ashore and take everything we could from the warehouses at the docks, then set some fires on our way out to cover our escape. We should have been gone before anyone arrived to fight back.

With that one move we'd have had more wealth in a single day than in months of traditional raiding... should have been easy, but well... yes."

He quiets down, satisfied he's told you everything you want to know (though you could certainly ask further questions.)

----

The samurai leader recipricates Tsukiko's bow, albiet very shallowly and quickly.

Aiko immediately recognizes the second crest on the man's shoulder: The crest of the Hojo family. You don't know a great deal about them, but you do know they were once extremely powerful and respected, but have been in decline for some years.

Spoiler
    Show
    - This is the crest you see.

The samurai leader's face darkens as he hears Aiko's report of events. "Wako, here in the capitol? If I weren't seeing it first hand I'd call it absurd, but... dark times indeed. We will do what we can for your friend, I'm sure the magistrate for the harbor ward will want to speak with all of you as well.

Ah, I've forgotten my manners, - I am Hojo Tetsuo. Let me thank you on behalf of the Shogun for intervening here - without your help more lives would have been lost I suspect.

If you'll all come with me we'll speak to the magistrate and get medical care for your friend here sorted out."

He gestures up the path the way he came, walking his horse rather than riding it as you go.

You can see now that the fire is almost entirely out - and most of the damage caused by the pirate raid was superficial.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Tsukiko smiles at Renka as she says, "Wow...Not even Izanami was able to return from Yomi...Amaterasu certainly has something planned for you," as whistles for Yutaka. When her horse comes, she carefully helps Renka on and takes the reins, saying to Tetsuo, "Lead on, Tetsuo-San."

17. - Top - End - #77

As she rides with Tsukiko, Renka says, "Thank you, Onee-san. I should give you my name, Mana Renka."
    Last edited by Mokou-tan; 2014-03-01 at 09:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Ai laughs as the goblin blurts out the plans, but inwardly tries to piece things together. So it was just a scheme to get rich quickly. Perhaps. This is interesting news, all the same.

She jerks the goblin to his feet and steers him after the samurai of the Hojo clan, though she wasn't quite sure if she had caught everything. As she walks, she addresses the catgirl.

"Well, you certainly made him talk fast. And since it appears we'll all be in each other's company for a while longer, it would probably be best if we learned each other's names. I am Saito Makoto. Thank you again for the help with the goblin."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Tsukiko laughs and says, "My name is Suziome Tsukiko."

20. - Top - End - #80

"Ah, yes. Nice to meet you Ms. Saito," Shishi replied absentmindedly, as she glances at the various samurai assembled at the shore. With a sigh, she decides interrogating the goblin probably cost her the chance to slip away. "I'm, ah, Shishi." she finally replies awkwardly.

Shishi blows a couple breaths at Washi and shakes her sword. The hawk gives her an annoyed look and then flies off to perch on a nearby building. Shishi takes the cloth off of her face and ties it back around her sword's handle. Grimacing as the lingering smoke reaches her nose, Shishi slaps the goblin with her scabbard to urge it to walk faster.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Aiko nods, deciding to collect her horse and saddlebags from the stables on their way out, she looks around to see if the others are coming, and follows after Tetsuo.

22. - Top - End - #82

HalflingRangerGuy

Utashi doesn't say a word, but follows along with the group. He watches everybodys face closely and listens intently to their names.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Mizuno begins to pull himself tog ether, becoming aware of the gathered forces the beach, quickly he checks himself over, worrying at a small bit of blood on the front of his kimono

After he was sure he was presentable Mizuno turns around, seeing the cat girl he thought by all rights should have been dead conversing with others, albeit in a more horizontal position gladdened his heart. It positively burst when he saw the collected villagers dousing the fire most of them healthy and untouched by sword, fire, or spear.

Maybe...maybe a hero must be both a man, and a monster in equal measure, to gain the strength necessary to defend those who cannot defend themselves.... perhaps I will write to Master as well as Mother the next time I can, I would appreciate his perspective on my actions today

Fully collected Mizuno rejoins the group on the beach standing next to the old Samurai whose skill and speed finished the giant monster off.

Mizuno bows deeply

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Greetings Sensei,thank you for fighting by our sides today, we could not have won without you.I hear we are expected to meet with the local magistrate, if possibly afterward I would like to buy you a rice cake and hot tea to show my appreciation. [/COLOR]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

The party is led through the wide main path from the harbor up into the city proper. The magistrate for the harbor ward has a modest office building near the edge of her jurisdiction.

Shortly the party arrives, and Tetsuo precedes you into the small building where a very aged halfling woman wearing a rather plain white robe sits in seiza.

Before her is a vast stack of scrolls, an inkpot and a brush; though these are currently idle. She regards the party with a wisened glance, nodding softly to Tetsuo to proceed.

"Abe-sama, I am here to report that pirates have attacked Edo harbor. The damage is minimal, though a few small fires were started."

"Just wonderful, as if I didn't have enough work to do." She sighs heavily. "We'll go over the details later; right now I would like to know about your guests, Hojo-san. You obviously didn't bring them without a reason."

Tetsuo nods to the group, stepping to one side so Naoko Abe, magistrate of the harbor ward, can get a good view of the party.

"These brave souls were at the harbor when it was attacked. They repelled the pirates, saving the docks from much more significant destruction, not to mention preventing greater loss of life. Most sustained only minor injuries, but one woman was nearly killed in the process."

"I see." The old halfling looks over the roomful of people. "You have done this office, and the entire city a great service, and we are grateful for it. Tetsuo - fetch the doctor wouldn't you? It wouldn't do to have one of our guests bleed out while I'm trying to reward them."

Tetsuo nods once more and leaves the room.

"Now then, I have to wonder..." She gives the group a steely glance "What were so many armed individuals doing in my harbor immediately before the pirates attacked, hrm? I am of course quite grateful for your efforts, but it seems like it's a bit too good to be true, you know?"

She leaves the question hanging there, waiting for someone to answer.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Renka coughs a little before answering. "Fate brought me here.... I'm just a miko who is seeing the world... and... bringing blessings... This blessing was one of protection." She smiles a very sincere smile that radiated kindness even with blood trickling from the corner of her mouth.
    Last edited by Mokou-tan; 2014-03-04 at 11:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

HalflingRangerGuy

Utashi tells the Magistrate the same thing he told the young boy. "I was lucky. I am just an old man who enjoys rice cakes and tea." He repeated it now as he had then, with a boyish grin and a slight bow. He took a great pride in being the man who felled the mighty beast, but also a great shame in his completely inept attempts to repel any of the goblins. He was grateful that it was the former act and not the later that drew witnesses.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"For myself, I was under orders from my Lord Akimoto to deliver the Shoguns tribute; a few hours either way and I would not have been there when the pirates attacked."

28. - Top - End - #88

"Came to see someone off from your harbor," Shishi replies, the flick an ears punctuating the annoyance in her voice. "Wasn't suppose to see him off, but wasn't suppose to be fighting Wokou on the beach either. And now... well just hasn't been my day."

29. - Top - End - #89

"I had been hoping to find more business there today. Unfortunately, all I found was pirates. And...well, I often travel alone. Having the proper tools to defend oneself, and being able to utilize them well, is a rather valuable skill."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"I just happened to be passing by. The reason why I am armed is because I seek the head of the man who killed my father, and I recently learned there may be someone who knows of this man in the dock area today."